[Drama 2009] Queen Seon Deok 선덕여왕

Guest White Star

sohwa didn't raise Deokman as a boy but a girl.

Deokman started to disguish a boy after she escaped from chilsuk. Kartan asked her to do that , remember he gave deokman something like a hat , he said it's dangerous to go alone for a girl. Deokman refused to follow Kartan to Roma and decided to look for Munno and to know why Chilsuk wanted to cacth her and wait until 15 years.

the main reason is to protect herself.

oh i think Lee Yo Won was great as Queen Seon Deok, i was impressed by her and have found her other works, they are great!

Ninimi, good to see you you're active here too. QSD really rocks, until now this thread is still rolling. I miss everyone especially Deokman (LYW). She was true to her words, to rest for one year. Hope to see her again soon.

).

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i finished watching this drama this morning at 2am. i am just so heartbroken at the ending. i still can't accept the fact that both bidam and seon deok died at the end. it's not fair. queen seon deok is a very strong woman. i know she had feelings for bidam, but she did not show them as much. bidam, on the other hand, express his feelings towards her a lot. he is like a little child who wants her attention and approval. when she believes in him, he gets happy and smiles. their love and time are too short. the writers are really not fair in this drama for not giving them longer time to love each other. as the drama ended, we all know who queen seon deok love at the end of her life, bidam. however, she did not get to love him enough to make it worth it. it's just sad seeing this. how disappointing...the ending of course! still, i love love bidam and deokman so much!

yeah this is s great drama, and i think the most memorable thing for the viewers was not the whole story itself but the sad ending.. LOL

still love QSD as the best drama i ever seen.. :)

Ninimi, good to see you you're active here too. QSD really rocks, until now this thread is still rolling. I miss everyone especially Deokman (LYW). She was true to her words, to rest for one year. Hope to see her again soon.

).

haha, yeah nikachan i just checked here, i miss Queen Seon Deok, then stil wanna make the thread alive..hehehe..

yupp... LYW has in common like a ruler, she always keeps her words :D

Guest newismyname

I've probably watched this drama about 5 times all the way through, actually purchased the full drama. my god. This is one like...very epic and good drama. It isnt like..a silly drama--its like just so AMAZING.

I finally found this thread so I'm gonna spazz here XDD

and even better, the OST for this drama is so amazing. probably the only drama OST that I really wanted to own

my god. if only my friends would like put effort into watching this. no matter how many times i watch the ending, I ALWAYS end up crying

Guest happipplrock

seriously mishil was my favorite character. she was so badass. best evil villian character i've seen since kim tae hee in stairway to heaven.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest nadpeanut

can i ask something?

is there english sub for special episode? the one with the interview and BTS.

i cant seem to find it. really appreciate if anyone can help. thanks

2000~2010 Historical Drama (Sageuk) Average Ratings Top 10

http://news.nate.com/view/20110620n28501

alba02201106202200092.jpg

1. 41.6% MBC 대장금 The Great Jangeum (a.k.a Jewel in the Palace) 2003~2004

2. 41.0% MBC 주몽 Jumong 2006~2007

3. 37.3% KBS 태조 왕건 Emperor Wang Guhn 2000~2002

4. 35.4% MBC 선덕여왕 Queen Seondeok 2009

5. 32.7% SBS 여인천하 Ladies of the Palace 2001~2002

6. 31.7% KBS 추노 Chuno (a.k.a. Slave Hunter) 2010

7. 29.4% MBC 태왕사신기 Legend (a.k.a. Great King And Four Gods) 2007

8. 29.0% SBS 야인시대 The Rustic Period 2002~2003

9. 27.7% KBS 해신 Emperor of the Sea (a.k.a. Haeshin) 2004~2005

10.26.4% MBC 이산 Yi San 2007~2008

• 1 month later...
Guest kpop89

This drama was amazing on many levels. The life of Queen Seondeok even though it was filled with accomplishments, she had to overcome countless hardships such has her "mom passing away", traveling alone to the city, training to become a hwarang, going to war, etc. Things she wouldn't have had to do being a seongol. She tried to make it better for herself hanging onto the remainder of her life and live quietly with Bidam, but as you know, drama and history don't always end up the way we want them to.

Beyond the fact that Bidam died on her orders (which is also sad) Queen Seondeok's life was taken from her, and that is incredibly sad.

선덕여왕의 삶/인생이 너무 너무나 슬프다. T__T

i respect her for her logical ways of thinking and not letting her personal feeling get in the way of passing judgement.

2000~2010 Historical Drama (Sageuk) Average Ratings Top 10

http://news.nate.com.../20110620n28501

*quoted image*

1. 41.6%  MBC 대장금 The Great Jangeum (a.k.a Jewel in the Palace) 2003~2004

2. 41.0%  MBC 주몽 Jumong 2006~2007

3. 37.3%  KBS 태조 왕건 Emperor Wang Guhn 2000~2002

4. 35.4%  MBC 선덕여왕 Queen Seondeok 2009

5. 32.7%  SBS 여인천하 Ladies of the Palace 2001~2002

6. 31.7%  KBS 추노 Chuno (a.k.a. Slave Hunter) 2010

7. 29.4%  MBC 태왕사신기 Legend (a.k.a. Great King And Four Gods) 2007

8. 29.0%  SBS 야인시대 The Rustic Period 2002~2003

9. 27.7%  KBS 해신 Emperor of the Sea (a.k.a. Haeshin) 2004~2005

10.26.4%  MBC 이산 Yi San  2007~2008

I hope they one day re-release Ladies of the Palace, that drama is so hard to find. As an international Sageuk lover, I really really want to watch it, and learn more about women's role in that era :(

Guest sleepyheadsparadise

<br />New in here and I have a quick question .. watching this in dub. I am a bit confused in term of relationship-wise. Who does Seon Deok truly love? Bi Dam / Yu Shin?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

it was yu shin at first i guess it was until yu shin got married and then yeah..the ever so handsome and hot bidam appeared and showed her how to love and let lose somehow.. she even decided to leave the kingdom in the end but fate played a very tragic game on them...

• 4 weeks later...

definitely one of the best drama i had watched... Bidam and Deokman's story is serious heartbreaking to watch especially at the last 2 episodes...

I hope they one day re-release Ladies of the Palace, that drama is so hard to find. As an international Sageuk lover, I really really want to watch it, and learn more about women's role in that era :(

I watched the whole thing, and yes, it's VERY good, though a few plot points were a bit repetitive toward the end.

• 10 months later...

I don't know if this was recent cause I just barely got into historical dramas but... Queen Seondeok is available on Netflix streaming and also on YouTube for free I believe. With subtitles of course. I finished watching it on Netflix the other week... it was really awesome! Even my boyfriend was watching it with me.

• 4 months later...
Guest Kim3916

class="content-title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: 400; line-height: 1.4em; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; visibility: visible; "Drama “Queen Seon Duk” Is Found Guilty of Plagiarism Three Years After Its Broadcastyw740030 December 25, 2012 Drama “Queen Seon Duk” Is Found Guilty of Plagiarism Three Years After Its Broadcast

MBC’s drama “Queen Seon Duk,” which was aired in 2009, was recently found guilty of plagiarism in court. In 2010, MBC was sued by the producers of the musical “Queen of Rose of Sharon, Seon Duk.” As a result, total fine of approximately $186,000 USD was charged. In addition, any additional reruns on cable TV and internet, and the making of DVD and related books were banned.

“Queen Seon Duk” was an exceptionally successful drama that achieved 43.6% rating, therefore entering the top 10 most watched drama and generating over $50,000,000 USD.

The court announced, “We found that the plaintiff was indeed the original developer of the musical, books, and exhibition of the story of ‘Queen Seon Duk.’ When MBC contacted the plaintiff for research purposes, it is most likely that they have used many of the major details from the musical script.”

The court also added, “The scripts were not exactly the same, but many similarities were found in the overall summary, the character details, and the events.”

queen-seon-duk.jpg

http://www.soompi.com/2012/12/25/drama-queen-seon-duk

• 4 months later...

"Queen Seon-deok" crew reunite for "Emperor Pacheon"
72915080.jpg

The MBC drama "Queen Seon-deok" crew is getting back together for another Chosun hero story, Yi Seong Gye and his foundation of Chosun Dynasty.
Writers Kim Young Hyun and Park Sang Yeon and producer Park Hong Gyun are reuniting for a special drama called "Emperor Pacheon".
Kim Young Hyun and Park Sang Yeon worked on "Queen Seon-deok", "H.I.T" and "Deep-rooted Tree". Park Hong Gyun worked on "New Heart" and "The Greatest Love".
"Emperor Pacheon" is a political action drama based in the Chosun times.
The crew says, "We have re-highlighted the establishment of the Chosun through the characters. We will add reality to the custom and system of the Chosun while we take the historical evidence seriously".
"Emperor Pacheon" - 파천황will be released in 2014.

class="content-title" style="text-align: center; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: 400; font-style: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.4em; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; font-variant: inherit; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); visibility: visible;"Drama “Queen Seon Duk” Is Found Guilty of Plagiarism Three Years After Its Broadcast.----------------------Writer Kim Young Hyun of "Queen Seon Duk", "I am not a thief"
Writers Kim Young Hyun and Park Sang Yeon gave an explanation about the case of MBC drama "Queen Seon-deok" being judged that it plagiarized the creative musical "Sun-deok of Beautiful Land Korea".
Kim Young Hyun who wrote "Queen Seon-deok" said, "This is unacceptable and I will appeal to the Supreme Court. When this issue first came out in 2010, I looked for the musical script but couldn't find it anywhere. I finally laid my hands on it but I had never seen in before. How would I feel about being called a thief?"
Writer Park Sang Yeon said, "Where will the characters and the creativity of the story we wrote be protected by? I wait for a wise judgment from the court for the sake of impaired reputation and the standard of plagiarism."
Previously, the Seoul High Court overturned the verdict in the case where Kim Jiyeng from Great Wicks sued Kim Young Hyun and Park Sang-yeon for plagiarizing the musical "Sun-deok of Beautiful Land Korea."

Queen Seon-deok, Tree with Deep Roots team returns with new drama
seondeoktree1.jpg
All hail — the true kings and queens of sageuk are returning. That’d be the creative people behind Queen Seon-deok and Tree With Deep Roots, otherwise known as midas touch writers Kim Young-hyun and Park Sang-yeon. They have the distinction of writing “well-made sageuk” (just a moniker for high production value) that also gets good ratings, which is not a thing to trifle with in dramaland. The new project is called Unprecedented, which has successfully set my expectations sky high with the title alone. I hope you weren’t trying to undersell the thing, ’cause then you might want to call it something a little less auspicious.
They’re reteaming with Queen Seon-deok’s director Park Hong-Gyun, who directed the Hong Sisters rom-com Best Love in the years since Queen Seon-deok and New Heart. The new drama is months away from broadcast at the earliest, and is being planned as a special presentation drama at MBC for 2014.
It’s a political action drama set in early Joseon, and specifically about “the heroes who founded the nation.” The central story will be Jung Do Jeon vs. Lee Bang Won. Jung Do Jeon was a scholar and advisor to King Taejo (first king of Joseon), who influenced the political future of the country for centuries to come, by designing the political infrastructure from laws to taxes to education. In short, he was the political brains behind the founding of Joseon.
Lee Bang Won was the fifth son of King Taejo, and future King Taejong of Joseon (father of Sejong the Great). While Jung Do Jeon believed in a political system governed by ministers and a centralized bureaucracy, Lee Bang Won believed in an absolute monarchy. He was overlooked to succeed his father to the throne because of Jung Do Jeon’s influence, and so during the reign of his brother, he raided the palace, killed Jung Do Jeon, and became the third king.
It’s pretty much as high-stakes as a political thriller can get for source material, and it’ll be like a prequel to Tree With Deep Roots, which will be fun. I can’t wait till they start casting calls for the two leads who will battle it out for Joseon’s future.
Unprecented is headed to MBC in 2014.
Source: dramabeans.

Archived