Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

Guest wonderbang
Wow, both Williams sisters out. I just checked the scores and Pennetta beat Venus in straight sets. But clay isn't the Williamses' forte, so that's not totally unexpected. As for Clijsters... didn't she just have a baby recently? I don't think she'll do a Davenport anytime soon. Henin... I enjoyed watching her play and she was always so sweet to the Paris crowd, it was a pleasure seeing her win there. Ah well.

I'm neutral about Jankovic. Women's tennis seems a lot duller now that both Henin and Clijsters have quit. I was watching mainly for them. Never liked Serena and Venus, there was something about them that just irked me.

Btw, what do you guys think of Gulbis? Think he can go far?

Gulbis is always dangerous. Anyone with that sort of firepower always is, regardless of the surface. He's still a little inexperienced but he's definitely an up-and-comer. If Wawrinka can make it to the top 10, I don't see why Gulbis can't! :)

And I'm totally the opposite of you regarding the Williamses and the Belgians. I watch women's tennis mainly because of Serena and Venus and never were fans of Henin or Clijsters. However, I still think it's a pity both are retired. For all the crap that Serena and Venus get for not playing very often, in the end it ultimately has helped them prolong their tennis careers compared to the Belgians who were severely burned out at a young age.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dOotsiez

Haven't watch any of Gulbis' matches, but beating James Blake on red clay is not a huge achievement. If he's anything like Berdych, then we prob dont need another one like him in the top 10. Wawrinka on the other hand, pulls a very Henin-esque backhand sometimes. Shall be looking for more from him.

Agree about the William sisters. They've copped a lot of bad press for having all their 'outside' interests, and for not being devoted enough to tennis, but no one seems to have noticed that they're outlasting the rest :D they're not the ones getting burnt out at the age of 25.

I think Kim Clijsters could very well do a Lindsay Davenport. I hope so anyway. :D I enjoyed watching her more than Henin. Henin was way too intense when she was playing, and never looked like she's having fun. As for the two serbians, they're certainly very 'meh...' compared to some of the great female players we've had in the past. one of them prefers quantity over quality, the other serves well and hits hard. what more can i say except for 'meehh...'

Dellacqua's out, 3rd round isn't bad, but I'm still sad. :(

Guest wonderbang

I'm sad for Dellacqua too. Who is this Navarro character? Well, she's from Spain........enough said I guess? Those dirtballers :D

So now the women's field is pretty decimated. Sharapova is practically hanging on by a thread and so is Jankovic. Kuznetsova and Ivanovic look like they're playiing well relative to the others......but in the end it looks like a crapshoot to me. I just hope the final isn't going to be anti-climatic like last year's.

Somehow I'm already thinking about Wimbledon......I guess I'm biased towards grass. I"ll take it over clay any day. :)

Guest dOotsiez

Yeah tell me about the Spanish. They're owning the FO at the moment. They've still got 7 players in the draw, compared to 1 Aussie, 1 American, and..... 0 Brit? :ph34r: (and believe it or not, a CANADIAN)

I'm looking forward to Wimbledon too, clay's too bizarre for me. hope one of the Williams's will take it again. As for mens, it's Federer's baby, but if federer takes Nadal's baby in Paris, maybe he should give Nadal a wimby?

(No actually, is it too early for me to be looking forward to the AO 2009? coz I am :D )

oh yeah this article is HILARIOUS. just shows how little love the sporting world down under has for RG.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/the-w...1654122534.html

Guest wonderbang

I'm with you dOotsiez. I guess we'll look forward to similar things in a few weeks at SW 19! :D

And RG has always been the most bizarre grand slam in my opinion....you usually get way more upsets and anticlimatic final rounds there. I mean I can remember players such as Majoli, Puerta, Verkerk, and Fernandez that made it to the semis and finals of RG and then you never hear from them again really.

Guest symphonee.

a lot of five-setters today for the men's singles. Fed's match is up next. I wonder if it'll also be a five-setter XD

i'm so glad Ferrer def. Hewitt B)

edit// Fed won straight sets. His performance was good today. ah.. it's 4am where i live. i need to sleep now *yawns*

Clay is like the playground of most Spanish (and South American) players, they're most accomplished on clay and on other surfaces pretty okay only. I guess that's why I love clay, I am partial towards the Spaniards (Nadal, Ferrero, Corretja, etc) and it's always fun to see the Americans tumble out at Roland Garros. The rest of the Grand Slams, I don't really feel a thing for. But I do agree that it's also the slam that seems to produce quite a number of flash-in-the-pans and journeymen.

As for Serena & Venus, ah, I don't have anything against their off-court activities, it's that something in their personalities that I don't like. I think Clijsters would have continued playing had it not been for her injury problems, but she didn't have that overly competitive streak and that's what makes her so nice. Would be cool to see her make a comeback, even if it's just exhibition matches. Henin... I wish her well and hope she's happier now. :)

Hewitt lost! Very good! :D And Ginepri made a little history, lol.

Guest wonderbang

No love for the Australian I guess....lol :P

I'm thinking the French are suuuuuuuuuuper happy since they have 5 guys in the fourth round. That's amazing to me and even more so considering that NONE of them are playing each other. They could very well make up half of the quarterfinalists :lol:

Guest dOotsiez

Am I the only one upset at 'Ley Ley's lost? :blush: I know I haven't been all that kind to him, but it still saddens me to see the last Aussie out. Especially when he fought like a brave little trooper in the second and third set. Well done to pushing Ferrer to a 5-setter anyway.

More upsets overnight. I switched to Hewitt v Ferrer thinking that Wawrinka had it in the bag. But it seems like I was wrong. Pity, coz I was starting to enjoy his game. And so much for Steve Tignor predicting a Davydenko def Federer. Looks like Ivan Ljubicic ended the mini-era of Davydenko first. And Sharapova..... she looks SO beatable on clay, yet somehow manages to survive. Looking more comfortable now, but I think she's no match for Safina on clay.

Ginepri flying the American flag? Who woulda thought? as I said, the French is bizaaaarrree...

Guest wonderbang

I neglected to say that while the French men is dominating this year's RG, the Russian women are doing the same too!

On the top half, there are 5 Russian women and 2 of them are guaranteed to be quarterfinalists and a third if Kuznetsova comes through. Pretty darn amazing considering how bizarre the tournament has been. These girls just don't go away do they? Fight, fight, fight :P:D

Guest dOotsiez

I actually think Kuzzy has what it takes to win this. (but then again, that's not saying much, since she's had it in her to win quite a few GSs in the past, but seem to crack a little under pressure) Either way, it looks a bit like Russia v Serbia for women's final at the moment.

who would Jose Higueras root for if Fed and Ginepri both made it through to the QFs? Ginepri is against Fernando Gonzalez next, I'd be surprised if he could make it out alive. Federer against Benneteau. Can I say that TMF was in the house last night? Brilliant tennis that I haven't seen for a while. The scores weren't close, but they looked a lot less one sided than the actual match. Federer lost only 2 points on his serve in the second set, and was dishing out love service games one after another. Made my night after that depressing Hewitt match (and a depressing wawinka match, and two equally depressing slugfests between Davydenko/Ljubicic, Monfils/Melzer). can't these guys keep it short and sweet? anyway, check out this shot (link to a video of his FH)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A36724115

Guest wonderbang

Federer was great to watch. I'm constantly amazed when he plays. :D

And I think you're right.....if I were betting (which apparently doesn't mix well with tennis :P ), I would go with a Russian and Serbian girl in the final too. The problem is.........which one? :lol:

Guest dOotsiez

oh my, Ivanovic's just double bageled Cetkovska. Jankovic seems to be having trouble closing her second set. If I had to bet (knowing my jinxing abilities, I definitely shouldn't), but I'd go with Ivanovic and Kuznetsova for the finals. Although wouldn't pick either of them for Wimby. We all know the men's side, the triad is going strong, but who's gonna make the fourth spot in the QFs? Ferrer? Gonzo? GINEPRI? lol or should we expect one of the top seeds to fall...(fingers crossed they won't, I won't take anyone but Fed, Nadal or Djokovic for the semis and final)

Is it just me or does the clay season seem especially long, even though it's actually shorter. We've had too many tournaments in too short a space of time. Let's get this final week over and done with, and onto Queen's Club.

Guest takahiro01

There is French Open now, I went to Porte d'auteuil last wednesday and i saw a lot of great player like Nadal or Serena Williams!

Guest dOotsiez

takahiro Nadal? Serena? I'm jealous! i'll wait my turn til AO next year shall I?

Gulbis just took Llodra, first frenchman down for the day. 36 unforced errors *cringe* versus 41 *cringe some more*. this is why i enjoy the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic more.

I forget, there are no likes of these three men.

Guest dOotsiez

channelsurfing.net live streams them. And if you're in the US, then the tennis channel is your friend.

Nadal was ON FIRE last night. Poor poor Verdasco. The three serbian players are looking good so far. Can't wait until Djokovic meets Nadal :)

Guest wonderbang
Is it just me or does the clay season seem especially long, even though it's actually shorter. We've had too many tournaments in too short a space of time. Let's get this final week over and done with, and onto Queen's Club.

Hate to say it, but I agree......give me some of the green stuff! :D

Nadal is playing well as always.....he's definitely the man to beat and I'm so excited if he goes up against Novak/Federer.....should be a classic!

Ivanovic is in fine form too....she and Jankovic SHOULD meet in the semis but who knows at this point.....the women's field has seen too many surprises already. Tomorrow's match between Sharapova and Safina should be a good one. Sharapova's been vulnerable and Safina has been playing well. Upset in the making?

Guest dOotsiez

I'll save my Federer praises next time shall I? Watching his match at the moment, and so frustrated by his lapses of concentration. Oi Federer, get out of Mirkaland and come back to the match.

Tell me about a potential upset for Sharapova, barely scraped through the first set, 7/6(8/6), and got broken first game second set. *shakes head* unimpressive night for two of my favourite players. Yup, i'm ready to move onto grass.

Guest crystal_t33rs

^ I know! I was happy with how well he was playing against Ancic, and then this match against Benneteau! Jeeeeez! He was up 4-1 on both sets, then just gave it all away for Benneteau to catch up quickly. What the frap, man?! Gotta hand it to Benneteau though. He has a mean forehand when it's working for him.

I'm still a tad new to the rules of the tournaments, but when a player breaks his/her racket during a match out of anger, do they get a penalty? 'Cause I was listening to the RG radio on the website, and they were saying something about Safina breaking her racket and then my laptop when afjklhakjh on me. lol. ^^;

And poor, poor, Verdasco! What happened?! He pretty much gave up his points to Nadal. But I loved how the commentators were making fun of Nadal's "power-mystery-sandwich." XD

NADAL-DJOKO SEMI PLEASE!

Although because I'm slightly[ahem] biased, I wish Gulbis would beat Novak

@ QF. :P

Archived