[drama 2002] Dae Mang 대망

Guest wils

On 2/8/2010 at 9:12 AM, prissymom said:

2. the scene where the Prince Regent was visited by Lee Yo Won's father, the mayor, and JHJ acted as if he's crazy - throwing away books, and swatting at some imaginary things in the air. Why was he acting crazy? Why did the mayor visit him?

Aloha, prissymom!

So glad to find another habitue of the Su Baek-Hyang forum over here at Dae Mang. I still miss that wonderful production, and occasionally go back and savor SBH episodes. Along with watching primarily sageuks, I've been branching out into other genres, and like to track down vehicles the SBH cast members have acted in. JHJ's performance as Crown Prince Myongnong was terrific, and thanks to pointers from your JHJ sites, I've recently viewed several of his earlier roles (Song of the Prince, 49 Days) -- and Yong Pal to see how he does as a 21st century chaebol villain.

Just finished marathoning Great Ambition, and was tickled to see Jeong Seong-Mo (Marshall Hae in SBH), too. Owing to the partial subtitles in episode 35 available on YouTube.com, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on... I greatly appreciate your query and the responses you posted on 18 March 2012.

A big thank you to wuliJHJ for translating the missing dialogue. ;-)

Shades of CP Myongnong in the forests of Gaya and Dolim's greenhouse: he was shooing a fly (and a scheming would-be in-law) by throwing books. I can't help but wonder if the finicky fly-flailing scenes in SBH were a little tip of the hat to his role in Dae Mang.

Yep, JHJ most certainly emanates a princely aura in Dae Mang... along with vulnerability and pathos reminiscent of Ryu Deok-Hwan's exquisite portrayal of King Gongmin in Faith. That princely presence was the first thing I noticed about his portrayal of Myongnong, too.

Thanks for posting the photos... The resolution of the videos (and my laptop screen) made my old peepers strain to catch the nuances expressed by JHJ's royal visage.

BTW, I have been trying to find Love Letter online, but no dice so far. I'm in the US. Any idea where I might find it?

Many thanks for your posts. ;-)

Pakalanapikake

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2016 at 6:47 PM, pakalanapikake said:

BTW, I have been trying to find Love Letter online, but no dice so far. I'm in the US. Any idea where I might find it?

Am tickled pink to report that I've found that www.DramaGalaxy.tv currently offers a number of JHJ's early post-Daemang dramas with English subtitles. I'm watching from the USA, so your mileage may vary...

Love Letter (2003)

Nine Tailed Fox / Forbidden Love / Gumiho (2004) -- currently watching this. It's wild to see CP Myongnong playing a cop with a gun instead of a sword. ;-)

Enjoy!

Archived