Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

Guest radiant.DOLL

Congrats to Novak for winning his first GS!

I don't think it was necessary for his dad to get so worked up about the French fans though, lol.

I think Tsonga will have a long career ahead of him, and hope he does well in the future. :)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest anonymousfusion
Any big tournaments coming up next? I can only think of the start of the ATP Masters Series which isn't until March. (warning, tennis noob here)

Hope to be in Melbourne for next year's AO if I'm not travelling. It'd be awesome to watch one of the semis. Finals are so expensive...

like other ppl said, no big tourny's till march. you can check out the entire schedule at www.atptennis.com or for the women's it's www.wtatour.com

tsonga put up one hell of a fight against nole, i'm happy nole won though. i've been following him since i met him at USO back in 2006. he was really nice and friendly, but that was when he wasn't as well known as he is now. first GS too, hell yea. serbia should be one happy little country now. i mean, a serbian in the finals of both singles draws, AMAZING!! haha. if ana won, then it would've been 3/3, but 2/3 ain't bad either. maria worked hard, and finally won the title after her embarassing finals perf last year, mainly due to serena williams.

Guest dOotsiez

Lol, looked like most ppl were rooting for Tsonga here. funny how Novak got a little worked up in the semis because though Federer was playing badly, the crowds were all behind him. And then again this game, most people I know were rooting for Tsonga. I dunno, Novak's just not as endearing as alot of other tennis stars out there, at least for non-serbians.

Well as Djokovic said, Tsonga had nothing to lose, he's just jumped up 20 ranks in one tournament. Can't wait to see him for the rest of the year. And nice to see how the Aus Open comes up with a new star every year.

Tsonga used up all his luck against Nadal where he played awesome....anyway I dunno..I think I just don't like djokovic's arrogance..I dunno off court but on court..blah...self proclaimed leader of pack to chase down federer and all...closing the gap etc...good players don't need to say those kind of things, they perform on the court.

Guest wonderbang
tsonga put up one hell of a fight against nole, i'm happy nole won though. i've been following him since i met him at USO back in 2006. he was really nice and friendly, but that was when he wasn't as well known as he is now. first GS too, hell yea. serbia should be one happy little country now. i mean, a serbian in the finals of both singles draws, AMAZING!! haha. if ana won, then it would've been 3/3, but 2/3 ain't bad either. maria worked hard, and finally won the title after her embarassing finals perf last year, mainly due to serena williams.

that's when i took notice of novak too. i thought he was talented, albeit in need of physical conditioning, but i never predicted he'll be so good. i'm happy for him and hope he does well the rest of the year. i am seriously anticipating the olympics....i think the whole of serbia will be there. :P

as for maria, i am very impressed with how she played, especially against henin, which was the highlight match for me of the fortnight. she went out there with a goal and boy oh boy did she execute. her level definitely dropped in the semis and finals but still high enough to take out the two serbs. if she stays healthy, i am expecting her to challenge for number 1 again throughout the year.

Guest jinneee

i can't believe nadal was knocked out by an unseeded person :[

3 straight sets. wow.

oh well though. he's still amazing :]

and great sportsmanship. :D

haha. XD

Awwww, the bastardino won.

Sucks for the Australians too! They didn't like Djokovic, 'cause he's arrogant and they don't like that in their athletes. At least Federer has a nice-ness about him.

Andy Roddick even said, "It'd be so easy to hate you if you weren't so nice." Everyone (even seniors and old tennis players) are surprised at how humble and nice Federer is...and how he's only ever intimidating on the court, never off of the court does he seem like someone very aloof or anything.

Djokovic (except for, of course, his tennis skills) shouldn't be in the #1 position. It'll feed his barbarian primitive pride.

Tsonga put up a good fight, though. Which is awesome. I really like him and wish him the best in future matches.

Guest sorbet6
Djokovic (except for, of course, his tennis skills) shouldn't be in the #1 position. It'll feed his barbarian primitive pride.

lol. he actually seems pretty likeable off the court. i guess his way of psyching himself up when he's playing can be seen as offensive.

Guest dOotsiez
I cried when Federer was beaten, and was sulking when Tsonga lost.

>_<

Tis a sad year for the Aussie open when my favourites were knocked out.

---

Boo to Sharapova

yeah they were my fav tennis players too. Federer is such a 'Mr Nice Guy'. lol, hope he finally wins the french this year, to make up for losing the Aus Open title. :lol:

lol. unfortunately your tennis skills do the talking rather than your personality. :)

I suppose on court yes, but for the crowd, personality is more important. Melbournians practically adopted Ana Ivanovic coz she's such a sweety. And Tsonga too, even when he was losing, everyone loved him, he's just too cute when he says things like ... 'I am very exciting' :P

Guest wonderbang

No I totally understand what you mean. I just meant that, unfortunately, having a great personality doesn't necessarily win you grand slams, which is the ultimate goal of all professional tennis players. :)

Guest jvchou1316

i never really fully watched Djokovic play. =x so no judgements on his skills; tho they must be beastly to give him the aussie open.

but anyway; i do appreciate his hilarious impersonations and 'ripping off shirt' (not barbaric! =D) habit.

somehow, i always catch him at the end of his (winning) match.

But yeah yeahh. I can't wait to play again.... Winter months, too much school and cold weather going on. =/

Guest wonderbang

I completely miss playing too! It's been rainy weather and just busy-ness in general. I'm definitely making an effort to play this weekend though. I'm tennis-deprived. =X

Guest aeroshaastranger :)

haha yeah his arrogant that's why i don't really like him- but his good.

yeah i think players like tsonga who's unseeded will always be smiling and happy when he gets to play in a finals!

yeah and for me when i like the 2nd seed(nadal) i won't like the top seed but fed is really nice and humble! haha

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wonderbang

Novak's been losing ever since he's won the Australian. I think he needs a few weeks break from tennis. Don't want to be burned out so early in the season.

Guest pseudobread

anyone here heard of Kei Nishikori?

i just read that he beat James Blake to win the Delray Beach International.

and he's 18 years old. :o

Guest wonderbang

Yup....read about it and was excited to see him do so well. He lost to Roddick this week but received a lot of compliments. From what I've read, he's a really good player....Hopefully I'll get to see him play on TV some time soon.

Archived