[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

July 15, 2010

Daughter of late Choi Jin-sil leaves touching miniblog message

20100714001037_0.jpg

A daughter of Choi Jin-sil, the late actress who committed suicide after suffering from depression in 2008, recently left a heart-rending comment on her mom’s miniblog.

On July 5, Choi Jun-hee left a message saying, “I love you mom. Watch me.”

She also created a photo album entitled “Mom” in remembrance of Choi, who was considered one of the best actresses in Korea.

201007150745011001_1.jpg

The comment by Choi’s daughter moved the hearts of many Korean internet users, who in return offered words of encouragement and well-wishes to Jun-hee.

Choi Jin-sil’s younger brother Choi Jin-young, who was an actor and singer, also took his own life in March.

Jun-hee, 8, has been cared for by her grandmother since her mother’s death.

Source: koreaherald.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 15, 2010

Ryu Si-won kicks off producer career with Rottyful Sky

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010071510390138953_1.jpg

Korean singer, actor and producer Ryu Si-won [R's Company]

Korean singer and actor Ryu Si-won has kicked off his career as record producer with new female artist Rottyful Sky, according to PR firm YTREE MEDIA on Thursday.

YTREE said in a press release on Thursday that Ryu will be introducing singer Rottyful Sky, whom he described as "a hidden gem" who has clear goals and faith as well as innate talent in singing, dancing and songwriting.

"This year being the sixteenth anniversary of my debut, I wanted to repay the love I received from fans by training younger artists who have talent and passion," the Hallyu star was quoted as saying. "I will do everything to support talented young artists so they can earn recognition overseas, not to mention Korea."

The newcomer has been selected to star as a female warrior in Sony Korea's 3D music video, as part of Sony-sponsored project to be helmed by female director Lee Sa-gan.

The music video will be unveiled July 21 at offline Sony Style stores around the country as well as on video-sharing site Daum TV Pot (http://tvpot.daum.net).

Rottyful Sky, whose real name is Kim Hanul, made her debut in Korea in 2001, releasing her first album "Voice Of Purity" at the age of thirteen.

Last year, she appeared as a musical guest at Ryu Si-won's birthday party/fan meeting where she announced her comeback. She was also featured on the soundtrack for SBS TV series "Style," which starred Ryu and top Korean actress Kim Hye-soo.

The singer will be making her comeback with the single "No Way."

2010071510390138953_2.jpg

Korean singer Rottyful Sky [R's Company]

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 15, 2010

Kim Hyun-joong to attend "Boys Over Flowers" reunion

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja Editor: Lucia Hong

2010071508440376979_1.jpg

Korean actor and singer Kim Hyun-joong [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong will be attending the "Boys Over Flowers" reunion in Japan next month, according to his agency KEYEAST.

KEYEAST announced in a press release that Kim and the rest of the cast members including Kim Bum, Kim Jun and Ku Hye-sun will be in Osaka (August 18) and Tokyo (August 21) for a reunion event for the drama. Actor Lee Min-ho will not be attending due to personal matters.

"Boys Over Flowers," originally a popular Japanese comic series, became a hit series when it hit airwaves in Korea last January. "Boys" also drew in a large audience in neighboring Asian countries such as Japan, China, Taiwan and Southeast Asia.

Kim, 23, is the leader of the boy band SS501, one of the most successful K-pop acts in Asia since their debut in 2005 with the single "Warning." The singer made his acting debut in the smash hit drama "Boys Over Flowers" and appeared in various entertainment programs as well.

He signed with Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon's agency KEYEAST in late June after the group's contract with DSP Media expired on June 8. He was recently chosen to play the male lead for the upcoming series based on the popular Japanese comic "Itazurana Kiss."

The romantic comedy is scheduled to air on MBC after war drama "Road No. 1" ends its run.

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015 @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 15, 2010

2NE1 and Lee Min-ho to attend makeup brand concert

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071513424306220_1.jpg

Official poster of Etude's "Pink Play Concert" [Etude House]

Korean female idols 2NE1 and actor Lee Min-ho will be attending a concert for a make-up brand next month, according to concert host Etude House on Thursday.

Etude House announced in a press release that 2NE1, spokesmodels for Etude, and Lee will be attending the "Pink Play Concert" to be held at the Walker Hill Hotel Riverpark on August 20.

The concert will also feature various events including a make-up contest, photo session and music performance by 2NE1.

A marketing official from Etude said, "We wanted to express appreciation to our customers who have used our products in the past."

Customers who purchase over 5,000 won worth of Etude's products will be eligible to sign up for the event until July 31. A total of 1,000 winners will be invited to the concert.

2NE1 entered the music scene with the song "Lollipop," a joint collaboration with Big Bang which was featured in a commercial for LG's mobile phone brand CYON in March 2009.

They released their first single "Fire" in May 2009 and have since released several hits including "I Don't Care" and recently "Try To Follow Me."

Lee rose to stardom in Korea and throughout Asia last year with the success of KBS drama "Boys Over Flowers," co-starring actress Ku Hye-sun and singer Kim Hyun-joong of SS501.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 15, 2010

Kim Nam-gil bids farewell to fans upon entering military

Reporter : Park Jong-kyu Editor : Lynn Kim

2010071514381144164_3.jpg

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil makes a salute before entering the military

on July 15, 2010. [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Kim Nam-gil bid farewell to fans as he entered the Korean military today as part of fulfilling the country's mandatory army duties.

The actor, who arrived at Nonsan training camp in South Chungcheong Province around 1 p.m. Thursday afternoon, was greeted at the site by some 300 local and overseas fans from China, Japan and Taiwan.

"My heart is fluttering now that I am here at the training camp," the actor told reporters before entering the military camp. "I can't feel it yet but I think it will hit me once I go in [to the military camp]... I think I will be able to rest freely."

When asked how he feels about his sudden departure, Kim replied, "I am disappointed that I was late in preparing for it because I found out the entrance date late... My preparation was too hasty."

Kim received a draft notice to enter the military by July 15 at the end of last month, while in the midst of shooting TV series "Bad Boy." With the show's production company Good Story and broadcaster SBS trying to delay the entrance date in order to wrap up the filming, it was not until last week that Kim announced to fans he would be entering the army.

"I was with the 'Bad Boy' team until the end of the shoot," the actor explained. "We reduced the number of scenes that were necessary for the story and just shot them."

The 29-year-old actor also mentioned that he doesn't feel awkward about his short haircut, adding that his parents thought it made him look young. "I am older than young people [who enter the military] so I might be at a disadvantage in terms of physical strength," Kim went onto say. "But it won't be hard during training because I am really into playing sports."

Kim will receive four weeks of basic training at Nonsan and then work as a public service worker for the next two years. After apologizing to fans about his sudden military leave, the actor asked them, "You will wait for me, right?"

The fans responded with loud cheers and by making sign language motions translating into "You are the most beautiful. We love you."

Kim, 29, made his debut in 2003 and has appeared in notable dramas such as "Be Strong Geum Soon" (MBC, 2005), "Goodbye Solo" (KBS2, 2006) and "Lovers" (SBS, 2006).

He became a household name last year playing the role of Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok" alongside top Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung.

"Boy," which completed shooting on July 13, will air until early next month.

Reporter : Park Jong-kyu glory@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010071516254683737_2.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil waves to fans ahead of entering Nonsan military training camp in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on July 15, 2010 to fulfill his two-year mandatory military service.

2010071516242372496_1.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil is interviewed by reporters ahead of entering Nonsan military training camp in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on July 15, 2010 to fulfill his two-year mandatory military service.

2010071516190741236_2.jpg

Reporters and fans gather at Nonsan military training camp in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on July 15, 2010 to bid farewell to actor Kim Nam-gil entering the army to fulfill his two-year mandatory military service.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

July 15, 2010

Hyun Bin may enter military in early November

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun Editor: Lucia Hong

2010071514410267227_1.jpg

Korean actor Hyun Bin [Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Hyun Bin may enter the Korean military in early November, according to a sports newspaper on Thursday.

Local sports daily IS Plus reported that the actor will be entering Nonsan military camp in South Chungcheong Province on November 1 to start receiving five weeks of basic training as part of fulfilling his two-year mandatory military duties.

However, Hyun Bin's agency AM Entertainment downplayed the report, explaining "Nothing has been set as of yet. He hasn't gotten a draft notice yet, so it's difficult to say whether he will be entering the military on November 1."

The official added that the actor is looking into a follow-up role and that he hopes he will get to appear in one more production before he enters the military.

Born Kim Tae-pyung, Hyun Bin made his debut in 2003 in KBS drama "Bodyguard" and rose to fame for his role in the hit series "My Name is Kim Sam-soon" alongside actress Kim Suna.

He also starred in other dramas including "Friend, Our Legend" and "World's Within" with current girlfriend Korean actress Song Hye-kyo.

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun tarophine @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 15, 2010

IRIS Eligible For Awards In Japan

e_100715_01.jpg

The drama 'IRIS' is doing just as well over in Japan as it did in Korea. In fact, so well that according to Nikkan Sports on July 15th, many of the actors from the drama are officially contenders for awards at the 2010 14th Annual Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix.

15,814 votes came pouring in from June 29th to July 8th and after careful count,'IRIS' came in third place in terms of the number of the votes for the 'General Production Award' with 1,320. Main actor Lee Byung-hun also got 2,112 votes -- against third highest -- for 'Main Actor'. Female co-star and his character's love interest, Kim Tae-hee also scored 2,395 votes bringing her in third place as well for 'Main Actress.' Kim So-yeon, who played a North Korean spy, earned 1,804 votes for the Supporting Actress category which was enough to put her in fourth place.

Projects that make it into the top five of the given categories will be the finalists for the final annual vote held in March of next year.

Source: KBS Global

July 15, 2010

Canine movie star breaks more hearts in sequel

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

canine_movie.jpg

A scene from "Maumi (Hearty Paws) 2." The canine film sequel is in theaters

July 21. /Courtesy of Fine Works

Imagine all the spunky tail-wagging, perky woofs and irresistible puppy eyes of "101 Dalmatians" _ but live. Korea’s canine heroine Dal-i, better known by her screen persona Maumi, has returned after four years with three puppies, offering quadruple the "aww" factor in "Maumi (Hearty Paws) 2."

It’s even alright if the film is, like many mainstream family movies, cookie cutter formulaic; sure, it’s programmed to hammer out specific emotions in the viewer to the point of being manipulative, but Maumi will keep you on the edge of your seat. Unlike its Hollywood or other international counterparts, no computer graphics were employed to render the million-dollar facial expressions of the furry protagonist; with such an Oscar-worthy dog, Disney animations no longer hold the monopoly on friendly animal characters.

The first installment was a groundbreaker in Korean cinema’s virtually non-existent animal movie genre, and attracted a sizeable audience with Maumi becoming a recognizable household name. It was thus the only film in the variety with hope for a follow-up story _ "Paws 2," much like its "Tom and Jerry"-esque triumph-of-the-underdog (mind the pun) storyline, symbolizes promise for minor genres in the local entertainment scene.

It is important to note that four years, particularly in dog years, is not a short amount of time. Dal-i had proven her acting skills in her big screen debut, where the drama was centered on her friendship with a boy. The passage of time has made our heroine a mother, both on and off screen (which explains her most natural portrayal of maternal instincts and her "voluptuous" physique) as well as an actress with a greater burden on her shoulders: She dominates much of the film’s running time, being challenged to appear more than cute and domestic like typical pet movies _ appearing solo to express moments of despair and pensive reflection, provide nimble, exhilarating action sequences and even refrain from devouring sumptuous sausages.

The baby-faced Song Joong-ki has replaced Yoo Seung-ho in the role of Maumi’s beloved owner. But the humans are rather forgettable in the film, which is perhaps most appropriate for a movie in which the dog receives the highest paycheck among the cast members.

Dong-wuk is now a high school senior, but his reputation as a talented fighter always gets him into trouble, resulting in three transfers to different schools. Yet Maumi has stayed by his side as his loyal best friend. Dong-wuk’s mother, however, becomes concerned when he starts cutting classes to spend time with Maumi. The dog and her three pups are thus placed under the temporary foster care of Dong-wuk’s uncle at his video store.

One day Maumi’s three pups are spotted by a couple of jewelry thieves, Hyeok-pil (Seong Dong-il puts a more PG spin on his noted comic villain in the TV series "Slave Hunters") and Du-pil (Kim Jeong-tae plays his first non-R rated film role). The duo are fugitives on the run after the heist and are scheming of ways to export the loot they stole. They think of the most heinous plan since perhaps Cruella de Vil, to kill a cute Labrador retriever pup and make him into a stuffed piece of taxidermy as a foolproof jewelry carrier.

Hyeok-pil and Du-pil manage to kidnap Jang-gun, the youngest of the three puppies. But Maumi is not about to let her child get away, and stages a face-off with the bandits by swallowing the diamonds and making a run for it.

While Maumi’s knack for breaking hearts remains the same, the sequel has gotten more humorous. It features "Home Alone"-style dynamics between Maumi and the "Dumb and Dumber" bandits and will keep both kids and adults laughing out loud this summer, not only in Korea but for slated releases in China in August and Japan in the near future.

Hearty Paws 2 is in theaters from July 21. Distributed by Fine Works.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 15, 2010

Micky says gets along with TVXQ members "like water"

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan Editor : Lynn Kim

2010071516250478701_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Micky Yuchun at a press conference for TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean singer and actor Micky Yuchun has said that he gets along with TVXQ bandmates "like water" despite the recent turmoil surrounding the band.

The pop idol made the remark at a press conference for upcoming TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal," where he takes on his first major TV role, held Thursday on the set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. "We don't keep in touch as often as one might think," said Micky in his first public appearance since TVXQ's announcement that it would cease to carry out its activities as a five-man band. "But we still get along like water, just as we used to. I don't think [our relationship] changed because of what happened."

Last July, three TVXQ members -- Hero Jaejung, Micky Yuchun and Xiah Junsu -- had raised legal issues against major talenthouse SM Entertainment, asking the court to nullify their 13-year contract with the agency.

The legal dispute led to friction also within TVXQ, considered one of the most successful K-pop acts throughout Asia, and the boys eventually announced that they will no longer be working as a group in Korea nor Japan.

Micky explained that around the time the group started breaking up, all the members were busy pursuing their individual activities; U-Know Yunho was shooting his first TV series "No Limit" (MBC, 2009); Max Changmin was filming in Jeju Island; and Hero Jaejung was working in Japan. "I am excited because I am working for the first time in a while and I want to show fans a new, different side to myself," said the singer. "For the time being, I think I will be absorbed working on 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal' and afterwards I want to take on a challenge music-wise."

In the historical drama "Scandal," he has been cast as a Confucian scholar named Lee Seon-joon who falls in love with a woman in disguise as a man. He will be playing one of the four main characters on the show, alongside actors Yu A-in, Song Joong-ki and actress Park Min-young. "I have been living a normal life since the incident last year -- I studied music and practiced acting a lot," the singer went onto say. "I went to see movies like other people do. I hadn't been able to spend much time with my parents because I was busy working and I spent a lot of time with them."

Micky, Hero and Xiah have since formed a separate group under Japanese management agency Avex through which they will continue their singing careers in Japan. The trio, who recently performed a series of concerts in Japan as a new unit, will be holding a fan meeting in Seoul on September 4.

"Scandal" will premiere on the small screen in September.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010071516524343950_1.jpg

Micky Yoochun, Park Min-young [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, singer and actor Micky Yoochun and actress Park Min-young pose during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

2010071516513427788_1.jpg

Singer and actor Micky Yoochun poses during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

2010071516461487423_1.jpg

Singer and actor Micky Yoochun attends a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

July 15, 2010

Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival kicks off today

Jessica Kim

2010061518160036902_2.jpg

Official poster for the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival [PiFan]

The Puchon International Fantastic Fim Festival (PiFan), one of Asia's main genre film festivals, will start today, offering 193 shorts and features from 42 countries around the world during its 11-day run.

Held under the theme of "Love, Fantasy and Adventure," the fest will kick off with an opening ceremony whose red carpet will be graced by some of the biggest names in filmmaking such Korean directors Lim Kwon-taek, Yoon Jae-kyun, Kim Dae-seung and Min Kyu-dong.

Scores of actors, new to veteran, are also set to show up at the evening's festivity, including Kong Hyung-jin and Choi Jung-won who will emcee the opening ceremony, Hwang Jung-eum, this year's PiFan Lady, and actress Ye Ji-won who will serve as a member of the jury in the competition for features.

South Korea's top movie stars, namely Ryu Seung-beom, Ko Soo, Jo Yeo-jung, Lee Duk-hwa, Kang Soo-yeon, Hwang Jung-min and Oh Ji-ho, are also slated to walk the red carpet.

After the hour-long introductory event, the opening ceremony will officially commence, headlined by "The Experiment" by director Paul Scheuring, best known as the executive producer and head writer of television series "Prison Break."

Starring Adrien Brody and Forrest Whitaker, "The Experiment" is a remake of a German production from 2001 which explores into human nature by testing 26 individuals selected as test subjects for a psychology experiment while enclosed in a temporary prison.

A total of 12 films will compete in the feature category and another dozen in shorts. They will be judged by an international panel composed of film experts with a variety of experiences including Max Tessier, a film critic who writes for well-known magazines such as Jeune Cinema and Le Monde and Patrick Frater, formerly with the Variety and the Screen International while currently the founder of Film Business Asia.

The festival will also feature a wide range of programs such as Strange Homage which pays tribute to various genre masters and retrospectives on British director Terry Gilliam and Korean action film director Lee Doo-yong.

The Network of Asian Fantastic Films (NAFF), an emerging industry-oriented program for Asian fantasy films, will run for five days from July 18. Fifteen projects which have been chosen to compete at the "It Project," NAFF's project market for genre films, where the winner will be provided investment and co-production opportunities.

The PiFan, into its fourteenth year, will wrap on on July 25 with Korean film "Death Bell 2: Bloody Camp" by director You Sun-dong.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia / nate.com

2010071571877_2010071552821.jpg

20100715_1279191825_1.jpg

2010071571807_2010071552861.jpg

15_73272.jpg

July 16, 2010

Where Do Stars Who Advertise Apartments Live?

Developers have been hiring celebrities to advertise their apartment brands to borrow a little of the stars' glamour for their properties. That leads inevitably to the question: where do these stars themselves live? As it turns out, none of them live in the apartments they advertise.

Actress Lee Young-ae, who is the model for GS Engineering and Construction's Xii brand of apartments, lives in a luxury villa in Hannam-dong, Seoul after she got married and moved out of her parent's home in eastern Seoul. The villa called Hill Top Treasure measures 267 sq. m and costs between W2.4 billion and W2.7 billion (US$1=W1,202). Actor Kim Myung-min, who advertises LIG Construction's Liga line of apartments, is Lee's neighbor.

2010071500939_0.jpg

From left, Lee Young-ae, Kim Tae-hee, Son Ye-jin, and Jang Dong-gun

Actor Jang Dong-gun has been modeling for POSCO Construction's apartment brand for eight years now. Before he got married, Jang lived in a luxury villa in Jamwon-dong, but when he married actress Ko So-young, they moved to another luxury villa in Heukseok-dong. Actress Kim Tae-hee, who advertises Daewoo Construction's Prugio apartments, lives in a villa in Oksu-dong with her parents. Actress Son Ye-jin, who models for SK View apartments, has a luxury villa in Samseong-dong that costs at least W3 billion. Fellow actress Song Hye-kyo lives in the same complex.

"Celebrities usually don't live in the apartments they advertise, since they're too expensive for construction companies to give away as part of their endorsement and the stars don't want to go through the hassle of moving," said a staffer with one construction company. One estate agent specializing in luxury villas, said, "Celebrities want privacy, and unlike apartments, villas offer lots of it."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

July 16, 2010

Lee Byung-hun to advertise hair products in Japan

Reporter: Lynn Kim Editor: Jessica Kim

KV1_100513_Unilever_0190.jpg

Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun will be taking on a new role in Japan as a spokesmodel for a global hair care brand, according to his agency BH Entertainment.

BH announced in a press release on Thursday that the actor has signed with Dove Hair Care, a beauty brand owned by Unilever Japan, to advertise their hair products.

"Lee has a powerful charm that captivates other people," an official at Dove was quoted as saying. "The everyday life [of consumers] will be able to shine brighter by feeling the overpowering presence, strength and beauty of Lee Byung-hun who made a successful entry into Hollywood and has become a global star."

The Korean actor had previously shot commercials in Japan for various products including jewelry, mobile phone and automobile brand.

Lee, who turned 40 on Monday, has long been considered one of the most popular actors in Korea with dozens of television dramas and films under his belt. In last year's blockbuster TV series "IRIS", currently airing in Japan every Wednesday on TBS, he led a star-studded cast that included Kim Tae-hee, Jung Joon-ho, Kim Seung-woo, Kim So-yeon and TOP of idol group Big Bang.

The actor enjoyed a particularly successful year in 2009, making his Hollywood debut in action flick "GI Joe" and co-starring with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura in the film "I Come With The Rain."

He will be returning to the big screen with "I Saw The Devil," directed by noted filmmaker Kim Ji-woon and co-starring top Korean actor Choi Min-sik.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 16, 2010

Han Hyo-joo named festival lady for music fest GMF2010

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun Editor: Jessica Kim

20091221151419017060468_00000014_1_PA.jpg

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo [photographed by Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo has been selected as the festival lady for this year's Grand Mint Festival (GMF2010), to be held in Seoul in October.

Mint Paper, who hosts the event, announced Thursday that they have chosen the 23-year-old actress to be the face of GMF2010, saying her "bright, wholesome image as well as her passion for music clicks with Grand Mint Festival."

The actress, who currently stars in MBC's historical drama "Dong Yi," is known to play the acoustic guitar as a hobby and enjoys listening to various genres of music.

As the festival lady, she will be taking part in the shoots for the official poster and trailer video for the GMF2010. The actress will also be involved in the festival's theme song, which will be a mixed duet.

Previous faces of the festival included actress Lee Hana, for GMF2008, and actor Kim Jae-wook last year.

Han, 23, made her debut through popular sitcom "Nonstop 5" (MBC, 2005) and has since appeared in several dramas and films. She became a household name after starring in the hit TV series "Shining Inheritance" (SBS, 2009), which scored

GMF2010 will be held October 23 and 24 at Seoul's Olympic Park.

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun tarophine @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 16, 2010

Puchon Fantasy Film Fest Opens

The 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival kicked off on Thursday in the city also spelled Bucheon in Gyeonggi Province, with an opening ceremony hosted by actors Kong Hyung-jin and Choi Jung-won.

During its 11-day run, it will feature 193 films in the horror, thriller, mystery and fantasy genres from 42 countries, including opening film "The Experiment" by Paul Scheuring.

2010071600887_0.jpg

Actors Kong Hyung-jin (right) and Choi Jung-won wave at the opening of the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival on Thursday.

2010071600887_1.jpg

Jo Yeo-jeong

2010071600887_2.jpg

Hwang Jung-eum

2010071600887_3.jpg

Shin Hyun-jun (left) and Ahn Sung-ki

2010071600887_4.jpg

Oh Ji-ho

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

July 16, 2010

Kim Hyun-joong confirmed to star in new TV series

Reporter: Lynn Kim Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071611275448858_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong [KEYEAST]

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong has been confirmed as the male lead in upcoming TV series based on popular Japanese comic "Itazura na Kiss," according to agency KEYEAST on Friday.

KEYEAST announced in a press release that Kim has been cast for the role of Baek Sung-jo, the all-around Mr. Perfect-type character who ends up falling in love with a girl always getting into trouble, to be played by actress Jung So-min.

Director Hwang In-roi, who will direct Kim in the new series, explained that it was a combination of Kim's looks which "seem like they just popped out of a comic book," and his "pure, flexible" personality that made him perfect to play the character.

"And his strong will to win, which is one of the necessary virtues that an actor must have to lead a mini-series, was also a big factor," the director went onto say. "I think you may well look forward to Kim's natural appearance and relaxed acting in the drama."

The original comic series "Itazura na Kiss," which sold over 27 million copies in Japan, has been made into animation in Japan and a top-rated television drama in Taiwan.

Hwang previously directed "Goong" (MBC, 2006) and "The Return of Iljimae" (MBC, 2009), and adapted for the small screen by noted television writer Go Eun-nim.

Production company Group 8, creators behind last year's smash hit series "Boys Over Flowers," will produce the new show.

The romantic comedy, which starts shooting this month, will premiere on MBC on September 1.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 16, 2010

Yu Jae-seok, Kang Ho-dong may quit agency

1000716_pm_yu.jpg

Financial trouble involving Korea's top TV celebrity agency has left some of its highest-paid entertainers with outstanding wages, a local daily reported Friday.

De Chocolate E & TF owes its clients Kang Ho-dong, 40, Yu Jae-seok, 38, Ko Hyeon-jeong, 39, and other stars over two months of back pay, as the company's assets have been provisionally seized due to its mounting debt .

The agency has been under severe financial strain, in part due to the ongoing investigation of its executives on charges of embezzlement.

This has led some observers to speculate that Yu, Kang and other clients may move to different agencies.

"The fact that they are owed so much money might be sufficient justification to terminate their existing contracts" said a source involved in the entertainment industry.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

No money for Kang Ho-dong, Yu Jae-suk

Kang Ho-dong and Yu Jae-suk, the two most famous show hosts in Korea, have received no payment from their management agency for the last two months due to the provisional foreclosure of its all assets, according to news reports.

DeChocolate E&TF reportedly admitted its failure to pay the agency-affiliated celebrities, including the two stars and actress Ko Hyun-jung. “It is true that we have stopped short of paying them for two months. We will try to resolve the matter as soon as possible,” an agency official was quoted as saying.

20100716001000_0.jpg

Seobu District Prosecutors’ Office in Seoul has recently launched a probe into former executives of the KOSDAQ-listed company on embezzlement charges.

Investigators searched the company on June 21 and confiscated company documents and materials.

Attention is also being paid to whether Kang Ho-dong and Yu Jae-suk will remain in the company despite the problems.

Rumors say that the two may leave the company as it is suffering financial difficulties and has decided no longer to make popular MBC programs “Radio Star” and “Muruppak Dosa.”

By Christy Jin Intern reporter koreaherald.com

July 16, 2010

Stars light up opening day of Puchon film fest

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Jessica Kim

2010071611541478071_1.jpg

Actor Kong Hyung-jin and actress Choi Jung-won host the opening ceremony of the 14th Puchon

International Fantastic Film Festival held in the city of Bucheon in Gyeonggi Province,

South Korea on July 15, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

"Only humans can enjoy festivals and films are at the center of those festivals." The opening ceremony for the 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival (PiFan) took place at Bucheon Citizen's Hall on Thursday evening. But the atmosphere, which had been dampened by the approach of the rainy season, lightened up as an array of stars, from near and far, took to the red carpet of the 11-day event.

Hwang Jung-eum, who has been selected this year's PiFan Lady after her predecessors including Kang Su-yeon, Chu Sang-mi, Bae Doona and Ha Ji-won, received a warm welcome from the audience, as was Yoshiyuki Tomino, the father of anime metaseries Gundam. Fans cheered for director Ryu Seung-wan and actor Ryu Seung-beom, the brothers who arrived all smiles and and Kang Su-yeon, Ahn Sung-ki, Shin Hyun-joon and Oh Ji-ho stepped onto the red carpet side by side like comrades stepping onto a battlefield. The highest decibels of screams burst out upon the appearance of heartthrob Ko Soo, recipient of the fest's Fantasia Award.

2010071570947_2010071551951.jpg

2010071571707_2010071552891.jpg

2010071571817_2010071552851.jpg

At the opening ceremony hosted by actors Kong Hyung-jin and Choi Jung-won, newly established prizes -- namely the Actors Award and Fantasia Award -- were handed out. The Actors Award, where actors registered with the Korean Actors' Association choose the actor who best befits the PiFan, was handed to Ryu Seung-beom. In a strong and loud voice he remarked, "I will always work hard in a cute and fantastic way, as if I am the youngest in the film industry." The Fantasia Award, a title for the actors whose acting careers stood out the most for the citizens of Bucheon, went around to Ko Soo who said he had "always come to Bucheon with a hat pressed on" and Jo Yeo-jeong who "received an award for the first time after debuting." The ceremonial event, signaling the start to a fantastic night, ended with a speech by director Paul Scheuring, helmer of opening film "The Experiment." The festival has just started. A total of 193 movies from 42 countries around the world are waiting to curdle your blood and chill the hot summer air. The PiFan runs from July 15 to 25.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010071614010295667_1.jpg

Ko Soo [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Korean actor Ko Soo walks the red carpet of the opening ceremony for the 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival held in the city of Bucheon in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

2010071614010295667_2.jpg

Korean actor Ko Soo gives an acceptance speech after receiving the Fantasia Award at the opening ceremony for the 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival held in the city of Bucheon in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

2010071613575976425_1.jpg

Lim Kwon-taek and Chae Ryoung [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Korean director Lim Kwon-taek and his wife Chae Ryoung walk the red carpet of the opening ceremony for the 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival held in the city of Bucheon in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

2010071613512143167_1.jpg

Shin Hyun-jun, Ahn Sung-ki, Kang Su-yeon, Lee Duk-hwa and Oh Ji-ho. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

From left, Korean actors Shin Hyun-jun, Ahn Sung-ki, Kang Su-yeon, Lee Duk-hwa and Oh Ji-ho walk the red carpet of the opening ceremony for the 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival held in the city of Bucheon in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10 Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

July 16, 2010

Ryu Jin: ‘I Was Happy While Playing Lovely Character Han Do Hoon’

Actor Ryu Jin (38) always looked serious, cold, and cool-headed.

He used to be a son of a rich family and a member of the elite, and he used to be very popular among women, so he usually wandered between two women. Thanks to these characters that he has played so far, he completely melted into similar roles while acting in popular dramas such as SBS’s “Loving You a Thousand Times,” KBS’s “Mom Has Grown Horns” and ” Who Is My Love,” and MBC’s “General Hospital Season 2.” He seemed to settle down as a “stereotyped stable actor.” But, in the fourteen years since his debut, he has shown a shocking rebellion.

In the KBS 2TV spy action drama “Secret Agent Miss Oh,” which let down its curtain last month, he successfully transformed into a whimsical, ignorant, and cute man in the conglomerate family, and he earned nicknames such as “clumsy man” and “a man with ingenuous beauty.” His transformation was refreshing enough to stimulate lost appetite among viewers in the summer and viewers became excited. The pleasure they could have was no less excited than watching the “Gag Concert.” On the other hand, some people in the entertainment industry expressed painful regret for only having cast him in the same types of roles for the last fourteen years. During the interview held at a café located in Gangnam, Ryu Jin said, “When we held a party to celebrate the finishing of the drama, some production directors with whom I have no acquaintance gave me their business cards and suggested we work together in their next dramas. I was very happy when viewers loved me, but it was even more delightfulful that those production directors liked my acting.” He smiled with satisfaction.

He continued, “I had fear because the character was wholely new to me, but I had confidence that I could play this new character perfectly. Most of all, I was excited while filming the drama and felt pleasant instead of feeling awkward for trying something new, and even regretted not having tried this kind of character earlier. When people are smiling because of my acting, I laughed more than the others. I think that people have positive responses toward my acting because I personally enjoyed acting.”

7449_1400_l.jpg

In fact, the drama “Secret Agent Miss Oh” had started with a novel idea, but as the episodes went on, the flow of the story lost control and ended up becoming anticlimactic after the good start. The viewer ratings wer also poor, recording only one digit ratings, due to the MBC drama "Dong Yi,” which was airing at the same time on the other broadcasting station. But, as Ryu expected, the character Han Do Hoon was successful and became popular among viewers, so naturally, he had become more important character in the drama than the male lead Kim Sang Kyung’s character.

He said, “First of all, Han Do Hoon loves only one woman, which is different from the roles that I have played, so I think that I have been supported by viewers. When a man is wandering between two women, he looks indecisive. But, Han Do Hoon is very simple and honest, so he looks adorable. Even though he is a snob, even this character looked cute. I was also very happy because I could hide my age. Sometimes, I wore clothes which looked like a school uniform. It was too funny for me, so I even made mistakes many times. In the last scene filmed in a prison, I made up many ad-libs, and making up and brainstorming ideas for ad-libs was also a very good experience for me.”

He answered the question whether he is really a funny man in real life by saying, “People who know me very well have told me that I finally found my real personality onscreen and asked me why I have hidden my character. Of course, Han Do Hoon is much more outgoing than me, but I am also a wild-eyed person and a kind of talkative person. I have performed as serious persons in dramas for more than ten years, so even people who live in my neighborhood regard me as a serious person. I do not think that I transformed into a different person this time. I just revealed my different character that I could not show until now.”

7449_1401_l.jpg

But, other actors who worked together with him were also surprised by his acting. Actress Lee Soo Kyung, who had acted together with Ryu in their previous drama “Loving You a Thousand Times” by playing serious characters, said they could rediscover each other in this drama by playing comic characters together.

Ryu Jin said, “I had worked together with Lee Soo Kyung for about six to seven months when we filmed the drama 'Loving You a Thousand Times,' but we never knew each other’s comical personality. So, when we filmed this drama, we used to burst into laughter whenever we met.”

Ryu became an actor through SBS’s 6th open recruitment in 1996. But, for the first two years, he agonized over whether he had to act as his lifetime job. He said, “I studied tourism management at Kyungwon University and I had wanted to become a hotelier. Before my graduation, I had accidently applied for the recruitment of actors, and could debut as an actor. For the first two years, I was not attracted to acting at all, but as time went by, I could feel a kind of achievement that I had accomplished something. Thanks to those feelings, I think that I could continue acting. I have been very busy and there were no ups and downs and big risks for my acting career. It was kind of like I went up the stairs without taking the elevator. Sometimes, I had worried that I have been cast too many times for similar roles, but my concern was not that serious because I knew that people were still looking for similar roles for me anyway."

From now on, he will continue transforming himself, just like when he played Han Do Hoon for a while. He said, “Since the drama ‘Secret Agent Miss Oh’ did not record high viewer ratings, not many people watched my acting, so I want to take a role like Han Do Hoon in other dramas from now on. In the past, when I tried to transform myself, directors used to say ‘Can you change your character?' but maybe I guess that they would not react the same way at least. So, this is the right time for me to try many different things." He finished the interview by saying, “As time goes by, I really think that acting is a very attractive job. I was very happy while playing the character Han Do Hoon.”

7449_1402_l.jpg

Source: KBS Global

July 16, 2010

KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" press conference Part 1 - 2

Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Lynn Kim

2010071615513775570_1.jpg

From left, actors Yoo A-in, Song Joong-ki, Park Min-young and Micky Yoochun attend a press conference

for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong

in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The atmosphere at the press conference for KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal," held July 15 on the set in Hwaseong city, Gyeonggi Province, was unusually warm and it was not just because of the beautiful faces of actors Micky Yoochun, Song Joong-ki, Yu A-in and Park Min-young. When Micky Yuchun would pour out ridiculously humorous comments, such as "bed scene with just the bed" or "Sungkyunkwan Sweat-candal," Song Joong-ki, who was sitting next to him, would subtly provoke him by saying, "If you send me the questions for Micky Yuchun, I will translate his answers for you in the future." On top of this, Park Min-young, who remarked "When the director saw Micky Yoochun's body, he asked if TVXQ didn't have to work out," and Yu A-in, who says he was "relieved when he saw Micky Yoochun's body," try to pit one against Micky as well. Then they say, "We love Micky Yoochun" and make him unable to say or do anything. "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" is a historical romance drama, based on the popular novel 'The Days of Confucian Scholars at Sungkyunkwan," about the female-disguised-as-male scholar Kim Yoon-hee (played by Park Min-young), the perfect man Lee Seon-joon (Micky Yoochun), the suave guy Goo Yong-ha (Song Joong-ki) and the animalistic boy Moon Jae-shin (Yu A-in). Below is the conversation between four actors who, even prior to the show's airing, are showing a strong bond amongst themselves, one that is as solid as their characters who are called 'The Jeulgeum Foursome.'

2010071615513775570_2.jpg

Actress Park Min-young attends a press conference

for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal"

held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong

in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

[Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Could you each introduce your characters?

Micky Yoochun (Micky): First of all, I am glad to take on my first acting challenge through "Sungkyunkwan Scandal." From a third-person perspective, my character Ga-rang Lee Seon-joon is an extremely stiff, cold, indifferent and cold-blooded person. But he does have a humane side to him. And it is appealing how he worked so hard to make a name for himself without the help of his remarkable father.

Song Joong-ki (Song): I play Yeo-rim Goo Yong-ha in "Sungkyunkwan Scandal." The pen name Yeo-rim is made up of Chinese characters 'yeo,' which stands for female, and 'rim' which means the woods. That is how much the character is into women and booze, and he is very good with them. I wouldn't have been attracted to the character if that was all there is to him, but there is a different side to him. What impressed me was that he hides the sadness in his heart and pretends to be happy on the outside.

Park Min-young (Park): Kim Yoon-hee is a character who has an insatiable desire to learn but cannot achieve her dream because of her handicap, being a woman living in the Chosun Dynasty period. Then, by chance, she gets to enter Sungkyunkwan in place of her brother. There she meets all these great men, experiences love and friendship, and starts having grand dreams.

Yu A-in (Yu): Gul-oh Moon Jae-shin would be, what we call nowadays, a wild guy or animalistic guy. But when he meets good friends at Sungkyunkwan, he gradually starts changing and grows up.

Q: Micky Yoochun, this is your first public appearance and your first acting challenge since TVXQ announced that it would cease to work as a group. How have you been doing since and what made you take on acting?

Micky: I expected that this question would come up. When there was no activities to carry out as TVXQ, I lived an incredibly normal life. I studied music and practiced acting a lot. I went to see movies like other people do and spent a lot of time with my family, whom I hadn't spent much time with because of work. And I had been working as a singer all these years so I always had this image as 'Micky Yuchun' but through acting, I could become several different people. That was extremely appealing to me.

Q: Did Hero Jaejung or Kimi Hyun-joong give you a lot of advice since they had already debuted as actors?

Micky: I usually don't talk about uncomfortable things when I meet Hyun-joong. Jaejung didn't so much give advice but he helped me feel comfortable around this particular time, which is a big turning point in my life. Oh, I told him I was going to the set today and he said, "Go and die." (laugh)

2010071615513775570_3.jpg

Singer and actor Micky Yoochun attends a press conference

for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" held

at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province,

South Korea on July 15, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: It must not be easy playing the perfect man Seon-joon.

Micky: It is not hard at all. I have been wanting to live the good-boy life but I was busy working.. I am sorry. (laugh) This is my first dramatic role so it's not so much difficult but there are many new things that I am learning. I think hard and work hard in order to approach the character Seon-joon. I try to imagine various background information about him that were not all revealed in the original story. For example, how did he get so good at archery and why does he work so hard in everything? Sometimes I even write a diary from Lee Seon-joon's perspective before I go to sleep. When I eat at home these days, I never start eating until my mother picks up her spoon. Because Seon-joon is a well-mannered young man. (laugh)

Song: Mister Yoochun, you are not supposed to lie when answering a question. You have to tell the truth, right?

Micky: It is the truth!

Q: Then Song Joong-ki, what kind of person do you think Micky Yoochun is?

Song: I am learning a lot from Mister Yoochun in order to create my character Yong-ha. The director said that if I played Yeo-rim the way Mister Yoochun lives his life, I would no doubt win the grand prize in acting. (Looking over at Micky Yoochun) What, you didn't think I would talk about this? I came here determined to talk about this. (laugh)

Yu: In Micky's defense, Joong-ki is no pushover. (laugh)

Park: I think Yong-ha is similar to Joong-ki in real life. Hahahaha. There is a scene in the show where Yong-ha is practically living at the gisaengs' place and there was a big fuss in the editing room. That the actor and the character matched up the best.

Song: I forgot to say this a little while ago, but I personally love Micky Yoochun. (laugh) Of course, I am only saying this because of the TVXQ fans.

Q: I heard that Micky Yoochun is trying to be Seon-joon in his everyday life. How are Song Joong-ki and Yu A-in each approaching their characters?

Yu: Everybody thinks that I have this pretty boy-ish image but, in fact, I have never played such [pretty boy] role. In my previous works, I played unconventional roles like an orphan, a crazy-and-weird boy and a boxer. Jae-shin, in particular, is the most uncommon character. He is extremely tough and unrealistically macho. There are some parts [about the character] that are hard for me to take in, so I am often sorting them out with the director as I work.

Song: In my case, I think I have always played characters who bright, clean and nice except in the film "A Frozen Flower." I sometimes mentioned in my previous interviews that I wanted to play a character who had two different sides, and am truly grateful that I get to play this character. Yong-ha is similar to the real me, but I am not saying that we are alike in how we are good at drinking and seducing women. I am incredibly cheerful most of the time, but contrary to how I look I do have some strong aspects inside. And these aspects much resemble Yong-ha. On the outside, Yong-ha looks mellow, happy and enjoys the arts but he reveals a masculine side and composure underneath that appearance.

2010071617073768632_2.jpg

Actor Song Joong-ki attends a press conference

for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal"

held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong

in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

[Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: There is a bed scene between Seon-joon and Yoon-hee towards the latter half of the original novel "Sungkyungkwan Scandal." Should we be looking forward to that scene in the drama?

Micky: I'm guessing only the bed will be shown since it's a drama. (laugh) I'm sorry, the crew has told me to stop making these nonsensical jokes.

Everyone: (Stands up) We are sorry.

Micky: Anyway, I think it would be difficult

Q: Then can we look forward to seeing you three male characters bare some skin?

Park Min-young (Park): You must've seen us filming a few days ago. (laugh) We shot a skin baring scene two days ago. It's the scene where Seon-joon and Jae-shin both change out of their clothes thinking that Yoon-hee is a man and I noticed that they both [Yoochun and Yu] didn't eat anything before going into shoot for that. But the director said something after seeing Yoochun's body. (Looking over at Yoochun) Should I not say it?

Micky: ... (Steals the microphone.)

Park: (Takes back the microphone) The director said "Don't they make the members of TVXQ work out? Don't they make you get into shape?" That's how slim a physique he has maintained. On the other hand, you have Yu who plays a rough and wild character but changes with time. His face gradually becomes darker and his body becomes slimmer. He's the person that exudes the most becoming figure on set. But I'm not saying that Yoochun has a bad body. He has the body of an rich and elegant person. (laugh) I like Micky Yoochun too! (laugh)

Yu: I worried a lot because my original body frame wasn't that great and for a rough and wild character, a six-pack and muscles are a given. So I was relieved after seeing Yoochun's body. (laugh) Honestly, there is pressure to being called rough and wild. That is why I'm in the process of pulling out more of the rough and wild characteristics from within me. (laugh)

Q: Park, you have gotten to work with three goofy pretty-faced guys. What is the image you have of them from on set?

Park: You're asking me a risky question. (laugh) I was the last one to be cast and I was worried whether they'd be able to pull off their characters because they look so innocent and pretty. But once they put on their wardrobe, I saw that they looked better in them than I expected. In the drama Yoochun comes out as a clean-cut and wholesome guy. He always manages to lie down in an upright position and whenever he looks at someone, he will look into that person's eyes directly. It's as if he was born to act. Yu is actually a sentimental person but when we begin shooting, he will put on this piercing look. Everyone is doing well. I guess the main issue is whether I have the potential to pull off my character.

Q: What was it like to play a woman disguised as a man?

Park: It has both its advantages and disadvantages. In my previous project, I played a princess but now I get to wear more comfortable clothes so I get to sit down whenever I want and I can also roll around while lying down. But it's very hot because it is summer and I'm wearing bandages to hide the fact that I'm a girl. Another con is that I have to stand on a platform while we are filming because I'm short. (laugh) I feel that I'm losing my identity as the shoots go on. The crew treats me like a guy too. (laugh)

2010071617073768632_3.jpg

Actor Yoo A-in attends a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal"

held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: You must’ve felt pressured to play your role somewhat differently because a lot of dramas have been about women disguised as men.

Park: I myself have enjoyed watching such dramas so I’m well aware of the fact that because this is about the frequently used subject of a girl in disguise as a guy, it could easily become boring for viewers. “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” is about how one person achieves her dream after overcoming numerous obstacles during the Joseon Dynasty so I’m trying to deliver a certain sincerity by focusing on Kim Yoon-hee as an individual, rather than someone in disguise.

Q: You must have a hard time shooting a historical drama due to the hot weather.

Park: Unlike what they look like, these three men here sweat a lot. To the extent that I can see sweat running down their faces when they’ve shot just one scene. It takes much more time for them to wipe off their sweat than to shoot the scenes. That’s why Micky calls our drama “Sunkyunkwan Sweat-candle.” (laugh) Ridiculous jokes like these are overplayed on set. [Looking at Micky] You have something to say?

Micky: Park is scared of bugs but she’s good at catching them. Hmm, maybe this isn’t it.

Song: That’s not what it’s like. Park caught bugs? I didn’t know. Anyway, we need to say something fun, not say things like these. [Toward reporters] I’m very sorry but from now on, if you direct the question to me, I will hear Micky’s answer first and then translate it for you. And I would like to say one more time that I love Micky Yoochun. (laugh)

Q: You’re still in the early stages of shooting the drama but you all seem very close. Maybe it’s because you’re in the same age range?

Park: The first time I went for script rehearsal, Yoochun immediately said we should speak in lower form. [Koreans use honorific form to people older than them or new people. And I just thought, oh okay, and started talking to him in the lower form. And we’ve become really close because we shot a very romantic scene from the very beginning. I was acquainted with Joong-ki because we’re in the same agency, although I wasn’t close to him, so I called him ‘oppa’ [term Korean women use to refer to men older than them] at first. But he told me to treat him comfortably since we’re the same age so I call him ‘Joong-ki jjang.’ So I think I’ve become close to them much more quickly because of how I’ve been speaking to them in the familiar form, although I’m developing a love and hate relationship with Yoo because he hit my bottom in our first scene together. (laugh) We’re so busy chatting away on set that the director has to tell us to concentrate.

Q: Could you each say a line which best describes the drama?

Song: I can’t remember then line I said for the shoot at 10 this morning. What was it… Ah, it was the scene where Sun-joon enters Sungkyunkwan. I say, “Congratulations on getting in, Lee Suk-joon” which actually contains a lot of meanings.

Micky: Sun-joon thinks Yoon-hee is a guy so he says indifferently, “Take off your clothes.” (laugh)

Park: Then this is how I answer. [Turns to Micky] What?????

Yoo: And then this is what I say after I go into the room they’re in. “Get lost! I said get lost!!!”

Reporter: Lee Ga-on Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2010071616212263708_1.jpg

Song Joong-ki and Micky Yoochun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

From left, actor Song Joong-ki and singer and actor Micky Yoochun attend a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

2010071616192342353_1.jpg

Park Min-young [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Actress Park Min-young fixes her hat at a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" held at the show's set in the city of Hwaseong in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on July 15, 2010.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

Archived