Choi Jin Hyuk 최진혁 [Current SBS Variety Show]'My Little Old Boy'; [completed MBC Drama 2023] "Numbers"; [Current Drama JTBC 2024 Drama]"She Is Different Day and Night 낮과 밤이 다른 그녀"

booha

The Emergency Couple volunteer project to Boramae Medical Center has been cancelled.

To fulfill a ratings promise, the team of tvN’s Emergency Couple made were scheduled to do community service on April 17 at Boramae Medical Center. However with the entire nation in sadness with the recent sinking of a passenger ship in Jindo, the group decided to fulfill its promise another time and canceled the project. 

Newsen spoke with an Emergency Couple rep on April 18, who stated, “We decided that it wouldn’t be right to fulfill a promise immediately with the nation in anguish and canceled the project.” 

The rep added, “We haven’t decided when we’ll carry on the promise. For now, it’s postponed.”

Meanwhile, on April 16, the passenger ship SEWOL departed Incheon, headed for Jeju Island. The ship unfortunately had an accident and began to sink. As of April 18 9AM (KST), 179 have been saved, 25 have died, and 271 are still missing. 

cr:mwave

#South Korea - Our Thoughts and Prayers Are With You!

Guest mdolphins

@Yeekrfan2 said: Credit to: laquetahodge  @ Soompi Recap

Wonny and Hyunnie

Yes, that’s my nickname for her. Speaking of Wonny, him and his Hyunnie (see how great that sounds?) have a bed scene… not like that. It’s very intimate and shows a whole other side to Won we didn’t see. He’s very soft with her and asks her to hold on while he’s slowly climbing to the top. We see she knows what Won’s aspirations are and knows what he wants is totally different than Tan. He wonders if their relationship would be different had he done what his brother is doing. It’s sweet because I see that he admires his brother for taking a different road than him and really doing something that he wants instead of doing what he’s told. I hope Won and Hyun Joo get married, he left his blind date because he felt guilty and didn’t want to be there. These two are made for each other. I demand a wedding and babies. Okay, not babies but a wedding will suffice. 

Guest mdolphins

Omo...he is so cute in it, but I am really struggling listening to her sing...oh the things we endure to watch him!!!! The subs are simply dreadful at Gooddrama, but so far it is the only place I can find to watch it.

@celes80
Thank you so much for the wonderfully translated articles, it's such joy to read it !
:-bd  Jin Hyuk interviews are always so joyful to read and he gives very insightful & perceptive comments and we learn a little bit more about him each times.

Thanks @booha for this smiling sexy dark WR, this make me go back and watch his MV again.
Hope you've enjoyed your *home coming*

TONE DEAF CLINIC - HOT scene, but it's wet! I think there is a gif or video for this scene, gotta find it! ;)

Thanks @Mishiellie Talking abt wet hyukhyuk w. white shirt~ here it is (from movie deaf tone clinic .. he had really minor role)
cr: eunheethefrog's tumblr

tumblr_mubk0iGPr71s28atho1_500.pngtumblr_mubk0iGPr71s28atho2_500.pngtumblr_mubk0iGPr71s28atho3_500.pngtumblr_mubk0iGPr71s28atho4_500.pngtumblr_mubk0iGPr71s28atho5_500.png

Mishiellie said: [interview] The Four Charms of Choi Jin Hyuk

Million Dollar Voice

One of the contributing factors to Choi Jin Hyuk’s popularity was his voice. His deep and low voice tone adds weight to his role and attracts viewers’ attention. Choi Jin Hyuk described his voice as ‘the one that echoes in a public bath house’ but his voice surely took away the hearts of many female viewers. 

He is also skilled in singing. He has participated in recording the OST for every project he was in. His OST for Gu Family Book and The Heirs ranked high on the music charts. 

“I don’t think my voice is good but it just echoes more than others.’ (laughter) I dreamed of becoming a singer when I was younger but I like acting more. I think of releasing an album but I want to participate in recording OST when the opportunity comes. I want to continue to interact with the public through good projects.”

Photo credit: enews/ Hea Jung Min

Cr: mwave

Thanks @booha for the spoiler tag info.  @Yeekrfan2 - you're very welcome. :)

Think something's wrong with my com and I can't post any pics using the copy-paste method.  It just won't register... Grr... Anyway, here's part two of the interview.  Just so soompiers dont have to jump between 2 pages, I've re-posted using the spoiler tags for both Parts 1 and 2 below, since the interviews are soo long.

P.S.  I must qualify that I really am not that good at Japanese so if I've made a mistake, please do correct me and I'll amend it accordingly.  I must also say upfront now that I have new found respect for ppl who do all the translating work for us.  Having done it once here, it really is not easy and consumes so much time and energy for me, particularly as I'm not a native speaker!  But I'll keep doing it, if I find good insightful articles and if you all are interested to read it of course.  This is really just a hobby for me, so no promises on when I'll do the next one.  Really depends on when I have time.  Happy reading guys.

<<Part 1 Interview>>

Choi Jin Hyuk <<Gu Family Book>> "Shooting of the wedding scene, the atmosphere on set... My heart was beating very fast..."

First, tell us why you decided to act in Gu Family Book (GFB).

CJH: Up till now, in Korea's period dramas, I think there has never been such an interesting storyline/genre.  I thought it would be interesting to act out the role of a male gumiho (9-tailed fox) in a fantasy-themed drama.  It would surely be popular.  I also thought that the role of Gu Wol Ryeong (GWR) suited me very much.  And so, I decided to take on the role in GFB.

When you read the script, please tell us about your thoughts.

CJH: As I mentioned earlier, there were female gumiho roles in the past, but it is the first time a male gumiho role was being featured.  I thought the concept was both fresh and interesting.  Furthermore, the director for the GFB was Shin Woo-Chul and the screenplay was by Kan Eun-Kyung.  I thought to myself, I definitely must act in this drama.

What did you think about your character/role in the drama?

CJH: GWR was a mythical creature who lived for more than 1,000 in Jiri Mountain,  But his life took on a new path when he fell in love with a human woman.  He was pure at heart, but also someone who was very cute and charismatic at the same time.  A rare character indeed.

“The decision to re-appear…. On the one hand I really wanted to try acting as dark GWR, on the other hand, I was terrified…”

What was the atmosphere like during filming?  Did you manage to engage in much conversation with your co-stars?

CJH: Ah yes.  My co-actors were rather envious of my role because the director and cameramen shot my scenes very well.  My seniors said they were envious, so did Lee Seung Gi, who said I was "so sexy".  While waiting in between scenes and during break times, everyone was fooling around.  It was very fun on set!  There were many scenes that involved giant fans to create the CG effects, so there were difficult times as well, but I also experienced many new challenges.

Did you feel any pressure having to carry the drama through its opening?  How did you feel?

CJH: GFB is a period drama with fantasy elements.  Whether or not the drama eventually flops or succeeds depends on its opening.  Having a favourable start is of critical importance.  Because of that, I was definitely under a lot of pressure.  But it was because of this reason that I really tried my best for the drama.  Even though the director had already given his "OK", there were times when we'd reshoot the scene because I thought it could have been done better.  To make sure the opening 2 episodes stood out, I thought to try my best right to the very end.  I definitely felt the heavy burden, but I gave it my all.

Are you happy/satisfied with the way the first 2 episodes turned out?

CJH: Actually, my acting was not very good.  But the director shot the scenes very well.  For that, I am very grateful.

There has been a resurgence in your popularity in recent times, how much do you actually feel it?

CJH: Ah, yes.  This is kind of embarassing to say, but I am aware of the various comments and posts on internet forums.  More fans have also been coming up to me in real life.  When I'm filming outdoors, I also notice more people coming up to me (Celes80: the actual word used was tourists, but I think he was referring to people in general.)  When they come up to me to offer words of encouragement, I feel very happy.  It is during times like these that yes, I actually feel it.

When it was decided that GWR would be making a return later on in the drama, tell us about your thoughts when you first heard about it?

CJH: Because episode 2 was extremely well-received by the public, actually I was thinking that it may be better if I didn't return to act in the drama.  Because I did not want to expose the flaws in my acting, and the fact that I was actually very inexperienced... I was actually feeling very conflicted inside.  On the one hand, I wanted to give it a try, on the other, I was so terrified.  There were so many people enamoured with the pure and sweet image of good GWR, to appear again would mean destroying that image and showing GWR as a dark, sexy character.  It would be my first time taking on such a role and I wasn't sure I would be able to take it on well.  I was worried.  However, having thought through it many times over afterwards, I decided to embrace the role and confirmed my appearance subsequently.

What is the main difference between good GWR at the beginning and dark GWR after he became a 1,000 year old demon?

CJH: Dark GWR, even as a 1,000 year old demon, was very charismatic.  I needed to reflect this through my acting.  The role of dark GWR was sexy, simple-minded, but also someone who had lost all his memories.  But I did not really understand how to act out this role, for dark GWR to appear as someone wtih sex appeal.  I was worried.  How could I convey this in my acting?  First of all, I tried to convey this through my eye expressions, by focusing my gaze intensely (at someone).  The main difference with acting out good GWR at the beginning was that his tone of voice was lower, and his breathing also had to be kept suppressed when he was speaking.  I really had to polish my acting skills to take on this role.  I was obsessed with turning him into this charming character.  So I felt relieved when dark GWR was eventually well-received by the audience.

The role of acting as a mythical creature in this case must have difficult.  Did you take reference from any dramas or movies?

CJH: I watched the "Twilight" series of movies and took reference from it.  There are cultural differences between America and Korea of course.  we do have period dramas of similar genre in Korea, but I think Korea relies more heavily on the actor's skills to flesh out the character (Celes80: I'm not too sure about the translation for this part.  What I think it means is that it is less about the storyline and plot, as with most American movies, but in Korea, the focus is more so on the actor's skills and interpretation of the character to successfully bring out the role.)  In any case, I thought it useful to take reference from previous productions to see if I could improve on my performance.

<<PART 2 Interview>>

"Shooting of the wedding scene, the atmosphere on set... my heart was beating very fast..."

When you were filming with Lee Yeon Hee, any impressive episodes?

CJH: You asked a very difficult question… Filming was extremely difficult.  February was extremely cold and it was terrible to have to subject her to such freezing temperatures.  We had to shoot some scenes in Jeju Island, but because the weather conditions were so terrible, we had to cancel filming on a few occasions and come back again another time.  Episodes 1 and 2 were filmed in February.  Because Yeon Hee and I were so determined to film the scenes well, we did not have time to joke with each other on set.  However, because of that, we did manage to film the scenes well.  When we were shooting the opening scenes, everyone on set was very serious, but they all came together to encourage us.  Because of that, we overcame the difficulties and survived through the difficult filming process.

Jin Hyuk, have you ever imagined about life after marriage?  Can you describe for us your ideal life after marriage?

CJH: Well, I’m still single, so I don’t really have anything to say…. When we were filming the wedding scenes for GFB, I was really nervous though.  The part where I handed over the flower bouquet during the wedding ceremony.  Also, the part where I gave her the peaches that I’d plucked.  When we were filming those scenes, I felt… strange… I’m not sure what the atmosphere on set was like at the time, but my heart was beating strongly.

What were some of the difficult as well as enjoyable moments during the filming of the scenes requiring CG?

CJH: I transformed into a gumiho in episode 1.  As humans were threatening the mountain, I made my appearance.  In that particular scene, they had to use CG afterwards, to create the effect of falling leaves and sparks flying to create the effect of a grand entrance/spectacle.  I had to act out the scene in front of giant fans, using only my body language and facial expressions.  Even the director was laughing.  I had practiced many times in front of the mirror for this scene, thinking what should be the right pose for this?  I was troubled thinking about what I should do, in order to appear convincing as a gumiho.  But (even though I practiced), when I filmed the scene alone in front of giant fans, I was really embarrassed.  I was thinking then I must concentrate on my acting, or I would not be able to complete my scenes.  There were also difficult moments with filming the CG in other scenes.  During filming, they had to draw blood vessels on my body.  However, when I was on the sofa thinking about the scene, my tears started to fall and suddenly, all the blood vessels disappeared!  Whenever I cried for the scene, all the blood vessels would disappear and this happened repeatedly.  As I was immersed in the role, they had to stop me mid-way through the filming and requested that I redo the scene repeatedly.  Through this process (of stop and repeat), I was able to connect with the acting, but it was considerably difficult for me. 

Please leave a message for Seung Gi who played the role of your son, Kang Chi, in the drama.

CJH: A message? In the drama, monk So Jung had said this: “When it comes to (human) women, even (human) men find it difficult to bear the burden.  So you had better not believe women!”  I think so too.

Any favourite lines from the drama?

CJH: Ah, yes.  Dark GWR had very few lines in the drama.  I too, thought that having few lines fitted well with his character.  If I had to choose from the very few lines that he had, it would be: “Don’t touch my woman!” and after that “Why (did you do it)?  I loved you.  I loved you so”  When I was reading the script, these two lines left a deep impression on me.  Both lines lead one to think deeply and contemplate its meaning.

Why do you think the ratings for the drama were so high?

CJH:  Lee Seung Gi and Suzy (Miss A) are the most popular stars in Korea at the moment and they both acted as the main leads.  Both of them also gave it their all for the drama.  Besides that, the screenplay was written by Mr Kan and it was directed by Mr Shin.  Furthermore, the supporting cast comprised of many excellent and experienced actors.  Lee Sung Jae (as Jo Kwan Woong), Jo Sung Ha (as Dam Pyung Joon) and Yoo Dong Geun (as Lee Soon Shin) are splendid actors.  It is a drama made up of all the big actors in Korea, which is why I believed the drama would be a hit.  I thought all the more reason for me to act in the drama’s opening.

"I might cry during the launch…"

Jin Hyuk, what is GFB to you?

CJH: GFB is a drama that allowed me to improve on my acting skills considerably.  There was a big change within myself.  Through this drama, I understood how to emote when acting.  Acting should not just be expressed on the surface, but should also be expressed emotionally in many ways.  It was the first time I experienced this. I am very grateful to have been reminded of this through this piece of work.  All the staff also got along very well.  When filming ended, I felt very lonely. I might cry during the launch… This was a piece of work that taught me a lot of things and I think I will never forget about GFB from here on.

A message for your Japanese fans who have been eagerly anticipating your drama?

CJH: I am very pleased that GFB will be broadcasted in Japan.  It is likely that the theme of the drama will suit people in Japan.  In my previous work “Panda and Hedgehog” I mentioned before that it seems that Japanese like these types of drama (Celes80: I’m not sure about the translation of this part – literally, the words used were ‘favourite colour’ which I thought was rather odd.) I think that they would likely find this fantasy-themed period drama enjoyable too.  Furthermore, the drama is made up of a star-studded cast comprising of gorgeous men. (Celes80: LOL!) They are likely to capture the hearts of Japanese women.  Those who have been waiting excitedly for this drama will not be disappointed.  I take pride in being able to present this new and unique drama to everyone.  I would be delighted if many people in Japan watch GFB. 

Do you feel like your popularity in Japan has increased?  What has changed for you before and after the filming of this drama?

CJH: The biggest difference between then and now has been the increase in the number of media offers (Celes80: Refers to drama and movie offers, radio, commercials etc.) The drama is yet to air in Japan so I’m not sure (about the effect in Japan), but it seems like my fans have been looking forward to the drama.  Surely after it has been broadcasted in Japan, I think that many people would come to like and be absorbed in the drama too.

Finally, please give us a short introduction of the drama.

CJH: GFB is a story about mythical creatures (gumihos).  Japanese people may not be very familiar with mythical creatures, but there have been similar genres such as in the movie series “Twilight”.  In Korea, we have legendary characters such as the gumihos.  GFB is a story about Kang Chi, who is a half-gumiho and half-human, and his quest to become human.  The drama would definitely be a feast to your eyes and resonate with your heart.  There are comical scenes too!  You would finish the drama and not be tired of it. Please support the drama!

@celes80   Hello chingu  It looks like you figured out the tag. hohooo   That's great.  BTW  Did you click on ' Copy Image ' ?

@Yeekrfan2   Hi    So many sweet postings and So many interesting memories!!!     Soon I need extra time to enjoy  all of your latest postings.       

Guest Mishiellie

@sunshine4ever hello!!! no I didn't start this thread originally.. I took it over last year.I discovered CJH back in 2012 after I need romance. and I hung out mostly in CJH baidu and then when I remembered here I decided to see if there was anything under his name but found out if was under his old name Kim Tae Ho... So send msg to mod to have it changed over to meWR and SH will forever have a special place in my heart.. their love story was epic and saddddd my heart hurts for them everytime.. esp for WR. 
For JH... I think it all depends on luck and his management... his role didnt stand out.. people couldnt relate I guess... but WR... his performance was just.. he put everything out for that role.. he said in an interview that if he didnt get recognized or something after Gu family.. he would quit acting. 
Gu family book was actually the first project he took on after switching agency to Red Brick House.. so Ithink agency matters too and the role. like for Lee min Ho.. I watched him way before BOF... but I never noticed him even though his character was somewhat important in those dramas... but then after BOF his fame just went off the roof haha . 
As for the fanmeeting.. not sure if my friend will get to see him since of the ferry incident.. and she is just touring in Korea with her Korean friend.. she is from Canada.. so if they delay it.... she might not be able to attend =(

Guest Mishiellie

OH!! ARE WE ALLOWED to have others make changes now on the thread??? yay!!! I see the thread title changing!! this pleases me so

This article is long so I didn’t translate the whole article and left out the top portion.

(translation)
'응급연애' 최진혁 "저도 응급 연애하고 싶어요!"(인터뷰)
'ER Date'   CJH  "I want to have ER date too!"  (interview)

CJH said about SJH with whom he had a working harmony, “If there is another opportunity available, I would like to work with her again.’
‘She was more like a noona to me so I was very comfortable working together. (SJH) Noona and I felt a lot of excitement about acting in this drama, since we did a dark and heavy character previously.    Actually we acquired a working harmony in a such short time period in EC and we matched well.

EC dealt about the main leads’ marriage, divorce and then reconciliation which isn’t an easy feat in the real world.

What CJH thought of dating and marriage through the drama.
‘Actually among ourselves, the cast, we discussed it.   This couple ended their relationship after hurting and giving insult to each other verbally, and we wondered how they could again start to have a good feeling for each other.   I know it isn’t going to happen to me and it would be difficult in reality for this kind of a drama situation.

CJH revealed his ER situation isn’t about the next choice after EC but dating.
‘Lately I have been thinking about dating. If there was romance in a project, I wondered why wasn’t I actually dating with someone.   There were many couples going out to watch flowers which made me envious and jealous of them.’
He hasn’t met the right person yet but he opened about the ideal woman he wished to meet.
‘I want to meet a woman who is charming and cute. Somehow a natural yet cute and sociable woman could be called my ideal person. I wish to meet a woman who, even if she acts to others coldly, nonetheless acts sweetly toward me. I want to have a date soon.’

Through EC CJH showed an altogether different image than previous ones. In the past he portrayed weighty and dark characters. Could he continuously carry on his romcom challenge.
‘I don’t know whether I will have another chance. I think I might be able to do well with the romcom genre. If opportunity comes, I might try it.’

CJH said for the next project after EC, he was looking into either a drama or a movie.

What would be his next genre.
‘I would to like avoid any authentic saguk or medical ones. I did ‘GFB,’ a fusion saguk and ‘EC,’ a medical drama. I don’t know what kind of project I will do but I want to show a different CJH image.’

Why he wants to avoid saguk or medical.
‘Saguk uses its own unique dialog and I’m not sure I could be able to master it.  I don’t feel very confident about it.  The medical drama has the same problem. Even though EC wasn’t a medical drama, there was a lot of medical terminology.  I had to act like a professional but it wasn’t easy.  My part was only an intern but I was still worried because my character might look sloppy.  In a medical drama, one gives treatment and at the same time expresses certain emotion.   It was quite difficult for me.’

In EC, the happy ending for OCM and OJH was shown as working together in ER. Their reconciliation was implied but it wasn’t conclusive.   So it gave out a lingering imagery.  What was CJH’s thought of this ending.
‘I liked the ending. It left this lingering feeling because it wasn’t simply ending with a marriage. The ending of EC was perfect.’

Because EC left this lingering feeling, there is a possibility of having Season2. If Season2 is possible, CJH would like to appear in it.
‘Personally I don’t think there will be a Season2. However if it happens, I would like to try it.  A character like OCM has a lot of strength.’

CJH keeps his mind on the enlistment this year. He passed for the Seoul police section last March. Because of his age he has to make a decision.
‘I’m planning to go this year. It’s about time. I have no wish to delay it. Still the enlistment isn’t decided yet but I’ll do it this year.’

But CJH plans to take a break and to clear his mind. Afterward he wishes to show a new and better image of himself. ‘I would like to hear from people, ‘CJH who is growing for an actor.’ I’ll try to be an actor who is good at his craft through a next project.’

http://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2014041600451180291&type=3

Guest sunshine4ever

So thanks to @PolarisCat I was able to view MDTF with ease because I downloaded the plugin that was recommended for Chrome to unblock Youku. It gave me 1 min ad and then smooth sailing episodes of MDTF. But I bought about 11 dvds of MDTF because I found a video store that actually has it. I figured I won't be able to go through 44 discs worth of 131 episodes, so decided only to buy selected episodes. And will watch the rest at the site that was given to me. The recaps probably gonna take a while. I have to agree with @Yeekrfan2 that episodes 90ish up to 115 things were tense in the show. It made me want to dig into more, so maybe I do want to see other characters, too.

I think the reason why Jin Hyuk's character in MDTF wasn't recognized because it is a daily drama with so many episodes so no one watched it. I'm glad that he got known in Gu Family Book and after that became more popular. ^^

spoiler comments from EC and MDTF in spoiler tag

MDTF is just so sweet and it is a real drama. Sang Huyk went through a lot of emotions. I actually like that Jin Hyuk chose a different character like he said for EC because Chang Min is a lot more mature. But unfortunately there weren't that many scenes that Jin Hee was being all lovey-dovey with CM at all. I think a lot of it was CM doing until later JH decided to switch on. There was one scene of JH taking care of CM while he was sick while they gave Kknit-nim too many times doing it to Sang Hyuk which made me awwwwwwing over it as I watched. lol. So I like SH because he is a little different than CM and it showed other sides of Jin Hyuk. I don't mind watching him sleep in MDTF. Too cute sleeping. And it seems like SH & KN have everything a couple needs. I just saw back and it looked like they're having a boy together.

Mishiellie said: OH!! ARE WE ALLOWED to have others make changes now on the thread??? yay!!! I see the thread title changing!! this pleases me so