What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Guest loO4la

Guest missyblue

angelology by danielle trussoni.

on page 30... it's going eeeeeeeeh. but i'm not giving up on it yet! heh.

i'm reading kafka on the shore.. it's alright.. not as good as the wind up bird chronicle imo

I absolutely detest Kafka on the Shore. Some people love it to bits, but I think it's meandering and aimless, like Murakami had a bunch of themes he didn't quite know how to deal with. I'd rather re-read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle any day.

Yeah, I've heard that Dance Dance Dance is a good read. It's also one of the reasons why I really wanted to read A Wild Sheep Chase, because it's supposed to be the sequel on that book.

I have only read Norwegian Wood and A wild Sheep Chase so far. I started on Dance Dance Dance today =] Planning on reading Kafka on the Shore and The Elephant Vanishes next. =D Actually have anyone read The Elephant Vanishes? How is it?

I've read The Elephant Vanishes. If you like short stories, I think this is a decent collection, but it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. This is a personal thing, since I don't like short stories in general, but Murakami's short stories tend to leave me short-changed, especially after the quake. If you feel his novels are open-ended, some of the short stories can be like... "what the heck, that's it?!"

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman is a better collection, I feel, because some of the stories are more... complete, if you will. Less of that "what the heck" feeling.

Just finished reading holes by Louis sachar. now starting on little women by louisa may Alcott. I'm very much on my way to completing the BBC the big read list. :)

I'm still working on Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. It's been such a struggle for me trying to get through this book. It's not difficult to understand, the writing is very refined and elegant and I have no problems with it. My only contention is that the leading characters, Fanny and Edmund, are complete bores! They are so bland. Fanny is weak and spineless and Edmund is too self-righteous for my liking. All of the other secondary characters are much more interesting than those two.

What I talk about when I talk about running - Haruki Murakami; the only book of his I haven't read yet. So far, so good. I love how his mind works.

The Return of Philip Latinowicz - Miroslav Krleza; dear God, this book is FANTASTIC! I can't believe it took me so long to pick it up! It's a hard read, that's for sure, but it is amazing. Dostoevsky lovers will definitely love Krleza.

Guest Stolen_waters

Can anyone recommend a book that's similar to The Lost Symbol? It's such a great book!

Dan Brown's Lost Symbol? I recommend books by James Rollins (especially his SIGMA force novels) and by Daniel Silva.

If you're going to read a bunch of James Rollins' novels though, you should read a book by a different author in between 'cause he usually uses like a certain equation in his plots, so he can get a bit repetitive, but I still like him. I feel more emotions from his[Rollins'] characters than Brown's. He also doesn't just focus on one character, unlike Brown whose stories revolve mostly around Robert Langdon only. He provides a list of what's fact and what fiction and a couple of recommended readings too.

You can also try Preston and Child or just Douglas Preston. I didn't like their novels that much, but they have decent/good reviews.

Try to avoid Matthew Reilly. Omg. IMO, worst writing style ever and messy plots.

If you're curious, pick up one of his novels, and judge for yourself. B)

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

What do you think of it so far? Although it's supposed to be a great classic and such, I have to say I actually disliked that novel.

I'm currently reading William Faulkner's "Light in August" and am really enjoying it so far.