Mini Coopers

Guest Rainie

Guest Rainie

Your thoughts?
Hey guys, I've always wanted a mini...I'm looking to buying one later this year, preferably newer than 2006 models. I've checked out some of the prices...they usually range from $20k-$30k CAD for '06, '07, and a little more of '08.

Does anybody here own one? What are the pros and cons? (I'm not much of a car junkie).

If not the mini, what other alternative cars would you suggest? I'm willing to spend around $25k CAD. I'm a university student...so really, I just need to get from A to B (and some summer road trips). Things I'm looking for in a car: Fuel economy, A/C, auto doors/windows, and safety.

I'm specifically looking for 2-3 years used...new cars aren't worth it imo. My budget may be $25k, but anything under works for me. :D

I've also been checking out:

- Honda Civic Coupe

- VW Jetta

- Toyota Prius

Guest 90th.degree

Mini's are peppy little cars with decent fuel mileage-the perfect urban car, but for college students I would advise something bigger like a Mazda 3 Hatchback of the same year. 06 models come it at around 15-20k more or less, putting more cash in your pockets.

Meh, i'm indifferent.

I would guess however, that Soompi thinks mini coopers are mini cooper. Not sure if they mean it as in they are "the mini cooper" or that they hate it enough that mini cooper has become the swear filter for mini cooper. mini cooper man, this mini cooper is all so confusing.

So yea anyways, john tesh mini cooper, sunshine.

^_^

Guest Gofishus

no, I've heard many stories about the Mini Cooper and none of it is good.

Pros:

-owned by BMW?

Cons:

-bad reliability

-bad design; difficult to check blind spots

-more weight but less storage space

Guest kelvin6

I've driven the Mini Cooper often and I can tell you that it may not be a fast car, but it sure is darn fun to drive. The storage space is pretty minimal, but if you plan to be driving yourself or even up to one other, the seats in the rear do fold down to accomadate more cargo. The rear seats (i'm 5'11" and I have to slide the seat back) don't give much room for any rear passengers (almost no leg room). The car's reliability is something I cannot comment on, because the Mini Coopers i've driven were all rented (and abused accordingly) and had low miles. Gas Mileage is good, even with my lead pedal and insane driving.

You can read my review on the Mini Cooper in the link on my signature section.

Just two days ago I was driving one tearing through the Marin headlands north of San Francisco and ripping through the streets and hills of San Francisco. I tell you it really is a good handling car. The biggest thing I like about it is it's length, because it does make it easy to find parking in my neighborhood where parking is nearly non-existant and hard to come by. That alone would almost make me buy it, but I already own a large car which in reality is more practical for my needs.

Guest 432521

I had a mini type s for a couple of weeks and it was fun to drive, it was a little weird though. I don't really know who to explain it but the handling was stiff like my brothers RSX maybe a little softer, but it drove loose like my sisters corolla. Parking is a breeze though, the thing is tiny so you can get a spot any where.

One of my friends has a regular mini and she loves it.

I didn't have the car long enough to need to get it any work done on it but one of my paintballing buddies that had one said that the car is a hassle to get fixed if something goes wrong. He said something about the limited parts, and something about how the front is built, some problems can only be fixed if you take the bumper and some other stuff off.

Guest jakex1

my friends sister has a cooper, not a s, so i cant comment on the speed, but its pretty roomy and id have to say its a pretty nice car.

The other cars that were mentioned are better values in terms of practicality. With the Mini Cooper you are paying more for the heritage/brand name. It's a European icon and you get thoughtful, European engineering and sporty performance to back it.

Meh, i'm indifferent.

I would guess however, that Soompi thinks mini coopers are mini cooper. Not sure if they mean it as in they are "the mini cooper" or that they hate it enough that mini cooper has become the swear filter for mini cooper. mini cooper man, this mini cooper is all so confusing.

So yea anyways, john tesh mini cooper, sunshine.

^_^

mini cooper man, Mini Coopers aren't mini cooper. They're the mini cooper -_-

I don't know how they handle, but I'd expect the same issues a VW Bug has on the freeway when a truck passes you or you pass a truck.

Guest super00135

my cousin has a mini cooper s

i drove around it for a month when she went back overseas, and i can say its quite uncomfortable to drive i think.

Suspension is really hard, and you can feel every bump on the way.

The price is high cus of its unique looks both outside and inside.

You should go test drive one and feel what speed humps, turns are all like.

Archived