Rain _ 비 _ Bi , Official Thread

jinijung

On 11/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, willenette said:

Hi hnfragile this song was from his 2003 2nd Album, RAIN 2. One of the tracks here is Do you Love Me or My Fame. :P

Indeed, that's a song from Rain 2. Bi was still a kid then :) There are few translations of the title, the translation I read in Shin Haechul's special edition with English subtitle was "Now I Am Famous, How Do You Feel?". Then somewhere else it's translated as "Do you love me or my fame?", then "Are you happy with my fame?". It's exactly in this kind of situation that I really want to learn Korean :) for I love this song very much, and I really like the title as translated in the Shin Haechul's special edition. I remember the late Shin Haechul said it was the first song that made him [Shin Haechul] become "fascinated by Bi's charisma", that "the expression, the lyrics, the irony are so interesting".

I like Marilyn Monroe too, but for Bi's songs I always prefer the Korean version to all other versions :)

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/8/2018 at 9:21 AM, willenette said:

** RAVI is a rapper, singer, songwriter and record producer. He had a duet with RAIN in one of the OST's of "Diamond Lover", RAIN's C-drama. It is his song Marilyn Monroe in Chinese and renamed for the OST. Ravi was featured as a rapper in that song. It dominated one of China's top music sites in K-Pop category of QQ Music Chart.  He also collaborated with RAIN in ASTER's song, Champagne.  This song features Rain's vocals and was apparently collaboration between DJ Aster and VIXX's Ravi. 

RAIN WITH RAVI & ASTER

Ravi composed the song, a good song. I really love love love Rain's voice in Champagne, have you tried it, @willenette? Mesmerizing voice! Rain's name is written in Hanja in the credit :( why not in Hangul?

On 11/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, hnfragile said:

Indeed, that's a song from Rain 2. Bi was still a kid then :)There are few translations of the title, the translation I read in Shin Haechul's special edition with English subtitle was "Now I Am Famous, How Do You Feel?". Then somewhere else it's translated as "Do you love me or my fame?", then "Are you happy with my fame?". It's exactly in this kind of situation that I really want to learn Korean :) for I love this song very much, and I really like the title as translated in the Shin Haechul's special edition. I remember the late Shin Haechul said it was the first song that made him [Shin Haechul] become "fascinated by Bi's charisma", that "the expression, the lyrics, the irony are so interesting".

I like Marilyn Monroe too, but for Bi's songs I always prefer the Korean version to all other versions :)

Hi hnfragile, ye, & also one of them is "Do You Like that I'm Famous" - I like Marilyn Monroe, too. It's from the 7th Album of RAIN, RAIN Effect, which was released 2014 when RAIN was still under CUBE. All lyrics of the songs here were all co-written by Rain. He was one of the producers as well.  This song was a sweet serenade to his beautiful woman & now wife, KTH.  :P

21 hours ago, hnfragile said:

Ravi composed the song, a good song. I really love love love Rain's voice in Champagne, have you tried it, @willenette? Mesmerizing voice! Rain's name is written in Hanja in the credit :( why not in Hangul?

*** I couldn't agree with you more - love his voice, too in that song, so husky. About the Hanja credit, IDK why. But you know, my BF's sister son when he went to school in Korea, he was taught Hanja starting in the first grade. He had to keep learning Hanja even until he was in high school. It was counted as a separate core course, same as English, or Music class. My BF's parents told me they learned about Hanja when they were in school. As far as I remember Koreans used to use Hanja just like how Kanji is used in everyday Japanese writing, but then it was later changed to just Hangul. I think it's a good move because reading things with a mix of Hanja and Hangul can just be plain confusing. Hanja is important part of the curriculum in Korea. Hanja is a part of Korean heritage and history. In Korea there are several companies that publish books on learning Hanja and offer tests that you can enroll in which you earn a certificate if you pass. They call this Hanmun (the study of Hanja) - :P

2 hours ago, willenette said:

Hi hnfragile, ye, & also one of them is "Do You Like that I'm Famous" - I like Marilyn Monroe, too. It's from the 7th Album of RAIN, RAIN Effect, which was released 2014 when RAIN was still under CUBE. All lyrics of the songs here were all co-written by Rain. He was one of the producers as well.  This song was a sweet serenade to his beautiful woman & now wife, KTH.  :P

*** I couldn't agree with you more - love his voice, too in that song, so husky. About the Hanja credit, IDK why. But you know, my BF's sister son when he went to school in Korea, he was taught Hanja starting in the first grade. He had to keep learning Hanja even until he was in high school. It was counted as a separate core course, same as English, or Music class. My BF's parents told me they learned about Hanja when they were in school. As far as I remember Koreans used to use Hanja just like how Kanji is used in everyday Japanese writing, but then it was later changed to just Hangul. I think it's a good move because reading things with a mix of Hanja and Hangul can just be plain confusing. Hanja is important part of the curriculum in Korea. Hanja is a part of Korean heritage and history. In Korea there are several companies that publish books on learning Hanja and offer tests that you can enroll in which you earn a certificate if you pass. They call this Hanmun (the study of Hanja) - :P

I have that CD, Rain Effect :)

I told you his voice keeps getting better! Thank you for the explanation of Hanja in Korea's curriculum. Still, Rain and are like the brand, you know, why use in the credit? Anyway, 'nuf with the complaint, let's enjoy another good song of Rain. Maybe one of my new year resolutions (I just don't know which year yet :P) should be to learn Hangul :D

12 hours ago, hnfragile said:

I have that CD, Rain Effect :)

I told you his voice keeps getting better! Thank you for the explanation of Hanja in Korea's curriculum. Still, Rain and are like the brand, you know, why use in the credit? Anyway, 'nuf with the complaint, let's enjoy another good song of Rain. Maybe one of my new year resolutions (I just don't know which year yet :P) should be to learn Hangul :D

hnfragile, GO for it, dear!  Who knows you will be reading in Hangul perfectly extremely soon! Korean uses Hangul alphabet as its writing system. Some people think hangul means the Korean language but it's the name of the Korean alphabet letters. 한 (han) means 'Korean' and 글 (geul) means 'letter'.  You are on the right track because the first step in learning Korean is to learn Hangul. :P

1 hour ago, willenette said:

hnfragile, GO for it, dear!  Who knows you will be reading in Hangul perfectly extremely soon! Korean uses Hangul alphabet as its writing system. Some people think hangul means the Korean language but it's the name of the Korean alphabet letters. 한 (han) means 'Korean' and 글 (geul) means 'letter'.  You are on the right track because the first step in learning Korean is to learn Hangul. :P

Mainly for typing out in google translate, many of the times I can't copy and paste haha. Taking small step first, right? I actually am serious about learning Korean :) but it's going to be a long term project ...

45 minutes ago, willenette said:

RAIN singing Instead of Saying Goodbye  at 2018 Lotte Family Day

This is another favorite of mine :) 

7 minutes ago, hnfragile said:

Mainly for typing out in google translate, many of the times I can't copy and paste haha. Taking small step first, right? I actually am serious about learning Korean :) but it's going to be a long term project ...

This is another favorite of mine :) 

hnfragile, I like the song, too - Hahaha - it seems that we have similar likes in his songs.  This song was from his 1st album (Bad Guy), his debut album.  This album sold well in South Korea, leading to him winning many Best New Artist awards. :P

53 minutes ago, willenette said:

hnfragile, I like the song, too - Hahaha - it seems that we have similar likes in his songs.  This song was from his 1st album (Bad Guy), his debut album.  This album sold well in South Korea, leading to him winning many Best New Artist awards. :P

Oh I finally found a physical copy of this album, it's difficult 'coz I decided to look for it quite late and the album was released so long ago and not all websites deliver to my place - that's the price I pay for being late in becoming a fan of his music :P. Am so happy, waiting for delivery :)

I brought your quote here because we're talking about Rain's music :) so we could keep this thread active as well :)

41 minutes ago, willenette said:

hnfragile, hahaha - ye, we move on to Sunshine. “Sunshine” is a track, which was just released last December last year under My Life album, his 1st mini-album. Of course, the lyrics is different from September 12. Here's the Sunshine lyrics :  (English Translation) :P

My heart pounds
All of this makes me happy

I don’t know since when
But feels like I have everything
I can’t fall asleep because of the butterflies
Everything feels like a dream

You are a light in my life
That was once tired and exhausted
You’re my paradise
You erase all of the bad memories of the past

You’re my Love
After a long wait
There’s only one sunshine
Shining under the sun
This start is for you

Was it you?
That made me like this?

From A to Z
I like everything about you

I’m so happy, I could fly
Everything feels like a dream

You are a light in my life
That was once tired and exhausted
You’re my paradise
You erase all of the bad memories of the past

You’re my Love
After a long wait
Shining under the sun
This start is for you

Let’s get on up, alright
Smile for me
Show me yourself

Let’s get on up, alright
Let’s start now

This feeling today
I wanna share it with you forever

You’re my Love
After a long wait
Shining under the sun
This start is for you

In this mini-album I also like Goodbye and Again and yes I have a strong gravitation towards ballads. I love Rain's voice in ballads. But we've decided to stay on the happy tune of Sunshine for the season. I like the simple joy and happiness in Sunshine so much - the lyrics and the melody and the dance. The song is just so relaxing, really.

14 hours ago, hnfragile said:

I brought your quote here because we're talking about Rain's music :) so we could keep this thread active as well :)

In this mini-album I also like Goodbye and Again and yes I have a strong gravitation towards ballads. I love Rain's voice in ballads. But we've decided to stay on the happy tune of Sunshine for the season. I like the simple joy and happiness in Sunshine so much - the lyrics and the melody and the dance. The song is just so relaxing, really.

Hi hnfragile,  it's OK -  "Goodbye" was a song featuring Jo Hyun Ah of Urban Zakapa. The "Again", he co-wrote this with Kim Tae Wan. RAIN's voice when he sings in ballad is powerful. The huskiness of his voice is candy to the ear especially "The Best Present". I love it when he did that Michael Jackson impression in a fedora (and/or Usher) in his music video, later switching it up into an all-white ensemble. :P

7 hours ago, willenette said:

Hi hnfragile,  it's OK -  "Goodbye" was a song featuring Jo Hyun Ah of Urban Zakapa. The "Again", he co-wrote this with Kim Tae Wan. RAIN's voice when he sings in ballad is powerful. The huskiness of his voice is candy to the ear especially "The Best Present". I love it when he did that Michael Jackson impression in a fedora (and/or Usher) in his music video, later switching it up into an all-white ensemble. :P

I love love love The Best Present, it was a very good comeback, the song, the dance, the voice, the arrangement, the MV - beautiful! It's an amazing love song and wedding song.

I always think that joy and happiness are simple. When we start complicating things is when there is misunderstanding, miscommunication, sorrow, heartache etc. etc. So I absolutely love the beautiful and sweet simplicity in The Best Present and Sunshine - can listen to them non-stop. Similar to his acting, Rain's voice in ballads always does the trick for me - I connect so well with the emotion he conveys.

+edit to add+ oh I just remember that in Carefree Travelers Rain said he couldn't reflect the tragic feeling of "Again" properly because he was/is so happy [with his life] :) That's okay, I still like the song, I said enuf with sadness, right? :P

22 hours ago, hnfragile said:

I love love love The Best Present, it was a very good comeback, the song, the dance, the voice, the arrangement, the MV - beautiful! It's an amazing love song and wedding song.

I always think that joy and happiness are simple. When we start complicating things is when there is misunderstanding, miscommunication, sorrow, heartache etc. etc. So I absolutely love the beautiful and sweet simplicity in The Best Present and Sunshine - can listen to them non-stop. Similar to his acting, Rain's voice in ballads always does the trick for me - I connect so well with the emotion he conveys.

+edit to add+ oh I just remember that in Carefree Travelers Rain said he couldn't reflect the tragic feeling of "Again" properly because he was/is so happy [with his life] :) That's okay, I still like the song, I said enuf with sadness, right? :P

Hi hnfragile  this is PSY-produced single for RAIN.  The song is about KTH. NICE song & a smooth ballad. In one of the lyrics it says “the biggest/greatest joy.” While crafting the song, Rain asked Psy to include these words, as it is a reference to the hanja for “big/great joy,” which can be read as “Tae Hee.” - Here are the lyrics of the song - The lyrics of the song are so sweet. They’re clearly aimed at Kim Tae-Hee, telling her how much RAIN values and appreciates her. It’s wonderful to see a person especially a celebrity to declare so publicly how much their partner means to them, especially when that celebrity is as famous and popular as Rain. I find the chorus so incredibly romantic & stand out; RAIN telling his wife that he wants to dream the same dream and wake up next to her. It is a solid song. I've never listened to a song as many times as this one! When I heard the song, I told myself it's a proposal! :P

Rain – The Best Present (최고의 선물)

Just when I was about to faint from the exhaustion
Just when I was about to slowly give up
You recognized me
You held onto me
Yes, it was you

People tell me
“You’re nothing special”
Then you told me
“I only have you”
Whatever situation I’m in
Wherever I’m wandering
You smile at me

You’re the best present this world gave to me
I want to dream the same dream as you
Your eternal name
My greatest joy
I want to open my eyes with you
And close my eyes with you on the same day

I promise you, I’ll protect you with all I am
I promise you, I’ll hug you with all I am
Wherever you go
I’ll make that path your path
So I can reach you
You smile brighter than the sun
You are whiter than a wedding dress

I shed tears of joy
I feel the scent of those tears
When you walk toward me

Your eternal name
My greatest joy

On your fourth finger
On top of that ring
I promise you forever
Everything

Your eternal name
My greatest joy

*** The MV for the song is simple; it just focuses on Rain’s dancing in an empty room.  The video is edited to appear as if it was all one take when it really is multiple takes. I love the colorful lighting. It's my favorite aspect in the MV. And he’s the focus of this MV; you can only but notice him. :P

Watch: [MV] RAIN(비) _ The Best Present(최고의 선물)

@willenette The Best Present is a proposal! :) Psy did a very good job in producing this piece, he understands Rain well.

I love the last two sentences the most

To me, "I want to grow old with you" is always the best declaration of love. It's easy to love someone when he/she is young, healthy, beautiful, successful and all that. It's the growing old bit that's the test :)

It's a pity that The Best Present wasn't included in the list for voting to choose songs that Rain will sing at the Seoul fan meeting, I think he wants to avoid questions because it WILL trigger questions haha. That's okay, he deserves his privacy.

1 hour ago, willenette said:
*** The MV for the song is simple; it just focuses on Rain’s dancing in an empty room.  The video is edited to appear as if it was all one take when it really is multiple takes. I love the colorful lighting. It's my favorite aspect in the MV. And he’s the focus of this MV; you can only but notice him. :P

When Rain is on the stage/screen, my dear, he IS the focus. The man has wonderful natural stage/screen charisma.

Archived