Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

Guest dOotsiez

Women's side is just as open as before. I'm still waiting for all the dust to settle from Henin's retirement. I want Venus to win too, :D she's incredible on grass, and definitely deserves to be seeded higher after winning 4 of the last 8 Wimbies. The draw Gods are not kind though, she's got Jankovic in her quarter and Masha in her half. If I had to pick someone, I'd say Sharapova or one of the Williams's.

I'm not predicting someone's victory, esp given current form, and my BAD record of predictions, I think he'll win his first ever match against Hrbaty though, the guy's 2-0 against Federer :ph34r:

I think I've also got a record of not thinking very highly of Thai tennis, I eat my words now, seems like a Thai player has upset Safina at 's-Hertogenbosch, which Ferrer won the ATP side. 2 spanish men with grass titles in 2 weeks, weird.

Rafa looks so cute (and bored out of his wits)

rafa%20wimby%20press%20conference.jpg

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wonderbang

i'm not too worried about jankovic on grass.....doesn't suit her retrieving style and weak serve....plus she's never been past the fourth round. of course if she met venus on one of those error-athon type days then her consistency would win out but i wouldn't bet on it.

Guest dOotsiez

Hmmm why do women get cookie trays and men get cups? Why are women seeded differently to men? Wimby may never escape accusations of being sexist, and perhaps rightly so. >_>

I wouldn't write off Jankovic just yet. She beat Sharapova last year at Birmingham, and also made the finals at 's-Hertogenbosch the following week, only to enter Wimby exhausted (when will she learn?). So she knows how to play on grass. She's now officially the best player without a slam so if she fares well, it would be long overdue. :)

Guest neko08
Rewatched the finals last year, Roger was so bloody lucky to have won that, Nadal was def the better player in the match, but Federer just came through on the big points. Something i didnt notice the first time - Nadal looked SO UPSET after the match :(

Wimbledon draws are out. Federer and Djokovic in the same half. Nadal has....Davydenko (most likely not, maybe Roddick, but more likely someone completely random)

I agree with you about the finals last year. xD

I actually thought that Rafa would win back then.

I think Fed's gonna have a tough road, then. Having Djokovic in the same half as his.

Djokovic, if not Nadal, could be the one to beat Federer.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Fed fan. :D

But ever since he lost the Australian Open earlier this year, I'm having second thoughts if he could still remain "the" undisputed one in the men's draw. Especially having Rafa and Novak behind him. :sweatingbullets:

( am i the only rafa fan here?)

you're not alone :D

Hahaha

Guest wonderbang
Hmmm why do women get cookie trays and men get cups? Why are women seeded differently to men? Wimby may never escape accusations of being sexist, and perhaps rightly so. >_>

I wouldn't write off Jankovic just yet. She beat Sharapova last year at Birmingham, and also made the finals at 's-Hertogenbosch the following week, only to enter Wimby exhausted (when will she learn?). So she knows how to play on grass. She's now officially the best player without a slam so if she fares well, it would be long overdue. :)

Definitely good points about Jankovic. I didn't give her enough credit for her grass results...I just looked at Wimbledon lol. Thanks dOotsiez.

And for the gender issue at Wimbledon, I guess it's one step at a time for them.....I was just ecstatic they finally awarded equal prize money last year! (TALK ABOUT BEING LATE!) .......but anyhow, Wimbledon still has a long way to go and I hope the officials realize sooner rather than later the times that we live in now are much, much different than the time in which Wimbledon started more than a century ago.

Guest dOotsiez

Nice opening match yesterday for Federer. I thought it was sweet in the end when Hrbaty came to sit next to Federer during the changeover. How often do you see two opponents smiling their way through a match? Just realised they used to be doubles partners. Apparently this is meant to be Hrbaty's last Wimbledon, so just as well he drew Federer first round and got to play on Centre Court. What a warm and fuzzy way to begin a tournament, :) Santoro's playing on Centre Court today too as he drew Murray. *sigh* I'll miss these oldies when they're gone.

2008_06_23_HrbatyFederer_main.jpg

A nice Day 1 I thought, a few surprises - poor Sam Querry, Federer round 1 at FO, and Ferrero round 1 at Wimbledon, the draw gods apparently hate him. Monfils pulled out last minute, yikes! Frenchmen are apparently prone to injuries and mental implosions. And Nalbandian....don't even wanna go there. But go the 3 Aussies: Stosur, Dellacqua and Hewitt! Surprised Djoker dropped a set against Berrer though. ;)

neko08, I agree, this year's Wimby is quite tough on Fed, if he falls, then it would be branded as a 'watershed' moment by the media (as if they haven't had enough of those already), but if he pulls through, then I dare say he'll probably return to his old dominant ways. I wouldn't mind :D

Guest crystal_t33rs
poor Sam Querry, Federer round 1 at FO, and Ferrero round 1 at Wimbledon, the draw gods apparently hate him.

Exactly what I was thiking!

I was surprised with the Nalbandian match against Dancevic! >___< Also, another surprise when Djoko dropped a set today. But he'll probably spring right on up, demolish his opponents, and hope he gets a match against Fed. I'd actually like to see it ^^;

Kinda sad, I saw none of the women's matches today! I'll probably have to youtube that, lol.

Fed's up against Soderling next. Is that a bad thing?

O__O Nishikori pulled out?! Didn't see that match either . . .

O__O Nishikori pulled out?! Didn't see that match either . . .

Ergh, yeah he pulled out. I was so looking forward to a potential Federer vs. Nishikori 3rd round, especially after he could have gotten a huge break with Monfils withdrawing. XD

Guest wonderbang

Injuries are tough. :(

I thought Querrey would come through against Ferrero, who has seen better days for sure. But grass is pretty unpredictable too I guess. So besides ESPN, where are some other places to catch recorded matches? I'm missing the live broadcasts and can't seem to find any other source to watch really.........saaaaad :(

Guest dOotsiez

Sorry wonder_bang, can't help you there, unless you have a wimbledon subscription. Are you that hardcore? :D

Yeah I'm disappointed too that Nishikori and Monfils both withdrew from Federer's 16th. Would've made some interesting first round matches, tough. Can't believe Guccione lost to a lucky loser. Grrr....

I was anticipating a Querry win too, he's got the game but I don't think he wants it enough. Maybe thats why Europe is kicking America/Australia/England's arses in tennis. Their players just seem to want it so much more.

Go Dellacqua! :D

Guest wonderbang

You're a big Dellacqua fan now aren't you? I remember mentioning her after the AO and you weren't even sure who she was! :D

But go Dellacqua...I'm a fan too lol.

Anyhow, I'm not hardcore enough to buy a subscription. No wait, I take that back. I'm too cheap to buy it. :P

Guest dOotsiez
You're a big Dellacqua fan now aren't you? I remember mentioning her after the AO and you weren't even sure who she was! :D

But go Dellacqua...I'm a fan too lol.

Anyhow, I'm not hardcore enough to buy a subscription. No wait, I take that back. I'm too cheap to buy it. :P

LOL I completely missed Casey's run at the AO this year because I blatantly prefer the ATP over the WTA. Rarely keep up with anything before the QFs. :ph34r: The quality of tennis on the WTA tour ........

But now I like her, she's got potential and I hope she steps up onto a bigger stage by the end of this year. And happy to see Sam Stosur making a return as well. But the glory days of Rafter, Scub and Hewitt ain't coming back. I wish I were Serbian, or Swiss....LOL

Hardcore but cheap is just the way to go! :sweatingbullets:

EEEKKK...Isner v Gulbis as I speak.....now THERE's another player whose name I learnt. He's not just 'some guy from Latvia' anymore. hehehehe

Guest wonderbang

I'm missing all the broadcasts of Wimbledon these days....not convenient hours for me..... And I can't find the highlights anywhere. T_T

On a sidenote, what was wrong with Nalbandian?! I can't believe he was a finalist here before........he must be best friends with Safin. You never know how those two would play on any given day...

Guest dOotsiez

aww bummer! My wimby coverage starts at 11pm, which isn't too bad.

I missed the Isner v Gulbis match yesterday because my local TV station blatantly decided to line up Nadal, Sharapova, Murray and Roddick, mass media... <_< But Gulbis v Nadal next round, excited much! I'm torn between the two - would really like to see the kid from Latvia step up in a major way. He's grown on me since RG (goodbye Mr. Federer? nahh...) but I also want Nadal to make it all the way too. Yikes.

Nalbandian is the biggest head case and wasted talent of his generation. He's got the skills of Federer, but the heart of a loser. Safin too, he needs a lesson from his younger sister. Other head cases including Gasquet and Murray - mentally prepubescent. Oh and Davydenko looks like he'll be joining the club soon. I get more joy from watching Santoro than these guys. :tongue2:

Guest wonderbang

"Mentally prepubescent" LOL.

I think that's the best description I've heard so far. :lol:

I forgot about Davydenko's loss too......but somehow I'm not really surprised even though he's seeded so high (which I find incredibly strange) because while everyone else played grass warm-up tournaments, he decided to CONTINUE PLAYING ON CLAY AFTER RG.

Uhhh....hellllooo....how is that going to help you prepare for Wimbledon? ..........I said it before and I'll say it again...the crazy, crazy world of tennis. :phew:

Guest dOotsiez

Make that a crazy crazy world full stop :D

How Davydenko won Miami.....well every player makes the run of his career at some stage, and I'm afraid he might've peaked there.

Watching recorded matches on TV, and dear old Pat Rafter is out and about, guest commentating. :D Very insightful thoughts on Roger, Rafa and Djokovic. 'There are certain aspects of Djokovic that people don't warm to, you either love him or hate him'. Spot on.

Yikes, head case Safin heading for the Djokovic slaughterhouse tonight. I just hope he loses less humiliatingly than Nalbandian at Queens.

Guest aeroshaastranger :)

haha!!!

SAFIN BEAT DJERK!!

djerk needs this!! he needs to eat humble pie!!

fancy saying how fed is not as good.

is there some trend where seeded players are crashing??

first nalbandian then davydenko then djerk!!

VAMOS RAFA :D :D

Archived