[22-Aug-12][enewsworld]Rain′s ‘R2B' To Open in 13 Cities in North America
2012-08-23

credit:
scorpiola@rain-cloud.co.kr

http://enewsworld.mnet.com/enews/contents.asp?idx=13059

Rain′s ‘R2B: Return to Base’ To Open in 13 Cities in North America
2012-08-22 23:00  l   CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung
Translation Credit : Stewart Ho   

R2B: Return to Base is set to ‘fly’ into theaters in North America.

Beginning on August 24, the jet pilot action movie will screen in theaters in LA, San Diego, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey, Honolulu, Toronto and Vancouver. The movie will also screen in Chicago beginning on August 31.

54778244.jpg

After opening in North America, the movie will expand to other continents with 30 countries already set to screen the movie.

The movie stars Rain, Kim Sung Soo, Shin Se Kyung, Yoo Joon Sang and more and premiered in Korea on August 14.

Photo Credit: CJ E&M

------------------------------------------------------------------

"R2B: Return To Base" OST revealed and Chinese subtitles

2012/08/22

photo253240.jpg

The OST and music video for "R2B: Return to Base" were released in South Korea on August 21. Titled "Close to the Sun (태양 가까이)" the song features the lyrical voice of singer and former "Voice of Korea" contestant Heo Gyu as well as electric guitar and base arrangements. The actual OST album will also include an acoustic-pop version of "Close to the Sun", performed by Cho Hyun-ah of indie band Urban Zakapa.

Mixed with heartwarming scenes between the "R2B" characters and the film's acclaimed aerial shots, the "Close to the Sun" music video is sure to blast away this summer's heat wave.

"R2B: Return to Base" releases with Chinese subtitles

For the first time ever in North America, CJ Entertainment America is releasing "R2B: Return to Base" with Chinese subtitles at AMC Atlantic Times Square in Monterey Park! Rain's image as a KPOP artist and appearance in dramas, such as "Full House", have garnered significant popularity in the Chinese and Chinese American community. For a full list of releasing theaters in North America, visit: http://www.r2b2012.com/#!locations/c24vq

Source : www.r2b2012.com... ( English Korean )

Source: http://www.hancinema.net

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rain's New Movie 'R2B' to Get Theatrical Release in U.S.

2012082300627_0.jpg

The movie "R2B: Return to Base" will be released in 13 cities in North America.

The drama starring Jung Ji-hoon, better known overseas by his stage name Rain, will hit cinemas on Friday in Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Honolulu, Toronto and Vancouver.

One week later, it will open in
Chicago.

The film, directed by Kim Dong-won, focuses a combat flying unit as it embarks on a reconnaissance mission in
Seoul and a daring raid to rescue missing members of the team when the mission goes awry.

englishnews@chosun.com / Aug. 23, 2012 10:01 KST

credit : Chosun Ilbo

'R2B: Return to Base' to Release in the U.S. in 13 Cities

29221-r2b-return-to-base-to-release-in-t

The movie "R2B: Return to Base" will be released in theaters in 13 cities in the U.S.

The movie will be released in 13 cities including L.A, San Diego, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Honolulu, Toronto, Vancouver and Chicago.

With already over 30 presales for this movie overseas, they will start with the release in the U.S. and continue its way to other countries.

"R2B: Return to Base" is the story about the 21st fighter wing operations.

Source : kpopstarz

Lee Jong Seok reveals his friendship with world star Rain

August 23, 2012

20120823_1345714288_70718300_1.jpg

Actor Lee Jong Seok revealed his friendship with Rain.

On the afternoon of August 23, Lee uploaded a picture on his Me2day with the caption, “With my best idol. Rain who came out on furlough. Of course I love and respect Joon Sang and Sung Soo as well… Those of you who did not watch R2B yet, go watch it this weekend.”

The friendly atmosphere stood out the most. Lee is standing close to Rain and making a V sign. His bright smile attracts attention.

His sharp fashion caught the eye. Lee showed off his casual style by wearing a simple T-shirt and a necklace. Rain revealed his manly charms by wearing a collared shirt.

Netizens commented: “It’s been a while Rain!” “Lee Jon Seok loves Rain!” “Advertising for R2B even in moments like this.” “So heartwarming.”

The movie is about the young pilot (played by Rain) of Korea’s Black Eagles unit struggling to stop the attacks from an unknown combat plane through the unofficial strategy: Return 2 Base.

• Source: TV Report//http://en.korea.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

R2B: Return To Base Thailand version poster

2012-08-24

Credit: Sinceremag//scorpiola@rain-cloud.co.kr

603493_514362138589821_1226665880_n.jpg

Unreleased kissing scenes of Rain and Shin Se Kyung are so hot

918.jpg

Unreleased kissing scenes of Rain and Shin Se Kyung recently attracted a lot of attention.

The production company of the film R2B: Return to Base (directed by Kim Dong Won), which was released on August 14, released two unreleased kissing scenes of Rain and Shin, which weren’t seen in the film.

In some snapshots of the scenes, Rain and Shin kiss each other while they’re on a date and Shin kisses Rain as he safely returns to the ground, surrounded by Rain’s fellows who are giving a big cheer for them.

In a press interview for the film, which was held on August 8 at the Wangsimni CGV, Shin attracted a lot of attention by answering, “It was good,” to the question about how the shooting for the kissing scenes with Rain was.

Shin also said, “I shot two kissing scenes with Rain, but all of them were deleted. It was the director’s decision to make the story better. I understood why the scenes had to be deleted while I was watching the completed film, but I honestly feel sad.”

R2B: Return to Base is about the 21st Air Force Group that unofficially fights against unidentified combat planes appearing in Seoul. It stars Rain, Yoo Jun Sang, Shin Se Kyung, Kim Sung Soo, Lee Hana, and Lee Jong Suk.

class="art_title"Shin Se-kyung Aims to Smash Stereotypes with New Movie 'R2B'

Aug. 25, 2012

2012082500302_1.jpg
Shin Se-kyung

"R2B: Return to Base" is not attracting hordes of moviegoers at the local box office, even though it was initially expected to draw a great deal of interest as it is Korea's first action film set in the air and contains thrilling scenes of fighter jets in action.

The movie, which focuses on a combat flying unit on a rescue mission, features state-of-the-art fighter jets such as the F-15K and TA-50 flying at altitudes of around 10,000 m, as well as zipping through downtown Seoul.

Shin Se-kyung, who appears in a landmark role as an aircraft mechanic, said, "I met two real female mechanics at Daegu Air Force Base while shooting the film. I didn't really model myself after them, but I observed them and peppered them with questions."

She said she shuttled between Seoul and the air force base for two months to fill out the edges of the character in order to play a more convincing role.

Shin debuted as a poster model for Seo Tai-ji's fifth album when she was just nine years old. Asked if she had dreamed of becoming an actress since her childhood, she said, "My first acting job came in 'My Little Bride' when I was 14. After that, I didn't act [for the next five years] because I didn't get any offers. I've only been acting again for the last three years, which is when my confidence in my choice of career grew."

"I started to get noticed after I appeared in MBC's hit sitcom 'High Kick Through the Roof' in 2009. Before that, I couldn't get any role no matter how hard I tried," she said. "So I had to focus on my studies at school, which was invaluable and something I wouldn't go back and change."

Some critics have questioned her acting skills and say her popularity is purely based on her attractive looks, but Shin remains unfazed.

"It's like riding a seesaw," she said. "The reason some people like my acting, but some don't, might be because I haven't built up enough experience yet. I'll keep trying to iron out the kinks, and not take other people's comments too much to heart."

"I will smash the stereotype of me being just another pretty face by cultivating my acting skills and showing that I can really act well."

Source:englishnews@chosun.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

12-08-23 Film Review: R2B: Return to Base

Posted by ratoka on August 24, 2012@memo-rain

enewsworld2.jpg

class="subheadline"Korean air saga joins the terrifically entertaining tradition of classic flight films like Wings, Hell’s Angels and Only Angels Have Wings.

Aug 23, 2012

-By David Noh

For movie details, please click here.

In an odd coincidence, the Korean air saga R2B: Return to Base, doubtlessly inspired by Top Gun, is being released just a week after the apparent suicide of that film’s director, Tony Scott. Here we have Jung Tae-hun (Korean pop megastar Rain, aka Jung Ji-hoon), in the Tom Cruise reckless-hotshot role, an achingly young fighter pilot who is kicked off an elite show team for his daredevil antics and demoted to a fighter wing. His brash ways raise the hackles of his fellow pilots, who include the far more straitlaced squad leaders Cheol-hui (Yu Jun-sang) and Park Dae-seo (Kim Sung-soo), a widowed single father. Also in their midst are two women, Yu-jin (Lee Ha-na), who harbors a secret crush on Dae-seo, and Se-yeong (Shin Se-kyung), the wing’s talented top maintenance technician, whose faulty hearing is the only thing which keeps her out of the air.

Ever in the doghouse, impulsive Tae-hun has a full plate, as he must win the annual Air Force flying competition (to rejoin the show team) as well as the heart of Se-yeong, who has a true love-hate relationship with this upstart. Additionally, those villainous North Koreans are ever afoot, staging a bloody coup which threatens their neighbors in the south, providing one more do-or-die mission for our young hero.

Under Kim Dong-won’s ebullient direction, Return to Base, for all its genre derivativeness and predictability, is pretty swell entertainment. Kim’s canny delineation of character and alertness to the comradely humor of so many of his situations make this a far more convincing (and far less camp) flight movie than Top Gun. The gruff macho and bluster inherent in Korean men, illustrated by these actors, seems far more organic here than the richard simmons-o’-the-walk strutting of those male ingénues in the Scott film. And there’s none of the weirdly unsettling homoeroticism of glistening, muscled bodies posing in the locker room in barely-there towels, which made Top Gun often so risible. The embattled characters here are not cartoons and you come to genuinely care about them, which gives appreciable depth to all the action pyrotechnics, which are quite spectacular in their myriad, breathlessly shot and edited live action and CGI.

Rain is a deeply ingratiating presence, unafraid to play the fool, with an amusing panoply of funny faces and goofball shtick. Shin is fetchingly feisty and shares a juicy, combative chemistry with him. The other actors fill out their roles nicely, all of them possessing that inordinate handsomeness which has been such an asset and source of appeal of the Korean soap operas which have quite swept the world with their popularity.

SOURCE http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/reviews/specialty-releases/e3i570d1e8ef89a648df8ac9ca14e096c63

How is the performance of the movie in the 2nd week? I think it is weird or strang that we have more news and coverage over a kissing scene of the movie that wasn't even in the movie instead of hearing more about the content of the movie, about Rain's acting, about the reaction of the audience, about how the movie is performing in general. Seriously, seeing this hype about the kissing scene I wonder if anybody really cares about the movie and the acting in it. Sorry, this is only my opinion :\"> And it is even more strange showing kissing scenes now in the press that were deleted at the first place as I wonder what they intended with this. Is the movie not doing well enough and now they try to attract more attention with this? Just wondering.

[Movie Review] “R2B: Return to Base” featuring Rain and Shin Se Kyung

(ALLKPOP)

August 26th, 2012 by Oh! Kpop

Vi84zC62.jpg

Earlier today, Rain‘s latest aerial action film ‘R2B: Return to Base‘ (English title: ’Soar Into the Sun‘) headed into select North American theaters.

> Plot Synopsis

Under the direction of Kim Dong Won, ‘R2B: Return to Base’ is a star-studded military aerial action film inspired by the 1963 Korean film ‘Red Scarf‘. Rain (‘Fugitive Plan B‘, ‘Ninja Assassin‘) stars as a cocky fighter pilot by the name of Taehoon. Although Taehoon is an excellent pilot, his big head leads him to his demotion from his elite Black Eagles squad to the 21st Fighter Wing.

Taehoon immediately butts heads with the 21st Fighter Wing’s Falcon squad leader Chulhee, played by Yoo Jun Sang (‘You Who Rolled in Unexpectedly‘, ‘Moss‘). Chulhee is the squad’s most talented pilot and has never lost a flying competition. Unlike Taehoon, Chulhee is a stick-to-the-rule-book type of pilot.

The 21st Fighter Wing patrols the airspace around the border between North and South Korea. One day an unidentified combat plane enters their airspace, and Taehoon is forced to work alongside Chulhee and the rest of the squad in order to protect the safety of the innocent civilians below.

Other noteable mentions include actress Shin Se Kyung (‘Fashion King‘, ‘Blue Salt‘) who stars as the talented and tough, pretty-faced airplane technician Seyoung, Kim Sung Soo (‘I Like it Hot‘) who stars as Taehoon’s close senior and squad leader Daeseo, Lee Hana (‘Fair Love‘, ‘Triple‘) who stars as Taehoon’s former flight school classmate Eugene, and Lee Jong Suk (‘As One‘, ‘High Kick 3‘) who stars as the rookie pilot of the 21st Fighter Wing, Seok Hyun, who is both really excited and really nervous about being a fighter pilot.

===

> My Opinion (Note: This reflects the opinions of the author, and not necessarily those of allkpop.)

Korea has had a fair share of excellent war movies such as ‘Taegukki‘ and ‘71: Into the Fire‘. Naturally I hoped that ‘R2B: Return to Base’ would meet the high standards of military movies in Korea. Unfortunately, ‘R2B: Return to Base’ was quite a let down. Maybe it was due to the fact that this movie was not based on a true story, but it completely lacked originality. It seemed as if the creators of the film sat down and watched all the Hollywood military action films in existence, picked out all of their favorite scenes, and mashed them together to create ‘R2B: Return to Base’.

This mashup of concepts and ideas had a negative impact on the movie’s storyline and realism as well. On one hand, Scenes would suddenly cut in and out rather than naturally flowing from one scene to the next. There were too many short distinct scenes and not enough development and continuity. While the editors cut both kiss scenes between Rain and Shin Se Kyung, they failed to edit out other excessive scenes throughout the film. On the other hand, there were many unrealistic elements in the military aspects of the film. There were multiple occasions in which the pilots in the film would make decisions that were utterly far-fetched. If you have any knowledge or background in how threats within the military (or any sort of battle) are handled, you will be frustrated by this film.

On a positive note, the camera work and computer graphics in the film were top-notch. Aerial action films are practically unheard of in Korean cinema, but ‘R2B: Return to Base’ tested their limits by turning to Wolfe Air Aviation to film the high altitude flight scenes. Wolfe Air Aviation is the aerial camera team used for blockbuster films such as ‘Inception‘, ‘Iron Man‘, and the ‘Transformers‘ series. The aerial scenes were perfected after about 10 months of post-production.

Though Rain was successfully able to pass the g-force tests required to become a pilot, ‘R2B: Return to Base’ did not have what it takes to become a successful aerial action film. The storyline is very predictable and unoriginal, and military-based elements are unrealistic. However, if you are hoping to watch this film just to see the adorable yet sexy Rain or Shin Se Kyung on the big screen, by all means, go ahead and watch it.

===

‘R2B: Return to Base’ opened with English or Chinese subtitles in select North American theaters on Friday, August 24th. Check out the list of theaters below.

Honolulu, HI – Consolidated Pearlridge
Los Angeles, CA – CGV Cinemas
Monterey Park, CA – AMC Atlantic Times Square (Chinese subtitles ONLY)
San Diego, CA – AMC La Jolla (Opening August 31st)
Seattle, WA – AMC Alderwood
Dallas, TX – AMC Grapevine Mills
Chicago, IL – AMC Showplace Niles (Opening August 31st)
Atlanta, GA – AMC Colonial
Washington D.C. – AMC Hoffman
Philadelphia, PA – AMC 309
New Jersey – AMC Ridgefield Park
New York – AMC Empire
Vancouver, BC, Canada – Cineplex Silvercity Coquiltam
Toronto, ON, Canada – Cineplex Odeon Yonge & Dundas

-

Official Movie Trailer

-

[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base[spoilers] Movie Review: ‘R2B: Return to Base

SPOILERS! Official Music Video (“Close to the Sun” by Heo Gyu)

-

For additional information regarding the film visit the R2B 2012 website.

Note: This article does not reflect the opinions of allkpop, only of the author.

Reviewer’s Rating: (2.0 / 5)

Source: R2B 2012

Community Rating:  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (13 votes, average: 4.46 out of 5)

KOREAN WAVE > Ratings 2012.08.27

[CHART] Weekend Box Office: August 24-26

2012082708334997957_1.jpg
South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of August 24-26, 2012. [Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

Source:http://10.asiae.co.kr

Please see also: 

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2012.08.24 ~ 2012.08.26

2012/08/26

at   http://www.hancinema.net/korean-box-office-for-the-weekend-2012-08-24-~-2012-08-26-46774.html

[HanCinema's Film Review] Korean Weekend Box Office 2012.08.24 ~ 2012.08.26

2012/08/27

skipped . . . . . . .

photo253868.jpg

"The Grand Heist" came in with 537,468 (20%), after having narrowly missed out at it's only real chance of hit number one last week. Kim's historical comedy only just scrapped past Choi Dong-hoon's "The Thieves" which added 513,814 to its recording breaking total of 12,095,085. Despite holding Korea's golden boy Rain, "R2B: Return to Base" only managed to hold its ground at number four with 182,876 (6.80%), leaving Kim Dong-weon's action drama a total admissions count of just 1,059,701.

skipped . . . . . .

Please read its entirety at http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-film-review-korean-weekend-box-office-2012-08-24-~-2012-08-26-46789.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fresh R2B: Return to Base articles and ads in Atlanta.
2012-08-27

Written by: Stephe ^@@^@rain-cloud.co.kr

Cross-posted from http://cloudusa.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/images-fresh-r2b-return-to-base-articles-and-ads-in-atlanta/

We first saw R2B on opening night, 8/24 (Friday). Yesterday (Sunday 8/26), we hit the afternoon showing and had an absolute blast. The movie is even better the second time around, when you're glued to the screen and not necessarily to the subtitles. (Although we're good with it being subtitled. Dubbing over the voices would have completely ruined it. It needed the actors' natural voices and inflections.) :D

(One of  the R2B posters sent to us by the wonderful folks at CJ Entertainment America. Terri handed out some to the people who came in to watch the movie at 4:10 pm. ^@@^)

r2bmoviepostercjentusa_cusa.jpg

(The R2B article and ads that came out in the Chosun Daily News Atlanta on Friday and Saturday. The newspaper has kept articles about the movie on the front page practically every single day, and we really appreciate that. ^@@^)

r2badchosundailyatlanta08242012_cusa.jpg

r2badchosundailyatlanta08242012b_cusa.jp

r2barticlechosundailyatlanta08252012_cus

r2barticlechosundailyatlanta08252012b_cu

r2bfullpagechosundailyatlanta08252012_cu

r2bfullpagechosundailyatlanta08252012b_c

Archived