[drama 2008] Daughter-in-law 며느리와 며느님

Guest huangsy

Guest valkyrie

WOW! What a fantastic treat... I haven't popped in here for a a few days and I get a wonderful gift! ^^

Thanks Bijan630, this is as good as watching with english subs!

This is a very well-written and well-acted drama. Plus, no drama has made me feel this angry before.

I really can't wait to see all the meanies get their just desserts, the weaklings their punishment and SJ to gain some kind of self worth and freedom/independence. How can she tolerate living such a repressed and suffocating life! Everytime there's a hint of some retribution, it flitters away, so near and yet so far...

Really appreciate the summaries and the translations!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bijan630

Happy New Year Valkyrie......I was wondering if you were still keeping up with this.

You're welcome again playprtnd.

I know this is disrespectful, but I want to slap that MIL soooooo badly that I can feel my hands hurt. She has such a vicious tongue to constantly talk horribly about Soon-jung's father. But when she said that it was Soon-jung's dead mother's responsibility to babysit her own grandchild, I realized this woman could no longer sit any lower. Soon-jung's face, as those words hit her to the core of her being could only tell her MIL that her words are really cruel and she knows how hurt her.

When the writers decided to allow Soon-jung to finally wake up and look at her entire life since she got married, AND, to now do something about it, I wanted to cheer her on. I'm also watch her husband, Gang-san's change in attitude towards her since he got that job. It's only been a few weeks, but now he's in domination mode.

It was really sad to watch the episode in which to make money on the side, Soon-jung would make kimchi and side dishes to sell to the people in the area. They really loved her food. Her dear, sweet mother-in-law got angry and told her to stop doing it because she was broadcasting to the neighbors that her husband was unemployed and that Soon-jung was supporting him. Mind you, her MIL used to collect the money from the people and only give SJ what she felt she earned while pocketing the rest for, "household expenses".

I wonder what kind of punishment the writers have in store for the MIL and her entire family when everything comes to light.

So far, we have Gang-san's dream about Min-hyuk and Joon wishing that SJ was his mother. Again, will the writers allow SJ to divorce and leave the Ma family to get back on the path she was once on?

Guest lavie123

I've been watching the raw episodes the past 3 weeks. Tonight is the final episode. I dear not comment as I did not see the begininng or middle. But is it interesting reading you all post and finding out how the characters got into the state they are currently in.

So far the ending is ok. It's nothing to write home about but I think you all will not be dissappointed with it. I'm sure it will have much more meaning with the subtitles.

What Happened in the final episode? Please let us know, I want to know if it's worth watching the rest.

Guest Bijan630

Here you go and I hope you enjoy it.

Daughter in Law EPISODE 56

Opening scene, Woo-jin, Soo-ri's ex lover from Paris has burst into her office at the boutique

WJ: Weren't you afraid after breaking my heart and ruining my life?

SR to Asst: Leave us alone.

SR: I never ruined your life. I told you that I no longer had feelings for you. You just couldn't accept that it was over for us! What makes you think you can barge in here and make a scene? What are you going to do now that I'm a married woman?

WJ: You're as confident and unapologetic as ever. This is the Isabel I fell in love with. That's why I still love you.

SR: What in the hell are you saying?

WJ: Stay with me tonight.

SR: You expect me to say okay to that?

WJ: If you don't, I don't know what I might do. But if you do as I say, it'll be the last time you ever see me.

JR: You're insane!

WJ: You can do whatever you want if you want to see what an insane person can do. Your husband's name is Ma Gang-min. He's a Seoul city judge. Age 34.

SR: You.....

WJ: Don't make me even more of a jerk. I gave you my terms. So if you stay with me, it'll be our last night together.

At Gang-min's office, he gets a phone call from Joo-ri.

****Special note, Gang-min's assistant is Woo-jin's brother-in-law****

GM to asst: I feel like the plaintiff is coming across as the defendant.

Asst: Now that you mention it, I feel that way too.

GM: Don't you? Excuse me. Hi, Joo-ri

JR: I'm going out of town to attend a funeral.

GM: What? Who died?

JR: My high school friend's father died.

GM: Where are you going? I'll go with you.

JR: No, it's far away. I'm going to Jinjoo. So a bunch of my friends are going together.

GM: When are you coming back?

JR: I won't know until I get there, but I think tomorrow afternoon.

GM: You're not even feeling well. You should just send your condolences.

JR to WJ: Just keep your promise. Tonight will be our last night, and you won't touch me tonight.

Soon-jung and Joon in his bedroom

SJ: Does your mom look like me?

Joon: No! Joon's mom has long hair. She has huge eyes and she's ver beautiful.

SJ: So you're saying I'm not beautiful?

Joon: Joon's mom's number one, but you're number two.

SJ: Number two? All right....(phone rings) Let me get that. I don't recognize this number. Hello?

MH: This is Joon's dad.

SJ: Hi

SJ to Joon: It's your dad.

MH: I'm sorry I haven't met you in person yet.

SJ: Mr. Yoon told me what a busy man you are.

MH: Is Joon a handfull? I'm relieved to hear that.

Mr. Yoon to MH: The meeting's about to start.

MH: I'll be right in.

MH to SJ: I have to go now because I have a meeting. I'll be home around 4 today. Please tell Joon that.

MH to self: I'm thankful that I could hear your voice.

At the Ma house

GS to GJ: You haven't eaten yet?

GJ: I haven't had the time.

GJ to SJ: Hi! Didn't you hear me say I want you to make my dinner? I'm hungry.

SJ: You can set the table yourself. The rice is in the pot and the side dishes are in the fridge.

GJ: What? You want me to set the table myself when I worked all day?

SJ: You're not the only one who works. I worked all day too and I just got out of the kitchen after making dinner for the family.

GJ: What a disrespectful witch you are!

GS: What's wrong with you two?

FIL: What in the hell are you talking about?

MIL: So loud....

FIL: Are you out of your mind? Know your place!

MIL: I want to accept the apartment because I know my place. When would we ever get an opportunity to live in that huge apartment? The opportunity is there....

FIL: Why should we accept the apartment?

MIL: If I had asked for it, it would be bad. But Joo-ri's mom wants to give it to us, so why refuse it? Joo-ri's mom's company builds apartments! Giving a us a unit is nothing to her! It's just a drop in the ocean for her! Why are you packing a bag? What are you doing? Honey!

GS: Dad!

FIL: Get out! Get out of this house right now!

MIL: Honey

FIL: If you want to live in an apartment that desperately, get out and live in it by yourself! I don't want to live with someone who doesn't want to live here!

MIL: I want the whole family to move into that apartment.

FIL to GS: You can go with her if you want to move out. I'm going to live her until I die.

SJ: Father!

GS: Dad, no one's going anywhere.

FIL: This house may not seem like much to people. But this house is my life. I started out in a studio and moved 12 times before I could buy this house! I cried when I hung my name plate out on the door. My dad passed away without every owning his own home. I was elated to finally own a house of my own! I worked day and night to buy a house for my kids, and now you want to move to an apartment!? Why would I accept an apartment from Joo-ri's mom? Do you think I have no pride?

MIL: You don't have to think that way.She's graciously giving it to us so we should accept it happily.

GS: Stop it Mom!

FIL: So you should go. You should live where you want to. I can't stop you.

GS: Dad...

Gang-san and Soon-jung in the kitchen

SJ: Gang-san.

Gs: Why is life so hard?

Joo-ri's mom, uncle and Gang-min in their living room

Mom: I didn't know she had a close friend.

GM: She said it was a high school friend.

MM: Exactly what I mean. She hasn't kept in touch with anyone.

GM: She doesn't have friends?

MM: Joo-ri's not the type to go out of her way for anyone. How strange......

UN: Sis, Joo-ri wouldn't lie about something like that.

MM: True

UN: When you come back after living abroad, your friends seem more important than when you left.

GM: I see...

Joo-ri and Woo-jin at his apartment

WJ: How much longer are you going to pout? You haven't touched your spaghetti. I made it just for you.

JR: This is an obsession. Please come to your senses Woo-jin. You weren't like this before. What's with all of those pictures? Why have you changed like this?

WJ: When I first started seeing you, this wasn't the end I imagined. I thought I could just keep my cool and have some fun with you like you suggested. Actually, I was worried that you'd cling to me when I wanted to break up. I would've never started seeing you if I'd known I'd end up so pathetic.

JR: I can't stand to see you anymore.

WJ: Don't go! You promised me that you'd stay with me. (phone rings) Don't answer it!

GM to JR: Did you arrive safely?

JR: Yes

GM: What's with the music? Are you at a funeral?

JR: I'm at a coffee shop having coffee. I have to go now.

GM: Okay.

GM to self: Why did I only hear music and not people talking? What am I thinking about? I'm better than this.

WJ: Isabel.

JR: I won't drink it.

WJ: It's your favorite Gruziya wine.

JR: No! Never! Are you crazy! Let go of me! Get this straight! I have no feelings left for you whatsoever. Do you think I came here because I was afraid of you? I only came because I felt sorry for you since I once did like you. But.....

WJ: I love you enough to kill myself.

JR: You....What do you think you're doing?

WJ: You never loved me? Not even for a second? That's not true. You loved me.

JR: Don't do this Woo-jin. Doing this won't change anything.

WJ: Tell me that you love me! No, tell me that you loved me! Then I think I could forget you.

JR: Doing things like this won't change my feelings. Don't threaten me with corny threats.

WJ: Corny? Tonight may be the last night of my life, and you think I'm corny?

JR: Are you crazy? Don't!

WJ: I don't!.....I don't want to live my life without you! Tell me please, Please!

JR: The man I love is Ma Gang-min.

WJ: It's all over! I don't need your empty words!

JR: Woo-jin....

WJ: GO! Leave!

****Joo-ri leaves the apartment while Woo-jin is holding a piece of broken glass to his wrist****

Gang-min is in Joo-ri's bedroom and picks up a photo album she has on her desk

****Date and signature on dress design, 2005-3 Isabel****

GM to self: Isabel? I've heard this name before.

****Flashback to scene in which Joo-ri slapped Woo-jin in the face****

WJ: Isabel

***GM drops album onto the floor***

Joo-ri entering the bedroom after sleeping in her car all night

GM: You're home. Why did you come back already?

JR: I left at dawn.

GM: Did you come back with your friends?

JR: Let's talk later. I'm tired.

GM: Sure.

At Soon-jung's father's house

Dad: Why hasn't Young-hoon been coming by lately?

SIS: I don't know?

Dad: He hasn't been in touch with you?

Sis: No.

Soon-Jung and Joon sitting at the table

****SJ is remembering what her FIL said****

FIL: This house may not seem like much to people, but this house is my life. I started out in a studio and moved 12 times before I could buy this house!

Joon to SJ: Ma'am, beans

SJ: What?

Joon: Beans

SJ: Oh..Okay...beans. I'm sorry. I was thinking about something.

Joon: Did I do well?

SJ: You did well! You're a good boy! I'll tell your dad to praise you for not picking at your food anymore.

Joon: Let's go outside and play.

SJ: Joon, do you want to go somewhere with me? But you'll have t play alone for about 20 minutes.

Soon-jung brings Joon with her to Joo-ri's boutique.

Asst: Hello!

SJ to Asst: Is Joo-ri here?

Asst: She just came.

SJ: Can you watch him whle I talk with her?

Asst: Sure

SJ: Thank you.

SJ to Joon: Stay with the nice lady.

Soon-jung and Joo-ri in her office

JR: Yes? What's this about? I'm not feeling well.

SJ: I have to talk to you.

JR: Actually, I have something to talk to you about too.

SJ: What is it?

JR: I understand you're working as a housekeeper.

SJ: How did you find out?

JR: Mother told me that everyone's stressed out because of you. So write your bank account number on there.

SJ: Why?

JR: Quit your job as a housekeeper. I'll deposit whatever you make in your account.

SJ: I came here because....

JR: Didn't you hear me say write down your account number? Why are you ignoring what I said and upsetting me?

SJ: You're upset because I ignored what you said, but you can't imagine how upset I must be right now?

JR: What?

SJ: Put yourself in my shoes. How would you feel if I told you to quit your job here?

JR: So, you intentionally ignore what I said?

SJ: No, I didn't feel the need to dignify that with an answer. How could you tell me to quit my job? It may seem like nothing to you, but it's my job. You can't tell me to quit my job.

JR: You shouldn't be saying this a to me.

JR: Tell Mother that. I only said what I said because shee begged me to help her.

JR: She said she wanted you to quit but she couldn't force you to quit because she couldn't pay you what you're making. She told me to think of it as contributing to the family's household expenses and give her the money.

At Gang-min's office, he's sitting at his desk writing

GM to self: Isabel....

Asst: What? Woo-jin did what? Alright, I'll be right there.

GM: What's the matter?

Asst: I'm sorry, but tell our boss that I had to leave on an emergency.

GM: Okay

Back at the boutique with Soo-jin and Joo-ri

SJ: You should stop creating such a ruckus. Don't you know what you've done?

JR: What do you mean I created a ruckus?

SJ: Father almost threw Mother out of the house because of the apartment matter. How many times have you created problems since you got married? Father talked to you many times asking you to respect the way we live. Why do you keep creating problems?

JR: So you came to question me?

SJ: No, I came to ask you a favor.

JR: A favor?

SJ: I wish you wouldn't do things that upset Father. I don't know how you feel about him, but he's a great man. He inherited poverty from his parents, and lived a...

JR: I don't upset him. He upsets himself. He doesn't approve of anything I do because of his pride.

SJ: So do things with your heart and not your money.

JR: Rich children can be good to their parents with money, and poor children can be good to them in other ways. You can't expect everyone to be the same. I'd rather give him $100.00 than spend one hour with him. He should accept my way.

SJ: How can you even say something like that? Doing things your husband's parents want.....

JR: He's not Gang-min's only parent.

JR: Mother likes what I do, but Father doesn't. So you can't force me to do things only Father likes.

Asst to Joon: Don't go in there.

JR: Who's that?

Joon: Mommy!

JR: What's wrong with you kid?

****Tomorrow's preview....Soon-jung's sis is presenting her portfolio to Joo-ri and Joo-ri wants her to sign a contract.****

What Happened in the final episode? Please let us know, I want to know if it's worth watching the rest.

Hi lavie123 I think you will be ok if you continue. You won't be jumping for joy but you definately will not pull your hair out! :)

The ending was fairly realistic considering what I know now. It's not like JR abandon her son, she thought he had die. Not all of SJ's misery was caused by her husband's family, some of it was self inflicted through her decison to be a filial child without a brain.

So all in all JR was exposed and SJ got her act together. Things worked out in a realistic manner.

Thanks Bijan630 for episode 56. This is really a good series. Thanks!

Guest Bijan630

Here's today's episode for you. Enjoy!

Daughter in Law EPISODE 57

Opening scene with Soon-jung, Joon, Joo-ri at the boutique

JR:.....Who's this boy?

SJ:.....Joon, are you okay?

Joon....Ma'am

JR:.....Did you bring him? Why di he call me his mom? Is he retarded?

SJ:.....How could you psh him like that? What if he got hurt? Joon, I made you wait too long. Let's go.

Joon....Mommy, Mommy!

JR:.....What's wrong with him?

SJ:.....Joon, that's not your mom. Your mom's in heaven.

Joon....No, no, she's my mommy!

SJ......Joon

JR......Hurry up and leave!

SJ......I'm sorry. I guess you look like his mom. He said she had big eyes and long hair.

SJ to Joon......Let's go.

Joon....Mommy, Mommy, I'm Joon!

SJ......Come on Joon

JR to self....Such strange things happening lately.....

Soon-jung and Joon outside of the boutique

SJ......Joon, she's not your mom. Stop crying. Joon. Don't cry.

Soon-jung's sister arriving at the boutique to meet with Joo-ri

JR......Who is it now?

Sis.....Hello.

JR......Come on in. I heard you stopped by yesterday.

Sis.....I was in the area. Here's my portfolio. I think we should talk after you take a look at it.

JR......Just as I thought. I think your style fits perfectly with the concept for my new brand.

Sis.....Then I'd like to work with you if you could meet my terms.

JR......Really? Your salary requirement is quite high.

Sis.....I know I'm worth it.

JR......You don't want to have set working hours. Is it because of school?

Sis.....That and I don't have an accommodating personality to work within an organization with set of rules.

JR......This is trouble. I'm known to have a nasty personality too. What if we end up in a fight? (phone rings) Yes, Mom. An acupuncturist? No, I'm just tired. Okay then, see you later.

JR to Sis.....Alright, let's sign the contract today.

At the Ma house

MIL.....That grumpy old man. Why does he put his pride before anything? Doesn't he know that we should just accept what's given to us graciously? Why do I have to miss out on this fantastic opportunity to live in a luxurious apartment?

Ae-kyung....Grandma, I'm hungry.

MIL.....I told you to eat when you got back from daycare. Your mom will be home soon.

AK......Mom..Mom..

MIL.....Your mom's so bad. She makes me watch you while she goes out working as a housekeeper.

At Joon's house

SJ......Joon. Joon, she's not your mom. Joon

Joon....Mommy!

****Min-Hyuk is receiving a phone call from Soon-jung and it's listed as, "First Love"

MH......Yes, Soon....

Joon in background....Mommy!

MH......Is Joon crying?

SJ......I'm sorry, but can you please hurry and come home as soon as possible? Joon has been crying for over 2 hours.

MH......I'll be right home.

MH to Mr. Yoon.....Let's go home.

MrY.....Joon. Hi. Joon Let's go to your daddy.

SJ......His dad didn't come?

MrY.....He'll be home soon. You can go home now.

SJ......But my work hours aren't over yet.

MrY.....It's all right.

MrY to Joon.....It's alright. Come on now.

SJ......Bye.

Joon....Mommy!

****Min-hyuk runs in after he makes sure that Soon-jung has left*****

MH.....Dad's home. Joon!

Joon...Daddy!

MH......What's wrong? Why are you crying? What's wrong? I'm home, so don't cry. I'll read your favorite book.

Joon....Mommy!

Soon-jung and her Father-in-law at his office

SJ......Father.

FIL.....What brings you here?

SJ......I stopped by on my way home.

FIL.....You should've just gone straight home. You must be tired.

SJ......I bought some acorn jelly for you from your favorite restaurant.

FIL.....You went all the way there?

SJ......Have some. You usually eat a snack at this time.

FIL.....You went all that way just for me?

SJ......I want you to eat this and cheer up.

FIL.....do you want to go live in an apartment?

SJ......What?

FIL.....Most women like living in apartments.

SJ......You'd move if I said yes?

FIL.....You're a woman too.

SJ......I like living at the house. Living in apartments can be suffocating. You can't even put clothes out on a clothes line to dry when you live in an apartment.

FIL.....You don't have to say that just to make me feel better.

SJ......I'm not just saying it. I have to hand wash blankets in the yard to feel like they're really clean. And I like drying different seasonal spices out in the yard. I guess I'm a little old-fashioned.

FIL.....I've been feeling bad all day today. I feel like maybe I'm being too stubborn when your mother-in-law wants so much to live in an apartment, and I feel bad for you.

SJ......You don't have to feel bad for me at all. Really Father.

FIL.....Your mother-in-law's had a hard life ever since she married me. Being money crazy is part of her personality, but it's also because she's been poor.

SJ......Yes...

FIL.....I don't make much money, and I'm not kind to her. And I know I'm very stubborn. She didn't marry well.

SJ......Actually, you're very good to her. You may not have made a lot of money, but she never had to work for money either. You've been supporting the family by working hard and you never had affairs.

FIL.....I never had time to look at other women. I was too busy trying to make ends meet.

SJ......You're a great man no matter what anyone says. You raised Gang-min to be a great judge.

FIL.....I thought that was one good thing I did, but nowadays, I'm not so sure.

At Gang-min's office as he's receiving a call

phone message.....Gang-min, call me.

GM to self.....What now? He scares me.

At Gang-ja's office with Gang-san

GS......Soon-jung talked to Dad, so you should talk to Mom. Mom's still not budging.

GJ......It's amazing that Mom and Dad have stayed married when they're such opposites. They don't agree on anything.

GS......Mom was wrong this time. How could Dad accept an apartment?

GJ......What woman wouldn't want to accept an apartment for free? I'm sure Soon-jung wants to move too.

GS......Stop it!

GJ......You startled me! You don't have to yell.

GS......Didn't you hear Dad say he cried while hanging his name plate on the house? The house is not just a house to him! It represents his pride and life! (phone rings) Yes, Gang-min.

GM......What, what do you want?

GS......I was wondering if you could come home for dinner tonight. Soon-jung got her first paycheck, so we're having pork belly.

GM......You want me to come for just pork belly? You think I have nothing better to do?

GS......I know you're busy, but don't act like you're the only judge in the country.

GM......Your attitude is getting on my nerves.

GJ to GS....What's the matter with you?

GS to GM....You rarely come to the house since getting married! Why do you act like you're not even part of the family anymore? To be honest, we're having a special dinner tonight to smooth out the problem you and your wife created! What, but your say you have better things to do? So are you only going to come to the house when Mom and Dad die?

GJ to GS....You're losing your temper again! Give it to me!

GJ to GM....Hi Gang-min.

GM......What do you mean I created a problem? HUH! Oh, hi Gang-ja. What's wrong with him? Why is he yelling at me? Oh, I heard. Joo-ri's mother offered to give Dad an apartment. Dad already came to see me and scolded me. I have too much work to do. Bye

GM to self.....Everyone's on my case.

GJ to GS......You have to control your temper. You can't just get mad at him like that.

GS......Is he the only judge in the country? He's never come home for a meal since he got married! He hasn't even had a housewarming! Think about how Mom and Dad raised him! He's really getting on my nerves.

GJ......You know that once he puts his mind to something, he just has to finish it. That's why he's where he is. He's very busy.

GS......But he has time to go to his in-laws!

GJ......What are you talking about?

GS......Who knows if he's really busy or he just doesn't want to come?

GJ......Hey, hey, you seem to know something. Tell me.

GS......I don't know anything. Let's go.

GJ......You're hiding something.

GS......Come on

At the Ma house

MIL..... I told you , I don't want to eat.

GJ......Just make up with Dad.

GS......Soon-jung bought pork belly because she got paid.

SJ......Here come the vegetables.

MIL.....Why did you have to do this tonight when you could do it any other night?

SJ......I forgot that you and Father fought.

GJ's husband.....You and I must have telepathy. I wanted to eat pork belly tonight.

SJ......Really? Please enjoy it.

GS......Dad, let me pour you a drink.

FIL.....Okay, let's all have a drink. I think everyone's here.

GS......Mom

MIL.....I don't want it.

GJ......Mom, come on. Don't be shy. You can't stay mad forever.

MIL.....Not you too. Are you all conspiring to kill me?

GJ......Why would we want to make Dad a widower?

MIL.....He won't bat an eye even if I die.

FIL.....I won't let that happen. I can't let your mom die before me. I'd have to bow to her if she dies before me. I have to die before her so she'll bow to me.

MIL.....No, I'll die first and see you cry your eyes out.

GS......No, you should die together at the same time, holding hands.

MIL.....Hey! No way. I don't want to be with him even after death when I'm sick of living with him right now!

FIL.....Mrs. Ma, live a long life. Just don't get sick in your old age.

MIL.....You!

Joo-ri and her mother in the bedroom

Mm......Get some rest. You heard the acupuncturist. He said he could see you were under a lot of stress. Just relax and don't think about your in-laws. And you should start exercising again.

Mm to GM....You're home early.

GM......I was worried about Joo-ri. What did the acupuncturist say?

Mm......He said Joo-ri was under a lot of stress. So please make sure she relaxes and gets a lot of rest.

GM......Okay

GM to JR......Did he say it was that bad?

JR......Don't worry. I'm just tired.

GM......Joo-ri

JR......Yes?

GM......Isa...Never mind. Just get some rest.

JR......You silly man....

Gang-min sitting outside of Joo-ri's bedroom

GM to self.....What if she admits that she's Isabel? Then what? Do I ask her what her relationship is with that man? There's no end to it once I start getting suspicious. I should ignore what I saw.

At the Ma house

GS......Hey...You're so pretty honey.

SJ......Are you drunk?

GS......No, I'm not drunk at all. I drank a lot, but I'm not drunk.

SJ......So why are you talking nonsense?

GS......I'm not talking nonsense. You really look pretty tonight.

SJ......Just go to sleep so you won't be late for work. You'd better not get fired from your job.

GS......You're heartless. I'm paying you a compliment, and that's all you can say?

SJ......So why say something you don't even mean?

GS......I do mean it! I'm burning up with love for you!

SJ......What? Burning up? Why did you turn out the light? I'm putting on lotion.

GS......You're so pretty

SJ......Stop!

GS......Stay still

SJ......Stop! I can't do it tonight. Honey!

GS......I have to.

SJ......No!

GS......Honey!

At Soon-jung's father's house

Sis.....Who could that be so early in the morning? Hello?

Unc.....I'm outside. Come on out.

Sis.....Do you know what time it is?

Unc.....It's 6

Sis.....Are you out of your mind? Hello? Hello? What's up with him?

Unc.....Yu-jung, come on out! Yu-jung!

Sis.....Is that man crazy? Why is he waking me up?

Unc.....Lee Yu-jung, come outside!

Father....What's going on? Isn't that Young-hoon?

Sis.....Stay inside.

Father....I'll go out and see what he wants. He just called me. Is he outside?

Sis.....Just stay here Dad!

Father....Why are you yelling at me?

Unc.....Yu-jung!

Sis.....What do you think you're doing? Why are you calling out my name?

Unc.....I have something to tell you.

Sis.....What is it? You didn't have time to eat with me, but you show up now....What are you doing?

Unc.....Get in.

Sis.....What?

Unc.....Today's the last day of the month, so let's go out on a date one last time.

Sis.....One last time?

Unc.....Get in

Sis.....Wait, I'll go change.

Unc.....Just get in.

Soon-jung at the house

(phone message).....You don't have to come today. I'll stay home with Joon because he's not feeling well.

SJ to self.....I wonder if it's serious? He must miss his mom so much to thinks Joo-ri's his mom just because she has long hair. Poor thing.... I should make some snacks for him.

At Joon's house as Min-hyuk goes to answer the doorbell

MH......Mr. Yoon, you didn't have to come....

*****Scene ends with Min-hyuk opening the door to see Soon-jung standing there*****

Guest mark03049

Thanks to bijan630 and many others who post here. I'm new, having stumbled onto this kdrama about six weeks ago, which airs in NYC on TKC.

A big question is how Soon-jung's marriage to Gang-san will weather her eventual encounter/reunion with Ming-hyuk. We are about to find about, now that they have met at the end of episode 57. As we saw earlier in episode 57, the Ma family (minus the eldest son, Gang-min, and his spoiled wife) had a pretty joyful gathering the night before to celebrate Soon-jung's first paycheck. Everyone seemed reconciled as they joked and laughed -- including Soon-Jung and Gang-san who enjoyed a little conjugal coupling under the blanket after the lights were turned off !! All that marital bliss and reconciliation is at risk now that Soon-jung and Min-hyuk are about to meet again.

Even though the basic story is contrived (after all, what are the odds that two teenage rivals from vastly different economic classes will marry into the same family in one of the world's largest cities?), the characters in this kdrama genuinely interest me. Soon-Jung and her father-in-law are admirable for their integrity, loyalty and work ethic. The other characters range from the pathetic (for example, the opportunistic brother-in-law Judge, Gang-min, and the grasping mother-in-law) to the incorrigible (Kim Joo-ri, who else?).

Here in NYC, the 58th episode airs today. With 73 episodes to follow, I look forward to the many plot twists and to learning what eventually happens to these interesting characters.

Thanks to bijan630 and many others who post here. I'm new, having stumbled onto this kdrama about six weeks ago, which airs in NYC on TKC.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the thread!

Welcome to Soompi!

and

Welcome to Kdrama!

Have Fun :D

Guest Bijan630

Hi Mark03049, glad you found the board and you're on the same episodes that I am.

Missed you gerryg even though you're all over the place.

playprtnd, I'm just glad you're enjoying yourself.

Here goes and have fun!

Daughter-in-Law EPISODE 58

Opening scene is with Min-hyuk answering the doorbell thinking it's Mr. Yoon only to finally see Soon-jung

SJ.....Min-hyuk...What are you doing here?

MH.....Well...

SJ.....Don't tell me you're Joon's dad.

MH.....I should've told you sooner. Soon-jung! Soon-jung! Listen to me.

SJ.....Let go!

MH.....I didn't know it at first either! I just thought you were a housekeeper that Joon took a liking to. I never imagined it was you! I was shocked when I saw you with Joon.

SJ.....How could you not say anything knowing it was me?

MH.....I'm really sorry Soon-jung.

SJ.....Was it fun for you?

MH.....You got it wrong.

SJ.....Wrong? Do ou know how I feel right now?

MH.....Let's go inside. I'll explain everything to you.

SJ.....I have nothing to say and I don't want to hear anything!

MH.....Soon-jung! Soon-jung!

SJ.....How....

Soon-jung at her friends clothing store

FR.....How could something like this happen

SJ.....I really want to die right now.

FR.....You're having a really bad year.

SJ.....First Joo-ri and now Min-hyuk...I could barely stand when I found out that he'd known it was me. I don't even remember what I said to him.

FR.....That's why Mr. Yoon kept asking about you.

SJ.....What did you tell him?

FR.....I just told him that you were too good to be a housekeeper.

SJ.....My dad told me a man came by the house and asked about me. I had no idea it was Min-hyuk.

FR.....Why did he look for you when you're married and he's married too?

SJ.....I guess he wanted to find out about me.

FR.....He shouldn't dare have looked for you after what he's done. He should have looked for Joo-ri. I forgot. She married your brother-in-law.

SJ.....Mr. Yoon's your husband's friend?

FR.....Yes

SJ.....If he asks about me again, don't tell him about Joo-ri being my sister-in-law. I don't want Min-hyuk to know more about me.

FR.....Don't worry. What are you going to do now that you can't work for Min-hyuk anymore?

SJ.....I should. Gang-san's family laughs at me for working as a housekeeper. I should find another job soon. Should I work at an insurance company? They'll train me and....

FR.....That wouldn't suit you. You don't know enough people to sell policies and you're not one to talk to strangers. You can't sell insurance.

SJ.....Isn't there anything I can do?

Gang-min and Joo-ri in the bedroom

JR.....What are you doing?

GM.....Did you do this in Paris?

JR.....Why are you looking at that now? I wasn't much good back then. (sees date and signature on drawing)

GM.....Isabel...You went by that name in Paris?

JR.....That's right

GM.....But you said you didn't know the man who called you by that name in front of the boutique last time.

JR.....I don't know that man.

GM.....How...

JR.....What are you thinking? I told you then that I didn't know him. Isabel's a common name in France.

GM.....But...

JR.....I'm really disappointed in you.

GM.....Don't misunderstand. I was just curious. Are you done? Get ready so we can get to the theater in time.

Gang-min in the bathroom

GM to self.....Maybe I'm being too sensitive. But what's this strange feeling I have? Can't be.... (phone rings)

JR.....Gang-min, it's your boss.

GM.....Yes, sir. Yes. His father-in-law? All right. I'll be right there. We can't see a movie today.

JR.....What happened?

GM.....My colleague's father-in-law passed away. My boss wants me to go with him to the funeral.

JR.....I really wanted to see a movie

GM.....Do you want to go with me?

JR.....No, I don't want to go.

GM.....You just went to one the other day, so you wouldn't want to go to another one.

JR.....You should get ready.

Young-hoon (JR's uncle) and Yu-jung (SJ's sis) at a Bungi-jumping site

YJ.....Why did he bring me here when he's afraid of heights? I should just go home.

YH.....Yu-jung.....I love you. Yu-jung, marry me.

YJ.....Are you out of your mind? Why are you proposing to me when today's the last day we see each other?

YH.....Please accept my proposal.

YJ.....You really are an idiot. Listen carefully, okay? I don't have any desire to live with you, okay? So stop talking nonsense.

YH.....Even if I'd die without you?

YJ.....No! You can't just leave! Take this back! Is he really going to kill himself? He won't jump. He's just trying to scare me. Wait!

YH.....Yu-jung! I love you!

YJ.....How could you let him jump when he's afraid of heights? Bring him back up. He could die!

Young-hoon and Yu-jung in an ambulance

YJ.....Open your eyes, please! I was wrong, so please open your eyes!

EMT....You should calm down.

YJ.....He's not going to die, is he? He just fainted, right?

EMT....Calm down. He'll be alright.

YJ.....Why risk your life for me? I'm not worth it!

Soon-jung and her Dad at his house

DD.....Did you fight with Gang-san?

SJ.....No, I just came to have a drink with you, Dad.

DD.....Are you sure?

SJ.....If you don't believe me, I'll call Gang-san.

DD.....Never mind

SJ.....Did Yu-jung go somewhere?

DD.....Oh...yes, a man....No, I'll tell you when they make progress.

SJ.....What? Why don't you finish what you were going to say?

DD.....I'll tell you later.

Gang-min and Joo-ri at her Mom's house getting ready to go to the funeral

MM.....You should go alone. You don't have to take her when she's not feeling well.

GM.....She wants to go.

JR.....I wasn't going to go, but I think I should go with him. I'll get to meet his colleagues.

MM.....Okay then.

JR.....We'll be home after dinner and a movie.

GM.....We'll be back.

MM.....Okay.

MM to self.....It's nice to see them around the house.

MM to maid.....Mrs. Jin.

MJ.....Yes ma'am.

MM.....Get Mr. Cha to help you clean up the exercise room.

MJ.....You want me to move the exercise equipment?

MM.....I'm going to turn it into Gang-min's office. Take all of the equipment to the basement.

Soon-jung and her Dad at his house

DD.....You've had enough.

SJ.....Dad, you should've stopped me.

DD.....What do you mean I should've stopped you?

SJ.....When I said I was going to get a job instead of going to college. We did have a lot of bills to pay because Mom was in the hospital for a long time. But I should've gone to college and graduated even if it would've taken 5 or 6 years. If I had gone to college and gotten a degree, I wouldn't be living like this.

DD.....Yes, I've regretted it too. I should've forced you to go to college. I'm sorry, Soon-jung.

SJ.....No, don't say that, Dad. We couldn't afford to have me go to college. You couldn't have paid all the bills alone. We were able to pay the bills because I got a job and helped you.

DD.....Are you having a hard time lately?

SJ.....Dad, I think I had too much to drink. I wish I could be reborn.

DD.....You must be having a really hard time. You never talked about the past until now. I'm sorry. You would've had a better life if you were born to better parents.

Gang-san, Ae-kyung, Gang-ja, and Mrs. Ma at their house

AK.....When is Mom coming home?

GS.....She'll be home soon. Go play with Grandma. What's that? (on television)

AK.....Mom...

GS.....Don't cry. Mom's going to be home soon.

MM.....What's all the noise about?

GS.....Don't cry. I'll call your mom. (SJ's Dad answers her phone)

DD.....Hello? Gang-san?

GS.....Is Soon-jung there? I thought she went out on an errand...

DD.....Did you fight with Soon-jung?

GS.....No, why do you ask?

DD.....She was just acting a little different today. She had a little too much to drink with me and she fell asleep.

GS.....She drank? Okay Father. Tell her to call me when she wakes up.

MM.....Father? Was that Soon-hung's dad?

GS.....Yes.

MM.....What? She went to her father's instead of going to work? So she lied to us?

GS.....She wouldn't have lied.

MM.....She's always going out and finding ways to go to her dad's. Tell her to quit her job. She goes out using her job as an excuse and always comes home late. I don't even know if she's really working!

Min-hyuk and Joon at their house

MH.....Mrs. Ae-kyung brought all this for you.

Joon...Where is she?

MH.....She came by while you were sleeping.

Joon...She wrote my name, Joon!

MH.....Yes, she even wrote your name with beans. So you have to eat the beans.

Joon...Yes

MH.....What a good boy!

Joon...Mr.s Ae-kyung told me to say yes instead of nodding.

MH.....Go ahead and eat.

MH to self.....You haven't changed, Soon-jung. You're still warm and kind.

Soon-jung, Gang-san, Ae-kyung, Gang-ja, and Mrs. Ma at their house

SJ.....I'm home.

MM.....Hey, why did you go to your dad's when you said you'd be back shortly? Don't forget that you're living with yoiur in-laws! You should come home early and...

SJ.....I'm going to go to my room and rest.

MM.....Look at you! I'm not done talking!

SJ.....Am I a housekeeper here? You don't have to treat me like I'm your daughter, but can't you just be considerate of my feelings once in a while as a woman yourself? Why do you treat me like I'm your housekeeper?

GJ.....What's going on?

MM.....She's yelling at me after going to her dad's instead of going to work! She's really changed for the worse ever since she started working! She scares me so much that I can't even talk to her!

GJ.....What's gotten into you lately? Why do you do and say things you never did before?

SJ.....Yes! I'm glad you said that! I'm not going to live my life the way I did before! So don't treat me like dirt the way you do! I won't stand for it anymore!

GS.....Soon-jung!

GJ.....So what are you going to do if you won't stand for it? You want to fight with my mom and me?

GS.....Be quiet!

GJ.....You idiot! Your wife is behaving badly because you're not firm with her!

SJ.....You two shouldn't be so bad. You can't even say a word to Joo-ri, but you treat me like dirt! You're disgusting!

GJ.....What? How dare you! Disgusting?

GS.....Come!

SJ.....Let go!

MM.....You'd better teach her a lesson! She needs to be taught a lesson! She's really getting worse!

GJ.....She's always talking back to us using Joo-ri as an excuse!

Soon-jung and Gang-san in their bedroom

GS.....Sit down. What's the matte with you? Huh? I fell like you're a ticking time bomb!

SJ.....How can you say that now even after seeing how your mom and sister treat me?

GS.....Okay, I'm sorry. My mom and sister are selfish, self-centered, inconsiderate and shallow people. But can you not fight with them? You've been putting up with them for the past 5 years. You're a good considerate person.

SJ.....No! I'm not good. I finally realized that good meant everyone can just step all over me as if I were a doormat.

GS.....Please, I'm begging you.

SJ.....In the past, I never fought with your mom and sister even though they treated me like dirt. But I won't put up with that anymore. Look at how your sister-in-law Joo-ri lives. Your mom and sister grovel at her feet, but they treat me like I'm their slave! So don't tell me to be nice! Tell your mom, sister and Joo-ri to do their part!

SJ to self.....I have to be strong and firm if I don't want to feel pathetic anymore.

Min-hyuk and Joon at their house, MH looking at cell phone, "FIRST LOVE, FIRST LOVE"

Joon...Daddy,help me.

MH.....You don't know where that goes? Let's see. Where does this go?

Gang-min and Joo-ri arriving at the funeral

(GM's colleague is Woo-jin's brother-in-law and son-in-law as well as Judge Bae to the deceased)

Son-in-law to Colleague.....It breaks my heart that he's dead now. My FIL was a very healthy....

CL.....Im' so sorry.

GM to JR.....Ah, it's over there. Come on. (Joo-ri spots Woo-jin, turns and walks away) (Woo-jin spots Joo-ri as she's walking away)

GM to Judge.....Judge Bae! My condolences. Was he ill?

JB.....No, he had a heart attack.

JB to WJ.....Woo-jin, this is Judge Ma Gang-min.

WJ.....Nice to meet you.

GM.....My condolences.

WJ.....I want to get some fresh air. My head hurts.

JB.....Come back soon.

GM to JB.....What does your brother-in-law do?

JB.....He's a student. He was living in Paris until recently.

GM.....Paris?

JB.....Yes.

GM to self.....Where did she go? Excuse me.

WJ's sister to JB.....Where's Woo-jin? Uncle is looking for him.

Gang-min is wondering around looking for Joo-ri.

GM to self.....Where did she go?

Gang-min spots Joo-ri with Woo-jin in a corridor struggling

JR to WJ.....Let go! Let go! Let go! I said let go!

*****Tomorrow's preview*****

Woo-jin's sister to Joo-ri....You're Isabel? (grabs JR's hair) How dare you ruin my brother's life!

JB to GM.....Judge Ma! JR.....Gang-min

A scene with GM breaking things in their apartment.

Okay, I have to say this. Joon might be slightly mentally challenged, but bells should have went off in Soon-jung's head when Joon grabbed Joo-ri and hugged her. This is a child that hid behind Mr. Yoon when she first met him. Next,as Joon was crying and Mr. Yoon came in, the first thing you're going to want to know is what happened that caused Joon to start crying in the first place, especially if you're a parent.

It's like being a detective, a body is right on top of your foot, and you don't see it. Gee, I know, without putting horse blinders on the characters in a drama, we wouldn't have a story.

Guest mark03049

Yup, episode 58 (and the preview at the end to episode 59) moved this story rapidly forward. I was surprised (and impressed) by Soon-jung's defiant response to the reunion/encounter with Min-hyuk, who must suffer the consequences of the fateful (and cold-hearted) decision he made years ago to dump his "First Love" for the rich Joo-ri. Soon-Jung demonstrated great strength not only with Min-hyuk but also, in this episode, towards her sister-in-law (Ma Gang-ja) and mother-in-law. The Soon-jung character is turning out to be the key to this drama (the writers made the most of the talented actress Moon Jung Hee).

The real development in ep. 58 was in the tenous marriage between Joo-ri and her ambitious and opportunistic husband, Judge Ma Gang-min. He may have (and may still) love Joo-ri, but clearly her wealth and connections was a factor in his marrying her. I remember how the judge's father (Soon-jung's father-in-law) had warned before they got married that his son would become the "joke of the town" if the impression was given that his son was groveling before his rich wife's family.

The end of episode 58 (and the scenes from the preview to ep. 59) tell us of the grave public shame that is about to fall on the head of the young and ambitious Judge. It would have been one thing if Joo-ri's previous relationship with Woo-jin had been uncovered privately and discretely. But this public revelation -- at a funeral no less -- will be disastrous for Gang-min's career, especially as it involves a public cat-fight between Gang-min's wife and his colleague's wife. It will also become clear to all that Woo-jin's suicide attempt probably triggered the fatal heart attack of his father (who's also the father-in-law to Gang-min's colleague) ... and this will be ultimately blamed on Joo-ri ... with more embarrasment and shame falling on Gang-min.

All this is besides the genuine heart-ache that Gang-min will experience from the revelation of his wife's dishonesty (and previous sexual promiscuity). Wait till the poor sap eventually finds out that his young bride is mother to another man's child ... and that this 8-year old child suffers from developmental disabilities (FASD) caused by her drinking during the pregnancy. Lots of heartache in store for Ma Gang-min.

i forgot to thank cococrust for posting links to episode downloads. i can still watch kind of (i don't know if i can in school but i have been at home) and even though i don't speak chinese or korean.

thanks again to Bijan630 for your lovely summary (it translates the episodes that cococrust posts)!! so...i am definitely enjoying myself.

on a side note:

i'm glad soojung is sticking up for herself now and is beginning to get some backbone. what she needs to begin to realize is no matter what she does, it's not like the MIL or the Gangja will kick her out or ask Gangsan to divorce her. she's too valuable to them to lose (sadly even if its just as a maid and not a family member). once she comes into her own and sees her own value, she can begin to set terms and take advantage of her position. <------------sorry. sometimes i'm a little too crafty for my own good. and her character is a little more caring and filial than I am...

I also want to see how the big reveal of Joori and Woojin will affect her marriage with Gangmin. she's held the upper hand in their relationship so far and now with this i wonder if it'll be her turn to grovel? is this the start of her downfall?? it seems a little bit early for it...

Also...I can't quite place Minhyuk and Joon in the story yet. They are obviously important as a source of controversy...but Minhyuk doesn't seem to be the big character that's going to defy everyone and greatly improve the main female lead's life. What do you all think? and also, I started watching this drama later on...does anyone know why Minhyuk left Soojung for Joori? and does anyone know if Minhyuk and Joori actually were in love before??

Guest mark03049

playprtnd,

Thanks for posting. You asked about the significance of Min-hyuk and his son Joon to the story. Like you, I didn't start watching the series from the beginning, but I've seen flashbacks in later episodes and here's what I've pieced together (anyone else please feel free to correct me):

(1) Back in high school Soon-jung and Joo-ri detested each other. They were also rivals for the love of Min-hyuk, who was considered the "Cute Boy" all the girls wanted to be with. In this game of love, the bright but poor Soon-jung beat out the not-so-bright but rich Joo-ri. Soon-jung became Min-hyuk's "First Love."

(2) Alas, it came time for everyone to graduate from high school. The fabulously rich Joo-ri, who still had her eye on Min-hyuk, enticed him with the offer to accompany her to America and attend college together (with her paying his bills). Min-hyuk told Soon-jung the situation, announced that he felt forced to end their relationship, and begged her forgiveness. The heartbroken Soon-jung (who had to forego college in order to help her Dad pay the medical bills of her deceased Mom) told Min-hyuk he was a jerk. They never saw each other again, but a part of Min-hyuk still longs for his "First Love."

(3) Joo-ri and Min-hyuk go off to America together and become lovers. She gets pregnant with Joon, but drinks a lot during the pregnancy. Joon is born premature with FASD (fetal alcohol spectrum disorders) and is developmentally disabled -- thanks to the irresponsible drinking by Joo-ri. As we saw two episodes ago, Joo-ri apparently dumps Min-hyuk right after having the premature child and flees home to Korea under the belief that the child had died. I'm not clear about this but apparently Joo-ri's rich uncle (the nerdy dentist who's been chasing after Soon-jung's kid sister) was also studying in the US at the time and was friends with Min-hyuk. After Joo-ri fled to Korea, the nerdy rich uncle basically helped "clean up the mess" by giving Min-hyuk a ton of money -- and he also shielded Joo-ri from the the fact that the child she bore survived. No one -- not even Joo-ri's mother and certainly not her husband, Judge Ma Gang-min -- have a clue that any of this occurred (with the exception of Min-hyuk and Joori's rich uncle). Moreover, Joo-ri has no idea that she is Joon's mother -- heck, she doesn't even know there is a Joon.

playprtnd, I hope this background helps.

Guest mark03049

Sorry for my previous post, I didn't realize that bijan630 had already posted a far better explanation of the background of the Soon-jung and Joo-ri rivalry over Min-hyuk and the details of the birth of Joon. I couldn't work the link provided by gerryg ("Why MH Dumped SJ"), but it turns out that this is actually post #55 on this board and is dated 1/1/09. I found it by scrolling back through all the earlier posts.

Thanks, bijan630. You're doing a great job.

Archived