Illegal Downloading Of Music, Movies, Etc.

MakahaMusic

Guest the sweetest prince

It's wrong, buy the cd to support the artist.

I don't download, but I stream the movie or cd online if that counts.

You're just as bad because you're not paying to watch the movie or listen to the song.

I dont pay unless its an indie band that could actually use my money. Ill gladly steal Kpop music and give it to someone else but pay for the little band forced to eat whatever poor asians eat.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sam sik

I'm sure half of the downloaders feel guilty about it.

More like 1%.

Would you steal if you weren't going to get caught? We may say that we wouldn't steal either way because our morals conflict with this thought, however, this is Soompi and not the rest of the world. People are just as willing to steal for instance, the ATM incident in which the machine malfunctioned and gave out extra money.

That's what the majority believes. And that's why we download music. Because we know we won't get caught (give or take those few that do get lawsuits hammered on them).

And if we know we won't get caught then in our mind, it's not illegal. This is why teens tend to drink underage because for the most part, they know they won't get caught. Eventually down the road, I'm sure there will be a method used to stop people from illegally downloading. But now is not that time.

As for my opinion on downloading music, I think it's a good way to spread artist popularity. It is a good way to have a trial of what an artist can offer. Oh god, if I spent money on every album/song I listened to, I would be bankrupt. Cause there would only be a few select albums that I would actually purchase because it would then be worth my money.

Guest Atmosphere.

You know, if it wasn't for illegal music download.

Lots of people wouldn't know those singers by now.

I knew a lot of singers cause of Youtube, and someone

sort of suggested me this video to mp3, sorry can't help.

The program I'm using can get banned soon cause SOMEONE said

it out loud, now it's going to get banned.. cries for me.. anyways,

cause of illegal download, it made me get closer to that music, and im in LOVE with

the music i downloaded... yeah... :)

the time i only buy albums is when IM DEEPLY IN LOVE WITH THEM >__<;;

like Alice Nine and BoA, i would so buy it :] and maybe female big bang i dont know... not yet

LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS MWAHAHA :D

Guest Allison

I know it's wrong, but I do it. If I could, I would love to buy the cds of the artists but I honestly don't have the money to go and support all the musicians I like. I mostly download Korean music, so it's hard for me to go buy an album of an artist. Every 2-6 months, my dad takes me to KTOWN to buy some cds though. I only buy the cds of the artists that I really like.

I download music. Tbh, I don't care if it's wrong or not.

If I were to pay for all the music I've downloaded - I'd basically be bankrupt.

But I like music - sooo... I just download.

so music has value to you??

most of the people that responded to this post have basically said the same thing--that they'd be bankrupt if they had to pay for all the downloads....

but I mentioned something in the original post--how about just going without it?? just don't download it

....if you can't do that, that means music has SOME value to you

see what I'm saying....

If music has VALUE to you, isn't if fair to PAY for it?

I remember seeing a poll somewhere online where the majority of people rated music as their MOST valued possession, above movies, books, etc.

Don't you think it's fair that songwriters should be compensated, not just the artists but the songwriters....

Anyway, at least most everyone who responded admitted it's wrong....

that's a good first step, next step is to maybe stop doing it.

Guest prisonerzero

Of course it would be fair, but some of us just can't afford to buy them all.

I wouldn't be able to go without all the music I have, especially without the FTTS and Epik High albums I don't have. Just don't tell me how much value in music I have and don't have.

I think the majority of us knows that it's wrong. We're not that incompetent.

More like 1%.

Would you steal if you weren't going to get caught? We may say that we wouldn't steal either way because our morals conflict with this thought, however, this is Soompi and not the rest of the world. People are just as willing to steal for instance, the ATM incident in which the machine malfunctioned and gave out extra money.

That's what the majority believes. And that's why we download music. Because we know we won't get caught (give or take those few that do get lawsuits hammered on them).

And if we know we won't get caught then in our mind, it's not illegal. This is why teens tend to drink underage because for the most part, they know they won't get caught. Eventually down the road, I'm sure there will be a method used to stop people from illegally downloading. But now is not that time.

As for my opinion on downloading music, I think it's a good way to spread artist popularity. It is a good way to have a trial of what an artist can offer. Oh god, if I spent money on every album/song I listened to, I would be bankrupt. Cause there would only be a few select albums that I would actually purchase because it would then be worth my money.

So your point is..? Maybe i'm just being apatheic, I didn't even care to read your post. But judging from the first line, this has nothing to do with the society. Stealing and downloading are both illegal in justice but you can't discriminate in two different status. Your post is just irrelevant and has nothing to do with my mine. Online downloading is like used almost everywhere, but that can't be done to help the media.

Things are getting too far here..hm.

Guest sam sik

So your point is..? Maybe i'm just being apatheic, I didn't even care to read your post. But judging from the first line, this has nothing to do with the society. Stealing and downloading are both illegal in justice but you can't discriminate in two different status. Your post is just irrelevant and has nothing to do with my mine. Online downloading is like used almost everywhere, but that can't be done to help the media.

Things are getting too far here..hm.

Sorry I quoted the wrong sentence. I wanted to quote "I'm sure half of the downloaders feel guilty about it." I'm sure only 1% of the actual downloading community sits down and realizes that they are doing wrong.

The rest of my post is directed towards the OP.

so music has value to you??

most of the people that responded to this post have basically said the same thing--that they'd be bankrupt if they had to pay for all the downloads....

but I mentioned something in the original post--how about just going without it?? just don't download it

....if you can't do that, that means music has SOME value to you

see what I'm saying....

We would all be forced to buy our music if we did not have the technology we have today. In the 60s,70s and 80s everyone bought records and 8 tracks and whatnot. They bought it because they had no choice. However, to those that download, we have a choice to buy using money or downloading for free. Guess what people would pick?

Guest mangchilo

Sorry I quoted the wrong sentence. I wanted to quote "I'm sure half of the downloaders feel guilty about it." I'm sure only 1% of the actual downloading community sits down and realizes that they are doing wrong.

We would all be forced to buy our music if we did not have the technology we have today. In the 60s,70s and 80s everyone bought records and 8 tracks and whatnot. They bought it because they had no choice. However, to those that download, we have a choice to buy using money or downloading for free. Guess what people would pick?

Actually, that's not even entirely true. You should see my mother's collection of tapes copied from other people's tapes and tapes she recorded off the radio when she was in college! Illegal downloading hasn't existed forever, but finding ways to get the music you want for free has been going on much longer. The real difference now is that the distribution of illegal copies is more widespread and easier, not that it was never done before. My parents' generation copied friends' tapes or recorded tapes from the radio, then when I was in elementary school people mostly bought CDs and made CD copies for friends, now we mostly download files off the internet from people who could be anywhere in the world.

i download my music legally with emodio and mnet ^^

but if it was not for limewire soribada i would never even be into korean music and i would not own all the korean cds i own now ^^

ya i like to buy the cds but its just more easy to download the song and throw it on my samsung P2

cds are starting to die everyone just wants to download and listen to the song ya its nice to own the cd but the download is just so much more easy for me ^^

Guest AiMango

The thing is that so many people are doing it now that it doesnt seem like a bad thing. For those artists who are not as famous.. well thats how the music industry is, you have to bear with it. Wouldn't you be happy to be at least known by some people? But like others have said, most of us just can't afford to buy it all. Honestly, if I could, I would.

That's an extremely poor attitude....

I'm not saying that about you or that you think like that, I'm just saying that about this attitude that some people have--if nobody's looking, then it's not wrong, I can sleep with my neighbor's wife because she's a tramp and her husband is off with the US army in Iraq, and he won't find out, so it's not wrong.

well it still is wrong whether you're caught or not....

do the right thing

I know it's wrong, but I still download some music. Why? Simply, I cannot afford to buy all these CDs even though I would love to. Plus, the majority of my iPod is foreign stuff and all I could get off iTunes is Morning Musume. If I really like an album/artist, I will go out and buy CDs or get songs from iTunes.

Thats the wrong thing to say. Thats like being allowed to steal cars because you cant afford to buy it.

Of course it would be fair, but some of us just can't afford to buy them all.

I wouldn't be able to go without all the music I have, especially without the FTTS and Epik High albums I don't have. Just don't tell me how much value in music I have and don't have.

I think the majority of us knows that it's wrong. We're not that incompetent.

you can get a job or work more hours, that's what I did....

I've paid for every piece of music I have, and I've spent hundreds of dollars over the years (thousands?)

illegal downloading is HURTING songwriters, make no mistake.

Lamont Dozier, one the great R&B songwriters, has said that illegal downloading has cut his royalties in half. It is hurting songwriters.

If you know it's hurting people, and you continue to do it, that's wrong.....period

Music is my greatest joy and sure there's lots of music I would LIKE to have, but I refuse to download them for free, I refuse to do that to my fellow musicians. Heck, I'd love to get all 26 or so movies in the Zatoichi series, I could only afford to buy the first seven movies over the last couple of years. But I won't download the others, because its wrong....

I'm not saying this about you in particular, but basically there are good and bad people.

Bad people will continue to download illegally no matter what anyone says.

For me, I know what's in my heart from experience, I know what kind of person I am, I took care of my Dad for 2 1/2 years after his stroke, and it put so much of a strain on my marriage that my wife left me, but I sacrificed for him even thought I miss my wife very much, so I know I have a good heart, and I refuse to hurt my fellow musicians by illegal downloading.

For the good people who read posts like this, and maybe are just slightly misguided, stop and look what you are doing, you are hurting other people by illegal downloading. Just stop doing it, even if it means you have to sacrifice by not getting some music that you want. There's stuff I would love to have, but I do without it, because I know it's the right thing to do.

Do the right thing.

Guest the sweetest prince

For me, I know what's in my heart from experience, I know what kind of person I am, I took care of my Dad for 2 1/2 years after his stroke, and it put so much of a strain on my marriage that my wife left me, but I sacrificed for him even thought I miss my wife very much, so I know I have a good heart, and I refuse to hurt my fellow musicians by illegal downloading.

Talk about a run on sentence.

Guest prisonerzero

Thats the wrong thing to say. Thats like being allowed to steal cars because you cant afford to buy it.

Good thing I don't want a car. Of course it's "the wrong thing to say," but it isn't false.

you can get a job or work more hours, that's what I did....

I could, because they are so many jobs available.

Now I'm wondering if any musical artists go and download some mp3s.

I actually wouldn't be very surprised (hi there, Matt Willis).

Downloaded music doesn't stay in my computer for eternity. It does turn into a hard copy that was bought.

So you haven't done any wrong doings in your lifetime?

And, ah, crap. You just reminded me that I need to finish my thesis statement. Sigh.

But online downloading and stealing cars are frankly the different status as I mentioned on my other posts. Sure, people do prohibited stuff because they won't get caught, but it's internet. My thought may be very wrong, but people aren't stupid to do a thing they'd obviously get caught. Do online downloading lead you to jail? Do people get bad mouthed from others? No, people almost everyone have done it. Even a little illegal action can give you frustrations and guilt. You gotta divide your 1%, it can become 99% in the other hand. :/

There's even music downloads offered by artists in the past, and why is that? To get their name known at least a little, artists do know internet downloading adds a lot to them.

Tackle me however you like, i'm just voicing my opinion.

Guest cardamine

Why do I download music?

Because I can't buy their cds. I mostly don't listen to mainstream aritsts so they don't have a cd out. And most of the songs I like are released before the c.d comes out. Why buy something when you can get it for free? Why should I care about the artists' money? They are making enough. It is IMPOSSIBLE to buy all the songs I listen to. Plus I cant buy songs on the internet I don't have a credit card and my parents won't let me use theirs. And seriously downloading music is so much more convenient. Do you seriously expect everyone to drive all the way down to the store, stand in line and buy a c.d, drive back home and listen to it every time they want to hear a song??? I would go crazy. I have over 5,000 songs. I add about 20-50 songs onto that list almost everyday. There is no way I am going to buy a cd everyday.

Archived