A blouse of course

A high waist pencil skirt

Button up ruched blouse

Basic black ballet flat

Basic Almond toe high heel

Nothing trashy of course.

Guest Cheri.B*

I wanna ask about skirt lengths.

I was always taught it should be around knee length, but what I'm seeing here are mid- thigh length.

Can someone clarify of the skirt's length?

Guest soompier1

I wanna ask about skirt lengths.

I was always taught it should be around knee length, but what I'm seeing here are mid- thigh length.

Can someone clarify of the skirt's length?

keep it past the knee or right at the knee. regardless, to be safe always wear tights

Guest animeniac206

Regarding length of the skirt, it should be around knee length. But since I am short, I hem it a little bit above my knee so that it gives me a little bit of height instead and that is acceptable for professional.

Ex.

oj091.jpgoj092.jpg

My two outfits long ago. The length of the skirt are a bit long so it made me look shorter.

Guest smirk_it

Regarding length of the skirt, it should be around knee length. But since I am short, I hem it a little bit above my knee so that it gives me a little bit of height instead and that is acceptable for professional.

Ex.

%7Boption%7Doj091.jpg

%7Boption%7Doj092.jpg

My two outfits long ago. The length of the skirt are a bit long so it made me look shorter.

Always tuck in your shirt! I know theres a need to look fashionable (I used to always do that) but you'll discover soon how serious the office is and that they really take business attires seriously, unless otherwise mentioned.

Guest sweetxmemory

here's my idea of fashionable office attire :)

(some of it may be too casual for office attire)

381997834.jpg

381997818.jpg

381997806.jpg

381997803.jpg

381997802.jpg

381997795.jpg

381997794.jpg

381997793.jpg

381997791.jpg

381997786.jpg

381997785.jpg

381997784.jpg

381997783.jpg

376109161.jpg

362564689.jpg

sorry it came out to be A LOT of pics, I kinda have a fetish for saving inspiring fashion pictures :P

• 1 year later...
Guest rachilde

Honestly, appropriate/fashionable business dress depends on your job and the circumstances you've been asked to dress for. Most of these outfits are fine for business casual environments. But not every office is a business casual office and not every business event is a business casual event. I'm not wearing anything short of a full skirt suit with a collared shirt if I'm standing in front of a federal judge in my circuit (pant suits for women are still a no-no in this circuit, which is conservative compared to other circuits). But, I might wear a business-appropriate dress or other business casual attire to juvenile court. As a lawyer, I would never wear 75% of the clothes posted on this thread; but those outfits might be fine if you're interning or working in an industry/office that doesn't require formal dress.

Personally, I believe in investing in two 200-400 dollar wool-blend skirt/pant suits in a neutral color and prepping the suit up with pops of color or one interesting accessory. Accessories can include a necklace, bracelet, watch, or even cufflinks. A good use of a pop of color can include a scarf, handkerchief, or a bright blouse. You can also play with proportions with your suit. Try to find a suit with a fuller skirt or a more retro cut (think suits for women in the 1940s). Try mixing masculine and feminine elements: pair slim dress pants with menswear inspired dress shoes while wearing a feminine dress shirt. Try wearing slim dress pants with a boxy blazer and a pocket square. Pair a pencil skirt with an oversized blouse or a blouse with wider sleeves. Wear a boucle jacket instead of a blazer. Go for dress pants cut skinny instead of wide. Go for a suit jacket with panels or cuts of unusual fabric (leather/suede panels or patches, for example).

Business attire revolves around the paradigm of the suit, but I think a suit is a fascinating wardrobe item because it can be cut in many different ways with many different fabrics, textures, and colors.

In my opinion, a good, stylish business style is tailored and non-distracting. I favor using cut, fit, and proportion instead of just adding more beads or ruffles or a busy print. I'm a small girl so I can only wear so many details before I am engulfed by them! I personally do not like buying dress clothes from F21 or comparable stores. Businesswear is about the details: jacket linings, nice looking buttons and zippers, and a classic--but modern--cut! A lot of the cheaper stores don't put in a jacket lining or use nice buttons or zippers. Anyone can cut a blazer out of a piece of cloth--but a professional attire blazer is made of more than the most flammable polyester shell with blindingly shiny buttons and strings hanging off of every seam! I think a lot of people look boring/bland in business attire because they wear clothes that don't fit them correctly! A good suit fits you like a glove. Always take your suit to a tailor if it is not perfect off the rack (and it is probably never going to perfect off the rack).

For skirt length: mid-thigh is too short if you're in a formal business setting.

For shorts: If you work on the floor of F21, okay whatever. If you work as the CEO of F21: girl, put on some pants (or a knee length skirt!)

yeahhhh i agree. most of these pictures are business casual. if you were going to an interview at a professional school, you'd stick out like a sore thumb lol. they want you to wear more formal things and you should always wear dark pantyhose/stockings if you're wearing a skirt/dress. also, don't wear shoes with open toes or strappy shoes.

for my very first interview, i wore a suit and i was soo uncomfortable. being 5'0, it's hard to pull off a suit and not look like a child playing dress up. it just wasn't proportionate to my body and i felt like i was moving like a robot. i also wore 1in pumps that were open toe. i didn't get into the program.

for another interview, i got a really nice dark colored sheath dress from the Banana outlet for about $130. it was down to my knees. i also covered up the arms with a lavendar cardigan with ruffles in the front. this time, i wore 4in closed toe pumps with stockings to give me some height (sucks being short) needless to say, i was super comfortable and had a great connection with my interviewees. i got into the program.

i think 4in+ heels are not always advisable. sometimes they can seem slutty. so make sure the rest of your outfit is super conservative! and you probably shouldnt wear platforms haha.

Archived