[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

How can you wish for Jihoo and Jandi ending when you know that it's Joon Pyo that makes her happy?

Peace!

Says WHO????????? So far, Jun Pyo makes Jandi miserable most of the time. It is Jihoo who makes her happy and more peaceful. And the very little happiness moments between JP-JD always ends end with misery......and JH will come to the rescue giving strength to JD to mend her broken heart. And she enjoys his company too. She never avoid or gave excuses not to be with him...it's either that or GHS's poor perfomance to emphasize her sorrow whenever she has a scene with KHJ...hehe....

Guest christina

I think there are just way too many sweet scenes of JH and JD that I really dont undestand why they're not together. As for JP...he just doesnt really do anything. If JK hadnt stopped the wedding, it seemed like he wouldve just gone through with it. I really dont understand why JD likes JP at all.

But I feel so so so bad for JH!!!! his one sided love is so sad! nooOOOOoooooooOOooOOooOO!

I have to agree with the above person. In todays episode, when JD was reading a poem to JP's dad, the poem that said the most beautiful meeting is one that is like a handkerchief made her think of JH. JH really does do alot of stuff for JD and makes her happy. JP does jack squat except cause her and her family misery.

withs2bofsubsgk6.jpg

BROUGHT TO YOU BY WITH S2

WRITTEN IN THE HEAVENS SUBBING SQUAD

EPISODE 20 ENGLISH SUBS

CREDITS:

Main Translators: Javafiend, rameninmybowl

Spot Translators: CheshireKiwi, saturn, meju

Timer: melliemelll

Editor/QC: snoopyvkd

Coordinators: mily2, ay_link

EPISODE 21 ENGLISH SUBS

CREDITS:

Main Translators: CheshireKiwi, Javafiend

Spot Translator: meju

Timer: julier

Editor/QC: annchong

Coordinators: mily2, ay_link

Guest hoistdacolors

Totally agree with you. And are HJ fans even happy anymore with the coverage he is getting in this drama? If I were a HJ fan, I would be upset that they're making him look so pathetic. There seems to be too great a disconnect between whatever viewers are posting and how the PD and scriptwriters are interpreting the viewers' comments. Or, maybe they only watch blogs and forums in the early days of a drama and forget what people want afterwards.

I don't like it when an episode gets cancelled because I'm selfish and want to know what's going to happen. However, if all they're going to show us in an episode are flashbacks, crying JH, sad JH, stalker JH, or more random hair-cutting and car washing scenes, then I would rather that they just cancel an episode completely and let the crew rest for one day. That way, they can save that episode for something that makes sense and adds to the drama as a whole.

what you said is interesting. I read an article (chinese translated) about the highest one minute rating of each episode. The report was released after episode 19 so I don't know about the recent episodes. Here is the original article in Korean: http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=L...;aid=0002009890

The moment that got the highest rating (42.9%) was episode 18 when JH and JD was outside of the museum. (yay, they broke 40%.) Epi 17 was second place (42.8%) with the scene at which the JK, JP, JH, JD met after JP saved JD from drowning. Third place was episode 16 when the scene where JH took away JD's mop and comforted her (37.1%).

Furthermore, the article detailed the highest one minute rating for all the previous episodes:

#1 When JP's minions harassed her after she changed in the locker room. (25.8%)

#2 When JH and JD waltzing in SH's welcome home party. (29.7%)

#3 When JH arrived at the pool seeing JD kneeling to SH. (22.5%)

#4 When the Shinhwa student flipped JD's bike (24.3%)

#5 When JP convinced JD and GE to board the plane to New Caledonia (27.0%)

#6 When YJ went to JH's house before the competition (27.4%)

#7 When JH won the car race against JP and JD and GE were celebrating (25%)

#8 When JD and JP went to the japanese restaurant and were met with delicious sushi (30.6%)

#9 When YJ played the saxophone (33.2%)

#10 When JH went to the gas station to find JD (34.5%)

#11 When the model guy that kidnaped JD revealed his identity (35.5%)

#12 When YJ and WB blocked JH to go out in the snow to find JD (34.7%)

#13 When F3 saved JD in Macau and JH wiped JD's tears (34.1%)

#14 When JP and JK fought over shoes (34.6%)

#15 When JK bit JP's ear after being dragged out (36.2%)

#19 NG scenes (35.6%) lol...that episode wasn't good enough for them :P .

Of course these numbers don't tell the whole story since JP and JD moments might score the highest average ratings. but it seems that the korean populace really likes the depressed, angsty, emo male lead #2 and that's why he pulls in the highest ratings in majority of the episodes. (i mean look at episode 10. the kiss in the cabin was overshadowed by JH wanted to go out in the snow to find JD. huh? :wacko: )

Whether KHJ's fanbase can pull in that much weight, I do not know. But if I remember correctly, KHJ just barely beat LMH for the popularity award (like 5% maybe). So at least to me, both KHJ and LMH share the Korean HYD fandom equally and that one group of fans can sway the ratings just as well as the other. Therefore, I don't think the JH overload has anything to do with KHJ's popularity before the drama. I think Korean audience generally sympathize with male lead #2. The PD and scriptwriters are making him as pitiful as possible and feeding audience exactly what they like.

Guest susamirain

I know many people have said that it's not HYD if it's not a JoonDi ending. I was a staunch Tsukasa/Makino supporter in the Japanese version because their relationship makes sense. The Korean version just doesn't make any sense whatsoever in term of building up the two main characters relationship. Or do they think that since JP and JD will have to end up with each other anyway, let's have fun and utilise Kim Hyun Joong's looks?!?! Based on the way the drama has been heading, it seems to me that JD and JP will end up with each other because it's supposed to be that way and not because it makes sense. Which is ironic.

I completely agree with your entire assessment of this version. I have been thinking the same things. I'm just going to sit back and understand that Jun Pyo gets the girl cause that's how the story goes. Nice rant ;)

Says WHO????????? So far, Jun Pyo makes Jandi miserable most of the time. It is Jihoo who makes her happy and more peaceful. And the very little happiness moments between JP-JD always ends end with misery......and JH will come to the rescue giving strength to JD to mend her broken heart. And she enjoys his company too. She never avoid or gave excuses not to be with him...it's either that or GHS's poor perfomance to emphasize her sorrow whenever she has a scene with KHJ...hehe....

This is my last post of the day... I disagree with you. Junpyo makes Jandi so happy. It's not Junpyo who causes the misery, it's that psycho witch who belongs in a mental institution who causes it. Do you notice that Jandi smiles a lot more when she is with Junpyo? They have so many sweet and bitter memories together. Sometimes in life we have to taste the bitter flavors to get to the sweet part and I think that it's the same for Junpyo and Jandi. Jandi has to suffer and make sacerfices in order to truely discover that she is in love with Junpyo and that she can't live without him. Now, if Jiho was man enough, he would have made his big move during the Junpyo's engagement, but the idiot that he is stood by and watched.

Tomorrow's episode! Yaya! Get your box of tissues ready because it's going to be a tearful one.

Guest cissi

Whether KHJ's fanbase can pull in that much weight, I do not know. But if I remember correctly, KHJ just barely beat LMH for the popularity award (like 5% maybe). So at least to me, both KHJ and LMH share the Korean HYD fandom equally and that one group of fans can sway the ratings just as well as the other. Therefore, I don't think the JH overload has anything to do with KHJ's popularity before the drama. I think Korean audience generally sympathize with male lead #2. The PD and scriptwriters are making him as pitiful as possible and feeding audience exactly what they like.

Sorry for cutting your post.

What you showed is indeed interesting. However, although I am not a (complete) K-drama addict, what I remember from watching Goong, Full House and even the all-time tearjerker, Winter Sonata, is that the second male lead did not get anywhere near as many screen time as KHJ does in this drama. Maybe because Bi/Rain's and Bae Yong Joon's fanbases are too poweful compared to those of the supporting roles. But in Goong, the story centred around Shin and Chae-kyung, within them having many emotional connections, instead of what is being done in this drama.

Guest funkindagirl

The moment that got the highest rating (42.9%) was episode 18 when JH and JD was outside of the museum. (yay, they broke 40%.) Epi 17 was second place (42.8%) with the scene at which the JK, JP, JH, JD met after JP saved JD from drowning. Third place was episode 16 when the scene where JH took away JD's mop and comforted her (37.1%).

Furthermore, the article detailed the highest one minute rating for all the previous episodes:

#1 When JP's minions harassed her after she changed in the locker room. (25.8%)

#2 When JH and JD waltzing in SH's welcome home party. (29.7%)

#3 When JH arrived at the pool seeing JD kneeling to SH. (22.5%)

#4 When the Shinhwa student flipped JD's bike (24.3%)

#5 When JP convinced JD and GE to board the plane to New Caledonia (27.0%)

#6 When YJ went to JH's house before the competition (27.4%)

#7 When JH won the car race against JP and JD and GE were celebrating (25%)

#8 When JD and JP went to the japanese restaurant and were met with delicious sushi (30.6%)

#9 When YJ played the saxophone (33.2%)

#10 When JH went to the gas station to find JD (34.5%)

#11 When the model guy that kidnaped JD revealed his identity (35.5%)

#12 When YJ and WB blocked JH to go out in the snow to find JD (34.7%)

#13 When F3 saved JD in Macau and JH wiped JD's tears (34.1%)

#14 When JP and JK fought over shoes (34.6%)

#15 When JK bit JP's ear after being dragged out (36.2%)

#19 NG scenes (35.6%) lol...that episode wasn't good enough for them :P .

Wow this is really interesting, insightful news! Thanks for sharing.

Have to say, the list of the highest segments for each episode are very surprising.

:o

Korean BOF fans must have really different opinions to us!

No wonder the PD is still giving tons of JH scenes.... <_<

I find it difficult to imagine JH having equal fans as JP, because I dont find the character that compelling. But maybe its not that difficult as Hyunjoong DID beat Minho to the popularity award and has many ss501 fans.

Lol, and some of the most random pointless JH scenes have the highest ratings. Like the mop and the gas station.

And JH & JD outside the museum WAS THE SCENE THAT BROKE 40%!?

*completely do not understand the minds of koreans*

Guest F4fan

However, I wish JD was a little more comfortable with JP when they were dancing. I wished they look into each other's eyes. That would have been great. I guess GHS was shy? too close for comfort? PD didn't want to much skinship? PD, fill me in why it was like this?

This is how I view the awkwardness:

Its the situation. It might be just me but JD should be awkward. So JP didn't get married to JK, JD's worst nightmare even though she had accepted it as inevitable. She was probably in shock to see him not married when he hugged her. She wasn't there. And, just because JP didn't get married doesn't mean that the underlying problems of the breakup, his callousness, him kissing JK, his mother have gone away. Even when she was his personal maid, there was awkwardness and some distance on her end because of the aforementioned problems. Also, remember, that she is probably thinking of JK when she asked Chen to give her a message.

However as the night wore on, she slowly let go and to the point where they were flirting during the telescope viewing. The next morning was when you noticed her finally smile with her whole being.

JP -- he just dodged the biggest bullet of his life. Of course, he's ecstatic. He's punch-drunk happy.

---

JH-JD -- I am not going to bang my head here. Its JP-JD all the way. From the start to finish. Never wavered.

Those ratings of the 1-minute moments -- how much does it have to do with KHJ? Out of the 5 main characters, he is probably the most well-known.

Guest dreampryncezz

THIS IS THE BEST DRAMA EVER!

I love GJP and JD together! They're so cute. I used to root for JH and JD since the beginning of the second season, but after I saw this episodes...I forgot why I even rooted for them in the first place.

Tomorrow's episode is going to be really good. I love crying because I know they'll get back together. :)

i just saw some JOONDI pic and they are supper adorable,

they have such great chemistry,

but im still waiting for most epi22 to be sub and then the awaited epi23.

btw, im loving this version,

i tried watching the taiwan, japan, and comic one

they all don't do it for me, expect for this.

• Like 1

Guest doremii*

does it matter who's done more for JD? I mean, she likes JP and that's all that matters. Why does she have to act miserable around JH to show that she likes JP? :lol: she's happy around JH because they're friends, she acts the same way around Ga Eul/YiJung/Woobin/etc

JH definitely needs to confess to her soon though (and we all know she'll reject him). They should've ended this triangle a long time ago

Guest susamirain

This is my last post of the day... I disagree with you. Junpyo makes Jandi so happy. It's not Junpyo who causes the misery, it's that psycho witch who belongs in a mental institution who causes it. Do you notice that Jandi smiles a lot more when she is with Junpyo? They have so many sweet and bitter memories together. Sometimes in life we have to taste the bitter flavors to get to the sweet part and I think that it's the same for Junpyo and Jandi. Jandi has to suffer and make sacerfices in order to truely discover that she is in love with Junpyo and that she can't live without him. Now, if Jiho was man enough, he would have made his big move during the Junpyo's engagement, but the idiot that he is stood by and watched.

Tomorrow's episode! Yaya! Get your box of tissues ready because it's going to be a tearful one.

Now why should Ji Hoo make a move at someone else's engagement? Jun Pyo should be man enough to take a stand for the woman he wants. Jun Pyo will have to make a stand sooner or later so why not sooner since he's so in love. Instead everyone is just supporting him while he cowers in the back waiting for Jan Di to make decisions for him like on the wedding day. You can say Ji Hoo is an idiot but the biggest idiot in the drama has been Jun Pyo. He's the one who has been proclaiming all over the place about Jan Di being his woman and being able to give her happiness.

From what I've been seeing Ji Hoo has been making Jan Di smile whenever Jun Pyo enters her mind sadness and depression start up. I believe Jan Di loves Jun Pyo for her own reasons but let's not act like Jun Pyo has been bringing sunshine when there are countless screencaps showing that Ji Hoo has been the one making her laugh.

And sure Jun Pyo's mom is causing a bunch of trouble now but Jun Pyo not taking a stand isn't helping. If he's holding back b/c of the company and promises to his dad then when will he ever take a stand? How long does he think Jan Di is supposed to wait on him to man up?

There's really no need for Jun Pyo to worry anyways, he's gonna get Jan Di in the end. All that matters is that Jan Di loves Jun Pyo so Ji Hoo can never win.

Guest maevbe

after watching ep 22, i really felt that what gaeul said to jun pyo's mum is true

she say jandi has not done anything wrong, it is us who is pushing them together.

i think throughout the series, i have not rreally seen jp and jd working or even trying to do things, so that they will stay together, most of the time it is just other people encouraging them to do it, or their friends planning stuffs for them so that they can get together.

i think the script is focusing too much on the obstacles between JP and JD, rather than them fighting or struggling to overcome the obstacles. most of the time the obstacles just 'disappear' with the help of people around them.

Guest ladyelhisa

:lol: Mr. PD buwahahaha thanks for the episode today!!! Kyaaaa........... I think I'm blinded by the sweet comeback of JUNDI couple. :lol: The zoo date was so funny and cute. Hahah Junpyo trying to get to Jandi's side hahahah....jealous of a little child. NICE! :lol:

Jaekyung!!! Thank you!! and goodbye.Hope you find someone that is meant for you!

So Junpyo wanted to be an astronomer before... hmmm........ :huh:

Gaeul and Yi jeong moment next episode!!!! DAng!! the phone call.hahhahahahahaha.......can't wait for the picnic scene. I'm going to prepare myself! ;)

‘I can tolerate hunger and I can tolerate the cold… but there’s just one thing I can’t stand… when people who I love face hardship because of me.’ –Jan Di

I was reading that quote over and over again then I realized something. Jandi's says that there is one thing that she can't stand, when the people that she loves have to face hardship because of her. Spoiler: As we all know, Jandi is going to leave Junpyo in ep.23 :(. Junpyo is going to have a terrible time with the breakup because Jandi has disappeared and no one knows where she is. If Jandi can't stand to watch the people that she loves suffer becuase of her, what about Junpyo? Jandi must know that Junpyo is going to suffer emotionally because of her disappearance. Jandi was like the air that Junpyo breathed and with the air gone, how is Junpyo supposed to live? If Jandi can't stand watching the people that she loves suffer because of her, does that mean that she doesn't love Junpyo?

Here's my handkerchief for your sweating bullets. Well, I actually don't have a handkerchief, just my reading of JD's character. The reason she's willing to leave JP is bc she can't stand the fact that GE and JH may suffer while she's happy being with JP. I agree that JD's character has changed from the strong fighting Wonder Girl of the earlier episodes. Right now, she's stuck in some strange zone where she's more the weed that is persistent in hunkering down and staying through the hard times. Thing with weeds is that they don't really fight back. They just never go away.

JD's ok (for lack of a better phrase) with hurting JP bc she's hurting too. And in her mind (as well as many other k-drama star-crossed lovers) it's better for just JD and JP to hurt as opposed to JP and JD being together while others are hurting bc of them. Rememer JK's Truth Game question to JP: friendship or love? JP's character is the type who refuses to give up on either. He will find a way to keep both. JD's character is willing to let one go in favor of friendship. Part of it is her loyalty; she is fiercely loyal to the point where she will give up her love for her friends. And this doesn't mean that she loves JP less or values him less than her friends. It's just that despite everything, JD still thinks that she's hurting the most. In dealing with her own loss, I don't think she really sees how JP is affected by it all. Further, JP is no longer the selfish guy he was in the beginning. He wouldn't want others to suffer bc of him. And, I think the only reason she doesn't tell JP about her deal with Darth Mama is bc (1) she doesn't want to hurt him by revealing the extent to which his mom is willing to go and (2) she doesn't want her friends to suffer while she and JP fight together. JP is stubborn and willing to take the chance of someone being hurt momentarily while he and JD fight together, but JD's character simply won't allow this to happen.

On the other hand, maybe none of this makes sense since she was perfectly willing for her family to suffer while she was dating JP. I'll just blame this inconsistency on the PD and scriptwriter again.

Guest hoistdacolors

Sorry for cutting your post.

What you showed is indeed interesting. However, although I am not a (complete) K-drama addict, what I remember from watching Goong, Full House and even the all-time tearjerker, Winter Sonata, is that the second male lead did not get anywhere near as many screen time as KHJ does in this drama. Maybe because Bi/Rain's and Bae Yong Joon's fanbases are too poweful compared to those of the supporting roles. But in Goong, the story centred around Shin and Chae-kyung, within them having many emotional connections, instead of what is being done in this drama.

I do find it strange that second male lead is getting that much screen time too. I only read the first 12 volume of goong but i know the production was faithful to the manga. KHYD, on the other hand, is taking the liberty to change majority of the story. Rui was never that big in the original story. The PD and scriptwriters' intention to change a story about two people falling in love and changing each other for the better into an all out love triangle/square squabble doesn't make much sense--unless--they are fulfilling what the Korean viewers, and not the HYD fans, want.

I am just guessing from the article that I posted earlier. :shrug:

oh and jundi fans: don't sweat it. they kissed. they confessed their love for each other. they had a date. again don't sweat it. it's all good today.

Hm..I wonder who's their gonna cast to play the older Mr Goo, aka JP's dad [still havent seen the episode 22]. And if he did finally wakes up from his comatose stage, will he be nice to our JD or actually be a scary one? ;)

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read your post carefully. I think this guy looks old enough though.

------

Didn't we already see JunPyo's dad in episode 14. He was with mini JunPyo in his dad's little red plane

48578608.jpg

The funniest part :

I am amazed that jaekyung the only guard can fight so many witch's guards. LOL Chen must be a wonder woman besides from jandi.

I loved how junpyo was getting jealous over the kid when they visit the zoo.

When jihoo grandpa commented that jihoo and jandi alone in the room is inappropriate when the door is closed.

The awkward part : lol junpyo's height and jandi's height has a real big difference when they dance. Although it was pretty awkward it could be due to their height.

The saddest but touching part: jihoo tried to confess but jandi asleep. Jaekyung took the shoes that junpyo bought for jandi and leave it as her beautiful memory.

The sweetest part: jandi and junpyo has a gentle lip touch ( i wouldn't call that a kiss). Junpyo says saranghae to jandi. Junpyo and jandi hug in the yacht. jihoo and jandi wash the car.

hug.jpg

credit:dcinside

Guest XiahxTiffany

^

^

definitely that person JD is taking care of is JP's dad

they really look similar put on a pair of sunglasses and then boom!!!

i really hope that somehow JP's mom will start liking JD