Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Guest shinerelsie

I am so excited going to cinema this day. At last, I am able to watch GI JOE mostly because LBH is there. I wonder why there is no picture of LBH promoting GI JOE in Hollywood, i really looking forward to it every time i signed in..

And this week, I hope I can see lots of picture of LBH again. He simply irresistible.. :P

Firstly .. luwali and kimchibabe, thank you for wonderful GI Joe/Storm Shadow reviews.. they're absolute treats to read, please don't stop writing & talking about BH.

cutiepie.. the HQ pics of Byunghun are sooooooooooo incredibly huge.. it's like having him coming right out of the miniature pc screen. *faints* The clip and caps.. awesome sharing as always. MWAH!

willenette, too...continue sharing & posting.

Ching, the blog sharing is the best BH thoughts .. keep on posting. I feel a bit sad that the only rest he had was in the flight to LA. He's been working too hard every day but at least.. the long flight might make up for it and he had enough rest before starting full days ahead. Especially heartwarming to note that he's feeling excited.. his happiness come in stages but it will.. very surely.

shin mi rae WELCOME to EVERYTHINGLBH, I can't agree more with all your thoughts..you sums him up so well. I wished I could already watch GI Joe but may have to settle to reading fan thoughts. Please join the thread sharing about Lee Byung Hun.. no matter what!

I am so excited going to cinema this day. At last, I am able to watch GI JOE mostly because LBH is there. I wonder why there is no picture of LBH promoting GI JOE in Hollywood, i really looking forward to it every time i signed in..

And this week, I hope I can see lots of picture of LBH again. He simply irresistible.. :P

Elsie.. there are a lot of pics and updates of BH in LA. Hope to hear your Storm Shadow thoughts later. Enjoy!

http://pandahunnie.wordpress.com/2009/08/0...cobra-rocks-la/

http://pandahunnie.wordpress.com/2009/08/0...huns-day-in-la/

http://pandahunnie.wordpress.com/2009/08/0...ts-and-sequels/

Message for everyone at EverythingLBH including myself..

If you appreciate EverythingLBH please.gif READ!

This is probably not the best time as soompi is still in 'revamping' stage and a lot of error bugs still floating, some may not be able to login as yet. etc. But it's been going on long enough.

I'm writing this as a fan of LBH and long-time member of EverythingLBH@soompi.com, 7 years to be exact. I know I'm not the best fan for him.. can't really go to where he is, can't really get all his merchandise, haven't really seen all his work and all I do is ramble nonsensically all the time. But make no mistake that Lee Byung Hun is THE BEST for me and EverythingLBH means the most to me.

This thread is really getting from too quiet to hopeless. Please everyone, buck up and keep the thread positively active. Lee Byung Hun is not in retirement or military service, he's out there always giving us treats to share. Please stop being lurkers and just be like everyone else. Many of you have been here at least 4 years since Oct 2005. If it's not now, when will you share about LBH? There are so many things going on for BH and for one day.. no one posted the pics of his LA premiere? Are we scared of duplications.. there's the EDIT button. Are we scared of copyrights.. then just post links or urls like other sites are doing. I'm sure most of you all have Photobuckets accounts to save BH's pics and know how to use Imageshack. This is not a fan-sharing and discussion thread for nothing. Is everyone only caring for their (other) fan-sites or personal blogs?

Ok, we are all busy in our everyday life.. who is not? Even if we have 24 free hours all day, you really can't do everything but it will be meaningful to share a little of the fan-girling together, no? It's alright if no one cares to answer questions here or ignore to read rubie posts, I can live with that and done that for so long. No problemo. It's alright that no one offers to help with the "backing-up" of info at the ELBH forum-cabinet. No biggie.. it's no hassle. It's alright that no one wanted to share ideas for gifts or wishes, artworks anymore.. English-speaking fans are probably not BH's fave preferences anyway, we will still get by. It's alright that no one posts at the other LBH related soompi threads, as there are other more interesting places to be.. sure, rock on.

But please do not take this thread for granted. Hate me if you must (frankly, I really can't be bothered with anyone not bothered with EverythingLBH).. but I am a LBH fan and I sure can't keep hinting this subtlely anymore.

EverythingLBH is for all fans appreciating Lee Byung Hun, so show it.

Guest mailene28

biane rubie!!! :( my browser yesterday and today wasnt that great since the new soompi is revamping and just had the luck to find new pix.

i kind of getting hard posting the pictures. here are some more links for Byung Hun ssi in LA.

click aceshowbiz and zimbio

im scheduled to watch GI Joe on Sunday with friends. yipee! :D

Guest kimchibabe

^ I second that. A line or two about LBH is not too much to ask. The pages of this thread has to keep moving and yes, lurking or just passing by is not going to help.

I go to other threads and I see loyal fans posting everyday, a simple hi or hello and say how much they miss their idol. Circumstances permitting I hope to follow their way.

Rubie sis, short of calling your post an emotional outburst, well it is a timely wake-up call to the others proclaiming to be fans of BH but keeping silent about how they feel.

p.s. Sis, G.I. Joe is showing in Malaysia. How come you can't get to watch it?

Rubie sis, short of calling your post an emotional outburst, well it is a timely wake-up call to the others proclaiming to be fans of BH but keeping silent about how they feel.

p.s. Sis, G.I. Joe is showing in Malaysia. How come you can't get to watch it?

I really do not want to sound like an emotional freak but EverythingLBH is too close to my heart. For years, I've seen and gone through a lot of good times & tonnes of heartaches, too. But I'm not ready to give up simply even though I'm dumbfounded at how easily others leave at will. We don't need constant hi's and bye's (we're guilty of those once upon a time and now it's a forum rule not to converse in greetings/one-liners) but surely with someone as Lee Byung Hun, we can share lots of insights and great discussion about him.. so what and where did we go wrong? Is it me.. because seriously, I'm actually more embarrased being the only one talking to myself most of the time.

Yes, Gi Joe is showing in Malaysia.. there's screenings in my hometown too but with family/personal affairs, I'm not sure if I'm able to sneak out but will and will and will try to.

bh04.jpg

August 6, 2009

'G.I. Joe' Star Sees Storm Shadow In New Light
Lee Plays Famed Villain In 'The Rise Of Cobra'

Tim Lammers, Staff Writer kirotv.com

pho_20090730.jpg

A native of South Korea, Byung Hun Lee admits that he grew up in the dark when it came to the pop culture significance of G.I. Joe action figures. But once he landed a role in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" -- the live-action movie based on the characters in the Joe line -- Lee quickly emerged from the shadows, so to speak, to learn history of the toy and cartoon phenomenon.

In the movie, which opens Friday, Lee plays Storm Shadow, the ninja and supreme martial artist for Cobra, a terrorist organization posing a major threat across the world -- unless the elite military unit G.I. Joe can stop them.

While did his homework on the history of Storm Shadow, Lee said he was encouraged by director Steven Sommers to bring his own spin to the deadly ninja Cobra member in the film; all while maintaining the integrity of the character as written for the 1980s television series.

"I was going to going to watch the whole 'G.I. Joe' series, but Steven didn't want me to do that," Lee said in an @ The Movies interview Wednesday. "I knew I could learn a lot from the show, but still, this is the 2009 version of 'G.I. Joe.' There are a lot of futuristic weapons and (displays of) martial arts in it, so everything is so fresh. Of course, we did study the original character, but also brought something else. They wanted me to be a little more creative with the character."

Hailed as the biggest action star in South Korea, Lee had vast experience in the martial arts coming into "The Rise of Cobra," an element vital when Storm Shadow' faces off against G.I. Joe ninja member Snake Eyes (Ray Park).

Like Park, Lee said that he was allowed to bring infuse his own martial arts sensibilities into the execution of the fight scenes.

"I talked a lot about the choreography with Ray and the stunt guys to make sure there were differences between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, even though they grew up and learned from the same master," Lee said. "Ray's good at Wu Shu and Kung Fu, which has more flash. For me, I've been learning Tae Kwon Do since I was five years old, which is more simple, but stronger. His style and mine are so different, which made it interesting because we could show some variety of the martial arts."

While Storm Shadow has been mostly identified as a villain in G.I. lore, the examination of his character in "The Rise of Cobra" keys in on his good qualities as well as his bad -- and Lee was thrilled about the possibilities.

"That was the attractive point of the character that helped me decide to do the project," said Lee, whose previous American film credits include "Hero" opposite Jet Li. "The character has some mysterious aspect to him, but the director ended up editing out some of the mystery because I think he wants to reveal more about Storm Shadow in parts two and three."

Of course, you can't do a G.I. Joe movie without becoming a G.I. Joe action figure, and Lee's Storm Shadow is well-represented in creator Hasbro's new line of 3.75-inch and 12-inch toy soldiers. Lee, 39, said that he's been receiving a lot of Storm Shadow figures already from fans and is happy to get caught up in the fun of being an action figure.

And while the likeness of the Storm Shadow figures, sans the masks, are of Lee, the actor said there is one notable difference -- but he's taking the discrepancy lightly.

"Some of them talk -- but they have the voice of different person," Lee said, laughing. "Not me!"

Copyright 2009, Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The story 'G.I. Joe' Star Sees Storm Shadow In New Light is provided by LifeWhile. 

Guest kimchibabe

Yes, Gi Joe is showing in Malaysia.. there's screenings in my hometown too but with family/personal affairs, I'm not sure if I'm able to sneak out but will and will and will try to.

Sneak out? You must because we've been so excited for G.I.Joe since day one. I tell you,its not the same on the small screen. Up close you see that his skin is not so perfect after all, that he doesn't look as good as in photos, that his skin is indeed dark for a Korean.

See it, Sis and write about it. This is BH history...experience it.

Guest teukiie

For the people who have watched GI Joe, is it good? :D is LBH absolutely ~*stunning*~ in it? :D

The only reason why I want to watch it is because of him (& Im a girl o_O)

Haha like how I only watched "Wolverine" cuz of Hugh Jackman& Daniel Henny (:

I read this article on LBH in the newspaper, & the picture made me fall in love with him ^^~! <3

August 7, 2009

Byung-Hun Lee Talks Storm Shadow and "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra"

by Jami Philbrick, Staff Writer

There is no doubt that one of the most beloved properties of the 1980s has got to be G.I. JOE. From action figures to cartoons to comics, G.I. JOE populated and consumed almost every fan-boy’s childhood. Starting this weekend fans can rejoice as the popular franchise finally makes the jump to the big screen in the live-action summer blockbuster “G.I. JOE: The Rise Of Cobra.”

There are many characters in the “JOE” pantheon that are cherished by fans but probably non-more than the character of Snake Eyes and his mortal enemy Storm Shadow. Fan’s of the classic Larry Hama written, Marvel Comics’ series “G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero” are well aware of the bitter history and rivalry between these two characters. CBR News had the opportunity to sit down with Byung-hun Lee this week and discuss the new film, playing Storm Shadow, the responsibility he feels that he has to the fans and fighting opposite Ray Park.

bhcbr1.jpg

CBR News: Were you aware of “G.I. JOE” or the character of Storm Shadow before filming?

Byung-Hun Lee: Not at all because in Asia they didn’t show the cartoon, so mostly nobody knows what it is. For me, when I first got the script from my agent, I didn’t know what it was. So I asked my agent and a lot of my friends in LA and in the states. They told me it was a huge cartoon and that especially Storm Shadow was a really powerful character. So first I hesitated a little bit because it was not familiar with me. I’ve been acting in more realistic (movies) and, this as you know, is based on the cartoon and the characters are a little bit more intense. But I think this is going to be really good opportunity for me to be shown in Hollywood and in the states.

CBR News: How did you prepare for the role of Storm Shadow? Did you do any research like watching the cartoons or reading the comics?

Byung-Hun Lee: I just learned about G.I. JOE and my character from Stephen Sommers, Lorenzo (di Bonaventura) and the actors and actresses, so I learned a lot about G.I. JOE. I first asked Stephen, “Should I watch the whole series of the cartoon?” He said, “I think you don’t have to because I want you to make some creation of the character.” So we had to discuss about the character a lot. We made his history and character just before the project (started filming). I learned about the original character too from the other actors so I’m a big fan of G.I. JOE now.

CBR News: The property is so beloved by fans, did you feel a responsibility to get it right and do you think that this movie will live up to their expectations?

Byung-Hun Lee: Of course I did because I realized when I got to LA that it is a huge comic and that there are plenty of Storm Shadow fans. So I had to at first have a lot of practice and training with the sword because he is a martial arts expert especially with the sword. I needed to learn about Storm Shadow and his original character because I didn’t want to let the fans down.

CBR News: As a martial arts expert yourself was there still a lot of training with the sword that you had to do to get ready for the film?

Byung-Hun Lee: That was my first experience with the sword. Actually I did a lot of action films in Korea and Asia but with the sword was my first experience. My martial arts are based on Tae Kwon Do, Korean martial arts. But Snake Eyes, his martial arts are based on WuShu so it’s more clean and fresh. But Tae Kwon Do is, as you know, more powerful but simple. Vast differences between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in this movie.

CBR News: Ray Park is a martial arts expert as well, what was it like working with him on the fight scenes and the choreography?

Byung-Hun Lee: I had to get into LA a little earlier because I needed to do some training with the sword and Ray Park, so we trained a lot. The choreography, I think, they need some differences. Even though they have one master, but still they would have their own skills and their own martial arts. So I suggested for Storm Shadow why don’t we use Tae kwon Do more and for Snake Eyes why don’t we use more WuShu style. So that’s the big difference actually. He was so happy with that and me too.

We talked a lot about the choreography. Actually the stunt guys they teach us how to do it, the choreography. But we needed to change it a little bit in the situations. We suggested a lot of things to the stunt guys and then they accepted it. So they controlled the choreography but for me, more simple and powerful, for him (Ray Park) more skills. So we discussed it a lot, about the choreography and changed a lot I think.

In the movie, as you know, we were enemies with each other. We hate each other so much. But in real life we’re real good friends so we talked a lot and we hangout a lot.

CBR News: What was it like for you working with the rest of the actors in the cast?

Byung-Hun Lee: It was really good, I think. When I first got here it was a little bit hard to join them and participate in the group because this is my first experience in Hollywood and it was totally different. Especially the language, culture, environments and people so it was a little bit hard to join them. But Marlon Wayans is a really funny guy. He was so friendly to me but I didn’t understand what he says. He uses a lot of funny words and he talks so fast. So I couldn’t join with them but later he’s my best friend now.

CBR News: How was your experience working with the director, Stephen Sommers?

Byung-Hun Lee: Stephen was really passionate. He never sits down in a shooting place. He never drinks alcohol at all. It was so impressive for me because he got a lot of passion inside of him, I can feel it. I realized, he didn’t tell me but I realized, in myself that he wanted me a little more intense because Storm Shadow requires intense emotions. Also the audience can feel his tense and his fever even though he is not saying anything but still the audience has to feel his anger. So I think he want me to do that so it was helpful.

CBR News: Finally, you’re a huge movie star in your native country of South Korea, now that you’ve made a big Hollywood movie would you like to do more in the future?

Byung-Hun Lee: Of course, if I have a good chance to participate in a good project then it’s on. I could enjoy and join them. I would like to have different genre. I would like to have different experience with a different genre and different characters but anything’s possible.

Source: comicbookresources.com

biane rubie!!! :( my browser yesterday and today wasnt that great since the new soompi is revamping and just had the luck to find new pix.

im scheduled to watch GI Joe on Sunday with friends. yipee! :D

There's nothing to apologize to me.. mailene, you're kinda missing the whole point but no worries. I'm only letting this 'nagging' out.. purely out of concern for EverythingLBH, the thread we all love.

Sneak out? You must because we've been so excited for G.I.Joe since day one. I tell you,its not the same on the small screen. Up close you see that his skin is not so perfect after all, that he doesn't look as good as in photos, that his skin is indeed dark for a Korean.

See it, Sis and write about it. This is BH history...experience it.

I'm working on it.. so far 50-50. We sure don't have the privilege of seeing BH on the big screen here if it's Korean/Japanese movies.. not even ICWTR but there's always hope for Hollywood flicks.. like GI Joe. Still hoping, things will work my way for once.

Byunghun is not about being perfect appearance-wise. Never the idea at all but he is real and realistic about his work, passion and life. He chooses wisely, and goes all out in his career. Whatever the outcome for GI Joe.. *it seems like the critics are suddenly trashing the movie out of revenge to Paramount?* but BH as Storm Shadow is indeed a factor that won't go wrong. His true power acting showed in his determination in giving the best if not precisely what the fans hope to see in the Snake Eyes-Storm Shadow duels.

Sis, all the tumbling, window crashing and all those fighting stunts.. BH did it himself. In the interview BTS clip that cutiepie provided.. it was him rushing full-speed into a window glass, crashing it to pieces. When he didn't get up right after.. it makes my heart skipped a beat but that's only because the director hasn't shouted 'Cut'!.

Thanks to the highlight by cacao-lovelbh.com

HOT CHILI PAPER Vol.54 September 2009

vol54cover.jpg

Source: hcpmag.com

For compilation of BH covers this year.. we have that at the forum-cabinet.

I'm not sure.. but I think BH is returning home today? as he had an important function in Seoul/Tokyo? Sorry.. lately I'm getting more blurr and could not guess anything correctly.

August 6, 2009

'G.I. Joe' marches into theaters
Sony plans to entice femme auds with 'Julia'

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK variety.com

Paramount’s "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" marches into theaters Friday, with Par and toymaker Hasbro hoping to create a new fanboy franchise.
"G.I. Joe" is sparking strong interest among both young and older men, as well as some curiosity among younger femmes, according to tracking. It opens in 3,500 theaters domestically and in a number of markets overseas.

Far from the fanboy trenches, Sony will try to entice women over 25 with Meryl Streep-Amy Adams starrer "Julie and Julia," which opens in 2,354 runs domestically.

Also opening this weekend is Rogue Pictures thriller "A Perfect Getaway," distributed by Universal and going out in 2,159 runs.

Fox Searchlight’s "500 Days of Summer," which expands from 267 to 818 runs, could spell trouble for "Getaway," since both will rely heavily on teen eyeballs.

Offbeat romantic comedy "500 Days," which opened July 17 in 27 theaters, is already one of the most successful specialty releases of 2009. Cume through Tuesday was $8.2 million.

As an event pic based on an original property, "G.I. Joe" is an unusual choice for an August release. In recent years, mostly sequels and three-quels, such as last year’s "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" or "The Bourne Ultimatum" the year before, have occupied the late-summer berth.

G.I. Joe began as a Hasbro action figure, which was then adapted for a comicbook series. The property saw a major shift in the early 1980s, when the original team of U.S. military operatives were joined by elite forces from around the globe.

In adapting the property for the bigscreen, Paramount played up the international angle, casting actors from several countries and setting the film in locales including Egypt and Paris. 

While actioners often generate more box office overseas than domestically, the pic could have a bumpy ride in some parts of Europe because of local attitudes toward the American military.

Heavy on CGI effects, "G.I. Joe" cost $175 million to produce. Spyglass Entertainment co-financed, while Lorenzo Di Bonaventura produced.

Paramount decided not to screen "G.I. Joe" for reviewers except for a select group of online media. Earlier this summer, Par’s "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" did blockbuster business despite generally withering reviews. The studio also is being conservative in buying print media, opting to concentrate on opening weekend ads.

Box office observers suggest that "G.I. Joe" could open north of $50 million, but with the unpredictable nature of tracking in recent months, no one’s making a firm wager. Stephen Sommers ("The Mummy") directed.

"Julie and Julia," directed and written by Nora Ephron, is based on two books: Julia Child’s "My Life in France" and Julia Powell’s cooking memoir that started as a blog, "Julie and Julia." 

Sony insiders expect the pic, which cost $38 million to produce, to open in the high teens.

"A Perfect Getaway" was financed and marketed by Relativity Media’s Rogue Pictures. U is distributing via its service deal with Rogue. The adventure-thriller stars Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich as a young couple who take a honeymoon backpacking trip in Hawaii.

On the specialty front, Overture opens 2009 Sundance fave "Paper Heart" in 38 theaters in select markets. The docu-feature hybrid stars Charlyne Yi as she sets off across America to discover what love is all about, meeting Michael Cera along the way. 

IDP/Samuel Goldwyn opens Paul Giamatti-Emily Watson dramedy "Cold Souls" in seven theaters. 

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra Movie Reviews

Let's make one thing perfectly clear: no one will ever, ever, ever mistake G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra for a great movie, but damn it's great entertainment. Seriously, what's not to like? There's non-stop action, something resembling a plot, character development, utterly cool weapons, stuff blown up like there's no tomorrow, and unbelievably hot women and ridiculously hunky guys.

Now let me be honest here and say I never owned the action figures and only played with them occasionally as a kid, when I'd hang with my friend Billy at his house across the street. And I never watched the TV series or read a G.I. Joe comic book. Plus, I'd seen the lackluster trailer for G.I. Joe during the Super Bowl and heard all the bad buzz over the ensuing months. So, heading into the movie, I probably had lower-than-low expectations. Did that make me easy to please? Perhaps too easy to please? Maybe. But that doesn't diminish from the fact that for what it is, G.I. Joe is a rocking couple of hours of nonsense.

The plot, for those that care, finds pals and soldiers Duke (Channing Tatum) and Ripcord (Marlon Wayans) hooking up with the secret military outfit called G.I. Joe. They're led by General Hawk (Dennis Quaid); the elite team includes Scarlett (Rachel Nichols), Snake Eyes (Ray Park), and Heavy Duty (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agdaje). The group faces their greatest enemy yet in the form of COBRA, a sinister band of baddies that include weapons dealer James McCullen/Destro (Christopher Eccleston), Storm Shadow (Byung Hun Lee), the evil Doctor (Joseph Gordon Levitt), and Ana/the Baroness (Sienna Miller), who happens to be the former love of our hero, Duke. And the group is in possession of a super-charged creation called "nanomites," microscopic robots that can be used to, oh, let's say, control people and make them do the Doctor's bidding, or even to topple the Eiffel Tower.

Stephen Sommers, director of The Mummy and Van Helsing, is an old pro at action movies. And in helming G.I. Joe he doesn't waste much time before immersing the audience in the action, with the character background provided in well-rendered flashbacks and character/relationship development addressed within fights and in the rare quiet moments between set pieces. Sommers also doesn't get too bogged down in details, allowing the moviegoer to suspend his or her disbelief long enough to cruise fr om scene to scene without too much head scratching. The action is top-notch, especially the chase scenes and the hand-to-hand battles. And, wisest move of all, Sommers makes the most of his cast's charm and good looks. Clunky exposition scene? Cut to a close-up of Tatum or Wayans or Nichols or Miller and all is forgiven.

Now, again, we're not anywhere near Academy Award territory here. This is popcorn moviemaking, with the butter slathered on thick. Some of the dialogue is nothing more than gung-ho jingoism. Quaid hams it up more than Porky Pig. Some of the special effects are killer, particularly the Eiffel Tower sequence, but others are just deadly and look too much like videogame graphics. Case in point, when Duke and Ripcord first check out the G.I. Joe facility, they eye a bunch of boats in the water. The water is pretty photo-realistic (hell, it could be real), but the boats on it look fake and don't seem to shift in the water at all. And, I swear, I wasn't looking to nitpick the effects.

Quibbles aside, G.I. Joe is a blast. So, particularly the guys out there, unleash your inner ten-year-old and go have some fun.

Written By Ian Spelling (Contributing Writer) via mtv.com

August 7, 2009

G.I. Joe with Byung Hun Lee

Source: channelapa.com

coming201107061956310.jpg

G.I. Joe the movie is finally out today. Last year, we revealed that Storm Shadow would be played by Byung Hun Lee.

Here's a synopsis of the film:

From the Egyptian desert to deep below the polar ice caps, the elite G.I. JOE team uses the latest in next-generation spy and military equipment to fight the corrupt arms dealer Destro and the growing threat of the mysterious Cobra organization to prevent them from plunging the world into chaos.

G.I. Joe was not screened by critics before the release today. That usually means the movie sucks. The movie will still top box offices this weekend with all the hype around it. There will definitely be lots of action and stuff blowing up.

One other note. There may be a trend with major blockbuster to add a major Asian star in the mix. When the film is exported to Asia, it will top box offices there too. Get your tickets to G.I. Joe here.

Byung Hun Lee is an international superstar who is recognized as one of the starters of the 'Korean Boom' in television and film. Known as one of the 'Four Kings' in Asia, Lee is the only actor to sell out the Tokyo Dome with 45,000 screaming fans. Having completed a 70,000-fan arena tour in Japan in 2007, he has solidified his position as one of Asia's top stars.

Lee was born in Seoul, South Korea, and originally wanted to be a film director of motion pictures but fell into acting. He started his acting career in 1991 with a Korean television drama, 'Asphalt, My Hometown.' Since then he has done many dramas on the small screen, including 'Tomorrow Love,' 'Police,' 'Son of Wind,' 'White Knight 3.98,' 'Happy Together,' 'Beautiful Days" and "All In."

Although much of his early success came from television dramas, Lee's real passion was for making films on the big screen. His most recent films were Kim Jee Woon's 'The Good, the Bad, and the Weird' and Tran Anh Hung's I Come with the Rain. Other credits include Kim Jee Woon's 'A Bittersweet Life,' Park Chan Wook's 'Three Extremes,' 'Everybody Has a Little Secret,' 'Addiction,' 'Bungee Jumping of Their Own' and Park Chan Wook's 'Joint Security Area.' He is currently in production on 'IRIS,' Korea's highest budgeted TV drama to date.

Lee is currently an ambassador for UNICEF and Tourism Ambassador for France. He has also received France's Chevalier of the Order of Arts and Letters in 2006.

This excerpt below is copied from a truly trashing review of GI Joe.. the fanboy really didn't like the movie but interestingly enough, one of the two positive points he picked up in the entire movie is

Storm Shadow is completely true to the characters roots, played by Lee Byung-hun, with ridiculous self seriousness and athleticism. Storm Shadow is the right mix of brooding introspection and bombastic braggart.

Guest cynthia05

Melted seeing that famous fabulous smile. Our Byunghun-ssi is having the time of his life..going to Cannes, appearing on Hollywood Red Carpet .. for more good things in life! We can never deny.. his absolute passion, continuous commitment and incredible patience to go after his lifelong dream & achieving it..

And mine is coming true in two days' time! yupyupyup.. I'm finally going to watch GI Joe!! [img

So happy for you that you will finally get to watch GI Joe......I am sure you will enjoy the movie especially ByungHun's fearless actions. I watched the preview a couple of days ago.......and I can say his acting was very very intense unlike his usual style which we are so used to. I am sure the movie will do well worldwide and so we can definitely expect the trilogy.

He was back in Seoul for his guest appearance in the Jomo Cup

August 7, 2009

Byung Hun Lee talks G.I.JOE

Asian superstar takes on STORM SHADOW role

By Rob M. Worley Source: Mania

20090807141254130g1_142020_0.jpg

Although he's a popular leading man in Korean cinema, many fans in America will be introduced to Byung Hun Lee for the first time in this week's 'G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra'. Lee plays the Storm Shadow, Cobra's evil white ninja opposite Snake Eyes, the black-clad hero on the side of good.

This week Mania.com had a chance to talk exclusively with the actor who admits the world of Joe vs. Cobra is all new to him. "It didn't show in Korea. I had no idea about G.I. Joe when I first got the script," Lee said, admitting he was a little hesitant to take the part. "I had a lot of time to discuss the character Storm Shadow with [director] Stephen Sommers and [producer] Lorenzo di Bonaventura."

Fans of the characters know his back story is closely intertwined with that of Snake Eyes, played by Ray Park in the film. Lee told us he bonded with his opposite number immediately.

"He was my first friend in Hollywood actually," Lee said of Park. "In the movie we are hating each other but in real life we're really good friends. We took a lot of time to practice the choreography and training before the production."

Although stunt coordinator R.A. Rondell worked out many of the battles for the movie, including the showdown between the two ninjas, Lee and Park employed their respective martial arts expertise to make the on-screen confrontation as explosive as possible.

"Ray and I talked about the choreography and our skills and specialties. We had a lot of discussions and changed things a little bit," Lee said. "For example, Ray Park's style is WuShu. My martial arts is based on Taekwondo. Taekwondo is more simple, but strong.

"Our movements were totally different, actually. So I wanted the stunt guys to focus on the differences between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow's technique." One element of the battle did present a challenge for Lee. "I've never filmed with the sword before, so I had to train a lot. I usually use my kicks in movies," Lee said.

As for the complexity of the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow relationship, Lee admits that they don't reveal and resolve everything in one movie, as there are ten or so other characters with stories to tell. Like most adaptations, the film is designed to introduce G.I.Joe to new audiences as well as entertain the die-hard fans.

"I think there is a little hint and little emotions, but not too much. The director and producer intentionally added something subtle and were thinking about the next one," Lee said alluding to the presumed 'G.I.Joe 2'. He confirmed for us that he's signed to play Storm Shadow in additional films if the studio calls for it.

Byung Hun Lee said he enjoyed the new experience of playing a thug for a change. However, don't expect him to follow the path of martial arts superstars Jackie Chan or Jet Li and start headlining action movies here in the U.S.

"This was my first try to be a comic book character, so that's why I hesitated a little bit to commit to this production," Lee said, adding that, while high-octane superheroes may be popular in America, this kind of movie is new to him. He's not thinking in terms of the next superhero (or villain) he'll play. "I've doing more realistic characters and projects, so I don't know."

He's already working on his next project in Asia, but would consider doing another American film if the right project comes along. We asked him if there's a particular director he's interested in working with. "There are a lot of good actors and directors in the states I think, but I'd really like to work with director Cameron Crowe. I like his work."

Guest gaby35

Yesterday I watched G.I.Joe :D Actually I dont have any expectations.I went to theatre only see Byung Hun but movie is enternaining.Storm Shadow's role is bigger than I thought and our hunnie is great as usual :rolleyes:

But last 30 minutes is a bit boring.Movie started to repeat itself and when they decied to save Moscow first there are laughes at theatre.It is usual American populism but it is worth for our hunnie.

August 6, 2009 New U.S. Release

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

By RICHARD KUIPERS

A Paramount release presented with Spyglass Entertainment, in association with Hasbro, of a Di Bonaventura Pictures production. Produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Brian Goldner, Bob Ducsay. Executive producers, David Womark, Stephen Sommers, Gary Barber, Roger Birnbaum, Erik Howsam. Co-producer, JoAnn Perritano. Directed by Stephen Sommers. Screenplay, Stuart Beattie, David Elliot, Paul Lovett; story, Michael B. Gordon, Beattie, Sommers, based on Hasbro's G.I. Joe characters. 

Heavy Duty - Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
McCullen/Destro - Christopher Eccleston
The Doctor/Rex - Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Storm Shadow - Byung-hun Lee
Ana/Baroness - Sienna Miller
Scarlett - Rachel Nichols
Snake Eyes - Ray Park
U.S. President - Jonathan Pryce
Breaker - Said Taghmaoui
Duke - Channing Tatum
Ripcord - Marlon Wayans
Gen. Hawk - Dennis Quaid

Spoiler

Playing more like a highlight reel from an established franchise than a movie intended to launch it, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" interrupts its barrage of CGI action for only the barest minimum of anything resembling character development. Still, young auds switched on to precisely this sort of entertainment should turn this futuristic, military-themed pic into a significant worldwide hit and help toy company Hasbro -- also suppliers of raw materials for the "Transformers" films -- to its second merchandizing bonanza of the summer. Paramount's unwillingness to screen for critics, however, suggests something less than confidence in its big-budget investment.

Launched in 1964 as a series of plastic military figures and reworked in comic and cartoon form any number of times since, the G.I. Joe team underwent its most significant transformation in 1983, when its ranks of U.S. personnel expanded to include elite soldiers from around the globe. The screenplay by Stuart Beattie, David Elliot and Paul Lovett sticks to that path, with Uncle Sam's representatives at the forefront of a multicultural crew on what is always referred to as an international mission.

In the not-too-distant future, regular Army buddies Duke (Channing Tatum) and Ripcord (Marlon Wayans) are transporting a deadly weapon, capable of "eating" buildings and even whole cities, that's been manufactured by Scottish arms magnate McCullen (Christopher Eccleston). Intending to steal his own device and hold the world to ransom, McCullen, a member of the evil organization Cobra, dispatches private army superfighters Storm Shadow (South Korean superstar Byung-hun Lee), a ninja dressed in natty white threads, and the Baroness (Sienna Miller), Duke's ex-g.f., who favors slinky leather jumpsuits.

Rescued by mysterious strangers, Duke and Ripcord are whisked off to a facility deep below the Sahara desert, where, after being put through some mildly amusing training hoops, they're accepted into the G.I. Joe ranks by old-school commander Gen. Hawk (Dennis Quaid). Given just enough time to establish name, rank and specialist skill are squad members Snake Eyes (Ray Park), a silent type; Scarlett (Rachel Nichols), a crossbow-wielding brainiac; and Breaker (Said Taghmaoui), who's a whiz with electronics.

Edited as if the audience wouldn't watch unless every scene were switched to overdrive, the not-bad basic plot never gets much of a chance to be anything more. Not helping is the way in which uninspired flashbacks to the characters' pasts arrive like commercial breaks slotted into what seems to one long setpiece.

As helmed by Stephen Sommers ("The Mummy" franchise, "Van Helsing"), the pic expectedly packs some eye-popping sights and a nifty collection of gadgets and gizmos. Best of the bunch is the Stan Winston Studio-created "accelerator suit," allowing the G.I Joe squad to sprint around Paris at 40 miles per hour and destroy half the city while attempting to save it from McCullen's attack.

While thesping is not the main game here, having a cast of bright young things certainly helps, and Quaid gets in a few nice John Wayne-like moments as the no-nonsense boss. Widescreen visuals are OK, though some effects finishing looks rushed. 

When it can be heard over the cacophony of sound effects, Alan Silvestri's score hits the right notes. Other technical aspects are on the mark. 

Camera (Deluxe color, Panavision widescreen), Mitchell Amundsen; editors, Bob Ducsay, Jim May; music, Alan Silvestri; production designer, Ed Verreaux; supervising art director, Greg Papalia; art directors, Chad Frey, Kevin Ishioka, Randy Moore; set designers, Benjamin Edelberg, Noelle King, Jeff Markwith, Patte Strong-Lord, Geoff Hubbard, James O.F. Hewitt, Joseph Hiura, Gary A. Lee, John Berger; set decorator, Kate Sullivan; costume designer, Ellen Mirojnick; sound (DTS/Dolby Digital/SDDS), Lee Orloff; supervising sound editors, Per Hallberg, Karen Baker Landers; re-recording mixers, Scott Millan, David Parker, Leslie Shatz; visual effects supervisor, Boyd Shermis; visual effects, Digital Domain, the Moving Picture Co., CIS Group, Prime Focus; stunt coordinator, R.A. Rondell; fight choreographer, Marcus Young; assistant director, Cliff Lanning; casting, Ronna Kress. Reviewed at Birch Carroll & Coyle Myer Center Cinemas, Brisbane, Aug. 6, 2009. MPAA Rating: PG-13. Running time: 118 MIN.

Source: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940784.html

August 7, 2009

Being nice can get you a starring role as a killing machine in GI Joe

By Christopher Toh, TODAY 

In the movie GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, the troops of the ultra-special forces unit, GI Joe, spend a lot of time duking it out with the evil agents of Cobra. 

But the cast revealed at the Asian premiere in Tokyo that in real life, they really like each other. 

Wait a minute, you say, Storm Shadow and Ripcord - best mates? Duke and The Baroness - really good friends? But that's like Garfield loving Mondays. Or He-man and Skeletor having high tea. Or even Strawberry Shortcake inviting the Purple Pie Man over for mojitos. 

But, once stripped of their cool costumes and gadgets and weapons, the stars of director Stephen Sommers' GI Joe - Channing Tatum (Duke), Sienna Miller (The Baroness), Marlon Wayans (Ripcord), Rachel Nichols (Scarlett) and Korean heartthrob Lee Byung Hun (Storm Shadow) - just love each other. 

How much do they love each other? Let us count the ways. 

#1: THEY MAKE OUT A LOT 
Sienna, you got to kiss three guys in one movie. How did you feel about that? 

Sienna Miller (SM): Did I kiss three guys? I don't remember. 
Channing Tatum (CT): One of them was me! I feel very loved right now. 
SM: You know what? I blame the script for what happened in the film. 
CT: It wasn't written in the script! She actually wrote that in herself. She said: "I think I need to kiss all the guys in the movie". 
SM: Please don't even say that as a joke! (To the press) That was a joke, guys. (To Channing) Thanks, that's just what I need. 

#2: THEY KEEP THE BROMANCE ALIVE 
Lee, what was it like doing a Hollywood movie? 
Lee Byung Hun (LBH): Everything is so different - the language, the culture and the people. I had a hard time at first, but as time went by, I got really close to (the cast) and everyone was so friendly. Especially Marlon - he's my best friend now. And I'm not gay, by the way
Marlon Wayans (MW): I'm not gay either! 

#3: THEY GET NAKED 
Whose idea was it to get Lee to take his shirt off? 
Rachel Nichols (RN): Mine! I didn't even need to work that day; I just turned up on set anyway. 
MW: She was like: "Get his shirt off, get his shirt off!" 
LBH: I had to work out so hard. I never drank - not even one bottle of beer. I had to be on a diet. I thought: "I'm not an actor; I'm a body builder." I was a little disappointed, though, because Stephen deleted a lot of those scenes. 
Stephen Sommers (SS): He wanted slow motion shots! We'll probably put those in the DVD. 
RN: We'll make a whole movie out of those shots! 

Channing and Sienna, will you take off your clothes in the next movie? 
SM: Have you seen any of my films? They're paying me to keep my shirt on in this one! Oh! Please don't write that! Please put that with humour and responsibility! 
CT: (To Sienna) You should just drop the mic and walk away now. (To the press) Well, I don't know. I don't mind being naked, I guess. But I'd like to keep my clothes on. I think you feel more secure when you have clothes on. 

#4: THEY FLATTER EACH OTHER 
Rachel, you're a double major in Mathematics and Economics. How did end up an action heroine? 
SS: Because she's hot! 
RN: I was born and raised in Augusta, Maine, and the only way out was through education. So I went to Columbia University... got my degree, and then moved to Los Angeles, and later decided to become an actress. I was very lucky; if I wasn't doing this, I'd probably be on Wall Street. 

#5: THEY REALLY DON'T QUIT THE BROMANCE 
Stephen, what made you pick Lee for the role? 
SS: Someone showed me a movie of his - I can't remember which one now - and I thought: "He's a movie star." He projects so much with his eyes. There's something about this guy ... I don't know. I love him! 
RN: (To Stephen) I think all of your answers should be: "Because he's hot!" 
SS: Because he's hot! And I'm not gay! 

#6: THEY LOVE EACH OTHER, THEY REALLY DO 
What's the best and worst thing about being in GI Joe? 
Lorenzo di Bonaventura (producer): I think the worst thing is we're not going to be able work with each other all the time. We had so much fun making the film - that's the best thing about it. 
SM: I think that really comes across in the movie. 
CT: Even the press tour has been ridiculously fun. 
SS: The best thing is working with these people here. That's why part of the casting process was to make sure that other than being talented; they had to be nice people. I'm very adamant about that. And we ended up with this lot, which turned out great. 
RN: We became really good friends and we enjoyed the tour so much and being together. We all had a fantastic time on it. The worst thing? I don't know ... 
MW: You can say it - working with me. I can take it. 
LBH: I had a really good experience. The worst thing? I couldn't wear any other colours. I could only wear white! 
SS: And he's got another two more movies to go! 
MW: I think the best thing is working with a multiracial, ethnic cast. It's the UN in cool costumes. I think the worst thing is the threats that some of the comic books geeks tend to give you. Like: "You're messing up my childhood!" I hope they like the movie because I don't want to find Stephen beaten to death with a GI Joe comic book stuffed up his behind! 

GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra is out in cinemas now. - TODAY/yb 
Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/mov.../447373/1/.html