Film Photography

Guest strawberry.llamas

miiloverx2 Thanks for the link!!! I just made the card hahaha... It is very interesting indeed. I tried taking photos inside the house the other day, and most of them were underexposed :( I thought it was bright enough, but i guess it wasn't...

I have a list of experiments that i want to perform on my Nikon EM.... hehehehe... Hopefully i won't waste a lot of film this time. And i shouldn't ignore the "beep-beep" sound...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wiwi_an

i just read about putting your film in the oven for a few minutes to give it the same effect as expired film.

does it work for film thats already used but not processed yet? :9

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

8D_heeeeeeeee DID YOU SAY $50 AUD PER ROLL?!?!?!?!??!? HOLY MOTHER. THAT IS SOME EXPENSIVE LAB!!! (but it's probably a really good quality one yea?)

for me, it costs around $50-60 HKD for them to cross-process and to scan into a CD.. so I don't get it printed. though they always give me looks when i give them slide film other than kodak elitechrome.

question: how many stops do you usually tell them to push? i never tried pushing/pulling but i've always wanted to try because people say that it turns out better and sometimes makes the colour shifts more pleasant...

i don't know if i should shoot at box speed and then push???

argh.. so clueless sometimes.........

You can't compare prices in Hong Kong to here LOLL No fair.

These guys call themselves "professionals" (google Michael's camera video) so I would like to think I get what I pay for. Normal 35mm prints are about 16cents/print, where as slide is about $3/print :wacko: You do the math. Don't you miss printing your photos and holding them in your hands?

As for how many push stops, I have no idea, for cross-processing, the developed recommended to have the shots on the roll slightly overexposed, so you get a better colour reproduction. I don't know really, still pretty noob with film...

Guest echoism

Thanks echoism, I'm actually looking for something less automated so i think i'm going for the FM. Btw, do you know any good website where i can learn how to calculate the under/overexposure steps?

This post has a pretty good introduction to exposure. I think that should help?

Ok so yah, I couldn't find film slrs at the thrift store(but there were so many expired film though $1/ea) but I bought this, idk but did I just screw myself over?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...#ht_6515wt_1165

If you can't see it it's a Nikon N60 body only for $15. I have some nikon lenses from my d60. =|

It depends, what lenses do you have? If your lenses have DX in the name they won't work. D60 has a cropped sensor and DX lenses are made to fit just that -- it won't work on 35mm/full frame (for example, the default lens D60 comes with). You'll just have a big black vignette, especially the wider the lens.

This post has a pretty good introduction to exposure. I think that should help?

It depends, what lenses do you have? If your lenses have DX in the name they won't work. D60 has a cropped sensor and DX lenses are made to fit just that -- it won't work on 35mm/full frame (for example, the default lens D60 comes with). You'll just have a big black vignette, especially the wider the lens.

Yes I already know that but I what I meant that did I buy the body for a cheap price?

Guest echoism

Yes I already know that but I what I meant that did I buy the body for a cheap price?

It's about as cheap as you're gonna get for an SLR. The N60 is a so-so body, it gets the job done at least.

Guest calv1124

I'm thinking of getting a Nikon F, F2 or F3 at the moment.

Leaning towards a Nikon F... Any reasons to get an F2/F3 over it other than the fact that they have metering?

Guest echoism

I'm thinking of getting a Nikon F, F2 or F3 at the moment.

Leaning towards a Nikon F... Any reasons to get an F2/F3 over it other than the fact that they have metering?

The F2/F3 are much more ergonomically designed, it seems. I've only played with an F2 and F3 so I don't really have any opinion either way, but the consensus seems to be that the F2 is the best of the bunch, especially the F2AS.

Guest rinCode

yay film! im not gonna lie... i dont understand how to use my camera..... i have a Canon AE-1 and i tried using it but couldnt... moreso then cuz i didnt understand anything about aperture, iso, shutter speed, etc..... so i ended up buying a dslr and im lovin it... but yea, once i get more educated and familiar with all the functions of a camera, im hoping ill be able to tame my AE-1 ^____________^

Guest strawberry.llamas

yay film! im not gonna lie... i dont understand how to use my camera..... i have a Canon AE-1 and i tried using it but couldnt... moreso then cuz i didnt understand anything about aperture, iso, shutter speed, etc..... so i ended up buying a dslr and im lovin it... but yea, once i get more educated and familiar with all the functions of a camera, im hoping ill be able to tame my AE-1 ^____________^

hm that's interesting. I started with film just to get a steady foundation about aperture, ISO, shutter speed, and etc so i can be prepared to use a dslr. Cuz it is the same...same quality as well and functions (not like Dreamy/Uljjang mode) it's just that it's digital. I think it'll be easier to learn on a film camera than a dslr but everyone is different :P

Guest rinCode

hm that's interesting. I started with film just to get a steady foundation about aperture, ISO, shutter speed, and etc so i can be prepared to use a dslr. Cuz it is the same...same quality as well and functions (not like Dreamy/Uljjang mode) it's just that it's digital. I think it'll be easier to learn on a film camera than a dslr but everyone is different :P

i dont know... i took it out for a run a year or two ago and all my pics came out underexposed for some reason, but i never found out why.... theres a thing inside the viewfinder that shows how much light is coming in through the lens and i made sure there was enough.... but looking back now, im pretty sure i didnt set the aperture and shutter speed correctly... i really had no idea what i was doing back then.... maybe i expected too much from it.... i find that the A and T modes on dslrs help out a lot... it lets u play around with one setting without having to worry about another, since the camera does it for u... in that sense i think dslrs are easier to start wtih.... ^^ i really should try out my AE-1 again..... but im kinda intimidated(?) by it now XD i feel too dumb to use it haha.... and the cost of film and print doesnt really make me enthusiastic about shooting film ): especially if all my pics are underexposed or overexposed >< but i guess u have to lose something to gain something right? hehe

Guest strawberry.llamas

i dont know... i took it out for a run a year or two ago and all my pics came out underexposed for some reason, but i never

(sorry i cut your post short :x)

aw don't feel intimidated!!! Personally, nikon dslrs scare the mini cooper out of me!! They're so complicated...but then again...i'm more of a canon person (lol like my dad). What really helped me out was taking a photography class in my highschool even though we focused on shutter priority...and having a dad who was pretty experienced (just an amateur though but taught me aperture priority). It's pretty nerve wracking when my dad asks me, "Look outside...with that lighting, which shutter speed would you put it at and what would you set the aperture?" And in korean none the less -_-.

Hm...if you are in highschool...maybe take a photography class? If you're in college and beyond~ maybe research about it. There are plenty of books out there as well :]

Haha yup~ it costs me probably around $12 (with student discount) to get a roll of color 35mm developed and 1 set of prints. I feel sorry for those who use medium format :x that's mad expensive!!

But also check if your light meter is broken?? It could be faulty...maybe :o

The camera that i'm using is my dad's and it's manual. The battery to power the light meter is illegal :x (mercury battery) so I don't have that handy gadget to see if the lighting is bad or not.

Just keep on trying ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some shots that were developed last summer. Please excuse the horrible quality...they look somewhat decent in real life. :]

scan00022.jpg

scan0003.jpg

^this one came out too dark...but i like it nonetheless.

scan0004.jpg

scan0007.jpg

^for those who miss the blue skies of summer.

scan0008.jpg

^the light at the end of the tunnel~

:]

Guest echoism

Shooting film doesn't have to be expensive! Here's how I keep it affordable:

Buy expired film in bulk. You can get even professional film for just $1-2 a roll. Store it in a refrigerator or freezer to keep it fresh as possible. This is my film collection about a year ago, and it's only gotten bigger since I started medium format.

3296248342_dbeea04579.jpg

Buy a cheap film scanner if you're only scanning for the web. I use an Epson V30 that cost me only $50. If you want to scan medium format, try an Epson 4490 for around $130.

Then you only have to develop the film, and not get prints. The scanner definitely pays for itself. I take my 35mm film to Target and get it developed for $1.02 w/tax.

For medium format, I send my film to Fujifilm Labs through Walmart. Develop + prints costs around $2-3. The print sizes aren't correct for 6x4.5, which is a little annoying, but I can live with it until I upgrade my scanner.

And there you go! Much, much more affordable film ;D

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

That sir is a lot of film righ there. I have about the same amount as you do on the top left shelf, which I thought was a bit much. I'm seeing quite a few Kodak rolls in Fuji containers :P

Guest rinCode

Shooting film doesn't have to be expensive! Here's how I keep it affordable:

Buy expired film in bulk. You can get even professional film for just $1-2 a roll. Store it in a refrigerator or freezer to keep it fresh as possible. This is my film collection about a year ago, and it's only gotten bigger since I started medium format.

3296248342_dbeea04579.jpg

Buy a cheap film scanner if you're only scanning for the web. I use an Epson V30 that cost me only $50. If you want to scan medium format, try an Epson 4490 for around $130.

Then you only have to develop the film, and not get prints. The scanner definitely pays for itself. I take my 35mm film to Target and get it developed for $1.02 w/tax.

For medium format, I send my film to Fujifilm Labs through Walmart. Develop + prints costs around $2-3. The print sizes aren't correct for 6x4.5, which is a little annoying, but I can live with it until I upgrade my scanner.

And there you go! Much, much more affordable film ;D

where can i buy expired film in bulk? or at all? i wasnt aware that retailers sold expired film.... aside from those who do it unknowingly.... and at full price > <

also.... regarding film scanners..... i never knew such things existed :S but yea, how exactly does it work? i looked online and most of them seem to work with both pos/neg film.... so does that basically mean, i can shoot a roll of film, then just hook it up/feed the film thru the scanner and it will give me digital scans? and then i guess i could buy a photo printer to print those digital files correct?

Guest rinCode

@strawberry.llamas: you're korean? Me too ^^ yea... I'm 23 in March and in university XD my highschool didn't have any photography courses and the ones at my university fill up real quick and are for the most part reserved for photography majors ><... Must be nice to have a dad that knows a lot about photography ^^

Where are you from btw? I'm born and raised in Canada ^^ went to korea for the first time this past summer actually ^^

Guest echoism

where can i buy expired film in bulk? or at all? i wasnt aware that retailers sold expired film.... aside from those who do it unknowingly.... and at full price > <

also.... regarding film scanners..... i never knew such things existed :S but yea, how exactly does it work? i looked online and most of them seem to work with both pos/neg film.... so does that basically mean, i can shoot a roll of film, then just hook it up/feed the film thru the scanner and it will give me digital scans? and then i guess i could buy a photo printer to print those digital files correct?

I usually use ebay. Just search "expired film" or "outdated film." Look for stuff that's been frozen or cold stored.

You need to get the film developed first before you can do anything. Positive film is slide film, and negative film is the regular ol' film. Then you put the film in a film holder and scan, usually frame by frame, if it's a flat bed. If you get a dedicated film scanner, then you just feed it through.

You could use a printer to print out the prints. I very, very rarely get prints, so when I do get prints done, I just take the negatives to a photo lab and make a print straight from the negative. Much better quality, even if more expensive.

Archived