Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

So it has been 7 years since his debut...and so many works(even without the Chinese projects)! :astonished:

The first drama of Joo Won I saw was Good Doctor when it was airing in KBS World in 2013. I loved the show so much and thought it was a brilliant performance by the lead actor .Then I saw King of Baking and thought " It's the actor from Good Doctor!" but at that time I was still new to Korean Drama...just saw Korean Drama through cable channel to pass my time. After This Drama I saw Tomorrow Cantabile. And I liked this cute show very much and started acknowledging to myself that I've become fan of this foreign actor. I was amazed at how each of his characters are different but how he played them wonderfully. I had by this time watched many famous KBS Dramas like My Daughter Seo Young, Secret Love, Healer, Innocent Man etc. While I started loving those drama and liking many Korean actors-actresses but Joo Won had the softest corner of my heart. At this time I started watching Korean Dramas through drama websites. But I was delaying myself to see Bridal mask. I knew it was one of the popular show but I was not interested in period drama. But I knew I would have to see it anyway as it has Joo Won. So I started watching BM one day and.... yeah I didn't know it was possible for me to fall for an actor more..I just did. He just became my top favorite without any doubt after starting Bridal Mask. I sometimes get confused which one is his best- Good Doctor or Bridal mask! I ended up deciding that Bridal Mask is his Best Drama and Good Doctor has his Best Performance! :heart:

After that I saw all other dramas and movies of him one by one..Recently after my graduation I found sometime and started watching all his interviews and eps of 1 Night 2 Days Season 2..and Right now watching his latest drama My Sassy Girl.. Joo Won recently expressed his longing for doing more mature and serious roles right after he comes from his military duty. So may be MSG will be his last rom-com for a while if he find projects according to his choice (I hope he will find amazing projects and make us happy). :D  So I've decided to enjoy this rom-com and all his varieties of expressions to the fullest. :wub:

I have yet to see Drama 7th Grade Civil Servant and ,movie Don't Click. I was saving these two for these coming days days when I'll miss him very much because of his absence and will enjoy a horror movie even if I dislike the genre. 

Lastly I will end my ranting by wishing Joo Won a safe return from army.. :)

Joo-Won-25.jpg

Ojakgyo-Brothers7.jpg

20111205-Joo-Won.jpg

fullsizephoto183706.jpg

bridal+mask+poster.jpg

7th-Grade-Civil-Servant4.jpg

gooddoctor4.jpg

joo-won-catch-me-profile-1-3.jpg

Tomorrow-Cantabile-Poster2.jpg

FASHIONKING_1.jpg

fullsizephoto641398.jpg

Img0404_20150812171442_8.jpg

Clocking-Out-Poster7.jpg

019.jpg?type=w1200

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Joo Won's vocal analysis:

In this particular video, Joo Won is straight up using his musical theatre voice. In the beginning, he was belting a little which caused him to sing at a higher key, but once he gained control of the song, you can see that he was alot more relaxed. 

I'm not sure why the band or Joo Won himself, chose to start the song in that note? It was clearly too low for him. If you noticed, his voice was pretty thin in the beginning. 

This song is an extremely good example of where you can see he's alot more comfortable with the higher notes. 

In this particular video, you can hear his high notes are much fuller. He's definitely using his musical theatre voice here. But also, you can hear him trying to control it, until towards the end, he just went full in with the resonance. 

Joo Won in his natural form, non belty with such resonance. This is just him full on using projecting his voice using his normal operatic techniques. As you can see, he's just MUCH more comfortable and relaxed, since he doesn't have to focus too much on controlling his voice. 

Moving on to his ballads, ballad songs are usually sung with a much lighter voice, which means he would have to belt more. Since he can't be using his operatic techniques on such a light and mellow song.

Most theatre performers tend to have a harder time belting, since their training taught them not to rely on belting. 

Version 1:

Version 2: [단독 공개] 주원-“토크&콘서트” LIVE ver.

Between the 2 versions, in version 1 he belted the high notes, but in version 2, he chose to use his musical theatre voice. Belting is less fuller and requires much more control, whereas whilst the operatic technique does require extreme control too, you are taught to project your voice with a much fuller resonance. Which is why Joo Won said he tends to have a harder time with ballads, as opposed to singing a song like 'this is the moment.'

His rigorous theatre training has taught him to project his voice with resonance, and since he's so used to doing that, singing a ballad song would mean he would have to throw away all the techniques he was taught and make sure he doesn't project his voice too much.

For those not too sure what is resonance, it's when you project your voice with vibrato. Which is what all theatre performers have been taught to do. 

Also if you have noticed, Joo Won uses alot of vibrato whereas ballad singers don't quite use as much vibrato unless the song calls for it. 

• Like 4

CONGRATULATIONS !!

@airplanegirl for being the new admin of this thread. Wishing you success.

Thank you giving us My Sassy Girl fans a shout out there , so here I am. Your postings of Joo Won's singing are very good. Would love to see you interacting more in that thread so new fans are interested and they pop in here. Joo Won is incredibly talented that he deserves appreciation and recognition. BTW we have wondered in MSG thread where are Joo Won' fan? 90% are " non " JW fans or who know him for the first time. !0 % is attributed to @flutterby3 who has so much passion for JW.

Next week is the final for MSG. I hope some of you drop in and render your support. The chat, debate, comments and spazzing is lively there. Oh @mrdimples is the " doctor " who helped deliver the birth of the takeover from coolreborn.

Thank you all. Leaving you with some of my favourite gifs. We love the drama.

" I know you came to see me with flowers "

tumblr_osiyl5xF8M1r1fzv0o1_540.gif

tumblr_osiyl5xF8M1r1fzv0o2_540.gif

tumblr_osiyl5xF8M1r1fzv0o3_540.gif

gif maker : dancerkai94

• Like 5

@airplanegirl, Thanks for the amazing writing. I usually understand technical things less, but I know what you meant. :)

All I can say is that I love his singing.. He is so sincere in everything and his singing also expresses his sincerity in a way. :heart:

And I hope, with new admin this thread will go a long way. Thank You!

tumblr_np6tubrXgJ1tjypkvo8_400.gif

@lavender2love, thanks for attributing 10% to me which I think is a lot ...

tumblr_nts1xhdR2t1r5c02zo1_500.gif

@misappear, hey! Get ready.. Party just started!

tumblr_nvp3ditBEO1tyc81qo1_400.gif

• Like 5

@airplanegirl,I only heard of BoA (I'm not that interested in K-POP) when the relationship news broke out.. and I was really happy for Joo Won. The boy is so romantic, it's about time he start to be in relationship. But other than the news from the agencies there were no other news about them..Both sides's fan were equally surprised to know that they were in relationship. Before The "Which Joo Wonie? Mine or yours?" happened I thought there will be less buzz about them with Joo Won's coming enlistment and as they were so successful in keeping their relationship secret from rumors.. And then BoA dropped the bomb.. I was so glad that the first confirmation (other than agency confirmation) came from Joo Won's Girlfriend in Tv program and it came quite naturally.. BoA talked as if it is quite natural to call your boyfriend mine in front of everyone!!

It's amazing how Joo Won was just a rookie in TV entertainment but he was connected somehow with BoA from 2010.. I'm so fond of those little little translation you do. I was also surprised at the fact that BoA tweeted about Yong Pal which indicates that she actually saw YP when it was airing.. That tells a lot. Their relationship developed and changed over a long time.  :wub:

How I wished to know more about Joo Won-BoA's story but with him gone in MS they will be less in news... I actually wished a lot for a Dispatch photo..But there seems to be none! 

But her saying Mine or yours and later him saying Our BoA made me satisfied..:D

Okay..But I've question... Did they broke the news willingly or were there any rumors about them?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

@airplanegirl,I only heard of BoA (I'm not that interested in K-POP) when the relationship news broke out.. and I was really happy for Joo Won. The boy is so romantic, it's about time he start to be in relationship. But other than the news from the agencies there were no other news about them..Both sides's fan were equally surprised to know that they were in relationship. Before The "Which Joo Wonie? Mine or yours?" happened I thought there will be less buzz about them with Joo Won's coming enlistment and as they were so successful in keeping their relationship secret from rumors.. And then BoA dropped the bomb.. I was so glad that the first confirmation (other than agency confirmation) came from Joo Won's Girlfriend in Tv program and it came quite naturally.. BoA talked as if it is quite natural to call your boyfriend mine in front of everyone!!

It's amazing how Joo Won was just a rookie in TV entertainment but he was connected somehow with BoA from 2010.. I'm so fond of those little little translation you do. I was also surprised at the fact that BoA tweeted about Yong Pal which indicates that she actually saw YP when it was airing.. That tells a lot. Their relationship developed and changed over a long time.  :wub:

How I wished to know more about Joo Won-BoA's story but with him gone in MS they will be less in news... I actually wished a lot for a Dispatch photo..But there seems to be none! 

But her saying Mine or yours and later him saying Our BoA made me satisfied..:D

Okay..But I've question... Did they broke the news willingly or were there any rumors about them?

From what I've read, the Korean fans already knew about these two since 2015. They did alot of lovestagram, in fact they continued to do so even after their relationship was revealed.

They were outed. But it is better to admit it straight away, than to hem or haw around which would cause hate from K-netizens, if later on the press releases more evidence. Joo Won admitting straight away, did cause some hate mostly due to his impending enlistment. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, airplanegirl said:

Joo Won admitting straight away, did cause some hate mostly due to his impending enlistment.

K-netz would have talked either way..Which is why celebrities want to date secretly.

Oh..I thought only few people observed that they liked each others' IG post..!So a lot of K-netz actually talked about them before confirmation. :o

• Like 2

3 hours ago, misappear said:

I heard the word "Party" ???

I'm coming with fermented skate! 

You're here too for the parrttaayyy  @misappear:heart: You may have to leave the stinky fish at the door. It's not exactly a party mood enhancer.

I see the party swing is going well. Our boy is a smoooothh one. See how he swings the princess close to him with a strong arm.

Shall we also bring our masks? Hope they serve chicken feet and soju.

tumblr_org2tq64Ll1r1fzv0o4_r2_540.gif

@airplanegirl Are you a music major ? I'm impressed by your ability to give such a detailed analysis of each performance. You understand it so well that you can point out the difference between theatre singing and ballad singing.

I like the songs Nothing Better and Like Rain because they are connected to Yong Pal. I have Yong Pal OSTS in my play list. They bring back nostalgic happy memories.

9 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

Joo Won's vocal analysis:

In this particular video, Joo Won is straight up using his musical theatre voice. In the beginning, he was belting a little which caused him to sing at a higher key, but once he gained control of the song, you can see that he was alot more relaxed

'm not sure why the band or Joo Won himself, chose to start the song in that note? It was clearly too low for him. If you noticed, his voice was pretty thin in the beginning.

This song is an extremely good example of where you can see he's alot more comfortable with the higher notes. 

In this particular video, you can hear his high notes are much fuller. He's definitely using his musical theatre voice here. But also, you can hear him trying to control it, until towards the end, he just went full in with the resonance.

Joo Won in his natural form, non belty with such resonance. This is just him full on using projecting his voice using his normal operatic techniques. As you can see, he's just MUCH more comfortable and relaxed, since he doesn't have to focus too much on controlling his voice. 

Moving on to his ballads, ballad songs are usually sung with a much lighter voice, which means he would have to belt more. Since he can't be using his operatic techniques on such a light and mellow song.

Most theatre performers tend to have a harder time belting, since their training taught them not to rely on belting. 

Version 1:

Version 2: [단독 공개] 주원-“토크&콘서트” LIVE ver.

Between the 2 versions, in version 1 he belted the high notes, but in version 2, he chose to use his musical theatre voice. Belting is less fuller and requires much more control, whereas whilst the operatic technique does require extreme control too, you are taught to project your voice with a much fuller resonance. Which is why Joo Won said he tends to have a harder time with ballads, as opposed to singing a song like 'this is the moment.'

His rigorous theatre training has taught him to project his voice with resonance, and since he's so used to doing that, singing a ballad song would mean he would have to throw away all the techniques he was taught and make sure he doesn't project his voice too much.

For those not too sure what is resonance, it's when you project your voice with vibrato. Which is what all theatre performers have been taught to do. 

Also if you have noticed, Joo Won uses alot of vibrato whereas ballad singers don't quite use as much vibrato unless the song calls for it. 

• Like 2

I made a trip back and randomly picked page 2650. It was Christmas. The thread was so warm and love-filled with Joo Won.

I wonder what's ailing this thread ? Random guessing

# JW left a void by going to MS

# everybody's all grown up

# leadership void

# his last few dramas were not palatable to some ( i.e after the height of fan love for Bridal Mask )

# his new drama MSG seems not to have that magnetic pull

Anyway over at MSG thread he is making the impact.

Just to inject some up to date news here I' posting JW in PINK ..... soooooooooooooo sweet. Of course his expressions are talent driven

19954847_109787686335414_341285861057573

19984222_327260551018561_655687918068695

Pastel shades also gives that vulnerability look.

He is the king of tears but unfortunately PD didn't let him turn on the full tap. DARN !!!!!!!

19955497_1500858476601468_10498636440802

More tears just waiting to roll. That is good acting.

19622900_1569624226404445_38630962268743

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lavender2love said:

I made a trip back and randomly picked page 2650. It was Christmas. The thread was so warm and love-filled with Joo Won.

I wonder what's ailing this thread ? Random guessing

# JW left a void by going to MS

# everybody's all grown up

# leadership void

# his last few dramas were not palatable to some ( i.e after the height of fan love for Bridal Mask )

# his new drama MSG seems not to have that magnetic pull

Anyway over at MSG thread he is making the impact.

Just to inject some up to date news here I' posting JW in PINK ..... soooooooooooooo sweet. Of course his expressions are talent driven

Pastel shades also gives that vulnerability look.

He is the king of tears but unfortunately PD didn't let him turn on the full tap. DARN !!!!!!!

More tears just waiting to roll. That is good acting.

THIS! THIS! My thought exactly!

Hello!!

I am one of the old member here.It is quite sad yet endearing to see new fans.Sad because it seems like our old members either disappeared or moved on to new platform.I am actually one of them. I will try to come here frequently!But this is not a promise.:grin:

and @airplanegirl being the new admin,Welcome! Hope you will help us maintain this old-yet-gold forum.I saw the post made by @mrdimples awhile back. Now that forum matters are done,did anyone take over the Joo Won cutie blog?  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lavender2love said:

@airplanegirl Are you a music major ? I'm impressed by your ability to give such a detailed analysis of each performance. You understand it so well that you can point out the difference between theatre singing and ballad singing.

I'm not, but I did do musical theatre for a few years, but after I switched schools, the other school didn't have a musical theatre elective. 

Thank you guys for being warm and welcoming!

• Like 4