Jung Ji Hoon * 정지훈 * 鄭智薰 * (aka Rain/Bi / 비 / ピ) I [Upcoming Drama 2024] Red Swan

Nancyzak

[Apr-23-2012] You can meet Rain in the subway.

Credit to Sports Hankook http://news.nate.com/view/20120423n02804

English translation by 화니 - rain-cloud.co.kr/

%EB%B9%84.jpg

%EB%B9%842.jpg

Benamoo and some Japanese fans among Rain's fan cafes installed advertising

signboards on the screen door in the Euljiro 1 & 3-ga subway stations on line#2 in order

to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rain's debut, and the places are always crowded with

his overseas fans coming and going to visit Myung-dong which is nearby.

As the day of his debut approaches, his fans both at home and abroad are often seen

having pictures taken with the signboards in the background.

In addition, it is known that his fans are planning to hold various events.

Not only has Rain become one of Korea’s representative solo singers since he released

hit after hit after his debut at a cable TV music show on 24 April 2002, but he has

achieved global stardom since his world tour.

Even as an actor, Rain's been a success story in several Asian countries since he

appeared in drama "Sangdu, Let's Go To School", "Full House", etc, and he was the first

Korean actor to star in a hollywood film such as Ninja Assassin.

According to one of those close to Rain, "Rain serving in the military was very delighted to

hear the news about the event by his fans."

Rain enlisted last October 11, has served as a PR soldier in Defense Agency for Public

Information Services since last month after serving as a teaching assistant attached to

the 5th Division.

[Overseas Fan]Remember RAIN Diary Notice on purchase method for non group purchase countries/regions

credit : hihikwak - rain-cloud.co.kr/

Hello, this is Rainy Entertainment.

This is to inform you about the purchase method for countries/regions where it is not possible to arrange group purchase of the Remember RAIN Diary. (Group purchase countries/regions are: Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam. For all other countries/regions please check relevant information below.)

*If you want to organize group purchase for your country, please write to rainyent.cloud@gmail.com.

* Remember RAIN Diary purchase method

- order submission period (including payment): 23 April – 5 May 2012

- scheduled delivery date: 14 May 2012

- Diary cost: diary price: per copy + paypal deposit charge + relevant country based delivery charge

If you want to purchase more than 5 copies, please use the delivery charge table in the notice to calculate your correct delivery charge. Eg. For purchase of 30 copies, refer to delivery charge for 5 copies then multiply by 6.

Please refer to the table below for relevant amount (overseas deposit charge included) and please make sure to remit the correct amount.

*If your country is missing in the following table please write to rainyent.cloud@gmail.com to ask for the amount for your country.

(Quantity of diary purchased + paypal deposit charge + country based delivery charge)

* Please make sure to email a copy of your remittance proof after you have made your payment.

* Each individual delivery can contain up to 5 copies of diaries.

[Paypal Information]

Payment by Paypal to daon1231@gmail.com

1335150712.jpg

[Email information after remittance]

* email address for order subscription: rainyent.cloud@gmail.com

* email content:

- Subject: Name of Depositor, Country, Quantity (e.g. Jung Jihoon, China, 2 copies)

- Content: quantity of diary ordered/name of payor/date of payment/name of delivery recipient/address (including zip code)/contact number 1/contact number 2/special notes about delivery (if any)

(Please make sure to provide correct address (including zip code) of the recipient, otherwise additional delivery charge may be incurred after the goods have been delivered. Please pay particular attention to this point.)

Thank you

***Finally................this is no longer tentative. He'll be with PHS, KCM, & other PR soldiers. At least, it's confirmed that he'll perform again. Can't wait for this. :lol:

12-04-23 [Cloud Notice]Rain's performance schedule. (June)

Hi, we're 8the term Cloud executive board.

The head of The External Cooperation Team let me know about Rain's performance

schedule, so I'm trying to share the information with Cloud.

- Date : June 1 (Fri)

- Time : The show is to start at 18:00.

- Rain'll perform 2~3 songs on his own stage / Besides Rain, there'll be other PR

soldiers, a couple of girl groups, etc.)

- Ticket : Admission free

- Flight arrival and departure information about PR soldiers :

June 1 (Fri) : Seoul → Cheju-do,

June 3 (Sun) : Cheju-do → Seoul

According to the head, you should probably buy your air tickets in advance considering

such circumstances where the concert will coincide with the tourist season, that is a time

when a great number of sightseers visit Cheju-do in June in particular.

We hope that those who can participate in the concert will reserve early to assure

yourself of the air tickets, and they will support Rain a lot.

Thank you.

source : http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/b ... _what=&keyword=

Credit : ratoka - RainLegend

anjjo, as I'm looking all these captures you posted, I remember the (2) tracks sang by MBLAQ in this drama. Before I was into K-pop, I was into Korean drama and their OSTs. I think most K-drama watchers are familiar with the OST aspect of dramas. Most actors nowadays also dabble in music & some of them choose to record a song for the OST. But some of the best tracks on a K-drama’s OST are recorded by artists who have nothing to do with the drama itself like this one in Fugitive. The choice of music for each scene in a drama is more than just pretty background music — it’s a strategy to draw us even farther into the drama. Soundtracks practically define a drama. After listening to the OST with English sub, I even end up liking the song more and more. I have so many OST that I like. I can't even keep track on them anymore. As a long-time k-drama viewer, I have a long list and collection of OST's. I really felt that K-OSTs really captured the emotions beautifully whether it was sad or happy moment. The best part was the OST actually helped the story move along. Actually, have you noticed that Asian culture put much more emphasis on OSTs? Not only Drama but K-Variety uses a lot of background tracks, especially Running Man and Invincible Youth now. :lol:

12-04-19 Rain mentholatum

2012-04-19

credit as tagged/ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

#曼秀雷敦男士专业护肤# 不同种类的活炭中,#医药级天然活炭#的附加值远远超过你的传统认识,它的力量不仅仅限于清洁、控油,还具有卓越的杀菌抑菌效果!在使用冰爽活炭洁面乳时,极炭洁净力为你吸走油脂污垢,助你释放像Rain一样清爽的男人味!

*quoted image*

Not only in K-pop but one of the best ways to measure popularity of a celebrity is through CFs, which are advertisements/ads/commercials. Successful advertisements are ones that are eye-catching and effective. For me, this RAIN’s commercial for Mentholatum stood out. What better way to sell cosmetics than have a beautifu & flawless skin like him & a sexy & HOT body with look glamorous as he pouts at the camera? Quite old but I think Anystar/motion/dream with Hyori and Rain were also pretty great. Well, being his fan, I love every single CF of RAIN. :sweatingbullets:

Rain's Fans Celebrate the 10 Year Anniversary of His Debut!

Apr 23, 2012

5a856ace5ea93e0030772dad07eb5ec0_large.jpg

Rain’s fans celebrated the 10 year anniversary of his debut. His fan café “Rain Tree” and also the Japanese fans installed an anniversary advertisement on the screen door in both the Euljiro Entrance and Euljiro-3 subway stations. The two subway stations are located close to Myeongdong in Seoul which is shopping district where foreign fans frequently visit.

5bad5fce6da5e1b2c23639f4b8dfe216_large.jpg

Rain first debuted on April 24 in the year 2002 on a cable music channel. Afterwards he rose to fame with a succession of hit songs “Bad Boy,” “How to Avoid the Sun,” “It’s Raining” and “Rainism.” He also appeared in dramas such as “Full House” or films such as “Ninja Assassin.”

A representative of Rain stated, “Rain heard the news about the fans holding the event and he is very happy.”

Rain began his military service on October 11 of 2011.

Source:soompi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

emoticon-0152-heart.gifCongratulations 10th anniversaryemoticon-0152-heart.gif

c0047605_043424.jpg

cd8f553de236ea68a7871794e30985d7.jpg

credit:as tagged

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Finally................this is no longer tentative. He'll be with PHS, KCM, & other PR soldiers. At least, it's confirmed that he'll perform again. Can't wait for this. :lol:

12-04-23 [Cloud Notice]Rain's performance schedule. (June)

Hi, we're 8the term Cloud executive board.

The head of The External Cooperation Team let me know about Rain's performance

schedule, so I'm trying to share the information with Cloud.

- Date : June 1 (Fri)

- Time : The show is to start at 18:00.

- Rain'll perform 2~3 songs on his own stage / Besides Rain, there'll be other PR

soldiers, a couple of girl groups, etc.)

- Ticket : Admission free

- Flight arrival and departure information about PR soldiers :

June 1 (Fri) : Seoul → Cheju-do,

June 3 (Sun) : Cheju-do → Seoul

According to the head, you should probably buy your air tickets in advance considering

such circumstances where the concert will coincide with the tourist season, that is a time

when a great number of sightseers visit Cheju-do in June in particular.

We hope that those who can participate in the concert will reserve early to assure

yourself of the air tickets, and they will support Rain a lot.

Thank you.

source : http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/b ... _what=&keyword=

Credit : ratoka - RainLegend

willenette, thanks for posting this article. Looks like this is not yet confirmed as can be read from the notice below. I hope this will be resolved earlier for the sake of the foreign fans who are so eager to see Rain perform again - :rolleyes::unsure:

[Rain-Jihoon Notice]Please note that Cheju-do event scheduled for June 1st is yet to be determined

2012-04-23

credit: ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

source

http://rain-jihoon.com/n2/notice_view.php?page=1&No=379&bSeq=567

[English translation]

by화니@rain-cloud.co.kr

[Please note that Cheju-do event scheduled for June 1st is yet to be determined]

Hi, this is Rainy Entertainment.

It is not sure if Rain can participate in 2012 Digital Cable Show to be held in Cheju-do's Convention Center in June 1st, so please take extra care.

You are asked to refrain from booking your air tickets and having hotel reservations until an official announcement about the determination whether he will attend.

(We'll notify you here as soon as we confirm whether he will attend)

Thank you.

[2012-04-23]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So we can expect more news from Appa Jung again. :D Hope he will no longer be sentimental as before. :lol:

[Pic]12-04-23 Rain dad new twitter profit picture

Posted by memo-rain on April 23, 2012

RAINDAD.jpg

c0047605_18131914.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[info] The rumor that PR soldiers will support an outside fashion show

has turned out false.

2012-04-23

credit:화니@rain-cloud.co.kr

국방부 트위터 대변인 약 3시간 전 홍보지원대원의 외부 패션행사 지원은 전혀 사실이 아닙니다. 착오없으시길 바랍니다.

Please note that the rumor that PR soldiers will support an outside fashion show that is

unrelated to Defense Agency for Public Information Services, couldn't be further from the

truth.

(**Reference : # 8150 in 소식이야기 section of this site.)

Source : http://twtkr.olleh.com/ROK_MND

Englsih translation by 화니.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Eng Trans] 12-04-23 Rok-MND Tweet_The rumor that PR soldiers will support an outside fashion show has turned out false.

* Posted by ratoka on April 23, 2012

81.png

Apr 23, 2012

*quoted image*

Rain’s fans celebrated the 10 year anniversary of his debut. His fan café “Rain Tree” and also the Japanese fans installed an anniversary advertisement on the screen door in both the Euljiro Entrance and Euljiro-3 subway stations. The two subway stations are located close to Myeongdong in Seoul which is shopping district where foreign fans frequently visit.

*quoted image*

Rain first debuted on April 24 in the year 2002 on a cable music channel. Afterwards he rose to fame with a succession of hit songs “Bad Boy,” “How to Avoid the Sun,” “It’s Raining” and “Rainism.” He also appeared in dramas such as “Full House” or films such as “Ninja Assassin.”

A representative of Rain stated, “Rain heard the news about the fans holding the event and he is very happy.”

Rain began his military service on October 11 of 2011.

Source:soompi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*quoted image*Congratulations 10th anniversary*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

credit:as tagged

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

willenette, thanks for posting this article. Looks like this is not yet confirmed as can be read from the notice below. I hope this will be resolved earlier for the sake of the foreign fans who are so eager to see Rain perform again - :rolleyes::unsure:

[Rain-Jihoon Notice]Please note that Cheju-do event scheduled for June 1st is yet to be determined

2012-04-23

source

http://rain-jihoon.com/n2/notice_view.php?page=1&No=379&bSeq=567

[English translation]

by화니@rain-cloud.co.kr

[Please note that Cheju-do event scheduled for June 1st is yet to be determined]

Hi, this is Rainy Entertainment.

It is not sure if Rain can participate in 2012 Digital Cable Show to be held in Cheju-do's Convention Center in June 1st, so please take extra care.

You are asked to refrain from booking your air tickets and having hotel reservations until an official announcement about the determination whether he will attend.

(We'll notify you here as soon as we confirm whether he will attend)

Thank you.

[2012-04-23]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So we can expect more news from Appa Jung again. :D Hope he will no longer be sentimental as before. :lol:

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Hi anjjo, TODAY is RAIN's debut.....April 24................Happy 10th anniversary, RAIN! I hope you all the best. Clouds are awesome! Chukkae, Clouds! :lol:

Ye, dear so sad if this won't be confirmed. Wait & see............ <_<

Oh, thanks for posting this photo of Papa Jung. He looks so great. I hope we could get to hear from him again soon. :lol:

12-04-24 Rain @ newspaper ad celebrating the 10th anniversary of his debut

source : rainyent @ twitter / ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

[비 데뷔 10주년 축하 신문광고] 비 공식 팬클럽 구름 감사합니다. 지금처럼 영원히 함께해요^^ http://pic.twitter.com/VIyPLkwf

ArNYpJGCQAAxTeb.jpg

[Eng Trans]12-04-21 KTV - Special Day of Disabled people

2012-04-21

12-04-21 KTV - Special Day of Disabled people "So I Love you, I Love You Though"_Edit Rain Part

Credit : ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7mBicCX_4

*quoted image*

[English translation]

by 화니 @rain-cloud.co.kr

[A variety of events were held to celebrate National Disabled Persons Day]

- Rain part -

0:21~37

Rain : Loyalty ! This is pfc "Jung Ji Hoon" attached to Defense Agency for Public Information Services.

I think it's finally time for us to set aside our prejudice and learn to accept the disabled as common people like ourselves.

Don't you think it will be even cooler if we can live in a world where both able-bodied and disabled people are treated equally?

I hope you will treat the disabled no differently from anyone else.

Everyone, I love you.

5:11~5:15

Rain ; If you do wrong, you may get an injection.

Will you get an injection later? Will you do so?

[2012-04-21]

anjjo, thanks for sharing this video. As RAIN is in the military for quite a while now, I seem to get used to him wearing a military uniform already. Actually, even in this green fatigue he could pull this off.........K-soldiers are most often seen wearing a mix of olive green or tan uniforms. The basic dress uniform consists of a tunic and pants; but female soldiers wear skirts & sometimes they also wear pants. But I heard that S.Korea recently update their uniform texture. :sweatingbullets:

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Although, we hardly see Hana but at least we got a chance to see once in a while where RAIN inherited his good looks from – hehehe. Papa Jung has youthful looks and defined facial features up to now. His Dad is so healthy and well. :lol:

11-08-00 Mnet JP - MnetxK☆女性自身_Talk about Rain

credit : momorumii / ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

My link

ArNYpJGCQAAxTeb%281%29.jpg

Hey guys, I really missed you and this forum! Unfortunately, I just don't have find the time to be here more often. Just when I think, it will get better, it gets worse.

Anyway, thank you sooo much for all your effort and hard work, especially you anjjo, willenette and jinijung.

anjjo Although, we hardly see Hana but at least we got a chance to see once in a while where RAIN inherited his good looks from – hehehe. Papa Jung has youthful looks and defined facial features up to now. His Dad is so healthy and well. :lol:

Hey guys, I really missed you and this forum! Unfortunately, I just don't have find the time to be here more often. Just when I think, it will get better, it gets worse.

Anyway, thank you sooo much for all your effort and hard work, especially you anjjo, willenette and jinijung.

willenette, I feel so glad to see that latest pic of Rain's dad, yes, he looks young and vigorous for his age, I think if I am not mistaken, he is already in his late fifties and maybe now, he no longer misses his son intensely as before. Like him, we are all now adjusted but still patiently waiting for his return. Some acquaintances of Rain's late mother who were interviewed then said that she was such a beautiful woman, and we can now see what a beautiful offspring Rain's parents had produced in him. :lol:

bbly, as long as you are here, posting whenever you can, it's okay and I am happy for you, knowing that you are safe. We know that you are trying your best. As Rain will tell you: Fighting! Fighting! :lol: Do take care. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-04-24 [Cloud Notice]An ad celebrating the 10th anniversary of Rain's debut runs in today's Kyunghyang Newspaper)

* Posted by ratoka on April 24, 2012

1.jpg

Hi, we're 8th term Cloud executive board.

I'm pleased to inform you that the home delivery of newspapers with ads to celebrate

the 10th anniversary of Rain's debut has been completed.

The newspapers for overseas fans were supposed to be delivered at 7am, on April 24th,

but since I needed them sooner than the newspaper office (Kyunghyang Newspaper)

could deliver them, the delivery was completed at around 1:10am on the same day.

There is an ad to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rain's debut on the 7th page of

Kyunghyang Newspaper, and what mentioned in the ad is about his history and his fans'

congratulations to him. Please understand that the photo is not very sharp.

* 전체면입니다. 깔끔하게 잘 나온것 같습니다.

His photo is splashed across the page. I think that's the best ad I've seen in a long time.

*구름분들의 멋진 의견으로 나온 축하문구입니다.

Your congratulations to him are seen.

*아티스트의 히스토리를 읽는 재미도 쏠쏠하네요.

It feels terrific to be reading his history.

*더 많은 히스토리들이 있지만, 다 넣지 못한 점 이해부탁드려요.

Due to the restrictions on word count, there was no choice but to give a brief introduction

of him despite his resume being very thorough. Please understand that.

*디자인 서포트 해주신 분들 덕분에 멋지게 나온 것 같습니다.

I think the ad has come out very well, thanks to all of you including the supporters who

helped to design it.

I hope you'll be happy with the ad.

Once again, thank you very much for the help.

source : http://www.rain-cloud.co.kr/common/board/content.asp?ref=4651&b...=

3.jpg?width=750

4.jpg

2.jpg?width=750

Trending for RAIN 10th Debut Anniversary

2012-04-24

credit: NovemberRain@rain-cloud.co.kr

Dear Cloud sisters,

Like last year, we are planning to do a Trending for RAIN to celebrate his Debut Anniversary again.

This year topic will be #aDecadeWithRAIN

The link for world clock is broken, so please refer to the screencap to find your local time.

Hope Clouds from around the world can participate and make this World Trend for celebrating

RAIN 10th Debut Anniversary

Thank you ^^

Here is the complete announcement:

Source: @CloudUnite http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h45bni

ANNOUNCEMENT!! Taking into account others opinions & suggestions, the trending for Rain will begin at 10 p.m. KST rather than 11 p.m.

TREND TIME: April 28, 2012 from 10 p.m. to midnight KST

TREND: #aDecadeWithRAIN

Beginning at 10 p.m. will celebrate #Rain's 10th anniversary ^__^

Find your start time: http://www.timeanddate.com/world ... amp;p1=235&ah=2

Please share this information at Cloud forums, group facebooks, etc. Would also appreciate and welcome A+ in joining us in celebrating #Rain's 10th anniversary.

THANK YOU! RT

28qwa3o.jpg

Hi bbly, I couldn't agree more with what anjjo said - as long as we see you from time to time although not that often here, it's fine.....Just stay safe all the time! :D

*** I remember when I first became Rain's fan in the year 2004. He's come too far. #waitingForRain patiently. Can’t wait for his comeback. I can't wait to see him to perform. I can’t wait to see Rain out from military! July 2013 – please come soon. Everything in Kpop should be before and after Rain... I wish he’s here to enjoy his 10th anniversary. Awww... Clouds are so touching. Clouds will always stay by your side. Clouds are so nice to do this for him every year. I wish him the best! :lol:

Fans celebrate Rain’s 10th anniversary with a subway advertisement

htm_20120424112028c010c011.jpg

A congratulatory plaque was put up in the subway stations, celebrating singer Rain‘s 10th anniversary.

Rain (Jung Ji Hoon) who is currently enlisted in the military, debuted on April 24th, 2002 through a cable channel music program. Afterwards, he released his first formal album ‘Rain‘ to officially kick off his promotions as an artist.

Once he established himself as a singer, Rain also tried his hand at acting in both dramas and films alike. He received praise for his roles in Korean dramas ‘Sang Doo! Let’s Go To School‘ and ‘Full House‘. He was even offered a role in Hollywood project ‘Speed Racer‘ and later starred in ‘Ninja Assassin‘, being labeled a ‘World Star’ by fans all over the world.

To celebrate his ten years in the industry, his fans put up an advertisement on the front of a screen door in a busy subway station in Seoul. “Rain, congratulations on your ten year anniversary,” it read, also written in Japanese for his Japanese fans.

The advertisement will be up for another month, and fans remarked that with the ad, they would be able to “rain down on Rain when he exhausts himself in the military,” and “We hope that he will feel proud after seeing our efforts.”

In related news, Rain enlisted in the military on October 11th of last year, he is scheduled to be discharged around July of 2013.

Source & Image: IlganSports via Naver / allkpop

12-04-22 KBS - Gag Concert_Mention Rain

Credit : ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

My link

or watch video here

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqc59d_120422-mention-rain_shortfilms

ArNYpJGCQAAxTeb%282%29.jpg

***Ye, I saw the one for Lee Min Ho before..... :lol:

Rain a Dream Celebrity Wedding groom on fashion community Polyvore.

credit : Stephe - rain-cloud.co.kr/

-- Written by Stephe @CloudUSA

There is a contest going on over on Polyvore, the Internet's largest fashion community. Their vast landscape of members have been creating and posting dream wedding sets that detail their "big event" from the celebrity groom to the shoes. We don't know what the prize is, if any, but this sure looks like some serious fun!

A Rain/Nature Republic collage is featured in Polyvore's post, and why not? He's the ultimate dream groom if there ever was one, isn't he? Bravo. We certainly approve. :) Thanks for the tip on this, Pinkfashionninja! (http://pinkfashionninja.blogspot.com/)

polyvore-dream-wedding1_cusa.jpg

This from Polyvore's About Page:

Polyvore is the web's largest fashion community site, where users are empowered to discover their style and set trends around the world. With over 15 million monthly unique visitors, Polyvore's global community has created over 44 million sets that are shared across the web. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Polyvore is funded by Benchmark Capital, Matrix Partners, DAG Ventures, Goldman Sachs, and Vivi Nevo (NV Investments).

You can take a gander at the top wedding fashion items and the celebrity groom with the most views, the most likes, and the most comments. Brad Pitt and Harry Styles are all over the place. I even spotted one for Lee Minho! And another one for Minho is HERE. :) http://www.polyvore.com/will_you_marry_me/set?id=47628792

The feature collage with Rain appears to have been fashioned by Polyvore themselves. I ran across an actual Rain groom set by member Zulle. (http://www.polyvore.com/zulle/set?id=47665903) There are close to 2000 entries, so this might not be the only one referencing Rain. If it is, it's a beautiful one. Nice and classy.

(Image credit: Zulle @polyvore)

polyvore-dream-wedding4_zulle_cusa.jpg

(Image credit: Polyvore.com)

l.jpg

There are two days left in the contest. Let us know if any of you fashion mavens out there give it a go, okay?

Nicely done, Polyvore.

-- Stephe @cloudusa.wordpress.com

***I also like LBH and JDG. I'd be really happy to see them become successful in America. In fact, I watched the first GI Joe solely for LBH. Jackie Chan and Jet Li are pretty successful, also Bruce Lee. Watching action movies is not common for me but since NA is RAIN's movie I did. Some actors are typecast into certain roles, maybe because it's where they are most believable. I think it's a shame that good actors sometimes end up in the same role just because they want to succeed in Hollywood... :lol:

From East to West: Korean Actors in Hollywood

Lately, the impact of the Hallyu in the West seems to be measured according to the success of K-pop: will the Wonder Girls finally make it big in the US? Is the appearance of SNSD on David Letterman’s show a big step for Hallyu? But sometimes it’s good to remember that there’s something else in the Hallyu besides K-pop, and that even before most of the now active K-pop groups even debuted, Korean actors were already trying to make their way to Hollywood.

Korean film started to gain international recognition in the beginning of the 2000s, and it was only natural that Korean film stars used this fact to try to get into Hollywood. Korean actors didn’t make their acts until the late 2000s, however, so there’s not much perspective when talking about them being typecasted or how big they can eventually make it in Hollywood. There is however a precedent that can be used to guess what could probably happen with Korean actors in some years: take Hong Kong actors and their impact in Hollywood during the 1990s, specifically someone like Chow Yun Fat.

Chow Yun Fat was an action film star in Hong Kong when Hong Kong action movies were at their best, so he made his ‘debut’ in Hollywood through action movies. Before becoming an action star and heading to Hollywood, Chow had however made a good amount of comedies and romantic dramas and had good reputation as an actor. But his Hollywood debut was something different; his first two movies, The Replacement Killers (1998) and The Corrupter (1999) were more like attempts of translating Hong Kong action movies to the US audience and were…let’s say not as successful as expected. After that, Chow’s roles in Hollywood were reduced to a series of stereotypical Asian characters of all kinds, from Tibetan monks to Chinese pirates (and then we have Dragon Ball, of course). And when’s the last time you saw Chow in a major film lately?

rain-ninja-assassin-300x199.jpg

Korean cases are not quite the same, because Rain‘s Ninja Assassin and Lee Byun-hun‘s G.I. Joe did fairly well in the box office (not so much Jang Dong-gun‘s The Warrior’s Way, though). Maybe Hollywood learned from previous experiences that it was easier to put a foreign actor into the Hollywood system than trying to reproduce his context, or maybe the case is different because the actors themselves are different.

But taking a look at the Korean actors’ roles themselves, they don’t seem to differ too much from Chow’s last roles. Casting Asians in a Hollywood movie is incredibly formulaic. Take an Asian superstar, good-looking, no need for him to be a martial arts expert because that’s what stunts are for, write the typical action movie script, now turn all the main characters into ninjas, add a known western actor somewhere (Geoffrey Rush will do!), and call it something like Ninja Assassin.

If the title is graphic enough and the trailer violent enough, you can draw all the action fans to the cinema without the need of a star. And you will also draw a huge amount of people from somewhere on the other side of the globe because, well, the random Asian guy you hired is a superstar there. They could easily hire an Asian American for the same role, but if you hire an actor who is already a star somewhere, you are pretty much securing a good box office record there. Korean actors, as Hong Kong actors before, are not only famous in Korea: they have a huge impact in other Asian countries, especially in South East Asia.

But do I see Korean actors getting offered a wider range of roles or basically roles that don’t necessarily imply Asian stereotypes? Honestly, I don’t. It sadly didn’t happen with Chow Yun Fat, and I hardly see it happening with Lee Byung-hun.

There is also the question of whether this intrusion in Hollywood will somehow lead Hallyu in the West. Let me be negative once again and point that Rain has actually played Japanese characters in the two Hollywood movies he has done so far; Ninja Assassin had a mixture of Korean, American, Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese actors, all of them playing Japanese. Jang Dong-gun’s character in The Warrior’s Way goes by the name of Yang, which in my opinion is one of those names writers give to Asian characters when they don’t really want to define their origin (Chinese? Korean? Are those ninjas?).

Do Korean actors always have to play Korean characters? Of course not. But in terms of expanding Hallyu in the West, Korean actors playing stereotypical Asian roles doesn’t seem to me as such a big impulse. Korea is still relatively unknown as a cultural exporter in the West as compared to countries such as China and Japan, so when a western spectator watches a movie like Ninja Assasin, will it ever cross his or her mind that the main actor is Korean? Probably not. And let’s face it, most of them won’t Google Rain’s name after watching it. It still means Korean representation in a large cultural center like Hollywood, but I’m not sure it will be able to connect to other aspects of Hallyu.

Recently, however, an individual poster of Lee Byung-hun’s character in G.I. Joe 2 was released, and this time you can really see his face there (and more than that, actually). And when you go into the movie’s official website, the right upper corner reads literally “Byung-hun Lee with Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson.” If this is not a signal, then I don’t know what it is.

Now I can only pray for Lee Byun-hun’s Hollywood career. May your next role not be a ninja killer.

(Osen, G.I. Joe’s official website) /seoulbeats

***I feel happy every time I get to see RAIN's CF even now that he's currently serving his MS. The same thing that every time I see Lotte pictures I remember the Lotte MV song he had done together with other stars like SSH, JS, & more. If there's an OST from a drama/movie there's also such thing as a CF song. This song as well should get stuck in your head, for you to remember the commercial all the time, and maybe even persuading you to buy the product. There are some CF songs that truly do stand out. That’s why, I love his Lotte Duty Free CF. :sweatingbullets:

120425 Rain coupang new banner

credit : coupang // cap by ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

ArNYpJGCQAAxTeb%283%29.jpg

photo

Fanart - Rain's wallpaper

2012-04-26

credit :http://rain-fanart.blogspot.com/ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

a1%281%29.jpg

a2%281%29.jpg

a3%281%29.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

[04-26] 12-04-24 SBS - Storng Heart_Lee joon Mention Rain

12-04-24 SBS - Storng Heart_Lee joon Mention Rain

Credit : ratoka@Rain Legend

WATCH VIDEO HERE

http://www.dailymotion.com/video ... ion-rain_shortfilms

OR WATCH VIDEO HERE

http://memo-rain.ning.com/video/120424-mention-rain-2

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[04-25] 12-04-14 SBS - Gag Tonight_Mention Rain

12-04-14 SBS - Gag Tonight_Mention Rain

credit : ratoka@Rain Legend

watch video here

or watch video here

http://memo-rain.ning.com/video/120414-mention-rain

WATCH VIDEO HERE

OR WATCH VIDEO HERE

Hi anjjo, thanks for sharing this video. I didn't know that LJ will be appearing in LDW's show.......I could have been monitored this EP. Wondering what did he say about RAIN, huh? :lol:

12-04-19 Rain mentholatum

2012-04-19

credit as tagged/ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

#曼秀雷敦男士专业护肤# 不同种类的活炭中,#医药级天然活炭#的附加值远远超过你的传统认识,它的力量不仅仅限于清洁、控油,还具有卓越的杀菌抑菌效果!在使用冰爽活炭洁面乳时,极炭洁净力为你吸走油脂污垢,助你释放像Rain一样清爽的男人味!

*quoted image*

anjjo, I was told that Mentholatum changed the packaging..........I'm sure this product has been in good hands since RAIN launched it. This is the reason maybe why they made the logo bigger & the name of the product also bigger. If only there’s’ Mentholatum here in our side surely I’d try this product although it’s from China. You see, I love Korean makeup & skincare. I've always loved the stuff. In Korea, I love Skin Food, The Face Shop & Etude House. (make-up for TFS/skincare for SF & EH) So sad that NR is already available here when RAIN is no longer the endorser. I should have tried this one as well. :lol:

12-04-24 [Cloud Notice]An ad celebrating the 10th anniversary of Rain's debut runs in today's Kyunghyang Newspaper)

* Posted by ratoka on April 24, 2012

*quoted image*

Hi, we're 8th term Cloud executive board.

I'm pleased to inform you that the home delivery of newspapers with ads to celebrate

the 10th anniversary of Rain's debut has been completed.

The newspapers for overseas fans were supposed to be delivered at 7am, on April 24th,

but since I needed them sooner than the newspaper office (Kyunghyang Newspaper)

could deliver them, the delivery was completed at around 1:10am on the same day.

There is an ad to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rain's debut on the 7th page of

Kyunghyang Newspaper, and what mentioned in the ad is about his history and his fans'

congratulations to him. Please understand that the photo is not very sharp.

* 전체면입니다. 깔끔하게 잘 나온것 같습니다.

His photo is splashed across the page. I think that's the best ad I've seen in a long time.

*구름분들의 멋진 의견으로 나온 축하문구입니다.

Your congratulations to him are seen.

*아티스트의 히스토리를 읽는 재미도 쏠쏠하네요.

It feels terrific to be reading his history.

*더 많은 히스토리들이 있지만, 다 넣지 못한 점 이해부탁드려요.

Due to the restrictions on word count, there was no choice but to give a brief introduction

of him despite his resume being very thorough. Please understand that.

*디자인 서포트 해주신 분들 덕분에 멋지게 나온 것 같습니다.

I think the ad has come out very well, thanks to all of you including the supporters who

helped to design it.

I hope you'll be happy with the ad.

Once again, thank you very much for the help.

source : http://www.rain-cloud.co.kr/common/board/content.asp?ref=4651&b...=

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Trending for RAIN 10th Debut Anniversary

2012-04-24

credit: NovemberRain@rain-cloud.co.kr

Dear Cloud sisters,

Like last year, we are planning to do a Trending for RAIN to celebrate his Debut Anniversary again.

This year topic will be #aDecadeWithRAIN

The link for world clock is broken, so please refer to the screencap to find your local time.

Hope Clouds from around the world can participate and make this World Trend for celebrating

RAIN 10th Debut Anniversary

Thank you ^^

Here is the complete announcement:

Source: @CloudUnite http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h45bni

ANNOUNCEMENT!! Taking into account others opinions & suggestions, the trending for Rain will begin at 10 p.m. KST rather than 11 p.m.

TREND TIME: April 28, 2012 from 10 p.m. to midnight KST

TREND: #aDecadeWithRAIN

Beginning at 10 p.m. will celebrate #Rain's 10th anniversary ^__^

Find your start time: http://www.timeanddate.com/world ... amp;p1=235&ah=2

Please share this information at Cloud forums, group facebooks, etc. Would also appreciate and welcome A+ in joining us in celebrating #Rain's 10th anniversary.

THANK YOU! RT

*quoted image*

I'm so proud of Clouds! Organizing events big or small is no easy task. :D

WATCH VIDEO HERE

OR WATCH VIDEO HERE

LJ is a bit weird sometimes but in the cutest way. For sure in this video he was asked about his beautiful & toned body now. For sure he’s talking about the secret to his beautiful body. I remember he said before that every time he is working out he’s holding 10kg weights on both sides. :lol:

12-03-23 Fancam - Rain in Incheon International Airport

cedit : vivianbi625 / ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

My link

all%281%29.JPG

12-04-26 KFN - 군대재발견_Rain

Credit : ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

My link

part 2

My link

cr-ratoka-RainLegend

12-04-26 Rain Coupang event

source : coupang // cap by ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

coupang%281%29.jpg

bbly, as long as you are here, posting whenever you can, it's okay and I am happy for you, knowing that you are safe. We know that you are trying your best. As Rain will tell you: Fighting! Fighting! :lol: Do take care. :D

Hi bbly, I couldn't agree more with what anjjo said - as long as we see you from time to time although not that often here, it's fine.....Just stay safe all the time! :D

You guys are toooooo nice to me, thank you sooo much for your sweet words. blush.gif

***I also like LBH and JDG. I'd be really happy to see them become successful in America. In fact, I watched the first GI Joe solely for LBH. Jackie Chan and Jet Li are pretty successful, also Bruce Lee. Watching action movies is not common for me but since NA is RAIN's movie I did. Some actors are typecast into certain roles, maybe because it's where they are most believable. I think it's a shame that good actors sometimes end up in the same role just because they want to succeed in Hollywood... :lol:

From East to West: Korean Actors in Hollywood

You know, I am really curious about what Rain will do after his duty, and if the movie project with Richard Gere will really happen.

photo

Fanart - Rain's wallpaper

2012-04-26

credit :http://rain-fanart.blogspot.com/ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Those are very nice wallpapers! Thank you for sharing.

12-04-26 Rain with mayor of Gangnam-gu

source : nate news

1%289%29.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBLAQ’s Lee Jun is an ‘action idol’

April 26, 2012

12060_15636_5230.jpg

MBLAQ’s Lee Jun was recently praised for his performance in an action scene.

In the April 29 episode of MBC’s Our Sunday Night-Man’s Heart Woman’s Heart, Lee said he will perform Hollywood action. Since Lee appeared on the movie Ninja Assassin and played the role of a young Rain, he has become an action hopeful.

Lee showed basic action skills first. He stretched his legs 180 degrees apart and kicked his legs high in the air and drew a lot of attention. Jung Joon Ha didn’t want to learn from Lee and made people laugh out loud by saying, “That’s not Korean style.”

Lee also showed off a three step spinning kick, which is hard to achieve. He turned high in the air while hanging on the wires. Shin Bong Sun praised him by saying, “Lee is an ace.” Jung envied Lee and also praised him by saying, “He is like a crow.”

Lee’s splendid actions will air on the show on April 29 at 5:00 p.m.

* Source: Star Daily News//en.korea.com

------------------------------------------------------------------

Rain in A Love To Kill coming to KBS World.

2012-04-27

-- Written by Stephe ^@@^rain-cloud.co.kr

KBS World, the KBS TV affiliate that airs on local cable and satellite TV channels all over the world, and here in the U.S. with English subtitled programs, is spreading the word on their Facebook, their Twitter, their website, and on their YouTube Channel. They will begin airing one of Rain's most memorable series, revenge drama A Love To Kill (2005) co-starring Shin MinAh, in less than two weeks!

As you may recall, "Kang BokGu" was the role that snuck up on us, that showed the incredible range that Rain truly had onscreen and literally made his acting career turn a corner. The tragic K-fighter was a whole other animal that, quite frankly, scared the crap out of you. You never knew what he was going to pull on you next.

And even after he cleaned himself up, his intensity was such that Rain was nowhere to be found. He looked like him, but he didn't look like him. At all. The depths of Rain's acting chops runs deep.

The first episode of A Love To Kill will broadcast on KBS World on May 7th. As of this posting, air times for each of the sixteen 70-minute episodes will be Monday through Thursday at 4:20 pm KST. Do check your local TV guides, and keep in mind that this is subject to last minute changes.

Don't miss it!

— Stephe @cloudusa.wordpress.com

Preview video:

00ef2c9b-s.jpg

6b743636.jpg

88e97a76-s.jpg

f40fd0c8-s.jpg

b1ff15ea-s.jpg

You guys are toooooo nice to me, thank you sooo much for your sweet words. blush.gif

You know, I am really curious about what Rain will do after his duty, and if the movie project with Richard Gere will really happen.

Those are very nice wallpapers! Thank you for sharing.

Hi bbly, I just hope when he gets out from the military next year he'll do a drama first before any Hollywood projects. He's been away for almost (2) years & I want that his comeback project will be in Korea & not in some other countries. :)

12-04-26 Rain with mayor of Gangnam-gu

source : nate news

*quoted image*

anjjo, thanks for posting this picture with the Gangnam Mayor. This is what the photo is all about. :sweatingbullets:

[Apr-27-2012]Gangnam District in Seoul gives singer Rain a plaque of appreciation.

Credit to Yeonhap News http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Basic/article/ArticlePhoto/YIBW_showArticlePhotoPopup.aspx?contents_id=PYH20120426078900013

English translation by 화니 - rain-cloud.co.kr/

PYH2012042607890001301_P2.jpg

Rain & 'Shin Yeon Hee', the head of Gangnam District.

Shin Yeon Hee', the head of Gangnam District, visited the 5th Division as an army

chaplain located in Gyeonggi-do's Yeonchungun on the 26th and gave a plaque of

appreciation to Bi (Rain) for his contributions to the elevation of the brand value of

Gangnam District , as well as to the attraction of tourists by promoting a positive image of

the district to foreigners and local people.