[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest cimechang

... Damn, some of you guys are BRUTALLY mean when it comes down to Hyunjoong.

So lemme sum up what I'm about to say: If his acting is SOOOO bad that it makes you cringe, why do you still watch it. I'm sure BOF doesn't need your sorry eyes watching the drama, really.

What makes me cringe is that people that literally squashes a person's hard work (despite how you feel about the person ability to act). Hyunjoong is trying -- don't take aspect away from him...

Do you want the director to bring Meteor Garden's Hua Ze Lei (if you think Hyunjoong is doing a bad job... LOL)

Embrace the Jihoo now because honestly, it could've been worse IMO.

Personally, Hyunjoong's acting isn't bad, considering singer-became-actor.

QUESTION

- Is Han Chae Young coming back to the drama? Jihoo needs some loving ... =(

Well said! I agree 100%. For some reason everyone seems to be hating on Hyun Joong right now, saying things like: "KBS made a mistake choosing him as Rui/Ji Hoo", "Hyun Joong isn't natural enough and trys too hard to act" and "The only reason why they chose Hyun Joong was because he looked like Rui". Such harsh words. I think Hyun Joong is doing an excellent job portraying Ji Hoo. When he's on the screen I forget he is Hyun Joong because he becomes Ji Hoo for me. JD's soulmate, the one who always answers her hearts emergency signal, the one who will get JP and JD back together. I wish people would stop talking so much about how Hyun Joong won't succeed after BOF due to his so called poor performance. Everyone can say all they want but in the end it's Hyun Joong that's laughing all the way to the bank to cash his 40billion won check, haha.

Hyun Joong oppa! FIGHTING!

Guest baby_jen04

Well said! I agree 100%. For some reason everyone seems to be hating on Hyun Joong right now, saying things like: "KBS made a mistake choosing him as Rui/Ji Hoo", "Hyun Joong isn't natural enough and trys too hard to act" and "The only reason why they chose Hyun Joong was because he looked like Rui". Such harsh words. I think Hyun Joong is doing an excellent job portraying Ji Hoo. When he's on the screen I forget he is Hyun Joong because he becomes Ji Hoo for me. JD's soulmate, the one who always answers her hearts emergency signal, the one who will get JP and JD back together. I wish people would stop talking so much about how Hyun Joong won't succeed after BOF due to his so called poor performance. Everyone can say all they want but in the end it's Hyun Joong that's laughing all the way to the bank to cash his 40billion won check, haha.

Hyun Joong oppa! FIGHTING!

OMG you jux took the words out of my mouth! I mean for a newbie he is doing a great job..Why is everyone hating him? Jux leave him alone and watch the drama...

Guest eternitygoddess

Why can't fans ever accept criticism and instead jump up and down trying to defend their idols? Then always come up with these inane responses:

If his acting is SOOOO bad that it makes you cringe, why do you still watch it. I'm sure BOF doesn't need your sorry eyes watching the drama, really.

I don't watch BOF for one specific person. It's a cast-show.

Plus, his scenes are so bad they're funny and provide some humor.

Guest lyptika

This has probably been discussed already, but I just wanted to say it again b/c I just just came to the realization after I rewatched episode 12.

JP's mom was talking to her husband (at least I assume it's her husband because she called him "honey")

JP's mom: I'll take responsibility for it. Therefore you shouldn't say a word, do you understand? Right now, what isn't important is you or I. Are you going to throw Shinhwa away like this? How could your father--honey? Honey?

Phone hangs up

JP's mom: His (the father) condition isn't good. Get Jun Pyo.

My analysis:

1. I feel like she wants to control JP because she's power hungry.

2. She uses the same controlling method on her husband: "your father..."

3. His father is not dead! "you can't say a word"

See...that conversation is so off. It has to be some ploy

I thought the same while watching this.

She felt that she was losing control over JP because of JD, he wasn't as obedient as before. Her attempt to pay off JD to stay away from JP failed aswell, so she tried it another way around - by faking her husbands indisposition/death (or did she really kill him afterwards? xD). This way JP was forced to stay away from JD and prepare himself to become the head of ShinHwa Corp.

His dad didn't die in the manga, so I suspect he'll rise from the dead soon enough...

Btw, Didn't she say "How can you, as a father..." instead of "How could your father..."? It's rather random, but still ^^;

Guest Dreamweaver2

hi. new to this thread.

i was reluctant to watch this drama, but so many ppl i know are watching it and so many korean variety shows keep mentioning it.

so now i'm curious and want to watch this drama

does anyone know a clubbox link to download the episodes?

Don't know about you but CB is REALLY slow for me. Try www. aja-aja.com (great site/great stuff)

about the shoe price. they were at the Hugo Boss store and JD was looking at flats that are about $300USD (a very common price range for HB brand). just b/c they are in china does not mean there are only dinky vendor shops. whether the shoe was actual hugo boss or not, i dont know, i think the producers just bought some cheap flats and put it in the Hugo Boss store to make it HB brand so that they wouldnt have to worry about damage when JP and that girl was fighting over it.

LOL i cant believe the details people notice.

Guest Dreamweaver2

This has probably been discussed already, but I just wanted to say it again b/c I just just came to the realization after I rewatched episode 12.

JP's mom was talking to her husband (at least I assume it's her husband because she called him "honey")

JP's mom: I'll take responsibility for it. Therefore you shouldn't say a word, do you understand? Right now, what isn't important is you or I. Are you going to throw Shinhwa away like this? How could your father--honey? Honey?

Phone hangs up

JP's mom: His (the father) condition isn't good. Get Jun Pyo.

My analysis:

1. I feel like she wants to control JP because she's power hungry.

2. She uses the same controlling method on her husband: "your father..."

3. His father is not dead! "you can't say a word"

See...that conversation is so off. It has to be some ploy

Yeah, JP's mom was talking with his dad. But some of ur translation is a bit off and skews the storyline a bit. (Pls, no offence intended!) JP's mom and dad are probably discussing how to deal with pending or current investigation into ShinHwa Group activities (I recall brief news report in one ep).

JP's mom asked how dad could even consider just walking away from ShinHwa Group (probably meaning in order to avoid investigation, prosecution, etc) after all that HIS father had done (presumably founded and built up ShinHwa Group). Lastly, "condition isn't good" referred to situation (company's problems) not being good, not JP's dad's health. (Oh, and it's not until Ep13 that JP's dad collapses, so yeah, he's just dandy during this phone call) I noticed most English translations of this scene de-emphasized what JP's mom really said at the end. She asked assistant to get Jun Pyo so to leave the country immediately (I took this as fleeing Korea before prosecutors took formal action and banned them from foreign travel).

So irrespective of whether or not JP's mom is power hungry, I got the impression (1) that JP's dad had already essentially fled Korea (and not just temporarily out of the country "on business") so JP's mom was left to take care of things, and (2) JP's dad was getting cold feet so JP's mom was engaging in damage control. Also, I think that news report at beginning of Ep13 said that JP's dad died, but who knows? Maybe he's just ill or incapacitated (or even just dandy) but reported as dead so to prevent any further progress on whatever the investigation was about. Which, based on Korean news, probably involved bribery, tax evasion, corruption/slush funds, and/or illegal business practices - take your pick.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to clarify.

Guest vthinkg

I thought the same while watching this.

She felt that she was losing control over JP because of JD, he wasn't as obedient as before. Her attempt to pay off JD to stay away from JP failed aswell, so she tried it another way around - by faking her husbands indisposition/death (or did she really kill him afterwards? xD). This way JP was forced to stay away from JD and prepare himself to become the head of ShinHwa Corp.

His dad didn't die in the manga, so I suspect he'll rise from the dead soon enough...

Btw, Didn't she say "How can you, as a father..." instead of "How could your father..."? It's rather random, but still ^^;

I completely agree with you on this! I really think Madam Kang is using JunPyo's father's death as a way for her to regain control over JunPyo as we can see, it totally works too...in addition to the whole guilt-tripping him with his promise to his dad from his young age. Even though it is an extreme to fake her husband's death, I believe that Madam Kang is the type of person that will go this far in order to protect ShinHwa Group and to make JunPyo give up his friends & esp Jandi to take over his responsibilities and accept his future as the heir. Although, if this series does follow the manga and somehow the death was a fake...I have no idea how JunPyo will react to his mom's actions...

Also, I came across this fan-made MV for JunPyo & Jandi...it recaps most of the scenes from Ep 14 using the song from OST, "Starlight Tears" with the English lyrics at the bottom...very well done...and I must say, their breakup scene still gets me everytime...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMPi4FylA2Q...re=channel_page

credit: hoonfamily at YouTube

Finally, I know many people aren't thrilled about the opening theme song, Paradise by T-Max(but I personally still enjoy the song...even though there are times in the drama that is inappropriately played)...but here's a video of the behind the scenes stuff from KBSi...enjoy! :)

Paradise - Kim Joon & T-Max - KBS Official -Behind the scenes -KBSi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBNqvX8aBjA...feature=channel

credit: hoonfamily at YouTube

Guest XiahxTiffany

can people stop being mean to Hyun Joong with his acting

i mean if u really did watch him on WGM he is really silly and a dork

being Jihoo is really hard for him cause he has to be the total opposite of himself 0_0

Guest 이야기

I don't want to get into a whole argument over Hyun Joong's acting but in no way are people 'being harsh and mean' by giving an objective criticism. Yes, he is a new actor. But uh, so is most of the cast. Kim Bum, Goo Hye Sun and Lee Minho have only had small roles. Kim Joon is also a singer turned actor, and despite his barely-there-lines, he's still fun to watch. All in all, they're playing up to their roles. I just find it so biased that people are fawning over 'perfect Jihoo' because he's 'so hot' that they're not acknowledging what's most important - his acting. Having 'good acting for a singer' is not an excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching BoF as a whole and I don't mind Hyun Joong as Jihoo, but I find it unfair that people are exaggerating about what a 'great performance' he's giving and overlooking the rest of the cast. I do acknowledge, however, that Hyun Joong is working hard and that he's been slowly improving. Of course in the end, it's Hyun Joong who's laughing all the way to the bank.

@ itachixneji: That's exactly what I mean. Kim Bum sure isn't a cold-hearted playboy in real life. Kim Joon isn't a mafia prince. Lee Minho isn't a selfish richboy. But that's what acting is - getting into your role and portraying it realistically. Hyun Joong is definitely unique and 4-D in WGM, but this is 'Boys Over Flowers.'

Guest tofumui

hmm i wonder who had sent the pix to JP??? was it the assistant? he seems to want to help JP, make sure he relaxes and sees his friends and also about making time to see JD..

Guest XiahxTiffany

and yea everyone is sorta mad at JP

but after seeing the full episode i understood wat happened

JP was forced to by his mom

if he didnt listen to her trust me probably JD's family would be in grave danger rite now

JP is going to find a way to get to her and will find a way for her mom to give him permission :)

Guest angie19

and yea everyone is sorta mad at JP

but after seeing the full episode i understood wat happened

JP was forced to by his mom

if he didnt listen to her trust me probably JD's family would be in grave danger rite now

JP is going to find a way to get to her and will find a way for her mom to give him permission :)

hopefully.

Guest deeLOVELY

... Damn, some of you guys are BRUTALLY mean when it comes down to Hyunjoong.

So lemme sum up what I'm about to say: If his acting is SOOOO bad that it makes you cringe, why do you still watch it. I'm sure BOF doesn't need your sorry eyes watching the drama, really.

What makes me cringe is that people that literally squashes a person's hard work (despite how you feel about the person ability to act). Hyunjoong is trying -- don't take aspect away from him...

Do you want the director to bring Meteor Garden's Hua Ze Lei (if you think Hyunjoong is doing a bad job... LOL)

Embrace the Jihoo now because honestly, it could've been worse IMO.

Personally, Hyunjoong's acting isn't bad, considering singer-became-actor.

QUESTION

- Is Han Chae Young coming back to the drama? Jihoo needs some loving ... =(

um. you do know that most people dont watch this drama because of one person right?

just because someone says they think that one person cant act doesnt mean they have to stop watching it all together

Guest sweet_maple

Who was the man who has been the cause of her getting beat up so many times and humiliated? Who was the man who got so jealous of her and JH till he was going to have them put out of school? Who was the man put his own friend out of F4? Who was it that totally believed JD was a richard simmons and didn't bother to investigate after claiming to like her so much? Who is the man who accused JD of throwing his necklace away on purpose causing JD to wonder into the midnight snowstorm almost dying? Who is the man who upsets JD causing her to have to be saved by JH?

The reason JP took the time to learn about her life wasn't so heroic or amazing, that's what good boyfriends do. On top of that, JP needed to humble himself cause he was such a snob. Ji-Hoo went on a commoner's date w/o calling it a commoner's date over 3 times, can't say the same for JP. So JH doesn't need schooling in JD's lifestyle, he's the one who told her that there's no such thing as rich ppl's world or poor ppl's world. Why? Cause JH already understands that ppl are ppl wherever you go. No one is better than someone simply b/c of money and status. It only makes sense that JP try to learn about not looking down on others.

Ji-Hoo has been saving her life and he hasn't been the cause of the trouble. JH has been the one there for her everytime JP misunderstands and upsets JD. JD would be dead if it weren't for JH saving her from drowning. He also saved her from being nearly raped by goons that JP sent.

While I understand why JP basically dumped JD at the bridge, it's just another round of misunderstandings and pain he's going to cause JD. After all that JP and JD have been through they still act like they barely know each other.

All I'm saying is that JH has not been so inconsiderate, mean, and the root of so many problems for JD. JH has taken the time to understand her and be sensitive to what she wants. JP hardly ever ask JD what she really wants, he just bulldozes and tells her what she will get.

While I understand JP's background and why he acts this way, it doesn't excuse his behavior only explains it.

Now while JD is left in pain and confusion over why JP is doing what he did, who is the man who is there to keep her happy and pick up the pieces of her shattered heart? Who is the man that cares about what JD really wants? Who is the man who has been keeping JP and JD together no matter what? Who is the man who would give the world if it meant seeing a smile on her face? Who is sensitve enough to know JD better than she knows herself?

The answer so far has been Ji-Hoo.

Btw, I know I may sound hostile in my post but I'm just passionate, too passionate sometimes. :sweatingbullets: So no offense if I sound like I'm raving mad :blush:

:rolleyes: I know how much you love Ji Hoo and how Ji Hoo is a perfect man for Jan Di ( actually for all the girl not Jandi only). Ji Hoo is really a Prince Charming, no one can't deny this fact, he is hot, warm-heart , careful....But in LOVE there is no concept about "perfect" or not. As a saying goes " It is not that we find a perfect person to love, it is that we love to make that person to be perfect". JH always the one who stays by JD's side whenever she is in the trouble caused by JP, I agree. But If you over look everything, somehow I feel that JH is in the role of a best friend, isn't he. Best friend is the one who we can share many things in life, something that we can't even share with our beloved one. Sorry but love is not only the sweetest moment, peaceful place, that love has the bitter taste, challenge, obstacle, at that time one best friend is the perfect choice. JD has been hurt so much for Jun Pyo and on the contrary JP,too. From the pain of love, both JP and JD learn to value the LoVE they have, learn how to control their ego in love, learn how to accept the other bad side. Just kidding, but If Jan di were in love with Ji Hoo, I wonder that would we have the greatest Hana yoridango manga? I mean If she and JH became an official couple, would we see her strength to defeat JP's mother, the strength of love conquer everything, more important Would we see a WEED Jan Di? Would she become a Cinderella, by chance losing the glass shoes then Prince Ji Hoo finds out her, no need to fight with everything then have a happy ending- in case she is herself just a lucky normal girl nothing special to view, don't tell me that she would defeat with JP to protect her love to JH, If something like this happens( actually it did happen :rolleyes: ) I will make sure that she will finally be in love with JP, every roads lead to Rome :sweatingbullets:. JD knows how strong she is , how to protect and fight for love because of JP( JP learns to love with heart). IF I were Jan DI, I would choose JP than JH. Because JH is like a Prince Charming coming out a fairy story, too perfect but somehow I feel that JD is like us at first she loved JH because of the fancy to a idol, we can't see his bad side( like us- fangirling :lol: ). "Don't mistake between LOVE and LIKE, LIkE is when we see that person just good things, LOVE when we see that person has both good and bad things but we still love them"- That's the point :)

Okay. There is no way that I can catch up with every single page but I've been reading quite a bit.

Here's my take on the whole series thus far (and I'll try not to get too crazy).

Goo Hye Sun (Makino Tsukushi) Geum Jan Di - the first time I saw her ride up on the bike to deliver the dry cleaning I was a little unsure. But by the time she was cheesily posing for those photos after saving the guy on the roof I loved her as this character. I think Hye Sun brings a vulnerability to the role that I didn't see in the Japanese or Taiwanese one. As someone mentioned, I think the reason why she is so endearing is because she brings a warmth to everyone around her. I don't know how the character is in the manga, haven't read it. But I do love Hye Sun's interpretation of it the best. The part when she's at the pool and says "I know I'm not smart. And I know I'm not pretty..." and goes on about how the one thing she loves is taken from her. That absolutely cemented it for me. She's grown so much in this role and I look forward to seeing how she plays it out to the very end!

Lee Min Ho as Goo Joon Pyo (Domyoji Tsukasa) Goo Joon Pyo He is the best. Hands down. He's aggressive and stubborn. Yet he has this beautiful soft side that Jan Di brings out. The day that he spends with her family is so sweet and amazing. I love that episode. When he was saying those things to her on the bridge in Ep 14, you could tell he didn't mean them. They were cruel words, but I just wasn't convinced that was how he felt. Then when he stormed in and confronted his mother... I knew that my faith in Joon Pyo hadn't been misplaced! He's too stubborn to just give in to his mom right away. The line "She's the first girl I've loved since birth" made me cry. Lee Min Ho is absolutely brilliant in this role. He brings so much to the show. Also, the line "Try having 700,000 people on your shoulders and see if you don't change" was brilliantly delivered. Min Ho was so convincing delivering these lines.My only fear is that Min Ho will get pigeon holed because of this role. You can tell that he has so much to bring to any role.

Kim Hyun Joong as Yoon Ji Hoo (Hanazawa Rui) Ji Hoo Okay... I know there has been a lot of discussion about his acting ability and how he's doing. I have to say, initially I was skeptical. In general I am not a fan of the Rui character. While I like Zai Zai and Oguri Shun as actors, I feel that they made the Rui character one sided... like a cardbord cutout. However, as this particular characterization goes on, I have come to enjoy and love Ji Hoo (Rui). And I have always sided with the Joon Pyo (Domyoji) character. I think Hyun Joon has grown in leaps and bounds in this role and I really enjoy watching him with Hye Sun and the way that their relationship is growing. It does break my heart that Ji Hoo realizeses his love for Jan Di but that it's too late because her heart is gone. And it's not that I think they should be together. It's more that Ji Hoo's heart is broken twice in such a short time. But I feel like he has done a great job so far.

Kim Bum as So Yi Jung (Nishikado Sojiro) Helllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooo lady killer. Oh man. This guy is so good looking. That face. Those dimples. That hair! I love him. And I am hoping against hope that the Ga Eul/Yi Jung story line goes the way I want it to. I love their tension, the way they play off each other... Gah! He's great and I love how much more rounded he and Woo Bin are than the way they are in the other dramas. I think that they've done an excellent job with these characters and their development.

Kim Joon as Song Woo Bin (Mimasaka Akira) Okay. At first I was really unsure about him. His random use of English phrases, especially the word "yo" kind of threw me off. But now, I love him. As dramabeans said "Prince Song" must be one bad mo'fo because those thugs ran off on Ep 13. I totally adore him now. I think he's funny and a great subtle comic relief. I really appreciate what he brings to the table in this 5 way friendship. He cracks me up.

So there you have it. The Korean version is my favorite. In pretty much all ways. I love the way that they're keeping with the manga, but also veerign off in some directions. I think the characters are strong, the script is great and the filming, for the most part, awesome. My only "complaint" would be the OST. But even now, though most songs are cheesy and "Almost Paradise" plays at the weirdest times, I've even come to enjoy it.

BOF - Fighting! I can't wait to see what happens from this point on!

There was an article on JP's new hairstyle today. He's still maintaining the curls, just not as seashell-ish as before.

newhairge7.th.jpg

newhair2zr1.th.jpg

EDIT: LMH in his interview explains that a lot of time passed for his character but he is concerned because his style of talking remains the same. I wonder if he is referring to the 6 months jump in ep 13 or if there is going to be another time jump in the upcoming episodes... maybe JD will finally become a college student?

http://cynews.cyworld.com/Service/news/She...17&LinkID=2

While, I understand that Ji Hoo is a good friend to Jandi, but at times I felt he was just tooooo close for comfort.

The man can't do the chasing all the time. This time Jandi has to step up her game plan, use her weed power and fight for him.

I couldn't agree more on these points. Look, I watched episode 14, and hurt immensely for Jandi. My chest actually hurt watching her scenes in the gondola while she sobbed (trust me, that doesn't happen for me often). and for a second, even as an avid Junpyo-shipper, i wanted to drop kick Joon Pyo over the bridge in that faux Venice. That said, if we're going to talk about "scales" and "measuring who did what to who," I'd say that she pretty much crapped on Joonpyo for the better part of the <season one> episodes, don't you? He was always the one trying to put himself out there, albeit in an extremely clumsy and heavy handed way... getting hurt by Jandi in the process repeatedly, whether by design or by accident. I honestly think it's time that she stepped up her game a little bit. Granted, I hope its done in a realistic way, given the fact that Joon Pyo essentially just stomped all over her, but i'm hoping with Joon Hee's assistance, Jandi doesn't give up on it all and turn even more to JiHoo than she has for comfort.

As to Kim Hyung Joon.. well, from an acting standpoint, I was one of the ppl who critcized KHJ for his "wooden pretty boy" acting in the beginning, BUT that said, he has gotten much better. I think he's starting to actually emote while he speaks his lines, as opposed just reciting them for the camera. He's improved noticeably and we should all give him credit where credit is do. Do i think he's the strongest actor in the cast? By no means, but I don't think it's right to completely ignore his continuing contribution to the show, or his efforts in working on the acting.

In terms of the "JiHOo" character, I have issues with how "tight" he is with Jandi. Its great that he's there for her, her knight in shining armor, particularly since she's hurting so bad -- please, don't think i know that he's wonderful as a support system, but something about the fact that even when his BFF JoonPyo was in the picture, and knowing that he has feelings for JanDi, he continued to seek her out so much kinda bugs me. I mean, he gave her up for JoonPyo, and its not like he doesn't know he likes her, so wouldn't or shouldn't he kinda try to distance himself from her in some manner? it's weird that he made her his female BFF in spite of the situation. that's what a male friend of mine said, and I tend to agree...

In any case, I can't end my post without applauding the superb acting from Lee Min Ho that was episode 14. He made me want to kick the living daylights out of him while absolutely feeling his pain for having to do what he did. That's some serious talent there, no kidding... You hate the way he acted but kinda understand why, once you see his interactiong with the mother. and to be honest, i didn't really believe he really meant the things he was saying to her on the bridge (even before that illuminating scene with the Witch Mom). Something about his "dead" eyes when hes saying the cruel phrases he uses... *shrugs.

Pretty sure we're in for at least one other episode of angst, but BRING BACK JOON HEE to make things right!! haha. CHeers.

Guest sweet_maple

There was an article on JP's new hairstyle today. He's still maintaining the curls, just not as seashell-ish as before.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8665/newhairge7.th.jpg

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2348/newhair2zr1.th.jpg

:w00t: he looks a bit mature but hot as usually. So my fear of straighten his hair is flown off because of these pics. SO AWESOME.