Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

September 19, 2017

Korean period drama The Fortress features Lee Byung-hun in new trailer

by joshed Syko News

Lee Byung-hun has made a name for himself here in the States with films like Magnificent Seven, Terminator Genisys, and G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra. In addition to his American films, he has been in many South Korean films, and he’ll be starring in an upcoming period drama, The Fortress, which will be premiering in the U.S. and Canada next month.

20170919_51.jpg

Synopsis: “The Fortress” is set in 1636, when the Chinese Qing Dynasty has invaded Korea with 150,000 troops. The Korean court flees the capital to take shelter in the Namhan Fortress, located in treacherous mountains outside the city. The Qing army, led by General Yong Gol Dae, quickly surrounds the fortress, leaving the king and the court stranded in a prolonged standoff. For a truce, the Qing general makes a humiliating proposal that they send the Crown Prince out as hostage. Unable to move forward or fight the enemy they are outnumbered by, the people of the fortress start dying from cold and hunger. The king now faces an impossible choice between protecting his people and standing up to those looking to destroy them.

The film is directed by Hwang Dong-hyuk, who’s known for his comedy, Miss Granny. It also stars Kim Yoon-seok (Will You Be There?, The Priests, Haemoo), Park Hae-il (The Last Princess, Eungyo, War of the Arrows) and Go Soo (The Royal Tailor, Way Back Home, The Front Line).

The Fortress will be in theaters in over 30 cities across the U.S. and Canada on October 20, 2017. After the premiere, the film will be the main feature of Korean Film Days at the Asian World Film Festival in Los Angeles, and it will be the opening film at the London East Asia Film Festival (LEAFF).

Image credit: CJ Entertainment

• Like 3

On 9/20/2017 at 2:14 PM, peonie said:

September 20, 2017

Postings from Weibo:

Spoiler

20170920_2.jpg

With Go Soo

Source:  LeeByungHun0712 weibo.com

Found this photo shared on twitter, thanks to yasu☆lbh for the retweet from GoSoo.jp (GoSoo's official Japanese fansite?)

20170920_21.jpg

• Like 3

September 22, 2017

[USA & Canada] Lee Byung-hun in "The Fortress" October 20 in U.S. and Canada

Source: CJ Entertainment via HanCinema.net

photo890576.jpg

"The Fortress", starring Lee Byung-hun debuts In The U.S. and Canada October 20, 2017

From "Miss Granny" Director, Hwang Dong-hyeok, CJ Entertainment is releasing "The Fortress", a new period drama featuring popular South Korean actor, Lee Byung-hun.  This title will premiere on October 20, 2017 in over 30 cities across the U.S. and Canada. Following its premiere, "The Fortress" will be the main feature of Korean Film Days at the Asian World Film Festival in Los Angeles, and it has also been chosen to open at the London East Asia Film Festival (LEAFF) next in London.

"The Fortress" is set in 1636, when the Chinese Qing Dynasty has invaded Korea with 150,000 troops. The Korean court flees the capital to take shelter in the Namhan Fortress, located in treacherous mountains outside the city. The Qing army, led by General Yong Gol Dae, quickly surrounds the fortress, leaving the king and the court stranded in a prolonged standoff. For a truce, the Qing general makes a humiliating proposal that they send the Crown Prince out as hostage. Unable to move forward or fight the enemy they are outnumbered by, the people of the fortress start dying from cold and hunger. The king now faces an impossible choice between protecting his people and standing up to those looking to destroy them.

This film is directed by esteemed director Hwang Dong-hyeok ("Miss Granny", "The Crucible", "My Father"). His 2014 hit Korean comedy, "Miss Granny", reached $55M in the box office and has been remade for China, Japan, Vietnam, and several other countries. It is now being remade in English with Tyler Perry's 34th Street Films and in Spanish with Eugenio Derbez's 3pas Studios.

Hwang Dong-hyeok's new period drama also stars Kim Yun-seok ("Will You Be There?", "The Priests", "Haemoo"), Park Hae-il ("The Last Princess", "A Muse", "Arrow, The Ultimate Weapon") and  Ko Soo ("The Royal Tailor", "Way Back Home", "The Front Line").

• Like 3

September 23, 2017

Arena Homme October issue 2017 (Translation)

20170920a_3.jpg

Two main points were mentioned  in the magazine interview: 

1.  “That is what “It’s My World” and “Happy Together” feel like in common. “

2.  “Shooting for “Mr. Sunshine” is expected to begin in early December.  I will be totally emerged in the shooting of “Mr. Sunshine” for the next 6 to 7 months.” 

Source:  Weibo 

• Like 3

September 24, 2017

Title:  “The Fortress”  Lee Byung Hun in resonance with time.  (Lee Byung Hun's interview with CINE21 - translated by a Chinese fan in Weibo) 

20170919_5.jpg

Isolated in Namhan Fortress.  The people suffered torture because of hunger and 
cold weather during 47 days of war.  In order to save the lives of the people, Official 
Choi Myung Gil admonished the clueness King Injo that “ we cannot stand death 
but we can tolerate shame. ”  “ Not to become a hero, nor the teacher who taught 
whatever. ”  Armed with this faith and ignoring the danger that threatens his life, 
Choi Myung Gil, through Lee Byung Hun’s strong eyes and voice, secured strength.   
It is like not having watched the movie and anticipating with excitement for the 
movie preview; Lee Byung Hun shows the value of “The Fortress”  through 
strong self-confidence.

Q: Director Huang Dong Hyuck said that  “ Kim Hoon’s original work has strong and serious lines.  So it is not easy for the actors to express these lines easily.”   This conveyed such difficulties. 
A:  “I do not agree with that.  I believe that the simple tone and slightly blunt 
words actually helped one assume the role in scene.  Being able to experience  the time and gravitate closer to the character while delivering the lines contributed to the  the seriousness.  That is a good thing.

Q: The script faithfully displays the monumentous existence of the original work.  The TV drama version is executed neatly and cleanly, void of any emotional distortions. This is impressive.

A: In order to inspire us, writer Kim Hoon visited the set.  “ Although this is an adaptation of a strenuous book, the script is really well written.” This being said, this is Director Huang Dong Hyuck’s strength.  In fact, the process of filming is especially notable as the first time filiming was attempted without a supervision system.  Normally when a movie is shot, the actors need to imagine the kinds of feelings to interpret; the director also would not clearly express what effect is desired. So in the early stages of shooting, not much more is required other than saying, “I'll look at it.”

Q: Choi Myung Gil was someone resented by others at the time for making a proposition that is practical and sensible. In contrast to a character that experiences a gradual change and awakening to fit the image of the role, he exemplified determination and perseverance. So what is the focus of the part played?

A: The characters in this movie demonstrate greater change in train of thought than change in their core beliefs. This even applies to the one who, until the very end, remains suspicious, never yielding and vociferous. Whether it is Myung Gil  or Sang Hun, neither yielded to the views of the other. As these parts are completely correct and normal, no mistakes can be attributed. This film does not want the audience to focus emotionally on a particular person; it wants the audience to observe with a 50 to 50 perspective. While there is a problem on the side of the script, I still hope it becomes the greatest charm and highlight.

Q: In which aspect do you think the belief upheld by Choi Myung Gil can move people today?

A: For instance, Myung Gil  delivers lines such as “Save the people” with rational and principle. This line is actually added with the request of director Huang Dong Hyuck. I have always thought that in the film, whether it is Myung Gil  or other characters, the purpose is not the creation of a heroic image. Under such a collision of ideas, I think it is best to have more than just the listening of opposing views; it is preferable to foster the understanding of what each other bears in the heart.

Q:  Recently, there are complaints about the sense of fatigue caused by Korean genres.  In addition, the lack of projects for actresses is becoming a problem.  

A:  The popularity of movies with specific genres is the result of the times.  In crime action films, the story of corruption is often told.  As a lot of emphasis is placed on this genre, there are a lot of roles for male actors. Yet I do not know exactly when Korea started experiencing a lack in female roles. Recently, I cooperated with female director Lee Jo Young in "Single Rider" and senior actress Youn Yuh Jung in "It's My World".  These scripts made me feel happy as they are very good projects.  If I come across such scripts again, I will definitely seize the opportunity.  

Q: The plan to work in Hollywood projects are not yet confirmed?

A:  It is rather strange.  Originally, I plan to work half the time in Korea and half the time in Hollywood. But in reality, this is impossible. After visiting studios and attending parties, it becomes evident that actors living there and those visiting occasionally are treated differently.  As far as Asian actors are concerned, if they have acted once in a movie, many simply relocated there. This is understandable. Also, there has been advice to consider such a move and I have thought about trying. However, there are way too many fine works that can be produced in my own language. In the end, although I make my own choices to pursue a seamless match, such decisions should be made without pressure or restrictions.  

Source: CINE21.com through  Weibo

• Like 3

September 23, 2017

Owning Is Half The Battle: The 15 Most Expensive G.I. Joe Figures

by Brian Cronin CBR.com

In 1964, Hasbro successfully broke into the gigantic doll market with an entry designed for boys. Its innovation was as simple as calling the dolls “action figures.” Their G.I. Joe line was a massive success. However, by the end of the 1970s, the costs of producing the over-sized figures were becoming cost-prohibitive, so the line was in trouble. Luckily, a rival toy company, Kenner, came up with a clever solution to the problem. In the late 1970s, Kenner obliterated the competition with the release of its line of Star Wars action figures to tie in with the then-new film. Kenner was so taken aback by how popular the film was, they didn’t even have the toys ready in time for Christmas 1977, so they had to sell pre-orders instead.

Hasbro took that idea and used it on its G.I. Joe line, creating a whole universe where the heroic military figures fight against villainous terrorists. Hasbro’s innovation was to make its toys highly articulated, so you could do a lot more with the figures than the Star Wars equivalents. G.I. Joe became a cultural sensation, with a hit toy line, cartoon and comic book series. Here, according to ToyWorth, are the 15 most expensive G.I. Joe action figures. These are all figures that were released individually and in stores. No mailaways or prototypes or special two-packs. Prices are based on figures sealed in original packaging.

15. FLINT ($375)

14. DUSTY ($400)

13. BARONESS ($450)

12. ZAP (TWO-HANDED BAZOOKA) ($500)

11. DESTRO ($500)

10. SHORT-FUZE (CLOSED MORTAR HANDLE) ($600)

9. STORM SHADOW ($600)

The way that the G.I. Joe system used to work in the old days was that Hasbro would design the figures and then they would give them to Larry Hama, the writer of the G.I. Joe comic book series for Marvel, the creatives of which would then help Hasbro come up with the overall G.I. Joe vs. Cobra plotline for the toy series.

Hama would then come up with a background and a personality for the character, and often a real name. Hasbro came up with the codenames (and occasionally the real ones, too). Storm Shadow, released in 1984 as part of series 3, was the first Asian character released in the series, and Hama didn’t like that the first Asian character was a villain, so he slowly turned Storm Shadow into a good guy.

8. SCARLETT (VERSION TWO) ($625)

7. FIREFLY ($650)

6. SNAKE-EYES (FOURTH SERIES) ($650)

5. DUKE ($700)

4. SCARLETT (FIRST SERIES) ($700)

3. COBRA COMMANDER ($900)

2. SNAKE-EYES (VERSION TWO) ($1050)

1. SNAKE-EYES (FIRST SERIES) ($1300)

• Like 1

Photo List: Dynamic Acting Studio, Seoul  @d.a.studio_korea

Talented, admirable and respectable Korean actors

#HwangJungMin #JeonDoYeon # ChoJinWoong # ChunWooHee
#NaMoonHee #YooHaeJin #HanSukKyu # KimHyeSoo 
#SongKangHo #SulKyungGu# MoonSoRi #KwakDoWon 
#OhDalSu #BaeDooNa #JoSeungWoo #KimHyeJa  
#LeeSunGyun #GongHyoJin # KimYoonSeok #JangJinYoung 
#LeeByungHun #KimYunJin #GoHyunJung #ParkHaeIl

21910783_269084530264648_331051539395248

• Like 3

September 25, 2017

Just to post these first -- there're (at least) 2 promo events for THE FORTRESS today. If not mistaken, one is the press preview or media conference and right now, a special screening. Not sure if the latter is the VIP screening. Oh.. it is the VIP screening.. lovely MJ is there to cheer on her hubby. :wub:

I'm barely finishing with compiling the production event photos from last month (some 200+pics), haha.. rubie is that slow these days. :lol: For sure there will be tons of pics today, as well. *faints*

Hope the reviews will be good.. 

This afternoon

20170925173318988gyma.jpg

Right now

이병헌, \'남한산성\' 대박!

201709252012902237_1.jpg

• Like 4