Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Drama “Crash Course in Romance” | Movie “Kill Boksoon” (NETFLIX)]

Helena

Guest jahye

I'm late in the celebration but here's a belated CONGRATULATIONS to JEON DO YEON!!!!! :w00t:

img250263398yb4.jpg

Here are MANY pictures from Cannes..

The premiere of Secret Sunshine

81502078za1.jpg

11ld8.jpg

12ga3.jpg

13qk3.jpg

14xe8.jpg

15rt3.jpg

16bb0.jpg

17ck5.jpg

18ra9.jpg

The photocall for Secret Sunshine

46612293zc1.jpg

11uk3.jpg

12in5.jpg

13fn3.jpg

14kq4.jpg

16bu4.jpg

18wr5.jpg

19oe1.jpg

110lg8.jpg

112hy9.jpg

113hz7.jpg

114dc3.jpg

115ao1.jpg

116rr8.jpg

119xn3.jpg

120ut4.jpg

121op5.jpg

122mz3.jpg

125ax8.jpg

127ld8.jpg

128jf6.jpg

129vr2.jpg

132xm8.jpg

134zn3.jpg

140ql4.jpg

142ou8.jpg

The awards ceremony

96195998vx9.jpg

15xf1.jpg

18rk3.jpg

112fy7.jpg

113qo8.jpg

114lv2.jpg

115zz1.jpg

116hh9.jpg

117ue6.jpg

118ml6.jpg

119sv5.jpg

120la7.jpg

credits; gettyimages for the pictures..

A LOT more can be found at gettyimages.com but all their pictures have annoying watermarks unless you have an account..

Jeon's best actress award shines light on troubled movie industry

South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon's winning of the Cannes Film Festival's best actress award on Monday offered a glimmer of hope for the local film industry which stands at a crossroads due to rising production costs and shrinking box office revenue.

Last year, South Korea was the fifth-biggest movie market in the world with attendance rising to some 166 million worth about US$1.1 billion, a sea change from 1996 when attendance was at a record low of 42 million. Over the past decade, its market share increased to 64 percent from 16 percent, and exports hit about $76 million in 2005.

But now this stellar achievement is being eclipsed by rising production costs, a sharp decline in exports last year and the onslaught of Hollywood movies, less than a year after South Korea's screen quota system was scaled down under pressure from the United States, according to industry officials.

In addition, South Korea's multiplex chains, owned by such conglomerates as CJ and Lotte, prefer to keep the "unequal" box office revenue split system at a time when most people in the movie production sector are bleeding money.

In addition to high salaries for top actors and directors, production companies face yet another financial trouble as a new labor pact between producers and movie workers is going to take effect on July 1. Under the deal, movie workers are to earn their wages on a weekly basis instead of payment based on a per-film system. "In South Korea, it costs an average 5 billion won to make one movie, twice the cost of that in Japan," said Oh Ki-min, president of the film production company Ifilm. "The Korean market is smaller and makes less money and the revenue is much smaller, but the production cost is much higher. This is totally wrong."

Currently, most Korean productions divide revenue fifty-fifty, while foreign films split revenue with theater owners sixty-forty, a business practice employed by local producers to encourage theaters to screen their movies when their films were unpopular decades ago. Rampant piracy of CDs and home videos in South Korea is also complicating efforts to offset soaring production costs.

For example, "The Host," a South Korean blockbuster with a record 13 million admissions worth about $90 million, is likely to rake in a mere $700,000 in CD and video sales. It is a far cry from the situation in the U.S. and Japan, where CD and home video sales can respectively amount to 250 percent and 300 percent of film revenue, according to industry sources.

But some point out that South Korea's movie industry is in a downturn, but profits will come along down the line as the business is cyclical in nature. Their optimistic view is based on an increase in the number of South Korean movies released over the past few years.

"The Korean movie market has a very solid foundation as it has great actors and directors. Despite overwhelming challenges, I think the future is positive," said Park Kyung-pil, president of an association of movie investment companies. "I just hope the film industry will ride out painful structural changes with the backing of the government."

SEOUL, May 28 (Yonhap News)

Copied from http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edi...ent/212378.html

Guest chiara

Congratulation Onnie.. you deserve it.

Here is an excerpt from the news in our local newspaper, The Jakarta Post (her pic is on the front page)

South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon, who stars in a tragic movie on death and faith, Secret Sunshine, won the Cannes filmfest's best actress award Sunday.

The 34-year-old actress was acclaimed for her brave performance as a grieving wife and mother in South Korean melodrama, the first picture in four years by Lee Chang-dong, a former South Korean culture minister.

"I can't believe I'm here," said Jeon, wearing a silver lame evening gown.

"There are many fabolous actresses here at the festival and I would like to represent them all here tonight. It is a great honor for me to have this prize."

2007/05/28

Roh congratulates actress Jeon over Cannes award

200705280069qe9.jpg

SEOUL, May 28 (Yonhap) -- President Roh Moo-hyun Monday sent a congratulatory message to actress Jeon Do-yeon who won the Cannes film festival's best actress award for her performance in her latest movie "Secret Sunshine" the previous day, the presidential office said.

"South Korean film has once again received tremendous applause from the world. I want to pay Jeon Do-yeon compliments for her enthusiasm and efforts displayed in 'Secret Sunshine.' I also want to offer congratulations to the film's director, Lee Chang-dong, and other staff," said Roh in a message.

"Secret Sunshine has shown the potentials of South Korean films. The South Korean people, blessed with creative and artistic talents, will be able to achieve a lot more in the future if the entire nation works harder," the president said.

The 34-year-old Jeon was acclaimed for her brave performance as a grieving wife and mother in the South Korean melodrama, the first picture in four years by Lee, a former South Korean culture minister.

ycm@yna.co.kr

Source: Yonhap News, image from empas.com

http://english.yna.co.kr/Engnews/20070528/...28095746E2.html

May 29, 2007 10:01 KST

Milyang in Festive Mood After Cannes Win

"I feel great since the actress in 'Secret Sunshine' won the Best Actress award at the Cannes Film Festival," said Kang Myung-gon, a 40-year-old operator of a car repair shop in Milyang, where much of the movie was shot. "Milyang is in the world spotlight thanks to that movie," Kang said, beaming with pride.

As the news spread on Monday that Jeon Do-yeon won the Best Actress award at Cannes for her performance in "Secret Sunshine," which in Korean is simply "Milyang," the residents of this small inland city in South Gyeongsang province, population 120,000, were very excited.

In the movie, Jeon Do-yeon plays a widow who moves with her young son to Milyang, her husband's hometown. There her woes are multiplied when her son is abducted and found dead.

Jong-chan, played by Song Gang-ho, is a car repair shop owner who falls in love with her and helps her. Milyang, which is also the name of the local region, in Chinese characters means "secret sunshine."

As word got out, a large banner was hung on the front of the city hall. "Congratulations for Winning Best Actress in the Cannes Film Festival for 'Milyang'," it said. Several more banners were placed throughout the city in locations where the movie was shot, such as Milyang train station.

"Since the movie came out, a lot of tourists have asked me the location of the private piano school that Jeon Do-yeon's character runs," said Oh Hwa-ja, owner of a small store nearby the school. "It seems more visitors will come to Milyang thanks to the movie."

Before the news, Milyang citizens were concerned that the movie showed the city through a gloomy filter, but the atmosphere has changed with the award.

"I was actually concerned about the movie since it described an abduction in Milyang," said Kim Doo-young, a 51-year-old Milyang resident. "Now I'm relieved because more tourists are expected to visit Milyang thanks to Jeon winning the award at the film festival."

Ninety percent of the movie was shot in Milyang, from last September to February this year. The city lent its full support to the shoot, and now it seems that favor will be repaid.

Um Yong-su, mayor of Milyang, has ordered the formation of a taskforce to help develop the city. "There will be countless benefits from the movie 'Milyang'," Um said. "Milyang is now known to the world thanks to the movie. We are going to seize this opportunity to develop Milyang into a Mecca of the arts."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0705290019.html

Tuesday, 29 May 2007

Jeon Do-yeon turns "Secret Sunshine" into hot property

Written by Darcy Paquet

SEOUL –Cannes' presentation of its Best Actress award to Jeon Do-yeon for her role in "Secret Sunshine" has electrified South Korea, with immediate results expected at the box office.

News of the award has prompted a media blitz, with Jeon's acceptance speech headlining local news programs and president Roh Moo-myun sending a congratulatory message to the 34-year old actress.

The win ranks as only the second acting prize for a Korean thesp at a top-tier international festival since Kang Su-yeon won at Venice in 1987 for her performance in Im Kwon-taek's "Surrogate Mother".

Meanwhile, online reservation sites have reported a surge of interest in "Secret Sunshine" in the 24 hours since the award.

Released on May 23, "Sunshine" originally opened at #2 with a so-so $2.4 million in its first five days, compared to a $19.6 million for "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End". However reservation site Maxmovie reported that on Monday, reservations jumped from 11.3% to 31.6% of overall sales.

Also, in a hastily-conducted online poll by Maxmovie, over 50% of respondants indicated that the Cannes win for Jeon's performance made them more interested in watching the film.

Although online reservations do not always accurately reflect overall box office performance, distributor Cinema Service will be anticipating a box office windfall in the coming week.

Meanwhile stock in Jeon's talent management company iHQ rose 8.89% on Monday to close at 5400 won per share.

Source: Variety Asia Online

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/1454/53/

oh my oh my.....

She met with her fav actress Maggie Cheung! I remember reading about her wanting to meet the stars at Cannes.

From the President's message to 120,000 population at city of Milyang banner to Secret Sunshine box office increases/ iHQ stock prices rising.......wow..wow wow....good things are definitely rolling in for her!!!!

May 29, 2007

Some of the brilliant recent achievements by Korean women in the international sports and performing arts fields

070529issueiils0.jpg

Korean women are making a great name for themselves in the international arena. Actress Jeon Do-youn has just garnered the Best Actress Award at the 60th Cannes International Film Festival. Kim Young recently won the Corning Golf Classic in Corning, New York. And virtuoso cellist, Chang Han-na, just made her debut as conductor. These brilliant achievements are encouraging to talented Korean women in various fields, and now they will be able to play a more dynamic role in enriching the life of humankind.

On Sunday, Jeon Do-youn became the first South Korean actress to garner the award for best actress at the Cannes International Film Festival, one of the world’s three major film festivals, for her role in the Korean film “Secret Sunshine,” directed by Lee Chang-dong. The prize is welcome international recognition for a Korean actress, as it’s been 20 years since Kang Soo-yeon won the Best Actress Award for her role in “Sibaji,” or “The Surrogate Woman,” at the Venice International Film Festival in 1987. It was also the second time for an Asian actress to win the Cannes award. Chinese actress Maggie Cheung received the award in 2004 with “Clean.”

Jeon was singled out for her depiction of a young widow who moves to her late husband’s hometown. The New York Times praised Jeon’s portrayal of a meek soul in torment as a “tour de force.” As Jeon said, the achievement was made possible not just by herself, but with the support of her partners, actor Song Gang-ho, and Director Lee.

Meanwhile, Kim Young won the 1.3 million dollar Corning Classic in New York, at 20-under 268, three strokes less than the runners-up. Kim fired a four-under 68 at Sunday’s final, three strokes less than her compatriot Kim Mi-hyun, who won the SemGroup Championship at the beginning of this month.

This is her first LPGA title since her debut in U.S. professional women’s golf in 2003. Kim’s win marked the third consecutive year for a South Korean to capture the Corning Classic. Han Hee-won won the championship in 2006 and Kang Ji-min in 2005.

Another South Korean woman, Chang Han-na, is a child prodigy-turned-young virtuoso cellist. On Sunday, she expanded her musical diversity, not by adding a new piece to her already broad repertoire, but by taking on a whole new musical role. She made her debut as conductor at the first Seongnam International Youth Orchestra Festival, the nation’s first youth orchestra festival, at the Seongnam Art Center in Seongnam, Gyeonggi Province. Chang wielded the baton for a joint orchestra comprised of South Korean, German and Chinese members, in a performance of Beethoven’s 7th Symphony in A major, and the Coriolan Overture in C Minor. Music critics said Chang’s conducting was so dynamic, that they were reminded of Leonard Bernstein.

Many Korean women are blazing new trails in various fields, and their brilliance in only expected grower stronger.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/mcontents/issue/1458494_11694.html

Guest jahye

Fans and media giving a warm welcome back to Jeon Do Yeon! Pictures taken at the Incheon airport when the trio returned to Korea.

(the woman in blue is her mom)

21ku0.jpg

22ca8.jpg

66893938gs4.jpg

20070529163603251571cv9.jpg

23os7.jpg

24yh5.jpg

25bw4.jpg

26wc5.jpg

27al3.jpg

17646057la0.jpg

31iu4.jpg

32sy4.jpg

20070529165427459071lq7.jpg

33sl9.jpg

34tu4.jpg

35mh7.jpg

29366466qr9.jpg

41jw2.jpg

91821224lw3.jpg

credits; star news + newsen

Guest kyotoji

Really happy for her.

Congratulations, Jeon Do yeon.

You truly deserve the Best Actress award in Cannes Film Festival.

Always admired Jeon Do yeon's versatility as an actress.

And wow, she is so radiantly beautiful that nite.

And that smile, so radiantly opened and cannot be closed.

You have really worked hard and proved that you can do so.

Aja Aja Fighting...

Woo... i suppose the day when she arrived back in Incheon Airport, it must be flooded with tons and tons of people, be it be fans, media and family members, crew members, management staff...

i want to give you a hug too...

Fans and media giving a warm welcome back to Jeon Do Yeon! Pictures taken at the Incheon airport when the trio returned to Korea.

credits; star news + newsen

lol i think she was overwhelmed by the media and the people gathered to welcome her back ^^ but so sweet her mother was there too !^^

Woo... i suppose the day when she arrived back in Incheon Airport, it must be flooded with tons and tons of people, be it be fans, media and family members, crew members, management staff...

i want to give you a hug too...

ya it was flooded ^^ ..here the clips

20070529212705.676.0.jpg

clip 1 : mms://mmc.daumcast.net/tvnews/ytnstar/200705/29/200705291829172738_s.wmv

clip 2 : mms://mmc.daumcast.net/tvnews/ytni/200705/29/200705291919214968_s.wmv

앵커멘트]

칸 영화제 여우주연상의 주인공 전도연씨가 당당히 세계적인 스타가 돼 오늘(29일) 귀국했습니다.

입국 현장, 이양희 기자가 보도합니다.

[리포트]

세계적인 영화의 중심지 칸에서 올해의 여인으로 등극한 전도연.

그녀가 대스타가 돼 우리곁에 돌아왔습니다.

이창동 감독과 송강호 씨와 함께 나란히 입국장에 들어 선 전도연 씨의 표정은 시종 밝았습니다.

월드 스타라는 수식어에 어울리지 않게 화장도 하지 않았지만 '칸의 여왕'의 모습은 소박하면서도 화려했습니다.

몰려 드는 취재진에 놀란 듯 한 표정을 지으면서도 이내 여유를 찾고 간단히 수상 소감을 밝혔습니다.

[인터뷰:전도연, 칸 영화제 여우주연상]

"수상여부를 떠나서 결과도 굉장히 좋았지만 칸극장에 들어서 그자리에 있다는 것만으로도 영광스럽다고 생각을 했어요."

마중을 나온 어머니를 만난 기쁨도 잠시 순식간에 몰려든 인파에 곧바로 자리를 뜨고 맙니다.

[인터뷰:전도연, 칸 영화제 여우주연상]

"기쁘다는 말로 표현이 다 되는지 모르겠네요. 실감도 잘 안 나는 것 같고요."

공항을 나서는 내내 취재 경쟁도 치열했습니다.

100여 명 이상의 내외신 기자들이 몰려 들었고 이를 구경하려는 인파까지 더해 오후 내내 북새통을 이뤘습니다.

YTN 이양희입니다.

[저작권자© YTN & Digital YTN. 무단 전재-재배포 금지]

이양희

http://tvnews.media.daum.net/part/lifetv/2.../v16907868.html

If I'm not mistaken :blush: all these actors have been JDY's leading men in all her past series & movies. Right? :rolleyes::lol:

May 29, 2007

ya they are .

with Han Suk-kyu in The Contact

with Park Shin Yang in The Promise

with Lee byung Hun in Harmonium in My Memory

with Choi Min Shik and Jo Jin Moo in Happy End

with Sol Kyung-gu in I Wish I had a wife

with Ryu Seung-beom and Jung Jae-young in No blood No Tears

With Bae yong Jun in Untold Scandal

With Pak Hae-il in My Mother The Mermaid

with Hwang jungmin in You are my Sunshine

with Song Kang Ho in Secret Sunshine

with Jo In Sung in Shooting stars

with Kim Joo Hyuk and Kim Min Jooon in Lover in prague

[the contact the only one i always cant find the time to watch it --;; .then i will have complete the list ]

^Thanks for the full list of names, those are definitely some of Korea's best & accomplished actors working with JDY. :blush: I've only seen Harmonium in My Memory, Happy End, Untold Scandal, You are My Sunshine & Lovers in Prague but they can sure jolt one off their seats with the vast and intense versatility of an actress, worth of Cannes recognition. Can't wait Secret Sunshine...

05-29-2007 18:58

Cannes' Best Actress

Award for Jeon Should Bring Shine to Film Industry

Jeon Do-youn’s best actress award at Cannes could hardly come at a better moment for herself and many others. It was the first top acting award given to a Korean at a major film festival in 20 years, reconfirming Korean actors' ability and endeavors. Unlike in 1987, the film "Secret Sunshine" didn’t take an Oriental but a Western theme of salvation as its motif, demonstrating homegrown movies’ potential for global appeal. Most importantly, it came when the film industry is taking a serious downturn.

The 34-year-old actress' passion and dedication to her profession have been well known here. Jeon, nicknamed "chameleon" or an "actress with a thousand faces," has perfectly portrayed her roles, which have ranged from a teenager getting to know a man, a young mother mired in extramarital affairs to an AIDS-stricken hostess. Director Lee Chang-dong’s production which is rich in literary flavor and co-star Song Kang-ho’s ripe performance were also key factors. It was an ideal combination of script, production and acting.

Korea is one of a handful of countries in the world, along with India, Japan and some European countries, that compete with Hollywood. The government's policy support may be strongest only next to France except for its effect and expertise. It has more than 1,000 film production firms, the largest in the world. Young audiences, which constitute the bulk of moviegoers, have even more "Koreanized" tastes than older fans. Provincial cities are active participants, playing host to film festivals.

Why is the domestic industry reeling from a slump _ as shown by less than half of exports from 2006 at Cannes this year _ then? The film industry has been intoxicated with the past-decade’s success for too long. Any industry is bound to fail if costs far outstrip revenues. Production costs and fees for stars skyrocketed while the movies have lost their creativity and fun, alienating fans, both here and abroad. Some directors just copied hit genres, while others were absorbed in art-for-art’s-sake narcissism.

Of course, there was an external factor such as the drastic cut of screen quota system, a mandatory screening of homemade films, yielding to U.S. pressures. But bigger reasons should be found from within, such as poor planning ability that cannot prop up relatively good production and actors’ performance. In short, the industrialists should return to their original aim and determination by expanding the pie first before competing to take a larger slice of the half-grown one. They should reunite to revive "hallyu."

Foreign media praised Jeon for helping to put fresh vigor into the languid Cannes. We hope her acting triumph will provide not only a ray of hope but also a beam of reawakening for the sluggish domestic industry. Jeon reportedly said at a news conference, "Filmmakers do not offer me good scenarios any more." This should be a loud wake-up call for the industry.

Source: The Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opino...5/202_3755.html

May 30, 2007

Jeon Says Her Cannes Win is Near Miracle

By Bae Keun-min

Staff Reporter

070530p18jeonbn0.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon smiles brightly

Wednesday in a press conference in Seoul

as she shows off her Best Actress Award

garnered at the 60th Cannes Film Festival.

"It was like a miracle, I think." So said actress Jeon Do-yeon in reference to her winning the Best Actress Award for her leading role in Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine" at the 60th edition of the Cannes Film Festival at a press conference at CGV Apgujeong in Seoul, Wednesday.

"I've almost been in a state of shock ever since I was named the winner of the prize," Jeon said. "Words cannot express what I feel but let me just say 'I am delighted and honored.' I still cannot believe it."

Although the local and international press predicted the likelihood of her winning after official screenings, Jeon tried not to think about it and kept telling herself that nothing was going to happen, she said. Jeon was praised for her realistic portrayal of a grief-stricken woman who loses her son and husband.

"People there seemed to be surprised that an actress who came to an international festival for the first time won the award," Jeon said. "If it weren't for Song Kang-ho and director Lee Chang-dong, it would have been impossible for me to complete the character, Sin-ae."

Lee said it is impossible to define Jeon as a certain type of actress. "In the film, she successfully expressed emotions that I, the audience or maybe even herself would not expect. She has a wide spectrum in expressing emotions and performing roles," Lee said at the conference, adding he expected either the grand prize or the Best Actress Award.

Song Kang-ho who played the part of Jong-chan, the leading male role in the movie, said he was in awe of her when they performed together. "She was almost 'scary' when I saw her perform," Song said in the conference.

Despite the praises, Jeon first hesitated to take the role. She said that she had already decided to play in the film even before she had read the script mainly because it was Lee's film. But after reading the script, she seriously wondered whether she would be capable of it.

Her efforts paid off with the prize, which has brought her into the international spotlight and some press reports are referring to her as a 'world star.'

However, Jeon is cautious about her new moniker.

"I think it is too early think about being cast in a foreign film. I believe there are a lot of things that I have to do in Korea first," Jeon said. "(English) language is an issue too. But I would love to explore options when a good chance and scenario arises.’’

Jeon is the second Asian actress to win the prize. Hong Kong actress Maggie Cheung took the title for her role in the film "Clean" by French director Olivier Assayas at the 57th Cannes Film Festival in 2004. Cheung was invited as a juror this year.

"I have seen a lot of movies of hers and loved her so much. I was really happy to meet her in person after the closing ceremony. The meeting remains on my mind," 34-year-old Jeon said. "We agreed to hang out in Seoul when she visits."

kenbae@koreatimes.co.kt

Source: The Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2...5/135_3853.html