Academy Award Nominees 2008

melkimx

A lot of people are still bitter about Blanchett losing out to Gwyneth Paltrow for her role in Elizabeth I so maybe they're trying to make up for it, but yeah I doubt she'll win. It will go to either Julie Christie or Marion Cotillard. I haven't seen their respective movies but I have only heard good things about La Vie En Rose, and I know Julie Christie always kick richard simmons.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HeffyEnd
Heffy, isn't the Cinematography category orgasmic? I wanted Harry Savides to get nominated for SOMETHING, but still.

It is.

Too bad score blows.

Well alright, it doesn't blow, but Johnny Greenwoods TWBB score being deemed "ineligible" pisses me off. At least your Dario will win now. Their rules for score don't make any sense. With the whole Babel fiasco last year, and Clint Mansells disturbing omission, I don't really care about their score catergory anymore.

OMG I felt that Angelina Jolie was totally snubbed...her performance in A Mighty Heart was so great and she shoulda received a nomination.

ditto.

and for best actor, i can see johnny depp taking it.

Guest lovely-disaster

Ohh..I really hope Juno wins for best picture. I thought it was a wonderful movie. I might be biased though, since I haven't seen any of the other ones except for Atonement. :D

Guest VersusVillain

^That is clearly a typo.

Well alright, it doesn't blow, but Johnny Greenwoods TWBB score being deemed "ineligible" pisses me off. At least your Dario will win now. Their rules for score don't make any sense. With the whole Babel fiasco last year, and Clint Mansells disturbing omission, I don't really care about their score catergory anymore.

You mean the score from Babel didn't MOVE YOU?!

For us to be able to HEAR each other...

...We have to LISTEN.

:deep:

Guest losborrachos

i have to respond to the bold 28-point font remark dripping in sarcasm... the score blows and should've been ineligible, but in all fairness, the movie itself was worthy--not as good as, say, amores perros, but worthy.

marianelli should get this one for, again, "elegy for dunkirk" alone.

Guest HeffyEnd

LOL Versus. =/

i find that offensive, because i'm aussie! lol..

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm a big fan of Naomi Watts and Toni Collette.

Cate Blanchett is a really good actress, it's just annoying when AMPAS picks a person to nominate for any good role they do, no matter who else could have been nominated. Amy Adams, Angelina Jolie, Kelly MacDonald, Catherine Keener, Vanessa Redgrave all had great performances too, and could have easily been nominated over Cate.

Guest losborrachos

ooh so i was talking to my friend and i realized there IS one major category where i'm very partial: best animated feature. yeah, if the rat movie didn't get the award i would be pissed beyond belief. hell, it even deserves best original screenplay.

Guest Myss Blewm
i'm surprised keira wasn't nominated for best actress.. she deserves that kind of recognition

I wasn't too surprised. There was part of me that thought she might get a nom because the Academy really likes her but her role is considered a little too small to go for "Best Actress". She's still also really young. There's plenty of time in future films for her to get nominated. Also she was nominated in "Pride and Prejudice" awhile back so I think the members of the Academy chose to give the vote to some of the other ladies.

Guest HeffyEnd

Umm.. Ruby Dee won the SAG for BSA tonight.

That means the BSA Oscar is pretty much up in the air. It'll either be Amy Ryan (the critics favorite), Cate Blanchett (veteran; object of AMPAS affection) or Ruby Dee (old timer with no win; sympathy vote). I'm not knocking Dee but in a year of great supporting actress performances, they're going to give it to her because of pretty much one scene where she gets teary eyed and slaps Denzel in the face. Lawl. I guess I'll predict her. I wouldn't mind too much though because the other acting categories are locked tight and they're solid.

Well, Daniel Day-Lewis is 100% locked. Javier Bardem is, I'd say 80% with Holbrook at 20% (but they gave it to the old guy last year over the frontrunner, so come on). Christie is almost a sure win. almost.

In other news:

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the film "Once", or not. It was nominated for original song for "Falling Slowly". I just thought I'd mention that it might be ruled ineligible now, for some stupid reason. I don't know if they'd nominate something else or just go with the four standing nominees, but there ya go. Whatever, all the songs from Enchanted will probably split votes anyway and August Rush will win, LOL. =/ Eddie Vedder should've been nominated. -_-

Guest pandoras0nymph

im sad, heath wasnt nominated. but im happy cate got 2 noms.. back to back best actress and best supporting actress! i wish she wins best actress since, she was robbed last time.

Guest saysjessi

agree with all the above, angelina jolie definitely should have been nominated.

i'm glad to see casey affleck up for supporting actor, he was BRILLIANT in jesse james. i saw the film and loved it.

also, yay for javier bardem! huge talent, acted the hell out of mar adentro. glad to see he's finding success in the u.s.

edit: i LOVED once! the music was terrific, i hope it's not ruled ineligible. :(

i didnt watch ANY of the nominated films except for ratatouille :lol:

poor student got no money for the expensive cinnemas here in london

gotta check out some of the movies sometime

hum...wondering. is 'la vie en rose' about Edith Piaf?

pretty satisfied with best picture noms.

Atonement: Eh movie but i LOVE the book so points for that.

Juno: Loved the movie. very quirky.

Michael Clayton: did not watch.

No Country for Old Men: really really really good

There Will be Blood: Best

Although I loved 'Juno'... 'No Country for Old Men' and 'There Will Be Blood' are works of art.

What you call Masterpieces.

Leaning more towards 'There Will Be Blood' though.

i agree with celest1al, No Country For Old Men was fantastic! very very good! i also recently saw There Will Be blood, and i must say, its almost as good as No Country For Old Men.

Archived