Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

August 16, 2009

'District 9' invades top of box office

Sony's alien pic beats out bevy of new releases

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Sony's high-concept, sci-fi thriller "District 9" grossed an impressive $37 million from 3,049 theaters to win the race at the domestic box office, largely on the strength of males.

Placing No. 2 for the weekend at the domestic B.O. was Paramount's "G.I. Joe: The Revenge of Cobra," which fell 59% to an estimated $22.5 million from 4,007 theaters for a cume of $98.8 million. [LOL.. Variety.com just gave GI Joe the title for their sequel :P ]

It was a busy weekend at the domestic box as four other new releases opened in addition to "District 9."

Warner Bros. and New Line's romantic drama "The Time Traveler's Wife" came in No. 3, grossing an estimated $19 million from 2,988 runs.

Paramount Vantage's "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" did only modest biz in its opening, grossing an estimated $5.3 million from 1,838 runs to place No. 6 for the ses

Disney's "Ponyo" grossed an estimated $3.5 million from 927 screns in its debut to come in No.9.

Not making the top 10 chart in its bow was Summit Entertainment and Walden Media's teen musical-driven comedy "Bandslam," which grossed $2.3 million from 2,121 theaters.

Source: variety.com

August 16, 2009

Review -- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)

by HELEN GEIB commentarytrack.com

Watching G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is much like settling in to read several issues of the comic book it’s based on back-to-back, except the movie has much more impressive special effects than the imagination can provide. Ideal Saturday matinee material, it’s good frivolous fun. The only thing G.I. Joe takes seriously is the mission to entertain.

A title card that sets the film “sometime in the near future” is the preface to a presentation to a group of NATO bigwigs by arms magnate McCullen (Christopher Eccleston) on his latest and greatest technological marvel, so-called nanomites that eat metal until instructed to stop. The potential military applications are readily apparent (and needless to say, amply and vividly demonstrated by the magic of Hollywood’s technical wizards at a later point in the story). Hijacking the military convoy transporting the nanomite missiles is only the opening salvo in McCullen’s evil plan. While he makes use of all sorts of futuristic techno-weaponry and the ultimate in chemical-induced brainwashing, his ultimate aim is refreshingly old school: world domination.

The hijacked convoy was commanded by Duke (Channing Tatum) and Ripcord (Marlon Wayans), the best of the best in career military officers. Their guns, however, are no match for their assailants’ advanced weapons and body armor. Only the intervention of an equally well-outfitted G.I. Joe squad (temporarily) keeps the missiles from falling into the wrong hands. At their own insistence, Duke and Ripcord are subsequently recruited by G.I. Joe, a shadow wing of NATO made up of top soldiers from around the world, and the two serve as audience proxies as they are initiated into the inner workings of the titular organization.

Duke may fairly be said to be the main character, although there are numerous good guys and as many bad guys and the film makes an effort to not let any single person monopolize the camera’s attention. Duke’s relative prominence is partly due to the fact he’s the hero type, partly because he plays a key role in the origin story. And make no mistake, this is an origin story. Some may argue that G.I. Joe already exists as an entity when the film begins, but I say a shadow military force dedicated to preserving the world order can’t really be said to live until it has a worthy adversary. The Cobra that rises from the kernel of McCullen and his disparate minions is the worthy adversary.

The large cast and drawn with a few broad brushstrokes characterization makes the casting crucial. To that end the screen is filled with familiar faces, a mix of rising stars and established character actors. Tatum reminded me of Dennis Quaid c. Inner Space; a positive in and of itself, the likeness serves the story well since Duke is presented as the less sober and seasoned version of the Joe’s commanding officer Gen. Hawk, who is played by Quaid. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Arnold Vosloo, and Said Taghmaoui are a treat in support. Fan favorite Storm Shadow is played by Byung-hun Lee with great ninja brio, while Ray Park has the commanding physical presence as Snake Eyes that is essential for a character who doesn’t speak (one of the film’s better dialogue exchanges: “Why doesn’t he speak?” – “He doesn’t say.”). Here’s hoping the expected sequel materializes to continue their and others’ stories.

And that brings me to the action, which is plentiful and well-executed; the film was briskly and, thankfully in the case of the action, coherently directed by Stephen Sommers. The action is a mix of special effects-driven spectacle and special effects-augmented combat. Periodic martial arts-ish clashes between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are an expected highlight; they meet but to fight at key junctures through the main story, and active conflict is the main part of flashbacks to their early years as temple children being schooled in the ancient arts. Of the several action set-pieces, the best is a protracted chase through the streets – and occasionally the buildings – of Paris. It is the film in microcosm: many characters, many bullets, a few swords, lots of super-cool military stuff, respectable staging, good effects, piercing gazes, and just about the right number of one-liners.

3 stars

For the second week at the Korean B.O., 'GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra' maintains the #3 spot. The number 1 & 2 Korean movies have swapped places though. Not bad for Storm Shadow because the other two Korean films still have 200 more screens just like last week.

movie1.gifKorean Weekend Box-Office 2009.08.14 ~ 2009.08.16 (won)

1. Take Off 6,574,071,500

2. Haeundae 6,231,434,000

3. G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra 3,382,668,500

4. Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs 2,380,434,000

5. Public Enemies 1,530,588,000

August 17, 2009

There's an update/highlight of this at the JOFC but I have no idea what to guess.. is it a PHOTO Exhibition or something?

Google translated

Chanel Lee took a man, masculine charm pictorial public

Sankei Sports, a beauty-related sites in Japan, Lee Byung Hun 'skin YAMANOSARU dot' (www.yamanohada.com) was selected as a model of the campaign ... world's leading fashion designers as pictorial as a photographer and like a lager pel to the pictorial attractiveness of the male and the Hun ...

Japan Sankei Sports, Chanel's chief designer, who on July 17 Carl ragapeldeu (71) have taken Lee (39) has cut two of the pictorial.

Sankei Sports, a beauty-related sites in Japan, Lee Byung Hun 'skin YAMANOSARU dot' (www.yamanohada.com) was selected as a model photo shoot of the campaign, said that done. World as a fashion designer, photographer, and a lager as pel men like Lee and through the pictorial charm captured in the camera. Lee to exercise his chest muscles and hard-trodden deureonaetgo dwitaereul. Eyes were intense energy radiating charisma.

20090818ba007.jpg

Source: sportsseoul.com

Guest Hyc-ching

August 17, 2009

There's an update/highlight of this at the JOFC but I have no idea what to guess.. is it a PHOTO Exhibition or something?

Google translated

Chanel Lee took a man, masculine charm pictorial public

Sankei Sports, a beauty-related sites in Japan, Lee Byung Hun 'skin YAMANOSARU dot' (www.yamanohada.com) was selected as a model of the campaign ... world's leading fashion designers as pictorial as a photographer and like a lager pel to the pictorial attractiveness of the male and the Hun ...

Japan Sankei Sports, Chanel's chief designer, who on July 17 Carl ragapeldeu (71) have taken Lee (39) has cut two of the pictorial.

Sankei Sports, a beauty-related sites in Japan, Lee Byung Hun 'skin YAMANOSARU dot' (www.yamanohada.com) was selected as a model photo shoot of the campaign, said that done. World as a fashion designer, photographer, and a lager as pel men like Lee and through the pictorial charm captured in the camera. Lee to exercise his chest muscles and hard-trodden deureonaetgo dwitaereul. Eyes were intense energy radiating charisma.

http://img.sportsseoul.com/article/home/20...090818ba007.jpg

Source: sportsseoul.com

Thanks to Ping@bhjwlove.com for the brief translation

Lee Byung Hun is Japan yamanohada skin care products endorser

ヤマノ肌

http://www.yamanohada.com/index.html

gnj0908170504000-p1.jpg

<Purchase concession>

From August 18 ~ August 31 the 1st 5000 people to buy the "muscleノヤマ4 sets of primary care," will get “Love Letter”, the photos of promotional activities spokesperson Lee Byung Hun!

Thanks to Japanese angels for sharing

*:;,.★ ~☆・:.,;*LBH's diary

2009-08-16 21:19:18

http://ameblo.jp/byunghunlee/entry-10322245982.html

=夕焼け= Sunset

こんばんは。今日もソウルです。

Good evening, from Seoul ..

今日は昼過ぎに日本のスタッフと仕事のことや近況など電話で話をしました。

This afternoon, I talked to the staff in Japan over the phone about work and what's going on lately.

日本は今お盆休みと聞きましたので出掛けている方も多いのでしょうか。

I've heard it's "Bon" holiday in Japan right now, so I wonder many people are out of town...

それと東京は今日を含めてここ2、3日気持ちいの良い快晴のようですね。

Also, I heard it's been very pleasant and sunny for the past couple days in Tokyo.

ソウルも今日はこんな夕焼けが見れるほどの天気でした。

Souel also had nice enough of a weather today that we could see such a beautiful sunset.

「グッド・バッド・ウィアード」を観て、夏を乗り越えたらまもなく季節は秋ですね

After watching "Good, Bad, Weird" and getting over the summer, it'll be fall soon.

Thanks to Ping@bhjwlove.com for the brief translation

Lee Byung Hun is Japan yamanohada skin care products endorser

ヤマノ肌 http://www.yamanohada.com/index.html

<Purchase concession>

From August 18 ~ August 31 the 1st 5000 people to buy the "muscleノヤマ4 sets of primary care," will get “Love Letter”, the photos of promotional activities spokesperson Lee Byung Hun!

Can BH be the spokesperson for 2 cosmetic products at the same time :huh: .. albeit one is in Korea, the other in Japan? Suddenly the Storm Shadow stock value are really going up and up.. huh.. :P

Thanks Ching for the gist, and Ping too. Also the translation from Byunghun blog. Didn't know that he had the eye for sunsets. It would be even better observing the beautiful sunset scenery with someone special. Hope he will find someone for him soon.. a new love, a new woman just for him. :wub:

Btw.. there's a long article by JoongAng Daily today... also posted at the News thread. Didn't mention LBH specifically but here's something related via the new MISSHA endorsement.

August 17, 2009

Luxury cosmetics, with a male bent

Korea is leading the charge in the thriving men’s cosmetics industry.

Products have also become more diverse than ever. While before men’s cosmetic products were largely more or less regular creams and lotions, these days they focus on everything from wrinkles to firming up skin.

The competition is about to get even more heated in the coming months.

Missha Cosmetics will add a new men’s line, Missha Homme Urban Soul, by the end of August. Missha already has two men’s cosmetic lines, but the new one will feature products of enhanced quality and therefore will cost more.

The apparent hope is that the ads will make men say “I want to be like them” and make women say “I want my husband or boyfriend to look like them.”

By Song Ji-hye [hkim@joongang.co.kr] via INSIDE JoongAng Daily

Guest shinerelsie

'G.I. Joe' continues overseas box-office domination

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51pm EDT

By Frank Segers

P200908100808493931438146.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," the live-action feature based on the Hasbro toy line, held on to the top spot at the international box office and is nearing foreign grosses of $100 million after only 12 days of release.

The overseas box-office tally for the Paramount film nonetheless dropped nearly 40 percent from its opening round, registering $26.2 million overall from 7,039 screens in 49 markets. The movie's foreign total stands at $91.5 million, and its worldwide gross, including North America, is $190.3 million.

Sony introduced "District 9," which finished No. 1 in North America, in nine foreign markets for a total of $7 million drawn from 750 screens. Directed by Neill Blomkamp, a protege of producer Peter Jackson, the sci-fi tale of aliens in South Africa opened at No. 1 in Russia, New Zealand and Ukraine, and No. 2 in Australia.

Second for the weekend was Warner Bros.' "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," which registered $14.5 million from more than 8,000 screens in 64 markets, pushing its foreign gross to $577.7 million. Worldwide, the sixth "Harry Potter" has grossed $861.7 million, making it No. 17 among all-time box-office earners, behind "Finding Nemo."

No. 3 was 20th Century Fox's "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs," which bagged $11.2 million from 6,532 sites in 66 markets, with a $2.4 million opening in Korea. The animated threequel, with a foreign box-office total of $600.7 million, is now the first Fox film since 1997's "Titanic" (foreign gross of $1.24 billion) to cross the $600 million mark overseas.

Fourth was Pixar/Disney's "Up," which continued its marathon foreign run with a $10.6 million weekend from 2,396 screens in 19 territories. Its overseas total is $128 million, with a global box-office gross of $415 million.

No. 5 for the second consecutive weekend was Universal's "Public Enemies." Propelled by six market openings, the period crime drama directed by Michael Mann and starring Johnny Depp drew $9.2 million, lifting its foreign total to $75.5 million.

Fox's "Night at The Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" is winding up its overseas run, and going out with a bang. In its first weekend in Japan, the Ben Stiller comedy produced $8.62 million from 625 sites. The film's foreign total stands at $222.4 million.

Thanks to an $8 million weekend from 3,000 sites in 50 territories, Warner Bros.' hit comedy "The Hangover" raised its foreign box-office total to $136.6 million and its worldwide gross to more than $400 million.

"G-Force," a big-budget digital animation title from producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney, drew $6.7 million from 2,079 sites in 17 markets for a foreign total to date of $40.9 million.

Topping the U.K. charts was New Line's "The Time Traveler's Wife," a romantic drama co-starring Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. Its opening round produced $1.65 million from 426 sites.

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

August 16, 2009

'G.I. Joe' continues overseas domination

Closing in on $100 mil in only 12 days on foreign run

By Frank Segers hollywoodreporter.com

bhstorm1.jpg

Related

'District 9' tops North American boxoffice X

Expanding its No. 1 foreign run by 14 new markets on the weekend, Paramount's "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra's" overseas boxoffice tally nonetheless dropped nearly 40% from its opening round, registering $26.2 million overall from 7,039 screens in 49 territories.

Still, the live-action feature from director Stephen Sommers based on the Hasbro toy line is pressing the $100-million foreign gross mark (cume stands at $91.5 million) after only 12 days out on the international circuit. It remained in first place for the second consecutive weekend. Worldwide tally stand at $190.3 million.

Biggest of the openings in mostly medium-sized markets was Germany where "Cobra" finished No. 3 with $1.9 million from 474 locations. Major holdovers included Korea ($3.1 million from 377 sites for a cume of $10.4 million), Russia ($2.6 million from 510 situations, cume $9 million) and China ($2.2 million from 990 locales, cume $9.5 million).

P200908100808493931438146.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," the live-action feature based on the Hasbro toy line, held on to the top spot at the international box office and is nearing foreign grosses of $100 million after only 12 days of release.

The overseas box-office tally for the Paramount film nonetheless dropped nearly 40 percent from its opening round, registering $26.2 million overall from 7,039 screens in 49 markets. The movie's foreign total stands at $91.5 million, and its worldwide gross, including North America, is $190.3 million.

Sony introduced "District 9," which finished No. 1 in North America, in nine foreign markets for a total of $7 million drawn from 750 screens. Directed by Neill Blomkamp, a protege of producer Peter Jackson, the sci-fi tale of aliens in South Africa opened at No. 1 in Russia, New Zealand and Ukraine, and No. 2 in Australia.

Second for the weekend was Warner Bros.' "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," which registered $14.5 million from more than 8,000 screens in 64 markets, pushing its foreign gross to $577.7 million. Worldwide, the sixth "Harry Potter" has grossed $861.7 million, making it No. 17 among all-time box-office earners, behind "Finding Nemo."

No. 3 was 20th Century Fox's "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs," which bagged $11.2 million from 6,532 sites in 66 markets, with a $2.4 million opening in Korea. The animated threequel, with a foreign box-office total of $600.7 million, is now the first Fox film since 1997's "Titanic" (foreign gross of $1.24 billion) to cross the $600 million mark overseas.

Fourth was Pixar/Disney's "Up," which continued its marathon foreign run with a $10.6 million weekend from 2,396 screens in 19 territories. Its overseas total is $128 million, with a global box-office gross of $415 million.

No. 5 for the second consecutive weekend was Universal's "Public Enemies." Propelled by six market openings, the period crime drama directed by Michael Mann and starring Johnny Depp drew $9.2 million, lifting its foreign total to $75.5 million.

Fox's "Night at The Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" is winding up its overseas run, and going out with a bang. In its first weekend in Japan, the Ben Stiller comedy produced $8.62 million from 625 sites. The film's foreign total stands at $222.4 million.

Thanks to an $8 million weekend from 3,000 sites in 50 territories, Warner Bros.' hit comedy "The Hangover" raised its foreign box-office total to $136.6 million and its worldwide gross to more than $400 million.

"G-Force," a big-budget digital animation title from producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney, drew $6.7 million from 2,079 sites in 17 markets for a foreign total to date of $40.9 million.

Topping the U.K. charts was New Line's "The Time Traveler's Wife," a romantic drama co-starring Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. Its opening round produced $1.65 million from 426 sites.

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

Looks like LBH is the new model of Maestro (men's fashion line) ;)

http://bntnews.hankyung.com/apps/news?popu...p;mode=sub_view

KMM was last year's model ;)

Hi Michelle, thanks so much for the highlight. So.. this is what the MAESTRO Classic Edge was all about.. saw it mentioned in the media but had no inkling.. obviously. :blush: But wow.. 2 endorsement news in a day.. Byunghun-ssi is really storming it up. :lol:

9a19475d5a03427c8344c57ebfa44749.jpg

Kinda surprised a bit.. at least for me.. that he's endorsing a menswear line again after his last contract ended in 2003 with Chasecult (taken up by KRW) and before that Trugen (taken up by SSH). But then as our Hunnie is absolutely manly-charismatic.. especially now.. so sexy despite almost 40 with his acting exposure going worldwide.. it's only natural.. no? :D

August 18, 2009

Bangkok film fest lines up 'Old Hollywood Glamour'

By By Parinyaporn Pajee l Daily Xpress

As visitor arrivals fall off, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is hoping lure punters back with "Old Hollywood Glamour" at the seventh Bangkok International Film Festival from September 24 to 30.

There's hope the fest will generate Bt3 billion worth of spending and deals for the film industry, officials said yesterday.

"The TAT has invested Bt25 million out of Bt80 million, while the rest comes from the Federation of National Film Associations of Thailand and the private sector," says Jareuk Kaljareuk, federation president and festival director.

The theme, "Old Hollywood Glamour", means to combine the Hollywood's 1930s golden era with Thailand's of the 1960s.

More than 80 features have been selected by the Thai Film Director's Association. "This year the trend for film festivals is to show serious movies and the Bangkok International Film Festival is no exception," says programming director Pimpaka Towira.

The opening and closing films were not revealed but confirmed titles include the Canadian drama "I Killed My Mother", the Cannes' Grand Prix winner "Un Prophete", the Thailand-set Swedish thriller "Mammoth" and "Burma VJ" by Danish documentarian Anders Ostergaard.

Action hero Jean-Claude Van Damme and South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun from "G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra" will be among 200 stars strutting the red carpets. An opulent opening is set for CentralWorld while a welcoming banquet will be held on the Chao Phya. The Golden Kinnaree Awards are set for the Dusit Thani's Chatrium Suites Bangkok.

Seminars will focus on business concerns. "We will bring foreign filmmakers and investors to share their experience with Thai filmmakers. It will portray how Thai film industry can build up the creative economy," says Asst Prof Dr Chavana Pavaganun, festival vice-director.

Source: nationmultimedia.com

I was at Toys R Us this weekend and went for the GI JOE toys corner which btw, was at the front of the store. All the Storm Shadow figures and such were out of stock only the not of interest to me where left. So sad. Oh I saw one Storm Shadow item, a gift bag but he had his mask on. :P

August 18, 2009

The Maestro Choice

Top actor Lee Byung Hun has been selected as the model for the Maestro 'Classic Edge (Edge Classic)' men's fashion line. highlighting the fall and winter seasons collection.

He was the perfect choice based on his strong charisma and thorough self-management to achieve the perfect body and well-known soft smile that captures the hearts of many.

AKR20090818073500003_01_i.jpg

Source: yonhapnews.co.kr

Guest polaris

Lee Byung Hun ROCKED in GI JOE. Wow.. he seriously stole the show in my opinion. AND.. I was so impressed by his english and charisma. Wow.. so proud of him!!!

Can you believe the guy is almost 40?? He actually has less wrinkles than Sienna Miller.. even though she's 20 something.

Anyway, I'm totally going to go watch this movie again this coming Friday. Seriously it is worth it just to see LBH in his all white outfits and his crazy insanely chiseled abs. (anyone who wants to see his crazy abs other than this movie.. I highly recommend The Good, The Bad , and the Weird) ... in that movie .. HIS BODY IS CRAZZYYYY

^ Hi polaris, welcome to EverythingLBH! Very happy to meet and see you here. Isn't Storm Shadow just so sexy.. :lol: .. even for fans.. seeing him in GI Joe.. sure gave a huge treat and better than expectated.. for a Hollywood debut considering that it isn't a main role& other factors. But we don't mind being wrong.. :lol: and the movie did very well at the B.O., too.

Do continue to share your Storm Shadow thoughts with us and everything Lee Byung Hun, we'd love to hear more. Gosh.. a second serving of Storm Shadow would be sooooooo yummy. :D Oohh.. a sole story of Storm Shadow.. sounds so cool!

zacey-hunnie.. have you watched GI Joe.. what are your thoughts?

Aug 17, 2009, 01:48 PM ET

Bangkok fest embraces homegrown cinema

Will promote Thailand as filmmaking destination

By Patrick Frater

HONG KONG -- The seventh Bangkok International Film Festival is set to be an event more focused on regional cinema than in previous years, organizers said.

"The film program will reflect and display the growing strength of filmmakers in the ASEAN region, the role of film in rapidly changing societies, and the technological developments that have made this possible," said Jareuk Kaljareuk, chairman of the Federation of National Film Associations of Thailand and festival director. "The program will focus particularly on the new generation of filmmakers in the region, throughout Asia, and around the world."

Kaljareuk said the lineup would include more than 80 films, but at a news conference in Bangkok on Monday he did not name any. He confirmed, however, that celebrities including Jean-Claude Van Damme, Lee Byung-hun and action star Armand Assante are scheduled to attend.

The event, which is backed by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, will unspool at the SF World Cinema and Paragon Cineplex in downtown Bangkok from Sept. 24-30.

Promoting Thailand as a filmmaking destination is also high on the agenda. "(The festival) is a great opportunity to promote the Thai film industry and also promote Thailand not only as the entertainment hub of the region, but as an increasingly important international filmmaking center," Tourism Authority chairman Weerasak Kowsurat said.

"For a number of years, the Thai film industry has expanded both in its technological advances, its professional skills, and its artistic development. It is ready to take its place as a leading member of the international filmmaking community," Kaljareuk said.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

Thanks so much cutiepie for the Star Magazine clip, your sweet sharing really made our days.. every time! :wub:

Korean Dramas & Movies Forum Rules [

X]

16. Do not post "I own this page" or make "thread milestone celebrations."

It is not necessary to have five pages of variations of "I own this page" or "Congratulations on making 1000 pages!"

We may prune the forums anytime so there is no point in celebrating.

It's really not an easy path reaching this day... lots of heartaches along the way with various setbacks but we will still make it, as being inspired by our Byunghun-ssi makes EverythingLBH really worth everything. And always, the BEST will always prevail with special Byunghun moments to cherish.

Hopefully we will get a note from BH.. or maybe not.. as it's also 'Byunghun of our Hearts' 2nd anniversary and hitting the 175,000 mark recently. But we'll never give up or be affected, right.. always sharing about our one & only.

Hope everyone will continue sharing positively about actor Lee Byung Hun who really proved his incredible passion, true commitment and real acting ability.. really shines through.

August 18, 2009

Korean Actor Lee Byunghun Takes on the World in GI Joe

1_l_1249378609.jpg

Lee Byung-hun’s GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra is doing impressive business around the world. The movie based on the Hasbro action figures made 56.2 million at the box office in North America over the last weekend, 100 million worldwide storming into 35 territories combined.

Other Korean stars such as Rain and Gianna Jun appeared in Speed Racer and Blood the Last Vampire respectively, but these films failed to garner much international attention or substantial box office results. This is the first time that a Hollywood film, starring a Korean actor speaking English has had this much international success.

Such success may create more opportunities for Korean stars overseas. Rain is currently shooting his second Hollywood film Ninja Assassin. GI Joe opened here in Korea August 7 and has already racked up 1,000,000 in admissions.

Credits: David Oxenbridge (KOFIC)

All news partly gisted - mostly guessed

August 18, 2009

Lee: In condolence to ex-president DJ

Ex-President Kim Dae-jung Passes Away [koreatimes.co.kr]

200908181727352100_1.jpg

[OSEN News] Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun in a statement regarding the death of former President Kim Dae-jung.

When contacted via a telephone interview through BH Entertainment on August 18, Lee Byunghun expresses "Kim Dae-jung, the former president have lived contributing a great glory through his life and administration. I pray for the soul of the deceased," he said, conveying words of condolence.

The actor who was in a meeting at his agency when the news broke, had paused for a moment's rememberance of the former president.

Source: issue@osen.co.kr l osen.freechal.com

Lee Byunghun ranks 23 at IMDB.com from previously 30

SSI_20090818182458_V.jpg

Lee Byung-hun, zooms to number 23 at the world's leading filmsite 'IMDB.com' ranking;

'GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra' which opens in the US and over 30 countries simultaneously have topped the American B.O at the first week of release, and at number 2 at the second week is still continuing the its worldwide storm.

Photo credit = Seoul newspaper NTN DB l nownews.seoul.co.kr

Lee, IMDB Top Chart 23.. zooms up 7 steps from #30

200908081649044883455A_3.jpg

[Asia munyongseong Economic Daily News] Hallyu star Lee Byung Hun's domestic as well as overseas popularity is soaring. .

When Lee's Hollywood debut movie 'GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra' opened on August 7, the STARmeter had indicated a huge rise in top-search ranking for any Korean actor at the well-known movie portal. From a ranking below 1000, Lee Byung Hun had moved up to the 20th place which further advances to 23 as the blockbuster movie dominated the world box-office standing second week in a row.

Reflecting this, the men fashion line Maestro and Lee Byung Hun had signed an exclusive modelling contract. The movie NomNomNom starring Lee Byung Hun will open in Japan on August 29 while his drama 'IRIS' will be broadcasted by KBS on October 14 after a really tough filming and hectic schedule throughout the year.

News munyongseong lococo@asiae.co.kr l asiae.co.kr

There a lot more (other) updates on Byunghun-ssi.. regarding his new endorsements and GI Joe doing well worldwide, etc. Please post more gist or updates.. lets compare notes.. share fan thoughts, artwork, BH talks.. from everyone for EverythingLBH. rbhcool.gif