[Drama 2011] The Duo 짝패

Guest yeohweping

I am one of those people who really liked this drama in the beginning but am gradually losing interest.  In fact, this week might be the last straw.  At least, until WITHS2 has fully completed subbing this drama.  For me there are several reasons:

Reason #1. The lead female is horrible--I really hate her.  

I remember that people were really into the drama until the children grew up.  Then the lead female changed and became heartless--nobody on Soompi liked her (including me).  She seems unable to choose between the two men and even now I am not sure who she truly likes.  She claims to love Gwi Dong but doesnt want Chun Dong to leave her. All the while, she insults Chun Dong for having grown up a beggar.  Ugh...Also, there is no romance in the romance she has with GD.  She is dry as a bone.  I never feel anything when they are together, it all seems so one-sided on his part.

Reason #2. Few/no subs available.

Saeguk dramas are notoriously hard to translate and this one seems to have a subbing.  The WITHS2 subs are good, but unavailable for most people and also behind the latest episode.  The DS subs are only OK.  I appreciate DS subs and use them ALOT, however,  I don't think the DS system works well for this drama.  It's just that the historical language must be difficult for most fans because even after the QC a lot of lines don't make sense to me.  So I find the whole show difficult to understand in general.  

If you combine less than stellar subs with non-emotive acting, you get a lot of confusion about how the main characters really feel about each other.

3.  No fans are even recapping the show or providing spoilers.  

Personally, when I am watching a show live, I really depend on the recaps and interest of others to help me keep my excitement up, especially for a long drama.

I used to come to Soompi for yeohwiping's spoilers on Mon and Tues, but since she stopped doing that, I have lost most of my interest in the show.  Yesterday, I unsuccessfully tried to watch the show without spoilers and without subs and had absolutely no clue what was happening.  I attribute that to weak acting because I have watched many other dramas in the past  without subs (Chuno, Cain and Abel, Secret Garden, IRIS, Dream High, to name a few) and I never really felt like I was clueless.  

The Duo is the only drama I have watched without subs where I really felt like I lost my grasp on what the characters were doing and feeling.

So IMO--weak romance+weak writing+no subs =no international audience at soompi for this drama.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest faradie

Well I personally thought the earlier episodes played by the kids was interesting. The second part of the drama was boring, for me at least!

Guest Razvan007

first 9 episodes were amazing ! Other great episodes : from 18 to 26 (after ep. 27 it starts to loose it's charm).

Interesting but also frustrating is that exactly after episode 18/19 or so,people stopped talking about the episodes,here on this topic. Reaaaaally? Just when it morphs into a decent sageuk,nobody watches anymore, or what? I've read all the comments and it seems like you guys care a lot more about who ends with who rather than the quality of the drama.Do you really think that's what makes it good or bad? The damn pairing???

"The lead actress who likes the supporting actor more",so what? You people don't have to forget that you are watching a sageuk,not some cheap melodramas where those superficial things would actually matter....

I'm disappointed that nobody seems to apreciate this drama :P. It has it's script problems but overall it's GOOD.

BTW : if anyone's interested in the song that came up in Ep. 3 and also in Ep. 21 (I don't know what minute, but if you trully are interested, you will know what song I'm talking about), send me a PM.

Guest faradie

Yep,from following a few english forums (reasonable to assume international audience, the main interest for the loss of interest arose during the 2nd half of April which coincides with the adult part of the drama and reason being the lead actress who apparently likes the supporting actor more. There is a lack of explanation for this in the drama which has tested some viewers' patience too much! Script writers and actors be warned - competition is strong and it does not take much to make viewers switch.

I can understand how people hates DongNyeo character (me too, dont like her eversince the teen era). BUT I can not understand if people lose interest in this drama because the lead female appear to like the 2nd lead male?? :wacko:

I don't care who will end up with who.. This drama is about "the jjakpae", "the duo", that means the main focus should go to Cheondoong and Kwidong, and that's this drama about. :phew:

I'm up to ep 26. Since Cheondoong is now the Araejeok leader, he sure will face Kwidong in the future as enemy. Man, I think I will :tears: a lot. Watching Kwidong facing Kang Posu and policeman Im as enemy already drew my emotion alot :( :(

Guest relly

Hi Everyone,

The Duo Episode 27 and 28 English Soft-Sub Subtitle are out.

theduobanner.jpg

The Duo 1-28 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/418-the-duo-2011/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Guest raiven

I think The Duo would've gain more international fans and will generate more discussion here if like what you guys said, withs2 made their The Duo subs available for everyone or someone is constantly recapping the series(after the episode ends) so people can watch it live even if they don't understand anything.

But I really appreciate DarkSmurf subs. Thank you for all the people who contributed in subbing this series.

Guest shyangz

Thanks Razvan007 for your post... yeah I'm a little disappointed that there's not much discussion in this thread except for who ends up with who too... Though for me my gripe is more of Chun Jung Myung as a sageuk character (i just couldn't get used to it)... I think i'm beginning to 'accept' him as chundoong when the show finally ended his hesitations with dong nyo and progressed him to more meaningful stuff (with ahraejok and now dalyi)

if you're talking about biyeon, i love it a lot!!! > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJ5vthL1Pk

also I love the other background music which happens when something funny happens within the commoners, which has yelling within the music like 'hey yah'.. i don't think it's released in any of it's ost yet, is it?

But regarding why there's so little response here, i think the drama has to consider the audience tuning in for 2 episodes every week, if there's nothing to sustain the interest (especially since this is a plot-intensive drama), once you start missing episodes, it's hard to continue later even if the drama improves.. (i relied on media reports after skipping jp for a month) I dunno, i mean, take midas for example.. i caught one episode, i think 12 or 13, and you could still sort of understand the flow of the drama, where the drama is going, e.g. the revenge, the i-love-you-even-if-we-can-never-be-together lovelines..

personally, what keeps me looking forward to the next episodes are the little scenes of the commoners and supporting characters, they are so satisfying... like how hyungam the ex-yangban tried to sell ddeok in the markets, and how he wavers and slowly gains some 'sense' from cute samwol... how grandpa giggles just seeing the freed slave girl (forgot her name)... gokji ahjusshi's ego clashes with his fellow comrades after becoming ahraejok.. ah and the ahjumma's jealosy with the ex-slave girl.. and more than how life tortures maksoon again and again, my heart goes out to kim jinsa, especially how he struggles to believe that he can love both sons equally (the scale is tipping fast).

i hope the drama doesn't end with deaths.... please~~~~~~

p.s. oh and i agree to mosyi's siggie... lee sang yoon daebak! :wub:

p.p.s more gwidong from here and here

c0120681_4d7b757220273.gif

201103070909771787_2.jpg

Guest Razvan007

Hi,shyangz!

Yeah i know what you're talking about,i also had problems getting used to Chun Jung Myung sageuk character, and i really don't know when i accepted him. Probably when he was starting to understand that he can't live idly like that ignoring the rotten world and he joined ahraejok . Oh yes,and the part when he ended his hesitations with dongnyeo was so unexpected ,we rarely see in a kdrama a character making a big decision (of that kind) ,in all the kdramas the characters will never make up their minds the entire series. So that also made me accepting him as a believable character.

I personally started the series later on, and up untill ep 28 i didn't have to wait for the episodes, i watched them in a week. I agree that if you watch as they air,it's much more difficult to continue if you're not fully satisfied with what you get :rolleyes:

Guest good123

Medium Quality

The Duo Eps. 29

200 Mb MKV File

duoe29s.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://hotfile.com/dl/118017520/efab148/Duo.E29.mkv.html

or

http://www.wupload.com/file/879175

or

http://www.easy-share.com/1915447368/Duo.E29.mkv

or

http://www.fileserve.com/file/JXyuzwh/Duo.E29.mkv

Guest yeohweping

20110517101925605.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/view?newsid=20110517101925594

Chun Jung Myung suffers serious spinal injury after falling twice from the horse riding scene shown on Ep.29

Archived