Got Questions? Ask Away!

Guest j.adore

Guest KhmerChinboiy

1. Do you think i have a shot at making in to kpop industry like nickhun ? cuz I'm 75% Cambodian and 25% chinese . you can check out my picture on my soompi profile and give me comment on my look ?       ( plz be honest even though its bad i'm not going to be mad at you cuz i need the truth)

2 You from the USA right ? so how do you contact your family?

3. how much money do you make if you debut ? Example : you sing at a concert and you got paid like 500$ but don't your company going to take some of those money away from you since they pay for your cloth and stuff like that so at the end how much you going to get?

4. can you check out my youtube video and give me critique on my voice and what i should do and what type of singer voice fit me the best

here video of me singing tae yang i need a girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufp06Ak-CII

and last video of me singing yesung it has to be you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPslBMPB-Y&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

5.  IF i make it as a trainee how i'm going to go to school and maintain my crazy schedule and do they pay you money if you want to go to college or you pay by yourself?

how long is trainee and is it everyday or what?

sorry for asking way too much question

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hae-Jin

I only have one question... is it possible to be too tall for the korean industry? its always been on my mind because for a korean and a girl i'm pretty tall. I'm like only point something away from 173cm or already 173cm which is around 5' 8"(if i got the math right)...and that's taller or the same height as a few of guys in the industry, would that be a problem or a plus?

haha yeah that's all i have to ask and its a really weird question to ask....I really like my height but at the same time it can be weird at times.

Guest Hae-Jin

1. Do you think i have a shot at making in to kpop industry like nickhun ? cuz I'm 75% Cambodian and 25% chinese . you can check out my picture on my soompi profile and give me comment on my look ? ( plz be honest even though its bad i'm not going to be mad at you cuz i need the truth)

2 You from the USA right ? so how do you contact your family?

3. how much money do you make if you debut ? Example : you sing at a concert and you got paid like 500$ but don't your company going to take some of those money away from you since they pay for your cloth and stuff like that so at the end how much you going to get?

4. can you check out my youtube video and give me critique on my voice and what i should do and what type of singer voice fit me the best

here video of me singing tae yang i need a girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufp06Ak-CII

and last video of me singing yesung it has to be you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPslBMPB-Y&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

5. IF i make it as a trainee how i'm going to go to school and maintain my crazy schedule and do they pay you money if you want to go to college or you pay by yourself?

how long is trainee and is it everyday or what?

sorry for asking way too much question

I'll try to help :)

1. You have a shot but only if you are talented or something about you makes them like you, but as a non-korean your chance will be and always will be significantly lower than a koreans. Also because you don't have that "east asian" look...you look southeast asian for sure(i know lots of them so i can tell)

2. I'm sure you can call them or skype/webchat(maybe...) but you won't have very much time to keep in touch alot because you'll be barely sleeping enough from practice that i'm sure you'd rather sleep your good 3-5 hours more than calling them often(but idk it depends on you...). You could also always use the handy mail system or email at a pc bang/internet cafe.

3.Yeah the company provides alot and for sure in a korean company you won't be making that much money. It also depends on how you debut(the amount of group members and such).

4. You got potential... but i feel like you force yourself to sound like the singer or to make certain sounds. You should try to sound like yourself. I think you need more practice so you can control you voice better :) I'm sorry if this is bad advice i'm not good at singing tips xD

5. They only pay for you college if you debut or they really really like you but trainees often drop out for college because its more important to them. You go to school but for most people they drop out because the schedule is TIGHT. Like i said before you might only get 3-5 hours of sleep on a average day. I heard some people stay longer to practice more and get even less or no sleep at all. This will be for atleast a year(if you're lucky) if not it can span to 6 years if you're not ready yet but at that point i wouldn't be surprised if they drop you or you drop out...

I'm not sure if i'm much help at all but this is my knowledge from lurking around soompi or other sites haha

Guest KhmerChinboiy

I'll try to help :)

1. You have a shot but only if you are talented or something about you makes them like you, but as a non-korean your chance will be and always will be significantly lower than a koreans. Also because you don't have that "east asian" look...you look southeast asian for sure(i know lots of them so i can tell)

2. I'm sure you can call them or skype/webchat(maybe...) but you won't have very much time to keep in touch alot because you'll be barely sleeping enough from practice that i'm sure you'd rather sleep your good 3-5 hours more than calling them often(but idk it depends on you...). You could also always use the handy mail system or email at a pc bang/internet cafe.

3.Yeah the company provides alot and for sure in a korean company you won't be making that much money. It also depends on how you debut(the amount of group members and such).

4. You got potential... but i feel like you force yourself to sound like the singer or to make certain sounds. You should try to sound like yourself. I think you need more practice so you can control you voice better :) I'm sorry if this is bad advice i'm not good at singing tips xD

5. They only pay for you college if you debut or they really really like you but trainees often drop out for college because its more important to them. You go to school but for most people they drop out because the schedule is TIGHT. Like i said before you might only get 3-5 hours of sleep on a average day. I heard some people stay longer to practice more and get even less or no sleep at all. This will be for atleast a year(if you're lucky) if not it can span to 6 years if you're not ready yet but at that point i wouldn't be surprised if they drop you or you drop out...

I'm not sure if i'm much help at all but this is my knowledge from lurking around soompi or other sites haha

thanks for ur critique  i take it as a good thing not a bad thing..

1. i really appreciate it what kind of song do u think it fit my voice cuz my voice change alot and it depent on what kind of song i sing like when i sing yesung it has to be you my voice is different than i sing tae yang i need a girl? so i really need help on what type of song suit my voice more ?

2. how much does Korean pop star make on average liker per month or per year doesn't matter ?

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

thanks for ur critique  i take it as a good thing not a bad thing..

1. i really appreciate it what kind of song do u think it fit my voice cuz my voice change alot and it depent on what kind of song i sing like when i sing yesung it has to be you my voice is different than i sing tae yang i need a girl? so i really need help on what type of song suit my voice more ?

2. how much does Korean pop star make on average liker per month or per year doesn't matter ?

^ I could answer #2 to for you...Korean Kpop Idols make less wages or around a minimum wage worker..Meaning about $16,000 a year if you are in a group and probably around $20,000 if you are solo...I rounded up the numbers in American USD's so if you look it up in won the numbers look more enflated than they are.

Guest KhmerChinboiy

^ I could answer #2 to for you...Korean Kpop Idols make less wages or around a minimum wage worker..Meaning about $16,000 a year if you are in a group and probably around $20,000 if you are solo...I rounded up the numbers in American USD's so if you look it up in won the numbers look more enflated than they are.

yeah its kinda less money but i dont think its the bad ? is it after the company taken away your money for your clothes,trainee life and u make that much money right? and r u a trainee?

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

yeah its kinda less money but i dont think its the bad ? is it after the company taken away your money for your clothes,trainee life and u make that much money right? and r u a trainee?

lol since you are young (I'm guessing you ar probably around 16 years old I presume) you would think that $16,000 a year is alot of money...Trust me as you get older and you obtain more responsibilities and accumulate more stress and bills to pay, $16,000 a year is nothing but earning peanuts. Meaning after back taxes and the company you are under takes half of that chunk out of your pay it could be even less than that...That's why it's an estimate.

And no I am not a trainee but I know how much they make from articles I read through the korean online newspaper and such.

Guest KhmerChinboiy

lol since you are young (I'm guessing you ar probably around 16 years old I presume) you would think that $16,000 a year is alot of money...Trust me as you get older and you obtain more responsibilities and accumulate more stress and bills to pay, $16,000 a year is nothing but earning peanuts. Meaning after back taxes and the company you are under takes half of that chunk out of your pay it could be even less than that...That's why it's an estimate.

And no I am not a trainee but I know how much they make from articles I read through the korean online newspaper and such.

oh ok thank u for your information . i just want to know about everything before i step on the door at the kpop entertainment world.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

oh ok thank u for your information . i just want to know about everything before i step on the door at the kpop entertainment world.

Yeah it's good that you are questioning alot...I wish more people who audition for this stuff

qould actually do some research like what you are doing...Their are too many people who come in here with a huge fantasy that being a Kpop idol is all fun and rainbows..But in actuality it's nothing but blood, sweat, tears and frustrations.

Guest KhmerChinboiy

Yeah it's good that you are questioning alot...I wish more people who audition for this stuff

qould actually do some research like what you are doing...Their are too many people who come in here with a huge fantasy that being a Kpop idol is all fun and rainbows..But in actuality it's nothing but blood, sweat, tears and frustrations.

. Aren't like korean people use to be harsh thing? cuz it seem that mostly in asian country we are very hard on each other. like the parent are very strick and hit their children and stuff u know . to me i'm used to it so i dont think its bad and people tell me i can't do this and that but i never get hurt or anything but maybe i'm a guy thats why i dont get hurt on those thing easily.  but mostly i think Asian have developing thick skin through our environment.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

. Aren't like korean people use to be harsh thing? cuz it seem that mostly in asian country we are very hard on each other. like the parent are very strick and hit their children and stuff u know . to me i'm used to it so i dont think its bad and people tell me i can't do this and that but i never get hurt or anything but maybe i'm a guy thats why i dont get hurt on those thing easily.  but mostly i think Asian have developing thick skin through our environment.

Well aren't you living Cambodia or somewhere in Asia for that matter? You probably live in a different society than what most auditioners who are American bred in the US. You already know about how it will be hard since you live kinda in the same social environment similar as Korea...Meaning conservative, strict up-bringing. Also it has to do more with the individual and how they will understand and take up with the training. Even if an Asian-American was brought up in a household of strict, conservative upbringing, the social environment outside of their family circle gives them the deep impression and molds the individual about how to handle daily life. Interaction with friends, observing the laid back mode of most Americans, teachers who are more like your colleagues than actual authorities and etc. Once they move to an extreme different social setting as Asia, they will have a huge culture shock and the work ethic they thought they had really can't compare to some of the locals that really study/work their butts off to another extreme.

Guest KhmerChinboiy

Well aren't you living Cambodia or somewhere in Asia for that matter? You probably live in a different society than what most auditioners who are American bred in the US. You already know about how it will be hard since you live kinda in the same social environment similar as Korea...Meaning conservative, strict up-bringing. Also it has to do more with the individual and how they will understand and take up with the training. Even if an Asian-American was brought up in a household of strict, conservative upbringing, the social environment outside of their family circle gives them the deep impression and molds the individual about how to handle daily life. Interaction with friends, observing the laid back mode of most Americans, teachers who are more like your colleagues than actual authorities and etc. Once they move to an extreme different social setting as Asia, they will have a huge culture shock and the work ethic they thought they had really can't compare to some of the locals that really study/work their butts off to another extreme.

yeab i agree .even i'm in America i can't even hang out with friend only at school lol.  but i dont want to talk bout dis since this thread is not about about the Culture of asian its an audition tips stuff.

Guest j.adore

xXmoonsterXx-I can't really say for sure... but I would hope that they do? But at the same time, I'm sure they get a LOT of emails so I'm a bit doubtful that they have time to sort through all those auditions and look at all the emails they get.

Thanks EJM for answering questions ^^

Weisss-Um for this question, you'd be better off asking someone who has sent an audition to JYP or SM b/c I don't know the exact logistics of how email auditions work for them. There should be plenty of people on this forum who have auditioned and can answer your question.

ShrimpCrackerrr- I doubt there's like a "minimum" height.. but I see plenty of girls who are under 160cm

KhmerChinboiy-

1. I like to think that Nickhun is a special case b/c he is actually very good looking and has a personality thats really likable on screen. so I wouldn't recommend exactly base your possible chances based on khun. Based on your pictures, which is tiny on my netbook, I'd probably say you are average. So just on your look and race, i can't really say you have a shot or not.

2. i'm not from the US. I'm originally from Korea and just studied in the US.

3. well it really depends on what it says in your contract. A new singer usually has a contract of from what I have heard (3:7, 7 being the company, 2:8)... from like VERY generous places and when you have a name for yourself 4:6. And these percentages also differ on the type of income and so on. So if you were a solo artist and you made $500 from a concert, you would typically get 100$ and the company would get $400 if the ratio was 2:8.

4. I'm at work so I could only listen for a bit but just as piece of advice, don't try to imitate the singer's voice. That is a criticism that a lot of judges will give if you try to follow the singer's voice. Try to find your own voice to work with. You need to work on your key because your out of pitch frequently. And hold the notes longer on key.

5. i don't know how old you are but if you are in highschool, you'll still have to go during the day and go straight to practice. Trainees go to school but they aren't the most academic ones, they barely get by. For college, i'm sure you probably have to pay for your own tuition? I don't know. Training is usually at least 2 years but can be as long as 7-8 as jokwon often talks about. Yes it's everyday for several hours but after lessons, most trainees stay on their own will to practice. Attending lessons is the minimum you can do and it'll probably get you nowhere. You have to put in the extra effort of practicing to debut.

And to answer your additional questions, rather than worrying about what song fits your voice, work on the voice and your singing skills first. you can make any song fit your voice if you have a good voice to work with. you have an average voice, so it really won't matter what kind of song you sing, it doesn't sound much different. so really it's not about finding a song that fits your voice but being able to sing any kind of song to sound good. As for the second, an average idol probably makes around what Angelbaby said.. but you have to think about the idols that make more than that to raise the average and the idols that don't make the average and are pulling the average down. I know some idols barely making $12000 a year.

Hae-Jin-I think your height isn't a problem. there's plenty of tall girls in the industry right now and your not really THAT tall. I'm probably as tall as you and yeah people say i'm tall but i don't stand out like a sore thumb anywhere. Your height isn't a problem.

And thanks to Angelbaby for answering questions as well~

@j.adore - Nevermind I actually did as you said and found out that way :3 But, thanks for looking at my question! I don't really have any questions at the moment, since I've read A LOT including all 23 pages in (this) your tread xD And researched other for almost everything I possibly could ask about. Right now I'm just hoping I can get through the needle eye of auditions, since I'm Eurasian (Half Thai/Danish) -w-'

Guest KhmerChinboiy

xXmoonsterXx-I can't really say for sure... but I would hope that they do? But at the same time, I'm sure they get a LOT of emails so I'm a bit doubtful that they have time to sort through all those auditions and look at all the emails they get.

Thanks EJM for answering questions ^^

Weisss-Um for this question, you'd be better off asking someone who has sent an audition to JYP or SM b/c I don't know the exact logistics of how email auditions work for them. There should be plenty of people on this forum who have auditioned and can answer your question.

ShrimpCrackerrr- I doubt there's like a "minimum" height.. but I see plenty of girls who are under 160cm

KhmerChinboiy-

1. I like to think that Nickhun is a special case b/c he is actually very good looking and has a personality thats really likable on screen. so I wouldn't recommend exactly base your possible chances based on khun. Based on your pictures, which is tiny on my netbook, I'd probably say you are average. So just on your look and race, i can't really say you have a shot or not.

2. i'm not from the US. I'm originally from Korea and just studied in the US.

3. well it really depends on what it says in your contract. A new singer usually has a contract of from what I have heard (3:7, 7 being the company, 2:8)... from like VERY generous places and when you have a name for yourself 4:6. And these percentages also differ on the type of income and so on. So if you were a solo artist and you made $500 from a concert, you would typically get 100$ and the company would get $400 if the ratio was 2:8.

4. I'm at work so I could only listen for a bit but just as piece of advice, don't try to imitate the singer's voice. That is a criticism that a lot of judges will give if you try to follow the singer's voice. Try to find your own voice to work with. You need to work on your key because your out of pitch frequently. And hold the notes longer on key.

5. i don't know how old you are but if you are in highschool, you'll still have to go during the day and go straight to practice. Trainees go to school but they aren't the most academic ones, they barely get by. For college, i'm sure you probably have to pay for your own tuition? I don't know. Training is usually at least 2 years but can be as long as 7-8 as jokwon often talks about. Yes it's everyday for several hours but after lessons, most trainees stay on their own will to practice. Attending lessons is the minimum you can do and it'll probably get you nowhere. You have to put in the extra effort of practicing to debut.

And to answer your additional questions, rather than worrying about what song fits your voice, work on the voice and your singing skills first. you can make any song fit your voice if you have a good voice to work with. you have an average voice, so it really won't matter what kind of song you sing, it doesn't sound much different. so really it's not about finding a song that fits your voice but being able to sing any kind of song to sound good. As for the second, an average idol probably makes around what Angelbaby said.. but you have to think about the idols that make more than that to raise the average and the idols that don't make the average and are pulling the average down. I know some idols barely making $12000 a year.

Hae-Jin-I think your height isn't a problem. there's plenty of tall girls in the industry right now and your not really THAT tall. I'm probably as tall as you and yeah people say i'm tall but i don't stand out like a sore thumb anywhere. Your height isn't a problem.

And thanks to Angelbaby for answering questions as well~

thanks j.dore i really appreciate your comment expescially  the critique that u give me on my voice .

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MyNameIs_Luka

Ok so I have a lot of questions;

first off: I have a really bad case of stage fright...and it's like REALLY bad >O< Let's say I somehow pass the audition and become a trainee,

would they teach me how to get over that fear and anxiety or would they just train me to sing better and etc..?

--btw Thank you in advance ^O^

Hi I can answer the first one for you...In a nutshell they will NOT teach you to overcome stage fright and anxiety...Especially if your fear and anxiety are severe...Their was one YG family ex-trainee named SO-1 who was to debut with Big Bang...But his anxiety and stage fright was so bad, the company kicked him out even though he was one of the best singers that was supposed to debut in Big Bang. So you should probably get that fixed before you can even audition.

• 1 month later...
Guest Stephanie.wen1

Uhm so I auditioned for the JYP online auditions a couple of days ago. I got both automatic emails saying ''Your files will be deleted in 7 days... I will contact you in 3 week..blablabla.'' I was wondering if they actually checked the auditions? Although its not even been a week (I know I'm impatient~), I still feel like they don't even look at the auditions. How will I know if I'm accepted or rejected? Do we even get a rejection letter? Did some people actually get selected as trainees through the online auditions?

(Btw, these questions only apply for JYP)

Thanks~ :)

Archived