Pretty Little Liars

Guest Miro25

^ Ugh no. I knew he would be back, but I really hoped that he wouldn't. I personally have no ill feelings toward him or his character, but the producers already ruined the character and the relationship between the two characters, so I don't see any need to bring him back onto the show. 
First of all, they spent the whole duration of 4A to promote the show Ravenswood, which ended up getting canceled anyway. They basically wasted our PLL time, that could've been used to further the PLL plot, to promote a show that was got canceled. 
Secondly, they broke up a couple that was already going steady and smooth. I don't have any "ships" or favorite couples on the show, but they ruined a perfectly fine couple. 
Thirdly, on PLL and Ravenswood, they made it clear that they were broken up. Plus, on Ravenswood, they made it kind of clear that Caleb and Miranda were "destined lovers". He even wanted to stay with her in limbo when he almost died. How is he going to bounce back into a relationship with Hanna after going through that? (and I know they aren't "confirming" him to going back into a relationship with Hanna, but come on. Since when have ANY of these girls been single on this show without having some sort of a relationship with a significant other? Never.)
Lastly, how is Caleb going to go from fighting this mysterious SUPERNATURAL curse, with demons and ghosts, to going back to Rosewood, fighting this mysterious HUMAN stalker. "A" is nothing compared to supernatural demons. 
Plus, if they even dare try to bring some supernatural stunts into PLL or try to finish the Ravenswood story through PLL.. Marlene King, you better hope that PLL even makes it to the 1mil mark next season, since this season has seen SERIES low ratings. Stop pushing the story, pushing dumb story lines, and ruining unnecessary characters, and get along with the PLL story line. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

‘Pretty Little Liars’ Renewed for Two More Seasons
pretty little liars

In anticipation of tonight’s season-five premiere, ABC Family has ordered two more seasons of ratings darling “Pretty Little Liars,” Variety has learned.
Season six is set to air mid-2015, and season seven will air mid-2016.
The teen drama, which originally focused on four high schoolers trying to solve their friend’s murder while also being the victims of a mysterious bully, is the top series in the network’s history in both total viewers (3.8 million) and across all target demos. It has also been TV’s top cable telecast in the hour for 95 consecutive original telecasts in females 12-34.
The show’s success stems largely from its integrated social-media strategies, which helped it break the record for the most-tweeted scripted series telecast of all time. “Liars” recently became Instagram’s top scripted television series based on total followers, according to ListenFirst Media, and luxury car dealer Audi recently announced a partnership with the series to show choice “Liars” tidbits on teen-friendly social site Snapchat.
“’Pretty Little Liars’ has taken its place in the zeitgeist and reigns supreme in pop culture,” said ABC Family prexy Tom Ascheim, who announced the news with Kate Juergens, exec VP of original programming and development and CCO. “I am glad to bring another two seasons to our audience, because ‘A’ has a lot in store for our Liars.”
“Liars” was created by I. Marlene King and is based on the series of books by Sara Shepard. It is produced by Alloy Entertainment, Gaslight Productions and Russian Hill Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television, and is exec produced by King, Oliver Goldstick, Leslie Morgenstein and Joseph Dougherty.
Source

• 5 months later...

itemprop="headline" style="font-family: ProximaNova-Light, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 2.25em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 1.11111em; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); word-wrap: break-word; letter-spacing: -1px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Pretty Little Liars, Chasing Life, more get premiere datesABC has announced return dates for Pretty Little Liars, Chasing Life and several other drama series.
The network has confirmed that Pretty Little Liars will kick off its winter 2015 season on Tuesday, January 6 at 8pm ET as the girls grieve for Mona (Janel Parrish).
Pretty Little Liars

Switched at Birth is back on Tuesday, January 6 at 9pm ET, with the storyline picking up right after high school graduation.
Sitcoms Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy are paired together on Wednesday, January 14 at 8pm ET and 8.30pm ET respectively.

Melissa Joan Hart 'Melissa & Joey

Monday, January 19 will see The Fosters premiere at 8pm ET as Robert Quinn (Kerr Smith) invites Callie (Maia Mitchell) to join his family, followed by Chasing Life resuming at 9pm ET.
ABC Family will precede its winter 2015 schedule with several one-off holiday specials for its original shows as part of the '25 Days of Christmas' programming block next month.
Source

• 4 weeks later...

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1417833301067_932" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Marlene King Talks 'A' Theories: 'Only One Fan Guessed the Truth!'Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good fright!
Pretty Little Liars' first-ever Christmas special is almost here and even though we know it's going to be jam-packed with romantic moments, there are still going to plenty of the series' signature thrills and chills hiding under the tree.
To help get you prepared for all of 'A' holiday-themed antics, ETonline had an exclusive chat with PLL's executive producer Marlene King and we've got your inside scoop on an "explosive" reunion, the true identity of 'Big A' and more pretty little secrets.
For those of you who are still crushed about the news of Rosewood's most recent jaw-dropping death, you can take comfort in the fact that Mona is coming back in Tuesday's special — and she's ready to torture her former tormentor.
Dressed as the ghost of Christmas past, present, and future, Mona will truly terrify Ali in a way that fans have never seen before. "You will definitely see [Ali] scared in this episode, and I love it." King confessed to ETonline.
"I think this is the most that we've ever seen Janel Parrish and Sasha [Pieterse] together on screen. They have such a great dynamic and they're really the two villains facing off," she continued. "It's explosive when we see them together, and Mona needs to scare Ali if she's ever going to make a difference in her life. She's got that goal when she starts out, and she succeeds."
'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Marlene King Talks 'A' Theories: 'Only One Fan Guessed the Truth!'

As for the questions surrounding Mona's death, King spilled that fans will get these answers "fairly soon." She explained, "There are some answers that start coming in the Christmas episode, and then right away when we launch in January, there are a lot of answers right at the top of 5B."
And speaking of answers, in PLL's Halloween special, viewers were shocked to learn that the identity of 'Big A' will actually be revealed before season seven starts. So of course, we had to ask King about the reason for this early unveiling.
"It just feels like the right time," she explained. "It felt like the right time at the end of season two to give up original 'A' and Mona through that reveal. And in terms of where we want to go with the show, as we move to the end of season five, this revelation needs to come sooner than later."
There are plenty of theories and rumors swirling through the Internet about the identity of 'Big A,' but guess what? They're all probably wrong! King confessed that she has only seen the correct answer once.
"It's only been one time in the history of the show," she said. "Both my assistant and I saw it online — I won't even say where — but there was someone who had it completely right, and I think I saved it. If I have it, and once that revelation is revealed, I will call that person. It was shockingly correct."
So as of now only a handful of people truly know who has been hiding underneath that black hoodie for all these years. "Troian [bellisario] and Keegan [Allen] know," King said. We were very late on set one night and I told them. And maybe Ashley [benson] knows now too." (Umm, is anyone else insanely jealous right now?)
'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Marlene King Talks 'A' Theories: 'Only One Fan Guessed the Truth!'

So how can the fans figure it out? "There are going to be some clues given at the end of season 5B that I think really tell the story of where we're going," King answered. "I've seen so many fantastic theories that the fans have, but they will have a lot more information to base those theories on by the end of 5B."
Better start thinking harder little Liars because apparently only one of you has the correct answer…
Pretty Little Liars' Christmas special airs Tuesday, Dec. 9 at 8 p.m. on ABC Family.
Source

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1418323203247_1750" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Lucy Hale: Pretty Little Liars' Christmas Special Is "Just As Heavy, Dramatic, and Mysterious" As Ever1418060567_pretty-little-liars-467.jpg

For the first time in its five-season history, Pretty Little Liars ditched its annual Halloween episode in favor of a Christmas special. (Merry Christmas, terror lovers!) While we were initially sad about the lack of PLL Halloween costume fabulousness this year, Lucy Hale helped Us Weekly feel much better about the swap—because it involves the series' handsome men stripped down!

Lucy Hale: Pretty Little Liars' Christmas Special Is "Just As Heavy, Dramatic, and Mysterious" As Ever

"We, the girls, have these amazing, beautiful costumes," Hale said, referencing the ice-blue, seemingly Frozen-inspired dresses pictured on the Liars (including Ashley Benson, Shay Mitchell, and Troian Bellisario) in stills from the episode, airing Tuesday, Dec. 9.

But, the budding country crooner added, there's an even better costume change: "You get to see all the guys in Santa boxers—and nothing else. I'm dead serious! I think Ian Harding did about 1,000 crunches beforehand," Hale quipped.

Yes, please! Though that's not the only change of scenery Hale witnessed: Rosewood got snowed in! "Everyone's always laughing because [the show is set] in Pennsylvania, and there's a lot of snow there, but you don't see it on our show," the petite actress, who plays aspiring writer Aria in the series, told Us. "So for the Christmas episode, we brought in a snow truck and filled up the whole Warner Brothers backlot with fake snow. While it was, like, 105 degrees. It was crazy—it was so hot!"

Lucy Hale: Pretty Little Liars' Christmas Special Is "Just As Heavy, Dramatic, and Mysterious" As Ever

That's not the only thing crazy about the Christmas special! Thanks to sneak peek images from tonight's episode, it looks like former queen bee Allison (Sasha Pieterse) arrives at Rosewood High's Winter Formal with a new gang of masked ladies. And Mona (Janel Parrish) returns from the grave as the Ghost of Christmas Past!
"Despite [the Christmas backdrop], the episode is just as heavy, just as dramatic, just as mysterious as always," Hale teased. "The girls are still being hunted down. In fact, the episode is probably even more dramatic, because we had to overcompensate for it being Christmas. We added even more drama to it."
Source
class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1418323107304_1786" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"‘Pretty Little Liars’ Christmas Special Bags 2.1 Million Viewers‘Pretty Little Liars’ Christmas Special Bags 2.1 Million Viewers

ABC Family's “Pretty Little Liars” Christmas special fell about a million viewers compared to last year's Halloween episode. But, it did make a dent in the night's social activity.
“How the ‘A’ Stole Christmas” was viewed by 2.1 million total viewers. In the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic, the episode earned a 0.9 rating and 1.1. million viewers. In ABC Family's key demo Women 18-49, it rated a 1.5 and 950,000 viewers.
This year, ABC Family broke from tradition when it skipped its annual Halloween episode for Tuesday's Christmas-themed special. In terms of total viewers, Tuesday's episode was viewed by about a million less viewers than last year's Halloween special, which was viewed by 3.2 million viewers.
The good news is that “PLL” was still one of the most buzzed-about shows on social media. It was No. 2 in Twitter ratings, placing after the series finale of AMC's “Sons of Anarchy.” Nearly 118,000 unique authors’ tweets were seen by 3 million people, generating 13 million impressions.
On photo sharing site, Instagram, “Pretty Little Liars” is the most followed scripted series with almost 1.5 million followers.
New drama “Chasing Life” followed the “PLL” Christmas special at 9 p.m. It was viewed by 1.2 million people. In the ad demo, it rated a 0.5 with 684,000 followers. In the network's demo, “Chasing Life” earned a 0.8 rating and 543,000 viewers.

Source

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1418843306400_1765" style="font-size: 35px; font-weight: 300; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; line-height: 42px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"‘Pretty Little Liars’ to Feature Fan Art in Winter Season Promos_Pretty_Little_Liars__to_Feature-e3d00dd

“Pretty Little Liars” fans, break out your sketch pads!

The ABC Family series will feature fan art in the the on-air promotions for its upcoming winter season, which kicks off Tuesday, Jan. 6.

“PLL” enthusiasts are encouraged to submit their finest renderings of Alison (Sasha Pieterse), Aria (Lucy Hale), Emily (Shay Mitchell), Hanna (Ashley Benson) and Spencer (Troian Bellisario) to the show’s Tumblr page for consideration. ABC Family will showcase five pieces of fan art each week.

The winter premiere of “Pretty Little Liars” will resume three months after the death of Mona (Janel Parrish), with Mona’s friends and family still in mourning and convinced that Alison played a part in Mona’s death. With their suspicions at a high, they search for evidence to prove Alison’s guilt. Meanwhile, Emily and Paige (Lindsey Shaw) reach a crossroad in their relationship, and Aria starts to worry about her future.

Source

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1419476090740_480" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"‘Pretty Little Liars’ Winter Premiere First Look: The Liars Gather For Mona’s Funeral‘Pretty Little Liars’ Winter Premiere First Look: The Liars Gather For Mona’s Funeral

This exclusive photo from the “Pretty Little Liars” winter premiere reveals the funeral of Mona (Janel Parrish) after her brutal murder on the midseason finale.
The liars’ faces paint a telling picture: Aria (Lucy Hale), Hanna (Ashley Benson), Emily (Shay Mitchell) and Spencer (Troian Bellisario), all dressed in matching flower leis to honor Mona, look to be in complete shock— which means “A” is probably lurking.
Parrish will continue on as a series regular on the ABC Family hit, appearing throughout in flashbacks. She was last seen as the Ghost of Christmas Past, Present and Future on the special holiday episode, which aired on Dec. 9.
ABC Family’s “Pretty Little Liars” returns for the second half of season 5 on Jan. 6.
Source

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1419739954677_1792" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Pretty Little Liars Photos: A Fight With Toby Leaves Spencer in Tearspll-spoilers-spencer-toby

Toby’s finally cast-free and mobile when Pretty Little Liars returns in January — but why is he using his legs to run from Spencer?
New photos from the ABC Family drama’s Jan. 13 episode find the formerly rock-solid Spoby on shaky ground, as Toby chooses to walk away from a crying Spencer on the streets of Rosewood.
So, why the lovers’ quarrel? The answer lies in the episode’s official description, per ABC Family: “When a surprising bit of evidence shows up, Toby is put in a difficult position with his job and with Spencer. … Spencer tries to convince Toby to stray from his moral gut reaction, which puts stress on their relationship.”
And here I thought “Officer Toby” was going to be a good thing.
We’ve also got photos from PLL‘s Jan. 20 episode, in which the girls turn to Caleb for a little technical assistance in their ongoing battle against “A.”
Oh, and did I mention the new batch of pics includes the returns of Jason and Ashley? Always good to see their faces — especially after Jason’s nasty run-in with that elevator shaft.
Source

• 2 weeks later...

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1420755841947_914" style="font-size: 35px; font-weight: 300; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; line-height: 42px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Pretty Little Liars Season 5 Winter Premiere Review: Baby, You're a Firework!Pretty Little Liars Season 5 Winter Premiere Review: Baby, You're a Firework!

If there wasn't so much blood and murder and subterfuge and heartbreak and betrayal, Season 5B might be setting itself up for a sitcom plot. There were more misunderstandings in "Through a Glass, Darkly" than during an entire Friday's TGIF block in the '90s.

My knowledge of biblical history and Ancient Greek are rusty so I won't attempt to interpret the episode title or speak to whether it refers to how obfuscated Ali and the Liars' visions of each other are (same goes for the reflections they see of themselves), but that is honestly what the season's biggest conflict will be. Ali feels set up by A and betrayed by the Liars, who in turn believe that their lives have been wrecked by A and Ali, either in tandem or exclusive of one other. Meanwhile, A continues to run wild, torturing teenage girls and escalating the A brand. I mean, come on. Fireworks? A's marketing people are geniuses.

More importantly, Ali and the Liars are officially at war with each other. I'm not sure how much Ali can do from jail but I have seen The Wire, a good chunk of Law & Order, and so much more ofThe Following than is healthy, so I know there's television precedence for her to accomplish quite a bit from behind bars. Pretty Little Liars probably didn't foist those Ali-following twins on us just to creep us out with their silence and dead-behind-the-eyes stares, so we know she has minions at her disposal. Ali can still orchestrate mayhem while she's locked up. And then the Liars will react to that madness and do something stupid. And then the battle will begin. Of course, once the smoke clears they'll probably all realize how foolish their misunderstandings were. They'll have a good laugh. And then A will come out and have a laugh with them before chasing them around the Hastings house, Benny Hill-style. And then all the men in Rosewood will start chasing themaround. It'll be a riot.

The biggest misunderstanding, of course, is that Ali is A. As soon as every Liar was on board with the idea that Ali was the one who stole the game from Mona, they all should've paused and realized their total agreement was the greatest indication of Alison's innocence. Every decision they make that's rooted in that belief will be a farce, and will prompt you to yell at the screen, "It's not her, you nincompoops!" And, as we saw the preview for next week's episode, the nincompoopery gets going pretty quickly.

The secondary misunderstanding started to get into the heavier themes of the episode. It was all fun and games to watch the Liars dig deeper holes for themselves and find new ways to make us facepalm, and the resulting feeling of mirth was plentiful at the beginning of the episode thanks to all its goofiness: the soap slap at the funeral, Mrs. Vanderwaal gingerly handing over Mona's stuffed dog to Hanna and asking her to take care of it, watching Toby work out the details of the case with his strawman's brain. But, eventually, we worked our way through the campiness and started on what seems to be the emotional core of Season 5B.

Ali feels betrayed that the Liars would take sides against her. They might as well be siding with A. But her hurt feelings (if she has feelings) don't take into account how desperate these girls are to find some peace. People keep dying, mysteries continue to present themselves, and there seems to be a constant threat level keeping them suspicious and poised for attack, even when they're just supposed to be attending a friendly, ice-themed masquerade. They need an answer. You know and I know that the person who killed Mona on that hidden-camera footage is wearing a terrible blonde wig. But everyone in Rosewood, Jason included, wants it to be over. And Ali is just terrible enough to deserve the blame.

They're all so very tired. In "Through a Glass, Darkly," Pretty Little Liars put that voice and theme into Paige's mouth, which is fair since she is emotionally the weakest of the girls' extended clique. It was very sweet for Paige to quote that song for Emily about her eyes, and how it's "a day's work just to look into them" (which I'm assuming is from 

Paige is really digging into those deep cuts), but it wasn't just about how she can get lost in them or the grand beginning of their farewell. Paige has fought so hard for Emily over the course of the series, and the woman has cost her so much. There've been the break-ups because of A threats, the desperate need to protect Emily from bullies at all angles, the struggle to remain in the dark because the truth of what was actually happening with her girlfriend would've been too much for a mind not sharpened by Ali or A to handle. Paige suffers her passion. Just to have the opportunity to look into Emily's eyes is a day's work.

That was vocalized during the goodbye scene at the airport. Paige had to leave because she couldn't physically, mentally, or emotionally deal with the torment of living in Rosewood. Emily tried to come up with a bunch of excuses for her to stay. Ali's in jail! A is no longer! Let's swim together! Paige was almost the audience here, insisting that Ali's going to get out. And, let's face it, Ali will, either like Mona did at Radley or because the Rosewood PD will screw something up or because they'll realize that she's been framed and that they can't hold her for merely being a jerk. But Paige is us and she is the Liars. She's just tired. And A tormenting everyone has stolen so much of their lives. It's time to move on. If only A would let them.

So Season 5B seems like it's going to be an attempt by the Liars to maintain their false stasis. Yes, Ali is in jail. But it seems that A is still poking around (and violating the fire code). Instead of reevaluating whether or not their jailed friend actually is their uber-tormentor, they will beg, borrow, and steal whatever it takes to keep hold of the security they've bought themselves. Planting evidence? Yep. Discarding a murder weapon? Sure. Actively denying the truth so that they don't have to face the fact that they unnecessarily burned a very dangerous woman? Definitely. College (or just plain leaving) seems to be the only way they'll actually be able to limit A's intrusion into their lives. And it's going to be a bumpy ride to graduation.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

class="title Font-A-6-110" data-reactid=".1ykso1a0su8.$cover-mosaic-transition-group.$=1$cover-mosaic-0:0.$article-c1421105501058.0:$Pos-r.$article-inner-container.$inset-container.0.0" id="yui_3_15_0_1_1421458359539_669" style="font-family: 'Freight Big Pro', Georgia, Times, serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.045; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: auto; margin: 0px 0px 20px; letter-spacing: 0.03em; padding: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; max-width: 800px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Shay Mitchell On "Pretty Little Liars," Playing a Lesbian on TV, Avoiding Mean Girls & MoreShay Mitchell knows what she wants. The actress, who plays Emily Fields on the show Pretty Little Liars, is getting readied for a photo shoot, with people attending to her hair, makeup, and nails all at once. She’s wondering if there should be more highlighter on her eyes, or maybe more of a shadow in the crease. 
“I know my angles, what to highlight. It’s a good tool to have,” she says. “When I was modeling, if I didn’t like my makeup, I would completely change it.” It’s important, she says, for her to be at peace. If she’s in character, she’ll wear whatever it takes, but “when I’m Shay, I have to be comfortable.” 
She has no problem standing up for herself, which she thinks is an important lesson for girls to learn. “There’s a right way to ask for something; I never do it in a bitchy way.” 
Before Mitchell was a teen star, before she had her own YouTube channel and 5 million Instagram followers who like shots of her kissing a life-size Ryan Gosling cutout and modeling her custom Nikes, she was a teenager hating high school in Canada. She says she ate her lunch in the bathroom to avoid the cafeteria. Mean girls were the bane of her existence, but she’s philosophical about the experience. “I knew back then that those girls were dealing with their own issues,” she says. 
Besides, she was dealing with her own. Mitchell is half Filippino and grew up in a predominantly white area. “It was the first thing people noticed. They’d say, ‘Are you the daughter of my nanny?’ I hated being asked who I was, and all my friends had blond hair and blue eyes.” So she tried to change herself: She dyed her hair and wore colored contacts, and stayed out of the sun to make her skin as pale as possible. “That girl,” she says, “wanted to be something she wasn’t.” 
It took getting out of her hometown for her to start to like herself. “It’s good to switch things up,” she says. “If you’re always comfortable, you don’t grow.” After graduation, she moved to Thailand — she had never been to Asia before — with a boyfriend, and later moved to Hong Kong. It was a formative time, living on her own for the first time and starting to model. “I remember landing and walking in the market and seeing live eels being chopped, the heat, the pollution, the traffic. It was a huge shock,” she says. “I had to be completely independent. I hadn’t ever done a load of laundry before — my grandma was amazing,” she says with a laugh. 
She learned how to budget what little money she had, which is a mentality she still has now. To a certain extent — she did buy a classic black Chanel 2.55 bag when she got the show. “I worked for it,” she says. “I was raised with the notion that if you got it on your own, no one could take it away from you.” 
She plays a gay teen on the show. “I don’t feel like a gay icon,” she says. “I don’t feel like an icon at all. Every single interview was always, ‘What’s it like to play a gay character?’ It would be nice if I was never asked that again. Why isn’t anyone asking the other girls what it’s like to kiss a boy?” But she understands the impact that her character can have on young fans: It’s something she hears about, mostly over social media, every day. “I know kids are watching it with their families. If someone can say, ‘Oh Mom, I relate to her,’ then the conversation can begin.” 
She’s flirted with androgyny — she wore a tux on the red carpet recently — but her style is all over the place. “I’ll do motorcycle boots and all black one day and a floral dress and a flower crown the next. Today I’m dressed like a hippie gypsy.” Her greatest icon is “Sophia Loren, all day long,” she says. “She’s curvaceous and just the right amount of sexy. I love seeing her eat pasta.” 
Food is something she could discuss all day long, and she can reel off her favorite restaurants in any given city. In New York, she goes to Bar Pitti and has a secret Mexican place she loves in Brooklyn. On the way to the airport she has a ritual where she always gets a large pizza to eat on her way. “Whatever I don’t eat I give to the driver, but let’s be honest — there’s only a couple slices left.” 
She loves the kinds of random interactions you can have in New York. “You do not start conversations in L.A.,” she says. But she does go on hikes with her dog Angel, a German shepherd mix she rescued five months ago, and drives to Malibu. She loves the weather, but “I grew up in Toronto; I know my way around the snow,” she says. 
When she was young and struggling and doing bottle service in clubs, she had a vision board. “I had a surfboard for the Teen Choice Awards and a picture of Hollywood. Now, when I attain something, I take it off and put something else on.”
Source

Archived