Guest CindyW88

12-01-2009

Director Im Kwon-taek Brings 101st Film

091201_p14_director.jpg

Veteran director Im Kwon-taek, center, will bring his 101st film, "Dalbit Gireo

Oligi'' (Scooping Up the Moonlight), starring actors Kang Soo-yeon, left, and

Park Joong-hoon. The movie, which is about the art of making "hanji'' (Korean

traditional paper), will go into shooting next month. / Korea Times File

Master director Im Kwon-taek may have 100 films under his belt, but he considers his upcoming project, ``Dalbit Gireo Oligi'' (Scooping Up the Moonlight), his ``debut piece.''

``I hope this will be called my first ― rather than 101st ― film, a debut piece that breaks away from the framework of the 100 Im Kwon-taek-marked films I've made in the past,'' the 75-year-old cineaste told a crowded press room in Seoul, Tuesday, ahead of the shooting that begins next month.

He even ``broke up'' with his old working partner, cinematographer Jung Il-sung, in order to venture into the world of digital cinema for the first time. Two years ago at the opening reception of the 1st Cinema Digital Seoul film festival (CinDi), he had said it was a genre that he ``must learn.''

``I just decided to run headlong into it,'' he said, ``I wanted to contradict expectations and work with something new and contemporary, and I hope to project myself into the medium while learning its advantages.'' He will work with Hwang Gi-seok, a young cinematographer who is experienced in digital films. ``But he's young, so I'm worried about whether he will understand my jokes.''

Some things, however, will remain strictly ``Im Kwon-taek.''

A cast of bona fide actors will present a theme that is at once quintessentially Korean and universally human: actors Kang Soo-yeon and Park Joong-hoon come together for a story about people who dedicate their lives to the art of making ``hanji,'' or traditional Korean paper.

``As you know I've captured onscreen aspects of Korean life, history and culture. I was determined to continue that for the rest of my life, to present things like `pansori' (Korean opera) in films with both universal and uniquely Korean sensibilities,'' said the director.

Min Byung-lock, festival director of the Jeonju International Film Festival (JIFF), suggested a movie about hanji over a glass over soju, and Im agreed without a moment's hesitation. JIFF is known for producing movies, including an annual digital omnibus project.

``But the world of hanji is so extensive and profound that I had a lot of trouble fathoming it, and felt I got tricked into doing this,'' he said about toiling over the scenario for the past two years. ``The process was painful but it was a greatly rewarding learning experience.''

A Korean proverb says that silk lasts 500 years while hanji endures for 1,000. The poetically symbolic title refers to the process of making the paper, which includes submerging ingredients in moonlit water.

The Cannes Film Festival has already expressed interest in the film, said Min. In 2002, Im won the Best Director award at the event for ``Chihwaseon.''

Park stars as a middling civil servant who applies for a hanji-related project in hopes of a promotion but becomes obsessed with the beauty of hanji. Kang plays the role of a documentary filmmaker who meets him while working on a story about the traditional art.

Like the film's modern digital medium, the story itself will be modern ― ``It's from a modern perspective, and is about something very human, like director Im's other films, rather than being just about something traditional,'' said Park.

The script, however, has yet to be completed and ``probably won't be until the shooting is over,'' as has been the case with his other projects, chuckled Im.

The project is also special in that Im is reuniting after 20 years with Kang, who won the Best Actress award at the Venice Film Festival for ``Sibaji'' (The Surrogate Mother, 1987). He drew laughter as he continued to refer to the now middle-aged actress as ``little Miss.''

``I actually felt a lot of pressure. I worked with the director twice and both films garnered much success and praise and really mapped out my life as an actress. But I will try my best, as if it's my debut piece,'' said Kang.

Park, on the other hand, was an actor Im had always wanted to work with ― ``I was afraid I wouldn't be able to meet him in my lifetime,'' said the director. Park and Kang, both 43, are coming together for the first time in some 20 years, since ``Springtime of Mimi and Cheol-su'' (1987).

Shooting for the 2-billion-won project begins in January 2010, as ``the icy water during wintertime is considered to be the best for making hanji'' explained Im. If all goes according to plan the movie will premiere as the opening film for JIFF in April, said JIFF organizers, and possibly be introduced at Cannes in May.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12-01-2009

Lee at Cheong Wa Dae

091201_am_lee.jpg

Lee Byung-hun

Unlike the uninvited couple that slipped into the state dinner U.S. President Barack Obama hosted for Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week, actor Lee Byung-hun Tuesday attended a dinner welcoming Hungarian President Laszlo Solyom at the invitation of Cheong Wa Dae.

According to the presidential office, Lee was included on the invitation list because he starred in "Iris," a prime-time Korean drama that is now drawing a large number of viewers, in which he plays a spy. Part of the soap opera was shot in Budapest, the capital of the Eastern European country, and the production team received assistance from the Hungarian government during the shooting period.

Actress Kim Tae-hee, who plays the role of a profiler on the show, was invited to the dinner but was unable to attend due to her schedule.

Credits : skim@koreatimes.co.kr

12-01-2009

New Drama to Bring Warmth This Christmas

The Christmas period has many seasonal expectations, one of them being snow. Following the anticipation, both for the television screen and winter, SBS will start airing its new drama ``Will It Snow for Christmas?'' Dec. 2.

The storyline of the new soap is the usual boy-meets-girl scenario, but boasts a lovely couple and some of the best makers of dramas in the business.

The handsome Cha Kang-jin, played by actor Ko Soo, leads a tough life, knowing that the only way for him to escape the dark shadows of his childhood is to become the best at everything he does, from fighting to studying. The quiet Kang-jin meets Han Ji-wan, played by Han Ye-seul, and discovers that the world is actually a warm, caring place. When Ji-wan leaves her hometown and Kang-jin after her brother's death from an accident, the heartbroken Kang-jin realizes how much he loved her and embarks on a lonely journey to win her back.

A few years pass, and the two characters meet by chance, only to find themselves already leading new lives without each other.

Ko has made the headlines, as it is the first time in four years and since serving in the military that the star has returned to the small screen.

``I felt both nervous and excited during the first shoot. I watched the episodes and I realized that something was different. I have lost weight, for starters, but there was something different about my presence. I hope the viewers will feel that throughout the drama,'' Ko said during a press conference in southern Seoul last week.

Ko's return will have his fans watching the show, but another reason for the anticipation is the makers: writer Lee Kyung-hee and producer Choi Mun-seok.

Lee has garnered fans with her work in a number of hit dramas, including ``Sang-doo, Let's Go to School,'' ``I'm Sorry, I Love You'' and ``Thank You.'' Choi became famous for his work on ``Something Happened in Bali,'' inventing his own style in portraying young and reckless, passionate, love.

``I always wanted to work with Lee and I've tried to persuade her to work together for a long time. We didn't have a specific storyline or character, but we had one idea in common. We wanted to work on a love story, and we wanted to focus on the people,'' Choi said.

According to the production company iHQ, the soap was sold to Japanese DVD firm Tsutaya before the first airing.

The bubbly Han will be playing the happy and headstrong character Ji-wan, who she said was not too different from her own personality.

``She is such a lovable character. I'm actually benefiting from her because she's so lively. It makes me feel happy too,'' Han said.

Han has been portraying various roles since her debut, from the helpless girl who lost her memory in ``Couple or Trouble'' (2006, MBC), the cute and attractive character in ``Miss Gold Digger'' (2007) to the aggressive gambler in the drama ``Tazza'' (2008, SBS), and thanks to the challenge, she has matured into a versatile actress.

``Will it Snow for Christmas'' has stiff competition as the most popular series in the Wednesday and Thursday slot is ``Iris'' on KBS. When asked if she felt any pressure, Han smiled and shrugged.

``I would be lying if I said we are not at all concerned, but our show is in a totally different genre, so we decided to just continue making high quality drama. That's what counts in the end, right?'' she said.

When asked if he really thought it would snow this Christmas, Ko smiled and nodded his head.

``Our drama is warm enough to melt all your worries and take the chills away. And personally, yes, I think it's going to snow,'' he said.

``Will It Snow for Christmas'' starts Dec. 2 and will run every Wednesday and Thursday at 9:55 p.m. on SBS. Japanese fans can watch the drama in Japan next April through KNTV.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Is SBS' new melodrama classic or stale?

200912010025.jpg

Cast of "Will it snow for Christmas." From left: Song Jong-ho, Sun Woo-sun, Han Ye-seul and Ko Soo [sBS]

Is the classic melodrama passe? Viewers will make their judgment call when "Will it Snow for Christmas?" airs on SBS tonight.

In terms of genre, SBS' new Wednesday and Thursday night series could not have picked a more appropriate scriptwriter or director.

Remember 2004 sob-fest "I'm Sorry, I Love You," featuring a memorably coiffed So Ji-sub, or "Memories of Bali," which helped catapult Zo In-sung to stardom and ended with a dramatic triple death?

Their creators have teamed up to take another stab at the classic genre.

"Memories of Bali" director Choi Moon-suk is orchestrating the tale of rekindled childhood love with "I'm Sorry, I Love You" scriptwriter Lee Gyung-hee.

Lee mastered the art of tugging audience heartstrings with "Sangdu, Let's go to School" in 2003, a poignant romance starring Rain, before scripting "I'm Sorry, I Love You" a year later.

Lee's second Rain drama, "A Love to Kill," was equally melodramatic but failed to muster high ratings. She bounced back with "Thank You," arguably her finest work to date, in 2007.

Putting pen to paper to flesh out the tale of two childhood sweethearts, Lee faces the challenge of living up to her own impressive body of work.

Her cast seems to think she will.

"I saw the synopsis for the first two episodes and fell in love with it," said "Will It Snow For Christmas?" actress Sun Woo-sun at a press conference last week.

"I cried when I read the script," said co-star Song Jong-ho.

Both Sun and Song will be starring in the new series as lovers. Sun, who played a wealthy estranged housewife in the hit series "My Wife is a Superwoman," is well-suited for the role of the affluent daughter who pines after a man engaged to another woman.

Tackling the role of the other woman, "Couple or Trouble" actress Han Ye-seul plays the heroine of the series, a woman revisited by her childhood sweetheart -- a reunion that forces her to choose between the two men in her life.

Returning to the small screen after a four-year hiatus, "Piano" heartthrob Ko Soo plays the childhood sweetheart; a character who, Ko Soo says, is more than just an earnest hero.

"This character is hurt by love and tries to overcome that pain," he explained.

It will be interesting to see how the actor, who is currently appearing on the big screen in "White Night," has changed over the years.

"I am nervous and excited," he said. "How will I appear, after so long?"

When asked about the challenges he faces, he answered: "My biggest concern is how I will interpret the remaining scenes."

Co-star Han also discussed her challenges: "When reading the script, when I cannot understand it emotionally, only intellectually, then acting becomes my biggest assignment."

"Before I received the script, when I heard who the director and scriptwriter were, I thought they made a fantastic team," she said.

Despite a strong cast and director-scriptwriter duo, the series will have a hard time beating KBS' blockbuster "IRIS."

According to news reports, the hit drama scored nationwide viewer ratings of 32.5 percent last Thursday, while SBS predecessor "He's Beautiful!" managed to scrape by with a lackluster 11.9 percent.

"Will It Snow For Christmas?" airs tonight on SBS at 9:55 p.m.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

2009/12/01

Film to be made on former President Kim Dae-jung

SEOUL, Dec. 1 (Yonhap) -- A movie will be made on the life of the late South Korean President Kim Dae-jung who died in August after leading a successful life as a fighter against military rule and the country's sole Nobel Peace Prize winner, producers of the upcoming film said Tuesday.

The movie, with an estimated budget of 8 billion won (US$6.8 million), will "focus more on Kim Dae-jung as an ordinary man and father, rather than Kim Dae-jung as a politician," Wesupply, the producer of the film said.

The production firm is headed by Kim Pil-yong, a former aide to the ex-president.

The production cost will be collected through public donations, Wesupply said. The director and the leading actor have yet to be selected.

Kim, elected as president in 1997, died on Aug. 18, leaving a legacy as a champion of human rights who laid the groundwork for a decade of liberal rule that focused on eradicating the vestiges of authoritarianism and stabilizing democracy.

Throughout his life, Kim stood firmly before the international community on issues of human rights and rapprochement with North Korea. He believed in engaging the isolated state rather than pressuring it, an approach that sometimes ran counter to the United States.

For such effort, Kim became Korea's first and so far the only Nobel Peace Prize winner in 2000. His so-called "sunshine" police of engaging North Korea was also supported by his immediate successor Roh Moo-hyun but abandoned by the incumbent government of President Lee Myung-bak.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald

Rain makes first visit to Indonesia

2009120211245918348_2.jpg

Singer and actor Rain waves during a photo session of a press conference held at

Indonesia's Ritz-Carlton Jakarta on December 1, 2009. [J.Tune Entertainment]

Asian pop sensation Rain visited Indonesia for the first time yesterday, meeting with hundreds of reporters ahead of holding his first concert in the country, his agency said on Wednesday.

He held a press conference at the Ritz-Carlton Jakarta on Tuesday which was attended by some 200 reporters from 100 media companies, J.Tune Entertainment said in a press release.

The 27-year-old singer spoke of his upcoming concert "Legend of Rainism", taking place as part of his Asia tour, to be held at Jakarta's JITEC on December 3. He was also asked about his plans for his acting career in Hollywood and whether he is looking into taking on any new roles in TV series.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, has been one of the most successful celebrities in the entertainment industry since his debut in 2002.

His singing career has gained him massive popularity throughout Asia and he also appeared in several movies and TV series -- most notably dramas "Full House" and "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School." He recently starred in a Wachowski Brothers production "Ninja Assassin", which opened worldwide last week.

2009120211245918348_3.jpg

Singer and actor Rain attends a press conference held at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Jakarta on

December 1, 2009. [J.Tune Entertainment]

Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Daniel Henney's "Three Rivers" cancelled in U.S.

2009120210364864990_1.jpg

Korean-American actor Daniel Henney in a promo shot for "Three Rivers" [CBS]

Was the warmth of the drama not enough to overcome its low ratings? The cold reality of television viewership ratings was harsh enough to cut short the show starring attractive actors Alex O'Loughlin and Daniel Henney. With critics calling the show dull and viewers not tuning in to watch, CBS finally announced last weekend that it was cancelling the show "Three Rivers". According to an overseas media outlet, a source claimed that the show has been put on halt, but with no clear prospects as to whether it will air again in the future. CBS's announcement virtually means a cancellation of the show.

"Three Rivers", which premiered on October 14, is a show about the lives of organ donors at a Pennsylvania transplant hospital that drew much publicity with the casting of Korean-American actor Daniel Henney as a pancreas transplant surgeon. But the show received little attention after the pilot episode aired and had seen its ratings decline ever since. Of the 13 episodes that have already been produced so far, only eight have aired on TV. CBS has asked the show's producers to finish production but is making no guarantees about airing the remaining episodes. The current time slot for "Three Rivers" will be replaced by re-runs of other successful shows including the popular spin-off series "NCIS: L.A.", "Cold Case" and "Criminal Minds".

Reporter : Yoon Hee-Seong nine@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

12-02-2009

Jang Jin-young Cited

The late actress Jang Jin-young received a special prize posthumously during the 30th Blue Dragon Film Awards held at the KBS Hall in Yeouido, Seoul, Wednesday evening.

Jang, who died on Sept. 1, had a special relationship with the awards, winning the best actress prize in 2001 with ``Sorum'' and again in 2003 with ``Singles.''

Organizers said, ``A special prize has been arranged to pay respect to the late actress. Jang's father and an official with her former agency received the award instead of her.''

Jang died after a year-long battle with stomach cancer.

12-02-2009

Stars Warming Up Winter With Charities

091202_p15_1.jpg

Actor Cha In-pyo has formed a

musical group, the "Compassion

Band," comprised of more than

120 members to help poor

children around the world.

While Hollywood's Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are busy saving the world through charity donations, Korea's famous stars are also opening their wallets and doling out their talents to help the needy.

Actor Cha In-pyo and his wife, actress Shin Ae-ra, have been supporting underprivileged children around the world for the past several years though Compassion International, a child support orgainzation. They have even formed a musical group, the ``Compassion Band,'' comprised of more than 120 members.

With the help of fellow stars including singer Hwang Bo, celebrity couple Jung Hye-young and Sean, and singer DJ Koo, the two recently released an album titled ``Love Bridge.''

``We made this album with hopes that more people will learn and join us at Compassion. We hope people will enjoy the album and further hold hands with children (who need their help),'' Cha said during the showcase for the album last month.

All proceeds will be donated to underprivileged children.

Another event filled with love will be held at KBS Hall, Dec. 5. The Joy Concert, in its tenth year, is organized by Joy Place, an organization comprised of mothers who have disabled children or family members. The event's proceeds will be donated to welfare centers for the disabled.

091202_p15_2.jpg

Singer Yoo Yeol will host the event, as he has for the past 10 years, with musicians including guitarist Lee Byeong-woo, pianist Yiruma and singers Kim Gwang-seok and Seo Young-eun. Tickets for the concert cost from 10,000 won to 30,000 won. Call (031) 977-9055.

Conductor Seo Hee-tai and his wife, soprano Koh Jin-young, will also appear at a benefit event called ``Love Virus II'' on Dec. 10. The couple has held the concert for the past five years to support underprivileged families and children suffering from cancer. The event will be held at Yeongsan Art Hall in Yeouido. Tickets cost 30,000 won. Call (02) 591-0308.

While some stars appear at concerts, others do their part by appearing in front of the camera. Top actors including Go So-young, Han Ji-min and Jeon Do-yeon have participated in photo shoots for fashion magazines such as ELLE, in hopes to help those who are in need.

091202_p15_3.jpg

ELLE magazine is holding its annual ``Share Happiness'' campaign aimed at offering donations to organizations such as Compassion and Good Neighbors. More than 90 companies and celebrities have participated in the campaign in order to collect more contributions for their neighbors this year. The campaign donated a total of 2 billion won last year. The photo shoots can be seen in the December issue.

Meanwhile, television personality Hyun Young became the first celebrity to become a member of the donor club ``Honor Society.'' There are a total of 38 members in the club ― 26 of whom have refused to reveal themselves to the public. Members are granted membership by making donations of more than 1 billion won. The 33-year-old star has donated 1 billion won over the past two years.

Hong Myung-bo, a soccer star and current manager of the Korean Olympic team, also shared his compassion by becoming a goodwill ambassador for the Salvation Army.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

12-02-2009

Actor Choi Min-su's Family Overcomes Flu

091202_p04_choi.jpg

June Elizabeth Kang, third from left, and actor Choi Min-su, second from left,

pose with their two sons at a restaurant at the Park Hyatt Hotel Seoul,October.

It is the most recent picture of Kang’s family./ Courtesy of June Elizabeth Kang

Actor Choi Min-su and his family members have overcome influenza A (H1N1), the pandemic that is hitting the world.

In an exclusive interview with The Korea Times, Wednesday, June Elizabeth Kang, Choi's wife and director of communication at the Seoul Foreign School, said that Choi tested positive for influenza A last week and had to stay home with his family for a week. Choi was forced to delay the shooting schedule of his ongoing mini-series for SBS, "Father's Home."

"Although it was a tough time, it was the power of family that helped us overcome the illness," Kang said.

She said that she was speaking out about her family's ordeal in hopes of helping others to have the courage to beat the flu.

The illness first hit Choi's older son, Christian, who had a fever of 40 degrees Celsius. A day before, his younger son, Benjamin, received a vaccination. Christian was taken to the hospital and tested positive.

Kang immediately took the precaution of not going to work as her school's regulations stipulate, and acted as a caregiver to the family. She and her second son didn't end up getting the flu, but, nonetheless, all four members of her family took Tamiflu.

Kang said she experienced some of symptoms of a cold.

"While both my husband and I seemed to be experiencing similar conditions, my husband became instantly concerned about a TV special he is working on with SBS.

"My husband felt strongly he needed to protect the TV staff," she said. That was why Choi informed the TV crew of his situation. However, she said, at one point, the two bantered about which of the two had better resistance to the flu.

She took Tamiflu at the recommendation of her doctor, who told her she might contract the flu from being in such close proximity to patients.

"We were together at home," she said, adding that the time also served as a chance to catch up with each other, considering the busy schedules they both keep. "It helped us pull together and share quality time, bonding, cooking and watching movies," she said. She said that she was sorry for the plight facing those stricken with H1N1.

"It is a serious illness, no mistake about it," she said. "But in the process of taking care of my husband and a child who were both sick with it, I realized that it is important to remain positive," she said, adding that the best way to beat the flu was keeping in high spirits.

Credits : Kang Shin-who, Staff Reporter (kswho@koreatimes.co.kr)

[10LINE] Actor Hyun Bin

2009120218122594116_1.jpg

Clockwise from top center, Park Joong-hoon, Han Ye-seul, Kim Sun-ah, Jang Dong-gun

and Song Hye-kyo.[10Asia]

What gets on the nerves of ordinary men?

1. When they see a handsome guy who is cast as an actor on street.

2. When this guy soon becomes a top star.

3. When people say that he is actually a very good actor.

4. When this guy dates actress Song Hye-kyo, and not someone who just looks like her.

So who is this guy? Let’s find out.

Park Joong-hoon

A movie star who had recently run his own talkshow. He is Hyun Bin's senior by 16 years at the same college and belonged to the same agency when Hyun Bin first debuted as an actor. He dreamed of becoming an actor when his senior in high school recommended the career for him. His parents, who disagreed with him said, “The best school for acting is Choong-ang University, as far as we know. We would approve of you if you get accepted to that school.” Since then, he studied crazily and finally got accepted to the school. So, it was evident for Hyun that Park, his senior of at the college and a top star in the same agency, was someone high up in the ladder that he could dare not get close to. When the two first met, Park told Hyun Bin that he does not have the look of an actor in his eyes. When the two met again later, Park said, “You’re eyes have changed,” making Hyun Bin extremely happy. Park commented on Hyun as being "full of passion but doesn’t reveal it. Unlike other actors of his age who overdo it, Hyun is aware of how to be polite and cautious.”

Guiyeoni

A novelist who received the most criticism in the history of Korean literature. Hyun auditioned for movies based on Guiyeoni’s internet novels “He was cool” and “Romance of Their Own” during the earlier days of his career. At the audition for “He was cool,” Hyun was the first candidate and gained a lot of attention for his looks from female audiences present at the time. Director Kim Tae-kyun of “Romance of Their Own,” considered him as a possible candidate till the very last moment but was not able to cast him due to his lack of experience. Hyun Bin, whose acting career started with an official at an entertainment agency running up to him as saw Hyun Bin passing by on a motorcycle in high school, sure seems to have the looks that fit perfectly with the characters of Guiyeoni’s novels.

Kim Jin-chul

Director of Hyun Bin’s debut film “Shower” in 2002. Unfortunately, due to lack of funding, this movie has not yet been released. In this movie, it was told that Hyun played an innocent country boy who moved to Seoul to make money but ended up losing an eye from selling his organs. During his early years as an actor, he also played Lee Se-eun’s stalker in KBS TV series “Bodyguard.”

Han Ye-seul

Actress from MBC sitcom “Nonstop 4.” She almost starred in MBC TV series “My Name is Kim Sam-Soon” alongside Hyun Bin. The sitcom is Hyun Bin’s official debut work and is filled with stories of conflict between two men and a woman, Hyun Bin, Andy and Han. Thanks to “Nonstop 4,” Hyun learned to do comedy and melodrama which help him gain public attention. It was in this sitcom that writer In Jung-ok of MBC TV series “Ireland,” saw him and was attracted to Hyun Bin for his looks and his way of speech. She eventually recommended him to the director.

Lee Na-young

A beautiful actress who is known to make almost every Korean look big-headed because she has such a small face. She starred in “Ireland” with Hyun Bin. At the time, Hyun Bin said “Lee is the perfect lady in real life, but when acting, she is charismatic and powerful,” and thanked her for helping him with his acting. “Ireland” provided a chance to upgrade himself as a good-looking startup actor to an actor with great acting skills and presence. The trait of Hyun Bin’s character bearing through any circumstance, was carried on into TV series “The World That They Live In” (KBS2) and “Friend, Our Legend.” (MBC) He was quoted saying that he wanted to play the role of a bodyguard of “Ireland” again when he is in his 40s.

Kim Sun-ah

Co-star of MBC TV series “My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon”. Hyun Bin, who hadn't been able to go to bed without memorizing the script entirely, learned how to act more freely by working with Kim, who changed her lines depending on the circumstances and director Kim Yoon-chul who doesn’t rely on scripts when shooting. “Sam-Soon” brought him not only great fame but also confidence in his acting. He successfully showed his strength, the ability to show the character’s dark inner world when playing the role of an heir. At the time, director Kim commented on Hyun Bin with phrases like “it is hard to believe that he was born in 1982.” Actress Kim was quoted as saying, “His acting is very stable compared to his short acting career. He seems like he’s heading toward his own goal in a steady pace.”

Jang Dong-gun

A legendary actor who is said to be so handsome in person that his face shines. As an actor of the same agency, Hyun Bin and Jang are players of PlayBoys, a baseball team composed of celebrities. Since Hyun Bin regularly sees Jang, he probably describes himself as an actor with “decent looks.” Jang was surprised to see Hyun Bin throw a baseball properly since he had started from not being able to play at all. Besides baseball, he also enjoys other sports ranging from swimming to soccer. Other hobbies of his are card magic and assembling plastic models like robots. Jang was the one who encouraged Hyun Bin to star in “Friends, Our Legend.” Also, before shooting the TV series, he watched the “Friends,” the film that the drama is based on, to analyze Jang’s acting and frequently asked for Jang’s advice.

Kim Gab-soo

Actor who appeared alongside Hyun Bin in KBS TV series “The World That They Live In.” When Hyun Bin asked Kim, “What do I do when I am confused with the acting that I learned at school and the real acting?” his answer was a simple phrase. “They are all the same.”

Kim Min-joon

Appeared alongside Hyun Bin in both “Ireland” and “Friends, Our Legend”. Since “Ireland” was a drama with a complicated plot and “Friends, Our Legend” could not ride itself of the impact that the original cast of the original film had left behind, acquaintances of Hyun Bin urged him not to take on the two TV series. But Hyun decided to take on both, insisting that “There is nobody who can satisfy everything 100 percent. I can't ignore what my acquaintances have been telling me, but there is no need to satisfy everyone’s tastes.” Of course, it is hard to guess what kind of impact that “Friends, Our Legend” would bring him, but he surely did prove himself capable of playing other characters aside from an heir. He likes to accumulate his experience with different characters and wants to enter his 30s quickly, stating that he wants more experience since he believes he is "still just too young". This is how this actor who began his career as a ‘handsome startup’ is slowly maturing.

Song Hye-kyo

An actress that is a hot topic along with Hyun Bin. Song and Hyun started dating after co-starring in “The World That They Live In.” Hyun Bin has once said that his ideal type of woman is “one who understands my work.” And he has once said that, “I heard that the externalities that make women confident are clothes, their ability to cook and the husband. Of course I like women who dress well and cook well but the man who has the ability to make such a woman shine must be a great husband." So, it seems like that he has now met his ideal woman. Of course, his acting career and dating life are two different issues, but meeting Song probably is another one of the peaks in Hyun Bin's current life. Hyun Bin, who debuted with handsome looks, gradually developed into an actor amongst other top stars, is capable of handling a whole film or drama and met a girlfriend who can completely understand his job. Like this, the handsome actor is growing, while getting on many men’s nerves.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

Editor: Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

'Actresses' gets by on high-profile cast

200912020050.jpg

"The Actresses" is a small-budget film that has a highly predictable storyline. Much of the dialogue contains outdated cliches and empty flourishes befitting the meaningless talk on a cheap soap opera of an unpopular television network.

None of this, however, matters. After all, the movie is not about conventional filmmaking techniques but about the unprecedented feat of director E J-yong who has somehow persuaded six prominent actresses to sign on for the project.

The six cast members -- Youn Yuh-jung, Lee Mi-suk, Ko Hyun-jung, Choi Ji-woo, Kim Min-hee and Kim Ok-vin -- play themselves in the film, pretending to squeeze a Vogue magazine photo shoot on Christmas Eve into their busy schedules.

The underlying conflict centers on the self-respect and self-doubt of the actresses themselves. Youn, a veteran actress, is mindful about the possibility that she might not have been the preferred choice for the photo shoot.

Lee Mi-suk, who wants to hide her emotional vulnerability about her divorce, is yet to find a new identity about her life as a famous actress in Korea -- a status that she complains involves too many restrictions and prejudices.

Ko, one of the most hotly sought-after actresses in recent months, has a complex about the size of her face. She also reveals her hostility, though half-jokingly and half-playfully, toward her supposed rival, Choi, who shows up for the photo shoot venue with a Japanese massage therapist and some ardent Ji-woo "Hime" fans from Japan.

Kim Min-hee, a model-turned-actress, and Kim Ok-vin, the heroine of Park Chan-wook's "Thirst," are younger than the other cast members, but are not without their concerns and doubts.

The storyline goes through a slight bump when pricey accessories fail to come to the photo studio in time, leaving plenty of time for the six actresses to drink together and talk about themselves in a way that discloses their feelings about the challenges facing Korean actresses.

But the real strength of the film lies in the entertaining interaction between the six actresses. A host of punchy and humorous one-liners save the film's otherwise monotonous structure.

E, who built his fame with "Untold Scandal," did not plan the movie down to the small details. Instead, he left open the possibility of improvisation and on-the-spot changes, perhaps recognizing the talent of the six high-profile actresses, and his decision seems to have worked.

The actresses often pitch in with improvised lines that highlight their true feelings. For instance, Youn's satirical and self-deprecating tone hit it big when she says she's "guarding the traditional market," referring to Choi's dominance in the Japanese market and Song Hye-gyo's popularity in the Chinese market.

Although there might be some complaints or grumbles about why and how the six "represent" Korean cinema and television, it remains true that getting them together for the same project, whether it's a film or a photo shoot, is no small task, and it is also undeniable that there are plenty of viewers willing to watch the film only because they want all the six on the same silver screen.

"The Actresses" became the third of E's films invited to the Berlin International Film Festival's Panorama section.

The movie will hit the local theaters Dec. 10.

Credits : Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

December 02, 2009

Ko Soo back in Christmas drama

02182205.jpg

Actor Ko Soo

Actor Ko Soo returns to the small screen tonight after four years in the new SBS melodrama, “Will It Snow For Christmas?” Ko plays the role of Cha Kang-jin, a man who was raised by an impoverished single mother.

Actress Han Ye-seul joins him as Han Ji-wan, Kang-jin’s childhood friend with whom he had lost contact because of an unfortunate incident.

The producer of the hit SBS drama “Memories of Bali,” Choi Mun-seok, and writer Lee Kyeong-hee (“I’m Sorry, I Love You”) teamed up to create the seasonal story, which will premiere tonight at 9:55 p.m..

Source : JoongAng Daily

December 02, 2009

Talk of the town

Rain takes his act to Indonesia

02223258.jpg

Rain is in the forecast today for Indonesia as the "Legend of Rainism" tour presented by the top Korean singer sweeps into the Jakarta International Event & Convention Centre.

The world tour is Rain's third following "Rainy Day" (2005-06) and "Rain's Coming" (2006-07).

It began on Aug. 28 in Japan and continued with performances in Korea in October and in Hong Kong in November.

The Hong Kong show attracted over 10,000 people, including top Asian actors Chow Yun-fat and Jackie Chan. It was held at the Asia-World Expo, the largest exhibition venue in Hong Kong.

As an indication of Rain's popularity in Jakarta, the cheapest tickets sold for 750,000 rupiahs ($80) which is about $15 below the average monthly salary in Indonesia, the same price as tickets for recent concerts in that country by international pop stars Beyonce and Linkin Park.

Rain's next destination after Indonesia will be the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas on Dec. 24 and 25.

December 03, 2009

Talk of the town

‘Iris’ will be back for a second season, sans Lee Byung-hun

02223413.jpg

Iris

The KBS action/espionage drama “Iris” will begin a new mission with a second season next year.

Taewon Entertainment, the drama’s producer, announced on Monday that they will begin shooting the next season in May 2010.

The TV series recently took over five lanes of the road in front of the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts in central Seoul to film gunfighting scenes, among others, for upcoming episodes.

Over 1,000 fans gathered in the drizzling rain during the film shoot, which lasted from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., to get a glimpse at lead actors Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee, who were scheduled to be filming that day.

It was the first time in the history of Gwanghwamun Plaza that traffic was blocked for any kind of filming.

Fans will have to catch Lee while they can. The star recently announced that he will not join the cast in the second season because he has committed to the sequel to the Hollywood action movie “G.I. Joe.”

The company also said that the next season of the drama will be shot in various locations around the world including Italy, New Zealand, Japan and China.

Credits : Hannah Kim, Contributing writer

Dec. 03, 2009

'Mother' Sweeps Blue Dragon Awards

Best film in the 30th Blue Dragon Film Awards on Wednesday went to "Mother" directed by Bong Joon-ho. The ceremony was held at the KBS Hall in Seoul.

"Mother" tells the story of a mother whose son is wrongly indicted for murder and who struggles to hunt down the real killer. The film was invited to this year's Cannes International Film Festival for the Un Certain Regard section.

2009120300572_0.jpg

The winners of most popular star awards and presenters in this year's Blue Dragon Film

Awards. From left, Ha Ji-won, Ha Jung-woo, Lee Beom-soo, Lee Byung-hun,

Choi Kang-hee, and Kim Hye-soo

Best director went to Kim Yong-hwa, who directed "Take Off," and best actor to Kim Myung-min for his part in "Closer to Heaven." Ha Ji-won, who co-starred in "Closer to Heaven," was the winner of best actress award. Jin Goo of "Mother" won best supporting actor and Kim Hae-sook of "Thirst" best supporting actress.

2009120300295_0.jpg

Actor Kim Myung-min and actress Ha Ji-won pose after winning the Best

Actor and Actress Awards at the 30th Blue Dragon Film Awards at KBS

Hall in Seoul on Wednesday.

Yoon Je-kyoon, who directed "Haeundae," received the award for the film that drew the biggest audience. "I would like to say thank you to every one of those 11.53 million people who watched my film," he said in accepting the prize.

Kang Hyoung-Chul, director of "Scandal Makers," won best rookie director, and best new actor award went to Yang Ik-june, who wrote, directed, and starred in his debut film "Breathless." Best rookie actress was shared by Kim Kko-bbi of "Breathless" and Park Bo-young of "Scandal Makers."

Jang Jin-young, a two-time winner of the best actress award who died of stomach cancer in September at the age of 37, was given a posthumous special award.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

2009-12-03

'Mother' Wins Best Film at Blue Dragon Awards

091203_cu_01.jpg

Director Bong Joon-ho’s “Mother” has garnered three awards, including best film, at the 30th Blue Dragon Film Awards held at KBS in Seoul on Wednesday.

“Mother” ended up taking home the awards for best film, best actor and best lighting.

Kim Young-min and Ha Ji-won won the best actor and actress awards for their performances in the film “Closer to Heaven.”

Director Kim Yong-hwa won the best director award for his film “Take Off,” after winning the same award at another major film festival, the Daejong Film Awards.

Jin Ku of “Mother” won the best supporting actor award and Kim Hae-sook of “Thirst” won the award for best supporting actress.

The best new actor award went to Yang Ik-jun of "Breathless" and the best new actress award went to Park Bo-yeong of "Scandal Makers."

Reported by KBS WORLD Radio

Contact the KBS News: englishweb@kbs.co.kr

Source : KBS Global

Park Eun-hye to make comeback on TV

2009120309551363763_2.jpg

Korean actress Park Eun-hye [Forestar Entertainment]

Korean actress Park Eun-hye is set to make a comeback to the small screen in a new morning drama, according to her agency on Thursday.

Returning to television after a two-year hiatus, the actress will be play the lead role in MBC's morning soap "Pink Lipstick", Forestar Entertainment said in a press release.

She will play the character of Yoo Ga-eun, who plots revenge after getting betrayed by her husband and friend.

"She thought a lot about choosing the next character as she had been away from the screen for some time," an official at Forestar was quoted as saying. "She chose to play the femme fatal role in "Pink Lipstick" because she had never played such part before and wanted to show viewers a different side to her."

Park, who attended the first reading sessions yesterday with her co-stars, said about the role, "My character, who was a good-hearted person in the beginning, gradually turns into an evil person and the story will unfold convincingly."

The actress rose to fame throughout Asia in 2003 with a supporting role in hit MBC TV series "Jewel in the Palace", which starred Hallyu star Lee Young-ae.

"Lipstick" is scheduled to start airing on January 4.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Dec. 02, 2009

Hyun Young Admitted to Prestigious Charitable Society

2009120200445_0.jpg

Hyun Young

Supermodel-turned-TV personality Hyun Young has become an official member of the Honor Society, the group of major donors to the Community Chest of Korea (CCK).

Founded in December 2007, the Honor Society grants membership to those who have donated or committed to donate W100 million or more to the CCK (US$1=W1,161).

The first entertainer among the society's 12 official members, Hyun Young has been volunteering in disaster areas since she was named a CCK goodwill ambassador in March 2006. She donated W50 million each in 2007 and 2008 to help the poor elderly who live alone.

Other official members include SKC chairman Choi Shin-won and national youth football team coach Hong Myung-bo. The group has 26 unofficial members as well.

"A total of 38 people are qualified for membership, including businessmen, entertainers and athletes. But some choose to remain anonymous, making the number of official members 12," a CCK spokesperson said.

CCK encourages people to donate openly to set a good example, but some prefer to keep their philanthropy private for various reasons. Last year it emerged that actress Moon Geun-young was the first unofficial member. Moon is also known to be the group's top individual donor, giving some W850 million, although CCK will not confirm this.

In only two years since its launch the Honor Society has collected a total of W2.58 billion in donations. Interest has been growing among Korean society leaders but its size still falls far short of the Tocqueville Society of the U.S., on which the group is modeled.

The Tocqueville Society was launched by the United Way of America with 20 members in 1984. It now has about 20,000 donors, including Bill Gates, who are said to give some W500 billion annually.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

2009/12/03

Korea's 'Vegetarian' goes to Sundance

SEOUL, Dec. 3 (Yonhap) -- "Vegetarian," a feature debut by South Korean director Lim Woo-seong, will be competing at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival among 13 other films, the event's Web site said Thursday.

The movie was premiered during Korea's Pusan International Film Festival's Panorama section in October, earning critical approval as an "aesthetic and highbrow" film "full of irony and metaphor."

20091203155108_bodyfile.jpg

Based on Korean writer Han Gang's short story "Mongolian Spot," "Vegetarian" has been selected to compete at the U.S. film fest's World Cinema Narrative Competition among 1,022 entries.

Other competing movies include "Peepli Live (India)," "The Man Next Door (Argentina)" and "Grown Up Movie Star (Canada)."

"Vegetarian" features a young artist who begins to feel a desire to physically possess his sister-in-law, who grows gaunt after she stops eating meat over a strange dream.

Three Korean movies, including "The Charming Girl," have been selected for the section in the past.

The 26th Sundance Film Festival will run for 10 days from Jan. 21 in Utah.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News

Archived