[drama 2008] Daughter-in-law 며느리와 며느님

Guest huangsy

Guest valkyrie

spoiler alert -- for Ashlee67, thanks to cococrust for chi subbed epis. :)

Soonjung returns to her husband's home and agrees to stay for another year. The eldest brother-in-law and his new wife get their way and live out despite orders from his dad to live in. Mingyuk, Soonjung's first love and ex, who'd dumped her for Julie, reappears in Seoul. There's a hint that he holds some kind of secret that might do Julie in. And thanks to his sister's plotting, Soonjung's husband gets a job thru Julie's mom's connections, but both brother and sister keep it a secret from Soonjung. When she finds out, she confronts her husband at his workplace... but the argument ends with her walking off. Mingyuk, who's in his chauffeur-driven car, spots Soonjung walking dejectedly along the street, gets out of the car.... and this is where epi 46 ends... :D

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spoiler alert -- for Ashlee67, thanks to cococrust for chi subbed epis. :)

Soonjung returns to her husband's home and agrees to stay for another year. The eldest brother-in-law and his new wife get their way and live out despite orders from his dad to live in. Mingyuk, Soonjung's first love and ex, who'd dumped her for Julie, reappears in Seoul. There's a hint that he holds some kind of secret that might do Julie in. And thanks to his sister's plotting, Soonjung's husband gets a job thru Julie's mom's connections, but both brother and sister keep it a secret from Soonjung. When she finds out, she confronts her husband at his workplace... but the argument ends with her walking off. Mingyuk, who's in his chauffeur-driven car, spots Soonjung walking dejectedly along the street, gets out of the car.... and this is where epi 46 ends... :D

Thank you :D

Guest Bijan630

valkyrie, you seem to be one or two episodes ahead of me. The preview for next Monday was showing Mingyuk spotting Soojung on the street as his car is driving by.

I don't know how Soojung is now having to deal with the physical abuse that she gets from her MIL. Soojung is Cinderella, her mother-in-law is the wicked step-mother and she's just short two evil step-sisters. The way that the mother and sister-in-law use her is disgusting. I think about how much money the sister-in-law saves by not paying for a maid while using Soojung to cook for her and do her laundry. The mother-in-law also told her daughter today that they should take full advantage of Juri's family money and power. Talk about greed!!!

About Juri, how could her uncle hide the fact that Juri has a son? I was wondering at first if he was a child that Mingyuk had adopted, but I remembered a few earlier episodes in which both Juri and her uncle panicked at the mention of babies and Mingyuk. I also noticed that this child is somewhat mentally challenged. He kept asking over and over again if his mommy lives in Seoul and if this was her hometown too. God she's such a selfish person and her mother has always been blind in one eye and can't see out of the other when it comes to Juri.

Oh, and what was they man's name that Juri lived with while she was in Paris. His sister is married to a co-worker of Soojung's brother-in-law. She had spotted him at the wedding, but her husband tried to convince her that her brother was still living in Paris.

Today was the first time that Soojung's husband actually threw something at her in anger because she won't let him forget how miserable she is living with his mother and the fact that he's never taken time to care about her father. I wonder how much the writers will have Mingyuk involved with Soojungs life. They allowed her husband to have a dream about Soojong leaving him for another man and the man was Mingyuk. I really don't want to get my hopes up because with K-dramas, the daughter always stays married to the husband and his family, good, bad, or indifferent.

Since this is going to be a long morning drama, I will not get too excited if any truths come out at this time. It's way too early and I think I will have to bite my tongue and clench my fists as I watch whatever further torment that Soojung is going to have to suffer through until all of the truth about Juri comes out.

I've been watching the raw episodes the past 3 weeks. Tonight is the final episode. I dear not comment as I did not see the begininng or middle. But is it interesting reading you all post and finding out how the characters got into the state they are currently in.

So far the ending is ok. It's nothing to write home about but I think you all will not be dissappointed with it. I'm sure it will have much more meaning with the subtitles.

Guest valkyrie

Bijan630, this drama never fails to keep me at the edge of my seat. All with the use of common everyday situations and normal everyday people. This drama has one skilful writer!

The kind of woman Soonjung is completely baffles me yet she keeps me enthralled. She adheres strictly to the Confucian ethics of filial piety but she also has a saucy tongue! Which often gets her into fixes. But she's made to take so much crap it's a wonder she hasn't lost her mind.

I find the writer incredibly observant and probably very sensitive to the nuances within human relationships. She's able to bring out all kind of human follies and flaws like greed, pride, sloth, arrogance, bigotry, narrowmindedness, and mostly, cowardliness in the face of power and money, and all thru everyday situations.

None of the characters display pure strength of character, integrity or courage, so like in real life.

I see cococrust has kindly uploaded 5 more epis. Thanks much! I can't wait to find out how Soonjung will get her retribution but like you, Bijan630, I have my doubts that this drama will have the kind of fairytale ending that Cinders had cos if it really wants to stay as close to life as possible, there can't be a far-fetched fairytale ending, no? :)

Guest Ashlee67

Wait.....Joori has a child??? Thats crazy if its true...I hope SoonJung can get away from her mil....I like the fil...he really cares for her...As for the husband, Im not really a fan...he reminds me of his mom...selfish and what not, though I think he does love her...But, its not enough, I think.....Hmmm....I really love this drama...and I hope MH is in her life...Perhaps someone could actully make her happy...shes always so sad...

---thanks for the spoilers...keep um coming if possible~ ^_^

Guest Bijan630

valkyrie, please continue to fill in the blanks in case I missed something. The one thing that most K-dramas won't budge on is divorce, and they seem to make marrying for LOVE a four letter word.

Ashlee67, just like you, I at least hope that MH can help Soon Jung in some sort of way with getting her life back on track. The storyline concerning Joori's son is just beginning to unfold. He is mentallly challenged and wears a locket around his neck with MH's pic and Joori's pic. He looks at it every night before he goes to bed saying, "Goodnight Mommy", and MH always gets a sad look on his face. So, we have to wait to find out what happened between the time MH broke up with Soon Joon to be with Joori because of her families money, and what happened when he and Joori lived in the United States. Joori's mother keeps referring to MH breaking off the engagement to Joori, and only the uncle, MH, and Joori know the truth.

I just realized that they're showing the next episode clips out of sequence, or rather ahead of a few episodes. Yesterday, they had shown Soon Jung accepting the babysitting position that was being advertised by MH, but she doesn't know that it's for his son. The scene they show is her looking for his house, (I guess), but her appearance has changed for the better and she looked happier.

gerryg, you're always ahead of me on every drama. The only thing that I look forward to in an ending is that the evil villain or villainess reaps what they've sewn before that final episode. A simple message to viewers letting them know that they'll be punished when they do something wrong.......not rewarded.

gerryg, you're always ahead of me on every drama. The only thing that I look forward to in an ending is that the evil villain or villainess reaps what they've sewn before that final episode. A simple message to viewers letting them know that they'll be punished when they do something wrong.......not rewarded.

Ha ha! At least you get subtitles. I actually wait until you all post to see what actually happened months ago. But for this one, I couldn't take another abuse story without knowing what was really happening so I didn't watch it. I watched on the last 3 maybe 4 weeks of episodes. :rolleyes:

So the little boy does have a learning problem and he does not know his mother in real life. :o What a shame.

Guest Bijan630

Alright, I really wish that this was English subbed no matter where it's being aired. I'm really upset and can't remember the name of the last k-drama I watched where a husband, who was having an affair, not only slapped his wife, but punched and kicked her and her family didn't have clue as to what was going on in her marriage until she spent a night at the family home and her sister caught her undressing and sore the bruises on her body.....wait...was is My Precious Family??? The older dramas had more domestic violence and I was glad that they stopped putting those scenes in.

Yesterday, I watched Soon Jung's husband slap her! (I loved him in Yi San as the King's special guard, but this shocked me even though I saw it coming) Why??? Because she talked back to his mother........because he's tired of hearing how she has endured her life in his household only because of him.........that she shouldn't complain about how she's treated by his family because other Korean women go through the same thing..........that she's nothing more than a carefree housewife and shouldn't complain about doing what she's supposed to do for his family.........AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! Again, his light bulb didn't come on as to why his wife was so frustrated and had an attitude until after slapping SJ she yelled out what had been happening to her.

Earlier that morning or the day before her mother-in-law slapped her in the head again. Her sister-in-law told her that she's not in the same league as Juri and shouldn't complain about being treated like a maid. Also, I thought grandparents loved and adored their grandchildren, but Soon Jung's mother in law told her husband that her granddaughter was a brat just because she couldn't get her to eat and had to babysit her.

Soon Jung, after meeting Juri at the bar, getting drunk and fighting, found out that her mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law all told Juri that part of the agreement for her marriage was that Soon Jung would keep on doing the role of the eldest daughter-in-law since she's already been doing it for the past 5 years. After they are picked up from the police station for wrecking the room at the bar, Soon Jung's brother in law tells her that she should be nicer to Juri because after all, Juri is too good for their family.

I felt just a little bit sorry for the father-in-law who knows what a conniving wife he has, if finding out how little respect his children really have for him, and also now realizing that he doesn't have the power to protect Soon Jung. He had come out of his room later that night and heard SJ crying in her bedroom and just stood there.

The last scene was SJ's husband, drunk in the middle of the floor, asking his brother did he tell SJ that she should be nicer to Juri since she was too good for his family, his brother looking at Juri first, trying to find his balls to keep his promise to defend Juri at all costs against his own family, then repeating what he said and ending up with a bloody nose. The sister-in-law and her husband enter at this point because Juri demanded that they come to the house.

If the writer's make the ending of this drama one of those all is forgiven, I love you, kiss...kiss, hug....hug, endings I will just scream. Korean dramas frown on divorce, and I want to know what they're going to do with Soon Jung to allow her to grow before the end of this drama. Will they at least allow her to start her own career and live her life on her own?

What more can happen between now and Friday? Gee...now this was a stupid question, wasn't it!

Soon Jung, after meeting Juri at the bar, getting drunk and fighting, found out that her mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law all told Juri that part of the agreement for her marriage was that Soon Jung would keep on doing the role of the eldest daughter-in-law since she's already been doing it for the past 5 years. After they are picked up from the police station for wrecking the room at the bar, Soon Jung's brother in law tells her that she should be nicer to Juri because after all, Juri is too good for their family.

Ouch! That hurts just reading about it.

I guess SJ is a non-entity to them. In their eyes when they see her, they must smell dung!

Poor Soon Jung! :tears:

BTW - What episode is this?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!! :D

Guest Bijan630

Happy New Year!

I have no idea what episode this is because whether I watch the 11:50 a.m. or 6:30 p.m. show, the drama jumps from the commercial straight into the scene. I have to sit through 6 to 8 commercials before the program airs, the opening theme, then the same commercials shown all over again.

Soon Jung this morning had to sit through breakfast with her father-in-law listening to her MIL talk about Gang San not coming home last night because he should have married a better woman. She still harped on Soon Jung talking back to her and talked about her to her face so badly that her husband yelled at her to shut up. Her rebuttal, instead of yelling at her, he should be yelling at Soon Jung who was raised properly.

While this was going on, Gang Ja is kicking Gang San with her foot trying to wake him up since he fell asleep drunk at their house. Now, we go through the nonsense of not rememberiing a word we said and hitting our dear, precious, family treasure Gang Min in the nose.

Gang Ja, her husband, and Gang San now show up at the house just after the yelling match with the MIL, when Gang Ja decides to tell off Soon Jung and accussing her of telling her husband lies about all of them just to get her husband angry. Gang San, in his drunken stupor the night before, not only told off his brother, but let his sister know that she shouldn't abuse Soon Jung when Soon Jung has served her all of the years of their marriage.

Gang San let her know about coming to the house everyday to eat her meals just so she won't have to cook for her own husband. He told that he knows how she sits in her office and calls his wife everyday to run errands for her. He tells her that since they now have a rich SIL, that she's been abusing Soon Jung even more. He finally told his sister that the reason why she couldn't get pregnant was because she was always being mean to his wife and this was her punishment. She flips out behind that statement telling him that it was a low blow. By the way, she's also jealous of her niece because her husbands loves her so much since they haven't been able to have a child of their own.

Gang San tells his brother that he needs to stop kissing up to his rich MIL and come to the house to show their respects to thier mother and father. (Gang San knows that each weekend, his brother and Joori make excuses not to come to the house while they've been going to play golf and dinner party's) Gang San also warns Joori that regardless of the fact that she married his brother, they are still part of her family and that she'd better start performing her duties as the eldest sister-in-law.

While they're trying to get Gang San out of the house, Gang Ja tries to console Joori about the entire incident and Joori warns Gang Ja about her family not having any manners, that she will not tolerate this happening again and if it does, she will call the police and have Gang San thrown in jail. Gang Ja assures her that she will take care of everything. Gang Ja's husband witnesses this entire conversation, but says nothing. (another wimp) Once they're out the door, Joori falls into the chair and tells herself why does she have to be related to such ignorant, poor in-laws and that she's embarrassed to be related to them. Going back a few episodes, she had asked her mother could she move Gang Min's family out of the country so that she wouldn't have to be bothered with them. Also had forgetten to mention that Joori had told her FIL that his constant critcism of her was not only annoying but....I forgot the exact word she used......but she showed him that she had no respect for him what so ever.

To fill in a few blanks concerning Joori's marriage to Gang Min, after they came back from their honeymoon, the first night they spent in their apartment, as Gang Min approached Joori to become intimate, she told him that she will only allow him to kiss her and hug her for 1 year because she's not ready to get pregnant yet. GM's response....he thought once he married her, that he could have sex with her when ever he wanted to....(talk about a wimp)....she then let him kiss her. a short peck, and then rolled over on her side. Joori is also trying to convince Gang Min to move in with her mother and uncle.....(wait until the family finds out about this)

Soon Jung did manage to make it to her work at Min Hyuk's house and takes his Joon to the park. Joon asks her about her name, (he was raised in America even though he can speak and understand both Korean and English), and she explains that even though he can call her Ajumma, she is also called by her daughters name with mother attached to it. When Joon questions the word mother, she replies Omma, mother, mommy, to which he tells her about his mother's picture in the locket he wears around his neck. Soon Jung had been warned not to touch his locket and had forgotten.....he went into one of his fits and she had to calm him down and promised him she wouldn't do it again. (Of course it's too early in the drama for her to discover Joori's picture in the locket)

Min Hyuk is being driven home by his assistant and isn't getting any answer on the phone. As they go down the street, the driver spots Joon and Soon Jung dancing and singing as they walk. As he gets ready to pull over, Min Hyunk finally knows that SJ is his house keeper and stares in disbelief. He tell's his assisstant to keep driving and hides his face.

Min Hyuk had spotted Soon Jung a few days before as she was walking down the street going towards the bus stop. As he was getting ready to approach her, he saw that she had tears rolling down her cheeks (this was after she found out and argued with Gang San getting his job through Joori as a payoff to keep Soon Jung and him from moving out of the house). Min Hyuk had asked his assistant to find out information about SJ because he wanted to know what caused her to cry. Once he did get the address, it was for her father's house. and all the father had told him was that she had gotten married, but didn't say anything further.

So, when SJ's dad tells her about the man that was looking for her, she realizes but isn't sure that it's MH. She tells her father that if he comes around or contacts him again, to not tell him anything about her. SJ is embarrassed to face him after never accomplishing any of her dreams feeling worthless.

MH's reason for hiding from SJ in the car is because he still carries the guilt of how he had dumped her to be with Joori.

Another blank to fill in......before things had gotten heated up in Soon Jung's household because of Joori, there had been one night as Gang San slept that he had a dream in which a man came into his bedroom and told him that Soon Jung had suffered enough being married to him and that he was taking her away to give her a better life. The man simply took Soon Jung by the hand, led her out the doorway of their bedroom and shut it behind him leaving Gang San crying out for SJ. Behind this dream GS jumped out of his sleep in a cold sweat, grabbed SJ and held her begging her to never leave him. GS said to himself, who was this handsome man that took his wife from him. It was MH in the dream and this happened before they had shown MH arriving back from America to Korea.

This is what made me wonder what the writers are going to do with Soon Jung's marriage if they're getting her involved in MH's life through Joon.

Well, tomorrow's preview was the FIL meeting Joori's mother for lunch and asking her does Joori has some type of personal flaws/her mother in the car talking to herself and aggravated that the FIL was questioning if there was something wrong with Joori/ MH walking through some building area and Joori's face going into shock, throwing herself against a wall to keep MH from seeing her.

Wow! What a New Year Day treat! Thank You Bijan630!

Did MH dump SJ? In the beginning I thought he was being blackmail/bullied somehow into marrying JR. Did he actually marry her or did they just live together abroad?

And honestly, why would GM accept only smuching and holding his wife's hand as marriage condition? Is he sick or just greedy. Also, why would she lay down such conditions? Does she think that will bring back her virginity somehow? I guess, her husband would think so huh!?

Guest Bijan630

Happy New Year again everyone,

SJ and her father had lived in the spare apartment or room at Joori's house. Her younger sister had been left to live with their grandmother because they couldn't afford to take care of her which left her growing up believing that her father had abandoned her and chose SJ over her. SJ's mother had passed away after being gravely ill, and her father had been left with the debt of the medical bills to pay off which left them broke.

While MH, SJ, and Joori had all been going to High School together, Joori had been paying girls to harrass SJ every chance they got. Each time she would be caught in a situation, just about ready to be attacked, MH showed up and made the girls back off. This infuriated Joori, but didn't stop her. SJ was also much smarter than Joori in school and when there was an essay contest, SJ had won first place while Joori came in second. Joori was angry at always losing out to SJ who she considered beneath her and each time she was beaten in one way or another by SJ, it would result in her throwing screaming fits in her bedroom.

MH was always at SJ's side and Joori used to throw herself at him just to try to get his attention......never worked. Joori was like a cat watching it's prey whenever she saw these two together. Her mother had thrown her a birthday party and the maid had a family emergency in which she called SJ to come to the main house and asked her to finish preparing the meal. Off course, by the time everything is done, Joori and her "guest"s have arrived, leaving SJ scrambling to take off her apron. Seeing her there, Joori took advantage of the situation to let all of the classmates know that not only did SJ live in the spare apartment in their house, that she was also their part time cook. MH grew angry at what Joori for trying to humiliate SJ and turned the tables on her to make her look like the bad person.....of course, she wound up having a screaming session in her room after everyone had left the party.

Joori's mother had paid SJ for helping out after the cook left and Joori came along, saw her counting the money, and proceeded to try and take it back from her. A fight broke out, Joori's father came along as well as SJ's father (he was the family chaufer), and Joori took this opportunity to pretend that SJ attacked her for no reason. SJ was slapped by Joori's father. After that incident, even though they had no money, SJ's father decided to move out because he had no idea that his daughter had been suffering so much living with that household.

SJ and MH had still been dating, but Joori was determined to have him so, she told her mother that she needed a tutor, had her mother call his parents to request his assistance. MH had only taken the tutoring job with Joori to try and help save up money for SJ to go to college. When she made another attempt to seduce MH, he wouldn't respond, and when she found SH's picture in his wallet, it set her off again. She then told her parents that she was interested in getting engaged to MH, and because of pressure from his parents he had to date Joori.

When SJ finds out about this, Joori lets her know that MH's parents would never accept her because of her poor background and of course Joori let her know that she gets whatever she wants, which was MH. SJ finally confronts MH about what Joori had said to her and that's when MH broke down and told her that his parents decided to have him get engaged to Joori because her family would help pay for his education and they would attend college in America. MH, really felt guilty saying this, but SJ wound up slapping him in his face for lying to her. This was how they're relationship ended......Joori had bought MH for the sole purpose of taking him away from SJ.

The story line has yet to explain what happened while MH and Joori were in America. Joori's uncle is the only one who knows exactly what happened between these two since he was already living in America at that time. The both of them have kept this secret from her mother, and the mother dislikes MH because she believes that MH embarrassed Joori by breaking off their engagement.

So, this is the deep seeded hatred between these two since their childhood. Soon Jung is the only one who knows Joori's true character, and Joori is out to destroy her again because of it. Not knowing any of this, the entire family constantly tells SJ that's she's just jealous of Joori and should know her place since she's not in her league. In fact, after Joori had gotten married to Gang Min, SJ's MIL told her to her face the SJ was nothing but a measly $3,000.00 dollar daughter-in-law, while she has hit the jackpot with Joori who had given her $100,000.00 (which by the way when the FIL found out about it, he demanded that his wife return the money, you see, his wife told him that Joori had only given her $10,000.00).

As far as Gang Min going along with Joori as far as their sex life is concerned, he's a virgin, and Joori is the first woman he's ever been involved with in his entire life. This is why I wonder when the entire family will be thrown into chaos when they learn that their rich pig has a child, was living with a man in Paris, and has always slept around. She seems to choose men who have not sexual experience because the man she had been living with in Paris had also told Joori that when they were in bed together, it was his first time having sex. Oh, while she was living with him, she had also been seeing other men. Her dear mother really doesn't know about any of this.

So is Gang Min sick?....I'll just be kind for now and say he's stupid. Is Gang Min greedy?......Most definitely since Joori has exposed him to a whole new world.....WEALTH......and he is now willing to cut off his family ties to keep her. After all, when his father was refusing to allow the marriage, Gang Min, in a drunken stupor told his father that he had never done anything for him in his life, so why is he stopping him from marrying Joori. The entire family went without in order for GM to be able to study, graduate, and become a judge. When he decided to go against his father's wishes concerning his marriage, he told himself that he was going to marry Joori no matter what because after all, he's always gotten what he wanted his entire life, so why stop now!

Let's see, about Soon Jung's marriage to Gang San, the agreement was that they would live with his family until Gang Min got married, and then SJ could move out with her husband to live with her father. Five years had passed and during those years, Gang San never held onto a job and whenever they had saved up money to be able to move out on their own, he ended up loaning his friend their entire savings of $10,000.00 without her knowledge. Of course, the friend disappeared and SJ was frustrated, angry, and disappointed again.

During and after Gang Min's wedding, the entire family, excluding the father, plotted against SJ in order to force her to keep living like a maid in the household. At first her MIL told her she would never let her move out, then promised her that she just wanted her to live one more year in order to get ADJUSTED to the IDEA of Gang San, her baby, leaving her. Out of frustration, SJ decided to stay because she not only felt sorry for her FIL, but her own father, believing that she's in a loving family, refused to have her move in with him thinking that SJ was at fault and causing problems with her husbands family. SJ's father, again, had no idea of how much SJ has been suffering since she married Gang San. He even remembered walking her down the aisle on her wedding day, and how she stopped 3 times as she neared the alter, and how she wouldn't let go of his hand when Gang San came to bring her the rest of the way.

I hope this gives you a better understanding as to why Soon Jung has finally reached the edge of the cliff and has told herself that she will no longer accept this life and she will start living for herself. This is just about everything I have remembered since the drama began. I don't touch on the storyline with SJ's sister and Joori's uncle too much because it just doesn't hold my attention, but, Joori offered SJ's sis a job, not knowing who she really is or that she's dating her uncle.

Today's episode is 54...they finally started it from the very beginning.

thanks, Bijan630!! i just started watching and want to keep watching but i don't know if i'll be able to b/c i'm going back to school soon (and they don't air this drama there). so your updates/explanations/spoilers help a lot.

happy new year!!

Guest Bijan630

You're welcome playprtnd, I'll see what I can do to keep helping out. This is a really good morning drama and I want to see Joori fall from her pedestal!!!

Guest Bijan630

Hi everyone,

when I watched this in the morning, the ending was missing, when I watched the re-run in the afternoon, the scenes had be switched, but this should be everything that happened.

In yesterday's episode, MH had asked Mr. Yoon, his assistant to give SJ advanced pay and a new cell phone for emergency purposes. She was didn't want to accept it, but Mr. Yoon told her that it was a gift from her employer. When SJ left the house, MH was watching her from a distance, upset at himself for not even recognizing her voice on the phone. He's wondering why she's a housekeeper when she had so much talent.

While SJ's FIL was at his office, a client came in and started yelling at him demanding the return of her down payment on an apartment. While she had grabbed his collar and is threatening him, Joori's mother comes in. They go to have tea and he appologized to her for having witnessed what happened. Joori's mother then presents the FIL with the papers for a new apartment in a complex they built in another area far away from where they live. She also tells him that since he'll be moving, he will have to sell his office and she will look for a new office space in the same complex area.

FIL asks her if Joori told her to do this, and she deny's it. He then asks if Joori has any crucial flaws and J's mom wanted to know what he meant by that. He told her that there must be something wrong with Joori for her to constantly go out of her way to try and buy things for them. She denied any of what he had to say and told him it was just her way of trying to thank him for letting Joori and Gang Min spend this first night back from their honeymoon at her house. FIL asks her what does she mean and she tells him that he has given his permission for them to stay with her since Joori was uncomfortable having to not only sleep at their house, but to have to use an out door bathroom. FIL remains calm and let's her know that he won't be accepting the apartment.

FIL shows up at GM's office and tells him to come with him for lunch. They go to a neighborhood pork belly shop and GM makes a comment to his father about going to a Sushi restaurant. FIL then lets GM know how he's changed since he married Joori. He then questions him as to whether or not he had given GM and Joori permission to stay at her mother's house. GM tries to say that he can't remember. His father then explodes telling him that he's supposed to be so educated, but can't remember about getting his permission. He told GM about Joori having her mother give them and apartment and he knows that Joori can't stand his family and looks down on them. Father tells GM that from now on, both GM and Joori have to spend weekends at his house but they will be allowed to sleep at there apartment. GM, then lies and tells his father that they really can't do that because both he and Joori are busy working on the weekends...(hmmm....golfing lessons, meeting politicians, attending dinners and party's. Yup....hard worK) Phones start ringing and FIL has called everyone to tell them to come to the house that afternoon.

When SJ comes home from work, she gets upset because her MIL left Ae Kyung on the floor of the living room after crying herself to sleep. She also sees all of the food her MIL had prepared for herself and left all of the dirty dishes on the living room table along with things thrown all over the living room floor. When she confronts her MIL, of course she's told either she comes home from work before her daughter gets out of daycare, leaves her daughter in daycare all day and picks her up at whatever time she gets off from work, or quits her job.

SJ then tells her how could she treat her own granddaughter this way when most grandmother's adore them. Her MIL tells her that she is not her biological daughter and it would be SJ's mother's job to babysit for Ae Kyung if she wasn't dead. So, why should she have to babysit. (Visions of profanity danced through my head on this one)

At the family meeting, FIL demands that all of his children with the last name of Ma raise their hands. He then demands, one by one, that they roll up the legs of their pants and proceeds to hit them on their calves with a switch. Gang Ja complains and demands that he only hit her on her hands. He lets them know that he's tired of all the lies and fighting. He tells Gang Ja that she has no right to cover up and encourage all of the lies. He then tells SJ and Joori that they are still married to his family and they have to find a way to get along or else they will be beaten also. When he asks do they understand, SJ says yes, but Joori is biting her tongue until he demands a response from her in which she replies yes.

After leaving the bedroom, Joori talks about their father being violent and inhumane and that he shouldn't be hitting his adult children. This then causes an argument between Gang Sa and Gang Min, with Gang Min again demanding that his wife be respected. Gang Ja then tells them all to leave before they make their father angrier.

At Min Hyuk's house, MH is surprised at the change in Joon's appetite since he's eating all of his vegetables. Joon lets his father know that Ae Kyun's mom will take him to the park and play if he's good and finishes all of his food. Mr. Yoon then tells MH how well Joon has accepted SJ and listens to her. MH then asks Mr. Yoon how who had introduced him to SJ, and then explains to Mr. Yoon that he had hurt SJ very badly in the past. He wants Mr. Yoon to find out why she's working as a housekeeper and how her personal life is. But he also asks Mr. Yoon to make sure that SJ doesn't find out about him.

Gang Sa is questioning SJ as to why she isn't going to sleep in GM's old room that night and she tells him that even though she will never forgive or forget him slapping her, she will sleep in the room since he did try to defend her although he was drunk when he did it. He then tries to tell her that he'll never forget it either and if he ever does it again, he'll cut off his own hands. (Yeah right buddy!)

This is out of place but SJ has brought Joon to her house, then the scene with Joori spotting MH and Mr. Yoon in a hotel lobby.

The preview showed Joori in the hospital giving birth to Joon only to find out that the child is in an incubator suffering from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disease and Joori telling MH if the child is going to be mentally handicapped, to have it removed from the incubator.

Guest Bijan630

The last 5 minutes was cut off on this morning's episode and this time I caught it on the evening airing.

Daughter In Law EPISODE 55

Opening scene

Joo-ri has just spotted Min Hyuk and Mr. Yoon in the hotel lobby and is in a panic

Joo-ri to self: Min-Hyuk? Why is he back in Korea?

Joo-ri is now shaking and having a flashback to delivery room in the hospital

MH: Joo-ri....Joo-ri

Dr: Push harder!....push harder!

MH: Hang in there

****Baby is in the incubator****

Joo-ri to MH: Why is our baby in there?

MH: They think he has FASD.

JR: What's that? Explain it so I can understand.

MH: It's fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.

JR: What? Disorder? Our baby's going to have disabilities?

MH: They have to run more tests to see if he shows signs of disabilities. They don't know if he'll survive because he's premature.

JR: He could die?

MH: Yes, even if he survives, he could have developmental disabilities. Joo-ri!

JR: This can't be happening. If he only has a slight chance of surviving, and even if he survives he'll have disabilities......Let's ask them to take the baby out of the incubator.

MH: What are you saying?

JR: I don't think I can raise him! We're only 21! How can we raise a child with disabilities? I'm scared and I don't think I can do it. You know very well that I won't be able to raise him.

MH: You're not thinking straight because you're too upset right now. Besides, no one has the right to end anyone's life! Only God can do that!

JR: What are we going to do? I'm so scared!

MH: Get a hold of yourself! The only thing we should think about right now is saving our baby.

****Joo-ri screams and passes out****

MH: Joo-ri!....Joo-ri!....Joo-ri!

Joon and Ae-Kyung at the Ma's home

Joon to AK: Airplane. (in English)

AK: Mom, what's he saying?

SJ: He's saying it's an airplane

AK: He sure knows a lot of English words.

SJ: It's because he used to live in America.

AK to Joon: Take me to America.

Joon: Ok, I'll take you if you listen to me.

AK: Okay, I'll always listen to you.

FIL and Gang-Min in a pork belly restaurant

FL: Don't give me any excuses. Starting this week, come to the house on the weekend. I won't tell you and Joo-ri to sleep at the house since she finds my house uncomfortable. But she has to eat with our family and bond. Understand!

GM: Dad, I'm sorry, but I don't think we can go every weekend.

FL: What?

GM: I sometimes work on weekends, and Joori works on weekends a lot of the times. We hardly have time for ourselves...

FL: So, you can't make time?

GM: I'll try, but not every weekend. Please understand.

FL: Trees can't exist without roots. No matter how smart you are, you're still my son. I may be poor and uneducated, but I'm still your father. Go back to work. I'm so sorry that I took time from your busy schedule!

Joo-ri trembling in a chair

Uncle: Joori, are you okay?

JR: Uncle.....I feell like I'm going to faint.

Uncle: What? What happened?

JR: I saw Min-Hyuk.

Uncle: What? Where?

JR: In the lobby.

Uncle: Did he see you too?

JR: No, I hid from him.

Uncle: Let's go home.....phone rings.....Who's this?

JR to GJ: Hi, Gang-ja. I'm sorry.

GJ: Why aren't you here yet?

JR: I don't feel well. I don't think I can make it tonight.

GJ: Are you feeling very sick?

JR: I'm feeling a little dizzy. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?

Uncle: Get up

Joo-ri's bedroom at her mother's house

Uncle: Get some sleep

JR: I should've gone home. Mom's going to ask what happened.

Uncle: Just tell her you're tired and that you wanted to eat with her.

JR: He died then, right?

Uncle: What?

JR: The baby.....

Uncle: Oh.....yes Are you still in pain over what happened?

JR: I thought I forgot everything. But when I saw Min-Hyuk, I remembered it and I couldn't breathe!

Uncle: Put it behind you. I wish it never happened, but it did and it's over. Don't blame yourself for what happened.

JR: Why didn't Min-hyuk contact you when he's back in Korea?

Uncle: Maybe he feels uncomfortable about seeing me.

Min-Hyuk in the car with Mr. Yoon

MH: Why does she work as a housekeeper when she has a husband?

MY: I guess they're financially hurting. They live with his parents.

MH: She was so talented....

MY: What?

MH: Nothing

MY: My friend's wife said she's very smart and a great cook. She said her friend's too good to be working as a housekeeper.

Joon, Ae-Kyung, and MIL in the living room and Ae-Kyung is getting ready to touch Joon's locket.

AK: It's pretty. Can I try it on?

Joon: No!

AK: Joon

MIL: Why did you hit her? You're a boy. Only girls wear lockets.

AK: Mommy

SJ: What? What happened?

MIL: He's a brat! He pushed me!

Joon: Don't touch. Don't touch. Don't touch.

SJ: No one's going to touch it. I'm sorry. Mother, did you touch his locket?

MIL: He hit Ae-Kyung because she wanted to try it on. So I thought....

SJ: You should never touch it. He guards it with his life. He might have a seizure if he gets too upset.

MIL: What did you say? Seizure? How could you bring a boy like that home? I was happy Ae-kyung got a friend to play with. Send him home!

SJ: Mother, you shouldn't say that. It's not his vault that he has disabilities. Even someone who was born normal could end up with disabilities. We have to protect people with disabilities.

MIL: How can you say that? You're not a volunteer worker!

Gang San: I'm home.

SJ: There's just no talking to you, Mother.

MIL: What? What did you just say? Hey! How dare you talk back to me! How dare you!

GS: What is it now Mom?

MIL: Please tell her to quit her job. She's changing for the worse.

GS: What?

Soon-Jung and Joon in her bedroom

SJ: Joon, she didn't know that she shouldn't touch your locket. So forgive her, okay?

Joon: Yes

SJ: Good boy.

GS: What are you doing?

SJ: What are you talking about?

GS: Why did you bring someone else's child home and create a ruckus? Mom said he hit Ae-kyung.....

SJ: It's my business so stay out of it.

GS: This is a family matter!

SJ answering her phone: Hello? Mr. Yoon. We'll be right out.

GS: Hey, where did you get that phone?

SJ: My employer bought it for me for emergencies.

GS: Hey! Why did you accept it?

SJ: I'll return it when I no longer work for him.

GS: How strange! Why would he buy his housekeeper a cell phone?

SJ: Joon, Mr. Yoon is here. Let's go.

GS: I'll go with you.

SJ: Why?

GS: I have to see that man Mr. Yoon. He dropped you off last time and even bought you a phone. I smell something fishy. You can't fool me. Let's go.

Soon-Jung, Joon, Ae-kyung and Gang-san walking towards the car.

SJ: Do you have to embarrass me like this?

GS: There are only men in that house. They should know that you have a husband. You never know what they might try to...

SJ: Be quiet, the kids can hear you.

MY: Joon! Did you have fun?

Joon: Yes.

SJ: Hello

GS: Nice to meet you. I'm Ma Gang-san, her husband.

MY: I'm Yoon Gi-hyun.

SJ: He came out because it's dark.

MY: Yes. We're grateful that Mrs. Ma cares for Joon with such love.

GS: Ahh....yes.

Min-hyuk sitting in the car watching

MH to self: They must be your husband and daughter. Are you happy?

Joo-ri and her mother in her bedroom

JR: What are you saying?

Mom: I saw your father-in-law today.

JR: Why?

Mom: I went to give him the apartment in Namyang-joo, and came home upset. He asked me if you had any crucial flaws. I almost had a heart attack when he said that. I said that you didn't, but I was nervous.

JR: I hope you didn't let him think anything.

Mom: No, he doesn't have a clue. I felt like a criminal because of your past love life.

JR: Leave me alone. I have enough problems right now.

Mom; Okay, get some sleep.

Mom and Uncle in the living room

Mom: There are more problems now that she's married. We wouldn't be so stressed if she'd married someone with a similar financial background.

Unc: Joo-ri's just stressed out about her work, not her in-laws. Gang-Min's here, so don't say anything.

Mom: I'd better buy some herbal tonic for her. It hurts me to see her not feeling well.

GM: I'm home!

Unc: Hi.

GM: Hello, uncle

Unc: Sit down

Mom: Sit down.

GM: How's Joo-ri? Is she feeling very sick?

Mom: She just fell asleep. Please stay here for a while.

GM: What?

Mom: I can't bear to have my child ill. She must have been through a lot of stress since getting married for her to get sick.

Unc: Her in-laws are not the reason she's sick.

Mom: You stay out of this.

M to GM: To be honest, I'm very disappointed in you. You promised me tat she wouldn't have much contact with your family. But your father calls her to his house often and scolds her. It's no wonder she got sick.

GM: I'm sorry.

Mom: I want her to take some herbal tonic and eat well here.

GM: I should discuss that with Joo-ri.

Mom: There's no need to discuss it with her. I'm ordering you to do that.

Unc: You can't tell him what to do. He'll be uncomfortable here.

Mom: Why would he be uncomfortable here? His office is closer from here and the housekeeper will make him breakfast every morning. Can't you do it when it's only for a short while?

GM: I'll do as you say, Mother.

Mom: Thank you for going along with me.

Gang-Min upstairs in Joori's bedroom

GM to self: Why are there so many problems and complications? I thought I'd be happy when I got married.

At Soon-Jung's father's house

SJ'sis: Why hasn't the leech called? Did he really give up before the month is over?

Dad: Can I come in? Put this on my back.

Sis: Are you hurt?

Dad: It's been hurting since last night, and it's gotten worse.

Sis: You should see a doctor. Putting this on is only a temporary relief.

Dad: It's not treatment. I'll feel better after I sleep. You should go to school.

Joo-ri and Gang-ja at her boutique

JR: How long have you been waiting?

GJ: I haven't been waiting long. Ms. Hwang told me you'd be here at 11, so I came in time to see you.

JR: I'm sorry about yesterday.

GJ: Are you okay now?

JR: Yes, I should buy you lunch.

GJ: No, I have to go back to work. I came to give you this.

JR: What's this.

GJ: It's a massage certificate.

JR: This place is very expensive.

GJ: I bought it especially for you. I feel bad for everything you've gone through since you married Gang-Min. I feel really bad because I'm the one who introduced Gang-min to you.

JR: You should feel bad.

GJ: What?

JR: I would reall regret getting married if not for you and Gang-min.

GJ: I'm sorry. Get a massage and release all the stress you have.

JR: Thank you.

GJ to self: I bought if for her so I could get some work at her mother's company, but Gang-san ruined my plan.

JR: Did Father tell you about the apartment?

GJ: Apartment?

MIL on the phone with Gang-ja

MIL: What? A 4-bedroom apartment? What a generous gift! How much is something like that worth? Oh my goodness! Why didn't that grumpy old man not discuss it with me before not accepting it?

At Joo-ri's boutique

Receptionist: Someone's here to see you.

JR: Who?

MIL: It's me.

Customer: Who's that loud country bumpkin?

JR: Well

MIL: So this is your boutique. It's so huge!

JR to cust: You can go change now.

JR to recp: Ms. Hwang, show her to the fitting room.

MIL: Your mom offered it to your father-in-law. So I want your mom to give it to me. Why give it to someone who doesn't want it?

JR: But Father already refused to accept it.

MIL: You don't want to give it to me?

JR: It's not that. I don't want him to get upset with me like he did with the fur coat.

MIL: Don't worry. I'll convince him somehow. So give me the apartment.

JR: I'll talk to my mom.

Joo-ri escorts her MIL outside the boutique

MIL: See you soon, my lovely daughter-in-law.

JR: Bye Mother

MIL: I'll take a taxi with the money you gave me.

JR: Okay

MIL: By the way, do you know that Soon-jung's working as a housekeeper?

JR: No, why is she doing that?

MIL: She wants to make money. I have to watch Ae-kyung when Soon-jung's working, so it's been hard for me.

JR: She can't make much working as a housekeeper.

MIL: My point exactly! Speaking of which, can you give her that money?

JR: What?

MIL: I may be shameless for saying this, but think of it as contributing to our household expenses. Gang-min always contributed each month before he got married.

JR to self: She sees dollar signs when she sees me.

Soon-Jung and Joon at his house, she's making kimchee and put a dab of the pepper paste on his nose

Joon: Oh my God!

SJ: Is it spicy? I'm sorry. What to do! Joon. Drink some water. I'm sorry. Are you okay?

Joon: I'm okay.

SJ: What....Were you playing with me? I'm going to get you! Come here!

Joon: I wish you were my mom.

SJ: Your mom's in heaven, so should I be your mom on earth?

Joon: Yes

SJ: It wasn't spicy?

At Joo-ri's boutique, her ex-lover from Paris bursts into her office

Rec: You can't go in there!

Ex to Joo-ri: Weren't you afraid after breaking my heart and ruining my life?

Tomorrow's preview: Gang-min has a catalog or some magazine with the name Isabel on it,(forgot to mention that this is the name she used while living in Paris, also, Gang-min had witnessed Joo-ri slap him in the face after denying to him that she had no idea who he was while she was dating GM). Gang-min says to himself that he heard that name before and when he remembers the incident and who it is, he drops the book on the floor.

Archived