[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

Guest revengeoftheflowers

Does anyone remember if the grandmother told Damo if he should start dating Sa Ran or not? I'm just asking, because I wonder if he's breaking it off, because he assumes that they wouldn't accept Sa Ran due to her lower economic status. I know there are scenes with the grandma suggesting to Damo to date her, but I forget if they were day dream sequences!

If she did bring it up to Damo one time then I am confused why he broke up with her. I think Damo is an arrogant douchebag sometimes, but COMPLEX is one trait I didn't expect him to be. He seems pretty dumb.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Q_Park

I wonder what exactly prompted Da-mo to break up with Sa-ran. He couldn't meet her eyes when he was talking to her over dinner. First time we've seen a crying Da-mo. 

sddwgn.jpg

30mlnyc.jpg

t5k22h.jpg

aaes9c.jpg

byjb5.jpg

smzsqr.jpg

wwisfr.jpg

mbo4l5.jpg

eq9ldi.jpg

ou2ufl.jpg

2u5fgyf.jpg

11jm15l.jpg

33jlfex.jpg

wgoyfo.jpg

28jv0g4.jpg

2w7nuiu.jpg

seywzq.jpg

xp3d3k.jpg

- Kyu

Guest kawaiiyuki

I wonder what exactly prompted Da-mo to break up with Sa-ran. He couldn't meet her eyes when he was talking to her over dinner. First time we've seen a crying Da-mo. 

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

- Kyu

I'm with you on that. I haven't watched the latest 4 episodes yet but i've glanced through them and i must say, after that dinner with dad and that game of catch and that trip to japan, dm had been acting weird. Is he sick? Did he find out something about himself that he doesn't want SR to know-something that will hurt her? is he dying? (ok i'm thinking with kdrama land logic so dying is the only possiblity since we know he hasn't met her parents so objecting to the relationship isn't likely)

I'm so sad :(

How long do you guys think it will be before we find out why dm wants to break up?

Guest laceytam

Does anyone remember if the grandmother told Damo if he should start dating Sa Ran or not? I'm just asking, because I wonder if he's breaking it off, because he assumes that they wouldn't accept Sa Ran due to her lower economic status. I know there are scenes with the grandma suggesting to Damo to date her, but I forget if they were day dream sequences!

If she did bring it up to Damo one time then I am confused why he broke up with her. I think Damo is an arrogant douchebag sometimes, but COMPLEX is one trait I didn't expect him to be. He seems pretty dumb.

it was just the grandmas inmagination

i think she want to tell him after he come back from japan

Guest laceytam

So the break up was, if I'm understanding some of the comments, out of the blue (so to speak) with a lot of speculation on either his trip to Japan or the notion/idea regarding Sa Ran's step-mother working at the gisaeng house being the main cause.

Was there any indication regarding his families disapproval of who he was seeing (if that was in fact brought up)? From previous comments it seems as if his grandmother would have approved (which ultimately matters).

Did Ra Ra make any kind of stink about the "affair" other than being drunk and/or confronting (I assume) either party over the "affair"?

the reason why he break up with her was because, what he say is

saran never show her feeling toward damo

damo wants saran always thinks of him ,calls him,always want to be with him ,just the same thing damo did for her

Guest dramaok

no it is random. i mean it's not what he says it is. he made it look like it was because she won't have sex with him, but he's totally lying. i totally don't get it either. we need a male's perspective or something. cuz the way i see it, at this point in their relationship with their tender feelings for each other and all, if he really wanted to sleep w/ her i almost think she would've slept w/ him or at least went further in their physical relationship. for him to break up now is random to me too. i think something happened in Hong Kong. he's been weird since. the whole eat this food, drink this tea was weird too. it almost makes me wonder if he went and got a penis enlargement surgery and it didn't go well so he's not ready to take their relationship to anywhere for now. man.. i really don't know.

but yeah this episode was crazy. all the stakes got so high all of a sudden. things are getting so serious all of a sudden and Sa Ran's circumstance just plunged... by 20 times. she's in a pretty miserable state of affair and it looks like things are only getting worse for her. yikes.. i feel bad i ever said anything negative about her. ><

but i gotta say the random laundry scene was the most random of all random scenes.

it looks like Q-Park already translated most of the dialogue.

i'm gonna post it here hope she's okay with it.

see msg below.

---------------------------------------------------------

Guest dramaok

Let's eat first.

Tell me now.

We decided to date until one side wanted to end it, right?

Let's stop now.

Why?

Did you hear something from your grandmother?

No. Hear what?

Since we're ending, I'll be truthful.

I never liked you with innocent intentions.

I just wanted to experience you as a man since you were pretty.

Since you unnerved my pride, I couldn't give up.

<i>"The young one is playing hard to get."

<i>"Will you still not come to me?" "Will you still not fall for me?"

Things like that.

I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I would never win.

A waste of time.

But you succeeded.

Don't you understand?

Not your heart but your actions. I wanted your body.

I wanted you to use your body on me. I wanted you to throw yourself at me.

And I would act like I couldn't fight you.

Do you understand now?

I'm sorry.

You are really sincere about what you're saying, right?

How could you?

Was everything a lie?

It all started because you hurt my pride.

Then what about right now?

Do you think that I don't have pride?

I had no ulterior motive at all.

Disregarding our background,

I liked you with a pure-heart.

You probably felt it.

Thank you.

For what?

For telling me the truth.

Harsh truth is better than nice lies.

A little earlier...it would have been better if we were truthful from the beginning.

You're too young for me.

You don't understand men.

I don't want to understand men anymore.

It wasn't because I was young.

It was because I was foolish.

I read in a book

that if you have no greed, you won't be conned.

Whether I had any materialistic greeds...

I shall have to reflect on my part.

Today...

is you birthday...isn't it?

I didn't know I would be hearing this...

[waiter]

Have you finished this? Shall I clean it up?

[damo]

yes

[saran]

Excuse me...please throw this away.

[waiter]

I don't think it is empty.

[saran]

I made it...

...but it's been ruined.

I must have some kind of greed

that made this befall on me.

I feel pathetic.

I'll get up first.

Thanks to you, I earned a good experience.

I've also realized that other people may not share the same heart as I do.

i not seen yet episode 16 ....so sad damo break up with sa ran... if i'm a writer i put more conflict ....erm..how about :

1)sa ran work at damo's father company and have to work with damo and

2) the handsome the doctor fall in love with sa ran and make damo tension about this...

3) and also sa ran biogical father want to arrange marry with ra ra and conflict occurs when he knows the doctor love sa ran and at same time he knows that sa ran is her real daughter

4) also sa ran try to open her heart to the doctor and date him, even though the ra ra not interested with the doctor but she feel that all the good one go to sa ran.

5) damo try to get back saran

heheheheheheh how about that guyssss??

Guest alexus

Sadly this could be just the event needed to place Sa Ran into the gisaeng house. Moping step-daughter, bossy/semi-caring step-mother could see Sa Ran in such a state and suggest to her that she needs to re-focus on something that makes her happy (dancing) and that the best place to do that is also the least likely place she'll run into her ex.

\\cue ere-mystery music indicating foreshadowing of events\\

Has anything significant happened between Sa Ran's sister and two-face (blond/black-haired fellow) or are they still playing coy around each other?

Hi semi-fly. Took me awhile but finally got caught up. I totally agree with you. There has to be some sort of Catalyst for SR to enter the Gisaeng House. So far there isn't any reason for her to even think about venturing into that life. I don't think just because she got dumped by DaMo she would change her mind but I think it will have a part in her decision. Also it will be part of her character as a Gisaeng that she would not open her heart so easily since a man's heart, mind and desires aren't always what they portray on the outside. Should we say our parents were right?? Men are wolves in sheep's clothing?? Lol.

At first I wasn't going to watch this drama but a friend of mine recommended it and I am really enjoying it. The only reason I didn't start earlier was the mere fact it was 50 episodes. However after watching this series I can totally see the potential of history repeating itself through the lives of the children and how interconnected SR is with all of RR's family, the Gisaeng house and DaMo's family as well. I could totally see how she can save the house and also take on the role of the lady of the house in the future.

I am also secretly hoping that DaMo's parents will just kick themselves when they find out that SR is the true daughter!!! Imagine if she gets all the inheritance as well. What a sweet come back that would be for SR and a disastrous blow to RR!! Not sure whether it will be the doctor friend that would be the third wheel of the love interest for SR but whoever it maybe I want DaMo to be totally suffering from such a horrible treatment of SR.

I loved dramaok's post about the penile implant!!!! LMAO!!!! Also thank you so much for the translation. It makes it so much clearer now. Was his pride that bruised that he had to behave this way??? So what if SR didn't fall head over heels for him? When they started the relationship they agreed no skinship. Were those just empty words? Did he think that once she was hooked she would just attack him?? Seriously he is just too full of himself. He needs to suffer a lot more and really realize SR's true worth before she accepts him back. I bet once she enters the Gisaeng house and he sees her there with men just swooning over the girl that he dumped, he will be just kicking himself. Oh so many things to look forward to and so many possibilities. Love it.

I find that there's a litttle discontinuation problem in ep 16. Out of the blue, Damo wants to break up;; Grandma died without any symptom; and next ep Granpa also died with no fatal illness shown before hand. It also looks like Rara and Saran are back to normal, which is strange with Rara's personality.

Thank you dramaok and Q_Park for the translation.

This is just my wild speculation but I have a feeling that the reason that Saran decides to become a gisaeng is to screw all rich men. She said "I don't want to understand men ANYMORE" and later said "I earned a good experience". Being a gisaeng, she gets to be around all the rich men and play with their feelings/love just as how she thinks Damo's did to her. She probably won't take this breakup lightly and will probably do something about it. I don't want to say revenge because it would be too extreme.

Guest revengeoftheflowers

I find that there's a litttle discontinuation problem in ep 16. Out of the blue, Damo wants to break up;; Grandma died without any symptom; and next ep Granpa also died with no fatal illness shown before hand. It also looks like Rara and Saran are back to normal, which is strange with Rara's personality.

I agree with the randomness of the grandparents dying especially because they look so healthy! Their skin is really radiant especially that grandpa.

With Ra Ra, I can totally see her as the can't-stay-mad-forever type, and I could see her begrudgingly missing Sa Ran and trying to be friends with her again while trying not to mention what happened in the past.

I hope Rara has a happy ending. She's actually quite innocent and adorable sometimes. As for Saran, I think the reason why she might have to enter the Gisaenge might have something to do with her family right now. Maybe they need a huge amount of money or something. I just don't see her break-up with Damo as a big enough catalyst to push her to enter the Gisaenge.

Everyone seem to be shocked at the break-up.

I'm surprised too!

... mostly because it seems to be a departure from writer Im's previous MO.

I don't have any real insight from a male perspective.

This post is almost pure speculation about writer Im's intentions.

The basis for the speculations are mostly hints from the characters' intentions.

The hints were from mood music and cinematographic techniques used... not the actors' performances.

While in Hong Kong...

... Da Mo found out something about his family and his place in it.

I think he overheard something between grandmother and great-aunt.

I think it's something he can't protect Sa Ran from...

I think it's also the reason why grandmother became pro-active in getting him married.

I think it's something only grandmother's generation knew about...

So Da Mo's parents probably have no idea that a secret even exists...

Very wild speculation that it's Da Mo's father's birth secret...

I think Da Mo went to Japan because he needed to ponder over the matter away from his family.

I think Da Mo was mourning the passing of his innocent youth...

I think Da Mo was mourning the passing of his relationship with Sa Ran...

I think Da Mo was envisioning Sa Ran's emotional intimacy he desires, not physical intimacy.

I think Da Mo lied to Sa Ran about his reasons... to protect her...

I think writer Im is writing about the emotional maturation of both Da Mo and Sa Ran.

I don't think this is meant to be the catalyst for Sa Ran entering the Gisaeng house...

... but rather the catalyst for both Da Mo and Sa Ran to learn the complexity of human relationship.

Thank you dramaok and Q_Park for the translation.

This is just my wild speculation but I have a feeling that the reason that Saran decides to become a gisaeng is to screw all rich men. She said "I don't want to understand men ANYMORE" and later said "I earned a good experience". Being a gisaeng, she gets to be around all the rich men and play with their feelings/love just as how she thinks Damo's did to her. She probably won't take this breakup lightly and will probably do something about it. I don't want to say revenge because it would be too extreme.

OMo! thats so true!! I think what you said, will play out as, the reason for her 180 change in the future episodes.

ITs the perfect catalyst to further, deepen her distrust in men.

AND no matter how much i think about it, i cant fan-tom the real reason why ad damo dumped her.

Initially, while i was watching it i thought, its cuz, he is scared, that she is taking over him, or that he is completely under her spell.

Its a possibility, when people who are so used to be in control, it freaks them out, when they realize that someone else has such strong power over them.

But, when i saw him cry at the batting cage, i felt that my previous theory coudnt hold ground anymore.

WHy that imbecile!!!!!!

Sigh! I cant wait for next week, or unless, someone gives me a good explanation to be pacified.

p.s i loved the dramaok's joke. It was priceless, LMAo! =)

EDit- Ahoxan thanks!! Your explanation, is pacifying enough for me.

Atleast until next week. =P

um Edit again- what you said kinda makes sense, cuz the grandma, apparently was thinking of telling her son something, but decided she was going to tell him, later when he got back?

I dont know, but it could be important. OR i am delusional. =)

Which ever works.

Archived