[drama 2008] When It's At Night 밤이면 밤마다

Guest kdramafanusa

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you tell by the color of their teeth?? i remember the first time i lit my first cigarette...i lit the side with the foam...hahahahhaaha! *toinks* never smoke after that...

i wanna see that interview with Kim Jung Hwa in MBC....i dunno how to get it and post it here... :(:(

Yes I can; teeth, gums, fingernails and sometimes voice. I can tell whether they have been smoking for a long time because they have this raspy voice of a smoker.

Read that it's his birthday on the 26th, right? That's a pretty nice card,

mzpakipot. Wonder what CH will be giving him? Anyone knows?

that's right sueyip, it's on the 26th..it's 25 over here in the states..

per ebrigid's spoiler on this coming episode there's something for KBS, maybe it's CH giving "it" to him..hahaha j/k!

my thoughts on Cho Hee for these past episodes, i think she's a little emotionally unstable to a point that she's not the strong CH that we used to know..kanshu's actually right.. she needs to be strong for the sake of what people perceive her....hmmm..

:blush:

that's right sueyip, it's on the 26th..it's 25 over here in the states..

per ebrigid's spoiler on this coming episode there's something for KBS, maybe it's CH giving "it" to him..hahaha j/k!

my thoughts on Cho Hee for these past episodes, i think she's a little emotionally unstable to a point that she's not the strong CH that we used to know..kanshu's actually right.. she needs to be strong for the sake of what people perceive her....hmmm..

:blush:

..,nice to be back!!! :D let's see mmm...what do i miss here???

..,oh so so LDG's birthday its 12am here in the phil. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEE DONG GUN wish to see more on screen with KSA!!!!

Hey, I'm a very naive little lady ...... but what is "it"?

Is "it" the "it" that I'm thinking of ? ...... hehehe.

Thanks so much, guys. Real interesting and lively thread.

Love to read the different thought provoking character

analysis. But I noticed that most of them were on KBS. What

about CH's? What is she thinking actually? Is she still

hoping that TL Kang will accept her? Or has she developed

interests in KBS? Why did she drink like this? What's in her

mind? Anyone care to comment?

..,based on my observation this past few episodes, HCH still like TL kang but i think she's hurt for rejecting her so she's not hoping anything from TL Kang

..,as for KBS hmmm.... for me i think she cared a lot for KBS now since the visit to the grandparents of KBS and when she read his diary she somehow see some similarities in their life, i think now she's more aware of KBS behavior and for what KBS doing for her, just hope this coming episodes HCH show some affection to KBS..just the rumor was true

about the kissing scene of KBS en HCH i hope HCH kiss back or she's going to be the first to insist the kiss

OMG can't wait :sweatingbullets:

..,in ep10? she drink because she saw her father at the other side of the train station, based on my understanding she got upset when she saw her father think she felt angry w/ her father for not seeing them correct if i'm wrong but that;s how i understand that moment..

Hey, I'm a very naive little lady ...... but what is "it"?

Is "it" the "it" that I'm thinking of ? ...... hehehe.

..,ey what is it huh... spill it out :blink:

Guest merela
..,in ep10? she drink because she saw her father at the other side of the train station, based on my understanding she got upset when she saw her father think she felt angry w/ her father for not seeing them correct if i'm wrong but that;s how i understand that moment..

..,ey what is it huh... spill it out :blink:

According to c-subbers, CH told KBS that she saw her father in the subway. She followed him, but it's not him. She's crying and drinking because of her disappointment of that person not being her father. That's how I understood from the c-subbed episode, but that guy sure looks like her father. Realistically, I don't know how CH would be able to run to the other side of the platform in time to verify that man's identity before the subway train takes him away.

CH may have a soft spot for Kang, but I think after he rejected her, she put aside her feelings for him. Besides, KBS was right in her face being so nice to her. Which girl can resist a nice guy like that?! But I think what appealed to CH the most about KBS is his professionalism and how smart and knowledgeable he is about Korean art and artifacts. She is impressed by him.

IT'S TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!

생일축하합니다 --- saengil chukha hamnida lee dong gun!

record0000001132923-48-33copy-1.jpg

OMG! this is soo cutee!!

she sounds really cutee!!

..,OMG cute babies cute voice haengbokhan saengil LEE DONG GUN oppa

Guest kanshu
sorry to be off-topic, but what does that mean?

Probably a typo.... I think it meant to read "smog", since the air in Beijing is pretty polluted.

Ah... i think I understand now... you and I see the same thing, but from a different angle. My point is that he doesn't think things through to the end - the full end. I agree that the character who would think things through to the full end would no longer be KBS - but I never meant to say that he's supposed to change into a person like that. :sweatingbullets: I just tried to describe two different sorts of behaviour, the one that your description evokes in me when you say he's calculating, etc, and the discrepany that my own interpretation of what a calculating character's supposed to be causes.

So I just kind of tried to say your "calculating", and "being fully aware of the consequences" is basically what I think "gut planning" is. Doing something to spite HCH and annoy her is not a smart thing, it's KBS ego and inner child at the planning controls. Which is entirely my point, he doesn't THINK... I mean, he thinks, but doesn't think... erm... does that make any sense to you at all? I don't know how to explain it... I mean, THINK, like in properly thinking things through, in my book, would be Galileo-style, Yukawa-sensei. But KBS is not locked up in a lab where he has the time to think things through, he's in the Real Life outside and has to think on his feet, short term decisions, which usually work out good for him...

Ack! I'm just lousy at explaining, that's all. Sorry if I bore you with this, i.e. since I think we're on the same page about the character. :sweatingbullets:

I sense that you are a very analytical person and a guy like KBS will probably drive you up the wall. KBS does think but not in the manner that a normal layman would. KBS follows his own rules and anything outside of that, as far as he is concerned, does not apply to him. If your description of "gut planning" is someone calculating and being fully aware of the consequences, we are on the same page. I know annoying HC was not smart but I am amazed how this guy bounced back with the caring attitude he has shown HC latety. What is fascinating is that KBS is really sincere about his feelings for HC and I can tell that HC is responding because her attitude towards KBS has really softened. KBS has this gift of making things happen in his favor.

I didn't say that he lost control lengthly; this is something he never does. It's always outbursts with him, since he's working himself up over a certain aspect; which may or may not be related to his past. (I see think that the key point for his first "losing control", when he yelled at HCH for arresting the girl's robber-dad on the girl's birthday, was triggered by him feeling for the girl, whose father was taken away on her birthday, tapping right into his own many birthdays without his parents... There, you can see him going from his usual suave ways to a very different personae, single minded on persuading HCH to fulfill the father's wish, which suddenly became the only possible option to him, and then blowing off the handle when she didn't do it; added personal disappointment at someone he thinks is a good person "people I like don't do such things"; watch how he treated HCH before he left. Compare that to the scroll-incident, and you'll find a similar pattern there; this time triggered by him losing something valuable (from a professional point, but I also think it's his heart that just embraces these artefacts), and once he has found a possible solution, it suddenly becomes the only solution (thinking that it's HCH behind things))

For some odd reason, while thinking about this, I have that scene of KBS being teased by his grandfather about HCH in my mind; It was very subtle, but KBS had to get his grandfather's approval on HCH - and when the grandfather retracted his initial comment, KBS was all trying to find out why and chased after him to change his grandfather's opinion.

But again, I think we are basically on the same page here, just that we highlight different aspects of the same matter as "important". :)

I have to admit that I'm thouroughly enjoy the discussion with you. It makes me think, and re-examine my own thoughts (and rewatch!)... so it's a good thing that makes me happy, and love the show even more. :)

I did not give much thought about KBS's outbursts because I think it is part of his personality not necessarilty because they have something to do with his past. He probably felt sorry for the little girl whose going to celebrate her birthday without her dad but mainly, he can't understand HC's behaviour; to KBS, it is not a big deal to allow the father to celebrate with his daughter. On the other hand, the losing of the scroll was something KBS took personally; the scroll was certainly valuable to him but the thought that HC betrayed him must have affected him more than anything else.

I think KBS has already fallen in love with HC and he purposely brought her to meet his grandparents to show her off and also, to find out what they think of her. The fact that he was so concerned about the granfather's opinion of HC tells me that he cares for his grandparents very much and values their approval.

Heh! I hope you're not going to retire. I'll miss you! :tears::(

But cutting back is sometimes neccessary... I learned that when recapping too much. But I've already another show that has me hooked; earlier mentioned "Lawyers of Korea"... which is addicting like hell. Or rather, Han Min Gook is. :sweatingbullets:

kdrama is like a drug, WIAN i.e., in that it manages to distract me from Real Life like nothing else does at the moment....

I did see you in the Lawyers of Korea thread. I am following it myself and got hooked by the story and of course, Han Min Guk (Lee Sung Jae); great actor, lovable as hell. I am avoiding posting there because I might say something that will make the other posters stone me to death. But just between you and me, I am not crazy about Lee Soo Kyung's acting. Her comical timing is off, when she recites her lines, I cannot see any real emotions coming from her, it's as if she is reading from a cue card. Ahhh... how I wish it was Chae Rim instead of her.

Guest jastinel

Hi Guys! It`s 2:00 am here already. We had a family gathering, I`m a little bit drunk, I just finished cleaning up.

Can`t sleep without dropping by to this forum and check out what I have missed the whole day.

One thing for sure, I would miss this thread after WIAN!

I hope, I can still have a chance to see you guys in Suna`s thread. There is no other drama that I can watch without Suna in it, so I can`t say...I will see you in other drama thread. I hope, all of you can continue supporting Suna.

Love you guys for making this thread very lively and meaningful. Thanks Kanshu and mzpakipot, ebrigid, Kpopit, sheherizade for all you`re contribution and to Helena for putting up this thread! I feel sad that only 6 episode were left and after that, we wont see CH and KBS anymore. I hope there is a continuation for this drama, but I`d rather wish for Suna and LDG to do another project together, that will appreciated by many. WIAN, will remain a good memory for me, love this drama!

According to c-subbers, CH told KBS that she saw her father in the subway. She followed him, but it's not him. She's crying and drinking because of her disappointment of that person not being her father. That's how I understood from the c-subbed episode, but that guy sure looks like her father. Realistically, I don't know how CH would be able to run to the other side of the platform in time to verify that man's identity before the subway train takes him away.

CH may have a soft spot for Kang, but I think after he rejected her, she put aside her feelings for him. Besides, KBS was right in her face being so nice to her. Which girl can resist a nice guy like that?! But I think what appealed to CH the most about KBS is his professionalism and how smart and knowledgeable he is about Korean art and artifacts. She is impressed by him.

..,ohh did'nt see him following his father or the man she though he's father

..,yeah agree with you and know she really payed more attention to KBS.., note to self that she tells TL Kang that KBS was with him all night and she also tells that her father was the thief TL Kang referring not KBS, imagine how hard to the part of HCH to say it to the person you've once love and same person rejected you after confessing your love that your father is one of the most wanted thief in korea, and still she decide to tell it for the sake of KBS..,

..,oh yes can someone tells me about ep10 scene; what did HCH say to KBS while their drinking whine really don't undestand it and why did HCH go to president jhang (the WHITE SUIT GUY) what did they talk about think that's kind of important.., thank you :D

You know, the really sd thing is not that one won't see the actor for a while (because there's always a new project), but that the character will be gone for good. Unless there's a follow up season, in three weeks we'll reach the end of the character development, the integration of KBS into the team, we'll never see how little brother gets his first GF or how he gets married, or what horrible consequences it will have if TL Kang marries Lady Wang... :sweatingbullets:

Will Scar Guy and his promotion-hungry opponent ever see the end of it? How many babies will KBS and HCH have?...

I know it's kind of stupid and silly, but even if this are unreal persons, I'm curious about what the future holds in store for them, because I've grown to like them. :)

.., :tears: i'm thinking that myself too kanshu, i really wish theres a part 2 of WIAN like some twist of mr. and mrs. smith with a touch of story of the national treasure or indiana jones or maybe they would come up WIAN the movie sigh :rolleyes:sigh...

Guest kanshu
I sense that you are a very analytical person and a guy like KBS will probably drive you up the wall. KBS does think but not in the manner that a normal layman would. KBS follows his own rules and anything outside of that, as far as he is concerned, does not apply to him. If your description of "gut planning" is someone calculating and being fully aware of the consequences, we are on the same page. I know annoying HC was not smart but I am amazed how this guy bounced back with the caring attitude he has shown HC latety. What is fascinating is that KBS is really sincere about his feelings for HC and I can tell that HC is responding because her attitude towards KBS has really softened. KBS has this gift of making things happen in his favor.

Well, I'm always trying to figure out what makes a character tick, what buttons there are to push to make a character react in a certain way. Are there any patterns, any similar circumstances, what exactly did the character say/do/think? I did a bit fanfic writing a long while ago, so the goal was to recreate the charcters and their reactions so that the reader would feel like "wow, that's just like another episode"... I got kind of stuck on analysing characters afterwards, because it's fun to see if I can predict their next moves correctly, according to my obervations.

As for KBS drive me up the wall, not really. Actually, I admire him for his quick thinking and working with what he has. I'd be fed up by his breach of trust rather quickly, though, because trust is precious to me, and I don't stomach lies and betrayal well. :sweatingbullets: I doubt I'd be as forgiving as HCH is.

As I mentioned before, "gut planning" to me does include calculating and being aware of the consequences... but the difference between "proper planning" and "gut planning" lies in that "proper planning" means thinking through things properly, to the very end, including as many outcomes and obstacles as possible. KBS is fast on his feet and comes up with a solid plan... but he usually didn't consider all possible options, and thusly ends himself up in (more or less big) trouble. Mmm... it's method vs intention, I think. Being calculating and aware of the consequences is the "intention" behind the action, the thinking through to the end would be a "method" to achieve a goal. KBs employs the method of "thinking quick on his feet" most of the time.

About KBS having sincere feelings for HCH, I'm not as much surprised after learning more about his background and observing his actions. He's an onion guy, after all. :)

I did not give much thought about KBS's outbursts because I think it is part of his personality not necessarilty because they have something to do with his past. He probably felt sorry for the little girl whose going to celebrate her birthday without her dad but mainly, he can't understand HC's behaviour; to KBS, it is not a big deal to allow the father to celebrate with his daughter. On the other hand, the losing of the scroll was something KBS took personally; the scroll was certainly valuable to him but the thought that HC betrayed him must have affected him more than anything else.

I think KBS has already fallen in love with HC and he purposely brought her to meet his grandparents to show her off and also, to find out what they think of her. The fact that he was so concerned about the granfather's opinion of HC tells me that he cares for his grandparents very much and values their approval.

Well... your personality is the product of your past. It doesn't just pop into existence, but is shaped over the time of one's life. Everything that happens to you will find itself reflected in some part of your actions, reactions and thought patterns. Hence, to understand why KBS reacts the way he does, I need to understand his past, why certain things will make him react stronger, or others don't faze him at all...

KBS reaction to the girl&father was too much to be explained by a normal wish to see them celebrating together. When he exploded at HCH like that before he drove off, and when he was utterly cold towards when they met again, that was not KBS normal pattern when being upset. Like you said, he's calculating and thinks things through, so what is the point of upsetting HCH and be ugly to her, just because she sacked in the father on that kid's birthday? It wasn't kind, but it's nothing to be worked up over like that AND keep on giving her the cold shoulder.

The scroll-incident is actually three different reactions. First, the utter panic and shock when he came into his appartment and found the scroll gone. Second, when the idea that HCH was the one who stole the scroll from him got stuck in his brain and he finally, KBS going up against White Suit Guy to protect HCH after the scroll shows up in the museum. Each reaction is triggered by a different feeling; but the combination of all three weaken KBs ability to think logically to the point that he's no longer rational.

Since the first trigger is fear and panic (and being fully aware of the consequences that losing the scroll has), his hasty first analyis gets him stuck on the person who has shown strange behaviour lately and who's on his mind anyway (due to their earlier argument about stealing back the book, in which KBs even yelled at HCH)... It seems like the most logical thing that could happen, and he's concluding from his own patterns of action and superimposes them over HCHs pattern of behaviour. KBS, in that same situation, would've used the chance to steal the scroll, hence he thinks that KBS must've done it, too. Which is why he feels betrayed by her - his image of HCh doesn't fit with the perceived action (which is the point where his reason surrenders to the feeling of hurt, anger and disgust), because he knows, deep down, that HCH wouldn't steal he scroll. Still, his feelings get the better of him, and the situation that happens in HCH's place doesn't do anything to jerk KBS feelings back and have him start thinking straight again.

And worse, he can't shake those feelings off, doesn't cool down enough to stop and listen to HCH's side of things - probably because he thinks he didn't make a mistake in his deduction.

Then comes the big shock and realization that HCH didn't steal the scroll, and he accused her wrongly. That's when the mental hangover sets in, and he actually goes as far as apologizing to her. Imagine, KBS admitting he made a mistake! But before he can straighten out his thoughts, the next catastrophe strikes and he learns that HCH is in danger (here he's tossing aside the information that he's in danger too; he decides to protect HCh instead, fully aware of the consequence that he might get more than a slap on the wrist in the process... but he completely overlooks the fact that he's giving himself a big opening that Suit Guy and Kim Sang can capitalize on, which leads to HCH being in even bigger danger than before.

I did see you in the Lawyers of Korea thread. I am following it myself and got hooked by the story and of course, Han Min Guk (Lee Sung Jae); great actor, lovable as hell. I am avoiding posting there because I might say something that will make the other posters stone me to death. But just between you and me, I am not crazy about Lee Soo Kyung's acting. Her comical timing is off, when she recites her lines, I cannot see any real emotions coming from her, it's as if she is reading from a cue card. Ahhh... how I wish it was Chae Rim instead of her.

Well, Han Min Gook's the main reason for me to watch that show (even though the plot's intreaguing, too). As for LSK and her acting... why don't you just say it over there? :) Personally, I think she was weak in the first three episodes, but now she's gradually wrapping herself around the character. I'm sometimes reminded a bit about HCH from WIAN when I see her Lawyer Woo. Her characters has quite a few similar patterns of reactions, i.e. when she goes into bickering with MG.

Plus, it doesn't really help that HMG is such an outstanding, attention demanding character... even the other two lead are struggling to keep up with LSJ's acting, and those two, I consider excellent actors. :)

Guest kanshu
Hi Guys! It`s 2:00 am here already. We had a family gathering, I`m a little bit drunk, I just finished cleaning up.

Can`t sleep without dropping by to this forum and check out what I have missed the whole day.

One thing for sure, I would miss this thread after WIAN!

I hope, I can still have a chance to see you guys in Suna`s thread. There is no other drama that I can watch without Suna in it, so I can`t say...I will see you in other drama thread. I hope, all of you can continue supporting Suna.

Love you guys for making this thread very lively and meaningful. Thanks Kanshu and mzpakipot, ebrigid, Kpopit, sheherizade for all you`re contribution and to Helena for putting up this thread! I feel sad that only 6 episode were left and after that, we wont see CH and KBS anymore. I hope there is a continuation for this drama, but I`d rather wish for Suna and LDG to do another project together, that will appreciated by many. WIAN, will remain a good memory for me, love this drama!

Jastinel, why can't you watch another drama, just because Suna isn't in it?

Well... I'm not an actor fan, so chances are slim you'll find me in Suna's thread (or any other actor's thread, for the matter). But my signature will usually tell you what threads I'm visiting. :)

Another cooperation between Suna and LDG would certainly be interesting; it's just a question if he'll get much done before his military service begins. And he wants to find a girl to get married to in between, too... :sweatingbullets:

WIAN will be a good memory, but first, I need six more episodes to dissect! I'm already looking forward to the discussion of the next three weeks.

Like, I don't want to see Tl Kang just give up like that! Were will all the bickering between KBs and HCH go, if KBS is no longer jealous?

And on a side note, what happened to KBS co-host GF? He hasn't dumped her yet, unless that happened in a scene we haven't seen so far... I feel sorry for her. She is in love with KBS, to a point where she's willing to give up her career to be with him, and what does KBS do? He's falling for someone else and won't even tell her... How bad will she feel? Or did KBS take the chance when he said he was dating HCH, and hoped that the rumour would spread and the GF got the clue?

I think, that part of the plot is important enough to be addressed in a scene, just to show that KBS is serious about being with one girl and properly ending things with whoever else he's dating (I wonder if co-host girl was the only one who thought she was special to KBS, or if there's a bunch of angry girls who'll unleash their anger on KBS...?).

Guest kanshu
.,yeah agree with you and know she really payed more attention to KBS.., note to self that she tells TL Kang that KBS was with him all night and she also tells that her father was the thief TL Kang referring not KBS, imagine how hard to the part of HCH to say it to the person you've once love and same person rejected you after confessing your love that your father is one of the most wanted thief in korea, and still she decide to tell it for the sake of KBS..,

I don't think that she told about the thief being her father for KBs's sake. The "he was with me all the time", perhaps, but not the thing about her father. I think, she did that for her own, and for her brother's sake. It's mirroring the robber-dad's case and HCh's reason for arresting the man rather than letting him spend the day there (and perhaps make him sway and run, rather than turning himself in).

First of all, HCH's personality would never allow that an innocent person is blamed for something where she knows it was committed by someone else... and no matter what she thinks about KBS restoring that artefact, she knows that he's not the person who would return said artefacts to the museum voluntarily.

Second, if her father is caught, even if he goes to prison for many years, at least both HCH and her brother, will know where he is. That not-knowing about his whereabouts, if he's healthy, if he got enough sleep, or if he was killed by some crooks during trading stolen artefacts... that fear will be gone, because she knows him to be stored in prison, unable to get away for a couple of years.

As for saying that she was with KBS... she's trying to get distance between herself and TL Kang, because the sutiation is uncomfortable for both of them after her confession. She forced TL Kang's hand, and while he does have feelings for her, he rejected her (for probably the same reasons he stated towards Chief No in episode 2, when the Chief wanted to hook him up with HCH... he is a widower with a child, and he doesn't want to burden her with that. Plus, there's still his dead wife in his heart).

Archived