Taeyeon (snsd) Failure At Seoul Drama Awards 2009

Guest spuddevaughn

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest janieisvip

that sucks to be pitchy on a day that she performs with such a great seonbae singer like Park Hyo Shin. that dude's vocals are crazy good and for her to mess up...gosh that just really sucks.

Guest merlyunho

idk what to say.

i don't really call this with a bad performance.

it's not like she cracked up or something.

her voice is naturally a bit high, and hyoshin's voice is just, really really low.

i would say the bad perf was caused by the lack of practice and rehearsals.

cause it doesn't seem they've practiced or do some rehearsal together before. (maybe because of taeng's hectic schedule?

if they have done so, i'm pretty sure this won't happen.

i've seen a lot worse performances, and don't ask me to mention names. i'm not going to bash anyone here.

possible explanations:

1)She must have been nervous singing with such a great singer Hyo Shin...

2)whoever wrote the harmonizing part for her is a secret anti who screwed her over. (b/c her part was pretty whack..)

3) She couldnt hear herself sing....malfunctioning of sound bite...

4) of she's just tone deaf on her bad days.

--------

all these are possible explanations for this performance... but wow it must suck to sing next to a super perfect live performer ....She almost sounded Karaoke and amateur compared to him.

Anyway, she's young. She has a lot of time and room for growth so this mistake will just breeze over.

My point is that it's completely irrelevant that the song wasn't originally composed for two people to sing. Basically any ballad can be rearranged if need be and sung as a duet. Even if their voices aren't suitable for one another, it could have been pulled off better... a lot better. On Taeyeon's part, the harmonization wasn't the only thing that was working together - even her solo was pretty poor. She even failed to bring any kind of emotion to the song, which is something any good ballad singer does.

i'm sure the original composer of the song was ecstatic that their song was mangled into a ill-prepared duet. if you want to make an interesting rendition of a song... fine. but you're disrespecting the original composer when you just decide to stick two singers, probably unprepared, together and make them sing for an award ceremony.

i mean... the song is about loneliness. it doesn't make sense when they're singing together and harmonizing like it's some kind of love ballad. if you want to blame someone, blame the damn network. they probably wanted to add idol-power ratings by adding taeyeon and they decided to make the song a duet (with emphasis on both singers not just one) to raise ratings. someone probably needed to write in notes for harmony too since it seemed like taeyeon might have just played it by ear for the performance.

the duets she sang with lee juk, joo, kangta... she sounds good there. you know why? these are all songs written to be duets. she could look at the sheet music and practice the harmonies. snow flower... i've never heard anyone sing it like this so she had no point of reference.

bringing emotion to a song... she can do that. i've seen a lot of good singers like gummy, lyn, hwayobi give lackluster performances, usually when they make a bad song choice.

but what i've seen of taeyeon, she has a really good ear and a nice voice. if she were solo, i think she could contend with a lot of the other singers out there. don't trivialize her talent just because she's in a girl group. (and some of you out there criticizing taeyeon for only being the most talented only out of snsd would probably spazz out if we talked about your favorite boy band obsession like that.)

taeyeon is a good singer regardless. i've heard the original to this song a lot and i have to say i was surprised at this perf but we can all move on.

Wow the topic has so many replies :huh:

I think Taeyeon is a great singer. No matter how good you are, you are bound to mess up sometimes.

Moreover, she messed up during the harmonizing part. I always think that harmonizing is one of the hardest thing to do in singing cause not only do you have to listen to yourself but you also have to listen to the one singing the duet with you.

It's very easy to mess up. More practices with Park Hyo Shin would probably be better.

Her solo performance was great. but I wouldn't say she failed at singing the duet with PHS. -_-

There voices just wasn't in match with each other. Park Hyo shin's voice was great! lovely and deep.

While Taeyeon's voice was in a more high pitch. .....I'm sure she didn't messed up. Her voice is like that...

high and smoothing...yet very powerful~

They both are incredible singers! And I loved the songs that were sung during the performance.

Guest nad_donad

I think the title of this topic is way too strong........failure? fails miserably?

I've seen the performance, and I think it's totally fine...

Though I never heard the original song, I don't think it's a failure...

Maybe because the type of their voices didn't really match, so you see it as a bad performance...

Guest superjihyeee!

"vocals don't match" is not an excuse =_= even if vocals don't match, the song should still sound good. LOL. Anyways, I was surprised to hear that PHS did a duet with Taeyeon. Usually when he has a duet with a girl, her voice is really rich and soulful. Not saying that Taeyeon's isn't, but yeah. Her voice just sounded really immature compared to his.

Whatever, fans just need to stop making excuses and move on. It was a bad performance, and Taeyeon probably feels really bad about it, too. Singing with someone like PHS, and butchering it? :| I wouldn't be surprised if a news article came out that said that Taeyeon cried after the performance or something.

Guest GreenTeaBanana

um. that wasnt bad. i dont noe what yall are talking about.

i mean compared to a lot of other girl groups out there. and geez she was prolly nervous. cut her some slack.

the duet was hard on the ears... phs is a great singer.

taeyeon... :/ blah, it wasn't her song and she didn't seem prepared. sucks because phs is amazing.

i feel sorry for taengoo, i dont know about you but for a topic like this to gather so much replys/comments makes me feel bad. whenever taengoo gives an excellent performance, a typical thread would move to 2 or 3 pages. this already is on the 14th pg. sadly bad new sells more. i bet she feel really bad/stressed cuz a lot of ppl in korea are/were also criticizing her n some even bashed her (which is totally uncalled for). calling any performance a 'failure' in general is pretty hurtful. i hope taengoo's not feelin down because of this.

Yeah... ): The duet wasn't the greatest. I don't think it was that she was having microphone problems or she was just having an "off" day--maybe it's the key? I mean, she is singing an octave higher because she can't hit the low notes of the octave lower. Perhaps it'd have been better if they'd changed the key so both singers could meet in the middle (if that makes any sense).

i feel sorry for taengoo, i dont know about you but for a topic like this to gather so much replys/comments makes me feel bad. whenever taengoo gives an excellent performance, a typical thread would move to 2 or 3 pages. this already is on the 14th pg. sadly bad new sells more. i bet she feel really bad/stressed cuz a lot of ppl in korea are/were also criticizing her n some even bashed her (which is totally uncalled for). calling any performance a 'failure' in general is pretty hurtful. i hope taengoo's not feelin down because of this.

this is what they're waiting for =/

However.........I think you should change your title? Being able to perform with PHS is a success in itself, I would say.

LOL !

im starting to feel bad for her :/ i mean, she cried on stage when she couldn't sing perfectly for a performance of Dear Mom, so to have so many people call this performance bad .. damn i dont even wanna imagine her feelings o_o

Archived