[Drama 2007] Time Of Dog And Wolf 개와 늑대의 시간

babybeck

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah i just finished watching this drama and DAEBAKKK !!! Especially a couple of last episodes. I'm gonna rewatch it again haha recommended drama :-bd

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just finished watching it a couple of days  ago....  I am still digesting.

I loved this drama. I loved what Lee Joon-Ki did with this role.  I liked Mao a lot and how Choi Jae-Sung was able to balance to total villain with the soft side of fatherly love to both his daughter and Kay.

I am so glad he is now being re-united with Lee Joon Ki in Joseon Gunman, this time as his real dad...

Here is a list of KDrama Villains,  where Mao's is the writer's favorite.

The Villains of Kdrama: 
Dare I Say… Boring?

Something To Sink Your Teeth Into (Is That A Real Person?)
Removed unrelated material.

Mao, Time Between Dog and Wolf
Played by: Choi Jae Sung

599860084044712136_88f9d054_f.jpg

My favorite villain: hands down. He’s a mob boss, he deals in drugs, and thousands of people probably die as a result of his career decisions. But you know what? He freakin’ loves his employees, and he understands the concept of loyalty like no one’s business, which is why I adored him as a person – drug dealer thing aside… Okay, drug dealer thing majorly aside – and I was honestly more invested in the nearly father-adopted-son relationship of him and the hero than in anything else about this drama.

Source: MyDramaList

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@ecs707a ! First post in project Time of Dog and Wolf :D Ahh I can't wait to hear what you think of this one. I'm done watching all 16 episodes. I'm also through commenting on the whole thing. Did so within the span of a week. The drama is that addictive. I'd watch an episode then comment on it in a word document immediately. You'll notice therefore that my thoughts are closer to being raw/ fresh than refined or overthought. The drama gave something to think over every now and then so there's that too. Unlike our other project, there shall be no delay with any of the episodes as all I have to do is photoshop the screen captures, if any, upload them, then go over the commentary one last time before posting. Yush! Here we go!

ipHuGfCZjPYf1.png

Episode 1

[Marathon Spree Day 1]

The opening scene shows Lee Sohyun (Lee JoonKi) falling off the edge of a bay after a car chase *GASPS!*.

I couldn’t wait for the mother to die. She didn’t give me any reason to hate her but the good mother figure she was made to represent says she has to go as a necessary sacrifice for us to get going with the story. That made her a walking cliché in my book. Almost bored me to death. Her death scene was the peak of the events. The actual act of killing her didn’t bring me to sympathize as did her son’s reaction after she was killed. It’s natural to try protecting your loved ones but her Lee Soo Hyun tried protecting her dead body cuz that’s all he could protect. Ouch!

ibvPgj4KLS1YHA.png

There was a Gaksital moment. The show…masks… shooting…dancing. The moment I saw the masks, I was like, “Thank God someone is gonna kill her and get us over with”.  I love how the gangster didn’t have the heart to kill his daughter’s friend. Makes me wonder if even mercy is a privilege someone in his position isn’t meant to afford. Because it’s that child he spared who’s gonna put his future well-being in danger.

I hate KDrama’s childhood love stories. Ari—aa…she took the lil man’s heart with her after that kiss on the cheek . Why put him thru the misery of a broken heart? You could’ve said your goodbyes without it. Poor thing. Now he’s gonna think of you as his first love. I’m putting up with this nuisance anyhow since it’s a fairly old drama.

Never been to Thailand nor have I watched any Tai content to know better but the production in Thailand seems to have been done though the eyes of Korean tourists. Whenever I read  about Thailand in tourism brochures. There are paragraphs on:

traditional dancing,

iAUsJQcQtBxj2.png

festivals,

igTYe66xH3qgm.png

temples,

iiIrKvbmtlMpr.pngiX02ARcWd0e9e.png

ibr0dR1SMhC6UQ.png

greenery,

itNtPWxxpriJX.png

ibydIJLLef1WLK.png

ioHVJsW9gCjFP.png

iC0zsTC8Q5PYJ.png

ibymLC50mZGnTp.png

and of course the hot weather that gives its people their unique tanned skin contrary to their…let’s say Korean, Japanese Asian parallels.

ibk87Mlf8qvVpF.png

See all that sweat?

List of Clichés I couldn’t help noticing.

1- Tow black cases with suspicious content.

2- A female cop I can’t take seriously.

3- A blonde-haired gangster.

4- Cheater driver/friend from King of Baking being cheater/colleague here. Ha.

Episode 2

[Marathon Spree Day 2]

iMs3O0ZTxTwjg.png

ifRwhKBbFAZjh.png

Upon debating which scap to choose as a header, the runway walk won + a close up.

I couldn't let go of any of the other scaps. I'm throwing them in anyway....

in1ZJi7YmsgQv.png

This sorta blurry scap is our first glance at the hero. Hence its special place in my heart.

i8NDqhFozXeAe.png

Judging by his Insta posts, LJK prefers his photos taken from this angle. Why not aid his aim?

iDksXeD7c6iYA.png

ih3dDK1NTysyK.png

And a couple of scaps for the charismatic spy look.

Eeeek!! Lee Joon Ki  is eye-blindingly h.o.t! Darn it! I don’t want him to become an undercover gangster. That’ll ruin his perfectly-gelled hair.  I was expecting some weird old times styling but nooo he looks as hot as ever. Even better than his style in Two Weeks and Ghunman in Joseon.  I’m in for a treat hehe :D

ibykStBJrSp8gy.png

Took the words out of my mouth Elder! I was thinking the same thing lol. Brawns and brains…

So the son of late government agent  and late persecutor became an agent himself. While his job dictates his involvement with Asian gangs we still haven’t gotten a clear statement whether he worked all these years to be in that particular sector or if’s his foster father who recommended him to be in the department of International Affairs associated with gangsters. It could even be the general manager’s doing since he knows whose son is Lee Soohyun. Either way, oppa is set to meet with the gang that killed his mom. I wonder how much he knows about that matter as of this point. He was a kid after all. His foster father might’ve told him stuff but we don’t know for sure yet.

Childhood love reunion.  Fortunately, I love Nam SangMi. Otherwise the cheesiness would’ve been unbearable. They look awesome together despite that, the third-wheel hyung thinks so too.  Speaking of..I’m digging this guy! Jung KyungHo has a recent drama (Fall in Love with Soon-Jung). It’s been on my to-watch list for some time now, seeing him as MG might’ve made it among my next 3 to-watch. He’s the source of joy in the drama. I laughed so hard when he was critiquing the painting in the art exhibit Ari (now JiWoo) was visiting. The drama seems to have gotten its name from that painting which is why I tried to listen attentively to whatever it is he said but I couldn’t take him seriously. LOL. Sadly he’s meant for heart break. Silver lining is.. what do we got from him being the sad second lead? A tender-hearted hyung who’s been acing the bromance dimension. Ever since Soohyun came to Korea Kang Mingi was there for him to make him feel home.

Foreshadowing. One can never be sure with such element but I hope the scene where LSH stood in front of the memorial monument isn’t meant to foreshadow his own death. Stars symbolizing the unknown heroes whom we’re never to hear of because they died working on secret missions. That would be too heavy for my heart to take. I hope not I hope not I hope not.

I just finished watching it a couple of days  ago....  I am still digesting.

I loved this drama. I loved what Lee Joon-Ki did with this role.  I liked Mao a lot and how Choi Jae-Sung was able to balance to total villain with the soft side of fatherly love to both his daughter and Kay.

I am so glad he is now being re-united with Lee Joon Ki in Joseon Gunman, this time as his real dad...

Oh my! I didn't notice Mao is the righteous father from Gunman in Joseon XD Most be the blondness effect. I tried my hand at this drama because of the other reunion, that of LJK & NSM and I can't be more glad I did.

Thank you so much for the best villains article. I would've been of the same opinion as the writer had s/he given my Kimura Shunji a slightly better place. He's among my top five villains. About Mao, I'm leaving my final judgment of the characters for my post commenting on Ep 16 as there's a lot to say about his relationship with everyone around him but details aside, I second you. He was a pillar to the story because he balanced tow opposite ends so well.

Okay, just finished episodes 1 and 2!  It's a strong start, but I don't really feel like I have that much to say about it, just random things.  Fortunately, I don't think I need to. :D@dr25, what happened to probably not going into as much detail as we did last time?  I shouldn't say anything though.  I'm sure I won't be able to resist over-analyzing at some point. 

So, my list of random things...

• I am really not used to seeing Jung Sung Mo playing a character who's not straight-up eeeevil (at least not yet?).  Haha.  And it's worse because I've been slowly watching King's Daughter Soo Baek Hyang too, and he's a baddie there too.  And of course he'll always be Ma Jun's eeevil bio-dad from Baker King to me.  Surely he's going to turn out to be evil, right?  Would they have cast him otherwise?  I guess I'll find out soon enough.
  • The scene with Soo Hyun's mom at work when all the officers are around, and they're briefing everyone before the big drug bust - what was the significance of the moment when the phone rang and everyone just stared at her until she answered?  I don't get it.  Unless it was just to show that she's something of an outsider as a woman in a very male-dominated career path?
  • I'm pretty sure the restaurant where Ari and her family ate is the same one where Tae Hee and Ja Eun broke up in Ojakgyo Brothers.  You know you've watched too many dramas when things like that happen. 
  • That reveal after the shooting!  I wasn't even thinking about who was behind that mask, but then he takes it off...aaah!  You know him!  You can't do that to your daughter's friend!  You even taught him the secret handshake!  Ha.
  • I did actually really like the childhood portion, and almost wanted it to go on for longer.  It served its purpose and we moved on, but the child actors did well.  Definitely one of the better-constructed and thought out childhood sections of a drama that I can think of.
  • When Soo Hyun moves in with Min Ki and his family, I'm wondering what that scene where dad hits them both is supposed to mean.  So obviously it's completely misguided to beat a child to convince him that he's a part of this family.  He feels like he doesn't belong and gets that maybe not everyone even wants him there, so you hit him?  What's funny though is that it worked, but not in the way intended. It's reluctant mom who's really won over.  She's against this beating too, finally sees how Soo Hyun's feeling, and embraces him both literally and figuratively.  And so a family is born, I guess.
  • Also, Korean logic: you can be younger, even if you're the same age. :)
  • Okay, so we switch to grown ups, and we catch up with everyone.  They really paint adult Min Ki as a slacker, but he made it into the NIS, for goodness sakes.  He can't be that much of a slacker, unless there's some nepotism involved.  Which I suppose isn't out of the question.  But still.  He was kind of the wild card, since we didn't spend much time with the child version of him.
  • Oh god, the reunion of childhood first loves.  I guess it was inevitable, wasn't it?  I literally started fast forwarding that sloooow walk in the rain under the umbrella because it just. kept. going.  Ha.  But likeable kids have grown into likeable adults, at least so far, so that's all I care about right now.

And now that I got all that down, I can actually respond to your post!

I couldn’t wait for the mother to die. She didn’t give me any reason to hate her but the good mother figure she was made to represent says she has to go as a necessary sacrifice for us to get going with the story. That made her a walking cliché in my book. Almost bored me to death. Her death scene was the peak of the events. The actual act of killing her didn’t bring me to sympathize as did her son’s reaction after she was killed. It’s natural to try protecting your loved ones but her Lee Soo Hyun tried protecting her dead body cuz that’s all he could protect. Ouch!

Aw, I liked mom and Soo Hyun's relationship.  But she was a bit of a walking drama cliche.  I read the hands in front of the gun as a simple "don't shoot me" but either way.  Put down the gun, man!  Eep.  That was a good scene.

I hate KDrama’s childhood love stories. Ari—aa…she took the lil man’s heart with her after that kiss on the cheek . Why put him thru the misery of a broken heart? You could’ve said your goodbyes without it. Poor thing. Now he’s gonna think of you as his first love. I’m putting up with this nuisance anyhow since it’s a fairly old drama.

Hahaha.  So true.  No one ever gets over kdrama puppy "first love", do they?  Sigh.

Eeeek!! Lee Joon Ki  is eye-blindingly h.o.t! Darn it! I don’t want him to become an undercover gangster. That’ll ruin his perfectly-gelled hair.  I was expecting some weird old times styling but nooo he looks as hot as ever. Even better than his style in Two Weeks and Ghunman in Joseon.  I’m in for a treat hehe :D

But did you see that near-mullet in the chase scene at the beginning?  I think there will be some questionable hair forthcoming...but you should know better than I do by now. :)

:D@dr25, what happened to probably not going into as much detail as we did last time? 

LOL That was me keeping it short XD The word document named 'commentary' consists of 17 pages only. That's an average of a page (and about 2-3 lines) per episode. No spacing in-between lines but still double spacing between thoughts.

• The scene with Soo Hyun's mom at work when all the officers are around, and they're briefing everyone before the big drug bust - what was the significance of the moment when the phone rang and everyone just stared at her until she answered?  I don't get it.  Unless it was just to show that she's something of an outsider as a woman in a very male-dominated career path?

Wasn't that informant (Jung SungMo) giving her, and them in consequence, the we're-good-to-go sign? That's what I thought anyhow.

• When Soo Hyun moves in with Min Ki and his family, I'm wondering what that scene where dad hits them both is supposed to mean.  So obviously it's completely misguided to beat a child to convince him that he's a part of this family.  He feels like he doesn't belong and gets that maybe not everyone even wants him there, so you hit him?  What's funny though is that it worked, but not in the way intended. It's reluctant mom who's really won over.  She's against this beating too, finally sees how Soo Hyun's feeling, and embraces him both literally and figuratively.  And so a family is born, I guess.

Yeah..that was the moment when she became a mother to them both. I wonder if that's how MG's dad thought she'd react since it seemed to have been a repetitive act lol; milk Ahjumma, "You're grounded again?". I was puzzled by it too. Like, isn't that child abuse? So if he abuses them both instead of going easy on the adopted one for instance, it means he sees them with the same heart. It reminded me of a saying, being unfair to everyone is a form of being fair.

But did you see that near-mullet in the chase scene at the beginning?  I think there will be some questionable hair forthcoming...but you should know better than I do by now. :)

That's why I said I was dreading the transformation T^T Alas agent SH's hair...*sobs/sniffs*. Although as you'll see, it ain't that bad, mullet excluded. I say, and bear my words in mind, this show's hair stylist matches the characters' looks with their emotional state very well. Maybe I rarely paid attention before..although I'm pretty sure I did but I don't remember a drama where styling was that consistent with the character build up. It always made sense. Kudos to stylists. 

iRDSbsY9krBbn.png

Episode 3

@ecs707a Aooooooooooh! I’ve been sold! I’m already in love with this drama. Heck! What a fast-paced emotional rollercoaster ugh.

JW’s gangster daddy came back to Korea. Why? Cuz he wanted to see her foster father/his traitor associate. Plus, do business on the side apparently. Both he managed to do quite successively. I think we’re meant to sympathize with him for the soft spot he has. If I were him I would’ve shot foster daddy on the spot instead of conversing with him then going almost paralyzed by the voice of my daughter whom he stole then declared his own.

i4D7ePWjClUNo.png

iG9aWnYa93cdB.png

(not) Coincidentally, the NIS was tailing blonde-gangster. That lead to SH coming face to face with his mother’s killer whom he recognized via the tattoo on his wrist (ok ok…Iet us let this classical slip) + the burn marks gangster must’ve gotten from when the mother spilled hot Thai drink on his wrist. Aside from the not very creative method, that scene and its consequences got to me. My heart went out for him as all that training and secret agent nerves-of-steel $hit came to nothing at that moment. Again he was that kid from 13 years ago. The shivers that went down his spine despite all his attempts to suppress them. Even mentioning recollections of the story later in the hospital to his dad would render his body unstable.  

ibwqD93fWci325.png

iI4AXQWLvU5NR.png

ieY4COmz6Karh.png

ibzbYzo9p9xT4W.png

One thing we rarely see in KDramas is the fresh memory pieces. This drama doesn’t recycle. Instead it uses the old memories to convey the current novel feelings/status. Like the shot above—grown up SH is still that child, helplessly, standing between his mom’s body and a gun. Another image..young SH was playing with Ari when the masked killer appeared and killed his joy out of nowhere.  At that moment, we see old SH in his place screaming, “ommmaa”, the same way his younger self did seconds ago. Kudos to director-nim. I feel a director crush forming somewhere in my heart.

The show sets hyung to be his dongsing’s competitor. Although, as I trust, he would’ve covered for him had his team leader didn’t stick his nose in before he could, the fact that he fell for the same girl prepares us for a two- ends situation with a brother at each. I don’t know how I feel about that.

ibupKkL5FpNuVu.png

I cracked up at his mimicry of the typical-girl's-reaction-to-a-ring-in-the-food. I have Cruel City and Falling in Love with Soon Jung on me now :D Just waiting for the mood to start a new drama.

Lol JW, I wouldn’t take this girl for a wife. She’s not even his girlfriend but the childhood friend whom he utterly rejected yet she still sneaked a peak at his phone! Really JW? Bless the old Samsung phones for hiding nothing. BTW the NIS set is pretty decent for a 8 years old drama or any KDrama spy drama for that matter. I watched 2010 IRIS and this doesn’t fall short. I was impressed. Also it’s nice seeing veteran actors like Kim KapSu when they were younger. Old dramas merits.

ibm1wcPlPYtSxZ.png

Umm ...I still dislike you General Manger/Chief for kicking SH out over such reason. No matter how good a cause you have Chief, you don't treat the top on his class like this.

- The agreement LSH signed before forcefully quitting the NIS dates to 2005. So I guess we're still in the background story.

iroXbsA3rDEto.png

Episode 4

[Marathon Spree Day 3]

iBgYyDtI3m2qR.png

One for the fangirls  :D

iBLjLIfm9PRPI.png

Loving the getup. A weakness for V-necks :P

Yay for meddlesome girl---friends! I came to think bigger of JW after she went to her dad hoping to help SH 3> . If it weren’t for her, oppa would’ve been sleeping with the fishes by now. I’m aware the star of a 16 episode show can’t die at this point but still, tension was eating me up. So thank you JW for spreading the word about SH’s disappearance. One for the gals. I also love how she was the one to decide the one room situation. There aren’t many guys a girl in a KDrama can trust as much. Of course by now she knows he doesn’t work for an IT company. He too was touched After what she went thru for his sake. Lol they did it regardless of the bruises all over his body. XD

It’s only natural for an agency monitoring a whole nation’s well-being to keep a closer eye on its own employees, I can’t complain. However… darn it! Stop making things harder for every hottie in the drama, would you!? Don’t fire MinGi too over leaking info to SH. What’s the point of building the NIS set if you’re not gonna use it?! Oppa isn’t there. If oppa’s hyung isn’t there too then I suspect they’ll be of lil relevance to me. I don’t care what the big bosses there say. I care about the common oppa man.

ibxGjnhWNyWUK8.png

In This episode SH gave us an alarming confession of his emotional state. Revenge has gotten the best of him, he wants to kill his mother's killer even if it cost him his life, 

ibbw5uukSvI6XX.png

He can no longer go on with his life as long as Mao is still alive; it has become an agony. And now that he's fired from the NIS, he has no way of pursuing him. His feelings of entrapment must be unbearable. So far SH has been driven off an edge, strangled, drowned, operated on, and beaten senseless. I dread what’s coming…

- Kinda off topic. Products placement in 2007. I see (Pepsi, 7Up, Mirinda). On purpose, or were they that spontaneous back then? Umm...

i5ybOzMF3G3v3.png

Yeah..that was the moment when she became a mother to them both. I wonder if that's how MG's dad thought she'd react since it seemed to have been a repetitive act lol; milk Ahjumma, "You're grounded again?". I was puzzled by it too. Like, isn't that child abuse? So if he abuses them both instead of going easy on the adopted one for instance, it means he sees them with the same heart. It reminded me of a saying, being unfair to everyone is a form of being fair.

Yeah, beating them both equally actually does make sense (in a twisted way), but it was the explaining as he beat him that confused me.  Like, "I will beat you until you understand that you're part of this family!" or something to that effect.  Struck me as odd.

Wasn't that informant (Jung SungMo) giving her, and them in consequence, the we're-good-to-go sign? That's what I thought anyhow.

That was the purpose of the phone call, but I was confused about why everyone was just staring at her.  I guess if they all expected the call, and were waiting for it, it would make sense that they stopped what they were doing and stared, huh?  For some reason, though, I would have thought that most of the people in that room wouldn't know the details and background well enough to know that.  Maybe I was mistaken though.  It's much more dramatic this way, in any case :D

Moving on to episodes 3 and 4!

• Can I just say that I'm already kind of tired of this love triangle?  Haha.  I like them all as characters, but just get to the point already.  And I don't like how Ji Woo is only connected to things at the moment because of who's wooing/attempting to woo her.  Of course her past and family connect her to the story in other ways, but those are already known.  Meh.  Love triangles.
  • Oh man, this is going to look like rant after rant from me this ep, isn't it?  I do actually like this show, I promise. :)  But how in the world did that strangulation/shooting/hospital sequence of events make any sense at all?  First, he's strangled, so he's collapsed on the ground.  That makes sense.  Then he revives a bit, grabs the gun, and shoots.  Okay, I can suspend my disbelief that far.  But why is there only one bullet in the gun?  That was his gun, right?  Why would the NIS ever send an agent into a situation like that with only one bullet?  (Okay, okay, I know.  DRAMA.  Ha.)  And then we don't see him again until he's in the hospital, apparently out of immediate danger now, but had been in some serious trouble before.  He didn't really seem all that injured when he fired the gun.  And was that a seizure or a panic attack or what?  Oh dear.  So much drama in this drama. Haha.
  • I feel so bad for poor Min Ki.  The one time he just does his job without complaining or trying to get out of it, he accidentally gets his brother kicked out of the agency.  Oops.  So, timeline: 2005 is when Soo Hyun gets kicked out.  I assume the drama ends in "present" time, so we've got 2 years to go.
  • The big development in these eps in obviously Soo Hyun meeting the man who killed his mom.  What I couldn't figure out for the longest time as I was watching was if he remembered if that man was Ji Woo's dad.  I thought not, but then that conversation on the beach happened, and I thought he was trying to get information out of her for a brief moment.  But then he took her straight to her childhood home, which, for all he knows, might very well be his mother's killer's home to this day.  No reaction.  So, no, he must not remember, right (is this going to be the aaaaangst that tears our lovers apart??)?  I think the problem here, if there is one (in anything except my perception), is that Soo Hyun is totally inscrutable at this stage.  Does he know/does he not know is already a question that a character in the drama has asked of him (in a different context), when Min Ki asks Soo Hyun if he knows that Ji Woo likes him.  He acted surprised then, but I wasn't sure at that point if he really was surprised, and we were supposed to believe that he really didn't know, or he was just acting surprised.  I think I interpreted it as the latter, so that just makes me suspicious of everything that comes from his character.  Does that make any sense?  :)  I think this will get better as the drama goes on.  His character has a lot going on, and I'm finding it difficult to read him at times.  I think (hope) that it's intentional.
  • Funny stuff:  the shootout made me laugh.  Bam!  Pow!  Like a bunch of kids playing.  Not that it was poorly done or anything, just that it was so very over the top action sequence-y.  Haha.
  • And dad!  Your shocked faces make my day.

3-4a_zpsws4foigu.jpg

Aaand...I just went and read your ep 3 & 4 post too, @dr25.  I don't think I really have anything to add. This is working well; you do an actual recap, and then I come in and talk about absolutely nothing of substance.  Haha.  Y'all can kick me out of here at any time. :D

• Oh man, this is going to look like rant after rant from me this ep, isn't it?  I do actually like this show, I promise. :)  But how in the world did that strangulation/shooting/hospital sequence of events make any sense at all?  [...] But why is there only one bullet in the gun?  That was his gun, right?  Why would the NIS ever send an agent into a situation like that with only one bullet? [...]So much drama in this drama. Haha.
  • Funny stuff:  the shootout made me laugh.  Bam!  Pow!  Like a bunch of kids playing.  Not that it was poorly done or anything, just that it was so very over the top action sequence-y.  Haha.

This one is better than 2013 Korean spy drama IRSI which I dropped because I couldn't bring myself to take its wannabe drama seriously. Now since it's a 2007 show.. maybe if you take the results (emotional/ physical) as given and focus less on the methods, it won't pain you this much? Anyhow, you can see the reason why there was only one bullet in the gun if you go back to the scene where Mao strangles him. As he did that he emptied his gun so the one bullet SH used was the one in the chamber. That's why. I don't think the writers are that dumb honestly. Because not only there are two of them but one of them wrote a hardcore war drama right after TOWAD for Su Ji Sub. This guy doesn't just join hands with anyone. That's my opinion.

• The big development in these eps in obviously Soo Hyun meeting the man who killed his mom. [...]  Does that make any sense?  :)  I think this will get better as the drama goes on.  His character has a lot going on, and I'm finding it difficult to read him at times.  I think (hope) that it's intentional.

SH seems like the type who knows better. We're told he's smart which makes it hard to accept that he's that oblivious when certain key facts are concerned. I believe we're meant to wonder frequently whether (he knows or not). Because, for us the audience, if he knows everything from the very beginning, where's the room for growth? He'll have to grow during the course of the drama. It's no fun being the omniscient SH. Still if we thought while watching him fight, "He knows less than he should", I doubt that we'll take him seriously. He shouldn't look like he's in over his head. Most importantly if it's always obvious when he knows something, then how can he be an NIS agent. He'll be caught immediately. If the audience aren't that sure of what's on his mind, other characters won't be sure as well. Making him all the more believable. Needless to say almost everything we discuss is but mere assumption. Refutable and full of holes :)

Aaand...I just went and read your ep 3 & 4 post too, @dr25.  I don't think I really have anything to add. This is working well; you do an actual recap, and then I come in and talk about absolutely nothing of substance.  Haha.  Y'all can kick me out of here at any time. :D

Now you know why I used to avoid reading your posts, that usually came first, at A Man's Story thread before finishing mine.

You're welcome any time :D

• The big development in these eps in obviously Soo Hyun meeting the man who killed his mom. [...]  Does that make any sense?  :)  I think this will get better as the drama goes on.  His character has a lot going on, and I'm finding it difficult to read him at times.  I think (hope) that it's intentional.

SH seems like the type who knows better. We're told he's smart which makes it hard to accept that he's that oblivious when certain key facts are concerned. I believe we're meant to wonder frequently whether (he knows or not). Because, for us the audience, if he knows everything from the very beginning, where's the room for growth? He'll have to grow during the course of the drama. It's no fun being the omniscient SH. Still if we thought while watching him fight, "He knows less than he should", I doubt that we'll take him seriously. He shouldn't look like he's in over his head. Most importantly if it's always obvious when he knows something, then how can he be an NIS agent. He'll be caught immediately. If the audience aren't that sure of what's on his mind, other characters won't be sure as well. Making him all the more believable. Needless to say almost everything we discuss is but mere assumption. Refutable and full of holes :)

I just don't want him to turn out to be an idiot.  Haha.  I know you've seen it happen too.  Don't be an idiot, Soo Hyun!  I can accept him pretending not to know something obvious, but not actually not knowing, given what we've seen about him.  It's not even a general thing at this point, just a couple of specific instances, but it worries me that I can't tell if I'm supposed to know or not if he knows.  I wish that was clearer, because it's important to understanding his motivations.  But maybe I'm just oblivious.  In any case, some of this becomes clearer in episodes 5 and 6, so maybe I was just getting ahead of myself.

Now you know why I used to avoid reading your posts, that usually came first, at A Man's Story thread before finishing mine.

You're welcome any time :D

Oh, I didn't read your post at all until I responded just then.  That was why it was funny.  It just works out well when we post in that order, since I'm making no effort to summarize anything.  I'm just writing about whatever happened to pique my interest in any given set of episodes.  But I was going to read to see if there was anything I wanted to respond to from your post, but I pretty much agree, so there wasn't.

So time to mess up the order then!  Incoherence first this time.

Episodes 5 & 6

• Here's the next time skip, and we're already up to 2007.  Next phase of the revenge plan begins as Soo Hyun gets an offer to do undercover work in Thailand.  Soo Hyun has a number of hairstyles in these episodes.  At least one of which falls squarely into the "questionable" category (although I liked the longer one he had when he first goes to Thailand, in the fight scenes): 5_6d_zpsylqpllmd.jpg~original
    I get that he's in Mao's gang now though, and he has to look just as classy as they do.  Haha.  This one is the one I liked:
    5_6c_zpschzycvt4.jpg~original
  • But before he goes, he has to give us the family goodbye montage.  Of course, they don't know it's goodbye.  I won't complain about the cheesiness if I get a cute water fight out of it though.5_6b_zpssj4hsbwr.jpg~original
  • Related to the goodbye, I wasn't clear on the timing of the elephant thing.  She obviously didn't know he was leaving, so why give the elephant back at all?  And when did it happen?  Probably this was something totally obvious that I missed.  I was kind of fast forwarding through that scene because the music was about to break my brain.  I should have just muted it.  There are subtitles, after all. :) Hindsight.
  • Also related to the undercover gig: I was surprised how ready dad was to throw Min Ki under the bus to get Soo Hyun out of it.  Offering him up for punishment and all.  As if I didn't already feel bad enough for Min Ki, right?
  • So that's a bit of an ongoing theme of these episodes: Min Ki did not have a happy couple of episodes, and the outlook is not good, either.  I continue to feel bad for him, pretty much whatever happens, and he continues to be adorable and sweet.  He's a classic second lead in that way, I guess.  He did manage to negate a little of my goodwill by pulling that elevator stunt though.  The fake arrest is funny and cute; being borderline creepy in the elevator is not.
  • He did get a win with his new NIS position though, hatching that plan to get the corporate spy guy caught, which was nice.
  • Favorite line from these two eps: "If it's gone, forget it."  Referring to the watch, ostensibly.  I thought for a brief moment that they might just let the double meaning pass, but I'm glad they didn't.  That outburst was a long time coming, and made total sense.  (Another "poor Min Ki" moment.)  Obligatory sad Min Ki screencap, after all this focus on him: 5_6e_zps47irzwoq.jpg~original
    Don't cry!  He's not really dead, I swear.
  • And related to the budding romance between him and Ji Woo, as much as I like them both as characters, I'm just completely checked out of the romance.  I'm pretty sure we won't spend much time on it, because we all know it's doomed to fail, right?  It seems silly to waste a bunch of time on it if there's no mystery.  If Soo Hyun's alive, she's going back to him, no matter what.  They may not know he's alive, but I do. 
  • And a general note, and something I can't seem to get past...my main problem is that this drama takes itself so very seriously.  And then it makes me laugh at inappropriate times.  It doesn't necessarily make me like it less because of that, but I almost expect to like something more when that happens (twisted, right?), and it doesn't seem to be working that way this time.  I end up feeling kind of irrationally bad for laughing, like I should be taking this more seriously.  I don't understand why.  It feels like this drama wants me to take it seriously, but I can't.

• And a general note, and something I can't seem to get past...my main problem is that this drama takes itself so very seriously.  And then it makes me laugh at inappropriate times.  It doesn't necessarily make me like it less because of that, but I almost expect to like something more when that happens (twisted, right?), and it doesn't seem to be working that way this time.  I end up feeling kind of irrationally bad for laughing, like I should be taking this more seriously.  I don't understand why.  It feels like this drama wants me to take it seriously, but I can't.

I need to ask you this before I post my comments tomorrow. Would you hate it if I kept counterpointing you all the time? Knowing what I wrote already and what you've been writing so far, I think each one of us will be a representative of an opposite party. For while I can see the imperfections of the drama, I managed to somewhat connect with the writers. Enough to take their work seriously despite its expected flaws here and there. I hate to admit it since I ought to be more objective but it hurts my heart to see you have a kinda low opinion of it XD (correct me if It's not exactly the right word I should be using). I'll be hence differing with you over a few central points. In our previous project we shared a basic admiration for the drama as a whole despite disagreeing over this and that. Here however it's not the same case. The reason I'm asking is because I don't know how well you can take constant disagreements. One side of me trusts that you do take them very well, the other side is afraid my usual blunt way of saying things might give you the wrong idea. Especially since all we share is words, so if any of us took the other's words the wrong way....That wouldn't give a nice impression. Anyhow, let me know your take on this. I'm mostly writing under the effect of seeing that Word War at that other Soompi thread the other day breaking over differences of opinions. While I know I'm not taking any of it to heart or disagreeing out of disrespect, I thought I let you know as a precautionary measure for the many differences of opinions forthcoming. Yeah I'm probably overthinking things again. Can't help it. :P I feel better this way. 

Sorry. I can't keep my fangirl mood in check cuz every time I try to forget, a character reminds me. It's their fault. And I know SH isn't exactly in his best in this shot but the fact stands nonetheless. 

iuSCcBtRA8HWP.png

hehe.. well said JW.

Episode 5

The character of the father helps emphasizing the emotional luggage SH needs to carry while undertaking his mission as a spy within the Cheongbang.

You have to give up everything you've lived for! Your name, your memories, and everyone you loved! It's about your existence disappearing! […] Do you even have a clue how hard the task is going to be? You have to become friends with those you hate. If you meet the one that killed your mother, you have to act like a faithful follower. Do you really think you can handle all that?

Whenever there’s revenge there are two notions present in my mind. One, yes! Go get your revenge and set every bit of your foe’s world on fire.

The other, just let it go or it’ll burn you down before you know it. Grudge hurts its holder more than it does anyone else. This is no exception. SH couldn’t go on with his life because his grudge weighs him down. Initially, he coped with it as he grew up but meeting Mao again triggered it to surface ten times heavier. It’s as if he didn’t know about the hatred piling up inside of him before Mao unleashed it. To get his revenge, he’s willing to throw as much as his whole life away. Hence, he faked his death, and got a new identity in the hope of getting closer to Mao.

New Identity details thus far:

Name: Kay. Nice!

Time spent in undercover service: 2 years

Who’s in the secret circle? General Manger. Daddy. And meeee B) Mom, MG, JW none of them knows. So we got some heart-wrenching reactions to SH fake death. *sniffs*

ibumbeVM73GuDn.png

iOMNFpadzgZvb.png

ibdOHDm1EMpl7O.png

What's the significance of this painting again? << That was what I thought when I first saw this scene last month. But now I know it's our introductory shot to the painting from which the story got its meaning. This painting is called Time of Wolf and Dog (or Time Between Wolf and Dog). The latter makes more sense at this point of the story. MG gave us his critical opinion of it in Ep 3 but the show only shows it to us now. When SH is about to transform himself into an undercover gangster 'Kay'.

idV4UTR7PamUl.png

Episode 6

This episode is full of turning points for many key characters.

JW has finally come to accept SH death. Something she must do to keep moving forward. She paid his grave a visit which is something she never did during the past two years and left the watch he gave her there.

One reason she wanted to move forward is our MG openly confessing his emotions without the, “It’s a joke.” plot twist he adds every time he does so. No more jokes at work too as he proved himself a competent agent by closing a long-term case his sunbaies had trouble closing for years. Good for you! I don’t know about the “he wants to fill SH place” assumption Daddy and Teamleader suggested. It seems to me more like him trying to continue his brother’s dream. He never had one in particular so why not help his brother live thru him? On his first day at the International Affairs Department he stood in front of that monument addressing SH. The way dad and Teamleader put it makes it seem like a futile attempt on his side to take over SH’s place. Like out of jealousy not out of love. I disapprove of that assumption.

iUy7ERNcDtDxO.png

Addressing SH in front of the monument. This ain't the face of a jealous brother. :tears:

SH/Kay made a huge breakthrough as well. After saving Mao from a classical damsel in distress situation he pleaded to be a direct subordinate of his and Mao approved. Now he sees his enemy several times a day as he put it. I’m just worried all those secret meetings with Daddy are being monitored by someone on Mao’s side. It’s like Mao to try toy with an amusing lil fella. Fool him into believing he took him in because of the, “Thirst in [his] eyes”.  Maybe I’m paranoid.

The kick-boxing fights were waay too fake. For although LJK is a good actor, his punches were fake. Well-faked or not, still fake. He didn't look like a wrestler either. The wrestler (or kick-boxer) confronting him was probably a real Thai Mauy guy so he looked like one. The thing is however acting wasn't his craft after all. So one could kick-box the other couldn't. One can act the other couldn't. The one who could fight for real, couldn't actually punch LJK so he had to fake it. Very poorly at that. Which resulted in an awfully fake fight scenes. Wrestler-shi was clearly waiting for LJK to make his move so that he could pretend to fall. Messed up chinja XD I keep using the actor's name not the character's cuz that there was certainly actor LJK not agent SH. Former agent SH wouldn't have had other kick-boxers going easy on him lol.

Roadrunner. First of all… how I like the nickname :P Cuz like a roadrunner Ajushi seems fast and has the survival abilities of a cockroach as the Japanese say (in J-dramas at least). One could easily underestimate his abilities for he doesn’t look all that much. The name suits him well.

I appreciate his help a lot but there’s one thing I keep asking myself: where does his heart lay? I think he was the one to warn Mao of SH’s mother ambush back then so his help for SH now is out of…guilt?

The episode concluded with SH picking up the watch JW left at his grave. Now he knows!

iwTNQS7I8yKEr.png

• Soo Hyun has a number of hairstyles in these episodes.  At least one of which falls squarely into the "questionable" category (although I liked the longer one he had when he first goes to Thailand, in the fight scenes):
    I get that he's in Mao's gang now though, and he has to look just as classy as they do.  Haha.

See. You put it in a funny way but that was what I was talking about. He had a hairstyle as agent SH that was neat formal-occupations friendly. Then he changed his hairstyle when he became Thai kick-boxing Kay. Into a sorta messy one. One that wouldn't take much time to make with the right technique yet has a bit of work done on it. Someone with Kay's unpredictable life style (sudden fights here and there) would sport. Since he also works around night clubs and prostitutes where there's lots of glamour, he can't just have a natural straight hair. So they gave him something in the middle. Now that he got into the gang, he started sporting a hairstyle befitting of the officially instated gangster him lol. Stylists are sooo invested in the story I tell ya XD. And it's not only SH who got a new hairstyle in correspondence with his new status. MG did too.

iJO58e7u9p5to.jpg

Hottie of this this set of episodes :D

irSJXfP1sIJCt.png

Don't mind roadrunner. The one pretending to be his secretary in the back...The glasses MG.

ijsWeYXU09D1I.png

A close up.

Related to the goodbye, I wasn't clear on the timing of the elephant thing.  She obviously didn't know he was leaving, so why give the elephant back at all?  And when did it happen?  Probably this was something totally obvious that I missed.

I thought this one was too convenient for the story's 'natural' flow. It's like the show wanted JW to give it back to him now, although she had no idea he's leaving, so that he would have a token to hold on to when he's away, y'know. We saw her unearth it from her old belonging. It could pass as JW desperate efforts to turn him into her boyfriend. Like as soon as they reunited, "I still have your elephant, our childhood elephant, take it and carve it for me cuz I need to find a way to force you to think of me. This could be it." Then, oops. accident. Cut to Kay in Thailand holding his childhood sweetheart's token as the only thing that links him back to his old real self. I respect the symbolism but not the cheesiness. Again I'm probably too jaded while I shouldn't. That was brand new plot enhancement techniques back then. Shame on me.

• Also related to the undercover gig: I was surprised how ready dad was to throw Min Ki under the bus to get Soo Hyun out of it.  Offering him up for punishment and all.  As if I didn't already feel bad enough for Min Ki, right?

You make it sound as if Father said leave SH out of the undercover mission, take MG instead. He never did something like that. I didn't feel sorry for neither of them. I was happy for them actually. Chief's threatened to punish MG for leaking info to his brother if the Father doesn't allow SH's undercover mission to start. Father knows his sons well enough to make such call on their behalves. Had he gave in to the threat I wouldn't have taken him seriously ever again as a veteran NIS agent. There were only two possibilities. He knew Chief was bluffing so why give in? Or he ain't bluffing, in which case so be it. If he has to make a son 'temporary' unemployed to prevent another from possible death then fine. Fire MG. Let's not forget, SH's foster father was friends with SH's biological father. The latter was an undercover agent and the former watched what happened to his friend after he became one. So his fear is totally justifiable. Also what if he agreed to let SH go undercover to prevent MG's punishment. What would be MG's reaction? Suppose he were a reason why Father couldn't stop SH from throwing his life away, would he like it? If something is to happen to his brother in that secret mission, would he forgive himself.  No, I bet MG would've said the same thing to the Chief. Punish me but don't you dare send my dongsing SH on that dangerous mission.

• So that's a bit of an ongoing theme of these episodes: Min Ki did not have a happy couple of episodes, and the outlook is not good, either.  I continue to feel bad for him, pretty much whatever happens, and he continues to be adorable and sweet.  He's a classic second lead in that way, I guess.  He did manage to negate a little of my goodwill by pulling that elevator stunt though.  The fake arrest is funny and cute; being borderline creepy in the elevator is not.

Last week I marathoned Falling in Love with Soon Jung. It had another elevator scene where JKH's character playfully cornered a girl he likes one-sidedly. He didn't just lean close to her like in here. He used his leg as a circle around her o_0 I'm saying...I don't think it's totally coincidental '.' JKH-shi you thought no one would remember your other creepy elevator scene and connect the dots? lol. Now that I think of it Cruel City had one too. That elevator scene in the drama teaser! It was meant to look sexy in a forbidden fruit kinda way but if I add it to the sequence here, there's indeed a pattern JKH-shi. XD I'm half serious about this.

• He did get a win with his new NIS position though, hatching that plan to get the corporate spy guy caught, which was nice.

ibsUQLLNTGXF07.png

What MG was actually doing with his laptop during that big secret mission  :P Drawing a fish that close from taking the bait. lol My MG. Good to now he still has his humor after SH's supposed death. The slacker inside him has been tamed but lives on still too.

• Favorite line from these two eps: "If it's gone, forget it."  Referring to the watch, ostensibly.  I thought for a brief moment that they might just let the double meaning pass, but I'm glad they didn't.  That outburst was a long time coming, and made total sense.  (Another "poor Min Ki" moment.)

I hope the show will continue to give you more favorite lines/scenes/characters/subplots..etc :)

Hello everyone,

Wow, I am so supprised when I see this "old" drama that still alive in Soompi forum...kidding... :D

After thousand years watching all type of dramas, TBDAW is still my 1st on the top list.

I love everything relating to this drama, it doesn't need to be something big, telling some important serious stories in the world as in huge projects such like IRIS or ATHENA...etc, but the plot itself is much better and hard to forget... My English is not enough to express how good the drama is in my opinion, all I want to say, TBDAW is like a legend of thriller-action dramas in my heart that makes other same type of Korean dramas hard to top it. :)

You make it sound as if Father said leave SH out of the undercover mission, take MG instead. He never did something like that. I didn't feel sorry for neither of them. I was happy for them actually. Chief's threatened to punish MG for leaking info to his brother if the Father doesn't allow SH's undercover mission to start. Father knows his sons well enough to make such call on their behalves. Had he gave in to the threat I wouldn't have taken him seriously ever again as a veteran NIS agent. There were only two possibilities. He knew Chief was bluffing so why give in? Or he ain't bluffing, in which case so be it. If he has to make a son 'temporary' unemployed to prevent another from possible death then fine. Fire MG. Let's not forget, SH's foster father was friends with SH's biological father. The latter was an undercover agent and the former watched what happened to his friend after he became one. So his fear is totally justifiable. Also what if he agreed to let SH go undercover to prevent MG's punishment. What would be MG's reaction? Suppose he were a reason why Father couldn't stop SH from throwing his life away, would he like it? If something is to happen to his brother in that secret mission, would he forgive himself.  No, I bet MG would've said the same thing to the Chief. Punish me but don't you dare send my dongsing SH on that dangerous mission.

Well, when you put it in terms of possible death vs. getting fired... :)

I think my heart is bleeding a little for Min Ki.  So there, now I have a favorite character.  I probably did all along, but it's becoming a bit more clear.  It just seems like dad has always been a little more attentive to Soo Hyun over Min Ki.  You could chalk it up to feeling sorry for him, but over your own kid?  I think his heart is obviously in the right place, trying to keep Soo Hyun out of a dangerous situation, but the way he offers up his own son completely without hesitation...

And the question was never the opposite.  I'm sure Min Ki would suck it up and take whatever punishment if it meant that Soo Hyun wasn't risking his life.  I'm not questioning that.  But it's the constant pitting one against the other in subtle and not-so-subtle ways that's getting to me. By their own dad, which I'm sure stings the most, but by other characters too.

On his first day at the International Affairs Department he stood in front of that monument addressing SH. The way dad and Teamleader put it makes it seem like a futile attempt on his side to take over SH’s place. Like out of jealousy not out of love. I disapprove of that assumption.

Like that!  See?  Haha. 

I appreciate his help a lot but there’s one thing I keep asking myself: where does his heart lay? I think he was the one to warn Mao of SH’s mother ambush back then so his help for SH now is out of…guilt?

I wonder too.  I thought what he was doing earlier was just for money, or just whatever job came along.  Either he's cleaned up his act for real this time, or is there still a chance he might just turn around and betray someone again?  We haven't had any hints that he feels guilty about that particular incident with SH's mom.  I don't know if we're just supposed to infer that from his behavior now, or if we're just supposed to forget about it, and it was just a way to introduce the character and his skill set, and that's that.  Nothing personal.  I'm not sure, but I guess it'll become more clear later.

What MG was actually doing with his laptop during that big secret mission

That part cracked me up.  How many times has he done that in his life that he could do it so quickly and perfectly like that?  It's like the typing equivalent of doodling in class - you look like you're working/taking notes, but you're not.  Has he been training for this moment for years?  All that hard work slacking finally paid off. :D

Episodes 7 & 8

These episodes are a lot more fun.  That's a good sign, right?  I have my ongoing notes for this show, and these two episodes were almost a page all by themselves.  But it's almost just a list of reactions, so it's extra funny reading it now, and trying to write something that makes sense here, lol.  We'll see how this goes.

The usual randomness...

On the Min Ki-Ji Woo front:

• She wears the watch, and suddenly I care!  But only because she's going to break his puppy heart, isn't she?  Don't break his heart, Ji Woo.
  • It occurs to me that Min Ki may feel closer to Soo Hyun by being with Ji Woo.  He can hang on to another part of his brother by being with her, while she feels like she has to let Soo Hyun go to be with Min Ki.  It's an interesting conflict.

On the Soo Hyun-Ji Woo front:

• Soo Hyun goes into creepy stalker mode now that he's back in Korea:
    7_8a_zpsbvbpmjhi.jpg~original
    That elephant again...
  • And through the stalking, he finds out that Min Ki and Ji Woo are together.  He knows that Min Ki liked her too, so not so surprising. It's hard being fake-dead. Your brother steals your girl and you can't do anything about it.
  • When Ji Woo calls her dad, it's Soo Hyun that picks up the phone.  I really thought, given her state of mind in these episodes (seeing him everywhere, whether he's there or not), that she would recognize his voice!  I guess not.  Although I guess it's a moot point, since she sees him in the very next scene.  And he greets her with a smirk.  Haha.  How funny is it that amnesia-Soo Hyun smiles so much more than the normal one?

Soo Hyun, amnesia, and gang stuff:

• We're back to the opening chase stuff.  That happened faster than I thought.  So we get to see what happens after he plunges into the water with his friend the elephant.  But...shouldn't the elephant float?  It looks like it's sinking.  Is it the chain that's weighing it down?  Is there some symbolism there?  Something about external forces dragging down their pure love something something.  Haha.  But they wouldn’t attach such importance to it and then make it disappear, right?  It’ll be back.  (It’ll pop back up?  I crack myself up.)
  • Why did they not take him to a hospital?  Too remote?  And of course he has amnesia.  Hahaha.  This is perfect.
  • Amnesia makes him brave though.  And rather reckless too.  And that hug!  Oh, I imagine that would have elicited a different reaction had he known who he was hugging.
  • Ooh, new second in command!  Is it possible that Mao knows that Soo Hyun was not quite what he seemed, and now sees the opportunity to get him fully on his side, now that he’s a blank slate?  Or is it as simple as what he said, that he saved him, he’s been loyal, etc.  Interesting.
  • And he calls him son!  Way to confuse him.  :D  
    7_8c_zpsu5qkkzif.jpg~original
  • This made me laugh, from the conversation between dad and the chief.  Two reasons why they haven’t heard from Soo Hyun: “One, he is being watched very closely. The other is that he has really gone to join their side.” No no no, there’s a third possibility, silly.  Amnesia, because it happens all the time!  This should really be in the spy handbook.

Min Ki and dad, to add to what we talked about earlier:

• Two main scenes are relevant here.  First, the "How long will I have to compete with a dead guy?" conversation.  Poor guy.  He misunderstands what’s going on, but the sentiment is the same.  Dad really does seem to ignore him in favor of Soo Hyun.  For a good reason right now, granted, but still.
  • Which probably leads to the second scene.  I guess dad really does care about Min Ki, since he played the kdrama dad card, the "Did you eat?” question.  You old softy.  Not good enough, though.  I think it may be starting to sink in that Soo Hyun is really dead to Min Ki, even though he's not to him.  It's bad enough to be passed over in favor of a sibling that's alive, but when he's dead?  Be a little more sensitive, dad.

Funny things:

• The list of scenes I feel a little guilty for laughing at continues to grow.  The sunset elephant scene, for one:
    7_8b_zpsczvotntd.jpg%7Eoriginal
    Also the reaction to finding out about Ji Woo's dad, and the hundreds of holes in the car when they raise it out of the water after the chase.  Oh my god. 
  • The thing that Min Ki didn't like the taste of before was cilantro?  Was it translated as something else before?  That struck me as funny for some reason.  And yes, cilantro is delicious.  Come over to the dark side, Min Ki.
  • I happened to read a synopsis for this drama at some point this week.  I sometimes avoid synopses because I think they give too much away.  So I thought it would be safe to read it now that I'm well into the drama.  This one might be in that "giving too much away" category, but it also would have answered my question definitively: does Soo Hyun remember that his mom’s killer is Ji Woo’s dad?  I guess the answer is definitely no, but he finds out in these two episodes.  Meh.  All that questioning, and I could have just read the synopsis, right?  Ha.
  • And the "in the movies" line about amnesia...lol

And everyone is spying on everyone, and any possible spying combination that we hadn't covered so far probably was initiated in these episodes.  Again the question arises about Roadrunner's loyalty.  Can he be bought?  Seems like no, for now.

@ecs707a and @dr25, I'm enjoying reading your Project Between Dog and Wolf.  I'm just loving your insights,  yall are just cracking me up w/some of them.  I've watched this drama a few times, there is just something about it that makes me miss it from time to time. I was never team MG but am starting see him in a different light from reading your observations. But enough of my thoughts. It is fun to read yours. 

Hi @evie7 @TTXFYoung @astrantia     ib0SamdX2oAu2x.gif  greetings the LJK way :D 

Hello everyone,

Wow, I am so supprised when I see this "old" drama that still alive in Soompi forum...kidding... :D

After thousand years watching all type of dramas, TBDAW is still my 1st on the top list.

I love everything relating to this drama, it doesn't need to be something big, telling some important serious stories in the world as in huge projects such like IRIS or ATHENA...etc, but the plot itself is much better and hard to forget... My English is not enough to express how good the drama is in my opinion, all I want to say, TBDAW is like a legend of thriller-action dramas in my heart that makes other same type of Korean dramas hard to top it. :)

I couldn't have put it better myself. It's the heart attachment this drama accomplishes that made the difference to me. I don't care how many cliches it has, it made me care for the characters and its plot entertained. A classical gem indeed. It was ahead of its time at certain things too. The set, and (god!) the thrills. Aish! They manipulated my emotions for the whole 15 episodes lol. First episode doesn't count.

I was as pleasantly surprised as you are by the relative liveliness of this thread XD I wonder if's due to the show's popularity or to the cast's popularity. You seem to be a fan of the drama. I'm happy I watched it. Didn't feel like I wasted my precious time. I don't know about the first IRIS but the second one sure isn't one tenth as good as TBWD to me.

@ecs707a and @dr25, I'm enjoying reading your Project Between Dog and Wolf.  I'm just loving your insights,  yall are just cracking me up w/some of them.  I've watched this drama a few times, there is just something about it that makes me miss it from time to time. I was never team MG but am starting see him in a different light from reading your observations. But enough of my thoughts. It is fun to read yours. 

Thanks dear for taking the time to let us know you're reading. Glad to know we're causing some smiles. Ecs-shi is the left party here while I'm the typical fan in love with the drama. We didn't intend it to be so but somehow writing our thoughts on the show turned into a comparative analysis (in the most loose sense of the term). You might've noticed that already XD Please drop in with your insights whenever you feel like it. We'll be doing the whole drama and since you've watched it more than once, I'm sure we'll come (or have come) across some of your favorite scenes at some point :)

Drama #1 in my list.

Yesterday I was celebrated 7th anniversary of airing (2007.07.18) this drama.

My congrats and thanks for all filmmakers!

I just noticed that we started this marathon on the same month the drama started 8 years ago. I'll consider it my way to celebrate the drama's 8th anniversary

^_^

@ecs707a 

I admit to laughing too much reading your post. I shouldn't since you mostly bashed my favorite set of episodes but truth be told. I'm trying to make this an every Tuesday thing so till tomorrow. Yeah..I tagged you to say just this. Feels weird.

Archived