Do You Have An Accent?

Guest x0_tiKKi

I'm pretty sure I had a fob Filipino accent when I was a kid but I don't have an accent anymore, I just

frequently fob out a lot. My friend came from China 5 years ago and his English is so flawless, it's

so hard to believe he's an immigrant (like, NO accent at all). In BC, there's an area called Richmond

and it's pretty much filled with Chinese people and his parents didn't want him to live there because he

wouldn't be able to speak English as much with all the Chinese people around him so he lived somewhere

else. His friend lives in Richmond (he's an immigrant too) and he came to Canada 5 years ago too

except he still has accent/goes to ESL. Where you live affects how you speak so much.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest laydeepkay

yes, i have a slight accent.

when i talk normally, i pronounce words that start with "th" as "d"; so "that" will become "dat".

if i concentrate then everything sounds okay, but just casually speaking... dis will happen.

:( and i was born and raised in the US. i've only been to asia once, when i was 1 years old. so i have no idea why i have this accent. but it sucks.

Guest HeloiseJay

I was born in Malaysia and now living in the UK. I have slight asian accent and the rest British but apparently I also have American accent. Probably due to the amount of TV I watch! XD

Not too much people speak English in here so when I speak in English, it kinda sounds like I have a ghetto accent. I don't know. Haha. My friends tell me I talk ghetto a lot. Like I lose my t's. Better --> Be'ehr. Latin --> La'in.

Guest daragonfever

ummm....

i just immigrated here in the u.s for almost 2 years, from the phiippines...

and everyone in the house speaks tagalog, except my cousin who speaks english coz she was born here..

anyways, i think i don't have an accent although i'm still having a hard time speaking in english to someone in school... probably coz i'm shy that i might not get my grammar right...*sigh*

still learning to speak in english fluently... :blush: :P

Guest adrenaline__x

i went snowboarding with some friends, and while i was talking with my friend when we were waiting for the ski lift, some guy in front of us were like you guys from brooklyn right?

so i guess i do?

and an unnoticable accent when i speak cantonese.

• 1 month later...
Guest jennyflorenz

I do have BRITISH (cockney) & ENGLISH accent although I'm born & raised here in the Philippines.

:D a lot of people noticed too...

I do have BRITISH (cockney) & AMERICAN ENGLISH accent although I'm born & raised here in the Philippines.

:D a lot of people noticed too...

Guest MR. LEE'S

well in my country there are a lot of accents, depends on which city you live in. for me, i live in big city so thank to god i don't have any accent that could have influenced the way i speak in my native language and english. i learn an england english but it seems like i speak like an american. i have the us accent and- it's kinda hard for me to speak in the proper english that i learned. so i have a dream on further my study in britain since i really adore how the occupants speak in britain. i want the accent- the sexy accent. waaa.

Guest JAMIESHOCK

We all have an accent one way or another. It's just that if you're surrounded by only people who pronounce words the same way as you, you don't notice it. There are so many different variations in American English itself! I never thought I had an accent until I went out of state and someone immediately knew I was from California lol and said I had a Californian accent. But, honestly, the differences are pretty small and insignificant, and unless you study linguistics, you might not pick up on them. For example, vowel shifts: Mary, merry, marry all sound the same to me, but apparently they sound different elsewhere. :o! Also, most Californians don't have an audible release of consonants, which apparently most speakers of American English do. But, all in all, California English is kind of boring phonetically. The lexical differences between Northern California and Southern California is much more fascinating, but the never-ending argument between the two gets old... fast.

Californian accent is hard to pick up on and I grew with both Cantonese and English so basically, I don't really have an accent (or one truly worth mentioning, I should say).

Guest Koutarou

I was born in the U.S.

English was my first language.

My Vietnamese is extremely limited....

but...

I speak English with a kind of Asian accent. o_o"

Some words don't come out right, and I stumble when I talk fast.

And sometimes I forget how to pronounce certain words. ahaha

Guest KaiKaname

yeah.... sadly :(((( people say it kute tho so im ok with it but i hate when people say... can u repeat that? or what you saying?

Guest kpop_lover

I was born in China but raised in US and I have an Texan accent.

According to the people that I talk to, I do.

I think I have it b/c I've lived in TX for like 9 years.

Archived