Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

@airplanegirl Thanks for the updates - but your video's dead :( I see a message saying "Content rejected. This video has been removed due to a breach of the Terms of Use".

EDIT

And...popping by again to share a few other miscellaneous JW pics.

Looking surprisingly good while his hair's a mess. I seem to recall a scene like this in "Good Doctor", so I'm assuming that's where it's from - but if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

c9977d34b383621d26ba431e5260c14d.jpg

Mm...guyliner doesn't really work for him, in my opinion. But I recognize the style here as being the sort of image that I suppose his agency was trying to go for when he was first starting out - there are a number of these really edgy, out-there photos floating around from 2010/2011 that are pretty much the polar opposite of his real personal style (which, as some of you have pointed out, is about as casual as it gets).

e455f7336e871fdc5c3b61bbb0b2d04b.jpg

And then these two for their cuteness.

51a3bed9b3b06985b199092680f42137.jpg

f1eea1354d63642f9e270c8b4c82f72d.jpg

Sorry the photos have been so small lately - they show up larger on my Pinterest page, but not here for some reason....

• Like 2

I was backtracking through your stuff on BoA-Joo Won English on Twitter, @airplanegirl, and just noticed this GIF.

Well, if that's not one of the cutest moments I've seen in a while. :) I recognize it from the 2012 KBS Drama Awards (what can I say? JW had a VERY distinctive suit that time), and seeing Song Joong Ki giving JW an affectionate/playful choke-hold like that is just adorable.

• Like 3

My absolute favorite moment from this fest.. The way he smiled....:wub: And I know it's a old song but I heard this song first from Reply 1988 and loved it. And now that I hear it (just a part of it) from JW I want a full JW version.. This is getting a serious problem of mine!!

For the full video see this. They performed two songs.

I've to say that we got many photos and videos from JW fans. They cheered for him a lot too. 

This is a fancam video. If you see closely in the first part you'll see Kim Jaecheon Joo Won's angel manager taking his photos and in the last part see how SBS camera is following around JW mostly. 

DLtU73BVwAU-qJK.jpg

I read that JW become a hot topic to the netizen! Can we have some translation, dear @airplanegirl?

(It's frustrating that these days I've trouble using Soompi Forum from my Phone. It always crashes. :angry: I seldom have time to open my pc. So I couldn't join in the conversation during the fest. Today I'm here through Office pc. :tongue:)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, airplanegirl said:
1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Observation: Joo Won is the starter( Is there any specific term for this?I don't know!) in most of their group performance in the Fest.

Main vocalist lol?

lol - You guys are great! And thanks for all the updates, both of you :)

My own favourite observation thus far was the dynamic between JW and Im Si Wan in the SBS video; I don't know why I thought it was so cute, but I loved that little moment where ISW was literally following JW around with the miniature electric fan. :D Maybe it's because I'm a fan of both actors (haven't watched "The King Loves" yet, but loved ISW in "Misaeng" and his smaller roles prior to that).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

Main vocalist lol?

Hehehe.. Usually main vocalist gets to sing most of a song but here they almost divided equally but JW still had some key parts in most of the songs. 

7 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

For Joo Won related stuff, I've moved to Instagram since that's where most of his fans hang out at

True..JW fans are more active in IG.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

lol - You guys are great! And thanks for all the updates, both of you :)

My own favourite observation thus far was the dynamic between JW and Im Si Wan in the SBS video; I don't know why I thought it was so cute, but I loved that little moment where ISW was literally following JW around with the miniature electric fan. :D

You're most welcome. 

It was cute and I'm curious..Why was he doing that! Wanna know the bts story but I know I can't get everything in life. So I'll just be satisfied with the video.

As you like Im Siwan, this is for you. :)

DL1FyOfWkAAXQNQ?format=jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

It was cute and I'm curious..Why was he doing that! Wanna know the bts story but I know I can't get everything in life. So I'll just be satisfied with the video.

I'm not entirely sure, since the video wasn't subbed, and I can only understand some Korean words here and there, but the reporters were joking that Im Si Wan was acting like his character from "Misaeng". I think I also caught the word "maknae" [i.e. "the youngest" or "the most junior"] in there, but I'm not sure if that was referring to ISW or someone else.

And thanks for the pic! I just love bromance all around - hence why I was commenting on the Song Joong Ki and JW GIF the other day, and commenting on ISW and JW today :)

• Like 1

Thank You @airplanegirl , @kittyna and @flutterby06 for sharing photos and videos from the Army Festival! Happy to see wuri JW still as handsome and healthy after spending months in the army. Allkpop and other entertainment sites can rave about other celebrities in the Festival but it's really obvious who stood out during stage performance isn't it? 

I just want to share that I have finally sat down to watch JW's Fashion King Movie, and I'm so glad I did! I don't know where I got the thought that fans wished he wasn’t casted in this movie. I am happily surprised that it is definitely way better than I earlier thought it was. It is wacky but it does have deeper meaning behind the plot. It is loosely comedic but definitely not over-acted by the actors. Kim Sung Oh is gold and I’m sure JW had an enjoyable time acting and learning from him, alongside his close friends from the same agency.

Once again, JW had chosen a project that is different yet challenging. He never pay much attention to fashion and always wear simple clothes. So I’m sure he must have cringed hard when he saw the script and learned of the exaggerated (or can I say atrocious?) fashion and hairstyle he had to “embrace” to portray the character well. But eventually, he did a good job as the Woo Ki-myung who pushed himself forward to be the King of Fashion despite being a target of school bullies. During the process, he realized that fashion isn’t about branding but how you present yourself. I really love that this is parallel to his career. Rather than being labelled as a Hallyu star, he strives to be a humane actor and wants to enjoy the process of acting and learning more than the fame he derives from it.

This movie feels like an underdog and refreshing to me, as I have mostly watched more serious and dark Korean movies. So pali pali watch Fashion King if you want something light-hearted!

• Like 4

@sagaseed Thanks for the "Fashion King" review! It sounds like a lot of fun, and reminds me that I want to get around to it at some point. Right now, I'm watching the drama special "Waiting for Love" that @airplanegirl shared the other day, starring, among others, Im Si Wan and BoA. But after that...who knows? I do have a longer drama in progress ("Saimdang"), but I might want a change of pace for a night or two, and a movie would work well for that.

You also deserve the honour of being the inspiration for my Throwback Thursday today. This week, since the main topic of discussion has been the Ground Forces Festival, there's not a whole ton I can do about a throwback unless I just look back a couple of months :tongue: But your post reminded me that I've seen some of JW's earlier magazine photo shoots that also feature some...really bizarre outfits.

I personally tend to see the earlier years of JW's TV/film career to be his experimental phase. Whether it was he himself or his agency doing the experimenting, I'm not sure - although I'm more inclined to think the latter. :wink: And that led to a number of public appearances and photo shoots where...I think I know what they were trying to go for, but where I personally feel the looks are a bit crazier and out there and not necessarily reflective of JW's personality.

By the way, I should point out that Dramafever did a post like this some years ago, and a number of the images I've picked come from there as well. If you want to see the whole thing, here it is: Happy Birthday, Joo Won: 8 Sexy, model-licious photos of Joo Won

Another thing I've noticed is that if there's any one magazine that does this a lot, it's Vogue. No real surprise there, I suppose, but it leads to pictures like these here - which I think are all from 2010 or 2011, but you're welcome to correct me if they're not.

7f66d493a5d178eddb297c3af080508d.jpg

Joo_Won5.jpg

Joo_Won8.jpg

And this next one is also from Vogue, but from 2014. It's still edgy and haute-couture-esque, but seems to have been influenced somewhat by the image that JW had developed by that point.

f9963705b0b872b7df19b601aea99ae5.jpg

Finally, here's one from a promotional event (or press conference - I'm not 100% sure here either) for Ojakgyo Brothers, so it'd be from 2011.

e85c180645ef34484a01c517256257aa.jpg

And here's a frontal view of the same outfit

f17dca09ea699ae5d8e9f2c0783fc54a.jpg

I think it's interesting to see how these both contrast with what appears to be JW's own actual style from this period - which, as we all know, was super-casual (jeans, T-shirts, sports clothes, running shoes, graphic baseball caps, etc.) - but also how his "public" style in photo shoots and promotional events in more recent years.

11 hours ago, sagaseed said:

Once again, JW had chosen a project that is different yet challenging. He never pay much attention to fashion and always wear simple clothes. So I’m sure he must have cringed hard when he saw the script and learned of the exaggerated (or can I say atrocious?) fashion and hairstyle he had to “embrace” to portray the character well. But eventually, he did a good job as the Woo Ki-myung who pushed himself forward to be the King of Fashion despite being a target of school bullies. During the process, he realized that fashion isn’t about branding but how you present yourself. I really love that this is parallel to his career. Rather than being labelled as a Hallyu star, he strives to be a humane actor and wants to enjoy the process of acting and learning more than the fame he derives from it.

That's a really interesting observation. I know that a lot of people are really opinionated about what JW is good at in terms of genre and roles, but I agree with you that if there's one common thread I can point to, it's that he likes to challenge himself and change things up. I know that we discussed some time ago which projects were ones he himself picked, and which ones his agency picked, but I always imagined that, even in the cases where his agency picked, he had to be genuinely on board with that role before he would sign to it. So, instead of, say, an agency that orders top-down what he needs to do, I imagine that in those meetings where he and agency reps are going through those big piles of scripts that he'd have his favourites, they'd have theirs, and that he'd only take on one of their picks if it also happens to be one of his. When it isn't, he'll fight for what he wants (e.g. "Gaksital" or "Good Doctor").

I'm also loving the idea of JW as the underdog who ends up becoming noticed due to his talent :)

• Like 2

Just started watching "Fashion King" at @sagaseed's recommendation, and...wow. I cracked up so many times in the first 15 minutes. Not because anything all that crazy has happened (yet), but because JW's performance as Woo Ki Myung is so...HIM. Yes, it's exaggerated, but that's his aegyo pretty much constantly throughout, and it's so sweet :)

Anyway, it might take me a few days to get through the whole thing, since I might only have time to watch it bit by bit. But just thought I'd share my thoughts.

• Like 1

What with JW's birthday and then the Festival happening in such rapid succession, I'd forgotten how quiet things can get around here - and now Feb. 2019 feels like such a long way away.... :(

So, in the meantime, here are some more miscellaneous JW pics:

This one looks to be from the Chinese film he did, "Sweet Sixteen". I haven't seen it yet, and heard that it's a mess (and even if it isn't, his character's a mess!), so I might not. But I have to say that he looks quite snazzy here.

d22f0267d996b37efd4aff423213e7d4.jpg

And it's suddenly gotten a lot colder where I am (welcome to Canada!). So while it's not quite cold enough for snow, I like the mood in this picture.

d3d6fd5dbd7c4791a03ed81044791f64.jpg

And, finally, here's one of my favourite JW GIFs of all time: JW and Ji Chang Wook at the 2014 KBS Drama Awards

cff77668cd8e7778d143d4d8f1a526f9.gif

Perfectly in sync, oppas B)

• Like 3

When you sort-of-kind-of stumble across a picture of JW on a site that has nothing to do with Hallyu, and it just makes your entire day.

Case in point, I just stumbled across this earlier today, and it made me rather giddier than I'd like to admit. :blush:

Quote from Buzzfeed's 29 Things That Are Too [...] Real For People Raised By Asian Parents

(Yes, I modified the title, because, well, I'm not sure if the original would have counted as profanity under Soompi rules :wink:)

16. "Be more like other people" was basically your life motto.

sub-buzz-21642-1507580961-1.png?downsize

Okay, to be fair, it's just the back of his head. :tongue: But still - I thought it was funny to stumble across this moment, which is from "Level 7 Civil Servant", by the way. Also, since it's been a long time since I watched it and I did so in Cantonese dub...I totally forgot this line was there and cracked up all over again. I imagine that JW himself would have, too, after the director called "Cut!". :wink:

And time for some more miscellaneous JW pics - this time, of the snuggly and cuddly variety. :)

0e650a31a619df865ab6723b69de5a93.jpg

6538c6de274ce4a580d130969647aa07.jpg

Right now, it's fall and perfect hoodie/sweater weather :wink:

002bd4eb8154a929b664c2b84532c9ca.jpg

• Like 2