[Official] JYPE USA Tour Auditions 2009 [10/25 - 11/24]

Guest love=music=life

Guest love=music=life

All OFFICIAL information for ALL cities posted here

*** LAST Update! NOV 2nd 10:45AM PST

UPDATES & TIPS for ALL Locations!

• -You are only allowed to audition for ONE category. If you prepared for more than one, just do whichever one you are most confident in.
  • -They will try their best to make it limited to 10 people at a time in the auditioning room.
  • -If you are auditioning in a group, you do not have to tell the staff in the auditioning room. Just go up together when it is your turn. However, tell the staffs that give you your numbers so that you will be in the same set of 10 auditionees
  • -Online applicants will get priority when registering, HOWEVER, you will get new numbers when you register the day of the auditions.
  • -Please don't forget to fill out the "survey" asking you where you heard about the auditions from. AND don't forget to check the soompi box! ;)
  • -Be prepared to wait for a LONG time. So bring water and maybe even some snacks, just in case your wait time goes through the lunch hour... (We had a lot of hungry auditionees in LA)
  • -For ALL categories, there are NO self-introductions. So as soon as you step in front of the camera, start performing.
  • -Speaking of camera, look at the camera throughout your audition. If you are not used to singing/dancing/acting while looking at a camera, practice so you don't get camera shy the day of the audition.
  • -You may or may not be given an entire minute to perform so don't feel bad if they cut you off really quick.
  • -The two OFFICIAL JYPE staff members running the auditions are the Head Manager and Assistant Head Manager of the Casting & Training Team, so although they may not be the only ones making the selection decisions, you most definitely want to impress them.
  • -Dance auditionees: Please know which track your song is on AND if you can please cut your music to start where your dancing starts because the staff may or may not be able to fast forward your music for you.
  • -Models: You will be asked to walk and to do 3 different poses at the end...
  • -The final selection process will not begin until the ENTIRE Audition Tour is over.
  • -Those who have been selected will be contacted via phone or email. They will not be announced publically.
  • -PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE memorize your lyrics or monologues!
  • -Unfortunately you will not be able to keep your numbers as souvenirs because they will be reusing them at the following audition locations.
  • -Make friends with your fellow auditionees. It will make the auditions a LOT less nerve wrecking if you do.

I will no longer be updating this post! Any posts I make after the last update will not representative of JYPE but rather of my own opinion! Good luck to all auditionees! And I will most likely be back on soompi next time JYPE has auditions in LA so "see" ya'll then!

Read all information in this first post before asking any questions!

Hello,

For those of you who don't know me, I am a volunteer who has worked with the JYPE staff for the past 2 US Tour auditions in publicizing and giving YOU official information directly from JYPE regarding the auditions.

The reason why I haven't made this "Official" thread yet is cause I didn't know if I was going to be working on staff until I got a call last night at midnight from the Casting Team managers.

So yes, I will be giving you guys all of the latest updates and will also be answering all of your questions.

Before I start blabbing let me note, things such as the audition procedure are subject to change or vary depending on the audition location!

In the following "first post" there are links to the official event website, screencaps of the website, SS links for the application, free excel-file compatible software, and most importantly the FAQ section.

The FAQ section is a compliation of all the frequently asked questions that I have received during the past 2 years. PLEASE read them before asking any further questions.

Lastly, please DO NOT PM me regarding the auditions, I will read EVERY post in this thread so if your question is not answered it is probably bc it has been answered in the FAQ section. AND don't forget to email in your application to usaaudition@jype.com by the day before your audition.

Thanks!

Chloe JN

PS. Go RSVP for the Official Facebook event : HERE

Read all information in this first post before asking any questions!

copz.jpg

CLICK ON THE FLYER ABOVE TO DIRECT YOU TO THE AUDITION WEBSITE

* If you are unable to view the website, refer to the screencaps listed below

Official Website Screen Caps:

English & Chinese

Korean & Chinese

Official Application Download

Sendspace Link: HERE

* If you don't have Microsoft Excel and are unable to open the file. Download Open Office (HERE). It is a FREE safe software program that is able to read the Excel file.

LOCATION ANNOUNCEMENTS!

HAWAII Sunday, October 25th

Waikiki Resort Hotel

460 Koa Ave

Honolulu, HI 96815

10:00AM - 3:00PM

LOS ANGELES Saturday, October 31st

Aroma Sports Center 5 floor, Sky Hall

3680 Wilshire Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90005

9:00AM - 2:00PM

SAN FRANCISCO Wednesday, November 4th

Korea Times Community Hall

8134 Capwell Dr.

Oakland, CA 94621

3:00PM - 8:00PM

SEATTLE Saturday, November 7th

KOAM TV Hall

32008 32nd Ave

S Federal Way, WA 98001

9:00AM - 4:00PM

VANCOUVER Wednesday, November 11th

Central College Small Auditorium

314 Agnes St.

New Westminster B.C. Canada V3L 1E8

DENVER Friday, November 13th

Bethany Lutheran Church

4500 E. Hampden Ave.

Cherry Hills Village, CO 80013

CHICAGO Sunday, November 15th

Foster Bank Community Hall

5225 N Kedzie Ave

Chicago, IL 60625

WASHINGTON D.C. Wednesday, November 18th

Korea Times

7601 Little River

Turnpike, Annandale VA, 22003

4:00PM - 7:00PM

NEW YORK Saturday, November 21st

9:00AM - 2:00PM

TBA

TORONTO Tuesday, November 24th

Korea Times Dosan Hall

287 Bridgeland Ave

Toronto, Ontario, M6A, 126

Answering YOUR Questions:

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 8

Round 9

Round 10

Round 11

Round 12

Round 13

Round 14

Round 15

Round 16

Round 17

Round 18

Round 19

Round 20

Round 21 (Last Round!)

Volunteer Application:

Requirements: The application is in Korean, therefore you must be able to fill out the application. So you must have some understanding for written and spoken Korean.

Download the Application: HERE

Email your application to : kheewon@jype.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:

Regarding the Applications/Applying:

Q: What category do rappers audition for?

A: You will audition for the singer category.

Q: Do I need to provide a profile picture?

A: No, they will be video recording all performances, so no pictures will be required. However, if you are auditioning for the Modeling category, you may bring in your portfolio if you wish, it is not required though…

Q: Do I have to live in the respective cities to audition?

A: No, you do not need to be a “local” to audition. Therefore, you may fly in from another state to audition, it doesn’t matter, as long as you are there for the audition.

Q: Nationality?

A: This is best explained by example… My nationality is Korean American because my ethnicity is Korean but I am a US citizen.

Q: If I want to audition for both singing and dancing, how will I write that on the application?

A: Write both in the given space.

Q: I want to apply to be a composer or lyricist but there is no category for that…

A: Your only option is to go through with a normal JYP audition in which you can either mail in your submission or email it to them. For more information go to the Auditioning in General Thread.

Q: What do I write for the Experience portion of the application?

A: Anything from instruments played to teams/groups you’ve been in to art academies you’ve attended, etc

Q: What if you don’t know your measurements? (height, weight, etc.)

A: Estimate or leave the section blank.

Q: Position vs. Participation City?

A: An example would be Position: Singer and Participation Region: LA

Q: Participation Motivation?

A: Write why you are auditioning…

Q: Is there an age limit?

A: You must be born between 2000 to 1982 (i.e, 9 to 27), however if you younger than 14 years old you need parental permission.

Q: If I’m younger than 14 do my parents have to be at the audition?

A: No, you just need there permission.

Regarding Preparation:

Q: Do I have to bring my own music?

A: For dancers, you are asked to bring your own music however, you are not required to. If you don’t have your own music, they will have dance music ready. For models, they will have music for you to walk to.

Q: Will I be able to bring an instrumental? Will there be mics?

A: No, all singers will be required to audition a’cappella (without music) and there will be NO mics.

Q: I don’t feel comfortable singing a’cappella…

A: Only solution is to get a friend to beatbox for you…

Q: I want to rap and sing… Will I be able to do both?

A: You might not be given the opportunity to do both so I suggest you pick a song that has both rap and singing parts.

Q: Can I sing in a different language?

A: Yes, you may sing in whatever language.

Q: How much time will I be given to perform?

A: It will depend on the staff members… It can range from 1 minute to them asking you for more than you prepared. I suggest preparing as much as you can.

Q: What should I wear?

A: Whatever suits YOU best. Just wear something that is YOUR style. Casual or formal, it doesn’t matter. Whatever you are comfortable in. (I.e., GIRLS if you don’t know how to walk in heels, please don’t wear them, because you can tell when a girl knows how to walk in heels or not…)

Q: If I am auditioning for the MC/VJ category, what am I suppose to prepare?

A: Just some typical MC dialog, like introducing a song or introducing a certain artist, etc..

Q: If I am auditioning for the Modeling category, what will I be asked to do?

A: On the day of the audition, you will be asked to walk to some music and to show several poses (as if taking a picture)

Q: Can I sing my own original song?

A: Yes, you can sing another singers song or you may sing your own.

Q: Do I have to choreograph my dance routine?

A: No, you can copy someone else’s choreography, you can freestyle, it doesn’t matter.

Regarding the Audition:

Q: Where are the auditions being held? Any more cities?

A: The location and dates are listed in the flyer above. For now, those are the only cities schduled for the JYP USA Tour Auditions 2009

Q: Will JYP (Park Jin Young) be at the auditions?

A: No, the auditions will be run by the JYPE Artist Training and Development Team.

Q: Are the people running the auditions judges?

A: No, well not really. The people running the auditions are there simply to record all the auditioners and take the footage with them to Korea. There the footage will be evaluated by the rest of the JYP Casting Team (which includes JYP himself).

Q: Can I audition for more than one category?

A: Yes, BUT they might only allow you to audition for one. It will depend on the turn out on the day of the audition and the amount of time they rented out the location for…

Q: Can I audition with someone?

A: Yes, you do not have to audition alone. Also, the people you are auditioning with don’t necessarily have to audition.

Q: Is there a rhythm test?

A: No (refer to next question)

Q: I heard they made some people auditioning for a certain category, for say like modeling or acting, were asked to sing/dance?

A: After your performance, the staff members may ask you to try a different category if they wish to see more from you.

Q: Do they prefer singers to dancers?

A: No, there is no favoritism for any specific category

Q: What time will the auditions end?

A: It will depend on the number for auditioners on the day of the audition.

Q: How many people will be in the auditioning room?

A: It will depend on the location that the audition will take place in. For the March auditions in LA, they did 10 people at a time in a private room. However in 2008, they did it with 200 people in a room with a small stage in which you had to perform in front of everybody. So, you will find out the day of the auditions.

Q: Will the staff members ask questions?

A: They may or may not. If they do, just be yourself and be honest.. :)

Q: If auditioning in a group will we be given more time?

A: Not necessarily.

Q: I can’t make it at the beginning of the auditions, will I be able to audition if I come later?

A: Yes

Q: Will we all be required to stay till the end of the auditions?

A: No, only if you are asked to by the staff members.

Q: Will the people working the auditions be able to speak English?

A: Yes, most of the workers will be Korean speakers however, I’m more comfortable with English so just find me :) I’m tall…

Q: Will my friends/family be able to watch my audition?

A: No, it will be a closed audition

Regarding the Results:

Q: Will there be a 2nd round?

A: No, the day of the audition will be the one and only “round”. Last year, those we wished to see more of were asked (privately) to stay until the end of the auditions to be filmed doing all categories. However, just because you were not asked to stay doesn’t mean you didn’t make it… don’t worry.

Q: When will they announce who gets accepted?

A: All accepted trainees will be contacted privately by December 15, 2009, after all footage evaluations are made by the JYP Casting Team in Korea. So nothing will be announced the day of the audition.

Q: How many people are they going to accept?

A: There is no set number, therefore, they might not pick a single person…

Q: What happens if you are accepted?... (moving to Korea? when will you debut?... etc

A: You will be given the opportunity to participate in the specialized training system of JYP Entertainment as a trainee. All specific information will be given specifically to the accepted applicant.

Tips Specifically for the JYP Tour Auditions:

1. Bring a copy of the application to the auditions so that you don’t have to fill one out on the day of the audition. It will save both you and the staff a lot of time.

2. Stay near where numbers are being called because if you miss your number you’re going to have to wait a bit to get in. Also, the staff members may or may not have a microphones so it may be difficult to hear your number if you are not nearby.

3. Test out your CD on a regular CD player of some sort to make sure that it works.

4. Be ready to wait for a long period of time. Last year LA had a almost 400 turn out and the wait was LONG. I suggest bringing a bottle of water or even a sac lunch to eat while waiting so that you don’t have to leave the site of the audition and to keep you pumped up and energized… you don’t want to burn out before you even get a chance to perform.

5. Be OVER-prepared. It can’t hurt…

6. Do some vocal warm-ups and stretching to relax your muscles. If you don’t know how to do vocal warm-ups try going to THIS WEBSITE so some simple female and male vocal warm-ups

7. Get enough sleep the night before!

8. Go to the Auditioning in General thread for a list of tips for auditioning in general :) at the bottom of the first post.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Munchkins

Yayy(:

Thanks for the info.

Questionn. :D

Can we audition for JYP on Oct. 31 AND SM on Nov. 15?

Or does JYP also have a contract saying we can't audition for another company for a month?

Do you know when were gunna get our numbers?

Yea i was wondering that myself. I says to submit application the day before the audition but I actually send in my application already :)

Thank you! This time im gonna make sure that im gonna audition! Hey love=music=life, are you gonna be volunteering for all the usa audition tours? Im gonna audition for the Nov 4th SF! [im gonna take leave from work heheheh....] if you are volunteering there, i'll see you there. [ wait are you in NY?]

btw, i read the FAQs, and we just send in our application right? we didn't need to include a video footage right?

Did anyone get a number yet? I just sent in mine. And I remember reading that if we don't know our height and weight we leave it blank right? { Im gonna get motivated and run like no tomorrow these days}

Good luck to everyone and i'll see you guys at the auditions~ in like a month ^_^

Guest kimchipoot

I originally thought that singer/dancer was one category but now that I've found it they're separate ones, if there's only time to audition for one category, should we just go with the one that we're better with?

Actually, is it a good idea to audition for a category that you don't have a lot of experience in? I was planning on audition singer/dancer but to be honest I'm just a beginner when it comes to singing. I don't sound bad, but it's obvious I haven't had much training. As for dancing I've had years of experience and it comes to me more naturally. Would it be better to only audition in dancing where I know I'll do well? Or should I audition for both to show that I'm a beginner/average singer and a good dancer? This only applies if they have time to see me audition for both categories, if not then I'll just stick with the dancing. Thanks so much for making this thread.

Ahhh I'm almost forgot. How do they feel about makeup? Do they mind natural makeup or would they rather see someone without it?

Guest xxguccixgirlxx

I really want to try out for the Acting Category, but I am confused on what type of script I should bring. Do I bring in my own script, or will the staff be providing a script of some sort?

^ I think you can also do Improv as well if I'm not mistaken. You can try that if you feel more comfortable doing that. But according to the audition page, there's no script that the judges will give you. Try to get a sample that allows you're comfortable with and allows you to be expressive, since in acting, expression is quite important. It also states that you need at least a minute's worth of what you'll act, which should be more than enough time for you to show off your acting skills that one tidbit I think.

Guest Nynaxoxo

Does this USA tour audition means global audition? What if a person who wants to audition out of USA but cannot afford to go USA to audition? No video auditions emailing? :mellow:

Guest jellotime91

question I asked twice and was not answered directly either time.. Do I print the form out and sign it or just type my name and send it in as the .xls it came as??

And, if my text goes outside the sides of the box but is viewable when the box is double-clicked, is that ok? what do I do to fix it if not?

question I asked twice and was not answered directly either time.. Do I print the form out and sign it or just type my name and send it in as the .xls it came as??

And, if my text goes outside the sides of the box but is viewable when the box is double-clicked, is that ok? what do I do to fix it if not?

me too..

i was wondering about this also.

Guest ginnytan208945

question...if you sent in your application would you get an email? or how long does it usually takes to get a response?when will the location be announced? thanks!

Guest j3ssicas

In the FAQ section, you mentioned about writing in a different song name. My question is where on the form does it ask for that? I don't see it. Am I supposed to write it in??

Guest rycekrispies1212

On the website, "dancer" is not listed under the audition categories. So is it included in "singer"?

If we want to audition as a singer, do we still have to prepare the acting/VJ/MC part and model part, as listed in the "Things to prepare for the audition" section?

Does emailing in an application get you an earlier number (you get to go earlier)? Or do they run the auditions based solely on first-come-first-serve to the audition venue?

Sorry I have so many questions... I appreciate you helping out! :)

Guest love=music=life

Answering Questions Round 1!

*** NOTE: Thanks for reading the FAQ section before asking questions!

good thread but you're not allowed to have any direct downloads.

Sorry but what is a direct download? Cause I've been doing the "official threads" for the past 2 years in the same manner and there were never any problems...

Can we audition for JYP on Oct. 31 AND SM on Nov. 15?

Or does JYP also have a contract saying we can't audition for another company for a month?

You can audition for both JYP and SM. There isn't any rule saying that you can't. :)

Do you know when were gunna get our numbers?

No I do not know when you will be getting your numbers. All I know is that you will be getting them before the day of your auditions :)

Hey love=music=life, are you gonna be volunteering for all the usa audition tours?

btw, i read the FAQs, and we just send in our application right? we didn't need to include a video footage right?

And I remember reading that if we don't know our height and weight we leave it blank right?

1. I will only be at the LOS ANGELES auditions... cause I have to go to school... I'd be awesome if I got to go with them to all of the auditions...

does it matter if we send the application in as a Microsoft word or excel document?

No, it doesn't matter

I originally thought that singer/dancer was one category but now that I've found it they're separate ones, if there's only time to audition for one category, should we just go with the one that we're better with?

Ahhh I'm almost forgot. How do they feel about makeup? Do they mind natural makeup or would they rather see someone without it?

1. If you are only allowed to do one, audition with what you are better at. You want to give us your "best self"

2. Makeup, just don't overdo it and I think it will be okay. Natural makeup is totally fine :)

Does this USA tour audition means global audition? What if a person who wants to audition out of USA but cannot afford to go USA to audition? No video auditions emailing? :mellow:

This audition thread is solely for the JYP USA Tour auditions. If you live elsewhere you can still submit audition materials to the JYPE offices. For more information on that refer to the FAQ section in the first post.

Guest love=music=life

Answering Questions Round 2!

1. You could either send the file with the typed in information or print it out, fill it out and scan it, and send the scan. HOWEVER, don't forget to bring a copy of your application with you to the auditions.

As for the text that goes outside the edges of the box... try formatting the box to have Text Wrap and that should take care of the problem.

Do you need to bring a CD of the background music of the song you're singing? @_@ I thought it was without...

No if you are singing, you are required to audition acappella (no music, just your voice)

question...if you sent in your application would you get an email? or how long does it usually takes to get a response?when will the location be announced? thanks!

I don't know how long the emails are going to take. As for the locations, I have been told that they are going to be released in about a week.

In the FAQ section, you mentioned about writing in a different song name. My question is where on the form does it ask for that? I don't see it. Am I supposed to write it in??

Sorry about that, I didn't notice that they changed the application! I'll remove that from the FAQ section to prevent further confusion.

On the website, "dancer" is not listed under the audition categories. So is it included in "singer"?

If we want to audition as a singer, do we still have to prepare the acting/VJ/MC part and model part, as listed in the "Things to prepare for the audition" section?

Does emailing in an application get you an earlier number (you get to go earlier)? Or do they run the auditions based solely on first-come-first-serve to the audition venue?

Sorry I have so many questions... I appreciate you helping out! :)

1. Dance is it's own category so putting Dancer as your position is fine :)

2. No, you do not have to prepare for the other categories. Just prepare for your own category.

3. I'm not 100% sure how they are going to run the auditions this year since apparently they are emailing you your numbers this year. In the past emailing your application just got you in the shorter line when registering on the day of the audition. So I guess it would get you an earlier number, HOWEVER we accept walk-ins and so yea... Just email your application, it's not that hard.

Archived