Got Questions? Ask Away!

Guest j.adore

Riri-

Companies...

Ah thankyou, so what i had originally thought was pretty much the correct gist of it.

Thankyou again! And thankyou for answering my question so clearly, much appreciated ^_^

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest C0N5T4NC3

Thanks for your response. I'm also wondering if glasses can ruin my chances of becoming a model.

Should I wear glasses to the audition? And also what about heels?

Guest a_dreamer143

Thanks for your response. I'm also wondering if glasses can ruin my chances of becoming a model.

Should I wear glasses to the audition? And also what about heels?

if you just want to be a CF model not a professional runaway model lol, what qualities do you need?

thanks in advance ^^

Guest fanfre

thanks. you just answered some of my sis' questions. and i forgot to ask you, what would you recommend to be in a singing audition tape?

Guest choco_moose

umm i had a few questions

so um if you dont get plastic surgery even if they do recommend it like your against it

does that mean they will kick you out?

also if they spend like so much money on you, but then kick you out or you quit do you have to pay that money back to the company?

lastly, i think

if you dont really know korean

do they teach that to you first?

thanks for the help sorry for asking so much questions

When you go in to audition, is the singing accapella or can you bring in a CD with an instrumental and sing with that? Can you bring lyrics with you (if your Korean isn't good) or is that generally frowned upon?

Guest coconuttiez

When you go in to audition, is the singing accapella or can you bring in a CD with an instrumental and sing with that? Can you bring lyrics with you (if your Korean isn't good) or is that generally frowned upon?

From personal auditioning experiences: bringing along lyrics and reading off of them is looked upon unfavorably. For one, it makes you look like you are not confident in your choice of song and/or unprepared. Also, it prevents the judges from getting a good overall impression of your "stage presence", as you will be too busy looking down at the paper. It would be smarter to select a piece you know well enough (and are comfortable with) to perform without assistance, including an instrumental.

Guest fanfre

i got another question about sending in singing audition clips--hope you're not bored with my questions, haha. :P

but...i'm planning to do a song that starts off quite quietly at the beginning. so, i MIGHT end up using a mic (from a karaoke machine to amplify the sound) for that particular song. would you recommend me doing that or would you recommend singing the song without the mic? i'm afraid that if i don't use a mic, my singing won't be loud enough for the camera.

and also, would you recommend singing acapella in the clips? or with instrumentals? i'm leaning towards instrumental because...sometimes, music adds to the effect of the song. and assuming the instrumental won't overpower my voice, what would you recommend?

and another question for my sis' acting clip: would you recommend acting alone? or with another "actor" if her act involves another character? and would the surroundings make a big difference? let's say...it's a school scene in a classroom, would it be vital to actually BE in a classroom surrounding?

ahh, i ask soo many questions, haha. >.<

EDIT

one more question--i might send in a demo, so all my questions are about demos. >.< but...what would you recommend to be on the "application?" or more like, a bio? it's going to be my first time, so i have absolutely no idea of what to really include.

yea i agree w/ what coconuttiez said, but then when i was at JYP auditions (the extra recording, not the audition where everyone is) there was this girl, i guess she auditioned for singing (she had a rly good voice) and she asked the judge if she could use her lyrics and the judge was like "sure!" (well i think she seemed like she was perfectly ok w/ it but i don't understand korean haha) and like that girl did alot of stuff too, they asked her to make alot of poses and she sang like 3 songs and she danced, so.

but usually i wouldn't recommend you using it, just pick a song ur comfortable w/.

oh and usually they don't let u bring instrumentals to audition w/, so sing in acapella.

Guest Kiwi Blush

For being a CF model, what training do they put you through and what are their expectations?

As for being an actress, I've heard that Asian directors/producers like to bribe the actresses for a good role in a drama/movie by having sex with them...is that true? :ph34r:

And what are the requirements/expectations for an actress?

Do you think it's easier to become a singer than becoming an actress?

Please answer my questions if you have time. Thank you for helping us out. ^^

Guest j.adore

C0N4T4NC3-

Unless you look better with glasses, no. Even if you do have glasses on at auditions, they're gonna ask you to take it off so they can see your face better.

I don't know how tall you are so I'm not sure about the heels. But if it does help you look more slim and makes your legs stand out, then go ahead and wear it.

a dreamer 143-

For CF models, frankly, the face counts a whole lot. No makeup company is going to want a regular looking girl to advertise their products- they want a drop dead gorgeous girl who people will watch TV and be sort of get the message like, "If you use our products, you can be like me!" sort of vibe. Acting also is needed b/c CFs but now a days, there really isn't a whole lot of professional cf models anymore. Most bigtime CFs are dominated by top star celebrities and the others start as CF models but go into acting b/c you can't get a whole lot famous or get a lot of work just as a CF model.

fanfre

Like I've said before, fulfill all the requirements that the company has but don't be so long that you are boring. Same thing with the singing tape- sing, dance, and do whatever the company asks on the application and don't go overboard with extras trying to impress the judges. Judges review so many that they don't want to be watching something extra that they don't need to watch if it's not gonna affect their decision on whether you make it or not. And the things that are gonna determine whether you make it or not is basically your talent, looks, stage presence, charisma... and they can usually tell it from your singing and dancing. Using or not using a mic isn't going to make your audition a whole lot different (basically it's not going to determine whether you make it or not) b/c your singing is going to be the same. It really won't matter too much. But probably, I would sing louder without the mic. If they really need to, they can turn up the volume. Sing acapella, no instrumentals. I know that music may help with the feel of the song but they want to hear your voice alone. That's why at auditions, they ask you to sing acapella most of the time. Acting alone would be best b/c you want your sister to stand out not another person. Having another person in there is going to divide the judge's audition somewhat. No the surroundings won't make a difference. That's the thing with ACTING. She maybe standing with just a white wall behind her but make the judges believe that she's in a classroom. Auditions for acting aren't held in some special place, they're in just a regular room... so the surroundings will not matter. It's her acting that counts. Same thing goes for the application as the demos. Give them everything they want but not everything about you that it's boring. Don't they usually have an applciation that you just fill out and send in? I'm pretty sure there isn't some essay part in an audition application (correct me if I'm wrong) but as far as I know there isn't much liberty to write a whole lot in the application.

choco moose-

Just because you don't get plastic surgery doesn't mean that you will get kicked out of the company. However, if you get into a company, you'll realize how many beautiful people are out there, even the ones that haven't done much surgery. The reason why the celebs that we think is pretty continue to get plastic surgery is because they are surrounded by people prettier than them so they feel the pressure to always keep up. And to be quite honest, when you are newbie, you have like no power over the company and the industry is not a happy bright place... so in the end, like 9 out of 10 people end up getting the surgery. Companies aren't going to be stupid enough to kick you out when they've spent a lot of money on you... and they won't spend that much money on you unless they know for sure that you are probably going to debut and make it big. That's why it's so hard to get into a company and stay there. I'm not exactly sure what the rules are on quitting the company... but I know it's not that easy to just be like "i quit" and leave the company. If you are thinking about the quitting part before you even begin, then think again if this is what you really want. Sure I can tell you all about these processes but it's a whole another story when you are actually there. And yes, they will hire a tutor to help you learn Korean.

j00n-

Don't bring your instrumentals. You don't have that much time during audition for the judges to be changing instrumental CDs for everyone who comes around to audition. It might be a different case when you pass through first and second round and are getting like final private auditions... then they may even want you to sing with an instrumental but for just like an open first round auditions, prepare to sing acapella b/c you won't be able to sing with an instrumental. And about the lyrics, what coconuttiez said is very true. It'll take away your whole vibe and charisma if you are trying to read off lyrics. Select a song that you can learn the lyrics to and can perform it well. With the practice you should be doing for audition, memorizing lyrics shouldn't be a problem.

Kiwi Bush-

About the expectations of a CF model refer to the 2nd answer in this post. Training for a CF model is going to be like basic acting training. Training in acting, face expression... also you'll probably go under a diet as well as be recommended to go under some plastic surgery. Just being honest here. I'm not saying you are ugly or need the surgery but it's just the industry- you can never be pretty enough. As for the sex question, I'll say that it does and doesn't happen. Not every actress has slept with the director to get a good role. But it does happen. Sure a lot of people are in denial about it, but it is true. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. For the answer to your third question, refer to the last post on page 1. Not one or the other is easier to become, and neither are easy. If you are good at singing and dancing, then becoming a singer is going to be "easier" for you. If you are good at acting, then being an actress is going to be easier for you. Being on this forum, being a singer may sound easier b/c you just hear a whole lot about trainees as singers but it really isn't... it's what you are good at and what you want to become. You have to find your passion and what your talents are. If you are asking me which one is easier, then sorry to say but, you aren't ready to face up to the challenges.

Guest Kiwi Blush

Kiwi Bush-

About the expectations of a CF model refer to the 2nd answer in this post. Training for a CF model is going to be like basic acting training. Training in acting, face expression... also you'll probably go under a diet as well as be recommended to go under some plastic surgery. Just being honest here. I'm not saying you are ugly or need the surgery but it's just the industry- you can never be pretty enough. As for the sex question, I'll say that it does and doesn't happen. Not every actress has slept with the director to get a good role. But it does happen. Sure a lot of people are in denial about it, but it is true. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. For the answer to your third question, refer to the last post on page 1. Not one or the other is easier to become, and neither are easy. If you are good at singing and dancing, then becoming a singer is going to be "easier" for you. If you are good at acting, then being an actress is going to be easier for you. Being on this forum, being a singer may sound easier b/c you just hear a whole lot about trainees as singers but it really isn't... it's what you are good at and what you want to become. You have to find your passion and what your talents are. If you are asking me which one is easier, then sorry to say but, you aren't ready to face up to the challenges.

Thanks for your answer but I think you misunderstood my question...

Shall I restate it...generally, do more people become successful in singing than acting? I can take the challenge (training w/e) but I need to know how far I have to go to reach my goal.

I have a family to worry about you know. It's not just about challenges. D=

Guest a_dreamer143

C0N4T4NC3-

Unless you look better with glasses, no. Even if you do have glasses on at auditions, they're gonna ask you to take it off so they can see your face better.

I don't know how tall you are so I'm not sure about the heels. But if it does help you look more slim and makes your legs stand out, then go ahead and wear it.

a dreamer 143-

For CF models, frankly, the face counts a whole lot. No makeup company is going to want a regular looking girl to advertise their products- they want a drop dead gorgeous girl who people will watch TV and be sort of get the message like, "If you use our products, you can be like me!" sort of vibe. Acting also is needed b/c CFs but now a days, there really isn't a whole lot of professional cf models anymore. Most bigtime CFs are dominated by top star celebrities and the others start as CF models but go into acting b/c you can't get a whole lot famous or get a lot of work just as a CF model.

fanfre

Like I've said before, fulfill all the requirements that the company has but don't be so long that you are boring. Same thing with the singing tape- sing, dance, and do whatever the company asks on the application and don't go overboard with extras trying to impress the judges. Judges review so many that they don't want to be watching something extra that they don't need to watch if it's not gonna affect their decision on whether you make it or not. And the things that are gonna determine whether you make it or not is basically your talent, looks, stage presence, charisma... and they can usually tell it from your singing and dancing. Using or not using a mic isn't going to make your audition a whole lot different (basically it's not going to determine whether you make it or not) b/c your singing is going to be the same. It really won't matter too much. But probably, I would sing louder without the mic. If they really need to, they can turn up the volume. Sing acapella, no instrumentals. I know that music may help with the feel of the song but they want to hear your voice alone. That's why at auditions, they ask you to sing acapella most of the time. Acting alone would be best b/c you want your sister to stand out not another person. Having another person in there is going to divide the judge's audition somewhat. No the surroundings won't make a difference. That's the thing with ACTING. She maybe standing with just a white wall behind her but make the judges believe that she's in a classroom. Auditions for acting aren't held in some special place, they're in just a regular room... so the surroundings will not matter. It's her acting that counts. Same thing goes for the application as the demos. Give them everything they want but not everything about you that it's boring. Don't they usually have an applciation that you just fill out and send in? I'm pretty sure there isn't some essay part in an audition application (correct me if I'm wrong) but as far as I know there isn't much liberty to write a whole lot in the application.

choco moose-

Just because you don't get plastic surgery doesn't mean that you will get kicked out of the company. However, if you get into a company, you'll realize how many beautiful people are out there, even the ones that haven't done much surgery. The reason why the celebs that we think is pretty continue to get plastic surgery is because they are surrounded by people prettier than them so they feel the pressure to always keep up. And to be quite honest, when you are newbie, you have like no power over the company and the industry is not a happy bright place... so in the end, like 9 out of 10 people end up getting the surgery. Companies aren't going to be stupid enough to kick you out when they've spent a lot of money on you... and they won't spend that much money on you unless they know for sure that you are probably going to debut and make it big. That's why it's so hard to get into a company and stay there. I'm not exactly sure what the rules are on quitting the company... but I know it's not that easy to just be like "i quit" and leave the company. If you are thinking about the quitting part before you even begin, then think again if this is what you really want. Sure I can tell you all about these processes but it's a whole another story when you are actually there. And yes, they will hire a tutor to help you learn Korean.

j00n-

Don't bring your instrumentals. You don't have that much time during audition for the judges to be changing instrumental CDs for everyone who comes around to audition. It might be a different case when you pass through first and second round and are getting like final private auditions... then they may even want you to sing with an instrumental but for just like an open first round auditions, prepare to sing acapella b/c you won't be able to sing with an instrumental. And about the lyrics, what coconuttiez said is very true. It'll take away your whole vibe and charisma if you are trying to read off lyrics. Select a song that you can learn the lyrics to and can perform it well. With the practice you should be doing for audition, memorizing lyrics shouldn't be a problem.

Kiwi Bush-

ohh thanks!!is it a HUGE disadvantage if you dont sing that well :[

Guest ventura

Hmm this is more of an emotional question but, are singers/models/actors generally HAPPY? Are they happy doing what they do, being with staff, being in these companies? Or is it like how many people say, just a corrupt industry where companies only care about making money off thier talents, and not the people themselves? I understand that every industry is corrupt to a certain extent and that everything isnt all happiness and rainbows, but I just want to know if these people are generally happy. If so many people want to be involved there must be hope, a nice life, SOME sort of goodness in entertainment, kind people who care, etc. Thank you ^^

Guest j.adore

Kiwi Bush-

I guess I did misunderstand your question.. sorry ^^;;

I think the answer to your question really depends on how you look at it... because there are a lot of successful people in both. I went to your 411 page and I assume (if I am wrong, so sorry, correct me please!) that you are Chinese b/c you said you speak it in 3 different dialects. Considering your race, if you were to try out for a Korean company, I would say singing would be more eaiser to become successful for you. The Korean entertainment companies are targeting other countries in Eastern Asia with their artists so you could have more an advantage for singing rather than acting. Because for the acting, the Korean language is crucial and you'll only be able to land limited number of roles even if you do get as big as Daniel Henney or Dennis Oh... I don't know which companies you want to audition for, so if you were to target the Chinese industry, then things would be a different story... I'm just basing my answers on the Korean industry... but just as far as how the current industry is going, I would say singing... Artists like Hankyung have sort of started the rough work and SM has shown that it is possible so whatever you choose to do, Good luck!

a dreamer 143-

Well it depends on what you are auditioning for. If you are auditiong to be a singer, then yes not being able to sing well will be a HUGE disadvantage, actually 99% out of the time, if you can't sing well, you won't make it by trying to become a singer... but didn't you ask about cf models? if you are trying to be a model, then no, the singing won't be a disadvantage.

j00n-

I'm not sure about this so I would ask around in the other auditions thread, but I would think they say it on the application or somewhere on the company's website? I have no idea... but just to estimate, I would only say one... maybe 2 at the maximum. Because you basically get to sing one song at the actual auditions too so I would think they would only want you to sing one song... but definetly verify with someone else on this...

ventura-

Of course, there are the nice life and goodness in entertainment industry... when you get to the top. There are a lot of people that are happy in the industry soley for the reason that they are living their dreams, they live doing what they love doing. If I had the love for singing, dancing and performing... then i would love my life as a singer. However, there are people that are not happy because the entertainment world is dark and corrupt. There are so many shady things going on that only the insiders know... I would like to believe that companies care about the people as well as the talents and profit... I've met JYP once when he was in Korea and just talking to him made me feel like he truly cared for his artists... It's just a hard life from debut til you get big. I won't name who told me this but a certain celebrity told me that they couldn't wait to get out of their company because they just felt so trapped and enslaved in the company... schedule after schedule without rest... but at the same time, the person told me how much they love what they do because everytime they get on stage, they just feel that happiness.. so I guess it all depends... sorry if this is sort of an iffy answer but I mean there is always gonna be happy and not so happy ones wheverever you go... lol

Guest a_dreamer143

Kiwi Bush-

I guess I did misunderstand your question.. sorry ^^;;

I think the answer to your question really depends on how you look at it... because there are a lot of successful people in both. I went to your 411 page and I assume (if I am wrong, so sorry, correct me please!) that you are Chinese b/c you said you speak it in 3 different dialects. Considering your race, if you were to try out for a Korean company, I would say singing would be more eaiser to become successful for you. The Korean entertainment companies are targeting other countries in Eastern Asia with their artists so you could have more an advantage for singing rather than acting. Because for the acting, the Korean language is crucial and you'll only be able to land limited number of roles even if you do get as big as Daniel Henney or Dennis Oh... I don't know which companies you want to audition for, so if you were to target the Chinese industry, then things would be a different story... I'm just basing my answers on the Korean industry... but just as far as how the current industry is going, I would say singing... Artists like Hankyung have sort of started the rough work and SM has shown that it is possible so whatever you choose to do, Good luck!

a dreamer 143-

Well it depends on what you are auditioning for. If you are auditiong to be a singer, then yes not being able to sing well will be a HUGE disadvantage, actually 99% out of the time, if you can't sing well, you won't make it by trying to become a singer... but didn't you ask about cf models? if you are trying to be a model, then no, the singing won't be a disadvantage.

j00n-

I'm not sure about this so I would ask around in the other auditions thread, but I would think they say it on the application or somewhere on the company's website? I have no idea... but just to estimate, I would only say one... maybe 2 at the maximum. Because you basically get to sing one song at the actual auditions too so I would think they would only want you to sing one song... but definetly verify with someone else on this...

ventura-

Of course, there are the nice life and goodness in entertainment industry... when you get to the top. There are a lot of people that are happy in the industry soley for the reason that they are living their dreams, they live doing what they love doing. If I had the love for singing, dancing and performing... then i would love my life as a singer. However, there are people that are not happy because the entertainment world is dark and corrupt. There are so many shady things going on that only the insiders know... I would like to believe that companies care about the people as well as the talents and profit... I've met JYP once when he was in Korea and just talking to him made me feel like he truly cared for his artists... It's just a hard life from debut til you get big. I won't name who told me this but a certain celebrity told me that they couldn't wait to get out of their company because they just felt so trapped and enslaved in the company... schedule after schedule without rest... but at the same time, the person told me how much they love what they do because everytime they get on stage, they just feel that happiness.. so I guess it all depends... sorry if this is sort of an iffy answer but I mean there is always gonna be happy and not so happy ones wheverever you go... lol

thanks :] yeah iam more into modeling and dancing than singing..but since korean companies seem to be more into singers [sm,jyp etc] i thought its a big no no no if u cant sing dat well :/ thanks!

Guest BeatLennon

Should I just give up hopes of being a singer because I am old to debut now.. I am 17 this year. I see 아이돌 groups debuting when they are around 15~18

ㅠ.ㅠ

Guest a_dreamer143

^ OH puhlease :] dont give up.17 is not even old juz cuz artists these days have been debuting when theyre 13 14 doesnt mean ud be too old when you debut.giving up just because u feel OLD is not a good reason for you to stop and lose hope.if you think you have what it takes go for it.good luck.

Archived