[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Ah! Can't wait! I'll be watching this since I enjoyed Hana Yori Dango [the movie and the japanese drama series]. Kinda dissapointed in the casting, but I'll bare it.

Guest ljphantom

Here is the English subbed version of the behind-the-scenes interview with the F4 actors. Click here to watch! I used gg3500's translation (note to gg3500: thanks for sharing! :)), and I either filled in the blanks of what was untranslated or edited the wording (not that the original translation was wrong; the meaning/basic gist is the same). However, I am not a native speaker, so I am open to improvements and corrections. Enjoy!

(As for the other trailer, which seems like a redundant rehash of everything we've already seen -- including the special trailer -- I should have up tomorrow. I'll sub the new dialogue as best as I can.)

Luv: Thanks for sharing!

Guest grumpynomore

i fell in love with taiwan's meteor garden.

it took me awhile to try watching japan's hana yori dango but also fell in love with it.

korean's version?! i'm sooooooooooooooo excited to watch this!

just sending my love.... especially to my fave Gukhwa, Goo Hye Sun and super duper adorable pretty boy Kim Hyun Joong!

gg3500, thank you so much for the translations!

Ljphantom, thank you for the english subbed version. My admiration for those who can do the translations, upload trailers on youtube, banners, .. well.. all the goodies! I hope I'll be able to do these some day.. (probably this will be my new year resolution :lol: )

Guest gg3500

thanks for the video and the subs, ljphantom. I'm glad you edited them because there were some weird parts that sounded awkward and parts that i didn't understand, but you fixed it

and HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

Guest elise0605

@liphantom: the video ia so great, thank you for translation. Ho is manly and handsome. His height and appearance is over standard

I watched Metor Garden and Hana yori dango (Japan version). I really like both.

I can not stand waiting watching K version any more.

Guest huangsy

Credits to RUBIE.

January 1, 2009

Wonder women, eye candy herald TV's New Year

State-run broadcaster KBS is greeting the New Year with not one but two dramas: a remake of the iconic classic "Boys over Flowers" and the epic "Iron Empress."

Historical romance "Iron Empress" hatches its 80-episode-long tale tomorrow night, spicing up the Goryeo Dynasty with the bloody escapades of a warrior woman played by veteran actress Chae Si-ra.

Chae, the feline beauty who enchanted and frightened audiences in KBS' "Sea God (2004)," reprises her role as a ruthless Amazon in the upcoming drama. "Men have been playing the lead in historical romances," said Chae, 40, at a press conference held on Dec. 19. "Now, I think it is time for women to do so. This drama will show people that there was an awesome and brave female leader during the Goryeo Dynasty."

Fearsome would be a more accurate description of the heroine, who is aptly called the Iron Empress. The fourth wife of Goryeo Dynasty founder Taejo Wang Kon, the empress ruled as the regent for her son Mok Jong, the dynasty's seventh ruler.

200901010012.jpg

Determined to realize her ambitious goals for the kingdom of Goryeo, she dons armor, battles against foreign invaders, and tramples her lover, her son and brother in her rise to power. The audience is invited to watch her transform into a cold-hearted warrior.

"Every year we do a big scale drama," said Senior Producer/Director of KBS Drama Team 2 Choi Jee-yeong, 39. "It represents KBS. Last year we did 'King Sejong.' Usually we cover the Joseon Dynasty, but this one looks into the Goryeo Dynasty."

Highlighting the gory reign of an empress, endowing her with a warrior's skills and the brain of a brilliant politician, KBS' big scale drama sets the tone for 2009.

The conniving queen no longer serves as the villainess of the period piece, but takes center stage. Hamlet is relegated to the corner and Gertrude gets the limelight.

The maneuver compels female audiences to tune into a hitherto male-dominated genre. And as if in response to some divine plan, KBS is also giving women some serious eye candy with its new Monday and Tuesday night drama "Boys over Flowers."

Based on the hit comic series of the same name, many would agree that "Boys" derives its popularity from F4; or four good-looking and wealthy male characters. The first TV drama version, produced in Taiwan, catapulted the four leading actors to fame. It was followed by the Japanese TV version, which also garnered success. And now, KBS looks set to hit yet another homerun with the perennial favorite.

"Boys" director Jun Ki-sang has a track record for popular yet hackneyed dramas like KBS' "Delightful Girl Choon-hyang (2005)" and SBS' "My Girl (2006)," making him a perfect fit for the lighthearted comic book fantasy. "The production company and the original comic book publisher requested that we make this drama as close to the original as possible," said director Jun in a press conference on Dec. 22.

"At first I rejected the offer to direct because it has already been produced in other countries. But when the offer came again and they said that the expectations of Koreans were different. I felt that there were challenges to be met."

A sort of "Pride and Prejudice" for Asian audiences, the surefire story of a poor girl, her rich suitor and her three knights need not rely on the potentially diverse expectations of a nation's audience to ensure its success. In the words of production company Group Eight's "Boys over Flowers" project manager Bae Jong-byung: "I think people will watch it because it is a well-written and fun story. It will do well as a remake."

The key, however, lies in the charm of its four leading actors and the pluck of its solitary heroine. All four male leads bear an uncanny resemblance to their comic book counterparts, which could be, in part, due to the extensive auditioning process they underwent.

Leader of the boy band SS501 Kim Hyun-joong stands out as Hanazawa Rui, called Yoon Ji-hoo in the Korean version. His sweet and quirky antics in the hit MBC reality show "We Got Married (2008)" have already made him something of a celebrity, and his role as the introverted, aloof yet cavalier Rui promises to attract more female fans.

"When we did the kiss scene, I was very nervous," said Kim Hyun-joong, 22, referring to his scene with Koo Hye-sun, who plays the heroine. "Koo Hye-sun said, 'Just do it.' We finished filming after 10 takes." "10 kisses," he iterated with a grin.

Actress Koo Hye-sun, smiled when asked about the 10-kiss scene, before stating: "There were technical issues." "My character could be a target for envy because she becomes a Cinderella in an instant. I think it would be best to live vicariously through her."

Koo, who gained popularity as the lead in the period drama "The King and I (2007)," is taking on the role of Makino Tsukushi -- called Geum Jan-di in the Korean version. The heroine is first pestered and ostracized by four of the most popular boys at her school before winning them over with her pluck and strength.

Actor Lee Min-ho will be playing Koo's love interest, Domyoji Tsukasa, called Goo Joon-pyo in the Korean version. Actor Kim Bum and rapper Kim Joon will be playing the remaining two male leads. "Boys" airs its first episode on Monday on KBS 2 TV at 9:55 p.m.

"Iron Empress" starts airing tomorrow night on KBS 2 TV at 10:15 p.m.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/dat...00901020019.asp

My only disagreement with the above article is:..."Koo, who gained popularity as the lead in the period drama "The King and I (2007),"

Hye Sun stormed her way into my own heart (as I assume most viewers, as well :unsure: ) as the unforgetable, undefeatable, inspirational "Yang Gukwha"!!!! :rolleyes:

Despite any role that comes after hers in Pure in Heart, she will always be Gukwha to me. :wub:

Guest ljphantom

Here is the English subbed version of the Boys Before Flowers Highlights. Click here to watch! I used virvir111's translation as well as my own version in the old scenes, and I filled in the blanks of the new dialogue. Enjoy!

Actually, maybe it didn't say "icy," for side characters I didn't try all that much for the translations. From what I recall, I got the vibe that she would be portrayed as more feminine and quiet and introverted, but she would do a 180 when she starts to like KimBum. :)

Interesting... thanks Happy Day!

Guest Mcountdown

01/02 [news] SS501 members: “HyunJoong, Fighting~"

Assists for ‘Boys Over Flowers’ soundtrack

th_img3830gz6.jpg

Male group SS501 gathered together for Kim HyunJoong.

SS501 completed the soundtrack recently for KBS 2TV Mon-Tue mini series “Boys over Flowers”.

The song, whose title has not been decided yet, will be used as the theme song for SS501 member Kim HyunJoong who acts as Yoon JiHoo in the drama. Their company DSP Entertainment representative said “The members sang this song in order to support Kim HyunJoong who ventured into acting. They recorded 2 versions, ballad and dance. All 5 members participated for the ballad version while the dance version is sung by Kim KyuJong, Heo YoungSaeng and Kim HyungJoon.”

SS501 members are having their own activities recently. Kim HyunJoong will appear in ‘Boys Over Flowers” to be broadcasted on the 5th onwards. Park JungMin goes on stage in musical ‘Grease’ while Kim KyuJong, Kim HyungJoon and Heo YoungSaeng released a single ‘U R MAN’. They will continue with their individual activities until May and release their official album in June.

Credits : wing@sportshankook.co.kr + SS601.com + (English Translation) xiaochu @ Quainte501.com

Guest bazelette

OoOooo. I can't wait! I loved Hana Yori, except towards the end where Makino acted really out of character but the beginning storyline in the first drama was superb. However, I feel uneasy that Goo Hye Sun is Makino because from what I've seen from the long preview, her acting seems really stiff and unnatural. I hope it doesn't become one of those hyped-up dramas that become flops. Korean Dom is really cute though.

Even if it starts on the 5th, it probably won't be on streaming sites till the next day. Pure torture!

I'm looking at all the pictures again and I'm really amazed by Minho's hair.

I thought the pictures in his cyworld when he still had straight hair was hot but with his new permed hair, he looks super fine!

Since Goo Hye Sun's hair is really short, I wonder if they'll include that scene where Hanazawa Rui was cutting Makino's hair for her with a cutter.

I thought that was a really sweet moment up until Domyouji came and made it all awkward.

Guest Tobemist

A bunch of goodies are coming our way apart from the long awaited first broadcast... hehe :D The cast will be making appearances at various TV shows. I envy those who can watch KBS live ^^.

Saturday Jan 3rd, 9:05 PM - KBS "Entertainment Weekly"

Boys Over Flowers Introduction + New Caledonia Filming Coverage

Monday Jan 5th, 9:30AM, KBS "Yeo Yoo Man Man"

Boys Over Flowers 30 Minutes Special + Local Filming Coverage

Tuesday Jan 13th, 11:05PM, KBS " Sang Sang Plus"

Boys Over Flowers Cast An Seok-Hwan, Gu Hye Seon, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum

Another happy news... apparently the food stylist from Goong will be in charge of the food styling in Boys Over Flowers. We'll be treated to another food galore... YES! :D

i notice that the party scene..they actually follow the japanese version not the manga..since in manga.. when the mean girls invited her and say that she has to wear a casual outfit is different from the scene where she had her first kissed from domyouji..

I also had similar thoughts when I read about the storyline between Yi Jung and Eun Chae (Sara). It seems like they will be following the Jdrama version on that as well... with Yi Jung misunderstanding Eun Chae for liking his elder brother... but I don't remember the manga had anything like that. I thought Soujiro knows that Sara likes him but he just didn't have the courage to start anything with her because he was afraid that their relationship will change. Anyone want to correct me on this? It's been a while since I last read the manga.

Guest ljphantom

gg3500: The basic gist/meaning of your translation was right, though -- as far as I could tell. Thanks for your contributions; I hope you will visit this thread often. :)

sageur, elise0605, dramalovers26, hopesofgreen, darcyausten86: No problem. I was glad to do it.

I also had similar thoughts when I read about the storyline between Yi Jung and Eun Chae (Sara). It seems like they will be following the Jdrama version on that as well... with Yi Jung misunderstanding Eun Chae for liking his elder brother... but I don't remember the manga had anything like that. I thought Soujiro knows that Sara likes him but he just didn't have the courage to start anything with her because he was afraid that their relationship will change. Anyone want to correct me on this? It's been a while since I last read the manga.

It's been awhile since I've read the manga as well... For some reason, I thought that was in the manga storyline, but now that you've mentioned it, I think you're right.

BTW, thanks for sharing all the info! Those goodies should be on Daum TVPot --> dcinside --> YouTube sooner or later after its broadcast.

ETA: Did some research (I don't personally own any of the manga), trying to find something through Google search, and came up with a little review on Volume 28 of Hana Yori Dango by one manga fansite here:

My favorite part of this volume was the side story about Sojiro. It nicely tied together a story thread that’s running through the main series, and also explored a painful lesson that he was forced to learn. Sojiro’s “One encounter, one chance,” philosophy of life is shaken to the core when he lets down his friend, the perky Sara. When she leaves a message for him to meet her at a building overlooking Tokyo Tower, he selfishly ignores her pleas, thinking that there will always be another time to meet her. The chapter was emotionally charged, as Sojiro learns, much too late, just how dear Sara’s friendship was to him.

I can't vouch for the verifiability of the site, but it does tie in with what you said about Soujiro being afraid of committing to a serious relationship with Sara (and therefore, thinking he could meet her another time).

To be honest, I like the manga setup better -- it's refreshing and less cliched (for the lack of a better word), but it's not a big deal to me. Perhaps the scriptwriter believed the whole "I-thought-Eun Chae-liked-my-brother" angle would give more dramatic tension?

Guest Chianna

^ That's my how I remember the manga going, Soujiroh realised Sara had feelings for him and dealt with it by avoiding the situation. I think how they handle Soujiroh/Sara will really depend on how they're planning Soujiroh/Yuki to play out. Follow the manga and then add on a happy ending or a different storyline with elements of the manga?

I'm not looking forward to Monday because it means going back to college but come on Monday! Does anyone have access to the live feed?

Guest ljphantom

^Unfortunately, no.

But I do have...

UPDATES

SHINee, who sang for the Korean release of Hana Yori Dango Final OST, is confirmed to be in KBS2's Boys Before Flowers OST. Apparently, they are singing three songs for it. There's speculation that SHINee will be singing the opening.

source: dcinside

Here are some music videos of the bands Someday (a.k.a 4 Men) and SHINee, both who will be singing in the OST:

Someday: Present, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fpUYsoEUjs, To Love One Person, Confession

SHINee: In My Room (HYD Final promo clip), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sYuQhy8M-k, Love Like Oxygen, A.Mi.Go

Oh, and someone posted a photo of copies of Episode 5 and 6 scripts (the caption beneath it in a daum blog says reporters found them):

Scripts.jpg

I'm NOT entirely sure, but judging by the blog entry, they seem to cover the storyline (in which Jan-di, Ga-eul, and F4 go to Jun-pyo's family resort) filmed in New Caledonia...

Photos of the cast and crew shooting in New Caledonia:

NC1.jpg

NC2.jpg

NC3.jpg

NC4.jpg

NC5.jpg

The little girl in the fourth photo was the one who gave (delivered?) flowers to Jan-di.

source: daum blog, dcinside