Gong Hyo Jin 공효진

melusine

Awards season has begun! Bring it onnnnnnnn

GHJ got Best Actress nods from the 7th Korea Film Awards and 29th Blue Dragon Awards --> Woot woot!!! biggrinbounce2ol7.gifdanceei7.gif

Her "Crush & Blush" director Lee KyungMi and co-stars Seo Woo and Hwang WooSeulHye are nominees as well.

(the rest over @ the Soompi threads <Korea Film Awards> <Blue Dragon Awards>)

The Blue Dragon Awards ceremony will be held on Nov 20, 7:25pm at KBS Hall, Yeouido, while the Korea Film Awards ceremony will be at the Sejong Cultural Center on Dec 4, 6pm.

logovz4gf3.jpg

8bl75105_1.jpg

8bj17011lx9.jpg

8bo751075wg6.jpg

News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News

kfaij0.jpg

News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News

So proud of HyoJin. The risk she took with this character and her hard work have really paid off.^^

Thank you so much for the radio show recording, aalhl! :) And thank you again for periodically posting Gong-Gong candid pics in the thread. It's great to see that the 2 have stayed close friends all these years; I enjoyed listening to them laugh and tease each other on air.
Hello melusine. You are welcome. I'm afraid that I can only contribute some Gong-Gong related stuff once in a while.. :P I enjoy listening to their chatting too.. very natural.. very much like normal chatting with friends. BTW, the Chinese translation you posted is not complete and not related to Gong-Gong conversation, so maybe you want to remove it. :)

Oh yes.. not very long ago also, GHJ was the special guest in Come To Play? We have translations of her comment about GY as well. Feel free to read up on it here - http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...53&st=22106

On Nov 13 at 8:00 pm an accident occurred at Seoul Olympic Park during the launch of Audi A4. The VIP seats section collapsed 2~3 meters, injuring several people (7 at last count). Ambulances and fire trucks were dispatched, and the injured were rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. The VIP attendees (actors Kim HyeSoo, Lee JungJae, Jung WooSung, Ryu SeungBeom, Gong HyoJin, Jeon DoYeon, Kim MinHee (+ her bf model Lee SooHyuk), Kim JiHoon, Jang GeunSeok, Choi KangHee, Ji HyunWoo, singers Gu JunYeop (who was reportedly very helpful during the chaos), Lee JaeWon, Shim TaeYoon, Kim JongSeo, Lee JaeHoon, Lee SeungHwan, Yoon DoHyun, comedian/MC Hong RokGi, the Danish ambassador and his wife, foreign car manufacturers/CEOs, etc) were quickly evacuated. The artists' management agencies have confirmed that they're more or less okay; KHS reportedly has minor abrasions. The Jamiroquai concert was delayed by 45 mins because of the accident, but still proceeded at 9:10~15 pm. The cause of the wooden structure's collapse is currently under investigation.

imagereadbot20086944571of6.jpg

imagereadmed20086944571za7.jpg

imagereadtop20086944571uy2.jpg

200811141114445198swmv0ja8.jpg200811141114445198swmv0hp5.jpg

<Video|DL / Video|DL / Video|DL / Video|DL / Video / Video / Video / Video>

News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News

:o What a relief that no one was seriously hurt.

^ :o That is really unexpected news. Something that shouldn't be happening but we just can't be all too assured, right? It's an awesome relief that no one got seriously hurt (is there?).. most probably got off/away in the nick of time! Hope KHS gets well soon, she'll be hosting the Blue Dragon next week. BH probably would attend the Audi event as well (he had been the spokesperson for the carmaker in recent years) but he was away in Beijing instead. Sorry.. a bit offtopic. as always... :blush:

If only we could share this update at the News thread, too. Not the kind of updates we hope to read.. (reports of injury and tragedy, etc) but still NEWS.. huh.. :mellow: Well done, melusine-ssi for the sharing.. we wouldn't know about this at all.

Anyway.. so happy for HyoJin, two Best Actress nominations in the Blue Dragon and Korean Film Awards. Way to go, girl! :w00t: Hope Dir. Lee wins as well. Hehee.. rubes here rooting for NomNomNom obviously ^^ but what the heck.. it's Girl-Power indeed! :w00t:

Found the related Audi update at ChosunIlbo. It didn't mention GHJ but a good follow-up to melusine's gist. :blush:

November 14, 2008

Celebrity Stand Collapses at Audi Launch

The launch ceremony of the new Audi A4, held on Thursday afternoon at the Olympic Hall in Seoul, was marred by the collapse of VIP stands near the stage, leaving a number of celebrities, including top actress Kim Hye-soo, injured. According to witnesses, the VIP seating stand collapsed at 8:10 p.m. when crowds swarmed towards the new Audi car as it appeared center stage.

Celebrities, including actresses Kim Hye-soo and Choi Kang-hee, and actors Jung Woo-sung, Lee Jung-jae and Ryu Seung-bum, were sitting in the VIP area. Some escaped the site unharmed, but others sustained minor bruising.

An Audi official said, “We are aware that one of the guests was injured, but none of the celebrities needed hospital treatment as far as we know.” A fireman said, “Two or three celebrities sustained light injuries, like scrapes.” One witness said, “The VIP seats looked like they were made of wood, but I think the stand collapsed under the pressure of the stampede.”

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com, thanks to melusine for the highlight

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0811140015.html

200301679.jpg

VOD clip from news.empas.com

200301668.jpg

VOD clip from news.empas.com

29th Blue Dragon Awards

11/20/08 - KBS Hall

News / News / News / News / News

Red Carpet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6SVWgecYLU|DL|DL|DL / Video|DL / Video|DL / Video / Video / Video / Video / Video / Video / Video

2008112100560272233_174533_0.jpg

2008112020231011281ed9.th.jpg 2008112019102811211bk2.th.jpg 2008112020231011282xy5.th.jpg 2008112019224311211zu0.th.jpg pyh2008112009510001300pvm0.th.jpg

200811200509vq2.jpg

2008112031482545ei3.th.jpg news12271776511348541mcn9.th.jpg 2019562057861000090eu2.th.jpg 200811200526hl6.th.jpg 20081120190514038041ur2.th.jpg

200811200015720jb0.jpg

12271784511641ey9.th.jpg htm20081121093939010700fh8.th.jpg 20081120015870fk5.th.jpg 200811201941144710vi1.th.jpg 20081120190840246891sa4.th.jpg 200811201955085251135a1ez2.th.jpg pyh2008112011900001300psk8.th.jpg 12271764273271lq0.th.jpg

2008112019202110031kk1.jpg

200811202254131rj7.th.jpg imagereadtop20087093861ys8.th.jpg 20081120193812154331cs3.th.jpg 2019102140661000090yn8.th.jpg 2008112020254710031qc4.th.jpg pp08112000025in8.th.jpg nisi200811210000285580wea5.th.jpg untitledqv6.th.jpg

2008112019593411221fz5.jpg

200811201950238140dm1.th.jpg 200811200015470wc2.th.jpg 1l1227185881gg1.th.jpg 2008112020005811221ox8.th.jpg 1l1227185466at5.th.jpg 12271807127361ze3.th.jpg

2008112020003311201wx8.jpg

20081121001022xi1.th.jpg 20081121001023ht0.th.jpg 20081121001021rp2.th.jpg 20081120015871vf6.th.jpg pyh2008112011980099000pbw4.th.jpg 2021511509361000090rr7.th.jpg

untitledffq3.jpg

2008112021574910031uy9.jpg

[YouTube|YouTube|YouTube|YouTube|YouTube|YouTube]

BlueDragon_Actress.jpg

[YouTube]

HyoJin lost to Son YeJin but "Crush & Blush" won Best New Director and Best Screenplay. Congrats to Park ChanWook, Park EunGyo and most especially to writer/director Lee KyungMi! :D

BlueDragon_Screenplay_1.jpg

Best Screenplay - [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Zf47JZmvU] [MegaUpload] [MediaFire] [SendSpace]

BlueDragon_NewDirector.jpg

Best New Director - [YouTube|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7_SIO2rOE] [MegaUpload] [MediaFire] [SendSpace]

Btw, HyoJin was wearing jewelry from Chaumet's Liens de Chaumet collection (necklace+watch). [via ikissyou.com]

related links:

http://sports.chosun.com/BlueDragon2008/

[Digital Chosun Ilbo] Blue Dragon Award Goes to Sports Drama

[Variety] 'The Weird' tops Blue Dragon Awards

[KBS World] Filmmakers Honored at the 29th Blue Dragon Awards

[Korea Times] Sports Movie Wins Best Award

[KOFIC] Forever Wins Korea’s Top Blue Dragon

[Dramabeans] Blue Dragon Awards 2008

Download @ Aigoo

Soompi thread

<clickable thumbnails>

credit as labelled

No hotlinking pls!

Guest mandalaywith

hi

Yesterday I'm attented to 29th Blue Dragon Film Awards Readcarpet.

My take up some Photo is not clear.Only video is clear.

Gong Hyo Jin(공효진) 29th Blue Dragon Film Awards Redcarpet Vod

credit- http://blog.daum.net/mandalaywith @ soompi

If you post another site,please write to credit.Respect to Owner

Vod is My daum blog in go to watch

http://blog.daum.net/mandalaywith/17948595

This is nothing much to share, just saw the impressive list of links of VODS and downloads.

Well done, melusine!rbhcool.gif The Youtube sharing and DLs are awesome.

4210_13.jpg

z_MMEDIA5.gifhttp://vod.innolife.net/2008/11/tv_081120_02.wmv

[Kim Ha Neul, Kang Ji Hwan, Joo Ji Hoon, veteran actor Kim Hee Ra + wife, Lee Soo Kyung, Gong Hyo Jin, Jung Woo Sung,

Song Kang Ho, Kim Hae Sook, Han Chae Young, Soo Ji Sub, Lee Byung Hun, Lee Ha Na, Jin Goo, Lee Mi Yeon]

Source: innolife.tv

Upon a thorough reflection urged by the thought of GHJ's ill-fate with Korean Awards, it would be safely said that there is a suggestion of favourism in those Korean awards in which the justice ends with the nomination.

When every drama's criterion is its viewer rate, every movie's aim its box-office, and when most viewers of both become such merelyfor their rooted actors/actresses, for whom the idolization are most likely shared by multitudes, (This actually boasts ample convenience, considering the daily or even hourly availability of company of seemingly same interests for gossiping. I, overcome by such idea, joined the craze for a certain star but eventually gave it up within a couple of days for the unendurableness of its want of quality) there is hardly any point in rejecting the idea of making commercial means of the awards themselves. The damage to the reputation, is there any, will hardly be of any consequence, considering the magnitude of Korean movies industry which, despite the famous K-wave, remains limited yet shrinking.

I observe that the awards are mostly like exploited for three critical purposes. First is big new star promotion, which accounts for YEH's numerous awards and betrays the rashness of the industry. Next is big star domination; though it's hard to say whether it is in her own right or it is the conservativeness of Korea that makes JDY a permanent award winner, my idea is that there is no scale large enough to weigh true talents and thus when come to such it is prejudice that works. The final should be influenced by either the box-office rate or public responses, which is respectively the reason for the awards of The King Clown and The Chaser.

However, as my statement in the beginning that the justice ends with the nomination and that true talent equals uniqueness which made the idea of appraising them with one measurer out of the question, there is almost no merit in troubling ourselves to pick one out as the so-called winner. Yet we all are, despite being well acquainted with such fact, never less eager for the naming of each award. And in stead of celebrating one another with undue contentment by such national awards where all eyes are but on actors/actresses, Asian movies industry should have made a better use of vanity and sobriety by reflecting on their established inferiority to the Western, the reason of which lies not in either actors or actresses but, most likely, in directors, scripts and most of the rest of the crew, making their best movies but intermittent motion pictures.

aalhl Done! Thank you so much for sharing the Come To Play translations and the heads-up on my posting boo-boo (heh). So cute that she thinks of Gong Yoo as practically a 'girlfriend.' :lol: It's nice that they've always been up-front about their platonic closeness, dating back from their interviews during "Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy" till the present. Weren't they together on that vacation in Jeju Island that started the Gong Yoo-Im SooJung rumors? Hee. Can't wait for him to finish his military service and be back in the limelight. Please continue posting Gong-Gong stuff whenever you can, seeing them is always a treat (esp to their shippers I bet^^).

linthao You're very welcome. :) HyoJin's certainly been busier than usual these past couple of months, what with finishing 3 movies in 2008 plus the requisite promo activities. And we still have one last thing to look forward to: the Korea Film Awards in Dec.

mandalaywith Wow, you're so lucky to have seen so many stars up close! Thanks for the clip. ^_^

And thanks also to rubie-hunnie for the updates and additional VODs on (1) the Audi accident and (2) Blue Dragon Awards.

On the (1) topic: You know, I was also puzzled why most English-language K-news websites/blogs didn't pick up on it; it was ALL OVER the Korean news portals for 2 days (sorry, the reason I didn't post it in the News thread was because I wasn't 100% confident about my translation, so I was waiting for confirmation from a credible news source). I guess since only minor injuries were involved, the news agencies (except one) ultimately didn't deem the story newsworthy. Or if I'm being a conspiracy theorist here, maybe Audi called in a few favors to at least lessen their embarrassment internationally. I'm just relieved it wasn't worse than it was. It would've been awful had ordinary people been seriously hurt because of shoddy planning/labor, but imagine the sh!tstorm if the casualties included VIPs (actors, singers, foreign businessmen, etc). Kim HyeSoo in particular looked pretty shaken (esp in this YTN Star video). I'm glad to see that she recovered enough to host the Blue Dragon Awards (for the nth time!) with characteristic aplomb.

Which brings me to (2): Thanks for the innolifeTV vid. No matter how I might disagree with an award-giving body's results or get bored with the ceremony's length and inane presenters' banter, the starstruck fan in me just loooves seeing all the actors in their sparkly shiny glamorous red carpet finery. :lol: Most of the guys looked so dapper in their tuxes (at least there weren't any WTF-were-they-thinking?! Jo InSung/So JiSub/Hyun Bin outfits of yesteryear lol) and most of the ladies were lovely. I thought HyoJin's dress was pretty, though the nude color kinda washed her out and it's disappointingly tamer than what I usually expect from her (plus Choi JiWoo already wore it for the "Star's Lover" poster tsk tsk). I was a little bummed that she lost, but not too much, since I've liked Son YeJin since "Alone in Love" (and looking at the breakdown of the jury's vote, she didn't really stand a chance. She was 3rd, Kim YunJin was 2nd, but they were both way behind SYJ). It's wonderful enough to see her and her costars and director recognized (Girl Power woohoo!^^) even though the film didn't make much money (unlike, say, "My Wife Got Married" and "Rough Cut"). I made cuts of the Best Screenplay and Best New Director wins because it was delightful to see HyoJin, Seo Woo and Hwang WooSeulHye crying+laughing from happiness and Park ChanWook beaming like the proud mentor he is. They were obviously thrilled for Lee KyungMi, who pulled off an upset win when everyone expected Na HongJin of "The Chaser" to get Best New Director. Looks like "Crush & Blush" was really a labor of love for them. (Here's wishin' and hopin' that she'll get nominated again at the Baeksang and Grand Bell Awards next year; "Crush & Blush" didn't make the cut-off for 2008.)

Of course I knew you were rooting for NomNomNom! (is the earth round? :lol: ) I'm sure you're pleased that it racked up the most number of awards (including Best Director for Kim JiWoon--too bad he wasn't there). Sucks that I can't understand Korean, there was this part where MC Jung JoonHo seemed to be indulging in some insider nudge-nudge teasing with Song KangHo/Jung WooSung/Lee ByungHun (who looked HAWT in glasses, be still my heart). Pabo me, I should've made you a cut of the Best Actor announcement and LBH/Song YoonAh co-presenting before deleting the video from my hard drive, miane. But I did make a cut of the red carpet segment at the beginning of the show, you're welcome to share it in the LBH thread (and elsewhere):

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6SVWgecYLU] [MegaUpload] [MediaFire] [SendSpace]

Star turnout was high, so all in all (give or take the Wonder Girls/Joo JiHoon singing suckage) it was a decent watch. On to the next awards show...

revol Interesting post! Well, if we're going to be nitpicky about it, the concept of 'award shows' is in itself absurd because each performance/movie is unique: Who's to quantify that a comedic performance is better or worse than a dramatic one, or a small miserabilist indie compared to a crowd-pleasing blockbuster? Apples and oranges, right? But it's done anyway, ergo the existence of film/TV awards.

Every award-giving body will always have its own biases and politics (some more blatant than others). Even Western ones. (Aside: I follow the Oscar race annually, and it's fascinating how the convergence of merit, buzz, campaigning, marketing, studio release decisions, timing, past snubs, perceived "due"-ness, personality, prejudice, box office, rumor-mongering--results in a winner.) I also don't agree with the generalization about Western cinema's "established superiority" to Asian cinema; as with every country's cinema, there will always be crap mixed with quality (in slightly differing ratios), but then that's a different topic altogether. :)

Going back to Korean awards in particular, these words (from 2 K-cinema reviewers I respect) are telling:

Personally, I feel that the most important value of film awards ceremonies, aside from their glitter, is in establishing a history of achievement that later generations can back on. In future years, cinema fans will be able to look at the awards choices as a rough guide of how films were judged by contemporary critics and viewers. It can also serve as a useful (if incomplete) list of films to watch in order to get a sense of Korean cinema's past achievements.

Judged by these criteria, Korea's established film awards ceremonies fail the test of usefulness. Throughout their history, government interference and organizational mismanagement have resulted in a list of awardees that owe as much to personal/political connections as to artistic achievement. The Korean public seems to recognize this, and the awards ceremonies -- though followed on TV and covered in the press -- have nowhere near the influence on ordinary viewers that awards in other countries do.

I only follow one awards ceremony with interest: the Pusan Film Critics Awards. Established in 2000, this young awards ceremony is run by a small but independent-minded group of critics based in Busan. Each year they announce their choices shortly before the opening of the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF), and a ceremony is then held at the festival to present the prizes. Their choices are not swayed by popular opinion, but represent a thoughtful and serious attempt to judge the greatest achievements of each year. --Darcy Paquet, Koreanfilm.org

The Baeksang Arts Awards have always been one of the most important Awards ceremonies in Korean Cinema (and TV), ever since their beginning in the mid 60s. Although not as 'fair' as the Busan Film Critics' Association Awards, or the Critics Association, they're a little less influenced by behind the scenes politics compared to the other big two (Grand Bell and Blue Dragon), as their choices in nominees and winners every year show. --X, Twitch

I look at awards the same way I do ratings or box office--not really a measure of quality, but a tangible reward to the actors/directors/writers/crew for their hard work. It has value to the recipient because it's an acknowledgement by one's peers in the industry, and it carries a certain cachet that furthers one's career.

Taking these awards ceremonies (esp the TV ones--which are little more than glorified company-sponsored pats-on-the-back) with a grain (nay, a boulder) of salt, most of the time I don't get affected by nominations+results anymore. Of course there a few notable exceptions so RIDICULOUS and UNFAIR (thank you caps lock :lol: ) that made my blood boil, like low-rating mania dramas "Goodbye Solo"/"Mixed-up Investigative Agency"/"Devil"/"Que Sera Sera" being shut out of all categories in their own bloody network awards, Uhm TaeWoong ("Resurrection") losing the Baeksang Best Actor, Kim MyungMin ("White Tower") losing the MBC Daesang to Bae YongJoon ("Legend"), etc. Which just goes to show that each time I think I'm a cynical, above-it-all viewer who's aware that these awards aren't the be-all and end-all, a tiny fangirly portion of my cold, cold heart proves me wrong.

You know, I don't begrudge upper tier A-listers their recurrent appearances on the nominees list. Anyone who watches the work of Song KangHo, Choi MinShik, Seol KyungGu, Jeon DoYeon, Moon Sori et al know they deserve to be upper tier A-listers. They may not hit bulls-eye every.single.time, but they consistently churn out good-->great-->brilliant performances. I mean, look at them: in a looks-obsessed culture, NONE of them are conventionally attractive (hell, those top 3 guys are plain-lookin' ajusshis) yet they rose to the top of their craft through sheer talent. It's one of the things I love about Korean cinema--that the B~C-listers may squabble over which pretty face is the current CF Queen or Reigning Pop Tart or Trendy Drama Popular Couple, but the A-list ranks remain a largely unruffled meritocracy.

Do I think Jeon DoYeon deserved her countless awards last year for "Secret Sunshine"? Yes I do. Do I think some (not all) of the Korean award-giving bodies were prejudiced by her Cannes win? Yes I do. Does that take away from the transcendence of her performance? No it does not. (In a downside to 2007's embarrassment of riches, so far she's been snubbed this year for "My Dear Enemy" despite unanimous critical raves. Most probably the award-giving bodies feel that "she won too recently/let's give others a chance"--if JDY gives an awesome performance every year, in a purely merit-based system, she should win/get nominated every year. But of course, that's not gonna happen.)

Re "Welcome to the big leagues, kiddo" wins: That's exactly what happened with Kim AhJoong ("200 Pound Beauty") and Yoon EunHye ("Coffee Prince"), imo. Their acting showed marked improvement compared to their previous projects, and it worked in the context of the film/drama as evidenced by the multitudes of fans they gained afterwards. Textbook star-making performance. But by proclaiming them Best Actress (which to me was more a reflection of mainstream appeal/zeitgeist), they instantly became over-rewarded and overrated. The same rationale (albeit to a lesser extent) applies to Kim MinHee's upset Baeksang Best Actress win over JDY. It was a mini-success-story slash stamp-of-approval for a girl who was a bad actress for so long, but worked hard to improve post-"Goodbye Solo"; plus she was great in "Hellcats." But not as great as JDY in "Secret Sunshine."

As for "box office translates to awards": there are passionate film fans who believe "King and the Clown" and "The Chaser" deserved their awards. ;) I'm not a huge fan of either, but I think they were fine films. And since they're inspirational in The Little Movie That Could way (low-budget, no name stars), they're not good examples of the point you're making. But your point stands, that box office/ratings are definitely a factor in awards (case in point: "May 18", which was a box office hit AND got a lot of Blue Dragon noms last year...for shame! Gawd I hated that movie :crazy: ).

In addition, Kim YoonSeok has been scooping up almost all Best Actor trophies in sight, not because "The Chaser" is a hit (or not just), but because he truly deserves to win. An unsung character actor toiling all these years finally getting accolades for his amazing performance? Is pretty damn cool.

Which is a reminder that for every win that I feel "meh" about, there's Moon Sori winning for "A Good Lawyer's Wife" and "Oasis", Bae Doona winning for "Take Care of My Cat," Kim JiSoo winning for "This Charming Girl", Jung YooMi winning for "Blossom Again," Shin HaKyun winning for "Save the Green Planet," Hong SangSoo movies winning Best Pic. All these are atypical wins--they didn't follow the 3 narratives you mentioned (dominance-of-big-stars, or birth-of-a-new-star, or riding-the-box-office-wave). So yeah, I celebrate the rare times when they do get it right. :w00t:

But all these issues aside, I don't think they really apply to Gong HyoJin; I disagree that she's 'ill-fated' award-wise. Let's face it, "Family Ties" is the first movie (after a long string of mediocre projects) which made use of her considerable acting chops, so it's not like she was being unfairly snubbed before it. "Family Ties" got her glowing reviews, a shared Best Actress award from Thessaloniki Film Festival, and a Best Actress nom from Korea Film Awards--it was a pretty good haul for a young actress in 1/3 of an ensemble movie starring a topnotch cast. I look at that movie as the turning point of her career: the industry took notice of her again, and she smartened up and started picking (or getting offered?) interesting projects with good directors. She then got nominated for her supporting turns in "Happiness" and "M" but didn't win (which is ok by me--the perfs were good but not mind-blowing).

"Crush & Blush" checklist: It's the first movie she's carried as lead, it's a low-budget small film whose only claim to fame is that it's produced by Park ChanWook (GHJ and Lee JongHyuk aren't exactly big stars/draws, and the other 2 are newbies), the adjective it's been most described as is "strange", it wasn't a hit. Dude, the fact that she got nominated for Best Actress AT ALL--much less twice!--is a freakin' miracle. ;) It can only be because she's THAT good. At least I hope so. Can't wait to watch it.

She's slowly but surely building a solid filmography as a Serious Actress, and imo the critical recognition she's gotten so far has been more or less proportional to her efforts (trophies or no trophies).

(Oh, and a more significant reason why I'm chill with the Blue Dragon results is because I haven't seen all the nominated perfs yet (just "Seven Days" and "Forever the Moment"), so I have no right to judge at this point who's deserving and who isn't and whether or not anyone got robbed.)

The only GHJ+awards-related thing that upset me is that she didn't get a Best Actress nom for "Thank You" from Baeksang (incidentally the only non-network-affiliated award-giving body for TV, hence the prestige). In my opinion (which is admittedly biased, but not OVERLY biased lol), she gave the best female Drama performance of 2007. Given my healthy suspicion of award-giving bodies, I really do subscribe to the cliche "It's an honor just to be nominated" (winning is just a bonus). Which is why her snub rankled--I can deal with her not winning, but come on, not even a nomination? Gaahhh.

Which is my veeeeery lengthy (sorry :sweatingbullets: ) and rambling way of saying that yes I know so many factors affect awards other than merit, that intrinsically they don't really matter to me as a viewer. BUT they matter to the actor/actress/director/writer/cinematographer/composer/etc I'm rooting for. So if winning makes them happy, then I get happy for them too. So I just say "Fighting!" and cross my fingers.^^

Guest mandalaywith

hi :rolleyes:

KBS Morning NewsTime Entertainment-29th Blue Dragon Film Awards Report Vod

Time-7:21

lastweek thursday i'm attentted 29th blue dragon film awards.

i'm this vod in 2 time come.omg~ : :blink::)

This vod in Gong Hyo Jin come.

vod credit- http://blog.daum.net/mandalaywith @ soompi

Vod in update in youtube.go to watch here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wi1ev1mg0c

TA_2008-11-25.16-33-4-1.jpg

Teaser Video [elleTV] [elleTV] [YouTube]

Elle Magazine has raised a total of 232 million won for the Share Happiness charity project, one of whose aims is to provide impoverished children a warm meal during the holidays. 102 stars plus 77 designer brands (including Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Gap, Burberry, Mary Kay, Estee Lauder, Honda, Swarovski, Motorola) took part in the pictorial shot by 36 top photographers, as well as the online charity auction running through December 5~28 (which is expected to raise even more money). All proceeds will go to non-profit relief organizations Good Neighbors and Compassion Korea which will donate food and medicine to 3,500 malnourished children in Tanzania and the Philippines, and in places where infant mortality is high, financial support for mothers and children for 2 years. Computer education/training for young people in Jharkhand and West Bengal, India will also be funded to help them achieve a measure of economic independence.

Participating stars: (a.k.a. "Beautiful Supporters" --Elle)

Kang SooYeon, Kang JiHwan, Go JoonHee, Gong HyoJin, Kim HeeAe and Jung YoonKi, Kim HyungGyu and Kim YoonAh, Kim JiHo, Kim SunAh, Kim JungHwa, Kim SoYeon, Kim SungSoo, Kim YoungKwang, Kim Sarang, Kim HyoJin, Kim HaNeul, Daniel Henney, Dynamic Duo, Do JiWon, Marco, Moon Sori, Park ShiYeon, Park YeJin, Park YongHa, Park EunHye, Park JungAh and Ahn HyeKyung, Park JiYoon, Park HanByul, Bae Doona, Byun JungMin, Byun JungSoo and daughter JungWon, Lee KyungMin, SHINee and Ha SangBaek, Seo InYoung, Son Dambi, Song YoonAh, Sooyoung (SNSD), Shin MinAh, Ahn JungHwan and wife Lee HyeWon and daughter RiWon, Uhm JungHwa, Uhm JiWon, Yeh JiWon, Oh SangJin, Oh SeungHyun, Oh YeonSoo, Wang Bitna, Yoon SoYi, Yoon JungHee, Lee KiWoo, Lee BeomSoo, Lee ByungHun, Lee BoYoung, Lee SeonGyun, Lee Sora, Lee YeonHee, Lee YoWon, Lee JungJae, Lee JungJin, Lee JongHyuk, Lee Jin, Lee CheonHee, Lee Hana, Lee HyeYoung, Jang MiHee, Jang GeunSeok, Jang YoonJu, , Jeon InHwa, Jeon HyeJin, Jung KyungHo, Jung YooMi, Jung HyeYoung and Sean, Jo DongHyuk, Jo SungMo, Ji JinHee, Cha SeungWon, Cha SooYeon, Cha YeRyun, Chae ShiRa, Choi YeoJin, Ha SukJin, Ha JungWoo, Han JiMin, Han JiHye, Han ChaeYoung, Horan, Hwangbo, Hwang JungEum, Hwang JiHyun, Nam SangMi.

081205_share01.jpg

081205_share02.jpg

081205_share03.jpg

081205_share04.jpg

http://www.elle.co.kr/event/eventView.html...=20081204162606

http://www.elle.co.kr/images/swf/bn_auction.swf

http://www.goodneighbors.org/

http://www.nanum1004.org/

http://www.compassion.or.kr/

Via ELLE Korea + Newsen + Break News

Translation by melusine <pls correct me for any errors>

happy400yw4.jpg

melusine-ssi, it's always, always, always a pleasure reading your kilometric posts :wub: yupyup! I'm such a sucker for lengthy and even long-er responses ^^.. I read everything and you never fail to make everyone here feel so appreciated and important, no matter how brief their posts were.

Really appreciate the highlight on the Share Happinese special charity event, that is awesome and BH is participating as well. When it comes to humanitarian cause & goodwill activities.. it's the one thing I so love to read about Byunghun-ssi. Thanks so much, I would never know about this and you've shared such detailed info which.. as always.. I'm copying back to BH's place :blush: .. our utmost gratitude for a great highlight! :wub:

Btw.. here's a Variety review on Miss Carrot. But fret not.. it's not as bad as the title sounds :mellow: and besides.. Derek Elley is renowned for being a particularly tough reviewer. :sweatingbullets:

November 26, 2008

"Crush and Blush"

Black comedy of emotional vengeance is reminiscent of "Oldboy" but sadly runs out of steam halfway through

Written by Derek Elley

The spirit (but not the intellectual rigor) of "Oldboy" helmer Park Chan-wook is strongly evident in the clumsily titled "Crush and Blush," a black comedy of distaff emotional vengeance that starts running out of gas at the halfway mark. Produced by Park himself through his shingle, Moho Film, and directed by alumna Lee Kyoung-mi, making her feature debut, this has potential as a fest sidebar item on the strength of Park's rep but not enough variation in its concept to break out farther. Locally, pic has clocked up a so-so 500,000 admissions since mid-October release.

Film is a showcase for actress Gong Hyo-jin (one of the investigating girls in high school ghost story "Memento Mori"), who has a field day wearing bulky duds and Plain Jane makeup as doofus Yang Mi-suk. Demoted from teaching Russian at a high school to teaching English (a language she can't even understand) at a junior high school, Yang is a seething pool of resentment whose face unfortunately turns bright red when she blushes -- which is often. (Pic's Korean title translates as "Miss Carrot.")

Yang carries a torch for fellow teacher Seo Jong-cheol (Lee Jong-hyeok), under whom she studied 10 years ago. Problem is, her beautiful and popular fellow teacher, Lee Yu-ri (newcomer Hwang Woo-seul-hye), is canoodling with the married Seo -- apparently with the knowledge of Seo's wife, ice queen Eun-gyo (Bang Eun-jin), who wants a divorce.

Still dreaming she stands more than an iceberg's chance in hell, Yang enlists the help of the couple's naive daughter, student Jong-heui (Seo Woo), to torpedo the relationship. Her plan involves delaying the divorce (so Seo won't be free to remarry) and then screwing with Lee's mind in Internet chatrooms.

The very Park-ian idea of centering on a character who, by all reasonable terms, is obsessive to the point of madness -- plus the very misanthropic tone -- makes the movie's first half a treat. Gong's clever portrayal of her character's mood switches -- spinning on a dime between nice and nasty -- and the quirky music and direction give pic a very different flavor from that of most South Korean comedies, even the blacker ones.

However, when Yang turns against Seo at the hour mark, the tone starts to pall. The finale, with all characters having it out, courtroom-style, in the school's language lab, is needlessly repetitive.

Casting is fine, with Bang coming through strongly in the later stages as Seo's wife. Role of Seo is weakly written.

Park himself can be briefly glimpsed in a walk-on, and "The Host" helmer Bong Joon-ho cameos as a doctor. English subtitles on print caught were poor, harming full comprehension of the plot and not fully reflecting the humor in the dialogue.

Source: Variety Asia Online

http://varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/7566/

^rubie Thanks for the review (and the kind words hug.gif). I'd been wondering when (or if ever) Variety was gonna post one (whereas Hollywood Reporter's review came out right after PIFF). I'm not surprised at the content, I expected the movie to be divisive. I'm just glad to read that it's a "showcase" for HyoJin and that it's different from most pedestrian comedies/star vehicles that have unfortunately been littering the K-cinema landscape since the Hallyu bubble burst. My enthusiasm to see it hasn't been dampened one bit.^^ I really really hope they fix the subs on the DVD though; for such a (supposedly) dialogue-driven black comedy, subs can make-or-break our (=non-Korean speakers) enjoyment of the film.

Yeah, it's great that so many stars are participating in the Share Happiness campaign. After all, Christmas should be a season of love and giving. :)

'봉사는 긴 시간을 들여 묵묵하고 꾸준하게' -공효진

공효진 Share Happiness

TA_2008-12-01.14-47-43-1.jpg

TA_2008-12-01.14-47-44-2.jpg

http://old.elle.co.kr/people/PeopleView.html?AI_IDX=5334

'제 9회 대한민국영상대전' 9th Korea Visual Arts Festival

~hosted by the Korea Broadcasting Camera Directors Association (KBCDA)

mimg_award.jpg

http://www.tvcamera.or.kr/award/award_main.asp?award_id=9

27 Nov 2008, 1:30pm - SBS Gonggae Hall, Deungchon-dong, Seoul

200811271426581115_1.jpg

200811271421531112_1.jpg

20081127163924385851tt3.jpg

pp08112700049in3.jpg

200811271432261117_1.jpg

200811271451441113_1.jpg

1904813999166gz7.jpg

News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News / News

포토제닉상 / Photogenic-sang / Photogenic Award (by Category 부문)

Actor/Actress, Film (영화배우 부문): Ha JungWoo (The Chaser), Gong HyoJin (Crush & Blush)

Actor/Actress, TV "Talent" (탤런트 부문): Baek IlSeob, Kim HyeSeon

Variety Show (예능 부문): Kang HoDong

Singer/s (가수 부문): Wonder Girls, Epik High, Jang YoonJung

Comedian/s (개그맨 부문): Oo Chat Sa team

Announcers/MCs: Son BeomSoo (KBS), Choi YoungAh (SBS), Choi HyunJung (MBC)

Best Film: The Divine Weapon

Best Drama: King Sejong the Great

Best Variety Show: Kim JungEun's Chocolate

Lifetime Achievement Award: Kim SangJin

<Complete list of winners>