Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Do you think Director Kim will cast JWS in this movie :rolleyes:

http://photo-media.daum-img.net/200806/05/...13207.338.0.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/movie/view...8635&cp=akn

Rough translation:

Variety news reported that Director Kim has signed a contract with Hollywood to do a remake of French Director Claude Soteui's 1971 movie "Max & Junkman"; Director Kim and the production team had met up in Busan FF last Oct and had verbally agreed to help direct the project.

Well, who knows? Maybe another full-pledged Korean feature after the Hollywood stint for Dir. Kim.. which is awesome, btw! Thanks Janice for the update.. I wouldn't have known about this. It's about time, Hollywood or otherwise taking full notice of this man.

When I first read about Dir. KJW's project of GBW after he had finished A Bittersweet Life 3 years ago.. although I thought that LBH & Dir. Kim makes a really cool team together.. we might have to wait years before actually seeing the dynamic duo heating up the big screen again. Who would have thought that we don't have to wait years to see Dir. Kim and LBH working together.. with bonuses of SKH & JWS to boot.

So, we would never know.

rubes hunnie, i dont know if i'm just dense or too slow today but i still didnt get what you meant by not talking about BD now and you being late than the others??? :unsure: Is there a rule here in LBH thread that we can no longer talk about BD? Should we talk about BD in it's thread only? Is it becoz it's a very old series already? Well, some BD-enthusiasts cannot stop talking about it up to now. I dont think there is a reason to prevent others if they want to talk about it. Why let go if you dont want to? Anyway, BD will still remain as one of my most fave K-drama series of all time.

There's no written rule, or unwritten rule or whatever. Just that .. time had caught up with this very hopeless soul. After the unexpected 'bout of sickness a while ago.. I just felt a lot tired than I'm used to. Sparks missing.

Seriously, there's never a hint to prevent anyone from talking about BD *nooooo!* .. it's quite the contrary actually and BD will always be our fave series where LBH is concerned. But keeping it as the best in our hearts and sharing it are just two different things.

Do you think Director Kim will cast JWS in this movie :rolleyes:

http://photo-media.daum-img.net/200806/05/...13207.338.0.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/movie/view...8635&cp=akn

Rough translation:

Variety news reported that Director Kim has signed a contract with Hollywood to do a remake of French Director Claude Soteui's 1971 movie "Max & Junkman"; Director Kim and the production team had met up in Busan FF last Oct and had verbally agreed to help direct the project.

Thanks Janice for the highlight, here's a much detailed story on man-of-the-hour .. Dir. Kim Jee Woon.

Wednesday, 04 June 2008

Kim to direct remake of France's "Max"

Written by John Hopewell and Patrick Frater

kjw1ivl1.jpg

Investment from outside the U.S. continued to fuel high-profile projects at Cannes, as Kim Jee-woon, the sought-after Korean director whose "The Good the Bad the Weird" wrapped the fest's special screenings, signed to helm a remake of 1970s French classic "Max et les Ferrailleurs" (Max and the Junkmen). Thriller is the first to be advanced under a three-picture deal between France's StudioCanal and Lion Rock Prods., John Woo and Terence Chang's Los Angeles production shingle. The Asian filmmakers plan to tap into the Gallic conglom's extensive library of French and English-language titles for possible remakes. "I'm a big fan of French noir, especially Claude Sautet's films, and I'd like to move this one to modern times," Kim tells Variety.

Sautet's "Max" had the titular lonesome detective (Michel Piccoli) setting up some small-time thieves to pull a heist, thinking he'd arrest them and boost his flagging reputation. But Max falls for the gang leader's gal, played by Romy Schneider.

"It will be important to concentrate on the two central characters' relationship and keep the emotions," Kim says.

Pic, to be titled simply "Max," will be made as an English-language retread scripted by Howard Rodman and possibly set in the U.S. Budget and casting have yet to be determined, though StudioCanal says it would aim for significant star power and delivery in spring 2009.

Kim says "Max" will be his next helming gig.

"Max" is set up as a production involving Zip Cinema's Lee Eugene, Chang and Woo, and Black Mask Prods.' Hugo Bergson-Vuillaume. StudioCanal's senior veep Ron Halpern will take an exec producer credit. Kim, Lee and Chang are CAA clients.

Development to date is covered by StudioCanal. It's envisaged that "Max" will be fully financed by StudioCanal, which may take international rights.

The Kim deal ties down one of Asia's brightest young helming talent. The reported $17 million budget of "The Good The Bad The Weird," an energetic Korean Western, is on the high side by Korean standards. Its enthusiastic Cannes reception looks set to broaden Kim's considerable following.

'Kim's one of the best directors working today," Chang says. "He can do anything."

Echoes StudioCanal CEO Olivier Courson, "I was incredibly impressed by 'A Bittersweet Life,' and the solitary character there has parallels in 'Max.' "

The "Max" redo also underscores the ranging ambition of StudioCanal's amped-up production strategy under Courson. It's a forceful reminder that, with movies in the mid-budget range or below, a bevy of Gallic companies are moving in on key talent. And their radar's not limited to Europe.

StudioCanal remains fully committed to producing high-profile French films, usually in the $11 million-$19 million range, Courson explains.

But it will also make "auteur films with commercial potential, and more entertainment-driven, 'biggest-budget' films. For the latter, at $60 million-$70 million, we're look for U.S. partners," he adds.

"We want to make international titles that are very ambitious and very entertaining. Thrillers fit both descriptions," Courson says.

Further titles will be produced by Will Clarke at StudioCanal's U.K. subsid Optimum Releasing. During Cannes, Clarke announced Brit redos of "Brighton Rock" and 1981 French hitman thriller "Le Choc."

Courson says StudioCanal is "highly interested" in working with Asian talent. Last year, it produced Wong Kar-wai's "My Blueberry Nights." It's now preparing a Johnnie To-helmed remake of "Le Cercle Rouge." That pic, budgeted at roughly $35 million, has a start date of Sept 20.

StudioCanal confirmed its Neil Moritz-produced remake of "Escape From New York" remains on course, even after New Line Cinema's downsizing.

Source: Variety Asia

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/6222/

Off topic for Dir. KJW :blush:

June 05 2008

Kim Ji-Woon and John Woo Teaming For Remake Of MAX ET LES FERRAILLEURS!

Posted by Todd Brown at 7:04am

maxpv1.jpg

Oh, my ... it’s mighty hard not to get excited about the possibilities of this one. Korean director Kim Ji-Woon - of The Good The Bad And The Weird, A Bittersweet Life and A Tale of Two Sisters fame - is reportedly teaming up with Hong Kong legend John Woo for an English language remake of 1970’s French heist film Max et les Ferrailleurs. Kim will be directing with Woo and his business partner Terence Chang producing, which is a sort of crazy Asian dream team, really. Between this and the upcoming Johnnie To remake of Le Cercle Rouge I’m going to have to brush up on my French action films ...

Source: twitchfilm.net

June 5, 2008

KIM Jee-woon's kimchi western sells like hot cakes

postergbw.jpg

Innovative director KIM Jee-woon presented with The Good, the Bad, and the Weird one of the most anticipated and applauded films at Festival de Cannes, which is reflected in the slate of international distribution right sales at the Cannes market by CJ Entertainment.

The kimchi western – a reference to the influence of Sergio Leone’s spaghetti western The Good, the Ugly, the Bad – stars LEE Byung-hun, SONG Kang-ho and JUNG Woo-sung, three star actors with international appeal.

So far, most interest was expressed by European and Asian buyers. Icon Film obtained the UK rights and Huayi Brothers bought the rights for the Chinese market. Innoform (Singapore) Maywin Media (Russia), Horizon International (Turkey), Independenta (Romania), and Farabi (Iran) also successfully pursued the distribution rights for The Good, the Bad, and the Weird.

KIM said that the Cannes version was not yet fully finalized. He also spoke of different versions of the film. The international version holds more references to Sergio Leone’s classic, while the Korean version will be more directed at entertainment.

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird will open in Korean cinemas in July. KIM previously showed originality in A Bittersweet Life (Dalkomhan Insaeng), A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa Hongryeon), and A Quiet Family (Joyonghan Gajeong).

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

Guest shred

^ wow - that's exciting to hear! but i really hope GBW does well in Korea ... if i remember it correct, as much as BSL was applauded by critics and international fans, it didn't fare well in Korea - right?

I downloaded the Dixv player to watch the clip and google simply dun co-operate with me lately ..... be it wvm or flv format :fury:

Maybe you should undo everything and start watching the clip from basic. :sweatingbullets: Or maybe google is just undergoing some maintenance and doesn't want to cooperate with us. :ph34r:

Aish.. panda tips from someone with endless pc problem. :sweatingbullets:

dunno if i'm too late but you ladies might want to download the KMPlayer instead. it practically plays almost any video file and i love its screencapping functions! :D

Guest Janie Simply

... the GI Joe team is obviously rushing to meet their June dateline. And we can't wait to see BH back home.. in July, too.

We might be able to see him as early as in the next few days!

20080606075006.870.0.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/broadcast/...65&cp=donga

Baidu

Rough translation:

G. I. Joe will open their filming set to the public on June 7 & 8; Paramount has invited media from the States & Europe to come and tour the set; Most likely there will be a press conference. The production team & actors like LBH, Sienna Miller, Dennis etc are scheduled to be present at the meeting.

skip...

Due to the rainy season in Prague, the shooting was made delayed but will wrap up soon; Lee will be heading back to Korea next month and will be getting ready for the big budget Iris drama.

We might be able to see him as early as in the next few days!

http://photo-media.daum-img.net/200806/06/...75006.870.0.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/broadcast/...65&cp=donga

Baidu

Rough translation:

G. I. Joe will open their filming set to the public on June 7 & 8; Paramount has invited media from the States & Europe to come and visit the set; Most likely there will be a press conference. The productin team & actors like LBH, Sienna Miller, Dennis etc are scheduled to be present at the meeting.

skip...

Due to the rainy season in Prague, the shooting was made delayed but will wrap up soon; Lee will be heading back to Korea next month and will be getting ready for the big budget Iris drama.

Today is June 6th in Asia.. we're I'm going for another Cannes headache.. waiting for the 7th & 8th to come! fainting.gif

On the other hand.. absolutely .. cannot wait to see BH & his GI Joe team. Great gist! Quickly wrap up the movie already.. getting so Hunnie-homesick waiting for it to finish. :P

ps: Janice.. I think you got your highly anticipated drama all mixed-up..

Guest Janie Simply

The news said "tomorrow" but I knew some will confuse the date, that is why I said in a few days time :P I think there will also be distributors there to sign the distribution right, marketing strategy :sweatingbullets:

ps: Janice.. I think you got your highly anticipated drama all mixed-up..

Rubie, how so? It's IRIS right, not "The World They Live In" :unsure: Please explain, I'm confused :o

The news said "tomorrow" but I knew some will confused the date that is why I said in a few days time :P

Rubie, how so? It's IRIS right, not "The World They Live In" :unsure: Please explain, I'm confused :o

It's your siggy lahh.. it's neither IRIS or TWTLI.

Guest Janie Simply

I see, I see! Ha har, got a couple of pms already regarding the siggy, didn't know it would cause such a storm :sweatingbullets: Wonder if Jung offered Song a VIP ticket to GBW premiere :P

I see, I see! Ha har, got a couple of pms already regarding the siggy, didn't know it would cause such a storm :sweatingbullets: Wonder if Jung offered Song a VIP ticket to GBW premiere :P

Sure.. why not? It's a movie, after all.. for a known colleague, of course.

Hope we'd have some IRIS banners, too.. although BH fans are mostly :mellow: .. not really the "young ones". :sweatingbullets: Anyway.. we'd still have GBW and ICWTR to follow through first. :rolleyes: Wah.. Hunnie projects lining up for his fans' treat of a lifetime. Despite the very long absence.. he sure knows how to heat up all the panda hearts..

Guest Janie Simply

Anyway.. we'd still have GBW and ICWTR to follow through first. :rolleyes: Wah.. Hunnie projects lining up for his fans' treat of a lifetime. Despite the very long absence.. he sure knows how to heat up all the panda hearts..

Rubie, you seem to be very good at predicting every move of BH; Let's see who are the lucky fans here :sweatingbullets:

Japanese Promotional tour to watch GBW in Seoul & June 6 is the deadline.

http://www.hanatour.co.jp/hallyu/good_bad_weird.asp

Here's more from the above:

http://media.daum.net/entertain/movie/view...mp;cp=hankookis

LBH will there in person!

The first screening of GBW will be held at Jamsil Olympic Stadium on July 6 at 2 p.m. This premiere is exclusively for Japanese Fans from 15 regions of Japan such as Tokyo, Nagoya, Sappora. There will be around 3000 expected audience. The movie will be screened in Japanese subtitles.

LBH will give a brief greeting before joining the fans in watching the movie.

The official premiere of GBW with the media is set on July 7; the country wide screening will be on July 17.

LBH will be back in Korea at the end of this month; He will attend the Japanese Premiere and then join the rest of his team for various movie promo activities thereafter.

P.S. Not only will our Japanese fans receive the VIP treatment, many of them will have the chance to take this sourvenior home.

http://www.hanatour.co.jp/hallyu/nom_pop.htm

Credit: Baidu

Rubie, you seem to be very good at predicting every move of BH; Let's see who are the lucky fans here :sweatingbullets:

Japanese Promotional tour to watch GBW in Seoul & June 6 is the deadline.

http://www.hanatour.co.jp/hallyu/good_bad_weird.asp

Nahh! I don't like to predict and do not foresee anything about LBH.. it takes too much out of everything especially what's left of our common senses. But I do have great hopes coming to him based on his work, the person & actor he is.

It's not hard to see the treats for the (Japanese) fans. Anyone can actually "predict" that.. :lol:

Wonder if our Sung-ja and michikyou going to Seoul or watching GBW in Tokyo instead? :blush:

--- before this panda forgets.. :sweatingbullets:

Thanks chula for the valuable tech advise, really appreciate it! ^^

Guest ellabel

^ wow - that's exciting to hear! but i really hope GBW does well in Korea ... if i remember it correct, as much as BSL was applauded by critics and international fans, it didn't fare well in Korea - right?

dunno if i'm too late but you ladies might want to download the KMPlayer instead. it practically plays almost any video file and i love its screencapping functions! :D

I hope so too, maja. U remember correctly.... wag ka sana magdilang anghel.... hahaha..

Not bad for BH to get another B.O. hit in his belt. ;)

Thanks janice for all the LBH news.... G.I. Joe, GBW premier.

So many GBW merchandise. Hunnie's Japanese fans will surely buy them.

Guest Janie Simply

Thanks janice for all the LBH news.... G.I. Joe, GBW premier.

So many GBW merchandise. Hunnie's Japanese fans will surely buy them.

You'll welcome, Ellabel; My pipeline comes from Baidu :)

A bit blinkblink from panda :blink: and still too big for banners :wacko: aish..

BLINK2.gif

Whoa..., rubie, that blinkblink of yours, pretty dramatic :sweatingbullets: can surely see the Storm riders/raiders "braving the dust-storm together", Fighting :sweatingbullets:

Oh, for those who are celebrating this festival, enjoy eating this "pyramid" sticky rice dumpling :P Look at that juicy egg yolk, pretty Bon appetit :sweatingbullets: I think de "Zhang" will go well with kimchi :sweatingbullets:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t252/jc_rain/1-1.jpg

Thanks to the highlight by PlanetBH0712, from Lucy at original source at LBH.SG

z_MMEDIA5.gifTVB Cannes

http://www.s7star.com/lucy/TVB_cannes.wmv

---

Uhh, Janice.. it's always a pleasure sharing news updates/pics/articles/translation (no problem with that, the more the merrier ^^).. but let's go easy with the personal comments/remarks posted at other threads, shall we? :sweatingbullets: Especially on stuff that could lead to unnecessary misunderstanding. After the All In unexpected hoo-haa.. I'll have to think and think again before I post anything.