Universities/Colleges in the Philippines

Guest driftwood023

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cpopbaby19

are there any colleges in the PI where you can dorm? or is it all commute?

Usually commute. but you also can dorm. like in ateneo, they have resident students (is that what you call it? T_T, basically they live inside the campus..) but you have to apply for it (and it's case to case basis.).. i think UP has it too.. im not really sure.. but maybe some UP students here in soompi can confirm this.. I'm studying in miriam and in Katipunan.. there are numerous dormitories for students around that area (UP, Miriam, Ateneo, Psba and such). :)

Guest eiyu_chronicler

^ There is a dormitory in UP exclusively for foreign exchange students. well, not really exclusively for them as most of the UP varsity players stay there as well. It's called the International Center and is just one jeep ride from all the major buildings in the campus.

Guest neinsager

i think this thread has to be merged with the universities/colleges in the philippines thread. http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66811

education here is cheap compared to what you will pay for in the US, and probably most other places. it varies a lot though between private and public universities. my university (ateneo de manila u, its private) charges around 50k php ($1k) per sem, or around 100k per year. and that's already one of the most expensive universities in the country. it's worth it, i swear, hehe. probably the most expensive university in the philippines is the university of asia and the pacific, located at ortigas, one of the poshest areas in metro manila. i dont know exactly how much it costs to go there but i think it's around 170k per year.

i will be going to UP law next school year though. it's a public university so its much much cheaper. even if they raised tuition fees from 6-7k pero sem to 16k per sem, its not burdensome. the bad thing about going to public universities is that the security is terrible. student protests occur too often. and it's not uncommon to hear stories of UP students getting killed in frat wars. also, the facilities are rather poorly maintained and some of the buildings are dilapidated. the good thing about it though, and it applies at least to UP, aside from the low cost, is that they have a huge campus, good reputation as the most selective university, a great faculty, a looooong roster of notable alumni, etc. and it's the nearest law school to my home, hehe. i must admit though, ive never attended a public school before. my parents' general rule is that as long as we can afford it, they will send me to private schools. but i guess the reasons mentioned above are good enough for me to try it out.

Guest cpopbaby19

^yes. it's cheaper.. i thought ateneo was around 70K(in php...) per sem? o___o;

anyways.. i pay around 35K for my tuition per sem (i think it's not too expensive.. it's average..) so that's around 70-71K per year + other school stuff needed. ^^;

someone told me that UA&P is around 70K per sem. (she used to go there...)

but aside from UP.. (as a public uni) others charge wayyy lower than that. in PUP i heard its around 500-700php per sem + other school stuff. so it's only around $20.

gahh, im thankful that the tuition here isn't SO expensive like what they have abroad~ (specifically US and Korea @.@)

Guest neinsager

^ cpopbaby19, exagge ka naman kung 70k per sem. di ako mayaman ah, hehe. pang-med school na yun eh.

onga pala, most universities have scholarship programs. in ateneo, around 30% of students have scholarships. im not sure if they offer scholaships to foreign students though.

Guest iheartjeonghoon

^^ hey hey! i graduated from the Ateneo de Davao University! hehehe. in my school before, i spend at least 40, 000 pesos per 1 semester. that's about 600-700 US dollars per semester. so about 1,500 US dollars per year. :D

Guest iheartjeonghoon

i graduated from Ateneo de Davao University with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing. hehehe. i was one of the pioneering batch of the university. :D

Guest cpopbaby19

^it is.. but it's PERFECTLY FINE. i tell you. :) there's nothing wrong with it. my korean friend is already 22 y/o and she's my batch (first year.) ^^; besides, people aren't gonna judge you with your age.. lol. ^^;

anyway, im sorry i didn't get back to you last time i messaged you on msn! T__T; my brother played and he didn't tell me you messaged. LOL

Guest neinsager

wow nice to find fellow ateneans here. hi iheartjeonghoon! hehe. when did you graduate? are you taking the board exams this july?

ako sa march pa ga-graduate. argh, i want to move on na. now na, lol.

EDIT: most people are 17/18 when they enter college here. but there are people who start late. i have friends who were in their 20's when they entered college. it didn't really matter.

Guest yanshimkim

^ It's not strange... I have a classmate who was 22. And another one who was 23. Actually, they fit right in. They didn't make us feel like they were older than us, they acted like they were our age. :P

Archived