Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

Guest dOotsiez

Traitor? Yup that's me. *ditching Roger to fangirl Tiger Woods*

I agree, I think the FO is the one that should have its own seeding. To a large extent, Wimbledon pans out according to rankings and the level of the players - some surprises here and there, but nothing major. While the FO almost always turns out bizarrely, and some of the top players just never 'get it'. For the men's side, it doesn't matter that Federer is seeded 1 and Nadal seeded 2 because it works out the same anyway, but I think, 'just for the sake of it', they should give the no 1 seed to Nadal, so he knows what it feels like :D

LMAO love that photo of Henman. He's off the hook now at least, the might of English pride squarely on the SCOTSMAN Andy Murray. Poor Andy, silently (or not so silently) imploding under the pressure after injuring his thumb, shoulder, GROIN, and ego. Maybe he and Gasquet should have a chat....

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wonderbang
Haha, nice pic of Tim Henman, poor guy, had so much to live up to by the Brits but always fell short (Quarters Wimbledon).

He got to the semis a few times too but I sympathize for the guy also......you could tell he was trying his best and it just never worked out for him. In a way, if he wasn't a British guy, people would've said he did pretty well at Wimbledon but since he is one, he's considered a disappointment.

Anyhow, Murray is completely different from Henman so maybe he'll handle the pressure better? .....but who knows...like dOotsiez said, he's injured every part of his body so he's not exactly a safe bet either.

Guest aeroshaastranger :)

haha i think rafa can win wimbeldon :D :D

it's just a matter of how fed performs!

i think his the kind who holds grudges eh?

eg during french opens when he lost a set to one of the low seeds, he came back to thrash the other guy!!

haha so against rafa, fed might rmb the nightmare at FO ??

so rafa needs to play his A game!!

haha

you guys think rafa can beat djokovic??

Guest wonderbang

I think Rafa can do anything lol. But I still think Federer remains the undisputed favorite, even in light of his year so far. By virtue of his five straight wins, I don't think you can call anyone else the favorite. :D

Guest dOotsiez

Well it is possible for any of the top 3 seeds to win (Davydenko, I don't think so. Ferrer? wth. A Rod, NO.) It's funny that everyone's saying how Federer is the favorite, but almost all the commentators I've been reading are predicting a Nadal victory. Given current form, could be. Fed was so lucky to have won the final last year. And Rafa certainly has all the momentum behind him, so if he's gonna do it one year, it should be this year.

As for Djokovic, whoever gets him is screwed. Yes Nadal beat him last weekend, but it was so bloody close, you just don't know what would've happened in a best of 5. But if we do have the privilege of seeing another Fed/dal final, then you know who I want to win out of that one :D

F200806180505061546628578.jpg

Look at this guy, here we are getting all excited about Wimbledon, and he's out there watching Euro with Eva Longoria and her hubby. Talk about a traitor!

Guest wonderbang
Well it is possible for any of the top 3 seeds to win (Davydenko, I don't think so. Ferrer? wth. A Rod, NO.) It's funny that everyone's saying how Federer is the favorite, but almost all the commentators I've been reading are predicting a Nadal victory. Given current form, could be. Fed was so lucky to have won the final last year. And Rafa certainly has all the momentum behind him, so if he's gonna do it one year, it should be this year.

As for Djokovic, whoever gets him is screwed. Yes Nadal beat him last weekend, but it was so bloody close, you just don't know what would've happened in a best of 5. But if we do have the privilege of seeing another Fed/dal final, then you know who I want to win out of that one :D

%7Boption%7Dhttp://sports.people.com.cn/mediafile/200806/18/F200806180505061546628578.jpg

Look at this guy, here we are getting all excited about Wimbledon, and he's out there watching Euro with Eva Longoria and her hubby. Talk about a traitor!

I can see how they think Nadal has a good chance of winning this year given the reasons you did but I think there's a difference between a chance to win and the favorite to win. Nadal has HIS best chance ever to win Wimbledon but calling him the favorite over the 5-time defending champion is ludicrous to me. Plus, a part of me thinks the commentators are all bandwagoning so I refuse to take their opinions seriously this time. :P

Guest crystal_t33rs

I actually doubted whether Fed would be able to nail Wimbledon, but after watching him play at Halle on youtube (XD), I'm keeping my fingers extra crossed for the win this year as well, and beat Borg's record! lol. Everyone's had their off time(s) while Fed completely dominated nearly every tournament the past four years, and maybe this year, his body's just responding to all of that. =T But still, I hope Wimbledon will be good for him! Please!

I have to be honest, I never watched much of Tim Henman. The last time I remember him playing was at the 2006 U.S. Open against Fed. Fed played that wicked shot from between his legs and Henman was just stunned. lol. There's a clip of it on youtube . . .

^Quality's kind of "eh" at first, but they replay it and it's better quality then. ^^;

Oh, and while I'm on the topic of Fed ^____^; Here's a very CUTE pic of TMF when he was a kid! It's adorable!

RogerFederer3.jpg

Oh, and Fed with Tony Parker & Eva Longoria??? O___O Never would've thought . . .

Wow, I read back on my post and can't help but think how COMPLETELY biased I am when it comes to Fed. XD

Guest dOotsiez

^ yup, just a TAD biased there.

Oh I love that picture of Fed (and is that a CLAY COURT in the bg? oh the irony...) it was in the Nike ad with Tiger Woods, who I also love. So this year has been very ordinary with the two of them injured/sick/being human. :angry:

That Henman shot is crazy. The way Federer was able to improvise and change his game plan half way, and do it all with a poker face, wow.

Of course I want Federer to win Wimby, but I haven't seen TMF out and about for a while, so it's worrying, and you can't really judge his performance at Halle since he didn't play Nadal/Djokovic there. Does anyone else feel like every single grand slam is just an impending clash between these 3? The rest are really just left to scramble for the fourth semi final spot

How about this? Borg has come out to say that not only is Federer NOT the favourite his year, he is the THIRD favourite after Nadal and Djokovic. Okay, Nadal as the favourite is justifiable at least, but DJOKOVIC? Really now. Borg, I liked you so much better when you were off silently designing your own line of underwear. Go back to it.

Guest wonderbang
Borg, I liked you so much better when you were off silently designing your own line of underwear. Go back to it.

I'm guessing it didn't turn much of a profit so he had to find something else to do :P

But really, assuming things (especially in tennis) can backfire quickly......trust me, I have personal experience. :lol:

Guest dOotsiez

Rewatched the finals last year, Roger was so bloody lucky to have won that, Nadal was def the better player in the match, but Federer just came through on the big points. Something i didnt notice the first time - Nadal looked SO UPSET after the match :(

Wimbledon draws are out. Federer and Djokovic in the same half. Nadal has....Davydenko (most likely not, maybe Roddick, but more likely someone completely random)

Tough early rounds for all the top seeds, Federer likely to get Soderling second round, Nishikori in the 3rd (YAY!), Nadal v the winner out of Isner/Gulbis second, Kiefer/Benneteau the 3rd, Djerk on track to demolish Safin second round, Roddick and Tipsy second round. Gasquet and Fish first round, good ol' Santoro gets Murray first round. As far as tennis goes, this is looking GREAT!

EDIT// that was just the most nonsense ramble! :D I'm waiting for it all to backfire on me now.

Guest wonderbang

LOL....I like how you determined all the second rounds already.......are you the next Borg? :P

Well since you only did the men's commentary....I'll have to check up on the women's myself. :D

Guest crystal_t33rs

Ooh! I want to see Nadal vs Gulbis! lol.

I always notice how upset the runner-ups look after the finals. Sigh. Although I love Fed, I felt so bad for Nadal b/c he really did play better, overall. Fed just knew when to come through, so yeah . . . Real lucky. I really hope it won't be like that this year, but . . . . Djoke & Fed in the same draw? Phew . . . I had a feeling that was going to happen. Wonder if Fed'll make it hard for Djoke. ^^;

Roddick and Tipsaravic? (I can never spell that dude's name right . . . ) I can't tell who's going to come out alive from that one. I feel maybe Tips is a real trooper though. More so than Roddick, at least. ^^;

Is Tsonga playing? How about my lovely Blake? Lol, I'll just come right out and say that he's my favorite American. ^^;

Guest dOotsiez

crystal_t33rs, Tsonga is out until at least USO, he's having knee surgery, and I'm not feeling terribly optimistic about his future atm. Pity because he was playing AWESOME tennis at the AO this year. :(:( Blake is my fav American too, hope he does well this year and come out as the No 1 american (somehow i doubt it)

LOL I must say, good ol' Borg got me, I have a gut feeling that it's not going to be 6 in a row for Fed, :(:(:( maybe I'll root for...umm....Kohlschreiber instead. Might save myself from the train wreck that was RG this year.

Women's side of the draw is terrible, I would really like to see Jankovic win her first GS but she has the hardest draw, Ivanovic on the other hand has a cupcake draw. <_<

Guest aeroshaastranger :)

wow even though djerk is not in the same draw as rafa, rafa still has tough opponents (:

VAMOS RAFA!! image
haha ( am i the only rafa fan here?)

anyway, somehow rafa seems to be the fav now?
scary though cos if he doesn't live up to expectations, it's gonna suck !!

but on the otherhand, rafa is a really cool calm guy and can perform under pressure image
haha and his a FIGHTER! so we know he'll not give up.

is it true that rafa struggles during the first few rounds?

well rafa is def improving!!
not been following fed's progress but how is he playing now?

watched the highlights of last yrs game! haha i felt that fed got a few cheap pts on the aces image but his returns are wow!

haha at least rafa's service has improved loads so he'll get some free pts! lol xD
but rafa will have to play his finishing shots better.haha

anyway good luck to all!!!
i really hope djerk gets kicked out!!
LOL xD

CMON RAFA!!
FIGHT (:

rooting for tipsarevic too image and kei !

ANYWay , i feel that roger is still def a fav cos it's GRASS after all and his dangerous.. but i'm hoping rafa gets the title ( AYdon't kill me people xD ).. haha rafa needs to concentrate and focus and play really really well!!

like rafa on clay, people feel intimidated ( do you guys think roger felt intimidated by rafa's presence on clay and that why didn't play well??) by roger on grass.. i'm not sure abt rafa..any idea?
30f20a.png

Guest crystal_t33rs

Aces aren't cheap points! lol. If you're good, why not use it to your advantage? Like Roddick, who's serves are like POWER-MONSTROUS when he's in his best shape. It's like 40-0 and GAME! haha.

aeroshaastranger :) you're not the only one who wants djoko kicked off, but you have to admit he's GOOD. He's immensely improved from last year, and he's got a whole lot of confidence to boot. It's hard to knock him down from that. ^^;

I don't think Fed's the only one intimidated by Rafa on clay - everyone is. lol.

Like a lot of people think, this year's Wimbledon's going to be crazy!

Guest dOotsiez

Aces aren't cheap points, they require a lot of power and angle precision. They're a cool weapon to have on grass. One of the reasons why Nadal struggles in the earlier rounds at Wimby is that he always gets someone like Karlovic or Isner, who just rips aces out of their skin. Like when Nadal got Karlovic at Queens, it took 3 tedious tie breakers for him to make it out of that one.

aeroshaastranger, you're not the only Rafa fan, I always root for Rafa unless he's playing you-know-who-has-a-59-match-winning-streak-on-grass. I'm glad Rafa has been able to fend of Djoker, esp after Rome. Djoker, I don't think, has a Nadal complex on clay, or a Federer complex on any other surface. I'm not sure that his ego allows for that sort of thing. It's a pity because he's more complete a player than Nadal, but it's the person inside the player that makes me root for his opponents.

Jon Wertheim stands alone in predicting a SIXTH federer victory at Wimby, depressing indeed. But thanks to wonder_bang for introducing me to the IHT Sports Forum during the FO, looks like they have one out for Wimby too, part 1:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/17/spo...nisforumone.php

Part 2 and 3 are also up.

not-rooting-for-Fed-08

Guest wonderbang

lol you're welcome dOotsiez! i actually didn't know they were doing one for Wimbledon too.....thanks for telling ME about it! :D

and jon is not alone....i'm predicting a sixth title for federer too!! though my words don't mean anything. anyhow, women's side is interesting. i hope venus turns it on again and dominates the draw.....i can dream can't i? :P

edit: didn't realize i topped :P

wimbledon07womenschamp.jpg

;)

Archived