Jung Ji Hoon * 정지훈 * 鄭智薰 * (aka Rain/Bi / 비 / ピ) I [Upcoming Drama 2024] Red Swan

Nancyzak

12-03-09 Rain Coupang event

source : coupang fb / ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

coupang2222.jpg

coupang1111.jpg

12-03-08 [Cloud Notice ] Please not to be fooled by websites and Social Networking Services impersonating Rain and the real official Cloud fan club site.

Hi, we're 8th term Cloud executive board.

Recently, impersonating the real official Cloud fan club, Bi (Rain), and Jung Ji Hoon at

Social Networking Services, has occurred frequently.

From Rainy Entertainment last 6th, we received a message saying that the fact

that the company set up a rainofficialfanclub website at Facebook is not true

at all. The company warned not to be fooled by such a website cheating Rain's

fans, via http://rain-jihoon.com last 7th. Please refer to its contents for

details.

Please report all suspected fraud (website or Social Networking Service, etc) to

rain-cloud.co.kr (备抚啊垫茄规 section) by writing comments below.

And, we'll let you know later about an issue on whether official Cloud fan club's new

website will be opened at Twitter and Face Book, through a notice.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[We caution you not to be deceived by a homepage created on Face Book,

which impersonates Rain's official fan club site.]

Hi, we're Rainy Entertainment.

We're to inform you that the current official Cloud fan club homepage created at

Face Book is posing as the real official Cloud fan club site.

The homepage on Face Book is not related to the official Cloud fan club, Rain, and

Rainy Entertainment at all.

If you find any Rain fan pages impersonating the real official Cloud fan club or Rain or

Rainy Entertainment, please let 8th term Cloud executive board or Rainy Entertainment

know.

http://rain-jihoon.com/n2/notice ... No=355&bSeq=526

source : http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/b ... _what=&keyword=

Credit : ratoka - RainLegend

12-03-08 [Cloud Notice]★Please forward your handwritten letters (to Rain) to this address★

Hi, we're 8th term Cloud executive board.

Rain's address has been changed due to his change of assignment, and it is said he'll

serve in Defense Agency for Public Information Services beginning around March 13th.

l Please send him your letters and personal gifts after March 13th in order to let them

reach him in good order.

- His changed address -

서울시 용산구 두텁바위로 54-99

국방홍보원 홍보지원대 대외협력팀

일병 정지훈

우편번호 : 140-833

To PFC "Jung Ji Hoon"(Rain)

The external cooperation team in a support group attached to

Defense Agency for Public Information Services.

Duteopbawi-ro 54-99, Youngsan-gu, zip code : 140-833

Seoul, South Korea.

Thank you.

source : http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/b ... _what=&keyword=

Credit : ratoka - RainLegend

and his unforgettable kissing scenes in Ijuksa :wub:

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

anjjo, Ijuksa was such a deep and hard character yet he played it so well. :sweatingbullets:

[Eng.trans] A little anecdote about what happened in a communal bath

for military soldiers.

2012-03-03

*quoted image*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend serves at the same division as Rain, but they don't get assigned to the same

unit.

According to my friend, when he was trained in a recruit training center the last time, he

found Rain there.

Rain and he were trained in different places, but they took bathes in the same communal

bath. Coincidently, my friend washed himself all over right beside Rain.

Just then, Rain asked my friend to scrub off the dead skin on his (Rain's) back

and my friend did Rain a big favor.

Everywhere he went, my friend bragged about what he'd had a conversation with Rain

while scrubbing off the dead skin on Rain's back.

When my friend was even very loquacious about Rain's gorgeous body as if he rang his

own bell, I advised him, "Just do well yourself!"

Creidt to DC @ http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=rain&no=321388&page=1&bbs=

English translation by 화니@rain-cloud.co.kr

*quoted image*

anjjo, I’m happy each time I hear about him. :lol:

Hahahaha, no matter what, our Rain is a tall guy!

bbly, he's a "giraffe" so he's kinda hard to miss in a crowd. He's shining. :lol:

CJ summer blockbuster movie

No 3. Soar Into The Sun

http://mlbpark.donga.com/mbs/articleV.php?mbsC=bullpen&mbsIdx=631289&cpage=1&mbsW=&select=&opt=&keyword=

*quoted image*

감독 : 김동원 (투사부일체, 유감스러운 도시)

출연 : 정지훈, 신세경, 유준상, 김성수, 이하나, 오달수, 정석원

장르 : 액션

작품컨셉 : '탑건' 스타일의 항공 액션 블록버스터.

제작비 : 120억

시놉시스 : 대한민국 최고의 전투조종사들로 구성된 특수 비행팀 '블랙이글스'의 최연소 조종사 태훈은 천재적 비행실력 못지 않은 타고난 장난기와 호기심으로 온갖 소동을 몰고 다니는 문제아. 어느 날 고난도 비행을 시도하던 중 순식간에 에어쇼를 난장판으로 만든 그는 결국 블랙이글스에서 퇴출당한다. 그 후 친형처럼 의지하던 대서가 편대장으로 있는 21전투비행단에 오게 된 태훈은 동기생 유진과 후배 석현을 만나 차츰 적응해 나간다. 하지만 비행단내 '탑건'으로 불리우는 원칙주의자 철희와 사사건건 부딪히게 되고, 태훈은 철희와의 비행 대결을 앞두고 정비대대 최고의 에이스 세영에게 도움을 청한다. 그러던 어느 날 여의도 상공에 정체 모를 전투기가 출현했다는 공습 경보가 발령되고, 태훈, 유진, 대서, 석현은 출격을 준비하는데...

개봉시기 예상과 흥행전망 : 한국 극장가의 최대 대목인 7월에 개봉할 가능성이 높음. 그러나 만약 7월 개봉한다면 그건 이 영화에 대한 기대감 때문이 아니라 '버리는 카드'라는 의미가 큼. 왜냐하면 7월에 2012년 할리우드 최대 대작인 '다크나이트 라이즈'와 한국영화 최대 기대작인 쇼박스의 '도둑들'이 개봉하는데 CJ가 가지고 있는 여름 라인업 중에서는 이 두 작품을 이길만한게 없음. 그나마 '타워'가 가능성이 있지만 그래도 승산은 낮음. 어차피 질 거라면 논개 작전으로 더 기대가 안되는 작품을 내놓은 가능성이 크고 그게 '비상 태양가까이'임. 본래 '비상 태양가까이'는 올해 설연휴 대목에 개봉할 예정이었으나 어떤 사정으로(표면적으로는 '마이웨이'가 설연휴까지 장기흥행하면 서로 겹치니까 라는 이유였음. 마이웨이가 장기흥행은 커녕 한두주만에 폭망했으니 완전히 무의미한 사유였지만.) 계속 개봉이 연기되다가 결국 여름 라인업으로 확정됨. 이러한 개봉 연기는 영화에 대한 자신감이 없다는 정황으로도 해석될 여지가 있음. 아무튼 현재로서는 7월에 개봉한다면 아무리 CJ의 배급공세가 있어도 '다크나이트 라이즈', '도둑들'을 상대로 전혀 승산이 없는게 확실한 상황. 물론, CJ가 이 영화를 8월에 내놓고 7월에는 '타워'로 다크나이트 라이즈', '도둑들'과 정면 승부에 나설 가능성이 있음.(CJ가 7월 내놓는 작품이 '비상 태양가까이'라면 7월은 포기한다는 의미고 '타워'라면 한번 승부해보겠다는 의미로 해석 가능함.)

jini, the plot of this movie sounds interesting. He showcases his best work in action so I cannot wait to see his new movie. He has gotten better over the years… :lol:

12-03-08 Mnet - enews_Talk about Rain

2012-03-09

credit : momorumii//ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMjSyv7dic&list=UULBMXNHYXB7_wjm_MkjptlQ&index=1&feature=plcp

*quoted image*

anjjo, JYP made him partly where he is right now. It feels so good seeing those concerts he had with so many fans infront of him, infront of the stage. What surprises me the most about these fans is that most of these fans, these K-pop enthusiasts are not Korean. There were overseas fans. blush.gif

I'm still wondering up to now of those overseas fans like me, like most of us here who are also into K-pop. Maybe they’re also interested on K-pop looks? Because I am.....Although Korea gets a lot of criticisms because most celebrities rely on “magic knives” here and there, K-pop has a distinct look, especially their style. I’m sure most celebs in the world go under the knife too. But, everything about this industry is simple like flashy colors, changing hair-styles and fast-paced enough that there is always something new for your attention. In short, Kpop does so many crazy things simply because it can. I'm not so detail oriented that I point out/look for every little mistake onstage. My friends can't understand my fascination with Kpop. Because I told them the looks are a perk. So many pretty people to look at. Sometimes I myself couldn't explain anymore. I almost always get a good response that they don't understand the language that's why they don't dig it. Then again, neither do I. I think the first word that popped into my head was "slick" why K-pop fascinates me. The high level of production that goes into creating kpop, from the music, to the MVs, to their grooming was readily apparent to me when I started liking K-pop. I remember when I watched RAIN’s concert for the 1st time, I didn't understand one lick of what he was saying still his songs moved me somehow and found myself clapping after the performance was over. Also, I find K-dramas cute and innocent maybe because I'm not much of a fan of American Soaps or shows. That’s why, the internet is a wonderful thing. K-pop is addictive. I remember when I first heard the OST for Winter Sonata. I became interested in finding out more about Korean music in general. :lol:

*** RAIN will be on the new location next week, March 13. As what they say - the army is not a place where you can choose to go because it looks attractive, or a place you don’t go because it looks boring. The army is a place you have to go if you’re a Korean man, that’s it! But, just so happy for RAIN now that he's stationed on the "safe" place & not at the "frontline" anymore. :lol:

***About Hyori's story, remember their KB Card commercial? That was a cute commercial of RAIN & Hyori way back 2009. It’s pretty funny how nervous Hyori makes him. He can’t even look her in the eye. That was also the time when Hyori said that she loves his hip line. Hahaha - Rain was sweating bullets next to Hyori! It was the first time I saw Rain loosing his composure with a lady. Well, about that story, RAIN was in HK having a Rainy Day concert during that day. So, how could be heard over the radio live? :rolleyes:

Rain in Full House

Sorry, willenette, for the wide forehead, but still as handsome as ever! :lol::wub:

*quoted image*

More

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

credit:as tagged

With all the love to Rain, but his hair style in Full House (like his dress style) was truly horrible. :P

***I hope they could collaborate in a drama in the future, when he gets back from the MS. I'd love to see them together in a small screen. I would totally want to watch them together. I like her....I started liking her after watching MNIKSS. :lol:

********************************************************************************

Who is Fit to Call Kim Sun-ah ‘Noona’?

*quoted image*

There’s no such thing as a bad drama when Kim Sun-ah is involved. In fact, I could probably watch her watch paint dry and I’d give it a standing ovation. And then ask for an encore. To me, she is the epitome of awesome, even with the ill-named hit film Wet Dreams on her resume. She’s proven herself to be a top actress in the popular drama, My Name Is Kim Sam Soon, and I fell in love with her after watching City Hall and Scent of a Woman.

But if there was one critique I’d have to give her, it would be her attraction to roles that can get a bit too cute at times. And while that can be part of her charm, I’d like to see her play some stronger characters. So it comes as a delight to learn that Kim Sun-ah will be playing the leading lady in a new romantic comedy set to release in May. Titled I Do, I Do, the drama will feature a successful career woman who, after a one night stand with the new young employee at her job, gets pregnant. A “top star” is being suggested for the role of the young male employee and with a little poking around on the interwebs, I learned that the top star is rumored to be CN Blue‘s Jung Yong-hwa.

My first reaction to that tidbit was, “Wait whaaat?”

As a disclaimer, I must emphasize that I love Yong-hwa. His epic performances on Running Man have solidified my love for him. But I saw the guy in You’re Beautiful. And I definitely saw him in Heartstrings. And, in an effort to be as nice as I can possibly be, I would have rather watched a slab of wood playing the guitar and acting alongside Park Shin-hye. There’s not a chance in K-drama hell that he’d be able to hold his own with a proven veteran like Kim Sun-ah. Seriously. She’d eat him up.

While continuing my journey through the interwebs, I noticed other names crop up, suggesting others who could play the noona killer in Kim Sun-ah’s drama. I saw names like Song Joong-ki, Lee Min-ho, Kim Bum, and Jaejoong. And I totally agree these guys could play her love interest. That is, if I want to sit through awkward scenes of Kim Sun-ah making googly eyes at a guy that could pass for her much younger brother. The 36 year-old pro will need someone a bit less baby-faced to make me believe the sexual chemistry.

So who do I desperately want to see playing the young strapping hero? Why, none other than the noona-killer himself, Rain. Sure, he’s got the baby face thing going on too but for him, I’ll make an exception. At only 29 years old, he is my number one choice for who I think can play the rookie employee to Kim Sun-ah’s experienced career woman. I mean, can you imagine Rain and Kim Sun-ah together? My mind is blowing just thinking about it.

The pair previously showcased their amazing chemistry during Rain’s 2008 Rainism comeback tour. She appeared on stage for the tango version of his song “Bad Guy” and knocked the socks and pants off of unexpecting viewers.

My link

Yeah. You didn’t think she learned those Scent of a Woman tango moves from Lee Dong-wook did you? MBC released a documentary leading up to the performance, chronicling two weeks of rehearsals and hijinks between the two stars. In front of viewers the duo went from reasonably awkward, to developing a comfortable friendship, and finally to being cozy enough to get playful and flirty on camera.

My link

*quoted image*

While Kim Sun-ah has proven that her acting chops are the cream of the crop, Rain’s own acting prowess is nothing to scoff at. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Rain has set the modern standard for singer/actors, offering a goofball charm and endearing naturalness to all of his roles. Because let’s face it, he was the saving grace of his last drama The Fugitve: Plan B (a drama that has taken me over a year just to get to episode 12) and he’s just plain fun to watch! In certain respects, he’s as much of a pro as Kim Sun-ah; in fact, both of their respective dramas, Full House and My Name is Kim Sam-soon were huge contributors to the spread of Hallyu overseas. I’m giddy just thinking of what they could do together.

So…I’m going to need this to happen like, right now. Sure there’s the whole, Rain-is-serving-his-two-years-of-military-duty thing but I’m thinking of starting a petition calling for the delay of this drama until he gets back. Who’s with me?

Gong Yoo and Jung Il-woo are also some of my top contenders. Are there any younger actors you’d like to see take on the role? While you’re pondering this, I leave you with an adorable scene between Rain and Kim Sun-ah. As if you needed any more.

My link

(Dramabeans, Nate) / seoulbeats

Seeing those working in a drama or movie would be fantastic!!! I think KSA is one fantastic person and actress and I loved their collaboration in 2008 for Rain's comeback.

March 8, 2012

Rain to Transfer to Seoul for Military Next Week

Rain is likely to be transferred this week from his service in the 5th division’s recruitment training center in Gyeongi-do Yeoncheon-gun to Seoul’s Yongsan Ministry of National Defense.

Rain will transfer from the 5th division’s recruitment training center to the Ministry of National Defense as a PR agent.

An associate told enews on March 8, “Rain is expected to come to the Ministry of National Defense around March 13. I believe discussions are currently being made on the work Rain will do there.”

Rain enlisted into the army last October opting to serve in a regular army unit and was sent to the 5th division’s recruitment training center. However, on February 17 he applied for the Ministry of National Defense’s recruitment for its PR recruitment and was accepted as a PR agent on February 23.

Along with Rain, Kim Jae Wook, Im Joo Hwan and Untouchable’s Sleepy will be assigned new positions in the army.

Currently Lee Dong Gun, Lee Wan, Kim Ji Hoon, Yoo Gun, Epik High’s Mithra Jin, Park Hyo Shin, Yoo Seung Chan and others are serving as PR agents.

Photo credit: Ministry of National Defense / enewsworld

So Rain will be moved to Seoul, hence he will be closer to his family and friends. I am very happy for him!!!

Lee Hyori Addresses Sex Rumors with Rain

by: thunderstix on Mar 8, 2012

*quoted image*

Most old school K-Pop fans know about the sex rumors between Lee Hyori and Rain. It first surfaced in the early 2000s, when it was rumored that Rain had bragged about his one-night stand with Lee Hyori on a live radio show—without being aware of his voice going on air at the moment. Rain supposedly was connected by a phone call for the show, but mistakenly spoke about his personal love life while being on air.

The rumor remained the longest mystery among K-Pop fans as no evidence was found or revealed on any of the fan communities. Neither Rain nor Hyori addressed the rumors, further deepening the problem with more speculation and assumptions by fans.

On March 8, Hyori finally opened up about the one-night stand allegations with Rain on KBS “Happy Together 3.” While talking about all the rumors she had to endure through her career, Hyori nonchalantly said, “There weren’t many absurd rumors. In fact, most of them were true. But the scandal with Shin Dong Yup and the rumors about Rain were absolutely false.”

She explained, “As you all know, there is no radio show that calls someone, without getting the call set up prior to going on air. There’s no chance of speaking without knowing you’re on air. It was just really frustrating.”

Netizens who saw the show commented, “Finally, that rumor is proven wrong,” “I wish Rain was on the show, too,” and “The longest K-Pop mystery has been solved.”

*quoted image*

Credit : soompi news

Correct me, but both Rain and Hyori talked about this "sex scandal" already in 2010 on Happy Together (or was it another tv show?), when both promoted their album, Rain his BTTB mini album, so they already proved this wrong. I still remember the light humour and laughter both had about it and how Hyori (how naugthy she is) said she wish it was at least true.

[Fan Acct] Saw Rain on 8 March

2012-03-10

Credit: benamoo//huhuhuhu@http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/board/content.asp?ref=8378&board_id=b_08042315221786&page=1&search_what=&keyword=

Someone I know went to the graduation ceremony of the No. 5 Division yesterday (8th March) and saw Rain. That's the story from him/her:

Rain's skin is as milky as before. The military uniform is like fashion on him. He looked so gorgeous.

Although I saw him from a distance, I am not kidding, his shoulders are broad and he shines.

And his eyes are rounder and bigger than I thought... hehehe

He was not wearing the beret we often see in photos but just an ordinary military cap and was walking briskly towards somewhere.

Because I was not a participant of the ceremony I could not take a close look of him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[review] I’m a Cyborg, But That’s Okay.

2012-03-08

by Stephe@loudusa

Rain’s first movie, also starring the talented and lovely Im SooJeong, premiered in 2006; this review is new and just recently written for KOFFIA’s 2012 Korea Blogathon event.

Cineawesome 3/5/2012 — written by Jeff Wildman

I’m A Cyborg, But That’s Okay (2006).

imacyborgmainpromo.jpg

I wanted to start my contribution to The 2012Korean Blogathon with a bang! I wanted to start with something big, something explosive, something exciting, an edge of your seat thrill ride! Well, I didn’t. Instead I decided to share my thought on one of the most unique and quirky films I have ever seen, and one that I truly love. I’m a Cyborg, But That’s Okay is one of my personal favorite films from my absolute favorite Korean Director, Park Chan-wook. Maybe you’ve heard of him? Over the years Park has delivered us some unforgettable films, going back to 2000’s political thriller-masterpiece JSA. Then immersing himself in the internationally acclaimed vengeance trilogy (Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance). For Cyborg we get the opportunity to see a different side of Park, the romantic comedy side. Don’t let that frighten you, because this is not your typical romance comedy. Remember, it’s a romantic comedy written and directed by Park Chan-wook. . .

Now comes the obligatory part of this article where I explain the plot of I’m a Cyborg, if you’ve seen it you will probably smile, if you haven’t please don’t be afraid, like I said. It’s Park Chan-wook, and probably at his most creative to boot. Young Goon (Lim Su-jeong) has been traumatized after being forced to witness her grandmother, who happens to think she is a rabbit . . . and only eats radishes, be dragged away by the “White Coats” and taken to a mental hospital. She is also convinced that her grandmother was trying to tell her the meaning of existence as she was being tucked aboard an ambulance and driven away. On top of that Granny forgot her dentures which she needs to eat her radishes. This obviously did some psychological damage to Young Goon, because she is now convinced that she is in fact a Cyborg, and stops eating because if she does, the food will damage her inner mechanics. Instead she licks batteries in an attempt to recharge herself. (Her toes light up when fully charged you see).

The last straw is drawn when she cuts her wrists open and almost kills herself by inserting live electrical wire into the slit wrists in an attempt to recharge. So her mother sends her off to a sanitarium. Now with her grandmother’s dentures by her side, which she must wear in order to communicate with the vending machines, telephones, and grandfather clock, she is on a mission. She must find her grandmother, kill the doctors holding her captive, return the dentures, and discover the purpose of her existence. But this is becoming increasingly difficult as her attempts to recharge are somehow unsuccessful.

While in the hospital she meets up with Il-sun, a kleptomaniac who is known throughout the hospital for stealing everyone’s personalities. Il-sun is possibly the best character in the film, being played by South Korean pop star Rain. He is not entirely insane as he had himself committed to avoid going to jail. He is at least sane enough to notice that Young Goon is killing herself by not eating, but at the same time he does not agree with the hospitals force feeding tactics. So he decides to find a way to get her eating, without damaging her circuits. It’s the relationship between the two that can put the film into the category of a romantic comedy, but being a Park film their relationship is deliciously decorated by his incredible visuals and imagination.

Often we are lifted from the reality of the film and taken away to Young-goons hallucinations. Including a memorable and forgiving scene where she arms herself with apparently build in finger guns and starts hunting down and slaughtering all the doctors in the hospital in a very brutal fashion, meanwhile all the inmates go about their regular activities without notice. Now what would a Park film be without such a violent scene? But despite the grim depiction, it’s actually quite humorous and fun to watch because you know she is just standing their pointing all her fingers at the doctors, who are just looking back in confusion. Okay so perhaps you have to be a bit sick to enjoy that, but who didn’t enjoy the mentally disabled man in Mr. Vengeance?

The film also has a wonderful cast of very colorful characters throughout the hospital. Including a memorable appearance by Park Chan-wook regular Oh Dal-su playing a patient who thinks everything is his fault! Then there is a woman who is a compulsive liar, and in fact early in the film she is walking Young-goon throughout the hospital introducing all the characters who we will see throughout the film, and telling their stories. This is usually the easiest way to introduce so many characters at once in a film; of course in this case we soon learn none of its true!

I’m a Cyborg is something that could have been easily overlooked or passed by a general audience, and guaranteed will not appeal to everyone, maybe even long time Park fans. It’s nothing close to the violent revenge stories told prior. But it is very much worth a look. It’s a beautiful film, with a very sweet story when you look past all the outer madness of the characters. As we witnessed last year with Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece Hugo, it’s always nice to see directors try something different, and I think Park did very well in his attempt at something lighter, and he still manages to express his familiar imaginative visual flair. So in the end it may not be his absolute best film, but that’s okay!

— Jeff Wildman

Source:http://cineawesome.com/4963/im-a-cyborg-but-thats-okay-2006/

With all the love to Rain, but his hair style in Full House (like his dress style) was truly horrible. :P

Seeing those working in a drama or movie would be fantastic!!! I think KSA is one fantastic person and actress and I loved their collaboration in 2008 for Rain's comeback.

So Rain will be moved to Seoul, hence he will be closer to his family and friends. I am very happy for him!!!

Correct me, but both Rain and Hyori talked about this "sex scandal" already in 2010 on Happy Together (or was it another tv show?), when both promoted their album, Rain his BTTB mini album, so they already proved this wrong. I still remember the light humour and laughter both had about it and how Hyori (how naugthy she is) said she wish it was at least true.

Hi bbly, about RAIN's hairstyle in FH, really - you don't like it? I know there are fans who don't dig his style of dressing in that drama but you see he was playing the role of an entertainment artist there so I understood somehow why he dressed like that. About Hyori & RAIN, I saw that show but just can't remember enough if they talked about that topic. blush.gif

[10-Mar-12][chosun]NYT Dissects Global Success of 'Goose-Stepping' K-Pop Singers

* Posted by ratoka on March 10, 2012@memo-rain

The New York Times published a feature article on March 5 on the secrets behind K-pop's worldwide popularity.

Under the headline "Bringing K-Pop to the West," the article talks about how K-pop is spreading and attracting audiences around the world. The genre "has spread, first to Asia and more recently to Europe, the Middle East and the Americas, mainly because of the broad use of social media," it said.

"When bands like 2NE1, Super Junior and SHINee hold concerts in Europe and the United States, tickets sell out within minutes, and fans have used Facebook and Twitter to organize flash mobs demanding more shows," the article reported.

Besides social media, the NYT credited lyrical hooks that are easy to memorize and the hard work and talent of band members, taking Nine Muses as an example.

2012030900942_0.jpg

Nine Muses

The paper reported on the intense practice regime that the girls have to go through, a program they claimed to have followed for 10 to 12 hours each day, seven days a week, for the last several years.

"They practiced synchronized dance routines that were executed precisely" so they can be associated with "goose-stepping" North Korean soldiers, but "with an infectious sense of joy," it said.

It also highlighted fierce competition among group members as they can be easily replaced if they don't train. There is also a strong desire among each to become the "leader, who dances at the head of the formation." It cited a member as saying, "It's training, training and more training."

However, K-pop has not yet made a lasting impression on many Americans, the NYT claimed.

"Not everyone is convinced K-pop has staying power in the United States," it wrote. It quoted Morgan Carey, a Los Angeles-based music consultant, as saying, "The way into American pop culture is through fashion and film." Carey cited Rain, who added an edgier side to his public persona by starring in "Ninja Assassin," and Wonder Girls as shining examples backing up his theory.

source :http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/03/09/20120309010...

[Translation] Excerpts of letters from recruits

2012-03-11

by huhuhuhu@http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/board/content.asp?ref=8381&board_id=b_08042315221786&page=1&search_what=&keyword=

Credit: Benamoo

A cloud from Benamoo has kindly posted a number of excerpts from letters of recruits who mentioned about Rain. Here are some translations:

1. We are not allowed to share stories about Rain.

2. Ah, I saw Rain. He is slightly taller than I am, and has strong body. I don’t feel like he is a celebrity, because he wears uniform and because he asks for more rice keke

3. I saw the world star here, but today he will go to another place as an entertainment soldier. As I see him quite often, it feels like he is just a soldier in the army. However he is really tall and his body is strong.

4. World star Rain is here. We showered and he gave orders daily. It’s great to be able to see him everyday. However don’t come over, just remember my words.

5. We have world star Rain here kekeke. Isn’t that great?

6. I was having my meal and I saw Rain’s back. He was talking to a senior. When I walked pass I saw his side face kekeke

7. Don’t you know that Rain is in our army? Today he will have to leave to serve at the public relations unit. I saw him a couple of times in these few days. He’s really handsome.

8. Oh right, I saw Rain here. I heard about him being in the same unit, but now I really saw him. He’s tall and his body is strong. He is really handsome.

9. Rain was here in our No. 5 division, but today he went to another place. There was internet news about this also. We had our meal together and just now when we went out to take photos I was next to him.

Hi bbly, about RAIN's hairstyle in FH, really - you don't like it? I know there are fans who don't dig his style of dressing in that drama but you see he was playing the role of an entertainment artist there so I understood somehow why he dressed like that. About Hyori & RAIN, I saw that show but just can't remember enough if they talked about that topic. blush.gif

No, dear! I neither liked his hair style nor his dress style in FH. But I loved his cute acting.

I still remember that show in 2010, Rain and Hyori both promoted their albums and I remember how Rain was thrilled that his noona is promoting at the same time as there were in the music shows only newbies and he didn't really know anybody. And they both appeared together in 2 shows during that tiime. One was where each of them brought 2 friends with them (it was like a christmas special) and when in the 2nd part they sat on the floor together, I think it was Come To Play show or something like this. And the other show, where Rain and Hyori talked about this "scandal" because one of the MC asked, was Happy Together, where Rain wore that cute blue outfit with shorts and a towel on his head.

[Translation] Excerpts of letters from recruits

2012-03-11

by huhuhuhu@http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/board/content.asp?ref=8381&board_id=b_08042315221786&page=1&search_what=&keyword=

Credit: Benamoo

A cloud from Benamoo has kindly posted a number of excerpts from letters of recruits who mentioned about Rain. Here are some translations:

1. We are not allowed to share stories about Rain.

2. Ah, I saw Rain. He is slightly taller than I am, and has strong body. I don’t feel like he is a celebrity, because he wears uniform and because he asks for more rice keke

3. I saw the world star here, but today he will go to another place as an entertainment soldier. As I see him quite often, it feels like he is just a soldier in the army. However he is really tall and his body is strong.

4. World star Rain is here. We showered and he gave orders daily. It’s great to be able to see him everyday. However don’t come over, just remember my words.

5. We have world star Rain here kekeke. Isn’t that great?

6. I was having my meal and I saw Rain’s back. He was talking to a senior. When I walked pass I saw his side face kekeke

7. Don’t you know that Rain is in our army? Today he will have to leave to serve at the public relations unit. I saw him a couple of times in these few days. He’s really handsome.

8. Oh right, I saw Rain here. I heard about him being in the same unit, but now I really saw him. He’s tall and his body is strong. He is really handsome.

9. Rain was here in our No. 5 division, but today he went to another place. There was internet news about this also. We had our meal together and just now when we went out to take photos I was next to him.

I am sure the soldiers in his old division will miss Rain a lot! And I am still surprised to read that they were forbidden to share stories about Rain.

Legend of Rain

2012-03-11

Credit : momorumii// ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkPpRxGteNM

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEifmXvPZk

kkkkkk%281%29.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

photo

Rain JVJQ picture

2012-03-11

credit as tagged//ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr/co/rainstorm

jvjq.jpg

55c378aa64b7066f97ad552e631f8eeb.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rain with Daniel Henney in Fugitive

b88ae058a0955795856a577470676890.jpg

5ba60a8e42811e6cbc337f96315ba699.jpg

7325849fe6f054223439796f4a49c8d6.jpg

credit:as tagged

No, dear! I neither liked his hair style nor his dress style in FH. But I loved his cute acting.

I still remember that show in 2010, Rain and Hyori both promoted their albums and I remember how Rain was thrilled that his noona is promoting at the same time as there were in the music shows only newbies and he didn't really know anybody. And they both appeared together in 2 shows during that tiime. One was where each of them brought 2 friends with them (it was like a christmas special) and when in the 2nd part they sat on the floor together, I think it was Come To Play show or something like this. And the other show, where Rain and Hyori talked about this "scandal" because one of the MC asked, was Happy Together, where Rain wore that cute blue outfit with shorts and a towel on his head.

I am sure the soldiers in his old division will miss Rain a lot! And I am still surprised to read that they were forbidden to share stories about Rain.

Hi bbly, about that show where they talked about that scandal, I already remember it. Thanks dear, you were right. That was Happy Together.....About policy inside the military, it's not only about RAIN, which is forbidden but everything what's happening inside, they're not allowed to talk about this. :lol:

bbly, tomorrow, March 13 he'll be officially in a new location. I think being a PR Agent he’ll also be an MC to the military radio station later on. Being a radio station MC will be new to him but this could add-up to his experience as a celebrity. We know that he had done recorded variety shows so many times but being an MC to a show will be his 1st. Now, if there's no chance that he can’t do this acting & singing suit him better anyway. :lol:

About him & Hyori, wondering why in K-pop all interviews conducted to celebrities would seem strange for answers “not” to be scripted. Maybe this is how K-companies work. This becomes extremely possible when artists go through scandals or events that they and the companies would not want them to talk about, which is why things are poured over, censored, scripted, and then dispensed. Especially when you’re a superstar like RAIN, almost every minute of his life is picked apart and analysed. Well, scripted answers are the safest — and therefore the best — ones. Part of it is also because his role is so much more than that of just musicians: he is also expected to be role model to children as well as cultural ambassadors, so what comes out of his mouth becomes of interest to more people. But I happen to take that with some doubt that the majority of shows are purely scripted. It’s part of how the management of an artist works. RAIN is not selling just music & acting, he’s also selling an image to his audience. That’s why it’s so important for him to keep up his pristine image and this facade of perfection because we expect it from him. Management companies often, well almost always, request to see questions before conducting them and censor not only their answers but the questions as well. So, the more proper they appear and the less daring or spontaneous, the higher the chances are the more people will like them in general. But I can’t say that I don’t understand why it is so. Well, all celebrities not only in Korea can’t be themselves entirely or live their lives the way they’d wish to. I'm pretty sure that even in the west some things are partially scripted, and celebrity’s personalities are definitely enhanced for the camera. :lol:

[Fan Acct] Saw Rain on 8 March

2012-03-10

Credit: benamoo//huhuhuhu@http://rain-cloud.co.kr/common/board/content.asp?ref=8378&board_id=b_08042315221786&page=1&search_what=&keyword=

Someone I know went to the graduation ceremony of the No. 5 Division yesterday (8th March) and saw Rain. That's the story from him/her:

Rain's skin is as milky as before. The military uniform is like fashion on him. He looked so gorgeous.

Although I saw him from a distance, I am not kidding, his shoulders are broad and he shines.

And his eyes are rounder and bigger than I thought... hehehe

He was not wearing the beret we often see in photos but just an ordinary military cap and was walking briskly towards somewhere.

Because I was not a participant of the ceremony I could not take a close look of him.

anjjo, another description this time about him. Because I noticed these past few days when I read about stories/fan accounts about him they always commented/talked about his height, that he's tall.....I think height is an important factor in K-pop because most of them lie about their heights. :lol:

***March 14 is White Day in Korea. Ahh…I would love to get a White Day date from RAIN. :lol:

Which K-Drama Was Voted No.1 Drama by Overseas Fans?

Arirang TV’s Showbiz Korea recently conducted a survey among some 2,024 overseas fans polling them on their favorite Korean drama and revealed its results.

The results, revealed on March 12, showed Boys Over Flowers came in at second place with 13.1 percent of the total results, followed by You’re Beautiful at 11.1 percent, Coffee Prince at 7.4 percent, Full House, 6 percent and Sungkyunkwan Scandal rounded out the top six at 5.8 percent.

Which Korean drama was voted as number one you ask? None other than the much beloved Secret Garden which garnered 16.1 percent of the total votes.

In addition to claiming the title of favorite Korean drama, the fictional male and female characters of Secret Garden, Joo Won (played by Hyun Bin) and Kim Ra Im (played by Ha Ji Won) also took the top spot in two other polls. Joo Won emerged the winner for the poll asking which fictional male lead would fans want as a boyfriend, while the character of Kim Ra Im also landed on top, in the poll asking which fictional female lead would fans want to be reborn as.

The polls also drew attention for the lesser-than-anticipated showing of other mega-hit hallyu dramas such as Jewel in the Palace and Winter Sonata.

Did the poll results get it right? Which Korean drama do you guys feel is best?

Credit : enewsworld

Legend of Rain

2012-03-11

part 1

part 2

*quoted image*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

photo

Rain JVJQ picture

2012-03-11

credit as tagged//ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr/co/rainstorm

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Wow!!!! That JVJQ picture of Rain is breathtaking!! Always good to be reminded how beautiful our Rain is.

I think this is the first marketing by JVJQ with Rain or?

Hi bbly, about that show where they talked about that scandal, I already remember it. Thanks dear, you were right. That was Happy Together.....About policy inside the military, it's not only about RAIN, which is forbidden but everything what's happening inside, they're not allowed to talk about this. :lol:

Thanks for the explanation about the military. So there is general this policy that forbids to talk too much about it, be it the life inside, the conditions etc. I always admire your knowledge about those things dear.

12-03-12 Rain in Military new picture

source : http://demaclub.tistory.com/689 / ratoka - rain-cloud.co.kr/

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Just look at him!!!! He looks sooooooo good!!!! And quite healthy.

bbly, tomorrow, March 13 he'll be officially in a new location. I think being a PR Agent he’ll also be an MC to the military radio station later on. Being a radio station MC will be new to him but this could add-up to his experience as a celebrity. We know that he had done recorded variety shows so many times but being an MC to a show will be his 1st. Now, if there's no chance that he can’t do this acting & singing suit him better anyway. :lol:

About him & Hyori, wondering why in K-pop all interviews conducted to celebrities would seem strange for answers “not” to be scripted. Maybe this is how K-companies work. This becomes extremely possible when artists go through scandals or events that they and the companies would not want them to talk about, which is why things are poured over, censored, scripted, and then dispensed. Especially when you’re a superstar like RAIN, almost every minute of his life is picked apart and analysed. Well, scripted answers are the safest — and therefore the best — ones. Part of it is also because his role is so much more than that of just musicians: he is also expected to be role model to children as well as cultural ambassadors, so what comes out of his mouth becomes of interest to more people. But I happen to take that with some doubt that the majority of shows are purely scripted. It’s part of how the management of an artist works. RAIN is not selling just music & acting, he’s also selling an image to his audience. That’s why it’s so important for him to keep up his pristine image and this facade of perfection because we expect it from him. Management companies often, well almost always, request to see questions before conducting them and censor not only their answers but the questions as well. So, the more proper they appear and the less daring or spontaneous, the higher the chances are the more people will like them in general. But I can’t say that I don’t understand why it is so. Well, all celebrities not only in Korea can’t be themselves entirely or live their lives the way they’d wish to. I'm pretty sure that even in the west some things are partially scripted, and celebrity’s personalities are definitely enhanced for the camera. :lol:

You know whatever Rain does, he does one fantastic job! And in his new position from March 13 he will excel once again and be the best promoter there is for the military.

You are totally right about the scripted shows and that there are actually no surprises because the questions/replies are more less discussed with the agencies and the stars (and I think not only in Korea, but in general in entertainment a lot of shows such as talent shows, casting shows etc. are more scripted than we think). Especially if the shows was recorded before (so no live airing) there is no danger of a scandal or something to be said wrong. As you said it there is an image to be protected and it is about the money: a star sells better the "cleaner" he/she is!

anjjo, another description this time about him. Because I noticed these past few days when I read about stories/fan accounts about him they always commented/talked about his height, that he's tall.....I think height is an important factor in K-pop because most of them lie about their heights. :lol:

***March 14 is White Day in Korea. Ahh…I would love to get a White Day date from RAIN. :lol:

Which K-Drama Was Voted No.1 Drama by Overseas Fans?

Arirang TV’s Showbiz Korea recently conducted a survey among some 2,024 overseas fans polling them on their favorite Korean drama and revealed its results.

The results, revealed on March 12, showed Boys Over Flowers came in at second place with 13.1 percent of the total results, followed by You’re Beautiful at 11.1 percent, Coffee Prince at 7.4 percent, Full House, 6 percent and Sungkyunkwan Scandal rounded out the top six at 5.8 percent.

Which Korean drama was voted as number one you ask? None other than the much beloved Secret Garden which garnered 16.1 percent of the total votes.

In addition to claiming the title of favorite Korean drama, the fictional male and female characters of Secret Garden, Joo Won (played by Hyun Bin) and Kim Ra Im (played by Ha Ji Won) also took the top spot in two other polls. Joo Won emerged the winner for the poll asking which fictional male lead would fans want as a boyfriend, while the character of Kim Ra Im also landed on top, in the poll asking which fictional female lead would fans want to be reborn as.

The polls also drew attention for the lesser-than-anticipated showing of other mega-hit hallyu dramas such as Jewel in the Palace and Winter Sonata.

Did the poll results get it right? Which Korean drama do you guys feel is best?

Credit : enewsworld

Hi willenette, here is a proof that Rain does not lie about his height :lol::lol:

c0047605_1014847.jpg

c0047605_105096.jpg

Source:rainstorm

-------------------------------------------------

So what is White Day, my dear? Please refresh our memories, Korea has so many special days. :lol:

I am so glad that after so many years. Full House remains one of the favorite Kdramas all over the world. :D

International fans choose ‘Secret Garden’ as their most favorite drama

2012-03-12

Last month, Arirang TV‘s ‘Showbiz Korea‘ opened up a three week long poll on their official homepage that asked international netizens to pick their most favorite Korean drama.

According to 2,024 international participants, the drama that won over the most hearts was none other than SBS‘s ‘Secret Garden‘, which came in at first with 16.1% of the votes.

Following in the ‘Top 7′ were ‘Boys Over Flowers‘, ‘You’re Handsome‘ ‘Coffee Prince‘, ‘Goong‘, ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal‘, and ‘Full House‘.

When asked to choose a male actor that they would like as their boyfriend, 15.3% chose Hyun Bin while 13.9% chose Ha Ji Won as the female character they would like to be reborn as.

Source + Photos: Mydaily via Naver//allkpo

20e4c7369e422b506903b172a067b7f2.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Eng.trans]Excerpts from Rain's soldier mates' response to their

acquaintances' letters.

2012-03-13

- 3소대훈련병비느님영접후기-

The following is about how Rain impressed recruits belonging to the 3rd platoon when

they saw him.

7 March 2012

오늘 비봤다. 식당에서 배식하고 오는데 비였더라 ㅋㅋ

하늘에서 내리는 비가 아니라 연예인 비 ㅋㅋㅋ

국통 들고 가면서 야 비켜비켜 이러더라 ㅋㅋ

I saw Rain today. I ran into him after dinner, it was Rain who is an entertainer, not rain that

means the weather. keke..

He was seen telling them, "Hey, clear the way!" while holding the soup bowl..keke

사병들이 밥한번 먹고 비 한번 보고 이러는데 비가 무슨 반찬도 아니고 ㅋㅋㅋ

근데 진짜 멋지긴 멋있더라.

그냥 볼 땐 잘 생기고 멋진 병사같았는데 다른사람들을 보니 오징어였어ㅋㅋㅋ

Soldiers looked at Rain soon after taking a mouthful of food and they just did it again and

again. They seemed to treat him like side dish. kekeke...

Anyway, I acknowledge he is cool.

He simply looked handsome and great when I saw him without thinking, but they looked

like squids, contrary to him.

아참! 여기 신병교육대에 (5사단) 비있었는데 오늘 다른 곳으로 갔다

인터넷기사 올라올텐데! 밥도 같이 먹고 아까 떠날 때 사진 촬영할 때도 그 옆에 있었다

여기 연예인 많이 오는 곳이래.

Oops! There was Rain here (a recruit training center attached to the 5th Division), but he

went elsewhere today. I'm sure articles about him will be posted on the internet !

I ate with him, and I was standing next to him even when we were photographed as a

group before he left. It is said this is an unit where many entertainers have been found.

비를 실제로 보니 키도 엄청 크고 잘 생겼더라구요.~

Rain looks so much more handsome in real life and is a lot taller than I thought.

Credit to unit Key (열쇠부대)

Re-posted and edited by DC http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=rain&no=321712&page=1&bbs=

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Update)

우리부대에 비 있던 거 알아?

오늘 홍보대로 가긴 했지만..며칠동안 봤는데 멋있더라. ㅋㅋㅋ

Did you know Rain served in our unit?

He has already left for Defense Agency for Public Information Services though.

I saw him for a few days, and he looked great..keke.

여기 월드스타 비도 있어..대박이지?

There is world star Rain here. Isn’t that wonderful?

나 여기서 밥먹는 비의 뒷모습과 선임과 얘기하며 걷는 비의 옆모습을 봤어 ㅋㅋㅋ

I watched Rain's back as he ate and took a short glance at his profile as he walked on in

conversation with his senior....keke.

저희 부대에서 월드스타 비를 봤습니다.. 근데 연예병사로 다른곳으로 전출을 갔습니다

종종 보고는 했는데 월드스타도 군대에선 그냥 군인입니다. 근데 키도 크고 덩치도 큽니다.

I saw world star Rain in our unit, but he was transferred to another unit to serve as an

entertainment soldier.

I was sometimes able to see him. He was just a normal soldier here, despite being a world

star. He is very tall and big.

뭐 이곳에 비도 있다던데 난 아직 보지못했어. 조만간 다른 곳으로 간대

한번 보고 싶은데 말이지 나 5사단으로 왔는데 5사단 알아? 열쇠부대야.

I've heard Rain is here, but I've never actually seen him.

It is said he'll go elsewhere soon. I'd like to see what he is like.

I've been arranged in the 5th Division, and do you happen to know the 5th Division?

Unit Key is right there.

Credit to unit Key (열쇠부대)

Re-posted and edited by DC

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=rain&no=321712&page=1&bbs=

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=rain&no=321714&page=1&bbs=

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[Pic] Soar into the Sun

2012-03-13

credit ad tagged//ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

soar.jpg

Hi willenette, here is a proof that Rain does not lie about his height :lol::lol:

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Source:rainstorm

-------------------------------------------------

So what is White Day, my dear? Please refresh our memories, Korea has so many special days. :lol:

I am so glad that after so many years. Full House remains one of the favorite Kdramas all over the world. :D

International fans choose ‘Secret Garden’ as their most favorite drama

2012-03-12

Last month, Arirang TV‘s ‘Showbiz Korea‘ opened up a three week long poll on their official homepage that asked international netizens to pick their most favorite Korean drama.

According to 2,024 international participants, the drama that won over the most hearts was none other than SBS‘s ‘Secret Garden‘, which came in at first with 16.1% of the votes.

Following in the ‘Top 7′ were ‘Boys Over Flowers‘, ‘You’re Handsome‘ ‘Coffee Prince‘, ‘Goong‘, ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal‘, and ‘Full House‘.

When asked to choose a male actor that they would like as their boyfriend, 15.3% chose Hyun Bin while 13.9% chose Ha Ji Won as the female character they would like to be reborn as.

Source + Photos: Mydaily via Naver//allkpo

*quoted image*

Hi anjjo, about the height, don't you know this is the 1st time i saw that picture you posted, huh? Hehehe.....But, you know, both of us have seen RAIN in person but I don't think he's 185cm....I see him only as 184cm, but I always stand corrected here, dear. blush.gif

Ye, Korea has really so many "special days" - There's Valentine, next is this White Days, after this there will be Black Days - hehehe. And in Korea they have tradition called "White Days" on March 14th. This is a day opposite to Valentine’s day. That's when it's payback time, and the girls are expected to return the favor. They give chocolate, candy, etc to their BFs. (IDK why most of the articles I read it says the other way around-) This is mostly celebrated by single ladies. Japan also celebrates this…

Thanks for the article about the most favorite drama considered by international fans. I'm happy that FH is still included in the list. If I had the time, I would re watch it over and over again. Secret Garden is definitely one of my favorites. I also watched BOF. I need to watch it again. Wondering why City Hunter isn't included in the list since this is a very amazing drama. I loved it! I fell in love with LMH's character there. Currently, I'm watching "Padam-Padam", then I still have (2) other dramas to watch : "Wild Romance" & "Fermentation Family" - Secret Garden, BOF, & Full House are the most popular dramas in our country, right? Have you seen also these dramas I mentioned above? :lol:

Hyori's Rumor with Rain: Final Clarification

10542-hyoris-rumor-with-rain-final-clarification.jpg

[in photo: "Radio rumor finally being clarified"]

Singer Lee Hyori clarified the rumor behind 'radio scandal.’

Hyori revealed during KBS 'Happy Together 3' aired on March 8, the truth behind the rumor with singer Rain. The rumor was from a while back when singer Kim TaeWoo called his friend Rain during his radio program, and Rain said that he slept with Hyori, not knowing that he's on air.

In 'Happy Together,' Hyori said, "Radios usually contact the stars beforehand, so the stars are aware and know that they are going to be contacted from the radio station."

Credit : kpopstarz

***This is a terrific & great recap! I have such a love/hate relationship with this drama. But, I have been waiting for recaps to this melodrama for ages now. This is just too much melodrama for me. Very complex but a very good drama. Now, better late than never. Thanks for doing this, HeadsNo2/javabeans. It’s been (7) years. (2005) Oh, the angst in that drama. Every time I remember this drama I always recall "that kiss" - the probably had to do that kiss a few times before they got the perfect shot of it. (that scene where Eun Seok goes outside to vomit. He follows her out to the alley and then, without her even wiping her mouth, he kisses her.) -The night kiss on the beach is also beautiful! I find the cinematography of this drama brilliant! Ironically it’s the opening scenes you love so much of this drama, the way it was executed. I loved this drama except the ending. Maybe I can PRETEND it has a happy ending and re-watch it….the ending was too sad …I hated it. It sucked! Aish....I’m only imagining the last scene. Was that it? I could understand why anyone wouldn’t like it. Happy scenes were far and few between but, it’s a flawless drama &. only a few realize that. SMA is so pretty. I think Kim Sarang did a good job here. My man's acting was solid. Scruffy Rain is HOT Rain! He's so proper here. I've watched this drama so many times already. I loved it for Rain. I t will always hold a special place in my heart along with all Rain's drama. This drama wouldn’t just be here for Rain’s abs - hehehe. The drama has its own share of bad moments, but overall, it was very fine! I loved "A Love to Kill" for all its flaws. I remember when I first saw the teasers with him holding the gun I was like, will he shot her or not? Oh yes, the OST is amazing! Even now, when I hear & listen to the music, my heart catches in my throat - it still breaks my heart. :lol:

A Love to Kill: Episode 1

by HeadsNo2 | March 12, 2012 / Dramabeans

altkposter.jpg

After discussing Rain’s post-vomit lizard kisses in the latest podcast, this blast from the past was just a matter of time. So here we have it, a first episode recap of 2005′s A Love to Kill (also known as This Cursed Love, aka This Love I Want to Kill, aka The Love of Death, aka Detestable Love, aka Knock Out By Love). I’m not joking about those titles, but I’m holding out hope that KBS was.

There’s no use trying to fool anyone that this show isn’t a melodramatic bedlam that mostly skews ridiculous. It’s a lot of cliches rolled into one and it’s certainly not a lot of things – like very good, for instance. But we all have those dramas that hold a special place in our heart for whatever reason (Rain, The Gateway Drug), and A Love To Kill is one of mine. Sometimes you just can’t help what you love.

[Note: This is a one-off first episode recap, not an ongoing recap series. Watch the series at DramaFever.]

EPISODE 1 RECAP

altk01-00014.jpgaltk01-00019.jpg

Two people in two different places reach for each other across space and time, with the scenes intercut to give us the idea that a metaphysical tie already exists between them. (Is it fate? It’s probably fate. I bet it’s fate.)

Our anti-hero hero, KANG BOK-GU (Rain!) lies alone in a grassy field while our heroine lies – wait for it – alone on a beach, the waves crashing softly around her. She’s CHA EUN-SEOK (Shin Mina), and she opens her eyes and reaches out her hand toward the camera while Bok-gu does the same. It’s like they’re reaching toward each other. (That’s deep.) He closes his eyes, and a tear falls down his cheek.

altk01-00058.jpgaltk01-00059.jpg

Now we get the official(?) start to the episode, as Bok-gu’s friends are having a party near the river. One of them is startled to see a woman in a red dress poised at the top of the nearby bridge, looking as though she’s ready to jump. He hurries to find Bok-gu (calling him ‘Dog’ Bok-gu) and alert him to the situation. From that far distance they can recognize the woman as a banker’s daughter who suffered Bok-gu’s rejection.

Bok-gu, too cool for school, ignores the problem even as the girl in red sheds tears. Suddenly, though, we see him sauntering toward her with a lollipop in his mouth and a vicious dose of apathy on his face. The first thing he tells a girl about to commit suicide? That if she was going to show her panties to all the guys standing below, she could at least pull her skirt up to give them a better show. Ouch.

She threatens that she’ll jump. “Tell me that you love me,” she pleads. He continually acts dismissive despite her plethora of sorrows. “Say, ‘If you wait for me, I’ll love you.’ Please say that to me,” she begs. But he doesn’t. Instead, he tells her to go ahead and jump off. When he turns his back, she jumps. He just keeps walking afterward, but maybe some part of his conscience niggles at him, and he jumps in after her.

altk01-00076.jpg

We cut back to Eun-seok, who’s crying out for her oppa on a beach. She begins to walk into the water as a director yells “Cut!”, and we soon realize that we’re watching a show within a show. It turns out she’s an actress, but it doesn’t seem like she understands the word “cut” since she keeps heading straight into the water. I love this little moment where her manager, CHOI MI-SEON (Kang Rae-yeon), stops someone from retrieving Eun-seok with a shake of her head as if to say: Girl be crazy.

altk01-00099.jpgaltk01-00101.jpg

She dives into the water at the same time as Bok-gu dives into the water wherever he is, and the scenes are intercut to make it seem like they’re swimming toward each other. Beneath the surface of the water it looks like Bok-gu grabs Eun-seok, but when he emerges, it’s with the girl in the red dress.

Bok-gu’s saved the Girl In Red’s life, though that doesn’t mean he has to be happy about it. He tells her that he won’t save her if she pulls this stunt again, and leaves her on the shore to cry. Ding! We have a winner on our hands.

altk01-00129.jpgaltk01-00130.jpg

After going for a salty swim, Eun-seok finds herself in her actress’ van with her manager. As fate would have it, the van that ends up driving next to them houses Bok-gu and his friends – and at the sight of what must be a celebrity car, they all begin waving frantically to gain her attention. She’s all smiles until she sees Bok-gu through the open window, asleep in the back. His face brings to mind a song she once asked her oppa to sing, the same man she thought aloud to while she was swimming in the ocean.

He’s not that asleep, it seems, as his hand begins reaching out of the car window just as Eun-seok’s does the same – and soon they’re reaching toward each other, their fingers inches apart.

altk01-00147.jpgaltk01-00153.jpg

It’s only now that we cut to the opening sequence introducing the actors, and I’m noting it because I really like it as a plain view of the underlying conflict for the series – Eun-seok is just minding her own business in the middle of a crowded street before she comes face to face with Bok-gu, holding a gun to her head. (He’s out to kill his love! I get it!) It’s everything I wanted the drama to be – dark, visceral, stylistic. One tiny opening sequence and I was hooked just based on potential. Couldn’t the whole drama just be this sequence?

Eun-seok goes through her daily routines, photo shoots and the like, though whenever she’s not actively on film her eyes seem distant, her mind clearly somewhere else. It sort of seems like she’s just going through the motions.

altk01-00171.jpg

A man in a baseball cap watches her from afar, and the sight of him puts Eun-seok into a state of shock. Though he turns to go she calls after him in voiceover, “Please don’t run away. Please don’t go. Please… Don’t go! Kang Min-gu, you bastard!”

altk01-00176.jpg

And just at that time, Bok-gu turns suddenly, as if he’s heard her voice. For reasons unknown this scene is in black and white, as we hear someone saying to him in voiceover not to resort to violence no matter what. The source of the voice and memory is his brother, KANG MIN-GU (Kim Young-jae), and it seems as though Bok-gu’s gratuitous use of violence was the reason for their estrangement.

We slowly fade to color as a bloody Bok-gu prepares to continue a K-1 match, having obviously chosen a life of violence despite his brother’s words of wisdom. It’s a brutal fight that ends with Bok-gu on the ground, though it’s not because he’s been knocked out – he simply chooses to lose. Why? Because titles are for winners, and he’s a loser. (No joke, he really is a professional loser.)

altk01-00196.jpgaltk01-00205.jpg

His opponent calls him out after the fight, wondering why he’s a K-1 fighter if he never wants to win. What’s his purpose in life, anyway? Bok-gu doesn’t answer, and instead smears the gum he was chewing over his opponent’s face.

Eun-seok has gone straight from a fancy gala to a poorer district of town, determined to track down Min-gu. She tries to find him at his old place to no avail, as his former landlady tells Eun-seok that he ran away with some unpaid rent. Why is a top star looking for a man without a penny to his name, anyway?

In order to comfort her, the landlady gives Eun-seok a bottle of soju, which Eun-seok drinks like a bottle of water. It’s in this state that her manager finds her, but it’s useless to chide Eun-seok, who could care less about her career.

altk01-00228.jpgaltk01-00234.jpg

Regardless, she gets dragged back to the same party while a CF of her plays for all the honored guests. She’s the company spokesmodel, and she’s got about five glasses of empty wine sitting in front of her. A kind man sitting across the table slides his half-empty glass over, and she thanks him drunkenly. That kind man is KIM JOON-SUNG (Lee Ki-woo), filling his second lead chaebol shoes perfectly.

Eun-seok is nowhere to be seen by the time the video dims and the lights go up, having excused her wasted self to a stairway in order to call Min-gu. Of course she gets his voicemail instead, and leaves him a sad message about how she’s called over one-hundred times. Eun-seok: “I can’t break up with you, why should I? I can’t break up with you like this. Over my dead body!” She begins sobbing into the phone.

altk01-00252.jpgaltk01-00259.jpg

Meanwhile, Joon-sung continues to give the presentation to possible foreign investors, showing off his prowess in multiple languages. He finds Eun-seok passed out in the stairwell, and his attempts to rouse her end up with him falling on top of her. He didn’t mean the affront, but when she wakes up she immediately starts screaming – and someone with a camera phone records everything. Oh noes.

Eun-seok stumbles back into the party a drunk mess, with Joon-sung following behind. In view of everyone she calls him out for being a pervert and gives him the arm-equivalent of flipping him the bird.

altk01-00276.jpgaltk01-00279.jpg

HAN DA-JUNG (Kim Sa-rang) makes a living as a small-time moneylender, and when money is due, she’s not afraid to resort to violence. In the case with a fruit-stand-owning ajumma, she begins upheaving all the fruit in order to cause a scene. When the ajumma doesn’t relent Bok-gu appears to let her know that if Da-jung is threatening to kill her, then she really will. “She’s Han Da-jung and her nickname is ‘crazy dog,’” he tells the woman, in an effort to scare her.

When that doesn’t work, he puts the fear of God into her as he shows off his knife-wielding skills, and Da-jung eventually gets her money. He follows her around for the night as they go from venue to venue, with Bok-gu acting as Da-jung’s frightening backup to intimidate debtors into paying their dues. Even when they encounter a group of gangsters at a hostess club (is Da-jung a pimp too?), Bok-gu disposes of them like a boss.

altk01-00309.jpgaltk01-00317.jpg

He’s clearly a rebel with his unshaven appearance, Nelly cheek-bandage, and that lollipop he always has in his mouth. But he’s a rebel who’s afflicted by his past, as he covers his ears in an attempt to un-hear the strains of the same song his brother used to sing to him.

Sad violin music plays as Da-jung views a wedding dress through a store window, and we get a closeup of her neck where a minor cosmetic burn remains. Well, that explains why she always wears a neck scarf. (I guess being former Miss Korea doesn’t count for anything when plagued with what looks like, at most, a second-degree sunburn.)

altk01-00332.jpg

Da-jung recognizes a man in the street who once poured hot soup on Bok-gu, and wants to kill him in order to take revenge for Bok-gu’s humiliation. Gentle words from Bok-gu don’t work to get her mind off the revenge train, and it’s only until he shouts at her that she listens. He tells her not to do anything for him anymore, whatever it is. Hmm. I smell a guilt complex.

As he takes her home on a motorcycle, we get small flashbacks into their past. Bok-gu was trapped in a burning building, and Da-jung went to save him. Ergo, the burn mark, and their current connection to each other that seems fostered out of Bok-gu’s guilt over the scars she sustained saving his life.

altk01-00348.jpgaltk01-00349.jpg

The video of Joon-sung falling on top of Eun-seok has gone viral, and it looks much worse than what it was. It’s effectively blown up into a scandal for both Eun-seok and Joon-sung, who’s the youngest son of his chaebol family.

Joon-sung’s father watches him while he gives a perfectly good presentation, and decides that the perfect time to rant against the scandal with his son is in front of a group of foreign investors. Nice. He tells Joon-sung that he has no need for him in his family – he has one good son, and that’s enough for him.

Unfortunately, Joon-sung finds out about the video through one of the French investors. They’re more up on tabloid gossip than he is, apparently.

altk01-00354.jpgaltk01-00364.jpg

Eun-seok’s manager sets to berating Eun-seok for having drank too much on the night in question, while her overdramatic mother stakes out in the middle of the living room, having refused to drink or eat anything all day. When Eun-seok’s sister remarks that this scandal isn’t the end of the world, Mom offers a contrary opinion. “Yes, the world has come to an end. It’s all over now. It’s over.”

Mom then starts crying to her husband over what they’re to do with Eun-seok now that her reputation is ruined. Eun-seok’s brother quips that she’s always wanted to end her acting career anyway, so what’s the fuss? It’s clear that her brother has some resentment for Mom’s money-grubbing ways, considering that she doesn’t seem to be their biological mother and has instead married in for Eun-seok’s money.

altk01-00375.jpg

Joon-sung calls Eun-seok out for a meeting to discuss the scandal. She’s still under the impression that he tried to molest her, but he protests his innocence. He tells her that he doesn’t put his hands on food that isn’t his, which she takes offense to. So what, she’s food to him? Who’s his dessert?

Frustrated, he chides her for calling him out on something she knows he didn’t mean. Joon-sung: “Weren’t you educated in college?” She blinks at him like he’s speaking a foreign language and tells him that no, she never went to college, but since he’s the college graduate he can come up with a solution to their problem.

Joon-sung then asks if she staged everything on purpose to net herself a chaebol – he heard that actresses do it all the time. Eun-seok nearly snorts. “Hey, Tall Boy. Do I look that easy to you?” Ha, I love his nickname. Very fitting.

altk01-00410.jpg

altk01-00421.jpg

We get a montage of shirtless Bok-gu taking out his frustrations at on a punching bag. The punching bag, of course, being a clear metaphor for the inner turmoil his survivor’s guilt has caused him as he toes the line of life and death, the swaying motion a symbol for the vicissitudes of fate and the loss of his brother’s love as Bok-gu plays the role of both spectator and master in a poststructuralist world that threatens to engulf him at every turn. (Because this scene wouldn’t just be here for Rain’s abs, right?)

Even though Bok-gu is a tool, he certainly has no dearth of ladies following him around. But the one who meets him near his house is an interesting case – his demeanor toward her is much different than the way he was toward the girl in the red dress. She wonders why he never called, and tells him that she’s getting married tomorrow. Like the girl in red, however, she too offers to drop everything in her life if Bok-gu would only tell her not to go.

altk01-00432.jpg

He tells her that she can’t cancel her wedding just because he says so, but it’s clear that he does want to say so. They had something special going on, but he let her go because of Da-jung. She knows this too, and tells him, “You can’t love somebody out of loyalty.”

Da-jung is nearby, and hears those words. Ouch. To further drive the point home, his past girlfriend tells him that she knows Da-jung got her burn scar because of him, and that’s why he devotes his life to her like a debtor paying back his debts. But here’s the clincher: “Why do you go through hell with a girl you don’t even love?” Double ouch, because Da-jung can still hear everything. She crumples to the ground with her groceries.

altk01-00453.jpg

Bok-gu’s demeanor goes cold as a means of defense, and he tells the girl that he never loved her. There’s more going on to this scene than what’s being said, but the crux of it is that Bok-gu did love her but is willing to let his own happiness go for Da-jung’s sake, which is a heck of a guilt to put on a poor girl.

He becomes aware that Da-jung has heard everything, but acts as if nothing is wrong. She does the same, and that’s how they cope with their responsibilities toward each other. Da-jung knows what she’s doing to him, but it’s not with any malice that she keeps doing it.

Bok-gu goes off on his own to cool down, and Da-jung looks at her scarred back in the mirror, remembering that girl’s words loud and clear. She knows she’s being loved only out of loyalty.

altk01-00488.jpg

Bok-gu’s roommate, MI-SOOK (Na Yoon), is out of breath by the time he tracks Bok-gu down. He’s got some good news and some exposition: he’s found Bok-gu’s brother, Kang Min-gu, who Bok-gu hasn’t seen in ten years. Eun-seok’s CF plays in the background as this realization sinks in.

And then, suddenly, we’ve skipped the reunion stage to find Bok-gu hanging out with his long lost brother at his rooftop apartment. They share a beer and some feelings, with Min-gu apologizing for leaving his younger brother alone to face the world for so long.

altk01-00507.jpgaltk01-00509.jpg

Bok-gu tells Min-gu that he still resorts to violence, and in fact, it’s what he does for a living now. Is Min-gu going to run away again?

But Min-gu apologizes again, saying that he was completely in the wrong. Well, I guess that’s easy to say after ten years. But if he knows he’s in the wrong now, then why did he stay away so long?

He brings out the playful side in Bok-gu as they splash each other with foam from their beer cans and play like children on the roof. Aww. Moments later, Min-gu sees Eun-seok’s face on a nearby jumbotron with the accompanying headline that she’s now engaged to chaebol son Kim Joon-sung. Ruh roh.

altk01-00520.jpg

Min-gu reaches out his hand as if to cup Eun-seok’s digital face, lost in his own world. Bok-gu jokes that if Min-gu is her stalker, he better give up the ghost now. He should think of his age…

…But Min-gu disappears right in front of Bok-gu’s eyes, falling off the edge of the roof in the blink of an eye.

altk01-00525.jpg

altk01-00528.jpg

COMMENTS

Any and all snark for this drama comes from pure love, because I find this show in the category of being entertainingly bad with flashes of brilliance, rather than just bad. I certainly didn’t feel like I needed sixteen hours of my life back after watching it – because I’m pretty sure that in 2005, at the height of my Rain-love, I thought this was the best drama that ever happened ever in the history of ever, ever.

Speaking of, Rain’s performance pretty much carries the show as this sort of revenge-seeking broody monster who’s actually a pretty bad guy with some really unforgivable moments. Somehow, though, he still remains sympathetic – even when we lose all understanding of why he’s doing what he’s doing when he doesn’t want to be doing it. I don’t think anyone can accuse Rain of phoning this one in – he really gives this role his all, and it shows. In a lesser actor’s hands Bok-gu could have easily been unwatchable, and though the character still toes the line, Rain is a saving grace. (I’m seriously not just saying that as a fan.)

altk01-00459.jpg

As for the conflict, I don’t think it’s a spoiler at this point to say that Bok-gu holds Eun-seok responsible for his brother falling off the roof and seeks to bring an unholy scorched-earth massacre of vengeance upon both her houses. We’re dealing with a revenge tale, but the revenge is based on a Big Misunderstanding and not really a wrong, so it’s hard to get behind Bok-gu’s journey in that regard.

So that’s the premise, but if you’ve ever watched a drama, you know that that little thing called love is going to get in the mix and rile things up. I was initially drawn to this series because of how dark it seemed to skew, and because a love story set in the background of revenge sounded epic (at the time). There’s also something about an anti-hero being the focus of a show that hits all the sweet spots for me, since I love flaws in lead characters and normally loathe perfection. In that regard, Bok-gu certainly delivers. There’s almost nothing in this first episode to really sell him as a likable character to us, other than that he’s unselfishly living his life for others rather than himself. He always chooses to lose in fights. He worships the ground his brother falls on. He might have thought about letting a girl commit suicide because of him, but he saved her in the end. (See, there are some good things here.)

altk01-00165.jpg

A big plus for A Love to Kill was the directing (and the soundtrack, which was exceptionally addicting and made me feel even when scenes didn’t call for it. Seriously, listen to the soundtrack and try to not be moved.) Now that I’ve seen Padam Padam: The Sound of His and Her Heartbeats, I can recognize the special flair Kim Kyu-tae has and that he’s honed it over time while still staying true. (Some of the shots between A Love to Kill and Padam Padam are eerily similar, like the underwater scene.) He has an intimate way with cinematography that puts us both in the thick of action and keeps us far removed from it at the same time – sometimes we see the characters as a dot on a big, beautiful landscape, and sometimes we’re close enough to them that it looks like the camera glass will smash into their face at any moment. This isn’t too flattering for HD cameras circa 2005 – because even the ever-beautiful Shin Mina doesn’t look her best here, when every pore on her face can be counted and named.

Even so, the shots remain organic and interesting, lending A Love to Kill more of a movie-like feel that I really enjoyed. It’s withstood the test of time and can hold its own with modern dramas in terms of visual sharpness and flair, which still amazes me.

altk01-00011.jpg

It seems almost counterintuitive to suggest that this drama, which aims to be a melodrama of melodramas, can actually be pretty fun if you know what you’re getting into. There are a ton of repeated actions and reactions by characters that can be made into one of the easiest drinking games ever – and one that will land you on the floor pretty fast. (Every time Bok-gu cries only one tear, every time Eun-seok breaks a heel, every time she collapses, every time she limps, every time poor Lee Ki-woo has nothing to do, every time someone ends up in a hospital – and yes, every time someone has an eating disorder.) That’s not to say that you can’t take this show seriously, because you can (and I did), but it’s a show with a lot of qualifiers. And one of the most puzzling endings in drama history, for that matter.

But really, you’re coming to this show for one of two reasons: Rain, or because you loved writer Lee Kyung-hee’s previous works (Sang Doo, Let’s Go To School, I’m Sorry I Love You) and are craving some melodramatic, revenge-laden romance. Or just Rain. I can enumerate all the points against this drama while still having that one all-encompassing embarrassing fact remain: I still loved it. It’s a series that doesn’t ask any big questions, one that doesn’t really have any mind-blowing scenes, and one that stays mostly quiet, save for the occasional sound of sobbing. It’s certainly not a love I want to kill, but one that I don’t quite know what to do with, either.

altk01-00012.jpg

• Like 1

Top 7 K-Dramas Chosen by Overseas Fans

by: hotshotlover30 on Mar 12, 2012

Last Month, Arirang TV’s “Showbiz Korea,” which airs in 188 countries, opened up a three-week poll on its homepage, asking netizens to vote for their favorite kdrama. 2,024 international netizens participated in the poll and voted SBS’s “Secret Garden” as their all-time favorite.

“Secret Garden” took home the number one spot with 16.1% of the votes, while “Boys Over Flowers,” “You’re Beautiful,” “Coffee Prince,” “Goong” (aka “Princess Hours”), “Sungkyunkwan Scandal,” and “Full House” followed, beating hallyu classics like “Daejanggeum,” “Winter Sonata,” “Autumn in my Heart,” and “All In.”

When asked which male character they would like as their boyfriend, 15.3% of the voters chose “Secret Garden’s” Kim Joo Won (Hyun Bin). 13.9% of the voters then chose “Secret Garden’s” Gil Raim (Ha Ji Won) as the female character they would like to be reborn as.

What are your favorite kdramas?

Credit : soompi news

[POLL] Who Looks Younger in Their 30s!

Another fun and exciting week for all of us!

This week, we will decide who among our Idols today (ages almost 30 and above) have the Youngest Look in their batch!

Who among them look’s so young? Who among them can still capture the heart of the crowd!

Now, let us choose, Among the 10 listed below, who will win in the [POLL] Who Looks Younger in Their 30s!

Link here : http://k-popexpress.com/poll-who-looks-younger-in-their-30s/

Legend of Rain

2012-03-11

part 1

part 2

*quoted image*

anjjo, ohhh...................Sangdoo, how I missed this drama, dear. We know that Sangdoo was his debut drama last 2003. It explores the struggles and joys of a single father. Rain did a great job as Sang-Doo. RAIN received his Best New Actor in this drama. They also received the Best Couple Award with Kong Hyo Jin, right? I was very impressed with Rain's performance as Sang-Doo, more so because this is his debut. Sang-Doo is a wonderful, loving and patient father, and every scene with his daughter, Bora, is a joy to watch. Except that the ending didn't satisfy me. The OST is amazing, too! Lee Dong Gun was the supporting male lead - it's just that I find his character here boring. The best thing about this drama is Rain's acting. :lol: