[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

Jung puts a new spin on embattled Korean men

201003030037.jpg

Jung Bo-seog, a veteran actor who plays a hapless Korean husband in the hugely popular sitcom

series "High Kick through the Roof" [Park Hae-mook/The Korea Herald]

Veteran actor Jung Bo-seog plays a seemingly helpless and hopeless character in the hugely popular MBC sitcom "High Kick through the Roof."

He works for his father-in-law's food company as a vice president but he has neither ability nor authority. His wife, daughter and other family members simply ignore him, as if he's invisible.

Jung's character is, if anything, a pathetic loner in the noisy family, representing a growing number of middle-aged Korean men who are finding their role shrinking rapidly at home and in the workplace.

This particularly embarrassing character bearing his real name in the sitcom is fairly new for Jung, an established actor with numerous roles under his belt for television dramas and movies including director Hong Sang-soo's "Oh! Soo-jung (Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors)" (2000).

"Bo-seog is a lonely guy, and he finds himself squeezed in the workplace. At home he cannot talk about his work, nor does he have any nerve to talk about his family matters with his colleagues. Nobody recognizes him, so he often hangs out with his drinking buddies, and I think there are many Korean men like him," Jung said in an interview.

Jung's character in "High Kick," which is drawing to a close this month, is especially fearful of his father-in-law, Lee Soon-jae, a bossy food company chief. Jung swallows verbal abuse from Lee on a daily basis, having no alternative but to stay the course.

"In fact, all workplaces are battlefields. We are battling to survive and struggling to protect the family. But since we stretch ourselves like this, we end up being lonely," Jung said. "People are just focused on running faster. For real happiness, what we need is take it slow, at least one step behind."

Although the character does not have any positive aspect, Jung's popularity is through the roof. Jung is fondly called "Jok-sama" -- referring to his one and only talent in simplified soccer called "jok-gu" -- and the number of fans tracking his performances is on the rise.

Jung, who made a debut as an actor in 1986, said he has never experienced this kind of enthusiastic response from fans. "Even a kindergarten kid recognizes me on the street," Jung said, adding that the pathetic character in "High Kick" has certainly narrowed the gap with the public.

Jung, however, believes he has a long way to go as a professional actor. "I'm still trying to improve my performances because I know my acting is not up to the standard. In my career, I think I'm almost halfway through, but I don't want to sugarcoat my public image. Perhaps by the time I turn 60, I may be able to let myself act naturally," he said.

Jung said he tries to connect with the character he plays, as he believes true communication between what he is and what he wants to represent on television or in films is the best way to broaden the horizon in terms of acting.

Jung's willingness to communicate with his drama character as well as other people is well illustrated on his Twitter account (http://twitter.com/bsjung). Unlike other famous people who rarely follow other ordinary Twitter users, Jung tries to follow as many people as possible. On Sunday, Jung tweeted on his generous policy: "I follow those who follow my account because I have started Twitter in order to communicate with people from all walks of life. Where can I find a better place to learn as an actor?"

Credits : Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010-03-03

‘The Great Merchant’ Lifts Veil with Production Conference

A production conference for the new KBS1 period drama “The Great Merchant” was held last Thursday on Jeju Island, where the show is set.

404_1082_l.jpg

▲ The director and stars of the drama at a press conference

Based on the true story of a wealthy Jeju-born merchant woman from the Joseon era, Kim Man-deok, who practiced noblesse oblige, the drama stars Lee Mi-yeon. It will be her first historical drama in nine years after “The Last Empress Myeongseong.”

Director Kang Byeong-taek said, “Since the ancient Joseon period was a Confucian caste society, Kim Man-deok must have had many obstacles not only because she was a woman but also because she was a lowly gisaeng. But she fought all the obstacles and shaped her destiny to become a successful merchant. That made me attracted to her story.”

“Although it deserves more attention, it’s not that well known. I hope our drama helps people better understand her life,” he added.

404_1083_l.jpg

▲ Lee Mi-yeon

Lee Mi-yeon discussed what she felt about playing the role, as she has came back to TV after a three-year hiatus. She said, “I feel excited and nervous at the same time. I know it wouldn’t be easy to play a real-life figure because the way I portray her can determine the way people remember her. I’ll just do my best along with all our great cast and crew.”

Lee added, “I know many people are very interested in how I will perform this time because she is as charismatic as the empress Myeongseong, whom I played previously. To be honest, that gives me quite a lot of pressure. I want to forget about Empress Myeongseong and focus on my new role.”

404_1084_l.jpg

▲ Stars of the drama. From left, Han Jae-suk, Lee Mi-yeon, Ko Doo-sim, Park Sol-mi and Ha Suk-jin

Ko Doo-sim plays a woman who raises Kim Man-deok and serves as her mentor. The veteran actress, herself a Jeju native, has special affinity for the figure, as she portrayed her in a 1978 daily drama and now serves as the president of the foundation established in memory of her. She said, “It means something to me that I am part of this work, which sheds light on the life of the person I admire from my hometown.”

Han Jae-suk and Ha Suk-jin play opposite Lee to form a love triangle, while Park Sol-mi takes up the role of Lee’s rival, Oh Mun-seon.

Succeeding “The Reputable Family,” “The Great Merchant” airs on Saturdays and Sundays at 9:40 p.m. from March 6.

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Photo: KBS public relations team Lee Min-gyu

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS GLOBAL

March 03, 2010

Film Mother receives nominations at overseas film festivals 

20103317344894789.jpg

Bong Joon-ho's 2009 film 'Mother'

Director Bong Joon-ho's movie “Mother” (2009) continues to receive favorable reviews at international festivals abroad.

A thriller about a mother's quest to free her handicapped son from a false charge of murder was recently awarded the Best East Meets West Cinema Award at the 25th Santa Barbara International Film Festival in the United States in mid-February.

The movie already won two other international awards last year: for the best screenplay in the Asia-Africa film category at the 6th Dubai International Festival (Dec. 9 - 16) in the United Arab Emirates and the Signis Grand Prix (granted by the World Catholic Association for Communication) at the Mar del Plata International Film Festival in Argentina (Nov. 7-15).

At the above-mentioned Argentine film festival, “Mother” was praised “For being a complete work, which explores what a mother is capable of doing when she is determined to protect her son. The director questions it, and he does it from an ethical place, with no Manichaeism and dogmas. From a formal point of view, it proposes a great richness of expressive resources of many different genres.”

In January this year the film was further lauded as the best picture of 2009 by the Korea Film Reporters Association. Actress Kim Hye-ja, who played the title role of the mother, received the Best Actress award.

“Mother” is currently waiting for the results of the U.S. Green Globe Film Awards, where it was nominated in six categories, including the Best Foreign Language Film. Under the theme “Asia,” the film was further nominated for Best Director, Best Actress, Best International Film, Best International Drama and Best International Thriller.

The Green Globe Film Awards has other Korean films nominated in its Asian section, including director Park Chan-wook's “The Thirst” in Asia's drama, film and thriller sections. In Asia's comedy section there's “Good Morning President” and “Scandal Makers /Overspeed Scandal,” and in Asia's action section “Haeundae” and “Take Off.” Another Korean movie, “Private Eye,” was also added to the Asian thriller category.

Actors Song Gang-ho, Ha Jung-woo, Kim Myung-min and actresses Ha Ji-won and Kim Ok-bin were nominated for the Asian actors.

Director Park's 2003 film “Old Boy” was nominated for Best International Film of the Decade in Asia. The results will be announced at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles on Mar. 23.

Meanwhile, more awards may await “Mother” at the 34th Hong Kong International Film Festival (Mar. 21 – Apr. 6), where it was nominated in six categories: Best Director, Best Film, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenwriter and Best Editor.

For director Bong, “Mother” is his fourth film, following “Barking Dogs Never Bite” (2000), “Memories of Murder” (2003) and “The Host” (2006), all of which received rave reviews in the past. Mother is set to be released throughout Asia and Europe in the first half of this year.

Credits : Kim Hee-sung, Staff Writer

Source : Korea.net

Jung Woo-sung, Cha Seung-won cast for "IRIS" sequel

2010030316445262630_2.jpg

Korean actors Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won [Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actors Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won have been set to play the main characters in the sequel to last year's blockbuster TV series "Iris," according to drama producers Taewon Entertainment on Wednesday.

Like the original series, the upcoming show returning to the small screen with its new title "Athena" after the Greek god, will be about terrorist acts and threats against the Korean Peninsula and the whole world.

Jung will play the role of Lee Jung-woo, a special agent, who will fight to maintain peace on the Korean Peninsula while Cha is set to take on the role of Son-hyuk, the leader of a terrorist group who will accomplish any given task for his organization.

Production for "Athena" is scheduled to begin in June in Italy and Switzerland and continue onto six other different countries including Singapore and New Zealand. Taewon is aiming at showing the series during the latter half of this year.

Jung will be making his TV comeback for the first time in 15 years with this action piece after shooting dramas "Asphalt Man" (1994) and "1.5" (1996). He has also starred in a number of hit films including "Beat" and "The Good, the Bad, the Weird."

Cha, who made his debut in 1988 as a model, took up acting in 1997. He has appeared in a handful of dramas and movies on his resume including "Kick the Moon," "Jailbreaker," and "Secret."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

March 04, 2010

TALK OF THE TOWN

‘WE’ are singing for charity

03222324.jpg

Jang Dong-gun

Jang Dong-gun said a song he recorded with five other actors, titled “WE,” would soon be released as a CD single. Under the name Actors Choice, Jang, Kim Seung-woo, Hwang Jeong-min, Kong Hyeong-jin, Ji Jin-hee, and Lee Ha-na originally recorded the song, written by popular composer Joo Young-hoon, for an online game. They will donate the profits to charity.

The music video will be available for viewing tomorrow on various music sites and on the official Web page for the project.

Credits : Hannah Kim Contributing writer

Source : JoongAng Daily

03-03-2010

'Iris' Season 2 Cast Revealed

100303_p16_Iris.jpg

The lineup for the spin-off series of the hit drama ``IRIS'' has been revealed.

Titled ``ATHENA,'' the highly anticipated drama will feature some of Korea's top stars and another thrilling tale of terrorism, spies and secret agents, similar to the original but with a twist.

Jung Woo-sung, 36, who is returning to the small screen after 15 years, will appear as Lee Jeong-woo, a secret agent who gets tangled up in a conspiracy that threatens the safety of the Korean Peninsula. Taewon Entertainment, the production company, explained that the character holds all the characteristics and abilities that are found in Lee Hyun-jun, the protagonist of ``IRIS,'' with the charm and charisma of James Bond.

Lee's nemesis, Son Hyeok, the ruthless leader of the terrorist group ATHENA, will be played by model-turned-actor Cha Seung-won. The merciless role will hopefully bring out the charisma and brutality hidden beneath the 39-year-old Cha's comical and likable character he is famous for, according to Taewon Entertainment.

The two main actors have been revealed, but the company is yet to announce the heroine and other supporting roles. The attention is now on the heroine, which will take an important role in the drama, considering the title that translates to the ``goddess of wisdom and war.''

Filming will begin in June in Italy or Switzerland. The shooting will continue in six other countries, including Singapore and New Zealand, following the footsteps of ``IRIS,'' which was filmed around the world as well.

``ATHENA'' is scheduled to be aired late this year.

``IRIS'' aired last year with high expectations thanks to its star-studded cast, dramatic storyline and cinematic action scenes. Starring Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee, the soap took local dramas to a whole new level, garnering both male and female fans here and abroad with its distinctive story involving secret agents, South and North Korea, and betrayal.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

March 04, 2010

Political TV: a story of censorship and taboo

03223211.jpg

In 2007, a character on a historical drama turned to one of his political opponents and said, “Are you saying you have nothing to lose?” The line provoked a firestorm of comments.

The character was King Jeongjo, the 22nd ruler of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), and the show was “Hanseongbyeolgok” on KBS. And the line was controversial because it closely resembled a comment made by Roh Moo-hyun, who was president at the time.

Even a reference as oblique as that one in a period drama would have been forbidden under the military regimes that governed Korea from the 1960s to the ’80s.

Still, Korea has no realistic “political dramas” in the vein of American shows like “The West Wing,” which aired from 1996 to 2006. That show won a record nine Emmy awards in its first season, and was a huge ratings success, earning more than $200 million for NBC after production costs.

Strangely enough, Roh was a great fan of The West Wing, and he said he would watch DVDs of the show every weekend. After viewing several episodes, Roh reportedly said that the communications depicted between the president and his aides closely resembled his ideal for the Blue House. In fact, at one time, he tried to change the layout of his aides’ offices to resemble the West Wing of the White House more closely.

03223224.jpg

Korea may not have any present-day political dramas, but it does have period shows that deal with modern history. These got their start on the radio. In 1967, TBC - a now-defunct affiliate of the JoongAng Ilbo - aired “The 20 Years After Liberation,” which explored the events from the end of the Japanese occupation in 1945 to the May 16 coup d’etat by Park Chung Hee in 1961. The drama aired for 10 years, and dealt with sensitive issues such as the political controversy over the 1951 massacre of civilians in Geochang, South Gyeongsang, by a South Korean battalion during the Korean War, negotiations between the two Koreas, and the 1956 assassination attempt on Vice President Jang Myeon by a sniper. Its treatment of taboo subjects made it a huge hit.

In the 1970s, Korea saw its first television shows dealing with political issues, such as “Park Maria,” about the life of the titular character, who abused her husband Lee Gi-bung’s place as a protege of President Syngman Rhee before the couple finally committed suicide together when the April 19 Revolution collapsed the Rhee administration. The producers were determined to show the public the corrupting potential of power. But the Park Chung Hee military regime eventually forced the show to an early end for reasons that were never revealed.

From that point on, Korean political dramas - even if set in the past - faced endless obstacles.

Ko Suck-Man produced MBC’s TV show “The First Republic” in 1981 under the Chun Doo-hwan dictatorship. The drama, which also told the story of the Rhee administration, was actually very close to a documentary, according to Ko, with actors and actresses re-enacting episodes based on facts. He said, “These documentary-like dramas were Korea’s unique form of the political show,” made fictional to give themselves a claim on objectivity and to avoid controversy.

03223238.jpg

Still, even that often wasn’t enough. Ko recalled that after a certain episode aired, he was summoned by the National Intelligence Service and forced to resign from the producer’s position then and there.

Ko later served as the head of the state-run Korea Creative Content Agency between 2007 and 2009,

The second series in MBC’s “Republic” franchise, “The Second Republic,” started in 1989 under the Roh Tae-woo administration, and since then the network continued recounting modern Korean political history until the last series, “The Fifth Republic,” which told the story of the Chun Doo-hwan regime, aired in 2005.

In 1995, “The Fourth Republic,” set in the 1980s, included then-president Kim Young-sam as a character, a young opposition party leader. It was the first time that an incumbent president had been depicted on TV, and the producers reportedly had difficulty finding an actor brave enough to take on the role.

The final series, “The Fifth Republic,” provoked mixed reactions. Actor Lee Deok-hwa’s charismatic turn as President Chun invited complaints that the show was beautifying the dictator, whereas some former aides of Chun, including Hur Hwa-pyung and Chang Se-dong, accused MBC of distorting history.

Though Korean producers of dramas no longer face direct pressure from the administration, they still risk lawsuits if they choose to depict still-living politicians.

03223247.jpg

To avoid these difficulties, dramas that depict contemporary politics have begun to incorporate creative details. For example, “City Hall,” which aired on SBS last year, is based in a fictional city, Inju. The protagonist is a young, low-ranking female public servant who is elected mayor.

The crew insists that politics is only a small part of the show, and that City Hall is actually a romantic comedy. Still, the drama slyly commented on timely political issues. Citizens disparage the previous mayor, who spent public funding on his own projects but still won re-election. The protagonist’s comments, that politics are nothing but petty conflict between political parties, clearly reflect the opinion of much of the public.

Despite its sometimes cheesy narrative, City Hall set the standard for a new type of political drama. According to culture critic Lee Young-mi, “Previous political dramas were like documentaries, simply moved from the radio to the TV, but more and more ‘drama-like’ dramas are appearing.”

The nature of Korean historical dramas is also changing along with their political counterparts. As more contemporary shows break out of documentary and tell a fictional story, period series are beginning to incorporate contemporary political issues.

For instance, some have compared the conflicting relationship between Buyeo, an ancient Korean kingdom, and Han Dynasty China in MBC’s 2007 historical drama “Jumong” to the relationship between North Korea and the United States.

Still, critics say Korea lacks a drama gutsy enough to seriously take on contemporary issues in a modern setting. Why has no one stepped forward to try? Such a show would obviously require a realistic script written by someone familiar with politics.

Kim Han-gill, a writer and former lawmaker, believes, “The West Wing’s success may be credited to its subtle, believable details and interesting scripts. But as of yet, it is difficult to find a drama writer [in Korea] who possesses that capacity.

“On the other hand,” he continued, “one is not simply able to write such a script just by having political knowledge. The entire cast and crew and the writer must work as one team in order to highlight the dramatic facets while maintaining strong, realistic details. Funding is also an important factor.”

Ko said he also believes that Koreans need to adopt a cultural mindset that accepts TV shows for what they are - fiction.

The First Republic producer Ko has experienced both as a producer of a political drama and as an aide in the Blue House, so he offered his vision of what would have happened if The West Wing had been a Korean show about the presidential office in Seoul.

“Korean viewers would have become obsessed with matching fictional characters with certain currently active politicians,” he said, calling this tendency a great burden for the producers of political shows.

Despite these difficulties, two new political dramas are scheduled to be aired this year. “The President” will follow a man in his 50s who goes through a grueling campaign and eventually overcomes obstacles to become elected to Korea’s highest office.

The other one, “Daemul,” is already causing a sensation as it will feature as its protagonist the first female president of Korea. As a human rights lawyer, the character builds up a reputation for fighting social evil, which she rides to the Blue House.

However, the producers emphasized that Daemul, based on a comic book series of the same title, should not be regarded as an earnest political drama - seemingly worried about the audience tendencies Ko mentioned.

Still, the door is far more open to political dramas here than it ever was in the past, with no oppressive dictator to censor television broadcasts. And television production companies have reached the conclusion that the public now increasingly seeks realistic political dramas.

Former lawmaker Kim said that he has been approached to create a “real” political drama. If citizens can tune into such a show that depicts Seoul’s halls of power as they are, Kim mused, perhaps their complaints would grow more measured.

Credits : Hong Joo-hee, Lee Jeong-min [estyle@joongang.co.kr]

March 04, 2010

Silly, but never stupid

Bae Sam-ryong, the country's beloved babo, served as both a comfort to the Korean people and a challenge to authority in the tumultuous era of the 1960s to the '80s.

03222733.jpg

Korea's legendary fools: (from left) Bae Sam-ryong, Shim Hyong-rae and Lee Chang-hun

In Shakespeare's plays, the fool is often the wisest person on stage, challenging the notions acted out by other characters.

The same could be said of one of Korea's best known "fools," the comedian Bae Sam-ryong, who died Feb. 23. He was 84.

One of the most talked-about celebrities of the late '60s to the early '80s, Bae's fool, or babo in Korean, acted as a comfort to Korean society in that tumultuous era.

With his silly antics, Bae, like Charlie Chaplin, represented a person who was hopelessly incapable of adapting to a changing society, according to the linguist Choi Jeong-ho in his 2009 book "Remembering People."

The laughs Bae drew served as a challenge to authority at the time, Choi writes.

Bae, a member of the first generation of Korea's comedians, embraced this role.

"I always think about ways to portray a fool. In my act, I can make people [who lead difficult lives] feel better because they find comfort in me," said Bae in an interview with a local broadcaster a couple of years ago.

In his heyday, the jokester's Sunday gag show was a must-see, with his continuous trips and tumbles tickling audiences. A hot commodity for any network, Bae fielded offers - including several blank checks in 1973 - from several broadcasters.

"It was a great pleasure for me to gather with my neighbors in front of a black-and-white television set and watch Bae's acting. He was the best," said Park Jeong-seop, 57, a retiree who used to work at a publishing company. "I can't think of any other comedian who was better than he was."

President Lee Myung-bak counted himself among Bae's fans. On the day after the funnyman's death, the president sent a telegram of condolence, reading: "We lost a big star on the nation's comedy scene. Bae spiced up our lives, giving us laughter and energy."

Performing until the age of 76, Bae had a prolific career, although his name might be somewhat foreign to the younger generation.

In his final years, the humorist was bedridden after having collapsed in 2007. The day he died, the beloved jester was out of the spotlight, overshadowed by figure skater Kim Yu-na's turn at the Vancouver Winter Olympics and the public's changing taste in comedy.

"Korean comedy has evolved a lot. In the past, gag shows were like dramas. They had an introduction, plot turns and a conclusion. There, comedians played fools," said Park Joong-min, a chief producer for "Gag Concert," the country's longest-running comedy program, marking its 11th anniversary this year. "But no one really laughs at fools anymore."

However, Bae has left behind several fellow babo buddies. Through the '90s, Shim Hyong-rae played the runny-nosed Young-gu, who sported a bald spot. Children of the '80s considered Young-gu among their best friends. With the character, Shim was able to launch himself into a career in film.

After Young-gu, comedian Lee Chang-hun's character Maeng-gu stole the show. Impressions of Maeng-gu's shaky, nasal voice were widespread in the '90s. At the time, the two surpassed even today's idol groups such as Girls' Generation and 2PM in popularity.

Neither Shim nor Lee play fools anymore, though. Shim became a director and is working on his new film, "The Dumb Mafia," which will be released later this year in 3-D. Lee, on the other hand, worked in theater and is currently recovering from lung cancer surgery.

Credits : Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr]

Han Hyo-joo to visit Japan for drama promotion

2010030409005239670_1.jpg

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo [bH Entertainment]

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo will visit Japan this week to promote her drama "Shining Inheritance" which began airing in the country on Tuesday.

Her agency BH Entertainment explained Thursday that Han, who played the lead female character Go Eun-sung in the series, is scheduled to arrive in Japan on Friday with co-star Lee Seung-gi for a press conference, hold interviews with some 80 journalists and participate in an event with selected fans.

“Shining Inheritance” debuted in Japan with a viewership rating of 5.3 percent, a high figure for a program showing in the afternoon. The show will air daily and is set to finish its run in mid-April.

Han has appeared in several movies and dramas including "Spring Waltz" and "Iljimae" since making her debut in 2004 through MBC sitcom "Nonstop 5." She shot to superstardom however, after starring in "Shining Inheritance" last year which recorded ratings of over 47 percent.

She is currently in shooting for historical drama "Dong Yi" where she has been tapped to play the female lead role. The series will be produced by director Lee Byung-hoon who led Asian mega-hit drama "Jewel in the Palace."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

2010-03-04

Rain, Seven, Hyo-ri, and Boa to Return to Korea

Four popular Korean solo singers -- Rain, Seven, Hyo-ri, and Boa -- will come back to the Korean pop scene. Netizens call them the representative singers for Korean pop in the 2000s, and they are overjoyed at their return. Rain and Hyo-ri will come back after breaks of 18 months and 20 months, respectively. Seven and Boa, who have focused on the American music industry up to now, return to the Korean music scene after breaks of three years and five years, respectively. The return of these famous solo singers is drawing people’s attention because girls groups and new idol groups gained popularity last year.

7305_920_l.jpg

Four popular Korean solo singers -- Rain, Seven, Hyo-ri, and Boa -- will come back to the Korean pop scene. Netizens call them the representative singers for Korean pop in the 2000s, and they are overjoyed at their return. Rain and Hyo-ri will come back after breaks of 18 months and 20 months, respectively. Seven and Boa, who have focused on the American music industry up to now, return to the Korean music scene after breaks of three years and five years, respectively. The return of these famous solo singers is drawing people’s attention because girls groups and new idol groups gained popularity last year.

7305_921_l.jpg

In addition, Rain will release a mini album containing 4 or 5 songs in late April. He did not record a new album because he played the protagonist in his first Hollywood film, “Ninja Assassin,” and helped the group Mblaq debut in 2009. His agency, J Tune Entertainment, said, “We have already recorded some songs, but we are still in the process of collecting better songs from songwriters. We will release Rain’s regular album this October.”

7305_922_l.jpg

Seven is currently recording his new album and will release it in the first half of the year. He is recording songs written by songwriters from YG Entertainment, but he plans to continue the recording process until he is fully satisfied with the results.

7305_923_l.jpg

Boa plans to release her new album on August 25, the date on which she released her first album 10 years ago. Her agency, SM Entertainment, said they have been discussing the style of the new album because Boa released records in Japan and the U.S. since she released her fifth album “Girls on Top” in 2005.

Music industry officials are expecting that the four solo singers could set a new music trend in the Korean pop music scene because girl groups and idol groups have been continuously gaining popularity early this year as well as last year. A representative of an entertainment agency said, “It has not been easy for solo singers to succeed in the Korean pop industry. I am wondering if the four solo singers will succeed or not. If they succeed in the Korean pop industry at this time, entertainment agencies will pay attention to experienced and capable singers more than they do now."

In addition, an official at a performance agency said, “We don’t know about the music style of their new albums yet, but their music will provide the Korean pop music scene, which features electronic dance music, with diversity and change.” He added, “We highly anticipate the new performances of Rain, Boa, and Seven, who have performed on major stages in Asia. Furthermore, Eru, Sung Si-kyung, and Eric will leave the army from May to October, after Kangta was discharged from military last month. Their comebacks are also drawing people’s attention." Eru and Sung’s agency said, “They plan to make a comeback this year.”

Source : KBS GLOBAL

[iNTERVIEW] 

Actor Song Kang-ho - Part 1

2010030411252706221_1.jpg

Korean actor Song Kang-ho [photographed by Beck Una/10Asia]

Song Kang-ho interviewed and photographed by Beck Una

Song Kang-ho is not a funny person. He is an entertaining actor. Song Kang-ho is not a friendly person. He is a familiar actor. Song Kang-ho is not a diligent person. He is an actor who always works. Song Kang-ho is not a successful/proud person. But he is an extraordinary actor. As the third object of "Interview 100", actor Song Kang-ho stood waiting with a cigarette in his mouth and looking more relaxed and comfortable than ever. And rather than giving a fussy greeting or a friendly hug, he simply waved a moderately warm hello with his hand.

Beck Una (Beck): When I saw you at the Pusan International Film Festival last year, you said not to expect much from "Secret Reunion" and joked that it was just a movie where you rode on actor Gang Dong-won's popularity from film "WOOCHI". But "Reunion" turned out to be much more commercial.

Song Kang-ho (Song): I needed it to vent my spite from "Thirst". It was for the film! Hahahahaha!

Beck: You are usually very critical of your own films compared to other actors. What is your take on your film "Reunion"?

Song: Hey, how can you ask such a question to an actor whose movie is about to open in theaters? It's an extremely commercial film, so... that's good! And I think the audience will like it.. so that's good too! But to be honest, "Reunion" is not a film which delves deeply into its theme so as an actor, and on a very personal level, it is a bit disappointing too.

Beck: But you already knew that when you read the script and decided to do the film.

Song: Yeah. But you know.. people get crafty after achieving a certain goal. You wish the film had more of this, and get greedy about that.

Beck: So you're being one of the greedy "haves"!

Song: Ahahahaha! What I like about "Reunion" is.. that it's light. It doesn't try to get too serious, it is very light and breezy but says everything it needs to. I like that. Of course there are disappointing parts to it too but it's not anyone's fault. It's just how this movie is or aims to be. Director Jang Hoon must have had a lot to worry about as a director. When you look at the ending, in particular, reality is actually much more harsh than it is in the film. So he could have been more greedy and pushed forth his writer instincts but he ended up providing a flexible response.

Beck: Sometimes on set, there are veteran actors who express their views too aggressively to a new director. I heard the ending or plot gets changed too sometimes because of what the actor says.

Song:If I were the director, I would have chosen an ending for "Secret Reunion" in which the pain lasts longer. Then the movie would fail! And I would never be able to direct again! Ahahahaha. But I am an actor, and once an actor decides to take on a film, I don't think that actor has the right to have a say in the film's plot. That is the director's right and solely his. Of course, I could offer my opinion on minor matters being part of the staff for the film. I think director Jang Hoon did a clever job of balancing various requests while maintaining his ground.

2010030411252706221_2.jpg

Actors Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won in a scene from the film "Secret Reunion" [showbox]

Beck:In the case of "Reunion," the film focused entirely on the relationship between two men so that bond was particularly important. But Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won? It seemed that you two would have nothing in common and that it would be difficult to become close with each other. Wasn't Gang Dong-won a little picky or difficult to work with?

Song: That's what I thought of him too in the beginning, so I asked some actors who had worked with him in "WOOCHI" and surprisingly, they told me that he talks well and drinks a lot too. And he really does. He's not just a good-looking guy but is also a deep thinker. He is actually a bit of a straight arrow but he doesn't try to be what he isn't and rather likes revealing his sturdy side. And that is appealing too because it makes the other person feel comfortable. It was easy to work with him too.

Beck: Complimenting your co-stars gets a little old, doesn't it? (laugh) So sometimes one starts to wonder, does being close with the cast create a synergy effect? Or is there a better outcome when a certain level of tension is maintained?

Song:Luckily, I have never had to work with anyone I felt uncomfortable around. So I'm not sure but in my case, I think the outcome is better when I have a good relationship with my co-star. I sometimes come across articles where, you know, when two characters in a film are on bad terms, the actors themselves also don't eat together and don't even talk to each other, things like that. Isn't that a bit funny? You know.. it's not like they're in war, ahahahaha. In such cases, I think it's better to become friends and have fun. Of course, as his senior, I made the effort to make Dong-won feel comfortable on set but I didn't do anything past that. I don't intentionally approach him to become closer either.

Beck:In an interview for "WOOCHI", Gang Dong-won once said that there is no such thing as actors learning from each other. Personally I believe that, after a certain period of being a newcomer, professional actors cannot be judged simply by their filmography so I nodded at what he said. But as an actor who worked with him, weren't you a little disappointed at his attitude?

Song:That is the charm of Gang Dong-won! Even when we're drinking, other junior actors would say things like, 'Sir, please teach me about acting,' but not that boy. I really like that about him. The reason Dong-won said something like that was because he probably hated the monotonous, conventional thought that 'He is a big senior actor and I am young, so I should learn a lot from him.'

Editor in Chief : Beck Una one@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

[iNTERVIEW]

Actor Song Kang-ho - Part 2

Beck: What did you find likeable and entertaining about the script for "Reunion"?

Song: Ten years ago, I did the films "Swiri" and "Joint Security Area JSA" which are both about South Korea, North Korea and men. So, "Reunion" was similar to them in a way, a similar story, but the overall outline of the movie is completely different from the previous films. The film doesn't treat the South-North division as its theme but rather takes an incredibly soft, light and sophisticated approach to it. I thought that was closer to how the audience currently feels about the division and there was something lovely about a North Korean spy and a former South Korean intelligence service agent living together. I don't think I would have done the movie if it dealt seriously about the division at times like now.

Beck:But didn't you choose to do the film because of the character or the role you would get to take on?

Song:Yes. In the case of "Thirst", I said I would do it because I liked the film but really, I didn't know what to do after that. It wasn't any ordinary movie. How was I supposed to play this part in a movie which was unlike any other movie in the world? Then a month goes by and I was told we were going to hold a ritual wishing good luck for the movie. I saw about a hundred staff members and executives there and I said to myself, oh my, all of these people are counting on me and working on the film, I am in big trouble. I became terrified all of a sudden. But what I'm saying is not that I choose films without giving them thought but that I worry about my character after I choose a film. I don't have time to calculate how my character will balance out between my previous and future roles, or the genre or image I had from previous films. I choose to do the film if it is good and worry about the acting I can do in the movie. An actor cannot and should not calculate anything more than that. I know people could misunderstand me, believing I took on a commercial film like "Reunion" because I did an art film like "Thirst" before, but it's not like that.

2010030415385777180_1.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho in a scene from the film "Antarctic Journal" [showbox]

Beck:But the order of shooting "Reunion" after "Thirst" is sort of like the pattern we saw in how you filmed "The Show Must Go On" after "The Host". Like after working with Bong Joon-ho and Park Chan-wook, you appeared in the second films of the most promising new filmmakers in Chungmuro who made impressive directorial debuts, like Han Jae-rim of "Rules of Dating" and Jang Hoon of "Rough Cut". So I thought you were an actor who chooses his films with too much precision and calculation.

Song:Ah, that really is a misunderstanding. See, I was actually preparing to shoot "Night Fog" by director Lee Hyun-seung after "Thirst". But that movie got a bit delayed and I was offered "Reunion" in the meantime, so that's why I did it. And it would been so miserable to shoot "Night Fog" after "Thirst"! The title is "Night Fog!" And I play the boss of a mob! Ahahaha. But I would have done "Night Fog" had it been ready right away. And I was supposed to work on "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" after "The Host", but it took a long time [to start filming "The Weird"] so I did "The Show Must Go On" while I was waiting. And then I was offered "Secret Sunshine", which I couldn't refuse. Of course, ["The Weird"] director Kim Ji-woon's facial expression changed a little, ahahaha. People who don't know me could say, oh, this guy is clever in choosing his films, but I never chose any of my films with calculation.

Beck: And misunderstanding like 'Song Kang-ho does breather movies'?

Song:Yes. Of course, any actor can do that if he makes up his mind to. He can do a small film after shooting a big movie, do a commercial one after filming an art film. But it's never been like that for me. In fact.. I pretty much just do everything I'm given?

Beck:So you want to say that you were really lucky that all your films up to now have balanced out your acting career like this. (laugh)

Song:Aw, come on. Ahahahahahaha.

Beck:Personally, I was very impressed by your acting in "Secret Sunshine". I was in awe watching the film, wondering if anyone else could eagerly be in the background like that, behind Jeon Do-yeon. I also thought that kind of acting might be more difficult than one that is played out in the front.

Song:All films are pretty much the same. I just do what the director tells me to do. Ahahahaha.

2010030415385777180_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho [photographed by Beck Una/10Asia]

Beck:Come on. (laugh) I think there's always been a curiosity about your acting method. Of course, I know that it cannot be explained in a logical way.

Song:I gave two lectures at a theater class and I get asked a lot of questions on how to act well or how to become a good actor. But there is no right answer so how can you explain that logically in words. Even the students know that it's a dumb question but they still ask. But being someone who has had more experience on set, the only advice I could give is not think too much. Some actors underline their lines on their scripts, trying to figure out what kind of person their character is and imagine stuff that is not written in the script. Like where he was born and how he grew up. But don't worry about things like that. Thinking too much will take the life out of your acting. You just have to accept your character the way he is.

Beck:But it's not like you can instantly rid your mind of all those thoughts because you think you should keep things simple.

Song:No, that's exactly why it's difficult. You won't be able to sometimes and that's when you'll use your instincts. That instinct includes using your previous experience and honestly.. you cannot deny your innate talent, ahahahaha. Even on set, don't worry about how to make yourself seem like you are acting well but just follow what's on the script and go with the flow... I think that's what makes a better actor. In the DVD commentary for "Sunshine", director Lee Chang-dong said "acting is about becoming simple-minded" and I think that's the right answer. Acting is about delivering a certain emotion but its essence won't be delivered if there are too many unnecessary elements attached to it. So what I'm saying is that actors have to become as simple-minded as possible and I think training to do this is much more important than trying to study different characters. To offer my acting tips, I would say don't think too much, keep your acting as simple as you can.

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

[iNTERVIEW]

Actor Song Kang-ho - Part 3

2010030411214763798_2.jpg

Korean actor Song Kang-ho [photographed by Beck Una/10Asia]

Beck: That's actually what I wanted to ask you. Do you think it's possible to become an artist, or an actor, by pure effort and no natural talent?

Song: The concept behind the word 'effort' is a bit vague. There is no such thing as putting in an effort to act well. Effort could be another word for your determination to work hard but not the secret to good acting. If you are shooting an action scene, you can make effort at improving on your physique and working better with your co-stars. And I put in an effort to play the recorder in "Thirst." But I don't think one can act based solely on effort. 90 percent of it comes from natural talent and 10 percent from experience. The experience that you gain from countless acting roles.

Beck:You've already been an actor for very long -- ten years since the public recognized you as 'actor Song Kang-ho' and even much longer counting your career in theater. Don't you go through a slump or have less fun having to repeat the same job over and over again?

Song:I do get a little tired of the repetitive work I have to do leading up to the opening of a movie -- the post-production after filming, promotion, interviews, stage greetings -- which I have done for over ten years. But it's the nature of this profession so I can't help it. The only counterbalance to that is to find a new story, one which will stimulate my instincts as an actor. I think that's the only source of vitality in this repetitive life.

Beck:A film like "Thirst" for example?

Song:Yes. "Thirst" was recently the most stimulating film. It provided a stimulant, like a new challenge as an artist. I think an actor has no choice but to endlessly pursue such stimulants.

Beck:So fortunately, you have continuously shot various films with many different directors and actors but didn't have any huge slumps you remember of?

Song:Yes... um... I haven't had a slump compared to others. Even when my movies weren't big hits, they didn't cause any huge losses either. Um... but if I had to pick a period, I would say 2005. That is when the film "Antarctic Journal" flopped on the box office and I was in conflict with director Kang Woo-seok. In addition, I got caught drunk-driving at the end of the year and made the nine o'clock news on all three public networks. That year, a bad thing happened every quarter and I was thirty-nine at the time, so I even started to wonder if this was the so-called "bad luck of the nines". So after I finished shooting "The Host," I went to Canada with my family, our first trip ever, and didn't do anything for about a month. But by slump, if you mean things not working out professionally, then fortunately I don't think I've been in instances where the film was difficult to shoot or it didn't work out.

Beck:How do you see yourself as the aging actor Song Kang-ho?

Song:There isn't a certain definition or image I want to show to the public. I would rather age very quietly. I'm older now and senior actor, so I should gradually step back from the spotlight.

Beck:Do you think that you have to step back?

Song:Actually, I don't think 'stepping back' would be an appropriate expression, but I think it is in the law of nature for people's position to change. I'm older so I'll find and play the characters that fit my age. That's how it is for Choi Min-sik, for [sul] Kyung-gu and myself. Someday, the younger actors will naturally take over the spotlight and, in time, those juniors will have to yield that place to their juniors too. I think it's right to just accept things the way they are.

Beck: In my book, I previously wrote that Song Kang-ho is "a long-distance runner who is running toward the freezing point" and I still believe that about you. You were at your boiling point when you first appeared as Jo-pil in "No. 3" but have gotten colder since, an actor who was the most instinctive yet grows increasingly intellectual.

Song:I don't think it's in my nature to be warm and cozy and have a happy-ending sentimentality. I am the type of person who is attracted more to colder and cooler things. I don't think my acting has ever been loud or heated. Even with films like "No. 3" and "Memories of Murder", I personally believe that I acted very rationally and coldly in them.

Beck:There was a time when you were booked for films for three to four years in a row, as if you were running a relay race without taking a break. I think you must feel a bit more comfortable watching films now.

Song:I don't think I'm truly free in that respect even now. "Night Fog" starts shooting in April or May, so I guess that is it for this year. I can't reveal my plans for next year, ahahaha, but there is another one I'll be working on and there might be another one in between.

Beck:... Don't you ever rest?

Song:Hey, I am on a break. Doing an interview like this is a break for me.

Beck:You still don't have anything special going on in your life except acting. (laugh) Don't you want to learn something new?

Song:No, I've never had a desire to learn. I am very lazy so I can't be bothered.

Beck:What a relief that you have a profession. (laugh) What would you have done if you hadn't become an actor?

Song:If I had some other job other than acting... I would have just probably kept doing that, without thinking about anything else.

Beck: What other profession do you think you would have had?

Song: If I had not become an actor.. um.. um.. a manager of an actor? Hahahahaha.

Jung, Cha to face off in 'Iris' sequel

201003040009.jpg

Hallyu heartthrob Jung Woo-sung and screen tough guy Cha Seung-won are set to spearhead the cast of the second installment of last year's KBS' hit TV series "Iris."

The two actors will face off against one another with Jung as a secret service field operative hot on the heels of a terrorist cell led by Cha.

According to the series' production company Taewon Entertainment, the spin-off titled "Athena" will be larger in scope and feature more action and heart-stopping plot twists, and will be filmed in exotic locations around Italy, Switzerland, Singapore, and New Zealand.

The upcoming series is tentatively set to air in time for fall, and marks movie star Jung's return to the small screen 15 years after his breakthrough role in "Asphalt Sanai."

Cha, who has portrayed villainous roles recently on the big screen, will continue his mean streak as the leader of a terrorist sect who trains an army of deadly operatives ready to unleash chaos throughout the peninsula and the world.

Cameras are set to roll in June.

Credits : (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

March 04, 2010

A lucrative merger for a Korean power couple

04151611.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Ko So-young

With rumors continuing to swirl around a pending engagement announcement, sources close to the pair say that actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Ko So-young will tie the knot at Hotel Shilla in central Seoul on May 2.

As two of Korea’s top stars for nearly 20 years, there’s also some speculation around the small fortune this pending merger will generate. Jang, who is known as “walking small business,” is thought to be worth more than 10 billion won ($8.7 million). Ko herself is worth at least just as much, and according to the newspaper Ilgan Sports, it is estimated the combined sum of their assets is going to reach nearly 30 billion won. With their marriage, their value is only expected to grow.

Jang and Ko, both 37 years old, each debuted in 1992. Acting together in the movie “Love Wind, Love Song” in 1999, they became and stayed good friends. But about two years ago, during respective breaks from work, they became more than just friends. They finally outed themselves as a couple last November.

Song Seung-hun becomes voluntary tax official

2010030414293107109_2.jpg

Actor Song Seung-hun [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Song Seung-hun speaks after being appointed a one-day honorary volunteer official at the Banpo District Tax Office in Seoul, South Korea on March 4, 2010 in time with the 44th Taxpayers Day.

2010030414180209134_1.jpg

Actor Song Seung-hun [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Song Seung-hun poses after being appointed a one-day honorary volunteer official at the Banpo District Tax Office in Seoul, South Korea on March 4, 2010 in time with the 44th Taxpayers Day.

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr

Ji Sung to star in new TV series "Kim Su-ro"

2010030508511079825_2.jpg

Korean actor Ji Sung [Namoo Actors]

Korean actor Ji Sung has been set to star in a 20 billion won blockbuster TV series titled "Kim Su-ro", according to his agency Namoo Actors.

Namoo announced Thursday that the actor has been cast to play the lead role in the upcoming MBC drama, playing the historic figure Kim Su-ro who founded and ruled the state of Geumgwan Gaya in the 5th century.

The traditional epic drama, which will also star noted Korean actors Yoo Oh-sung and Bae Jong-ok, is scheduled to go into shoot on location in China starting this month.

Ji Sung, whose real name is Kwak Tae-gun, debuted in 1999 in the popular campus drama "Kaist" (SBS).

He has since appeared in numerous television dramas, including "All In" (SBS, 2003), "Save the Last Dance for Me" (SBS, 2004) and "Swallow the Sun" (SBS, 2009).

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Kim Nam-gil to join army in June after "Bad Guy"

2010030415070262877_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil [star J Entertainment]

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil will enter the army in June to fulfill the country's mandatory military service, according to his agency Star J Entertainment on Thursday.

Star J explained in a press release that the actor will wrap up shooting for TV series "Bad Guy" before joining the military sometime after late June and undergo training as a public service worker.

"Guy", a 20-episode SBS drama which will premiere on May 26, is set to air until the first week of August.

The actor, who will play the lead role in the Wednesday and Thursday series, recently returned to Korea after finishing shooting on location in Japan last month and is set to start filming again after mid-March.

Kim, 28, became a household name last year playing the role of Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok".

He is scheduled to hold a fan meeting at Seoul's Olympic Park Olympic Hall on March 7, which will be attended by some 4,000 fans.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Park Shin-hye, Song Joong-ki to promote Jeonju film fest

2010030414115964537_1.jpg

Actress Park Shin-hye and actor Song Joong-ki [Ava Entertertainment/SidusHQ]

Korean actors Park Shin-hye and Song Joong-ki have been named publicity ambassadors for the 17th Jeonju International Film Festival (JIFF).

"We chose 'Minamishineyo' heroine Park and rookie actor Song as the ambassadors for the film festival," a representative from JIFF stated on Wednesday. "These young and promising actors are the future of the movie industry and they fit the image and the spirit of this event."

The Jeonju International Film Festival, to be held from April 29 to May 7, will showcase alternative and independent films in the city of Jeonju. The festival will also feature short films and various cultural events will be held.

"I will watch as many films as possible during my time at the film festival so that I may become a better actress," Park was quoted as saying.

Song said, "I am very happy to have been asked to be the publicity ambassador for this popular film event. I will try my best to fulfill my duties even though I have a busy schedule."

Park made her debut in 1994 and has starred in numerous dramas and movies including "Stairway to Heaven," "Tree of Heaven," and "Goong S." She is also a familiar face in television commercials and music videos.

Song began his career in 2008 in TV series "Love Racing." The 23-year-old actor appeared in the movie "Frozen Flower" and in TV series "Precious Sons," "Trifle" and "Will it Snow for Christmas?"

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Kim Hye-soo Mum on Yu Hae-jin

Top actress Kim Hye-soo, who admitted to dating fellow actor Yu Hae-jin two months ago, declined to answer reporters' questions about their relationship during an event to promote a cookware brand, Friday.

It is the second time that she has stayed silent on their relationship at a public event. In an autograph session on Jan. 8, she also kept her mouth closed to reporters' questions.

The actress took part in a promotional event to launch kitchenware maker Fissler Korea at Lotte Hotel in downtown Seoul Friday morning.

She skipped a question and answer session with reporters, which was originally scheduled by the organizer.

Reporters were blocked from getting close to her by bodyguards.

``I think she did not make comments on the relationship as the event was not a personal one,'' an official with her agency told reporters.

Yu has also made no comments on their relationship.

Kim's agency made the announcement of their romantic relationship through a press release on Jan. 4, days after a sports daily reported that they have been a couple for two years.

Kim, 40, and Yu, 41, have acted together in movies, including ``Tazza: The High Rollers'' (2006) and ``Kick the Moon'' (2001).

Credits : Cho Jae-hyon, Staff Reporter (chojh@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

Archived