Got Questions? Ask Away!

Guest j.adore

Guest j.adore

Helloo everyonee (: whoo haven't been here for a while.

The spring semester is ending soon and this summer i think i will be going to Korea again for another internship.

I'm crossing my fingers that i'll get it because if i don't i have to stay in the states for summer school.bleh xP

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say good luck to everyone who auditioned and who plans to audition!!

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JunRong

Hi everyone i have a question about SM auditions.. (sorry if this was already asked)

if i wanna audition as a singer i heard they make u dance too, but some people say that its only sometimes? x-x

and hows the system? like is it kinda like a tournament (u have to pass round 1, 2, 3 etc...). Or is it more like if u go there and make a good impression they'll call u back?

And if they do call u back then is it right after the others leave the room or is it by phone/email like a month after..?

Thanks in advance ! :lol:

Guest MyDear1

I auditioned for a korean company and I was told to stay after I performed. I guess it was because they liked my performance. However I didn't know how it all worked since it was my first time so I didn't stay. So my question is did that mess up my chances? Or will the company reconsider and try to contact me if anything?

Guest MsSmiley

@ JunRong -

` Since you're trying for SM, I guess I could help you out since alot of the information can be found floating around this area of Soompi.

1/. Everyone has to do a 'Rhythm Test' after performing what they wanted to perform. The judges turn on the music and you are expected to dance to it. Of course, you don't have to but it's suggested that you do since it shows that either you have confidence and isn't scared to show off or that you're a really good dance. Either way, it comes down to keeping beat with the music. You know how some people can't sing/dance to beat? Yeah, that's what the 'little dance' after is for.

2/. From the feedback of the people that went to the Global Auditions, there are 3 rounds that you have to pass. First, of course, is the initiave stage where you show that you have talent or you don't. Second stage is when you are chosen to sing again to demonstrate further talent. The third stage is the same but in a more secluded area. After that, you are whisked off to Korea where you will begin your training (if you are allowed).

3/. People were told to stay as the group left the room. Then, they would tell you to re-sing the song whilst they take several shots of you (yes, there's a cameraman). After that, they will contact you about the location that you will undergo the second stage.

Hope that helped! ^0^

- MsSmiley

Guest JunRong

Thanks so much MsSmiley :lol:

if u dont mind answering one more question....

if i SOMEWAY get through 1st round then how long time will it take till 2nd? o:

and from 2nd to 3rd? :huh:

i kinda live far away so im planning on skipping school for sometime to go there. I just have to know for how long time.. :x

Guest j.adore

JunRong-

Like MsSmiley answered, you are highly encouraged to dance. At these big auditions, it is not anything big, they just turn on a random music and you are not dancing by yourself. You are usually with other people and everyone sort of free styles to whatever music comes on. even if you don't think you can dance, you SHOULD do it because you not even trying will look very bad to the judges.

I am not 100% sure how SM does their auditions but generally, if you pass the first round, then you are asked to stay. So there are different "rounds." If you make a good impression at the general audition (which is like round 1) then they usually ask you to stay for round 2. If you make this round, then usually you will get a call back through phone or email and you schedule to meet them at another time for the third round. Some companies like to have another round after this but it depends on the nature of the audition as well as the company. if there are a round 4, then usually it will be held in Korea.

As for your second questions, you will usually know right away if you passed round 1. Because there will still be a relatively large number of people ar round 2 as well so they try to hold round 2 right after round 1 or the next day. The time to find out if you passed round 2 to round 3 depends, but in the case that you do pass to round three, they'll probably arrange you to meet somewhere else. So I wouldn't plan on skipping school for a very long time. If the audition is during a weekend, I think there is no need to skip school.

MyDear1-

If you didn't stay when they asked you to do so, they probably saw it as a sign that you were not interested in their company so it may have ruined your chances. The judges and staffs are busy people and unless they want you bad enough, they are not going to take the time to search you down. If they were really impressed with your performance and really want you to consider joining their company, they will reconsider and contact you. If they just asked you to stay to go through round 2 and were just interested, then I doubt they will reconsider to contact you. What you could do is try to contact them and say you were asked to stay but because of some reason, you didn't stay... and see where you could go from there.

@ j.adore

wow i am so jealous of you!! but i have so much i want to ask!

okay im chinese..like full blood chinese, but i really want to get into korean industry, do i have a chance? even if i got the talent behind it?

and seriously,, how much do looks matter? cus im not doing so well in that department ~.~" i think all ive got is talent...=="

my aim is YG,, but then i dont really mind JYP...the reason i pick YG is because i love hiphop..and well they don't focus as much on looks...i feel they are more a talent based company rather...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AHEAD OF TIME,,,,~~

Guest j.adore

Boe-

Currently in the Korean entertainment industry, other Asians have a fairly good chance of making it to a company especially if you have a lot of talent. It is likely that you will be put into a group once you are getting around to debut because placing a member of other ethincity is actually a company's way of targeting other Asian countries. Look at Hankyung! So to answer your question, you do have a chance if you can sing well. No matter what anyone tells you, looks do matter! Even if the company doesn't care about looks, the rest of the public does! YG is talent based but they also look a lot at your passion and dedication. All the stories about some of their singers having to audition multiple times just to get through first round doesn't come from nothing. Both YG and JYP are big one of the big entertainment businesses in korea that are looking to go global so either way, they are both good companies to audition for. JYP is talent based as well!! And just one advice: you shouldn't limit yourself to just one company unless you are 100% sure that you want to be in that company.

Guest ledolce

Hi! :D

Does YG entertainment really look at the demos people send it in?

Not that I'm saying they don't ... I'm just curious since they don't do walk-in auditions.

And if you do visit their building and give your demo do they let foreigner in ...

Like those who don't speak Korean language that well?

Guest lovetosing43

This forum is really great. Answered most of my questions too ^^

Um, would it be advised that you email your demo/your audition if you can't go to the audition place? And how long does it usually take for let's say.. SM Entertainment to reply or YG Entertainment?

Guest yuki68

this is for everyone

i was wondering if those famous companies in Korea

like JYP, SM, YG etc

will mind if u have acne

i mean not that severe ?

J'ADORE J.ADORE!

:D

u rock.

and well, i kinda have a question too :o

i hope school isn't going to kill u too much.

i'm actually presenting a speech tmrw...

<_<

well, so here goes.

the entertainment company (assuming you get in)

will pay for all the living necessities, right?

like the housing and hot water, food...

will the company (like SM!!) pay for that?

or do we have to pay for it :(

and after we debut, when we're paying SM back,

where do we get the money =O

i think what i'm trying to ask is if SM or any entertainment

company in general will give us financial support

in not only our training but our needs.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

@ j.adore

THANKS SO MUCH,,, wow you totally just erased my fears...

i mean,, i was BORN chinese, what the heck can i do right?? and i remember reading mr boone [brosEnt]'s post about how it is much harder to make it in skorea as a foreignerr,,, but thank you so muchh!!!! and were u talking about the chinese member in SUJU??? representinggg<3

XD

and thanks for telling me about looks,,, it sucks but i was hoping it wouldnt matter [hoho silly me.] but i mean,,, everybody looks better with a bit of make up, lighting and retouching right?? do companies want to see that tho? when i send in my demo? or go as natural as i possibly can??

and and one last question,, hehe

about picking only one company for my target,,, seriously maybe cus im foreign i dont know many companies =X

i only know about JYP SM AND YG,, and out of the three, i pick YG as my favourite, JYP second, and SM third;; even tho im going to SM auditions anyways this year just for some critiquing....

what other companies are open to asian foreignerss??

Guest Sweet_Asian819

Erm... I'm not really sure if this has been asked, but if it has, sorry ><"

I know that everyone is given a chance to audition for Korean companies whether it's singing, acting, modeling, or dancing.

I mainly see foreign EAST Asians (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) making it in Korean companies.

I'm wondering if SOUTHeast Asians can make it in the industry >__<

Can they? o.o

I'm Filipino and I've been mistakened as an East Asian (I am a bit part Chinese).

I want to know from your opinion how high of a chance is there for us southeastern Asians :/

Be honest ><"

Guest j.adore

Ledolce-

I have no associations with YG so I would not know if they look at the demos. I would think/assume that they do because demos are a good way to get trainees without having to travel far. If you go to the building, they don't let anyone in who doesn't have a pass. I'm saying this on the basis of most of the entertainment companies in Korea, so I can't say 100% for YG but I would assume they are the same way. When you try to even get into the building, you need an access pass for the door to unlock and most secretaries are not generous enough to listen to your situation and decide if they should let you in or not. So I would suggest NOT going to the building. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you may be a foreigner. This is true for all. My pass for the company I worked at was stopped the next day after my last day. They are pretty strict with this stuff.

lovetosing43-

If you can't go to the auition, definetly send your audition tape! If you want to be a singer, you HAVE to make the effort. I have no idea how long it would take, I would assume it depends on the company and the season you send the tape in. There are certain busy seasons for the entertainment business too so if you send it in then, I would think that it takes longer. I'm not sure.

yuki68-

If the acne is bad enough for someone's first impresson to be affected, it might be a disadvantage but if you have a good voice, it won't matter. If you have a good voice with acne, they'll see how great of a singer you can be. But if you have acne and mediocre voice, they might pick someone with a prettier face with the mediocre voice. But if it is not that severe, it shouldn't matter. Everyone thinks all the korean celebs have perfect skin but they really dont- heavy make up + lighting + photoshop equals perfect skin for A LOT of the celebs.

AnthonyKkoKko

Yes, your company will pay for your necessities while you are training. Especially if you live in an apartment with the other trainees they will take care of your necessities. I'm pretty sure SM will make sure you get hot water and have a roof over your head... I'm not sure I understand your last question. What do you mean where do you get the money?? Your earnings will come from all the shows you perform at, the CDs you sell, CFs, etc. You split that profit with the company.When you are a beginner, the company will take a larger ratio of the total profit because you are "paying them" back for the training.

Boe-

The company wll see your potential. They try to see how pretty you would look with plastic surgery, make up, lighting, etc. The company just wants to see you at your best- that is up to you. For music companies, I think the 3 you have is pretty good because a lot of the big companies attempt to bring trainees of other race. DSP is similar to SM so they will probalby be open to foreigners.

Sweet_Asian819

There are not that many Southern Asians in Korea. So it is true that it would be harder for you. But that does not mean it's impossible. There has to be also an incentive for companies in Southeast Asia for them to be really interested in Southeastern Asians... but it is still possible so I would encourage you to try multiple times.

@ j.adore

alrightt,, so DSP JYP YG SM...4 sweet =)

and yeaaa, i'm just really scared that if my looks aren't "good enough", then I have to get some major plastic surgery and end up like MJ...=="

and I'm really scared of getting nose surgery[i have an exeptionally big nose...but apparently that means i'll do well in business...haha] especially after hearing about people's silicon bridges breaking and then getting suffocated to death ...

especially cus i when i sleep, i roll around like crazy, i'm afraid of dying in my sleep;; i've got sooo much to live for =(

thank you so so much.. i think i'm going to add you as a friend so I can contact you :P *stalker*

jkkkk <3

Archived