Got Questions? Ask Away!

Guest j.adore

Guest i-3iebaa.pk

I have a question...

What's the talent in Judger's mind? i want to be a singer and right now i'm 20 years old

what are they looking for

when you audition they are pay attention with your voice when you singing or professional or something?

you have to have a good voice or they just look at people that can performance very well and have confident

or they looking for someone who can be improve in a few years and can be a singer and do they want someone who are pretty and beautiful?

i just want to know what's the main point that they pick up someone to train in their company

Ps.I want to audition for SMtown

Thank you for you kindness ^^

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi!

i reckon its really nice what your doing and would to ask you a question ^^

just say i want to become a singer, so i audition for singing, of course. But just say if i audition for dancing as well.

And do really good in it, does that mean i cant become a singer than? like instead a become a dancer.

do you understand the question? cause im reading it myself and abit sketching of what i just typed lol.

Guest Kiwi Blush

Kiwi Bush-

I guess I did misunderstand your question.. sorry ^^;;

I think the answer to your question really depends on how you look at it... because there are a lot of successful people in both. I went to your 411 page and I assume (if I am wrong, so sorry, correct me please!) that you are Chinese b/c you said you speak it in 3 different dialects. Considering your race, if you were to try out for a Korean company, I would say singing would be more eaiser to become successful for you. The Korean entertainment companies are targeting other countries in Eastern Asia with their artists so you could have more an advantage for singing rather than acting. Because for the acting, the Korean language is crucial and you'll only be able to land limited number of roles even if you do get as big as Daniel Henney or Dennis Oh... I don't know which companies you want to audition for, so if you were to target the Chinese industry, then things would be a different story... I'm just basing my answers on the Korean industry... but just as far as how the current industry is going, I would say singing... Artists like Hankyung have sort of started the rough work and SM has shown that it is possible so whatever you choose to do, Good luck!

Wahh...thanks! You always make everything clear and simple =D. <333

Sorry for bothering you again...XD.

If you know anything about Chinese ent. companies...um, yeah I'm Chinese, but besides that XDD;;, how would it be a different story? I'm also auditioning in Taiwan for acting/singing/MCing ^^. Specifically HIM International.

Guest inyeon.

Thank you, j.adore, for answering so many questions. I'm sure they have helped many a lot. You explained many of the questions that I've had. ^^

Guest snowflower111492

hi do companies look for a certain type of voice when their looking at singing auditions in real life or through audition packages?

for example: do they prefer powerful voices or subtle voices , high, low etc. ? thank u :)

Guest kittychang

HI!!!^^

JUST WANT TO SAY

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!

this is so much help and gives so much info.

so nice of you to take the time.

one quick question :

similar to i-3iebaa.pks question.

whats a good potential person(for a singer)? especially for sm?

Guest j.adore

BeatLennon-

Seventeen is still a good age to audition. Although it's not considered "young" to audition these days, you still have a lot of chances to make it- with enough talent of course. When I was working, the company accepted a 23 year old male as a trainee so there are always chances. Just because 아이돌 groups tend to be young doesn't mean you can't make it. But I would definetly advise you to audition as soon as possible; you don't get any younger sitting and worrying about it!! Because if you are 17 right now and have 2-3 training, you'll still be 19-20 when you debut so you are still at a good age. Good luck!

i-3iebaa.pk-

Well talent is um very simple... Good singing, good voice. They are not necessarily looking for a perfect singer (and I believe that no one is a perfect singer); judges are professionals so when they hear you, they think that if you can improve your singing to the level they want during your training, they'll consider your audition more seriously. I've mentioned the qualities they look for in auditions so just look back a couple replies... it's all a very simple yet complicated process. I don't quite understand your next question... when you audition, you don't need to be a professional but they definetly listen to technical aspects of your singing as well as the other qualities that aren't so technical. You need to have both good voice, good performance, and confidence. Even if you have all the confidence in the world, if you aren't good at singing, then judges aren't going to accept you. It's a combination of all. And all these again ties again with the fact that they DONT look for perfect singers. They understand that most people who audition don't get professional help, so that's why you train before debut. All singers go through at least 6 months of training period. So to sum that up, yes they look at you having a good voice and performance and all but they already know that there needs to be training even for good singers at audtions. So they don't necessarily look for "someone who can improve in a few years" but they look for someone who can sing well (with training) in the industry's standards. And it definetly doesn't hurt if you are beautiful with talent. It'll definetly be a major plus if you are pretty. SM town does tend to put some emphasis on your looks but it definetly isn't all of it. And even the pretty people often get plastic surgery after becoming trainees. Plastic surgery has become such a trend in Korea... so your natural looks aren't everything b/c companies just think about how you can look AFTER plastic surgery.

asee-

When you audition to be a singer, there is going to be a dancing part as well. So if you want to be a singer, audition for singing. If you audition to be a dancer, it doesn't mean that you can't be a singer. No matter how you get into the company, you are going to have basic training in all parts so don't worry about it... but there is a dance part to the singing audition so if you want to be a singer then audition for singing. If you just want to dance, then audition to be a dancer.

Kiwi Bush-

Sorry I don't know anything about Chinese companies... I was just saying it'd be a different story b/c you are Chinese, so if you were to target the Chinese industry, then I would think you have more chances of success. In the Korean industry, as I've said, for a non-Korean, singing probably would be easier to rise to the top b/c the acting industry has such limited roles for non-Koreans... so even if you do get big, you have little roles you could play... However, I was just thinking that if you audition for a Chinese company, you would have equal chances in both singing and acting since you don't have that language barrier anymore.

snowflower111492-

No they don't necessarily look for a certain type of voice... it depends on how your voice fits with the singing. There are all kinds of different singing styles and voices out in the music industry so really, companies don't have a set type of voice they choose... although each company's artists have a similar style of music.

kittychang-

There is no good potential singing... it's all up to the judges. You can't DEFINE good singing or even potential. Sure, everyone's singing will improve with 2 years of professional training but it's just how good the end skill would be... If you are tone deaf to start with, then obviously, you won't get very far... but if you have a good voice and for example, a good vibrato but your pitches can be improved, then judges will consider that. It all depends. I can't really define it for you. But SM definetly has the idol pop star image...

^^ thank you so much for your reply!!

you really cleared a lot,

but one thing...lol sorry.

like you said if i want to be a singer audition for singing, and for dancing audition for dancing.

but it doesn't hurt to do both right?

i know their is a dance section with the singing, but i kind of what to show them more.

Guest j.adore

asee-

Well usually open auditions don't have time for everyone to audition multiple times. If you are that confident with your dance skills, the judges will be able to see you stand out. If they do let you, I guess it doesn't hurt but to be honest, they are not going to want to spend so much more time than necessary on one person. I think it'd be best if you'd judst audition for singing but it's up to you.

Guest cardamine

If you want to audition for acting, where would you

get scripts?? And how would you exactly find a good

audition for something with 1 person? cause you have

to audition by yourself right. any ideas on scenerios for acting auditions

ok thanks!!

it was just thinking because im stronger in dancing than in singing, well thats what i think.

but even if i audition for dancing but not singing, theirs still a chance for them to let me become a singer right?

oh yeah and sorry if im annoying with the question...

Ok! I have a question!

Is it true that some entertainment companies in Korea actually hit their trainees when they mess up? If so, why, I mean, is it because they think of the trainees as students (i heard somewhere that teachers in Korea are allowed to physically discipline students in school)? Also, once these trainees debut, even become big stars, can they still get physically punished if they mess up?

ok, so that was like 3 questions lol! I'm just curious because I hear so many rumors about SM ent...

Guest angel_cutie

^

haha i dont wonder that much about it

but yah..i want to ask that too..

i think its a rumor but then every country is different

so i dont know

Guest joong33

Hey this is a great thread!

I have a question...:

Does it matter how you look like? I mean if you're not very attractive (not pretty, underweight, overweight, etc.) and you want to audition, do you think the entertainments would actually accept you (If you have an amazing voice)? Would they look past through your "cons"?

it's a weird question i know but a lot of people seem to think you'd be put down by the companies. Since you were at one of the entertainments, have you seen any non-beauty trainees?? lolz... i sound weird asking this question ^___^

thx ^.^

Guest i-3iebaa.pk

thank you very much for your kidness

i'm not reading yet but anyway thank you so much

i think you reply all of the question from your heart for help everyone thank you

Guest j.adore

cardamine-

I'm not sure where exactly you could get scripts... probably somewhere online but you would probably have to dig around. Some came with scripts from famous movies or dramas as well. And yes, you should audition by yourself. A lot of people who audition usually have scripts that show a variety of emotions (happiness -> anger -> sad, etc) so I would encourage you to find a script that you could act out (memorized preferably) and show a variety of your acting. For example, you are happily on your way to meet your boyfriend but you spot him walking with another girl holding hands... something like that, you could act on your own. You don't need other actors acting as your boyfriend saying the lines to you. You just act like he is there and that he is saying stuff to you. You just deliever your lines and make the judges believe it. Good luck!

asee-

Companies don't really want a lot of just "dancers." Because just being dancers, you can't really get far into the industry. And there are so many backup dancer groups that companies sign with so they don't need seperate company dancers in most cases... so I'm sure that even if you audition as a dancer, they will "let you" become a singer... MANY strong dancers have been picked in singing auditions so they can see your talent during singing auditions even if you are stronger at dancing than singing. The judges are professionals, keep in mind. Anyway, it's up to you what you want to audition for... but if they are considering to recruit you for their company, they are probably going to want to hear singing at auditions even if you applied as a dancer.

sarang ailove-

The hitting does happen... but not like the rumors which goes along something like Lee soo man himself hit whoever and etc... If trainees are hit during their training periods, it's most likely that they were hit by their instructors (choreographer, vocal teacher, acting teacher, etc). The trainees don't have their own managers, or staff until debut and people high up in the company does not pay attention to everyday progress of all the trainees. The reason for this physical discipline is various... maybe the trainee's attitude, lack of effort, etc... but it doesn't just happen and it doesn't happen as badly or as often as the rumors say. But I can't say that it doesn't happen. Once trainees become big stars, the company most likely will not hit them... if they are big stars, it means major profit for the company and who would be dumb enough to mess with someone that brings in big profit to their company? But anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it... it's not as big of a deal as people make it in rumors and it doesn't happen that often and it also depends on what company you are under. t's really how YOU do as a trainee.

joong33-

Sorry to say but yes looks matter. People in denial will tell you other wise but looks are important as well! If you have an AMAZING voice then companies probably won't let you go off. They'll probably accept you and recommend plastic surgery among other things such as weight loss/gain and etc. Also, the chances of you debuting solo if you are not "pretty" by the industry's standards are low... The trend seems to be these days is to have one or two good singers in a group with one or two who doesn't sing as well but is pretty. So if you have amazing talent, then looks are somewhat "negotiable." However, if you have like mediocre talent but you are not pretty, then no, you won't stand out to the judges. On the other hand, if you have mediocre talent but you are pretty, then the judges will notice you. The entertainment business is a shallow place... there are SO many celebrities (even top star celebs) that don't have talent but got so successful in the industry because they are pretty.

i-3iebaa.pk-

Aw thank you! I hope that people find my answers somehwat of a help!

sarang ailove-

The hitting does happen... but not like the rumors which goes along something like Lee soo man himself hit whoever and etc... If trainees are hit during their training periods, it's most likely that they were hit by their instructors (choreographer, vocal teacher, acting teacher, etc). The trainees don't have their own managers, or staff until debut and people high up in the company does not pay attention to everyday progress of all the trainees. The reason for this physical discipline is various... maybe the trainee's attitude, lack of effort, etc... but it doesn't just happen and it doesn't happen as badly or as often as the rumors say. But I can't say that it doesn't happen. Once trainees become big stars, the company most likely will not hit them... if they are big stars, it means major profit for the company and who would be dumb enough to mess with someone that brings in big profit to their company? But anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it... it's not as big of a deal as people make it in rumors and it doesn't happen that often and it also depends on what company you are under. t's really how YOU do as a trainee.

Ahh...thank you for answering! Yeah, I was thinking that the rumors are overexaggerated...like a group of big guys being sent to beat a particular singer :rolleyes: . And that makes sense that the company wouldn't hit the big stars of their company...i was trying to explain that to a friend lol! Thanks again!

thank you soo much right now. i really appreciate your help. no more questions lol :)

your answers help me alot, and im pretty sure alot of soompiers, what your doing is awesome!

Guest j0annuuh

I have a question. so you dont have to be korean or be able to speak korean cause they will most likely teach you right? and btw. i am learning.

I just wanted to know if you make it into a company such as brosent. how will you get picked up by other entertainment industries such as yg, jyp or sm?

as in how are you discovered by other entertainment companies?

also if you cant dance well. will they train you until you can? same with reading music? and is it safe to give away your social security number to them?

Archived