[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

June 3, 2010

Jang Hyuk to promote "The Slave Hunters" in Japan

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010060313223162908_1.jpg

Korean actor Jang Hyuk [sidus HQ]

Korean actor Jang Hyuk will be leaving for Japan today to promote his hit TV series "The Slave Hunters," which is currently airing in the country.

Sidus HQ announced in a press release Thursday that the actor will be carrying out various promotional activities during his five-day visit including a press conference, interviews with local media and two fan meetings.

The fan meetings, titled "Jang Hyuk with LOVE," will be held at Tokyo's ZEPP music hall tomorrow and at Osaka's Universal Studios Japan on Sunday. "The local interest in Jang Hyuk is higher than ever," said a source related to the Japan promotion event. "We expect that this promotion will allow Jang to have an intimate, meaningful time with his fans."

Jang will be talking to Japanese fans about the drama as well as performing two songs and demonstrating Jeet Kune Do, a martial arts system created by legendary action star Bruce Lee.

"Hunters," about a slave hunter named Dae-gil (played by Jang), became one of the most-watched shows in Korea during its run earlier this year and has been airing on Japan's cable channel SO-NET since April 20.

Jang, who made his acting debut in 1996 thru SBS TV series "Model", has appeared in many films and television dramas including "School" (KBS, 1999), "Bright Girl's Success Story" (SBS, 2002) and "The War of Flower" (SBS, 2008), a small screen adaptation of the 2006 Korean film.

He is set to star in the Chinese remake of hit Korean drama "All About Eve," to premiere in China in September.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 3, 2010

Actresses shine in not-so-scary 'Ghost'

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

100603_p18_actress.jpg

A scene from the omnibus teen horror film “Ghost.” The movie premiered at the popular

Midnight Passion division at the 2009 Pusan (Busan) International Film Festival. It will

start showing at local theaters June 10. / Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

The omnibus teen horror flick “Ghost” leads the lineup of seasonal scary movies for the summer.

The first Korean film to be included in last year’s Midnight Passion, the popular horror movie section of the Pusan (Busan) International Film Festival (PIFF), it exhibits flashes of brilliance and creativity by its young directors and featured actors.

The movie had premiered under the title “Be With Me,” and all three stories are about the fear of being left alone. The basic premise is thoroughly Korean given the country’s shamanistic roots and pervasive national sentiment of “han,” which is unrequited causes and deeply imbedded sorrow that, in traditional folklore, keeps spirits from crossing over to the other side.

The experimental nature of the episodes distinguish them from conventional Korean “gyobok” (school uniform) horror movies, which are blood-splattered vendetta pieces stemming from jealousy, betrayed friendship and other sources of hormone-ridden teenage drama. It is more about special encounters with spirits that linger on campus and offers a novel, but rather far from terrifying, experience that is nevertheless worth noting as a showcase reel for promising new talent.

The project however could have done without the wrap-around episode by Kim Jho Gwang-soo, featuring television star Bae Su-bin as a mysterious tarot card fortune teller who hands out cards to the ill-fated heroines of each episode. The unifying theme should have been enough to keep the films together. The first installment by Jo Eun-kyung is perhaps the least impressive of the batch. It tries to offer thrills in the most conventional way, with eerie sound effects, splashes of blood and an awkwardly-rendered ghost that surprises you (or at least tries to) from behind. In short it’s like a visit to a haunted house at a high school carnival.

A girl who seems to be the school loner eats lunch by herself while looking after a stray kitten in an abandoned building of the school. You wonder whether to be bemused or horrified as she falls to her death after a fatal slip through the basement window. One day the younger members of the school’s drama team are given the mission to enter and retrieve items from the building’s old costume room. Three girls venture in, oblivious of the fact that a dead girl lurks, looking for a friend to keep her company.

Hong Dong-myeong offers perhaps the most engrossing story of the three. Actress Kim Kkobbi, who made her mark as the heroine of the multiple award-winning indie film “Breathless,” stars alongside Shin Ji-su, who has matured from her TV roles. So-yeong (Shin) and Nam-heui (Kim) are the best of friends. When a pregnant Nam-heui breaks up with her boyfriend, So-yeong helps her conceal her condition so that they can raise the child together once they go to college. The two girls and the boy who impregnated Nam-heui, however, also happen to be the top three students in class, and must compete for the one recommendation spot for Seoul National University.

On a final note, Joachim Yeo tells a delightful tale with a fantastic, experimental edge, though it is often more comic and cute rather than scary. Cheol-min (Lee Min-ho) is a boy with a secret ― he can see dead spirits. He ignores them as much as possible to lead a relatively normal teenage life until he meets a charming young ghost (fresh new face Choi Hye-gyeong).

The middle-school girl had been killed by a serial killer, but lingers around his classroom due to an unrequited love for one of Cheol-min’s classmates. When she realizes that Cheol-min can see her she asks that he be her cupid. But the ghost of the serial killer however manages to continue to threaten her even in the afterlife. Actor Park Won-sang makes a memorable appearance as an abominable teacher.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

June 3, 2010

Cho Min Ki: ‘I Wanted to Be Actor Since Junior High’

Actor Cho Min Ki, who has recently become famous in Japan since the drama “The Great Queen Seondeok” was introduced there, was invited to a beauty pageant to select a Japanese representative for the “2010 Miss Korea Beauty Pageant” held at Nakano Zero Grand Hall in Japan on May 30.

7400_1239_l.jpg

In a press conference held before the event, Cho Min Ki said, “The photo exhibition entitled ‘Live A…Frica’ has received a positive response in Tokyo, so the exhibition period has been extended to June 15, though it was originally planned to be finished on May 29. I did not expect that I could exhibit photos in Japan, but I think I was lucky. I want to keep having exhibitions in Japan if I can have the chance.”

He continued, “I have enjoyed traveling alone since 14 years ago, so the camera has become a good traveling companion. These days, I go on trips to take photos. I usually like to photograph the scenery and people wherever I go.”

Cho Min Ki said about his Japanese fan club (http://www.chominki.jp), which is planned to open on June 21, “As dramas such as ‘East of Eden’ and ‘The Great Queen Seondeok’ are loved by Japanese fans, I was able to come to Japan, and I really appreciate that I can have my own fan club in Japan. Since my second year of junior high school, I only wanted to be an actor -- I did not have any other future goal except that.”

Cho Min Ki will play a teacher of four handsome students of Confucianism named Jeong Yak Yong in the drama “SungKyunKwan Scandal,” which has become a hot topic as a member of Dong Bang Shin Ki, Micky Yoochun, has been cast as the main lead.

Source: KBS Global

June 4, 2010

Hong Sang-soo finally lets his characters have a laugh

[Jainnie's Cine Korea]

03214456.jpg

Kim Sang-kyung and Yu Jan-sang laugh it up in Hong Sang-soo’s new film. [JoongAng Ilbo]

After more than 10 feature films, it seems director Hong Sang-soo has finally learned to laugh out loud, instead of the occasional, sarcastic snicker. In his latest effort, “Ha Ha Ha,” Hong, always the elegant satirist, seems to have lightened up a bit, or at the very least, made an effort to do so.

The backdrop for “Ha Ha Ha” doesn’t differ greatly from his previous films. Hong’s signatures - the cowardly intellectuals, travel to a regional area in Korea, chance encounters with flighty women and existential questions about romantic love over soju or makgeolli (Korean rice wine) - are all there.

This time, however, the venomous sting in the characters’ jokes seems to have disappeared and they no longer seem as angry. Even the visuals have become sunnier, as the camera frequently lingers on a bright, emerald-colored sea and lustrous shots of the rural city of Tongyeong with a kind of warmth that was quite hard to find in other films by the director.

The film unfolds over a drinking session between Mun-gyeong (played by Kim Sang-kyung), a film director, and Jung-sik (played by Yu Jun-sang), a film critic, as they talk about their summer trips and realize that they were both in Tongyeong. Over a few bowls of makgeolli, they share anecdotes of their encounters with women and Mun-gyeong’s mother, who runs a restaurant there.

During their talk, the audience finds out that while the people they met in Tongyeong are interrelated, the two men never bumped into each other. Their intertwining stories bring out an interesting premise for the movie in dealing with the relationship between memory and perception, which is further driven by the contrast between the black-and-white shots of the drinking session and the color shots of the story that unfolds in Tongyeong.

The women in the film, Yun-ju (played by Yeh Ji-won) and Sung-ok (played by Moon So-ri) are one of the best parts of the film. Unlike many female characters from the director’s previous films, these two women were people I would love to go to lunch with. Throughout their misadventures with the men, they never succumb to being unrealistic, glossy versions of women. Both are laid-back while sometimes being neurotic, honest and funny, forgiving and self-deprecating.

A line during the first part of the film sets the tone for the movie, in which Mun-gyeong says, “Be aware of the dark and sad. The greatest evil lies inside them.” Yes, Mun-gyeong loses Sung-ok to her ex-boyfriend and Jung-sik takes anti-depressants as if he were taking vitamins. They, like all of us, get tangled up in things they don’t want to be faced with, but this time, Hong shows us that they can at least laugh about it sometimes.

By Cho Jae-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

June 4, 2010

Hollywood interested in Park Yong-ha's "Comrades" TV remake

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010060408533484604_1.jpg

Korean actor Park Yong-ha in his previous TV series "The Slingshot" [KBS2]

Korean TV series "Love Song," an upcoming small screen remake of legendary Hong Kong pic "Comrades, Almost a Love Story" starring Park Yong-ha, has a major Hollywood studio interested in acquiring its rights although the show has yet to go into production.

According to the show's producer Verdi Media on Friday, Warner Brothers, which owns the rights to the original film, has offered to buy the broadcasting rights of "Song" for the U.S. and Greater China region. "If this deal goes through, it will be the first time that a Korean drama will go beyond Asia and be broadcast worldwide," an official at Verdi was quoted as saying.

It will also be the first time that a Korean drama has received such an offer from a major Hollywood distributor based on the news alone that it is a remake of a famous film.

"Comrades," which starred top Hong Kong movie stars Maggie Cheung and Leon Lai, was the top-grossing foreign film when it was released in Korea in 1997. The film is an epic love story between two Chinese mainlanders who first meet and fall in love in Hong Kong and later re-unite in New York.

The local TV version -- to be set in China, Korea and Japan -- will go into shoot around late July and air in Korea at the end of the year. The series will be directed by TV producer Ji Young-soo ("Oh! Pil-seung Bong Soon-yeong", "My Fair Lady") and written by Oh Soo-yeon who penned smash hits dramas "Winter Sonata" (KBS2, 2002) and "Autumn Tale" (KBS2, 2000).

"Song" will star Korean actor Park Yong-ha as the male lead while producers are still looking for an actress to plan the main female character.

Park, 32, gained popularity throughout Asia after appearing in "Winter Sonata", a drama that first started the Hallyu craze, alongside top actors Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 4, 2010

(Movie Review) As bullets fly, '71 Into the Fire' loses steam

By Kim Hyun

AKR20100603261400005_01_i.jpg

SEOUL, June 4 (Yonhap) -- This month marks the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War (1950-1953), giving gravitas to Lee Jae-han's timely new film, "71 Into the Fire," which pays homage to the 71 students who became bullet sponges in the early days of the conflict when trained soldiers ran low.

Audiences probably expect to learn from the non-fiction story what was going through the minds of the teenage boys as they were transformed into reckless shooters during a 12-hour standoff at a frontline base. But the film does not take enough time to develop the characters, and viewers are told to satisfy themselves with shallow portrayals of their naivete, internal rivalry and helplessness.

The drama also tries to portray North Koreans in human terms, but the results are not so touching. The central character on the enemy side, played by Cha Seung-won, comes off as an unblended, detached mix of good and evil as he tries to balance his stone-faced belligerence with occasional moments of humor and humanity.

The story opens with an order for Kang Seok-dae (Kim Seung-woo) that he leave a frontline base to the youth squadron and hurry to the Nakdong River with his regular troops to fend off infiltrating North Koreans. The only boy in the squadron with battle experience, Jang-beom (Choi Seung-hyun, also known as T.O.P of the idol group Big Bang) is named commander.

The only training they receive is a single shooting round. Jang-beom becomes a subject of scorn to some of the uncontrollable bad boys, like Gap-su (Kwon Sang-woo), who otherwise would be in prison on an attempted murder charge. Horror descends unexpectedly one night as Park Mu-rang's North Korean army lands on their base instead of heading through the expected route over the Nakdong River on the southern tip of the Korean Peninsula. The boys, scantily armed, are left to fight the North Koreans and their rolling tanks until the regular troops return.

The director's own take of the Korean War occasionally shows in the lines of the characters, particularly in a letter from Jang-beom to his mother. Recalling a dying North Korean soldier he had shot for the first time, he says, "The North Korean puppet army that I knew was the monster with horns on its head. But the North Korean soldier that I saw today was a human being whose last word was 'O-ma-ni' (mother)."

The movie works in conflicting thoughts about the meaning of the war, which still hold today across the inter-Korean border. "Aren't you the bullet shields of the U.S. imperialists and their minion, Rhee Syngman?" the North Korean commander says to the boys. "Are you going to let the communists take our nation?" one boy says to others in the squadron.

As the North Korean army commander, Cha Seung-won plays perhaps the most interesting and complex character, but still falls flat. He is rigid, merciless and forcefully charismatic on the battlegrounds but goes soft in front of the piteous unarmed boys. But his inner conflicts do not come shining through.

In his screen debut, Choi Seung-hyun is one of the more poignant characters, delivering a range of emotions from fear and despair to triumph and joy without relying on many words.

The 11.3 billion won (US$9.4 billion) blockbuster, produced by Taewon Entertainment, will arrive at local theaters on June 16.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr l yonhapnews.co.kr

June 4, 2010

Director Lee Jae Han: ‘‘Into the Fire’ Is My Ambitious Work’

7402_1243_l.jpg

▲ A press preview of the movie “Into the Fire” was held at Lotte Cinema in KunKook University

branch on June 3. Director Lee Jae Han and cast members (from left) Kim Seung Woo,

Kwon Sang Woo, Cha Seung Hyun, and Cha Seung Won pose for pictures.

Director Lee Jae Han: "I have given special attention to making visuals. I seriously considered every scene to make beautiful scenes.” After the press preview held on Lotte Cinema Kunkook University branch on June 3, director Lee Jae Han had participated in the press conference and said, “I devoted myself to film every scene of this movie. This movie is my ambitious work.”

The movie “Into the Fire” is a blockbuster movie with an investment amounting to 11.3 billion won for production. Vivid and vigorous battle scenes and splendid images in the film are outstanding. Lee mentioned, “I was seriously concerned about making images. The scene that I made my utmost effort to make perfect is the last scene on a rooftop where four main actors come together.” He also explained, “The scene where the cast members fall down one by one symbolizes the tragedy of fratricidal war.” The movie “Into the Fire” was produced based on the real story of 71 student soldiers who took part in a pivotal bloody battle in the Nakdong River region in August, 1950, which was the most important battle between North and South Korea to decide the victory of the war.

The army led by Kang Seok Dae (Kim Seung Woo) had been withdrawn from Pohang to defend the Nakdong River area and left only 71 student soldiers behind. Jang Bum (T.O.P) was appointed as a company commander, but his troops periodically caused friction with other soldiers led by Kap Cho.

7402_1244_l.jpg

▲ Actor Kwon Sang Woo and T.O.P, who participated in the press preview

held at Lotte Cinema on June 3, give their thoughts on the film.

Park Moo Rang (Cha Seung Won), a commander of North Korean soldiers who devastated the Youngduk region with his 766 guerrilla troops, disobeyed the Communist Party’s order to advance to the Nakdong River, instead secretly changing course into Pohang and ending up fighting with the student soldiers who were left behind.

The movie was caught up in controversy from the beginning. It had been released for the first time in a preview held at the Asia-Pacific Research Center at Stanford University. At that time, an old map shown in the beginning of the movie indicated the East Sea as the “Sea of Japan,” so it evoked much criticism.

Director Lee Jae Han urgently apologized by saying, “We were busy preparing for the final film, so I could not pay enough attention to the preview held at Stanford University. Everything is my fault. I am so sorry that we have caused a shameful thing and I really regret that.”

T.O.P debuted as a movie actor through this movie and he said, “I tried to be natural rather than act because I did not want to be seen as obviously acting. To be the 17 year-old Jang Bum, I did not care about my appearance and I just put all my energy into it.”

June 4, 2010

"Sister of Cinderella" makes proud exit from small screen

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

KBS series “Sister of Cinderella” made a successful exit from its Wednesday and Thursday primetime slot, scoring the highest ratings amongst its competitors once again for its final episode yesterday.

According to figures released by TNmS (Total National Multimedia Statistics) on Friday, "Cinderella" recorded viewership ratings of 22.3 percent on June 2 and 22.7 percent the following day, respectively. The drama saw slightly lower ratings on AGB Nielsen Media Research, accumulating ratings of 20 percent on Wednesday and 19.4 percent on the final episode the next day.

“Cinderella” had been received well by viewers since its premiere on March 31, recording ratings which started above the 15 percent mark and gradually gained to once hit a peak in the high 20 percentile range. The series will be succeeded by a new drama tentatively titled “Baker Kim Tak-go,” starring Korean actor Yoon Si-yoon and Kim Eugene.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

[REVIEW] TV series "Sister of Cinderella" - Final episode

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun Editor.Lynn Kim

2010060414302755307_1.jpg

A scene from KBS TV series "Sister of Cinderella" [KBS]

"Sister of Cinderella" - Final episode (KBS2 TV, 9:55 PM)

The twentieth episode felt a bit long and so did its its running time of one hour. TV series "Sister of Cinderella" had, in the beginning, absorbed its viewers by depicting on the intense emotions and relationships amongst its characters. But halfway into the show's run, the drama got lost and later tried to spark it up again with the melodrama between Eun-jo (played by Moon Geun-young) and Ki-hoon (played by Chun Jung-myung). But the show, which had a strong start, ended on a weak note.

After Ki-hoon and Eun-jo confirm their love for each other, they are about to reveal everything to Hyo-seon (played by Seo Woo). But as Ki-hoon ends up getting questioned by authorities, Hyo-seon hears about Ki-hoon's past mistake from Eun-jo and ends up misunderstanding and criticizing Eun-jo. The situation was a replay of the numerous conflicts that the two sisters had gone through over the years. When Hyo-seon resents her sister for making her lose everything in life, Eun-jo runs after her and tries to reconcile. But she ends up blaming herself, wondering if "fairy tale endings do not suit her after all." When Ki-hoon tells her that he will be returning, Eun-jo follows Jung-woo (played by Ok Taecyeon) and leaves her home. But her leaving home is probably just a set-up in the story to make the two characters meet again, not the escape from this world that Eun-jo had long been hoping for.

It was rather tiring than heartbreaking to watch Eun-jo play hide-and-seek with Ki-hoon, whom she loves so passionately. She leaves him with a little note that said in Spanish, "Please take care of Hyo-seon," and then runs away to a place that is not so hard to find. And watching Hyo-seon easily let go of her lifelong love and hatred for her sister, giving up Ki-hoon when Eun-jo leaves, makes Hyo-seon's emotions feel almost futile. Even so, one could not turn the channel till witnessing the final moment that Ki-hoon, just as we had predicted, finds Eun-jo and utters, "I love you, you bad girl." That was the undeniable charm of watching "Sister of Cinderella."

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 4, 2010

Actress dies of stomach cancer

Min-kyung.jpg

Actress Kim Min-kyung died of stomach cancer Thursday. She was 30.

She was diagnosed with the disease after the shooting of the film 'My School E.T. (2008),' and her condition gradually worsened. She passed away at 3 a.m.

The late actress did not reveal her condition to her friends, always maintaining a happy demeanor, a close friend of Kim said.

She was known for her work in such TV shows as 'Damo," which aired on MBC in 2003. The funeral will take place at Asan Medical Center in Seoul on June 5.

1275569845.jpg

Source: kwh8121@gmail.com koreatimes.co.kr

June 4, 2010

Lee Doo-young set for Puchon retrospective

Director pioneered Korean martial arts films

By Park soo-mee

SEOUL -- A selection of films by veteran Korean director Lee Doo-young will be featured during the 14th Puchon International Fantastic Festival, co-hosted by the festival and Korean Film Archive.

A leading figure of 70s and 80s martial arts films, Lee won the ISDAP award at the Venice International Film Festival, and was selected for the Un Certain Regard in Cannes before Korean cinema came into fashion.

From his romantic debut film “The Lost Wedding Veil” (1970) to the historical epic “General in Red” (1973), his films crossed different genres and styles. “A Dynamic Lee Doo Yong Retrospective” during the festival presents six of his works, including “Returned Single-legged Man” (1974) and “Manchurian Tiger” (1974).

From the early 70s, Lee emerged as a pioneer of the Korean martial arts genre. The action in his films showed a unique style distinct from Hong Kong martial arts films, and his early movies such as “Left Foot of Wrath” became a landmark for Korean action flicks. “I’m proud to bring back the director’s digitally re-mastered works with intrinsic historical value in Korean cinema,” said the programmer Jin Park. “The retrospective’ will provide a special opportunity for the fans of native Korean martial arts films.”

Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival runs July 15-25.

Source: hollywoodreporter

Cannes productive for Korea's Finecut

Deals made for 'Bedevilled,' 'Poetry' and others

By Park Soo-mee

SEOUL – Works of arthouse Korean directors by a Seoul-based sales company Finecut were picked up during Cannes.

“Poetry,” the Cannes Best Screenplay Award winner by director Lee Chang-dong, was picked up by companies in various regions including Taiwan’s Khan Entertainment, Golem for Spain and Kino Lorber for U.S. The film was previously sold to Diaphana for France, and is currently under negotiation with U.K., Japan, and other territories.

“Bedevilled,” a feature debut at Critic’s Week by Jang Cheol-soo, was also sold to Bir Film for Turkey, Optimum Releasing for U.K., Maywain Films for ex-USSR, and Catchplay for Taiwan.

On the more commercial side, “71-Into the Fire” added Maywin Films for ex-USSR and Festive Films for Singapore to its list of distributors following its previous deals with Showbox (U.K.) and Ascot Elite (Germany and Switzerland). The film will be released later this month in Korea with about 500 screens by Lotte Entertainment.

Finecut also closed a package deal of four Korean films with Bir Film including “Crossing” and “Daytime Drinking.” Japan’s SPO signed a deal for “Twilight Gangster,” “Daytime Drinking” and “My Dear Enemy,” while Taiwan’s Catchplay bought “IRIS: The Movie” and Hong Sangsoo’s “Hahaha.”

Source: hollywoodreporter

June 5, 2010

Lee In-hye Tops Bestseller List with Study Tips

2010060500318_1.jpg

Lee In-hye

Actress Lee In-hye is in the spotlight for her academic achievement, having published a book about study tips she acquired as a top student in school while also pursuing her acting career. It has become a bestseller just over one week after its launch on May 20.

Lee began her acting career as a child but never neglected her studies, getting into Korea University, one of the country's three most prestigious schools, through the normal admissions track. She is currently a lecturer in college and is studying for a master's degree at her alma mater.

Based on her experience, she suggests the best way to approach studying, recalling her childhood when she had to juggle her acting career and school work. She describes in detail how she made maximum use of little bits of free time and offers tips for memorizing and tackling subjects. "Studying is not a choice, it is a must. No matter what you want to do in your life, studying hard can always help you to do better. It enhances your value," she says.

Her management agency said Lee is the first in show business to write about how to study. Her tips "seem to attract huge attention from young people and parents alike, as Lee has always been top of her class despite her acting career."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

June 4, 2010

'Glamorous' Uee reveals denim pictorial

100604_pm_yui.jpg

Famous for her baby face and full, glamorous figure, Uee will reveal provocative pictorial for the new issue of magazine Highcut.

The pictorial for denim brand "7 For All Mankind" features the singer-actress in a variety of outfits, including skinny jeans and revealing white top.

In the interview with the magazine, she talked about her father, who coaches for baseball team Nexen Heroes. "Throwing the first ball in the opening game for my father's team has always been my dream, and I've finally accomplished it," she said.

Uee was not afraid to tackle difficult poses, some of which involved her lying on the floor. She is currently shooting drama series 'Buddy Buddy' which is slated to air later this year.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

June 6, 2010

Drink model in provocative pictorial

100606_am_drink.jpg

A girl who is sweet by day and sexy by night is every man's dream, and a new online pictorial seeks to fulfill that fantasy.

Actress Im So-yeong Wednesday revealed her provocative photographs at a press meet-and-greet. The pictorial, titled 'Day and Night,' showcases two different images of the 26-year-old actress.

In the first part, Im shows an innocent and cheerful side of her personality. The latter part is more provocative, featuring images of Im in revealing swimwear and lingerie. "She was very proactive, experimented with different outfits and poses," an on-set source revealed. "Her professional work ethic wowed everyone on the set."

Im is famous for her role in the popular 2006 TV drama series 'Jumong.' She recently emerged on the public's radar again for her recent TV commercial for energy drink Bacchus-F, earning her the nickname 'Bacchus Girl.'

The pictorial is available online at the Starhwabo website (www.starhwabo.com) as well as on major mobile phone networks.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

June 7, 2010

Gang Dong-won denies going to military in November

Reporter : Park Kun-oucEditor : Lynn Kim

20100120085755018845960_00000009_1_PA.jpg

Korean actor Gang Dong-won [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Gang Dong-won has denied recent rumors that he will be joining the army in November to fulfill his mandatory two-year military service.

An official at Gang's agency talked with Asia Economic Daily over the phone on Saturday, downplaying the media reports as "not true." "Nothing has been set regarding his military entrance date," said the official, adding that Gang has not even received a draft notice from Korea's Military Manpower Association.

Gang, 29, rose to stardom after appearing in the 2004 film "Romance of their Own." He most recently starred in comic fantasy flick "WOOCHI", which became a local box office hit, and the critically acclaimed film "Secret Reunion" alongside top Korean actor Song Gang-ho.

He is currently shooting a film tentatively titled "Psychic," after which he plans to enter the military.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 7, 2010

Lee Na-young to star in new TV series with Rain

Reporter : Park Kun-oucEditor : Lynn Kim

20100107172241000379563_00000017_1_PA.jpg

Korean actress Lee Na-young [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Lee Na-young has been cast in upcoming KBS TV series tentatively titled "The Fugitive," making her first small screen comeback in six years.

According to various industry sources, the actress is set to play the female lead opposite Rain, who is also returning to the small screen for the first time since starring in the 2005 SBS drama "A Love To Kill."

Lee's agency remained cautious about the news, however, saying they are "in negotiations" but has not yet finalized the deal. "Fugitive" will be directed by noted television producer Kwak Jung-hwan and written by Chun Sung-il, the duo behind the recent hit TV series "The Slave Hunters."

Lee, 31, first rose to stardom with TV series "Ruler of Your Own World" (MBC, 2002) and was last seen on the small screen in "Ireland" (MBC, 2004).

She has also starred in several notable films such as "Please Teach Me English" (2003) and "Maundy Thursday" (2006) and "Someone Special," for which she won best actress at the 25th Blue Dragon Film Awards.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 7, 2010

Jung Woo-sung to attend Venice film fest with John Woo pic

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seokEditor : Lynn Kim

20091218173922103616154_00000001_1_PA.jpg

Korean actor Jung Woo-sung [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Jung Woo-sung will be making his international debut at the 67th Venice Film Festival in September through new John Woo pic "Reign of Assassins."

According to the film's importer Sane Company Inc. on Sunday, the festival committee has invited Jung and Woo to premiere their martial arts flick at the event, which kicks off in Venice on September 1. Woo will also be receiving a lifetime achievement award at the film fest this year, organizers said.

In the film, Jung plays an ordinary postman with extraordinary martial arts skills while Chinese actress Michelle Yeoh of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Memoirs of a Geisha", portrays a top-notch female assassin. The two team up to fight and obtain the 800-year-old ashes of Dalma.

"Assassins" was directed by Taiwanese filmmaker Chao-Bin Su and produced by world-renowned director John Woo of "Mission: Impossible II" and "Face/Off," along with his long-time movie-making partner Terence Chang.

Jung, 36, has starred in numerous Korean films including 1997 hit flick "Beat" with Korean actress Ko So-young and the critically acclaimed "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" alongside Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun.

Jung made his first English-speaking feature film appearance through "Season of Good Rain" last year, which was directed by South Korean filmmaker Heo Jin-ho and co-starred Chinese actress Gao Yuanyuan.

"Assassins" is scheduled for worldwide release in October.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 7, 2010

Tablo Responds to Forgery Rumor on Twitter

Tablo posted a message on Twitter stating, "I am sad due to a rumor that I forged my educational background."

7403_1246_l.jpg

He continued, “From the beginning, I think that [the originators of the rumor] did not want to disclose a truth, they just wanted to express their hatred towards me...I am sad about this situation, that this kind of unfair incident can happen to me.”

Epik High’s Tablo (real name Lee Sun Woong, 30), who graduated from Stanford University in the USA, expressed his uncomfortable feelings towards some people who have suggested that Tablo had forged his academic background. He posted his feelings on his Twitter on June 3.

Tablo said, “Due to some people who attack me simply to attract interest, many people including myself, people in my school, other netizens, people working in the broadcasting industry and reporters have verified my academic background several times. The same thing already happened a few years ago, and, at that time, my educational background was completely proven. But, some people still deny every single truth and, what is worse, they are outspoken in criticizing me and my parents. They even made up a fictitious story and sent emails and letters to my family, which obviously made our family’s life difficult.”

He added, “I know that I have to endure all this, but I have thought that it is the attacker who needs to explain these actions. Some people cursed me with words that should not be spoken to me and my family, and demanded an explanation from me. What kind of explanation do I have to give?”

Tablo became a father recently as his wife and actress Kang Hye Jeong has given birth to a baby. He finished his statement by saying, “I just became a father and I am trying my best to live life to the full. I do not want to waste my precious time anymore.”

Tablo had sued a netizen for defamation last April. The netizen posted his claims online that Tablo lied about his academic background and the claim also contained other libel about Tablo’s whole family.

June 8, 2010

Tablo Continues To Receive Heat Over His Education

e100608_01.jpg

It appears that the controversial issue over whether or not Tablo of Epik High really graduated from the prestigious Standford University is only continuing to heat up. There are various online community sites with over 30,000 members as of June 8th, petitioning for Tablo to reveal the truth behind his education.

Originally, Tablo was known to have graduated with an undergraduate and a graduate degree from the famous Stanford University located in California, USA in the span of three short years. When Epik High first debuted, this was one reason many people took interest in the front man and the group itself. After one particular netizen posted up claims last April, that all of this was false, Tablo decided to take legal action. He posted on his personal Twitter site on the 3rd that this ordeal over the public's distrust in his education background is not only effecting him, but his family as well -- especially his parents who are receiving criticisms via mail as well. He added that he thought the air should be cleared after simply showing the proper related documents.

Though Tablo claims that the truth has been investigated and vindicated, aside from his verbal claims, there hasn't been enough solid proof to quiet doubters.Though it may seem like it's only a matter of the past, this contraversial issue is spreading to effect other aspects of the artist such as his musical talent and mandatory military service. This is arguably the biggest hurdle the singer has faced since his debut.

2010 MTV Movie Awards: Robert Pattinson and Rain Take One Prize Each

June 07, 2010 03:10:22 GMT

00033015.jpg

The British heartthrob wins Best Male Performance for his role in 'New Moon', while the Korean actor is dubbed Biggest Badass Star.

After several female performers dominate the early winners of 2010 MTV Movie Awards, it is time for male stars to show their roars at the event. Robert Pattinson and Rain have just received a gong each for different categories.

The "Twilight" actor gets Best Male Performance prize for his portrayal of Edward Cullen in "The Twilight Saga's New Moon". He credits his co-star Kristen Stewart for his win while taking the award from presenters Jessica Alba and Vanessa Hudgens. As for Rain, the "Ninja Assassin" hunk is dubbed Biggest Badass Star.

Additionally, Tom Felton and Ken Jeong have also taken home the golden popcorn trophies from the awards show. The depicter of Draco Malfoy in "Harry Potter" film series is named Best Villain for his performance in "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" while the comedian's nude scene in "The Hangover" helps him to win Best WTF Moment kudo.

Other winners of the 19th Annual MTV Movie Awards will be revealed soon as the show is currently held at the Gibson Amphitheater in Universal City, California. Aziz Ansari hosts the ceremony which has Christina Aguilera among the musical performers.

Credit source :

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00033015.html

June 7, 2010

Rain becomes 1st Korean to score win at MTV Movie Awards

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

100607025045_815993497_b.jpg

Multi-talented entertainer Rain has become the first Korean celebrity to score a win at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards, according to his agency J. Tune Entertainment on Monday.

J. Tune announced in a press release that the singer and actor was named "Biggest Badass Star" at the awards ceremony, held Sunday (U.S. time) in Los Angeles.

Rain picked up MTV's signature popcorn trophy for his star turn in last year's martial arts pic "Ninja Assassin," beating out high-profile nominees such as Angelina Jolie, Channing Tatum, Chris Pine and Sam Worthington.

The star, who had previously said that he was happy just to even be attending the event, delivered the following message through the agency after his big win. "I think everything I endured while shooting 'Ninja Assassin' is coming to fruition. I would like to thank the fans who have given me enormous support from the bottom of my heart," the actor was quoted as saying.

Born Jung Ji-hoon, Rain has released six studio albums to date and performed at numerous concert tours throughout Asia and in the U.S. including a sold-out concert at Madison Square Garden. He has been busy building his career in Hollywood over the past few years, making his debut through the Wachowski Brothers' pic "Speed Racer" in 2008 and following it up with a lead role in "Assassin."

Last March, he scored a triple win at the Green Planet Movie Awards, picking up trophies for "10 Outstanding Asians in Hollywood," "Asian Cultural Ambassador of the Year" and "Best International Entertainer (Asia)."

Rain will be returning to Korea tomorrow evening.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Rain wins Biggest Badass Star at MTV Movie Awards

20100607151640bodyfile.jpg

SEOUL, June 7 (Yonhap) -- Korean singer and actor Rain has scooped the Biggest Badass Star at the MTV Movie Awards for his role in Hollywood action flick "Ninja Assassin," his agent said Monday.

Rain had been nominated with four other Hollywood stars, Angelina Jolie, Chris Pine, Channing Tatum and Sam Worthington for the award chosen through Internet voting. Rain plays the most lethal assassin among the Special Forces Ninjas in the movie, which was directed by James McTeigue and produced by Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers.

"Wow. It's amazing," Rain said after receiving the award from Jackie Chan at the ceremony held in Los Angeles Sunday night (local time). "They told me I was nominated for the Badass Award, so I've been working out ... Thank you so much." The clip showing him receiving the award was broadcast on YouTube.

Rain, whose real name is Jeong Ji-hoon, is the first Korean to win an MTV Movie award and the fifth Asian, following Cheng Lung ("Rush Hour"), Zhang Ziyi ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"), Lucy Liu ("Kill Bill") and Chiaki Kuriyami ("Kill Bill").

A Korean-American doctor-turned-actor, Ken Jeong, took the Best WTF Moment award for his comic, naked acting in "The Hangover." Fantasy blockbuster "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" swept four awards at the ceremony, the Best Movie, the Best Male Performance, the Best Female Performance and the Best Kiss.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

June 7, 2010

Rain gets ’Biggest Badass Star’ award

Hallyu star Rain took home the MTV Movie Awards Biggest Badass Star trophy on Monday morning for his performance in the Wachowski Brothers’ martial arts flick “Ninja Assassin” (2009), making him the first Korean star to nab the honor.

“Wow. Amazing. I appreciate it,” Rain a.k.a. Jung Ji-hoon, clad from head to toe in black, said while accepting his award: an iconic cup of gilded popcorn.

20100607000596_0.jpg

The award was presented to him by two-time Olympic gold medalist Shaun White, action star Jackie Chan and “The Karate Kid” sidekick Jaden Smith.

The 27-year-old kept his speech short and sweet, kicking it off with a joke: “They told me I was nominated for the Badass award so I’ve been working out.” When the laughter meter fell short of his expectations, he said: “Why so serious? Enjoy. Thank you so much. Thank you.”

20100607000645_0.jpg

Rain is seen backstage at the MTV Movie Awards in Universal City, Calif., on June 6, 2010. (AP-Yonhap)

His blood-hungry ninja beat out major contenders “Wanted” actress Angelina Jolie, “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” heartthrob Channing Tatum, “Clash of Titans” hunk Sam Worthington and “Star Trek” hero Chris Pine. With winners being selected by the general public via cyberspace, the win is a sign of the fan base the K-pop star has amassed, either for his stunning acting prowess, his picture-perfect abs, his vocals or all of them.

Just moments before Rain nabbed his win, Korean-American actor Ken Jeong got his award for his riotous performance in the sleeper hit “The Hangover” (2009). Jeong won Best WTF Moment for his turn as Las Vegas mobster Leslie Chow, a nod to the scene where he jumps out of a car trunk in the nude and whoops richard simmons. He was also nominated for Best Villian but lost to “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” actor Tom Felton.

The comedian appeared in a string of movies, including Judd Apatow’s hit “Knocked Up” (2007) and according to director Michael Bay’s website (www.michaelbay.com), is set to appear in the director’s third “Transformers” movie. The expletive-loaded fun fest that was the 19th annual MTV Movie Awards aired live from Los Angeles on Sunday night.  

Since its inception by the American cable television network MTV in 1992, this awards ceremony has set itself apart from the more formal and somber Academy Awards and Golden Globes by catering to the younger generation, relying on the voting power of the masses and mixing things up with light-hearted parodies.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

MTV names Rain Biggest Badass Star

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

Korean star Rain was Sunday crowned Biggest Badass Star at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards for his role in ``Ninja Assassin.''

The 27-year-old beat Hollywood A-list candidates such as Angelina Jolie, Channing Tatum and Sam Washington for the award, which goes to a notable performance in an action movie. He is the first Korean to be recognized at the MTV Movie Awards. There are only four past recipients of the Badass prize who are Asian: Jackie Chan for "Rush House,'' Zhang Zi-yi for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,'' and Lucy Liu and Chiaki Kuriyama for "Kill Bill.''

"Ninja Assassin'' was the 27-year-old's first Hollywood lead role and second collaboration with the Wachowski brothers, who are best known as the creators of "The Matrix'' series. He made his Tinseltown debut in "Speed Racer,'' which was produced by the brothers and directed by "V for Vendetta'' director James McTeigue.

In "Ninja Assassin,'' Rain played the part of Raizo, an orphan who is trained by a secret ninja clan to become a deadly killer. But when Raizo witnesses the murder of a friend he turns his back on his clan and plots revenge. The film was noted for featuring no-cut skirmishes, employing very little visual effects. Rain trained for six hours a day for half a year alongside stuntmen to perform about 90 percent of the stunts using minimal wire support.

Before foraying into Hollywood, Rain first rose to stardom in Asia as a pop singer and in hero TV melodramas. He has appeared in popular shows such as "Full House.'' Meanwhile, Korean-American actor Ken Jung won the award for Best WTF Moment for the comedy "The Hangover.'' The medical doctor-turned-funnyman inspired much laughter for his physical farce in the film as Mr. Chow.

Launched in 1992, the MTV Movie Awards features popular mainstream movies and chooses its winners based on online votes by netizens. This year's Best Movie award went to "The Twilight Saga: New Moon.'' Its lead actors Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewert won the awards for best male and female performances, respectively, as well as the Best Kiss.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

Archived