[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

omg i can't believe i actually watched the 1st ep of this teeny-bopper drama. i thought the beginning was extremely cheesy and so incredibly unrealistic (i know this drama isn't supposed to depict reality, but i mean, c'mon! the dude's weight should have pulled her down too. there's no way you can catch a person like that). but it got better as the ep continued.

i wasn't very happy with the korean cast when they were announced, but surprisingly i liked kim hyun joong in ep 1. i think the other 3 will need getting used to. kim bum's english is pretty good actually. the other dude, woo bin aka gangster wannabe, man his english/slang was errr...yea.

i normally like goo hye sun but she's so awkward here. the only part i liked from her was when she was getting pelted with eggs. i hope she gets better in the later eps. her school friend looks like choi ji woo and her restaurant friend reminds me of park min young lol.

i watched meteor garden (the taiwanese version of hana yori dango) but i think i'm going to like this better b/c it's in my mother language :]

and yea, i really like the ost! that's the best part of this drama lol

does the drama closely follow the manga?

Guest polaris

Semi fly, the approach would work if you're watching a more realistic drama, depicting a more realistic world. Remember that this is a manga adaptation. This world that is painted by BOF is so far from reality, with all the ridiculousness it has (WHO arrives at school in a helicopter, no matter how rich they are? WHO plays violin in the woods wearing a suit?). The logic of it all bugged me too the first 10 minutes before I remembered that this isn't supposed to be 'normal' or 'common'. The ridiculousness is what sets it apart. And Curly IS supposed to be a total jerk, if he'd been anything but, he's not Junpyo (or Domyouji).

Wohoo, more episode tonight!

ETA: Am I the only one loving the Tarty Trio?? Gawd, I love that 'Janice' girl with her two accomplice, Plastic 1 and Plastic 2. I must say, they're pretty funny, again, in a totally nonsensical way.

yea~ if they are going to make a drama based on manga ...why not go ALL out and make it totally different from real world. I think ep 1 was fantastic and entertaining. I love all the characters.. what good casting!

The entrance of F4 never fails to make me laugh everytime~ with the sunbeam shining onto them from the doorway and that music! hahaha~~ :lol:

I know there are mixed feelings about Goo Hyesun playing Jan di but I think she's the perfect choice. I love how she doesnt care to look perfectly pretty all the time. Her lack of self consciousness.. whether when she makes faces or when she's stuffing her face is what makes her endearing and unique.

yay!! I'm excited about this drama.. It's a similar feeling as when "Goong" first came out.

yea~ if they are going to make a drama based on manga ...why not go ALL out and make it totally different from real world. I think ep 1 was fantastic and entertaining. I love all the characters.. what good casting!

I know there are mixed feelings about Goo Hyesun playing Jan di but I think she's the perfect choice. I love how she doesnt care to look perfectly pretty all the time. Her lack of self consciousness.. whether when she makes faces or when she's stuffing her face is what makes her endearing and unique.

yay!! I'm excited about this drama.. It's a similar feeling as when "Goong" first came out.

I agree with you, totally "Goong" moment when Jandi's family was introduce^_^ especially her mom and the men in black at her house. I really like this over the top, comical lack of self consciousness Jandi (Makino) too, glad it's different from the TW Makino and the JP Makino. The subtlety of Jun Pyo and the over the top Jandi...waiting for sparks to fly :blush:

I think 25%- 35% soompi members are here, that's fantastic. :-)

scout: totally agree with you for the roof scene. I laughed like crazy, he should have pulled her down together. And why they just hang him there like there's no energy inside him. Wait, is he conscious?

By the way, Jandi's clumsiness actually is very appealing. She made me forget the previous "makito" version and have to follow her.

Guest ennuiyes

actually i really hated the opening, when the topic 'shinhwa' came up, i nearly fell out of my chair with disbelief. couldnt they come up with another name, crying out loud

shinhwa does not belong to a group of men. It's a word which can be used by anyone who speaks korean.

Guest churccix3

i loved the first episode!

personally i thought goo hye sun would kinda suck at acting.

but she's way better then what i was crediting her for!!

i hope she improves!!=]

Guest hayuna

ETA: Am I the only one loving the Tarty Trio?? Gawd, I love that 'Janice' girl with her two accomplice, Plastic 1 and Plastic 2. I must say, they're pretty funny, again, in a totally nonsensical way.

I loveeeeee Ginsunmi. Haha, the 'Oh my gawwwd's from Ginger are somehow endearing (when I usually would've found it annoying) and you can totally tell one of them is a bit slow on the uptake. The part when they're all fangirling over the hankerchief Junpyo dropped is pretty classic, too (reminded me of that one scene with Chae Gyung's friends and Shin's sneakers in Goong). Plastic fantastic bimbo-trio is love.

I'm pretty much content with how things are going- all except for the OST. Seriously, I get the bouncy comic feel they were going for, but it sounds pretty cheap in comparison to all the general finery/luxuriousness of the drama.

JUST FINISHED WATCHING EPI 1!!!!

i didn't expect myself to like the cast as much... especially the girl they picked to play Makino...but i really liked her! even the other two F4 members... so far.... i'm liking it... i hope it doesn't drag on for too long...

and my gosh!! HYUN JOONG'S SMILE IS A KILLER!!! any guy smile like that to me...i would probably faint!!!

like many of you here... i'm patiently waiting for the subs too... gosh... i can't believe i'm already addicted!

i loved the first episode!

personally i thought goo hye sun would kinda suck at acting.

but she's way better then what i was crediting her for!!

i hope she improves!!=]

SAME HERE!!! she's actually quite okay for the role... very spunky and righteous... i was doubtful about her in the beginning, but watching the first episode of her is quite pleasing...hopefully there'll be some great chemistry between her and Lee Min Ho

Guest hayuna

Everybody! Viiki has it up subbed!

http://www.viikii.net/videos/watch/5337/0/video.html

(the first part, anyway @_@)

@Semi Fly: Her mind didn't wander off, really. The scene just continued until she stopped screaming, whereupon there was a dinging noise and Minho was saying the same lines before her rant, indicating her 'speech' didn't actually happen.

lol i like jinsunmi too lol. the "oh my gawd" is funny to hear b/c her english is so good lol everyone in this drama is a lot nicer than i expected. even though they're all supposed to be snobby and mean, they don't come off that way lol. maybe i'm just too cynical/mean myself. :P

Guest imogene_af

Sure. It's silly. It's a rough start. It's cheesy as hell. It is overly scored. There isn't much of a more cinematic quality to it... but... somehow that's what makes it right.

I like how it's overt craziness makes it a character in itself.

I think there's a certain charm with the cheesiness that goes with the drama and it is good, fluffy fun. It actually gave me flashbacks of my first impressions of "My Girl" and "Goong", they both had clumsy but surprisingly charming starts but when they actually get to the heart as in the more relateable things in the script (love, friendship, family, etc.) that was when the magic happens. BOF gives me the same "feeling" and no, it's not just because of the My Girl OST.

I like how Jandi is a mix of a spunk little hyper girl and a misery chick, GHS may tend to overdo it a bit but Lee Da Hae had the same exact problems during the early episodes of "My Girl". GHS has enough charisma to pull her character through even though she may go to the extremes, it never went to annoying or grating to me. She is actually very likeable. And I like how "deglamourized" she is in this role.

For me, Lee Min Hoo though just is PERFECT for this lead role. Surprisingly, the real star in this pilot. He has this innate fire and swagger to play this handsome heir. He may actually be the best one cast for the role ever. He just captured me within split seconds and it's all just in his "air", he captured the essence quite effortlessly.

Hyun Joong for me needs some more push to capture this sensitive part, I think he really LOOKS the part and in a way even ACTS the part right but for me, he is not quite grasping the character yet. I do think he can act the part but its the spirit that I want to see more of.

I would rather not deal with the YOYOYOYOYOMAAAAN dialogue ever. again. EVER. I never cringed so hard in my life.

Kim Bum's some handsome eyecandy, though he looks total puppy dog innocent for the said role, he still has this unbreakable screen presence that gets to you even at his young age. You know why we will go cougar for him (LOL). Though, I doubt he will affect me as much as a young Dong Chul in East of Eden seeing him playing a fun role is a bit refreshing to see. So watching him in this is more for shallow reasons rather than seeing his true acting potential.

I love the pacing of the drama and it's been a while since I've seen a truly fun and young show in a while. This seems to flashback me back to 2005-2006 when Korean dramas gave us this kind of treat before. Anyway, looking forward to this light fare.

AAAAAAAAAAH thanks for the subs!

i never like any of HYD even the japanese one with my fav guy in there

and i have watched the first ep of this

amazing?

not as much

but i think it is an okay drama

kinda liked it so far

hope it will evolved more after this

^_^

btw

this is the first time that main lead guy (domyouji) scares the hell out of me

he looks so fierce

:)

Guest manderley_angel

episode one

omg, to think i only left for a few hours and this thread already grew three more pages... anyways, more screencaps/semi reviews....

bbf_jihooviolin.jpg

^ if i wasn't a HYD fan, I would have totally wondered why Jihoo/Rui was playing in the middle of a frikkin' forest. Hyunjoong does ok, and looks like he progressively got better throughout the episode... but still he looks lost and stiff.

bbf_jandismitten.jpg

^ and just like that, Jandi gets a little crush on Jihoo... girl got impressed by his mad violin skillz, hahaha. I'm more of a Domyouji+Makino shipper... so I can't wait till the Joonpyo+Jandi lovin' starts.

bbf_joonpyostare.jpg

^ again, it might be too early to say... but I like how this Domyouji is less of an richard simmons. Yeah, he's arrogant... but not laughably flamboyant like the japanese version (yeah, i said that! don't shoot me :unsure: ). It's sort of refreshing to see Joonpyo being comical, but at the right levels...

bbf_f4enter.jpg

^ how awesome was it when F4 entered with the whole glowing shining lights? You can almost hear a choir singing or something....

bbf_gaspinggirl.jpg

^ ok, i was totally laughing when i screencapped this... look at how everybody is totally apathetic while this girl, next to Song Wonbin is like gasping in horror. omfg, so funny.

bbf_gisunmi.jpg

^ The girl is middle is pretty, but the other two sidekicks? looks like one too many surgeries hahaha. This trio is hilarious tho...

bbf_eejungsmirk.jpg

^ everytime Eejung smirks it kills me... he's just so adorable... but also gives off that bad boy image too.

some more later...

--

femmy - please don't quote pictures... we don't want to get this thread shut down because of breaking soompi's rules. just fyi.

dramalovers26 - you're welcome! i didn't screencap alot tho... i was busy enjoying the episode.

I actually mentioned this before.

I like the Gisunmi or Ginsunmi? too, of course I watched it raw but I thought they were a funny in an annoying way.

Everybody! Viiki has it up subbed!

http://www.viikii.net/videos/watch/5337/0/video.html

(the first part, anyway @_@)

Thank you so much!