Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest lychee_poo

Well, theyre usually around 40 USD. If they're ridiculously cheap then theyre probably fake. Check the sellers reputation, if theyve ever sold any before etc.

$40????? I bought mine for only $23 CDN. They're like $19 in the US.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest iPhets

^seriously? are you sure =S

my dad bought it from the shu uemura counter in msia for about that price in malaysian currency! i think.

EDIT: oh replied to wrong page == but $19 in the US sounds about right.

Guest atlanteay

I admit i was too lazy to read through the thread for a possible answer but..

1. Whenever i put foundation on, the areas around my nose and the overall face looks very dry/cakey and i barely put that much on. I don't use primer so i'm wondering if that's like the "key" to a smooth finish later on since so many of the make up tutorials use them among other preparation products that i honestly don't know about?

2. Can i simply put primer on and look nice/natural? because i hate foundation >< The feeling of having a mask on my face irritates me and feels unnatural especially during the summer. I heard tinted moisturizers are good but i've yet to find them at local drugstores.

3. I use concealers most of the time to cover my acne scars and such but it just doesn't cover them completely. Like i can still see faint dark spots after applying so what can i do to prevent that? It's not really "concealing" if it's just a colored layer over the blemishes.

thanks ^^ i'm such a noob at make up

Guest lychee_poo

1. Whenever i put foundation on, the areas around my nose and the overall face looks very dry/cakey and i barely put that much on. I don't use primer so i'm wondering if that's like the "key" to a smooth finish later on since so many of the make up tutorials use them among other preparation products that i honestly don't know about?

2. Can i simply put primer on and look nice/natural? because i hate foundation >< The feeling of having a mask on my face irritates me and feels unnatural especially during the summer. I heard tinted moisturizers are good but i've yet to find them at local drugstores.

3. I use concealers most of the time to cover my acne scars and such but it just doesn't cover them completely. Like i can still see faint dark spots after applying so what can i do to prevent that? It's not really "concealing" if it's just a colored layer over the blemishes.

1. You're probably using the wrong foundation for you. Try a different one that is more suitable to your skin. Is your skin oily, dry, combination etc?

2.Yes you can just wear a primer, they smooth out the look of your skin and makes your pores look invisible. But you have to find the right one for your skin again. Where are you from? There are always tinted moisturizers in drugstores from my experiences.

3.Find a more opaque concealer. Try looking at reviews on makeupalley.com of different concealers. Look for someone with similar skin like you (etc. oily) and see if they liked that concealer, it's easier to find a concealer that fits your needs that way.

Guest simpli_me

what's a good primer that you guys have tried? I'm also looking into getting foundation without SPF for going out at night time?

Guest Deluge

^ I just use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as a primer. From what I've researched, it performs just as good as high brand primers. The main/basic ingredient in primers is dimethicone anyway. I use it. I like it very much. My face feels really soft and silky. I can't tell you have it really compares to other primers but you can always google that. Many have written reviews about it. I hope that helps!

Also, I like Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation. There's no spf but it has good coverage and the finish is really nice. It's supposed to last 16hrs?

Guest soniadai<3ftisland

Whenever I use eyeliner (Maybelline's to be specific) if I use it two-three days in a row and take it off, my eyes become really red and itchy and blotchy and everything.

I've tried other eyeliners and they all seem to be like that...

Is there any sensitive eyeliner? (If there is such a thing...)

its possible that you're allergic to the formula : ) clinique products are kind of on the higher end but their products are hypoallergenic so it would be good for people with more sensitive eyes or skin :)

1. try exfoliating! a cheap and good exfoliator brand would be st.ives. i don't use a primer, and when i first started applying foundation i had the same problem, but i learned to exfoliate and it helped wonders ! remember to moisturize as well!

2. i also use tinted moisturizers, they're good for light coverage and in the summer. and honestly, i don't feel it at all! i use one that i bought from a drugstore and the brand is physicians formula, its pretty good : ) i got it for 10 bucks haha. primer is used to make the staying power of the foundation longer and yes, it does also smooth out your skin but it doesn't do much for coverage! your best bet is to conceal your troubled areas and use tinted moisturizer ! foundation for special occasions !

3. the point of the concealer is not to completely make the blemish dissapear, but to make it less noticable. so still being able to see a dark spot is common. perhaps use a cream concealer which will give you better coverage, and make sure you use a finishing powder over it so that it stays on longer :)

Guest atlanteay

1. try exfoliating! a cheap and good exfoliator brand would be st.ives. i don't use a primer, and when i first started applying foundation i had the same problem, but i learned to exfoliate and it helped wonders ! remember to moisturize as well!

2. i also use tinted moisturizers, they're good for light coverage and in the summer. and honestly, i don't feel it at all! i use one that i bought from a drugstore and the brand is physicians formula, its pretty good : ) i got it for 10 bucks haha. primer is used to make the staying power of the foundation longer and yes, it does also smooth out your skin but it doesn't do much for coverage! your best bet is to conceal your troubled areas and use tinted moisturizer ! foundation for special occasions !

3. the point of the concealer is not to completely make the blemish dissapear, but to make it less noticable. so still being able to see a dark spot is common. perhaps use a cream concealer which will give you better coverage, and make sure you use a finishing powder over it so that it stays on longer :)

1. haha i use st. ives too! blackhead/acne scrub. Feel so nice afterwards but yeah.. lol. I was looking on here:

http://www.jungsaemmool.com/ and a lot of the women have pretty average/bad skin pre-makeup. Then after applying a few products(can't read korean), their skin becomes flawless.

2. ahh physicians formula O_O i must've missed it. I'll look more carefully next time i go to a drugstore xD

3. what's a finishing powder? bah..i need to make a huge shopping list for these things.

Guest <3 Kim

Hi there,

i'm looking to buy a Shu Uemura eye curler from ebay because it's really cheapp compared to their online website? I'm not sure if the ebay ones are real or fake. But has anyone bought one from ebay before???

Thanks.

I bought mine on ebay and I'm pretty sure it's authentic. It works very well. I bought mine from a seller who is known to selling authentic cosmetics so I did research before buying. Mine was around $30AUD which isn't too bad, it's about $50AUD at the counter. I heard in Japan they're like $12 so I'm going to stock up when I go next year :P

Guest tinatran_

Round Eyes: This eye shape if often large, and open-looking, and many women like to use makeup to elongate the eye. Use darker liner to slightly extend beyond the eyelid at the outer corners to give this illusion. Use a medium shade of  eye shadow on the eyelid (up to the crease) and extend the shade slightly both slightly up toward the brow bone and slightly down toward the lower lid to create a more elongated eye appearance.

http://makeup.loveto...e_Shapes_Makeup

thank you! i'll try this sometime this weekend.

another question.. which should go first, concealer then foundation or foundation then concealer? i have a semi-formal family get-together in a few days and i just want to cover up my dark eye circles and a couple of acne scars/discolorations. =)

Guest to.dance

Hello Soompiers :)

I noticed something weird happening the past few days. I only ever put eyeliner on my top lashline(eyelid), never the bottom lashline. But after a couple hours, the eyeline somehow ends up smudging to below my bottom lashline, giving me panda eyes :(

I do put concealer as a base on my eyelid & it does stop the eyeliner from smudging onto my eyelid.

Any suggestions on why it's smudging like that? And how to stop it?

Should I just put concealer under my eyes as well?

Guest pure.sophiestication

3. what's a finishing powder? bah..i need to make a huge shopping list for these things.

finishing powder basically sets your makeup in place to help it last longer and stay in place (especially if your'e using cream-based products). also absorbs any excess oil or shine on your face

its possible that you're allergic to the formula : ) clinique products are kind of on the higher end but their products are hypoallergenic so it would be good for people with more sensitive eyes or skin :)

Oohhh Thank you so much :D.

But the thing is, my sister has used clinique for everything for a year and I have never seen her touch Clinique eyeliners... and we both have pretty sensitive eyes.

Can anyone tell me more about Bobbi Brown's eyeliners? I've seen good reviews over that product.

That and Mac's fluidline

Guest happy.life

another question.. which should go first, concealer then foundation or foundation then concealer? i have a semi-formal family get-together in a few days and i just want to cover up my dark eye circles and a couple of acne scars/discolorations. =)

It depends, many people use different methods. I actually prefer using my foundation first because then I can let it cover what it can and then conceal afterwards. I end up using much less concealer if I had done it the other way around. But I would suggest to mess around with it and see what method you like using.

I noticed something weird happening the past few days. I only ever put eyeliner on my top lashline(eyelid), never the bottom lashline. But after a couple hours, the eyeline somehow ends up smudging to below my bottom lashline, giving me panda eyes :(

I do put concealer as a base on my eyelid & it does stop the eyeliner from smudging onto my eyelid.

What brand of eyeliner are you using? Some eyeliners don't work well and end up smudging no matter what you do.

Can anyone tell me more about Bobbi Brown's eyeliners? I've seen good reviews over that product.

That and Mac's fluidline

I've never tried Bobbi Brown's but I have tried MAC Fluidlines. They're really pigmented and you get a variety of colors. But honestly I use the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner now because it's practically the same thing.

Guest happy.life

what's a good primer that you guys have tried? I'm also looking into getting foundation without SPF for going out at night time?

I really like the Smashbox primer. And for foundation I love the MUFE HD foundation I think they don't have SPF but I'm not sure. It gives a really flawless look for your face, especially in photos.

Guest mis-cree

Oohhh Thank you so much :D.

But the thing is, my sister has used clinique for everything for a year and I have never seen her touch Clinique eyeliners... and we both have pretty sensitive eyes.

That and Mac's fluidline

Are you talking about the gel liners? I have two and they're super smooth and easy to put apply... they last for a long time as well, and many of my friends swear by it. I have really watery eyes and for me it tends to smudge a bit, and I'm too lazy to keep washing an eyeliner brush... so I just stick to liquid. Its good for people who like intense black eyeliner since the colour payoff is so good.

Guest x SaRaNg HaE x

Try setting the eyeliner with an eyeshadow of the same color.

Guest tinatran_

It depends, many people use different methods. I actually prefer using my foundation first because then I can let it cover what it can and then conceal afterwards. I end up using much less concealer if I had done it the other way around. But I would suggest to mess around with it and see what method you like using.

thanks! i think i'll try doing the concealer first before foundation. =) i have this concealer pot but its really thick to the point where i might have to "warm" it up before i use it.. does anyone have a method of how to warm it up? and i lost my concealer brush too. D:

Guest mis-cree

thanks! i think i'll try doing the concealer first before foundation. =) i have this concealer pot but its really thick to the point where i might have to "warm" it up before i use it.. does anyone have a method of how to warm it up? and i lost my concealer brush too. D:

I like to apply concealer with my finger... just rub it around in a small circle on the back of your hand before you apply (i apply concealer by patting it on my problem areas with my finger) and it should be nicely warmed up!

Archived