How do I convince my parents to let me audition for SM?

Guest pupball567

Guest asuka1430291743

starzXshinee said: Just audition!

My cousin told me the most parents discourage you from even trying to audition because they do not want you to be sad if you do not pass. I like that reasoning, so base on that, just prove to your parents that you are capable of making it in.

And if you do pass, someone who works in SM can tell your parents more about SM so they know that you are in good hands. [not convince your mum to let join though]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this was a year ago, but I feel like all of you are badgering or trying to insult @pupball567...
Like... calling her ugly? Really?
Yes, we're here to talk about the realistic aspect of joining the music industry, but we're also here to support and help guide our fellow soompiers to achieve their goals and dreams.... we're NOT here to bash them.
@pupball567 / @musicsmyforte ... whatever her username is, reminds me a lot of MYSELF when I was her age.
Of course now I've grown up and accepted that my young dream is probably not going to come true. But for those that are still young.... we have to give them HOPE. Not discouragement.
I don't know if you're still going for your dream, but OP, I just want to tell you to keep going for it until your legs can't carry you any further.

• 2 months later...
Guest beccalious

Dont worry...i have this same situatin too...but its my dad who dont really agree of me being in a kpop industry or being a singer....

Well audition at the first place...den if they choose you then there would be a better chance....i mean this is what i am doing right now...my father wont really pay for me going to korea so i am auditioning through mail post...(not email)...cuz its a better chance that theyll look than the emails...btw convince them again an again n show them that you hav the potential....they wont want you to go to something that you dont want...they would want your best right..???

So have the courage n convince them till they agree....

Same hea i convinced them ove n over gain...n now they agreed with me...bt not the flight to korea yet..hehehe..

So...try to show them more of you and last but not the least...

PrayToGod....^___^*

• 3 weeks later...
Guest liyiknam37

To be honest if you want this badly enough, parents or what not should not even be the main problem to you. I know family is important and having their support is all good...but not everyones parents are going to "eventually" realize  that. If you want this, go out of your way to make it happen. If you can't seem to convince your parents or change their opinions you should not wait too long, I mean kpop industry's wants young people and just remember and hopefully don't let this problem hinder you from your passion. Whether you make it or not really depends on your effort, if your parents don't let you do something about it, convincing is only words...actions are the best. I know a friend who flew to Korea just to chase for his dream and went to different companies JUST to hand in applications. He made his own money and flew to Korea whenever he had time off form school. I know this other girl who saves up her monthly allowances (lunch money) to use it for her applications she sends through post for her applications. Stay determined and stay strong and if you want this you should really fight for it (not physically of course).

• 5 weeks later...
Guest yongjun yu

i duno whether my parents allow or not coz i dun dare to ask...my mother always say those artists sleep with their boss to debut..i  like wad the..LOL..not all boss is so %$@*^..my mum say plane ticket is expensive =(...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pupball567

AnthonyKkoKko said: I know this was a year ago, but I feel like all of you are badgering or trying to insult @pupball567...
Like... calling her ugly? Really?
Yes, we're here to talk about the realistic aspect of joining the music industry, but we're also here to support and help guide our fellow soompiers to achieve their goals and dreams.... we're NOT here to bash them.
@pupball567 / @musicsmyforte ... whatever her username is, reminds me a lot of MYSELF when I was her age.
Of course now I've grown up and accepted that my young dream is probably not going to come true. But for those that are still young.... we have to give them HOPE. Not discouragement.
I don't know if you're still going for your dream, but OP, I just want to tell you to keep going for it until your legs can't carry you any further.

Guest pupball567

Thanks to everyone who responded to this post....lol I didn't know that people could still post things on this topic, tbh I thought it was locked and I tried to lock it cause I was sort of embarrassed about asking help for something I didn't really understand completely. But I got a lot of people responding to this post I made a while back and I think I should say thank you again for posting because I think I sort of needed that slap across the face and realize reality. But I still can't let go of that dream you know? So yeah...I felt like posting again XD Thanks and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

• 5 months later...
Guest Shannel Iruguin

Hey I'm a Filipino too!!And I also want to audition in SME but my mom won't let me do it :(( while my father really support me :)) ....I dont know how to convince my mom but I'll make her say YES!!

• 1 month later...
Guest elliekpopgirl3

Hi! I'm Ellie and it's my first time joining this website. I need help convincing my parents too. I have a lot of questions to ask:

1. Is there a way for me to convince them to let me do it? My parents already know that I want to become a star, but they kept telling me to study. They also told me that I'm not ready to do it.
  2. How may rounds do you have to be in for the audition?
  3. I'm Korean/American but I don't know how to speak fluently.
  4. If you're applying for being a singer, does that mean I'm only singing or I have to do something else?
  5. Will they teach me how to dance even though I can't dance?
  6. Will the agency pay for the flight, etc.?
  7. If your skin is dark or tan, do they give you something to whiten your skin?
  8. What's a good age to audition? I'm 11.
  9. For weekly allowance, how much do they give you?
I hope you would answer all of my questions ASAP! Thxs!

• 2 months later...
Guest Benjamin Chen

I need help also my dad said he wouldnt cause of the bombing and stuff like that its sorta heart breaking dream crushing but i dont know how to convince him to let me  do it

• 2 years later...
On 19 April, 2011 at 10:37 AM, pupball567 said:

I need advice.

I'm pretty sure there are similar questions like this online, but I'll feel better if I ask anyway. So I guess it's time to introduce myself...sort of.

I'm 13 years old in 7th grade going to 8th soon. I live in California. Filipino :D. I LOVE singing and dancing. And I want to be singer/dancer/musician in South Korea. (I want to join SM)

Now for the more detailed stuff...(sorry it's so long =,=)

They both know I sing/dance. I've danced a little bit of Lucifer in front of them (the tutting part) and they got big smiles on their faces...which made me want to dance more for them, but at that time that was all I knew. I wanna keep doing that though. I just want to dance and make them smile again! But it's sort of embarrassing.

BUT! I got up the courage and told her about the whole moving to South Korea today. And how SM pays for the school/living expenses, and what the trainees do. But since mom doesn't know ANYTHING about K-pop music and how companies work she doesn't trust SM Entertainment. 

Plus she told me that I won't be able to finish college and that the whole "korean" thing is just an obsession that won't get me anywhere. *big sigh* she's real disappointed (remember we're all Filipino here)....what else can I do to convince her? Should I just try and audition behind her back? Then if I pass try to convince her?(Even though I'll feel real bad)But right now I sort of want to just tell them that I want to go to the Philippines for high school, so over there I'll be able to audition online w/out being discouraged.

I've always been positive about this despite my race/face/and other negative things people said about going down this road and I'm still trying my best to show her. I know this is gonna be a lot of work and that my chances are little, but I REALLY want to do this. So I'm not gonna give up. (Plus she said it MAYBE if we had any relatives there)...she said MAYBE with that exception ^_^ that means she'll be okay as long as there's someone w/ me....at least I think so....but maybe I'm being to hopeful again. lol

Plz give me more advice on what to do!

And I also want to know if I can go to college while doing all this too! Um...one more thing. I'm sorry for making you read all this >,<' It's just something that I don't know how to go about with. Anyways THANK YOU! :D

Hi,I also want to audition but for jyp.SM is too hard for me.I'm 11 this year and I study in Singapore.Next year is my last year of primary school.My parents do not know that I want to be a kpop star and I do not want to tell them either.They will be the first person to reject it.If I wait after I finish my studies,I'll be 18 or 19,which is too old for auditioning.I'll be able to debut in either my middle or late 20s.I want to debut in my late teens around 18 or 19 to continue singing for a longer time.i really enjoy singing and dancing but I can't really pull off dancing.I believe I'll be able to pull it off when I'm training.My parents won't allow me to audition now because they want me to study well and be a normal person.Most parents don't understand this dream of many.I can't wait any longer,that will be too late to regret.I don't think my parents will allow me to audition next year even after I complete my primary school.If I audition after secondary school,I'll be 16 or 17 which I think is also too late.I can't quit my secondary school studies in the middle because I don't think that is very good.Not many parents are supportive of this dream of their children.My parents are one example.They will never understand this dream of mine.But I really want to audition for it.My friend told me last time that she wanted to be a sm trainee and I told her that she is crazy,but now I'm dreaming about it myself,I must be crazier.But so what?Its my passion,it's my dream.No one understands it.But I know if my parents don't understand,my dream will never come true.My parents never wanted me to be star,they just want me to be a normal person,excel in studies.But that isn't what I want.I'll regret it for my life if I don't audition this life.I'll never be able to get a chance.My passion for singing never dies.I don't want to regret this.My brother is 18 and I don't want to wait till I'm 18 till regret it.I hope someone can help me.If I audition next year after primary school,it may be too early.But after secondary school may be alright.Middle of secondary school might be fine if I have the courage to talk to my principal.But most importantly,my parents.Someone please help me.

Archived